PDA

View Full Version : Coveted Castoffs

RasTaofarI
08-25-2008, 01:52 AM
which players likely to be cut (40-60%) from other teams would you like to see the texans bring in?

Alex Smith?
TJ Duckett?

i like what i've seen from amendola and austin (WRs) on hard knocks

LonerATO
08-25-2008, 02:39 AM
Austin isn't going anywhere JJ likes him too much and I don't think we need Amendola with the emergence of Anderson

Silver Oak
08-25-2008, 07:24 AM
for me, basically any CB with some skills who gets caught in a numbers game on their former team.

Corrosion
08-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Someone , Anyone to replace Richard Smith .....

TheCD
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM
There's a guy named Daniel Polk who plays for the Cowboys. Was an UFA this year out of Midwestern State (my school). He was a killer D-II QB trying to convert to WR. While we're heavy at that position, his work ethic is outstanding and he's an awesome guy. I would love to see him here.

Lucky
08-25-2008, 10:19 AM
for me, basically any CB with some skills who gets caught in a numbers game on their former team.
Right. Also, the Texans should look at some vet DEs who might be cut loose. A fullback who can catch. A backup guard with ZBS experience. A punt returner. There's still room for improvement on this team.

hadaad
08-25-2008, 10:32 AM
I saw that Josh Gattis was released by the Packers. I don't know if he's a keeper but he might be worth bringing in for a look.

Hottoddie
08-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Let's take a look at DeShawn Wynn (RB). He's got good size & speed. Anyone know what style of play he's best suited for?

dalemurphy
08-25-2008, 08:13 PM

It's going to be pretty tough for someone like that to fall to us on the waiver wire- especially if you're suggesting they would be a noticable upgrade over some of Fletcher (who's looked great), Reeves, Molden, Faggins, Roberson... I mean, quality CBs just aren't released. I think we have excellent depth at CB this year. However, until Dunta returns, our starting lineup is a little weak and NO waiver acquisition is going to fix that.

b0ng
08-25-2008, 08:17 PM
i like what i've seen from amendola and austin (WRs) on hard knocks

I think the Cowboys traded something to get Amendola (Or maybe I'm thinking of a different player with a wierd last name that begins with A), and I believe Austin is hurt until midway through the season.

I'm hoping the Giants can't keep all of Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, and Ahmad Bradshaw. Any one of those guys would do fine.

J-Russ
08-25-2008, 10:13 PM
from rotoworld.com:

"Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren acknowledged Wednesday (aug 20th) that T.J. Duckett is in danger of not making the 53-man roster.
Duckett's two-fumble performance in the exhibition opener could spell his end in Seattle. The Seahawks could go with rookie Justin Forsett over him."

He's gotta be top on the list. He ran for 46 yards on 6 attempts in today's game.

TexanSam
08-25-2008, 11:05 PM
He's gotta be top on the list. He ran for 46 yards on 6 attempts in today's game.

Plus he was with the Falcons while Gibbs was there. I'd take him over Ahman Green and Chris Brown.

mussop
08-26-2008, 07:04 AM
DeShawn Wynn has to be a better option than Marcel Shipp.

Cameron Stephenson looks like the kind of player that Gibbs is famous for coaching up. Old scouting report = Strengths: Pretty good athlete...Mobile with decent range...Adequate bulk...Holds his water at the point...Versatile and could play multiple positions...Extremely tough...Hard worker...Is effective as both a run and pass blocker...Still has a load of potential. Weaknesses: Size is just average outside...Real raw...Has never been allowed to master one position...Will need a lot of coaching from

El Tejano
08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
Someone asked if we would trade for Rudi Johnson from Cincy. First of all, I wouldn't trade a WR because that is our position of strength right now. Second, I would wait til they have to cut him and get him for nothing.

dalemurphy
08-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Someone asked if we would trade for Rudi Johnson from Cincy. First of all, I wouldn't trade a WR because that is our position of strength right now. Second, I would wait til they have to cut him and get him for nothing.

If a team wants Rudi, the thing to do is trade a 6th for him. That way you aren't bidding against other teams. He's yours. Also, we are 18th in priority on waivers, so 17 teams can claim him before we can.

maddogmrb
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
In order of priority:

OLB
DE
CB
DT
OG
RB
S

:fans:

HOU-TEX
08-26-2008, 09:25 AM

I don't think Cincy will cut him. From what NFLN said last night, they're just throwing Rudy's name out there to see if they can get a "legitimate WR" for him. I guess since CJ has a partially torn labrum they're looking for help.

dalemurphy
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
In order of priority:

OLB
DE
CB
DT
OG
RB
S

:fans:

Boy, I disagree with that list:

OLB- we have Diles, Adibi, CThompson, Bentley, Greenwood... I don't see an improvement over that group becoming available. I really believe that CThompson will be a playmaker for us. And, while I'm not in love with Greenwood, he can hold down the fort for Adibi, until next year when he's added 10 lbs to his frame

DE- I think a rotation of Kalu, Cochran, CThompson and/or Colvin will be fairly effective.

CB- We have excellent depth this year. My guess is that Fletcher will win the starting job over Reeves for week one unless something changes quickly. Then, we still have Molden, Dunta coming back, a very promising Roberson, and Petey Faggins (who has had a good preseason and is solid in man coverage)

DT- This is something we might find. A big space-eater that can play on running downs. I'm hoping for this!

OG- another possibility with the loss of depth because of the Spencer cut, Weary injury, and crappiness of Studdard.

RB- perhaps someone of interest will allow the team to release CBrown and AGreen, since both are totally unreliable.

S- We've already got good depth and difficult cuts to make. I don't see how an improvement will be found on the waiver wire.

The issue isn't the backend of the team, it's some starting positions. These waiver pickups improve depth. Unless your team stinks you will rarely find a starter quality player available- particularly since we are 18th in waiver priority.

Hervoyel
08-26-2008, 11:14 AM
...The issue isn't the backend of the team, it's some starting positions. These waiver pickups improve depth. Unless your team stinks you will rarely find a starter quality player available- particularly since we are 18th in waiver priority.

That's really the case here. The only way we're going to improve a starting position through cuts here is if somebody makes a big mistake and there are a bunch of teams lined up in front of us waiting for that same mistake.

