PDA

View Full Version : The curse of the NFC South: Atlanta wins division in 2008

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Strange fact about the NFC South: Since its inception in 2002, the team that finished in last place in the division ALWAYS goes on to win the division the following year. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself.

Im a little nervous saying this, but trends are trends. I know that they are rebuilding. But stranger things have happened. The Atlanta Falcons were last in the division last year, meaning they have to win it this year. Just thought I'd share that with you

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
I've always thought this was really interesting. Too bad the AFC South hasn't been like that!

I say this every year but I can't see that 'curse' staying a live this season. I kinda hope it continues though, it's pretty cool. Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 09:56 PM
Its weird because after the Saints 06 season, everyone was sure there was no way any team, least of all Tampa Bay, could win the NFC South. Then they broke out 11 wins and NO was stuck at 7. Weird division for sure

J-Russ
08-25-2008, 10:09 PM
Strange fact about the NFC South: Since its inception in 2002, the team that finished in last place in the division ALWAYS goes on to win the division the following year. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself.

And before last year, the first place team always finish in last the next year. The Saints broke that curse last year, thus breaking the curse all together this year? Who's know. One thing I know is that sooner or later someone is going to break the cycle. The Heisman curse for example, had a history of NFL busts, until Palmer came into the league. Now the cycle restarts with Leinhart, Bush, etc.

With all that said, I think Matt Ryan is going to be the next biggest thing in the NFL, and he'll led them to the playoffs this year against a inconsistent NFC South.

bah007
08-25-2008, 10:41 PM
And before last year, the first place team always finish in last the next year. The Saints broke that curse last year, thus breaking the curse all together this year? Who's know. One thing I know is that sooner or later someone is going to break the cycle. The Heisman curse for example, had a history of NFL busts, until Palmer came into the league. Now the cycle restarts with Leinhart, Bush, etc.

With all that said, I think Matt Ryan is going to be the next biggest thing in the NFL, and he'll led them to the playoffs this year against a inconsistent NFC South.

I don't see the Falcons getting past Carolina. I think Peppers is gonna bounce back & carry the defense & their RB duo is starting to look scary. On top of that, they get Delhomme back, who had 8 TDs in three games before he got injured last year.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2008, 10:47 PM

That's not true. If that was true, it would just be the same two teams swapping positions every year.

Here's the reality:

Tampa Bay - 12-4
Atlanta - 9-6-1
Saints - 9-7
Panthers - 7-9

Panthers - 11-5
Saints - 8-8
Buccs - 7-9
Falcons - 5-11

Falcons - 11-5
Saints - 8-8
Panthers - 7-9
Buccs - 5-11

Buccs - 11-5
Panthers - 11-5
Falcons - 8-8
Saints - 3-13

Saints - 10-6
Panthers - 8-8
Falcons - 7-9
Buccs - 4-12

Buccs - 9-7
Panthers - 7-9
Saints - 7-9
Falcons - 4-12

J-Russ
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
That's not true. If that was true, it would just be the same two teams swapping positions every year.

Whoops, proved me wrong. Could've sworn they said that last year on one of the pre-game show. I should have done some research before posting that. Still every cycle must come to an end at one point.

Silver Oak
08-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I think it could be better stated that the NFC South is very inconsistent in strength of teams from season to season. At least compared to our division.

Koolaid Time
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Take into account that the Falcon's offensive line ranks right up there with the Texans circa 2002.

Ryan better be tough, because the kid WILL take some hits..

ATXtexanfan
08-26-2008, 09:23 PM
hard to imagine atlanta doing anything other than sucking

gtexan02
09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
2-1, currently in 1st. Weird

kastofsna
09-24-2008, 06:24 PM
Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?
no way. he's played average against two miserable defenses, and unbelievably horrendous against the Bucs. looks like every other rookie QB right now

Ryan
09-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Matt Ryan's job is easy right now the way The Burner is running.

Ole Miss Texan
10-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Still a possibility but their defense is going to have to step up. I'm so glad I have Michael Turner on my fantasy team.

gtexan02
10-14-2008, 02:25 PM
You may call me "Gtexan02 Seer of the NFL"

gtexan02
11-12-2008, 04:16 PM
dee-doo-dee-doo dee-doo-dee-doo

Freaky

Carolina Panthers 7 2
Atlanta Falcons 6 3
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 6 3
New Orleans Saints 4 5

Getting closer

gtexan02
11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I've always thought this was really interesting. Too bad the AFC South hasn't been like that!

I say this every year but I can't see that 'curse' staying a live this season. I kinda hope it continues though, it's pretty cool. Might go ahead and predict Matt Ryan wins O.R.O.Y.?

I think Ryans got a great shot

TimeKiller
11-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Him or Chris Johnson from the Titans.

Ole Miss Texan
12-30-2008, 03:18 PM

Im a little nervous saying this, but trends are trends. I know that they are rebuilding. But stranger things have happened. The Atlanta Falcons were last in the division last year, meaning they have to win it this year. Just thought I'd share that with you

Way to go gtexan. Even though Atlanta didn't win the division you could still say "since it's inception, the last place team in the division made the playoffs the following year."

Matty Ice with the OROY
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9006498/Falcons'-Ryan-wins-top-offensive-rookie-honor?MSNHPHMA

kastofsna
12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
pretty damn good division. too bad Miami has to face them next year. and the AFC South, too. in fact (to go completely off-topic), next year's Dolphins schedule is the hardest the NFL has seen since 1999. great. just great.

Vinny
12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
no way. he's played average against two miserable defenses, and unbelievably horrendous against the Bucs. looks like every other rookie QB right nowgood grief you are the most consistent poster ever on our boards...congrats.

kastofsna
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
3 games

unlike most folks around here, i don't just pick a random opinion and stick to it. if it changes, then it changes. clearly Ryan has played a lot better since the first two games, one of which he was horrendous in