PDA

View Full Version : Steve Slaton.. What are you expecting??

thunderkyss
08-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Stat wise that is, what do you need to see from #20, to consider him a success..

bah007
08-24-2008, 05:09 PM
4 yards per carry. I would be happy with that.

I won't throw out stats cuz I really have no clue how many touches he might get.

Brando
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Stat wise that is, what do you need to see from #20, to consider him a success..

1200+ combined yards, 7-8 TD's and I'm happy.:texflag:

One thing that might not be in the stat sheet is picking up the blitz and blocking. That will be a lot to do with his success.

Pantherstang84
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Just move dem chains baby! That's all I want to see out of him. A couple of stiff arms wrestling Bob Sanders to the ground would be nice too.:shades:

RipTraxx
08-24-2008, 05:16 PM
I love the pick, but due to his size 5'9 200 im not sure if he's an every down back. if we can get a grand out of him i'll be happy.

rmartin65
08-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Depends on the amount of time he gets. Barring Injuries

Best Case: 1100 yards rushing, 4.2 avg, 8 TD
300 yards receiving, 3 TD

Worst Case: 500 yards rushing, 3.5 avg, 3 TD
190 receiving yards, 1 TD

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Depends on the amount of time he gets. Barring Injuries

Best Case: 1100 yards rushing, 4.2 avg, 8 TD
300 yards receiving, 3 TD

Worst Case: 500 yards rushing, 3.5 avg, 3 TD
190 receiving yards, 1 TD

That's between 8 and 16 carries per game.

I think that's doable.

kozanack
08-24-2008, 06:03 PM

We still don't know who will be the starter. My bet is that Slayton and Taylor will split time at the position. Green and Brown are cut.

Under that scenario, I look for Slayton to have 800+ yards on the ground (4.2+ YPC), and 400 yards receiving. I look for the Texans will have ~1900 yards rushing.

False Start
08-24-2008, 06:12 PM
1000 yards and 6-8 TDs would be cool with me. A Domanick Davis/Williams type first season would be something I could deal with as well.

Thorn
08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Slaton will share time with someone, who that is we don't know yet. But by the end of the season, I suspect he'll have close to or at 1000 combined yards and a handfull of TDs. I could list about a thousand "Ifs" for my remark, but I'm sure yall already know them. LOL

ObsiWan
08-24-2008, 06:18 PM
ten wins.
if Slaton gets 1500 yds 20 TDs and gets ORotY and we go 5-11, it would still suck.

if Slaton gets 600 yds, 6-7 TDs and we finish 10-6 because of it. he was a success.

m5kwatts
08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
1000 yards ---- 6 rushing TDS ---- 250 receiving yards ---- 2 receiving TDs

LondonTexan
08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I love the pick of Slaton but anything over 750 combined yards is a success to me. He aint going to get many carries in the red zone but seems a lovely option a swing passes and bubble screens.

Give him a couple of years before any expectations.

powerfuldragon
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
6 fumbles.

markn
08-24-2008, 07:01 PM
Statistically, I'm expecting a deep bone bruise.

Bull Pen 1
08-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Why do you last twom posters hae to be soooo negative.

Bull Pen 1
08-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Why do you last two posters have to be soooo negative.

Hervoyel
08-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I got this funny feeling that following the 2008 season people are going to be talking about Slaton like they talked about Domanick Davis. People are going to be saying that we have our "triplets" in Schaub-Johnson-Slaton just like they did before when DD emerged.

Slaton, if he gets the lions share of the touches is going to be a 1300 yard back. I can't call it a prediction it's just a hunch (and at this point in the season things change weekly) but I think right now that Chris Brown won't make the team and that Ahman Green won't be playing by week 6. Slaton and Taylor are our real backs right now and the first one of them to "get it" and start producing every down is going to be "the next big thing" around here.

If that happens then watch them draft a LB or DE next year in the first round. If it doesn't then RB has as much of a chance as either of those (BPA kind of thing) and anyone planning on telling me that Kubiak/Smith won't take a RB early just save your time. Kubiak tried to trade back up in the first round in 2006 to get DeAngelo Williams but failed. Since then he's always had a bigger need someplace else but he'll do it if he thinks he needs to. If we end the season as pitiful in the backfield as we are now (meaning nobody stepped up) then he'll do it in 2009.

powerfuldragon
08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Why do you last two posters have to be soooo negative.
AFAIK, slaton was benched for fumbling at WV. so i'm going on that.

also, beyond domanick davis's season or two, the texans running game has never given me reason to be optimistic.