It's just terribly unlikely that anyone gets cut who will bail us out at any of our weaker spots. We just need to see what our coaches can make out of the players we have. It's going to be a long season watching the defense this year.

dalemurphy
08-26-2008, 11:26 AM
That's really the case here. The only way we're going to improve a starting position through cuts here is if somebody makes a big mistake and there are a bunch of teams lined up in front of us waiting for that same mistake.

It's just terribly unlikely that anyone gets cut who will bail us out at any of our weaker spots. We just need to see what our coaches can make out of the players we have. It's going to be a long season watching the defense this year.

I'm a little more hopeful than you are. I'm very encouraged by Fletcher's performance at CB, which we missed vs. the Cowboys. I think Bennett looks great. Dunta will be back. Molden should continue to improve. .. So, I'm feeling pretty good about this group actually.

I'm worried about the cuts at Safety. I feel like BHarrison really needs to be on this team. He is the only hope we have at a really good cover safety. That's something I'm really wanting to see- his name on the final roster.

Also, as we get into the season, I think we'll see plays from Adibi and CThompson, along with Diles and Demeco.

I even feel good about the other DE- between Kalu, Cochran, COlvin, and Thompson.

My real concern is DT. Okoye needs to get better and we need a run stuffer or Okam to get better in a hurry. All that being said, I think there will be games when the defense looks great. I think we have enough guys to make plays every game and winning the turnover battle, regardless of the yards we give up will make this team a winner- I'm expecting the offense to put up some impressive numbers this season.

But yeah, there will be times when I'm going to be very frustrated.

Specnatz
08-26-2008, 11:35 AM

While I agree in principle with this, not always the case with a runningback. That is what I think we can find thru the waiver wire process.

JWarren14
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Let's take a look at DeShawn Wynn (RB). He's got good size & speed. Anyone know what style of play he's best suited for?

He is best suited to log a lot of carries in the nurses office:

"The injury-plagued Wynn missed a combination of nine practices and two exhibition games due to concussion and ankle injuries this summer. During his absence, rookie free agent Kregg Lumpkin took advantage of increased playing time and put himself in contention for a roster spot.

Last year, Wynn started four of the Packers' first seven games and led the team with 50 carries for 203 yards and four touchdowns before a shoulder injury landed him on injured reserve. A stomach virus and then a quadriceps pull limited his time in training camp as a rookie."

What would the medical bill look like with Wynn, Brown, and Green?

Blog (http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/08/25/wynn-among-3-released-harrell-s-season-over.aspx)

threetoedpete
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
I didn't see anyone worth a roster spot. Next week...might be some temptation.

Outside of their running back situation....and what I heard Kubiack say in his interview Monday....they're living with what they've got. Brown might be gone...but they've put all of their chips on Green and an improvement from Okoye. And of course improvement from Reeves. They still believe in Reeves, and therefore so do I. That's it. If all three of those things are a disaster, then the season is a disaster. No one on the '08 waiver wire is going to change that.
Kubiak and Smith have pushed their chips into the middle of the table with these three things. Green has to play and play for long stretches of the season. Okoye must improve. Reeves must get much better at finding the ball in flight and reading receivers. That's your 2008 season in a pea pod. Love it or leave it.

Silver Oak
08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
The Chicago Bears have announced that they have terminated the contract of cornerback Ricky Manning.

The Bears signed Manning to an offer sheet in 2006, days before he was involved in an incident at a Westwood, California Denny’s in which a guy with a laptop got the microchip pounded out of him.

Manning later pleaded no contest to the charges, and then professed his innocence.

He was a third-round pick of the Panthers in 2003. Because he is a vested veteran, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/26/bears-bounce-ricky-manning/

Silver Oak
08-29-2008, 02:14 PM
I guess I just have a soft spot for other teams castoffs as I won't let this thread die away...

Ryan Moats, who once ran for 114 yards on just 11 carries in a game against the Giants, was among eight players the Eagles released this afternoon as they begin reducing the roster toward the regular-season limit of 53.

Moats rushed for 114 yards in his fourth NFL game back in 2005 and 78 yards a week later against the Rams. But he had just 105 rushing yards on 39 carries (2.7 average) since then and missed all of last year with injuries. He sprained his ankle at practice a couple weeks ago and hadn’t practiced since. The Eagles placed him on the waived-injured list, which means he’ll get a small injury settlement.

The Eagles also released wide receiver Bam Childress, cornerbacks Therrian Fontenot and Nick Graham, wide receiver Jamal Jones, safety Marcus Paschal, offensive lineman Stefan Rodgers and lineabacker Pago Togafau.

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=33694&cat=9

76Texan
08-29-2008, 03:06 PM
I guess I just have a soft spot for other teams castoffs as I won't let this thread die away...

Ryan Moats, who once ran for 114 yards on just 11 carries in a game against the Giants, was among eight players the Eagles released this afternoon as they begin reducing the roster toward the regular-season limit of 53.

Moats rushed for 114 yards in his fourth NFL game back in 2005 and 78 yards a week later against the Rams. But he had just 105 rushing yards on 39 carries (2.7 average) since then and missed all of last year with injuries. He sprained his ankle at practice a couple weeks ago and hadn’t practiced since. The Eagles placed him on the waived-injured list, which means he’ll get a small injury settlement.

The Eagles also released wide receiver Bam Childress, cornerbacks Therrian Fontenot and Nick Graham, wide receiver Jamal Jones, safety Marcus Paschal, offensive lineman Stefan Rodgers and lineabacker Pago Togafau.

http://blogs.phillyburbs.com/blog.php?p=33694&cat=9For a long while, Moats was a fumbling machine. Dunno if he had it corrected it or not. Well, if they cut him....

CLTEXAN_FAN
08-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Boy, I disagree with that list:

OLB- we have Diles, Adibi, CThompson, Bentley, Greenwood... I don't see an improvement over that group becoming available. I really believe that CThompson will be a playmaker for us. And, while I'm not in love with Greenwood, he can hold down the fort for Adibi, until next year when he's added 10 lbs to his frame

DE- I think a rotation of Kalu, Cochran, CThompson and/or Colvin will be fairly effective.

