PDA

View Full Version : Abbate re-signed

Silver Oak
08-24-2008, 08:42 PM
from the hack reporters at the chronicle.

"Houston also re-signed fullback Jon Abbate on Sunday. The 26-year-old Williams was hurt in a collision with a teammate while trying to make a tackle on a kick return. He had surgery on Sunday in Dallas and the Texans said they would update his condition on Monday.

Abbate, 23, signed with Houston as an undrafted free agent in May 2007. He spent last season on injured reserve after breaking his right ankle in an exhibition game. The Texans re-signed him in February and cut him in July before bringing him back to take Williams' roster spot."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5963782.html

Lucky
08-24-2008, 08:48 PM
In related news...
Hey Jameel, the coach wants to see you.

Bring your playbook.

kiwitexansfan
08-24-2008, 08:54 PM
In related news...

I don't see the connection between the two transactions....

:sarcasm:

I'm thinking that we only carry Leach as a FB into the regular season, so Abbate better enjoy his 8 days on the roster.

valleytexfan
08-24-2008, 08:55 PM
I've always liked this kid. He works hard. I hope he somehow sticks this time...

J-Russ
08-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Hmm. So what does this mean for the half RB/FB Chris Taylor? Wasn't Kubiak trying him out as back-up FB, so he could stay on this team?

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm thinking that we only carry Leach as a FB into the regular season, so Abbate better enjoy his 8 days on the roster.

He'll go to the PS now. I expected them to just IR Williams and treat that as one of the cuts.

I also expected them to play Cook for all of the Bucc game and then cut him. But now, Abbate might see some snaps.

Spike
08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I think this says a lot of the RB situation. Last week, the best guess was that we were going to carry 4 RBs, including Taylor who would also be the back-up FB. However, if it is looking that Taylor could be the featured back, you don't have the luxury of using him as the back-up FB.

This is the first real sign that one or both of Green or Brown are gone. My guess is that Vonte starts at FB, with Taylor, Slaton and Green at RB. Brown gets cut (hopefully this week). Either Walker or Abbate make the squad with the other placed on the PS. Green gets a couple of weeks to make the field and if he doesn't, he gets cut and Abbate/ Walker (as applicable) get moved to the active roster.

I like Abbate...has the potential to work his way up like a Kevin Walter.

Silver Oak
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
can Walker go to the PS this season? if so, wouldn't he have to clear waivers first?

dalemurphy
08-24-2008, 10:03 PM
I think this says a lot of the RB situation. Last week, the best guess was that we were going to carry 4 RBs, including Taylor who would also be the back-up FB. However, if it is looking that Taylor could be the featured back, you don't have the luxury of using him as the back-up FB.

This is the first real sign that one or both of Green or Brown are gone. My guess is that Vonte starts at FB, with Taylor, Slaton and Green at RB. Brown gets cut (hopefully this week). Either Walker or Abbate make the squad with the other placed on the PS. Green gets a couple of weeks to make the field and if he doesn't, he gets cut and Abbate/ Walker (as applicable) get moved to the active roster.

I like Abbate...has the potential to work his way up like a Kevin Walter.

I think you nailed it. And, I agree, I'm expecting Chris Brown to be cut. However, if Green's struggles continue, he might get the ax also in favor of someone we've not seen yet or simply Walker making the 53 man roster.

ChampionTexan
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
can Walker go to the PS this season? if so, wouldn't he have to clear waivers first?

Yes, and yes.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2008, 10:16 PM

I think he would be hard to sneak through waivers. Somebody would pick him up for depth.

kozanack
08-24-2008, 10:22 PM

Walker can go to the PS, if he clears waivers. Kubiak said he doubts Walker will clear waivers (can't remember when he said it). I hope they keep him.

hadaad
08-25-2008, 10:30 AM
From what I remember from last year, Abbate was doing very well on special teams. Probably his pedigree as a linebacker. But if he can contribute that way, he might stick.

nunusguy
08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
He was playing FB last year, right ? Maybe they just need somebody to play that position in the last preseason game to rest Leach ?

Sideline
08-25-2008, 11:25 AM
"Houston also re-signed fullback Jon Abbate on Sunday.

To a 6 day contract until next Saturday?

If we thought he would make the team at all surely he would of been around sooner. He knows the system from last year and we need some people to lighten the load in the final pre-season game. I think thats all he is here for.