GuerillaBlack
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM

also, beyond domanick davis's season or two, the texans running game has never given me reason to be optimistic.

He was also injured and carried with his opposite arm because of it...

If Slaton does something like 1150 yards rushing with 8 TDs, and 350 yards receiving with 4 TDs, that would be the best.

At worst, I hope he gets around 800 rushing with 4 TDs, and 300 receiving with 2 TDs.

Bull Pen 1
08-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Everyone has there right to their own opinion and that is yours. My as an individual is to think positive. If you don't believe you can do it, in your mind whatever it is you will fail. That is why I chose to be/think positive.

Nothing personal
:fans:

LondonTexan
08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Slaton, if he gets the lions share of the touches is going to be a 1300 yard back.

How ? Slaton is a back that is never going to be a gut runner and to get a 1000 yard in the NFL you need to be able to do that. Why are we looking at Slaton as being this 1000 yard a season guy , he is never going to be that. We are not looking at an AP here we are looking at a player that has limited abilities.

KEYE SUX
08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
How ? Slaton is a back that is never going to be a gut runner and to get a 1000 yard in the NFL you need to be able to do that. Why are we looking at Slaton as being this 1000 yard a season guy , he is never going to be that. We are not looking at an AP here we are looking at a player that has limited abilities.

It takes 62.5 yds/gm to reach 1000 for the season. I think Slaton has the ability to pull it off

Hervoyel
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM

How? By playing in this offense a back like Slaton, barring injury and as the primary runner can perform at a much higher level than one would expect based on his size, speed, and power. Watching the man run the last couple of weeks I have come to conclude that Slaton moreso than any of the other "non paper mache" backs understands how to leverage this offense and make the most of it. He's sliding down the line, making decisive cuts, and showing more power than he has been credited with at the end of his runs.

In any other offense I don't know if I would be so generous with my prediction but here, once Gibbs gets everyone on the line and in the backfield on the same page he can look special. He may not "be" special but he is exactly the kind of running back who can look special.

Bull Pen 1
08-24-2008, 08:19 PM

Oh, I understand just a cheaper Reggie Bush.

LondonTexan
08-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Right lets look at all pre season and say that DeSean Jackson will have a 1000 yard 10+ TD season , Matt Ryan will throw for 4000+ yards. Its pre season , lets remember that. Talking to my Patriots mate the other day it was spoke on Patriots radio how they are using about 30 plays on offense and only about 25 on defence this pre season games to get players used to things , despite their 100 + on each unit come regular season. Lets see him in a regular season game before we decide he has all the moves.

PapaL
08-24-2008, 08:31 PM
For the first time, I'm expecting excitment from our RB position. Lightning in a bottle comes to mind.

swtbound07
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
1000 yards as a back.

London, your entitled to your opinion but your dead wrong on this one.

BattleRedRaider
08-24-2008, 08:36 PM
What am I expecting?

Steve Slaton breaks the rookie rushing yards record, gets ROTY honors, and makes a Madden commercial of "I want to thank the New Orleans Saints for passing me up". :dance:

bckey
08-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Slaton has impressed me with his ability to run up the middle instead of bouncing everything outside like Bush does. He is quick and decisive and runs with some power for his size. I'm going with a 1200 to 1500 yard season for Slaton with10 to 12 td's. Taylor has looked pretty solid although not as flashy as Slaton but solid. One two punch baby!

I'm extremely worried about the defense. Secondary sucks and so does 2 out of 4 dl. And safety has been bad on this team for the Texans entire existance. All this doesn't look good when playing a team like the Colts twice.

LondonTexan
08-24-2008, 08:51 PM
1000 yards as a back.

London, your entitled to your opinion but your dead wrong on this one.

And i hope i am.

J-Russ
08-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a feeling he'll get close to 1,200 yards on a YPC over 4.5, along with 8 TDs. A poor's man Clinton Portis. Well, actually, those numbers would probably be better then what Clinton will produce this season. But a poor's man Denver's Clinton Portis.