CB- We have excellent depth this year. My guess is that Fletcher will win the starting job over Reeves for week one unless something changes quickly. Then, we still have Molden, Dunta coming back, a very promising Roberson, and Petey Faggins (who has had a good preseason and is solid in man coverage)

DT- This is something we might find. A big space-eater that can play on running downs. I'm hoping for this!

OG- another possibility with the loss of depth because of the Spencer cut, Weary injury, and crappiness of Studdard.

RB- perhaps someone of interest will allow the team to release CBrown and AGreen, since both are totally unreliable.S- We've already got good depth and difficult cuts to make. I don't see how an improvement will be found on the waiver wire.

The issue isn't the backend of the team, it's some starting positions. These waiver pickups improve depth. Unless your team stinks you will rarely find a starter quality player available- particularly since we are 18th in waiver priority.

I dont think there is any chance at all of Green getting cut. With his new contract if he isnt reliable this year he will never be and he should be gone next year.

texasguy346
08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
The Jets cut Jesse Chatman. I'd be interested to see what he can do for the Texans. He'd be more worthy of a roster spot than Chris Brown.

Silver Oak
08-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Sam Madison and R.W. McQuarters could be released by the NYG's on Saturday.

"Of course, in some of the bubble cases Saturday, the player did pan out but is caught in a numbers game. That's definitely the case with Madison and McQuarters, two vital members of last year's championship team. Madison, 34, was a starter last season and McQuarters, 31, clinched two playoff victories with interceptions. But now it appears the starters are Aaron Ross and Corey Webster, with promising youngsters behind them in Kevin Dockery and rookie Terrell Thomas. It is unclear whether Coughlin will keep all six. "

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/29/2008-08-29_veterans_facing_axe_as_giants_get_set_to.html

Corrosion
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM

"Of course, in some of the bubble cases Saturday, the player did pan out but is caught in a numbers game. That's definitely the case with Madison and McQuarters, two vital members of last year's championship team. Madison, 34, was a starter last season and McQuarters, 31, clinched two playoff victories with interceptions. But now it appears the starters are Aaron Ross and Corey Webster, with promising youngsters behind them in Kevin Dockery and rookie Terrell Thomas. It is unclear whether Coughlin will keep all six. "

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/2008/08/29/2008-08-29_veterans_facing_axe_as_giants_get_set_to.html

Hard to evaluate those two guy's considering the pass rush that they were afforded ..... But I'd be willing to wager that either would be an upgrade over Reeves . The question becomes two fold .... A) does another team ahead of the Texans take a shot at either via waivers ? and if not B) How long would it take for either to get acclimated with the defense to the point of being effective ? :thinking:

Thorn
08-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Hard to evaluate those two guy's considering the pass rush that they were afforded ..... But I'd be willing to wager that either would be an upgrade over Reeves . The question becomes two fold .... A) does another team ahead of the Texans take a shot at either via waivers ? and if not B) How long would it take for either to get acclimated with the defense to the point of being effective ? :thinking:

I'd pretty much take anybody over Reeves. I'd put Faggins ahead of Reeves.

I understand the need for signing anyone who has experience, and I didn't mind the signing of Reeves except for his paycheck. He IS NOT worth the money he is being paid.

Corrosion
08-30-2008, 10:46 AM

I understand the need for signing anyone who has experience, and I didn't mind the signing of Reeves except for his paycheck. He IS NOT worth the money he is being paid.

Yeah , I've said in a few other threads that Reeves makes me long for a Peety sighting ...... Also I agree that the only thing wrong with the signing was the value of the contract .... I wouldnt mind him as the nickle / dime guy but he's getting starter dollars (and playing time at least until Dunta is ready) .... and definately not starter material.

Lucky
08-30-2008, 11:09 AM
The Jets cut Jesse Chatman. I'd be interested to see what he can do for the Texans. He'd be more worthy of a roster spot than Chris Brown.
Chatman's agent (through PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)) says that Chatman will not be cut or traded.

"The Jets did not release Jesse Chatman, nor will they,” agent Brett Tessler said. “And they are not trying to trade him like another paper reported.”I'm very interested in the cuts from the Cards and the Jags. Both teams have a plethora of pass rushers, and some vets could get cut in a youth movement. Also, ex-Texan 1st rounder Jason Babin may be on the move in Seattle. Yeah, he was a disappointment here. But, he's probably a better situational pass rusher than what's currently on the roster.

Specnatz
08-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Chatman's agent (through PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/)) says that Chatman will not be cut or traded.

I'm very interested in the cuts from the Cards and the Jags. Both teams have a plethora of pass rushers, and some vets could get cut in a youth movement. Also, ex-Texan 1st rounder Jason Babin may be on the move in Seattle. Yeah, he was a disappointment here. But, he's probably a better situational pass rusher than what's currently on the roster.

I am guessing that this was suppossed to say IF Jesse Chatman is cut .....

Lucky
08-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I am guessing that this was suppossed to say IF Jesse Chatman is cut .....
There was a report out of the NJ Star-Ledger (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/08/jets_set_to_rehire_special_tea.html) that Chatman was to be cut. I'm sure that's the report texasguy saw. Chatman's agent called PFT to claim that the report was false. Which makes sense, seeing that cutting Chatman (and Jehuu Caulcrick) would leave just Thomas Jones & Leon Washington as the only RBs on the roster.

The Jets are reportedly also releasing LB Matt Chatham. That may be where the confusion came from (Chatham/Chatman?).

Silver Oak
08-30-2008, 12:08 PM

I'll reserve judgement on that until the season gets started. I think Reeves is quicker than Faggins, but all the pundits seem to think he's less physical.

Lucky
08-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Reeves is quicker than Faggins, but all the pundits seem to think he's less physical.
The Texans have talked about how they want to play more man coverage on the outside. Presumably, so they can blitz more. Faggins is horrible when he has to turn and run with receivers. But, he's OK in a zone, where he can look at the QB and break on the ball. Petey should be a cover 2 corner.

Reeves was brought in because he was a better fit in man coverage. We have yet to see that on the field. Reeves also doesn't seem to possess good ball skills or recognition in zone coverage. Other than run fast, I'm not sure what skill Reeves has. The rookie Molden also runs fast. Which is why I would just as soon see Molden on the field as Reeves.

