PDA

View Full Version : The Turk

MojoMan
08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Who is the Turk for the Texans?

The deadline for the first cut to 75 is tomorrow, and the deadline for the final cut to 53 is on Saturday.

The Turk should probably be starting his grisly task today.

El Tejano
08-25-2008, 10:15 AM
IDK, but there are some players that should be glad it aint me.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Considering we only have to cut 5 players, I don't expect to see any surprises.

Although, after Friday's performance I'd be whackin people left and right.

mancunian
08-25-2008, 10:33 AM
who do you think the first 5 will be?

powerfuldragon
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
matthew?

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2008, 10:43 AM
who do you think the first 5 will be?

C Mark Fenton, TE Ryan Klause, DT Gabe Long, T Cliff Washington, WR Darnell Jenkins.

EDIT: Everytime I see 'The Turk' listed... I think that's the nickname for Matt Turk.

Corrosion
08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
IDK, but there are some players that should be glad it aint me.

A.Green , C.Brown , and A.Weaver on your list ? .... they are sure on mine. :voodoo:

Hervoyel
08-25-2008, 11:07 AM
C Mark Fenton, TE Ryan Klause, DT Gabe Long, T Cliff Washington, WR Darnell Jenkins.

EDIT: Everytime I see 'The Turk' listed... I think that's the nickname for Matt Turk.

I think they should make Matt Turk actually BE "The Turk" and go round telling people "Coach wants to see you in his office.....bring your playbook" in a real somber voice.

What's the point of having a "Turk" on your team if he isn't THE Turk?

Texan_Bill
08-25-2008, 11:39 AM

Matt Turk's nickname was "God"!!!

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
I thought that was Chadwick Stanley's nickname?

Texan_Bill
08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I thought that was Chadwick Stanley's nickname?

It was..... I just wanted to carry the tradition of our punters being God over to Turk.... :tease:

Sideline
08-25-2008, 12:15 PM
I think they should make Matt Turk actually BE "The Turk" and go round telling people "Coach wants to see you in his office.....bring your playbook" in a real somber voice.

What's the point of having a "Turk" on your team if he isn't THE Turk?

Sucks to be him on the day (hopefully a long way in the future) when he has to tell himself to go to the coaches office.

On the subject of cuts, did anybody see the Chiefs hard knocks series last year when they messed with a guy telling him he was cut before telling him they were playing with him.

powerfuldragon
08-25-2008, 01:29 PM
It was..... I just wanted to carry the tradition of our punters being God over to Turk.... :tease:
it's not a tradition. it's a fact.:texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I came across this old (2001) article from the Sporting News......"WHEN THE TURK COMES A KNOCKIN'" (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_36_225/ai_78400281)

It is dated by such facts as a 5 man practice squad, but the general principles and strategies teams use in timing their cuts are still germaine and interesting.

Joe Texan
08-25-2008, 03:44 PM
I would love to be the Turk

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Cook is the first gone.

Per the Chron article on Harry Williams.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5963831.html

stiff
08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Cook is the first gone.

Per the Chron article on Harry Williams.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5963831.html

The Texans also re-signed Joe Abbate to take Cook's spot.

kiwitexansfan
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Krause will not be cut in the first round, he actually might make the roster depending on the FB situation.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2008, 05:04 PM
The Texans also re-signed Joe Abbate to take Cook's spot.

We knew that Abbate was signed yesterday. With Cook and Williams gone, that means only 4 remain.

Ole Miss Texan
08-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Krause will not be cut in the first round, he actually might make the roster depending on the FB situation.

When are the cuts to 53...Saturday? I forgot that the tragedy to Harry Williams will be accounted for.

C Mark Fenton, WR Harry Williams, DT Gabe Long, T Cliff Washington, WR Darnell Jenkins. Although two less wr's may be unlikely during the first cut. (?)

MojoMan
08-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Texans make first cuts (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4559)

The Texans announced their roster moves Tuesday to get under the NFL-mandated 75-man roster limit.