That would be good enough for ROY, but I think Matt Ryans will take that honor, as he takes a bottom three team and lead them into the playoffs along with the division title.

Slaton might get voted into the pro-bowl, as he gain momentum and start producing more as we get deeper into the season and make our playoff push. We'll get more publicity later in the year, and Slaton will be one of the spotlight on this team.

By the end of the year he'll, no doubt, be consider as a top 3 RBs from the 2008 draft. But, that's only if he play and produce like alot of us think he can.

swtbound07
08-24-2008, 09:10 PM
better than reggie bush

Hervoyel
08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Slaton has impressed me with his ability to run up the middle instead of bouncing everything outside like Bush does. He is quick and decisive and runs with some power for his size. I'm going with a 1200 to 1500 yard season for Slaton with10 to 12 td's. Taylor has looked pretty solid although not as flashy as Slaton but solid. One two punch baby!

I'm extremely worried about the defense. Secondary sucks and so does 2 out of 4 dl. And safety has been bad on this team for the Texans entire existance. All this doesn't look good when playing a team like the Colts twice.

So many things in football that can be wrong have a remedy in the form of some other aspect of the game. If you have an average to poor secondary it looks better if you have a fierce pass rush for example. One way to help compensate for a porous defense is to keep them off the field as long as you can by grinding out long, time consuming drives on the ground. Those same kinds of drives early in games help an offense score quickly later by keeping the defense tired and gasping for breath.

Running the ball will save our butts this year if we can manage it. We know our passing offense works. We've seen it work with both Schaub and Rosenfels running it. We know we can score quickly and from long range with that and Kris Brown. It all comes down to running the ball though. If we can't do that we're screwed.

RasTaofarI
08-25-2008, 01:36 AM
1500 combined yards, 5-8 TDs
rushing + receiving + returns

RasTaofarI
08-25-2008, 01:38 AM
and finishing the season on the field would be really great

ObsiWan
08-25-2008, 06:23 AM
6 fumbles.

Perhaps you should carry a football everywhere... that might help your fumbling issues

thunderkyss
08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
.... but I think right now that Chris Brown won't make the team and that Ahman Green won't be playing by week 6. Slaton and Taylor are our real backs right now and the first one of them to "get it" and start producing every down is going to be "the next big thing" around here.

I keep seeing this, or something similar on this board. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are we saying he won't make the team because of health issues?? Or that he's just not that good??

I think hands down, he is the most talented person on our roster. He's got good speed, good size, good vision, and he's a threat to take it to the house.

IMHO, if I'm going to keep an oft injured Veteran RB on this team, with the hopes that his luck turns around, I'd take Brown over Green any day.

Back on subject.

Slaton has looked good throughout the offseason. He earned a few touches with the 1st team. He's not clearly our starter, not in my eyes yet. But I do think he will get lots of touches.

AFAIK, Adai is the only RB to ever get 1000 rushing yards without ever starting a game. Think about that, he rushed for 1000 yards and was never named the starter. He got the lions share of the carries, but was never named the starter. I think something similar to that will happen with Slaton. Simply because Chris Taylor is a better blocker. IF Ahman is playing, he's a better blocker, and they are both capable of getting positive yards.

I would only use Slaton in relief of the other backs, like Jones-Drew. Can he handle the load?? should he start?? Yes, Yes.... but why, if you don't need him to. Give him 10-15 touches, let him learn the game, save his knees..... hopefully, come December, we can put him in the game, and the Defenses will be thinking... oh, he only comes in on running plays..... and we make them pay.

thunderkyss
08-25-2008, 07:39 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/R/H/O/RHO405538.jpg Dominic Rhodes | #38 | RB

Indianapolis Colts | Official Team Site

Height: 5-9 Weight: 203 Age: 29

Born: 1/17/1979 Waco , TX

College: Midwestern State

Experience: 8th season

High School: Cooper HS [TX]

Look at that... Slaton is the same size as Rhodes.

Malloy
08-25-2008, 07:49 AM
I but I think right now that Chris Brown won't make the team and that Ahman Green won't be playing by week 6.

Waa?

You're just messing with us right?

Joe Texan
08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
Who became the RB judge and says a 200 pound man cannot do what a 240 pound man can do.