The Texans secondary would be best served playing zone defense, like a cover 2. The problem is that there isn't enough pass rush generated by the front 4 alone. I think when the light comes on for Okoye, as it did for Mario last season, the pass rush problems could resolve itself. Until then, I think the Texans should play zone and force the opposing QBs to beat them underneath. That would make Faggins a better choice at corner than Reeves.

beerlover
08-30-2008, 01:02 PM
The Texans have talked about how they want to play more man coverage on the outside. Presumably, so they can blitz more. Faggins is horrible when he has to turn and run with receivers. But, he's OK in a zone, where he can look at the QB and break on the ball. Petey should be a cover 2 corner.

Reeves was brought in because he was a better fit in man coverage. We have yet to see that on the field. Reeves also doesn't seem to possess good ball skills or recognition in zone coverage. Other than run fast, I'm not sure what skill Reeves has. The rookie Molden also runs fast. Which is why I would just as soon see Molden on the field as Reeves.

The Texans secondary would be best served playing zone defense, like a cover 2. The problem is that there isn't enough pass rush generated by the front 4 alone. I think when the light comes on for Okoye, as it did for Mario last season, the pass rush problems could resolve itself. Until then, I think the Texans should play zone and force the opposing QBs to beat them underneath. That would make Faggins a better choice at corner than Reeves.

great post :thumbup I would only add Reeves was expected to add another dimension lost when Dunta went down- the ability to play press coverage. still think it was a prudent signing so hopefully we can hang in there until Robinsons return. Eventually Molden & Bennett are your corners with Dunta @ FS. Reeves gives the Texans rotation & depth while Faggins can be added in zone packages as you mentioned.

Lucky
08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
RB Rudi Johnson has been cut by the Bengals (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6997).

Specnatz
08-30-2008, 01:59 PM
If he clears waivers I say drop Brown and give him a shot what is the worse yhay could happen he gets injured, like Brown is not already.

Shaft75
08-30-2008, 02:30 PM
RB Rudi Johnson has been cut by the Bengals (http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6997).

He is not a one-cut-and-go type of back that this team needs.

I say we leave that one alone.

ObsiWan
08-30-2008, 02:34 PM

there's Kubiak's "veteran" RB...
I wonder what kind of paycheck he'd expect...?

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Rudi! Rudi! Rudi! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7ZpLgkVxA&feature=related)

I say bring him on. It wouldn't kill us to try him out, maybe it will kill the RB, but not us.

I think starting to warm up to the Kubiak/Smith idea of collecting broken down, pass their prime, glass runningbacks.

BigBull17
08-30-2008, 02:41 PM

Must I remind you of Lee Evans? There is no reason in this world that Faggins should make this team over anyone.

ObsiWan
08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Must I remind you of Lee Evans? There is no reason in this world that Faggins should make this team over anyone.

Yes there is.
He's a good special teams player.
That return for a TD shows what happens when you don't have good S/Ts.

Hottoddie
08-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Trae Williams (CB) was released. Anyone still interested in him?

LonerATO
08-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Trae for sure and hey how about we grow a pair and take a hard look at Tommy Blake and look past his issue. I am serious when I say that because I think he could be the DE we need opposite of Mario.

ObsiWan
08-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Trae for sure and hey how about we grow a pair and take a hard look at Tommy Blake and look past his issue. I am serious when I say that because I think he could be the DE we need opposite of Mario.

from Wiki....
Instead of attending the NFL Scouting Combine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Scouting_Combine), Blake underwent several psychological tests in a nearby Indianapolis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis) hospital on February 24 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_24), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008). [5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Blake#cite_note-4) He took his first metaphorical step toward rebuilding his NFL draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_draft) stock at TCU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCU)'s pro day Thursday March 6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_6), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) when he showed up weighing 272 pounds[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Blake#cite_note-autogenerated4-2) and ran a hand-held time of 4.75 in the 40-yard dash, the same time run by top Defensive End prospect Chris Long (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Long) of The University of Virginia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_University_of_Virginia). He also had 23 reps in the 225-pound bench press, better than The University of Miami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_University_of_Miami)'s Calais Campbell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calais_Campbell)'s 16 reps or Clemson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemson_University)'s Phillip Merling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Merling)'s 17, and logged a 30 1/2-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 9 feet, 3 inches.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Blake#cite_note-autogenerated1-1) He now is rated as the 17th-best defensive end by NFLDraftScout.com (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=NFLDraftScout.com&action=edit&redlink=1)

...if he's mentally ready.
...what has he been doing since March? Has he shown any interest in football??

texasguy346
08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
The Bengals have waived Deltha O'Neal & Ahmad Brooks. O'Neal might be worth a look for his punt return ability, but he's already 31 & I don't think he'd help out much in coverage. Brooks is very talented, but he's got character issues. He might be worth a look though to see if Kubiak can turn him around.

Insideop
08-30-2008, 05:17 PM
great post :thumbup I would only add Reeves was expected to add another dimension lost when Dunta went down- the ability to play press coverage. still think it was a prudent signing so hopefully we can hang in there until Robinsons return. Eventually Molden & Bennett are your corners with Dunta @ FS. Reeves gives the Texans rotation & depth while Faggins can be added in zone packages as you mentioned.

I keep seeing this from posters, but I'm just not sold on the idea. At 5-10 and 174 lbs. that's not what I'd call an ideal size for a FS. I know he plays and hits like Bob Sanders, and Sanders, at 5-8 and 206 lbs., will probably not last much longer in this league if he keeps playing like he does (All out and hard hitting!), and he out weighs Dunta by 32 lbs! If Dunta gains that weight will he be as effective? Don't know. I just don't see it happening at this point in time. JMHO!

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Marcus Mason was cut from the Redskins.

"Despite leading the NFL in rushing during the 2008 preseason, Mason was released by the Redskins during final cuts on August 30." - Wiki

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=MAS191461

He was doing fairly well for the Skins during pre-season. Kubiak has been looking for another Ryan Grant, and Mason could be it.

Jerome McDougal, former first-round pick of Eagles, was also cut, despite a good pre-season. He could help us out at DE, so far he has been a bust in the NFL, but some people take longer to adjust to the NFL. He was also the player that got shot acouple a years ago, and was out for that season, which also hinder his development along with other past injuries.