The team released fullback Jameel Cook and wide receiver Tim Carter, and waived guard Mark Fenton. Also, the team officially placed wide receiver Harry Williams on the reserve injured list along with offensive lineman Scott Jackson, who has suffered from plantar fasciitis this preseason.

Finally, cornerback Dunta Robinson was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list. He has been making steady progress in his rehabilitation from severe knee and hamstring injuries that he suffered at Oakland last season.

Cook joined the Texans in 2006 and played in 10 games that year. This past season, as a backup to Vonta Leach, Cook participated in every game and contributed on special teams.

A former second-round pick of the New York Giants, Carter signed with Houston in May. He caught one pass for 16 yards in the preseason opener against the Denver Broncos.

Fenton spent last season on the Denver Broncos’ practice squad and signed with the Texans in May.

HOU-TEX
08-26-2008, 03:46 PM
I guess we've been unsuccessful at working a deal with Weary? I'm hoping we're able to re-sign the big fella. I think we need him.

Hervoyel
08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Sucks to be him on the day (hopefully a long way in the future) when he has to tell himself to go to the coaches office.

On the subject of cuts, did anybody see the Chiefs hard knocks series last year when they messed with a guy telling him he was cut before telling him they were playing with him.

Yeah but he'll never see it coming because he doesn't have a playbook I bet. He's only got like what? Two plays? He'll go in the coaches office and they'll tell him they're releasing him and he'll be like "Whoa! I never saw that coming!".

He kicks or he holds or he chills on the sideline. That's his job description. I wonder if he could have the radio in his helmet for the punts just to feel more involved in things. He'd be like "Yeah, ok....They're telling me to kick it now guys! Get Ready!"

funny mental picture (to me at least).

hadaad
08-26-2008, 04:43 PM
A wristband with his plays diagrammed out for him, with notes:
"LACES OUT" and such.

threetoedpete
08-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Well looks like Pittman is still clinging to the roster. Next ones are going to sting.

Think it's very decent and I'm very proud of our owner BTW for carrying Harry Williams and not settling him out. We've got a great owner. Bud Adams isn't fit to clean the toe jam out of Mr. McNair's toe nails in comparison.

Look, what I've seen this preseason is they are loaded at center/guard....with guys who are agile and fit the system....just saying. Infatrycak called me crazy last month...it's coming.

HOU-TEX
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Well looks like Pittman is still clinging to the roster. Next ones are going to sting.

Think it's very decent and I'm very proud of our owner BTW for carrying Harry Williams and not settling him out. We've got a great owner. Bud Adams isn't fit to clean the toe jam out of Mr. McNair's toe nails in comparison.

Look, what I've seen this preseason is they are loaded at center/guard....with guys who are agile and fit the system....just saying. Infatrycak called me crazy last month...it's coming.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say....he might not be the only one that thinks that.

BTW, the toe jam comment was pretty funny.

:spit:

mancunian
08-27-2008, 03:31 AM
I guess we've been unsuccessful at working a deal with Weary? I'm hoping we're able to re-sign the big fella. I think we need him.
We stuck Fred Weary on IR last week

HOU-TEX
08-27-2008, 10:02 AM
We stuck Fred Weary on IR last week

Yeah, I know, but there was talk of an injury settlement and a possible re-sign. :thinking:

cuppacoffee
08-27-2008, 10:21 AM

End of the line for Bruener?

:coffee:

dalemurphy
08-27-2008, 10:32 AM
End of the line for Bruener?

:coffee:

Hopefully. I don't know how he can earn the job on the field. He's so old and stiff. Even though he's a good blocker, not really for this scheme where athleticism is at a premium.

MojoMan
08-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know who "the Turk" actually is for the Texans?

Or maybe he wears a black hood and nobody knows his true identity.

eric138
08-27-2008, 01:14 PM
A guy I know knows the actual turk. It is David Carr's brother Hulk.

no kidding.

hadaad
08-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I guess that makes sense, since Carr himself was visited.