A.J Davis was released from the Browns, a 4th rounder from the 2007 draft.

I'm hoping we can get Delta O'Neal. He would be a big help, but from what the Bengal's fans are saying, he seems unmotivated and lazy thus far in the season, despite having a pro-bowl season acouple of years ago.

Maddict5
08-30-2008, 06:07 PM
i see kynan forney in our futures... worked with gibbs in atl (forney in- studdard out imo )
i think we'll be looking hard at cb's and DE's too (qb too)

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Eagle's fans take on releasing JM.

I love how they put up with Mcdougle's ****, frustration, injuries, and first round contract for FIVE YEARS.

Then...when they need help at DE the most, when Mcdougle is getting paid squat, when he's finally healthy, and when he's finally eating opposing OL alive....THEY DECIDE TO CUT HIM.

It won't make too much of a difference...but a subtle move like this makes me completely question the competency and thought process of the decision-makers in this organization.

Cutting JM= Epic

Derrick Burgess

(He was also a former Eagle for four years. Was injured for most of his time there, went on to Oakland and well you know.)

Dude, He was either injured/shot or recovering from said bad luck.

The IMPORTANT thing is HE NEVER QUIT!!

Ever!! Dude has Heart.

I wish you luck Jerome and good fortune. You deserve it Bro.

I just wish it was in Eagles Green. Eagle_smiley.jpg

Isn't the FO brilliant. Pay him for 5 years to do **** and then cut him when he starts lighting it up with one cheap year left. Brilliant!

Mr teX
08-30-2008, 06:19 PM
we have got to get McDougle in here ASAP to help with this pass rush. Everything i'm hearing about his release says that he was just the odd man out. He's had some bad luck, but i've heard he had a good preseason & he's not too old, maybe the light has come on....

08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
hey guys! vernand morency is a free agent!

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 06:36 PM
hey guys! vernand morency is a free agent!

Can't believe we passed up Frank Gore and Marion the Barbarian for him. He was not the better prospect and was like 25 when we drafted him. What the heck was CC thinking? :mcnugget:

Edit: nm we just passed up Marion. Gore was taken 8 picks before him.

ObsiWan
08-30-2008, 07:28 PM
we have got to get McDougle in here ASAP to help with this pass rush. Everything i'm hearing about his release says that he was just the odd man out. He's had some bad luck, but i've heard he had a good preseason & he's not too old, maybe the light has come on....

now he might be worth a look.

.....but not if we have to cut Bulman or Cochran; those guys worked their way into the lineup

if anything dump Weaver for McDougle

ObsiWan
08-30-2008, 07:33 PM
NFL network just claimed that Chris Brown has a herniated disk - if so, we gotta go the settlement route

...right?

ArlingtonTexan
08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Marcus Mason was cut from the Redskins.

"Despite leading the NFL in rushing during the 2008 preseason, Mason was released by the Redskins during final cuts on August 30." - Wiki

http://www.nfl.com/players/gamelogs?id=MAS191461

He was doing fairly well for the Skins during pre-season. Kubiak has been looking for another Ryan Grant, and Mason could be it.

Jerome McDougal, former first-round pick of Eagles, was also cut, despite a good pre-season. He could help us out at DE, so far he has been a bust in the NFL, but some people take longer to adjust to the NFL. He was also the player that got shot acouple a years ago, and was out for that season, which would hinder had development.

A.J Davis was released from the Browns, a 4th rounder from the 2007 draft.

I'm hoping we can get Delta O'Neal. He would be a big help, but from what the Bengal's fans are saying, he seems unmotivated and lazy thus far in the season, despite having a pro-bowl season acouple of years ago.

Mcdougal looks to have been legitmately caught in a numbers game at DE in Philly. One of the better of these type of players to consider.

While not addressed in the post I am qoutoing, Rudi Johnson is a better name that football player. Had a terribel year last year under 3 yards a carry and had trouble staying healthy during this training camp. Familiar name, but really more of the same type of veteran that we have already seen over the last two or thre years.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2008, 08:19 PM
NFL network just claimed that Chris Brown has a herniated disk - if so, we gotta go the settlement route

...right?

Another example of a Texans diagnosis miraculously discovered after weeks of "back spasms?" The first test in a football player with severe back spasms should be to rule out disc herniation by MRI. In a person holding down a "normal" job, it can be treated conservatively without surgery in 90% of cases (if at 1 level) and recurrence at that level is about 5% and less so at a different level. And don't forget that we are talking about a herniated disc (bulging)........not an overtly ruptured disc. If rupture has occurred, surgery is usually the only reasonable alternative. For those who are unfortunate enough to require surgery, 60-90% can return to "normal" activity. When dealing with the monumental stresses on the spine of an active RB, all the statistics can go out the door for both conservative treatment and surgical success.

False Start
08-30-2008, 08:21 PM
This period after all the teams make their cuts is kind of fun, because you never know what you may come up with. If we could get some extra secondary help, and someone to replace that one guy we got from the Ravens.......... :thinking: that would be great. There are a lot of interesting names out there, I'm anxiuous to see what Scooby-Snack & Rick Smith can do! :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2008, 08:34 PM
from Wiki....

...if he's mentally ready.
...what has he been doing since March? Has he shown any interest in football??

Even the Girls who looked at him for the draft didn't feel like taking a chance. The very end of April, the Bucs took a look at him and chose not to invite him to minicamp. An unfortunate set of problems for a talented young man.

LonerATO
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm sure no one wants to take chance and that is weak. I bet he is ready as hell to play but sicne he has "issues" no one will touch him even with him taking pills. I guess it makes me mad because I think he is being black balled.

Andrew6
08-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Wonder if we can get Nehamiah Broughton off of waivers from the Redskins. I went to High school with him and he's a hell of a power runner. Logged up some major records at the Citadel

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Dre Moore was cut by the Bucs. He hasn't even played a single down in the regular season and he was already cut by a Team that used a 4th rounder on him(2008). Amazing. They must have seen no future in him whatsoever.

LonerATO
08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
thats nuts some mocks had us taking him in the 3rd

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 09:27 PM
thats nuts some mocks had us taking him in the 3rd

It's never too late. ;)

position:
DT
Class:
Sr
School:
Maryland
Conference:
ACC
Ht., Wt.:
6-4, 305
40 Time:

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors as a senior after career-high numbers of 63/8.5/6. Junior-year totals included 47/7.5/3.5.

POSITIVES: Athletic defensive lineman who flashes dominance. Plays with good pad level, strong in the middle of the field, and displays power on occasion. Possesses a closing burst, can quickly change direction, and pursues the action from the back side. Covers a lot of area on the field and displays good movement skills. Explodes on the scene and can be a one-man wrecking crew.

NEGATIVES: Must develop more moves with his hands and become quicker disengaging from blocks. Easily held up at the point and neutralized by lesser opponents. Wears down as the game goes on. Has a soft body.

ANALYSIS: Moore possesses the physical skills to be a top prospect, but he only occasionally shows them on the field. He could be a steal in the second round if he picks up the intensity of his game and plays to his ability.

PROJECTION: Middle Second Round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2008/draft/players/5145.html

Buc's fans said he balloned up to 320. Had the same pre-draft worries as Frank Okam, people fear he might lack motivations. But he has tremendous talent and potential to be a big time steal, just like Okam.

I see a team like the Bengals picking him up. They missed out on getting a good DT prospect in the draft when the Saints traded up ahead of them to get Sedrick Ellis.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2008, 09:29 PM

Madison will be staying with the Giants.

CloakNNNdagger
08-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Larry Triplett was released by the Bills. He's a three technique defensive tackle. A monster in college. Not very supported on the Bills DL. We need an effective three-technique tackle to compliment Okoye and Mario.

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2008, 09:53 PM
Danny Amendola

LonerATO
08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Danny Amendola = weaker Anderson

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2008, 10:35 PM

You think the Cowboys would resign a weaker Anderson ?

ArlingtonTexan
08-30-2008, 10:35 PM

amendola = anderson 2 years ago= welker 4 years ago. these type of guys take more than a summer before you write them off.

J-Russ
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
While we're on the David Anderson subject......

A God among men. David Kent Anderson (born July 28, 1983 in Westlake Village, California) is an American football wide receiver for the Houston Texans of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Houston Texans in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Colorado State. - Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Anderson_(American_football)

So who's the culprit behind this? David Anderson is not good enough to the point where people should be changing his wiki info, not yet atleast.:thumbdown

texasguy346
08-30-2008, 11:25 PM
The Bills released RB Dwayne Wright. Interesting because he was a fourth round pick in 07, and did fairly well when filling in due to injuries in front of him.

LonerATO
08-30-2008, 11:38 PM
amendola = anderson 2 years ago= welker 4 years ago. these type of guys take more than a summer before you write them off.

I am not trying to say Anderson is bad I am saying that we dont need Amendola. I mean as you said they take sometime to get going in this league and dont have the height to over power most cb's.

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I am not trying to say Anderson is bad I am saying that we dont need Amendola. I mean as you said they take sometime to get going in this league and dont have the height to over power most cb's.

As a punt returner or investment practice squad type player who will pay dividends ( safe pick ) ... I'm betting he'll be back .

Shaft75
08-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Hopefully Houston doesn't pick up Gustav from New Orleans......

Man, that was corny!

LonerATO
08-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Hopefully Houston doesn't pick up Gustav from New Orleans......

Man, that was corny!

..... cold

mexican_texan
08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
I hope Jonathan Scott sticks somewhere. Also, did Franklin Dunbar make the Eagles' roster?

I can't find Dunbar's info anywhere, other than he wasn't in the final list of cuts. Here's a bio if you've never heard of him, which is likely:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/FranklinDunbar.html

Two years ago, I watched Middle Tennessee play the school Dan Bazuin came from and I came away impressed with Dunbar, not Bazuin. There was literally nothing the opposing team could do to get past Dunbar.

Maddict5
08-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Larry Triplett was released by the Bills. He's a three technique defensive tackle. A monster in college. Not very supported on the Bills DL. We need an effective three-technique tackle to compliment Okoye and Mario.

im no expert on footballs technical terms but i believe a 3 tech is the last thing we need as that is what okoye, tj, bulman, deljuan etc already

my want list so far:
1. Jerome McDougle
2. Patrick Chukwurah
3. Dan Bazuin (just based off draft position although that could be a david carr situation)

Texanmike02
08-31-2008, 07:26 AM
Deltha O'neil
Rudy Johnson.

Mike

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Fernando Bryant...?
Jerome McDougle

but on the cheap

Hottoddie
08-31-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd like to see us take a look at one or more of these players, & in no particular order.

Victor DeGrate (DE)
Trae Williams (CB)
Deltha O'neal (CB) - He might still have another year or two in him & his experience alone would be worth it for the young guys.
Andy Studebaker (LB) - I was intrigued by his size & speed before the draft & still am. He's a tweener, but maybe we can make it work.
Eric Bakhtiari (DE) - I really like this kid. His motor never stops running. He could be the player we wanted Babin to be.
Keith Jackson (DT) - He's short, but solid as a rock against the run.
Andre Woodson (QB) - I'm sorry, but I'd have to take a look at this kid to see if he can get his head on straight.

Runner
08-31-2008, 12:28 PM
I don't know if I'd consider him coveted or not, but Adimchinobi Echemandu was cut by the Raiders yesterday. He had a nice 85 yard run in the pre-season against the Titans when Seth Wand took out the linebacker and sprung him. The Raiders are stacked at running back this year.

mexican_texan
08-31-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't know if I'd consider him coveted or not, but Adimchinobi Echemandu was cut by the Raiders yesterday. He had a nice 85 yard run in the pre-season against the Titans when Seth Wand took out the linebacker and sprung him. The Raiders are stacked at running back this year.
Didn't we have him in 06?

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 12:31 PM

Didn't we give him a shot here last year?
...put the ball on the ground IIRC...

Runner
08-31-2008, 12:31 PM
He did a stint here; that's why his name jumped out at me.

Silver Oak
08-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Rams signed Ricky Manning so scratch him off your list.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/20AAA130B8E6A43B862574B6006948EF?OpenDocument

Jackie Chiles
08-31-2008, 04:01 PM
According to Paul Kuharsky on the AFC South blog we picked up DE Stanley McClover from the Panthers and cut OT Cliff Washburn. Looking at the Panthers blogger it appears that McClover was one of the more surprising/disappointing cuts for the Panthers.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-3-192/Texans-add-DE-off-waivers--add-seven-to-practice-squad.html

Also has some info on the practice squad.

HJam72
08-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Didn't we give him a shot here last year?
...put the ball on the ground IIRC...

That may be true, but he got yardage and stayed healthy (I believe). ItchyManCanDoIt! :fans:

J-Russ
08-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Jerome McDougle is in talks with Giants, may have already signed with them. Not surprising since they're in big needs of a DE.

Star-Ledger - The Giants are reportedly talking to former Eagles defensive end Jerome McDougle and may have already signed him, according to Star-Ledger.

Philadelphia cut McDougle on Saturday, and New York is looking to add depth to the defensive line.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/8907/20080831/giants_talking_to_ex_eagle_de_mcdougle/

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 04:09 PM
According to Paul Kuharsky on the AFC South blog we picked up DE Stanley McClover from the Panthers and cut OT Cliff Washburn. Looking at the Panthers blogger it appears that McClover was one of the more surprising/disappointing cuts for the Panthers.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-3-192/Texans-add-DE-off-waivers--add-seven-to-practice-squad.html

Also has some info on the practice squad.

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky The Houston Texans claimed defensive end Stanley McClover (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9823) off waivers, releasing tackle Cliff Washburn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5297). McClover had 12 tackles and a sack for Carolina last year. He was a seventh-round draft pick out of Auburn in 2006.
The team has also signed the following players to its practice squad.
LB Kevin Coley
WR Darnell Jenkins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11827)
DT Gabe Long (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11828)
DE Jesse Nading (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11830)
CB Derrick Roberson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11071)
WR Mark Simmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10325)
RB Darius Walker (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10836)
Coley and Roberson both played well at times in camp and the preseason for the Texans.

hmmmm..... there's still one open spot...

Jackie Chiles
08-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Charles Spencer or a QB perhaps? Also the team site has the same info up now that the ESPN blog does.

J-Russ
08-31-2008, 04:13 PM
hmmmm..... there's still one open spot...

I thought they already signed Brink to the PS. Hope they elect to have Boyd over Brink for the final PS spot, he's a much better talent then Brink and would help us get ready better against a rushing QB like VY and such.

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 04:14 PM
Jerome McDougle is in talks with Giants, may have already signed with them. Not surprising since they're in big needs of a DE.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/8907/20080831/giants_talking_to_ex_eagle_de_mcdougle/

NFLN just reported McDougle signed a one-yr deal

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 04:15 PM
I thought they already signed Brink to the PS. Hope they elect to have Boyd over Brink for the final PS spot, he's a much better talent then Brink and would help us get ready better against a rushing QB like VY and such.

I thought they couldn't sign anyone to the practice squad until 4pm EST today.
That's when the 24-hr waiver period is over......right??

J-Russ
08-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I thought they couldn't sign anyone to the practice squad until 4pm EST today.
That's when the 24-hr waiver period is over......right??

I suppose, I don't know how waiver wire works so I don't know. I thought I read on another thread that we had our PS established already, saw the PS list similar to one on top but with Brink included. Unless that was the PS they thought would be formed.

J-Russ
08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
Chad Jackson has just been released by the Patriots.

I think he would be an excellence addition to our PS team, we still have a spot left on the squad. ;)

ATXtexanfan
08-31-2008, 06:28 PM
are you wanting chad jackson to replace jabar gaffney?

leebigeztx
08-31-2008, 11:39 PM
I would like to see them look at Eugene Wilson. He's a safety with corner skills with championship experience. With so many teams with a Y-flex tight end, teams need a 3- safety package. In thhe texans division, they have clark and to some extent crumpler. These guys are too strong for cb's and teams tend to run the ball and too fast for lb's. Those 3 safeties mins the sam backer would tighten coverage. Last yr, they had no one who could check clark.

cuppacoffee
09-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I would like to see them look at Eugene Wilson. He's a safety with corner skills with championship experience. With so many teams with a Y-flex tight end, teams need a 3- safety package. In thhe texans division, they have clark and to some extent crumpler. These guys are too strong for cb's and teams tend to run the ball and too fast for lb's. Those 3 safeties mins the sam backer would tighten coverage. Last yr, they had no one who could check clark.

The roster lists this guy on our PS

Stenavich, Adam T 6-4 300 Michigan

I haven't seen him listed anywhere. If it has been posted I missed it.

I think he was an undrafted cowboy rookie in 2006.

But we won't hold that against him.:D

:coffee:

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Abdul Hodge has just been released by the Packers along with another player, to make room for Derrick Frost and Brett Goode. A punter and LS.

Hodge was selected by the Green Bay Packers in the3rd round (67th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft. He scored his first NFL touchdown on a fumble recovery during his first career start against the Seattle Seahawks on November 27, 2006.

In 2007, Hodge was placed on injured reserve due to a knee injury. Hodge changed his number from 55 to his old college number of 52. He underwent surgery on both knees in an attempt to return to the club in 2008.

After an impressive training camp, Hodge was unexpectedly cut by the Packers on September 1st, 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdul_Hodge

http://www.nfl.com/players/abdulhodge/gamelogs?id=HOD153824

Former 3rd round pick in 2006, 2nd rated ILB in the NFLDC rankings.

I think I should stop posting these big names players that get waived, it's not like Kubiak/Smith ever go for them anyways.

Shaft75
09-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Did anyone else see that the Broncos are looking to deal Foxworth??? Wouldn't he be a better addition than Reeves?
I am on my blackberry so it would be hard to copy and paste, but I read it on pft.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 04:39 PM
The roster lists this guy on our PS

Stenavich, Adam T 6-4 300 Michigan

I haven't seen him listed anywhere. If it has been posted I missed it.

I think he was an undrafted cowboy rookie in 2006.

But we won't hold that against him.:D

:coffee:

Other than seeing him on the HT.com PS roster, nothing else that I've come across. He was released by the Girls for Larry Allen, who was placed on the Dallas roster for a day or two so that they could retire him as a Girl. I wonder if they were hoping to sneak him by waivers and resign him........and we busted their plan.:smiliedance:

eriadoc
09-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but the Pats signed CB Deltha O'Neal after the Bengals cut him to get to 53. I know the Pats are not known for signing quality players and all, but maybe we should have taken a look at him anyway?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80a6c20a&template=with-video&confirm=true

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Adam Stenavich (http://michigan.scout.com/2/517512.html)

Offensive Tackle
Projected As: Offensive Guard
5th Year Senior
6’4, 309
Testing: Michigan Pro Day
5.6 Forty Yard Dash
4.82 Short Shuttle
7.91 Three Cone
24-inch Vertical
7 ft 9 in. Broad Jump

Workout Comments:
The 40 yard dash time will certainly be looked down upon. His short shuttle time was one of the better ones put up by lineman his size. On the other hand, his three cone time is decent for his position, but should be better at his size.

Positives:
Being a three year starter is certainly a plus for Stenavich. He has the build of a guard and is flexible for a lineman his size. Has polished technique and plays with a good pad level. Excellent toughness and has a nasty streak. Should be able to be a solid pass blocker inside. He shows decent explosion, gets good pop with his hands, and wins most of the initial battles with defenders. Offers versatility and can move to tackle in emergency situations. Two time All-Conference player.

Negatives:
Stenavich struggles with speed rushers on the edge, which lends to the idea that he'll have to move inside at the professional level. That said, some scouts still question whether or not he can transition to the inside. He doesn’t have a lot of experience pulling and could have trouble reaching linebackers at the second level. He also needs to improve his overall power and lower leg drive.

Overall:
Learning a new position is never easy but Adam Stenavich is capable of doing it. He is a tough player which is the main ingredient of being an NFL type guard. Stenavich will likely go to a team that still focuses on a power running game. Zone blocking teams won’t see as much value in him because he lacks the experience, mobility, and pulling ability for that scheme. Teams that employ power schemes like the Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, and Dallas Cowboys will find much greater value in him as a backup guard. As of right now, scouts are projecting him to go between the 5th and 6th rounds.

NFL Comparison:
Russ Hochstein, New England Patriots
Jonathan Goodwin, New York Jets
Martin Bibla, Atlanta Falcons

Leaves you asking what Gibbs sees in him.

Lucky
09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but the Pats signed CB Deltha O'Neal after the Bengals cut him to get to 53. I know the Pats are not known for signing quality players and all, but maybe we should have taken a look at him anyway?
Kubiak and Smith were with the Broncos when O'Neal was drafted by them. They probably know what he can/can't do as well as anyone. What I remember is that the book on O'Neal is that he's good in zone coverage, with great ball skills. But he's horrible in man coverage. I think the Broncos even thought about moving O'Nal to WR, but he balked and was sent to the Bengals.

The Pats play mostly zone, so O'Neal is likely a good fit. If the Texans are intent on going with more man coverage, well they've already got guys who can't play that.

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Did anyone else see that the Broncos are looking to deal Foxworth??? Wouldn't he be a better addition than Reeves?
I am on my blackberry so it would be hard to copy and paste, but I read it on pft.

The Broncos have told CB Domonique Foxworth to leave team headquarters because he will be traded shortly.

Rookie Jack Williams flashed serious playmaking ability in the preseason and Karl Paymah is ready to take over as Denver's nickel back. Foxworth could bring back a fourth- to fifth-round pick in compensation. Potential suitors include Cleveland, Baltimore, New England, Houston, and Seattle.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFl&id=3303

fifth rounder and nothing more. Kubiak should know whats he getting in Foxworth, he was around for his rookie season. I think he would make a good nickle back behind Bennett and Dunta/Molden.

Also, this is his last year on his rookie contract, so he should be playing for the big bucks next off-season. Is a 5th/6th rounder worth a possible one-year rental?

eriadoc
09-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Kubiak and Smith were with the Broncos when O'Neal was drafted by them. They probably know what he can/can't do as well as anyone. What I remember is that the book on O'Neal is that he's good in zone coverage, with great ball skills. But he's horrible in man coverage. I think the Broncos even thought about moving O'Nal to WR, but he balked and was sent to the Bengals.

The Pats play mostly zone, so O'Neal is likely a good fit. If the Texans are intent on going with more man coverage, well they've already got guys who can't play that.

That makes sense.

J-Russ
09-01-2008, 05:22 PM
From what I hear, he has already been traded and it may take a day or two to sort out the business side of things. Here is link detailing the imminent move.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3563823

The Patriots, Redskins, Saints, Rams and Browns are among the teams that need a cornerback.

Most likely for a conditional draft choice. Any value we get for him is good value. He was not going to be retained after this season. This move opens the door up for the playmaking Jack Williams to become a first teamer in the nickel package.

From the broncos MB.

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=120139&page=3

Here's the thread talking about it.

ObsiWan
09-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Other than seeing him on the HT.com PS roster, nothing else that I've come across. He was released by the Girls for Larry Allen, who was placed on the Dallas roster for a day or two so that they could retire him as a Girl. I wonder if they were hoping to sneak him by waivers and resign him........and we busted their plan.:smiliedance:

anytime we can mess up the cowboys is good

texasguy346
09-01-2008, 06:03 PM

Just to add to that a bit the Pats were going to likely have two rookies starting at CB for them this season, and with the signing of O'Neal it looks like he might be able to snag one of the starting jobs.

leebigeztx
09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Add Tatum Bell to the list. He was released and has history with Kubiak. His ypc is always good and if he gets 220 carries, he's going to get 1k rushing.

BSofA04
09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Sorry if this has been posted before but...

OT Jonathan Scott released by Lions. He was the starting LT for the 2005 University of Texas championship team. Not sure if he's fast enough for our offense but he was the started at right tackle for the Lions last season. Haven't been able to determine why they released him but seems like an intresting player. I always thought he played well in college but could be my UT blinders.

mexican_texan
09-01-2008, 07:44 PM

I'll always remember O'Neal as the guy who took Dunta's Pro Bowl spot in '06.

RasTaofarI
09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
i just wanna thank everyone for the positive response to my first thread here