If you saw the way Steve followed the zone in his blocking scheme it was awesome to watch. If he can hit the holes in our scheme then I would believe the job is his.
We have always had a back that is too slow or cannot hit the hole correctly.

I for one am excited about having an offense that works 80% of the time as opposed to not working at all. That being said I see 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns looking real good to me right now.

nunusguy
08-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Word is from both the Chron and local TV news last night that Slaton is
experiencing problems with "turf toe". I dunno, but I'm thinking this type
of injury can become a serious problem ?

PapaL
08-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Isn't that why Dayne got cut and ended up with us?

eric138
08-25-2008, 08:36 AM
didn't Mario have turf toe his rookie season?

thunderkyss
08-25-2008, 08:49 AM
Who became the RB judge and says a 200 pound man cannot do what a 240 pound man can do.

If you saw the way Steve followed the zone in his blocking scheme it was awesome to watch. If he can hit the holes in our scheme then I would believe the job is his.
We have always had a back that is too slow or cannot hit the hole correctly.

I for one am excited about having an offense that works 80% of the time as opposed to not working at all. That being said I see 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns looking real good to me right now.

When the vast majority of those 240lb men end there career after just three years, you have to be concerned for the safety of smaller guys. At least I am.

That said, despite what the numbers say, I've never seen him look as small as Warrick Dunn, or Dante Hall. I'd like to get another reading on his height & weight.

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Mario Williams had Lis Franc, not turf toe. But turf toe is a serious condition as well.

As for Slaton, I think playing in the ZBS in college really helped him out. He knows how to hit the holes better than any other RB on our team. When I think theres nothing to be gained, Taylor and Walker pick up 1 or 2, and Slaton gets 4 or 6.

If he could play in 75% of our games, get at least 15 carries per game, and average at least 4 ypc, I'd be happy. That'd put him at 12 games played, 15 carries each game, 60 yards per game (720 total). He's a rookie, so Im not ready to run him into the ground

HOU-TEX
08-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Re: Steve Slaton.. What are you expecting??

For him to make the team. We've got 2 Puh C's in front of him. Unless both of them go down (again!), Slaton will not get many carries a game.

Between our ****ty defense and a couple panzy-asses (Brown & Green) for RB's, my optimism is at a low level at this time. It's a wait and see approach for me.

:texflag:

Seņor Stan
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Mario Williams had Lis Franc, not turf toe. But turf toe is a serious condition as well.

Mario had plantar faciitis. Glenn Earl had Lis Franc.

Also Mario did not have turf toe, but did have his toenails removed. [/ouch]

Brando
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Perhaps you should carry a football everywhere... that might help your fumbling issues

and sleep with it.

nunusguy
08-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Remember Gary Walker, former DE in our 3-4 when Capers was here ?
I'm thinking turf toe screwed him up pretty bad one year ? I think he battled
it on and off that whole year.

Brando
08-25-2008, 09:31 AM

I hope it's minor. Turf toe can hamper a player so I'm concerned with this injury. It usually takes about 3 weeks to heal, if you stay off of it.

Bad news.....

beerlover
08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
I hope it's minor. Turf toe can hamper a player so I'm concerned with this injury. It usually takes about 3 weeks to heal, if you stay off of it.

Bad news.....

ditto

does not bode well for his rookie campaign, he should miss at least the first two games to rest his turf toe-depending on severity. then I would expect him to gain limited action in those 3rd down conversion situations & see how it holds up. so if the Texans are lucky, coming off the bye week he is 100%.

first 7 weeks (Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Jags, Colts, Fish, Lions) under 200.

last 9 weeks (Vikings, Bengals, Colts, Browns, Jags, Packers, Titans, Raiders, Bears) over 700.

1000 yds, is in the realm of possibility depending how Steve's turf toe reponds :juggle:

hadaad
08-25-2008, 11:06 AM
I like what Slaton did, but I also like what Taylor did. They ended up about even, and Slaton broke a 20 yarder. I'd give the edge to Slaton right now, but Taylor's not far behind.

It's also nice to see the blocking shaping up.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Mario had a bad toe and plantar fasciitis his first season. Glenn Earl had Lis Franc last year.

Joe Texan
08-25-2008, 01:45 PM
How do you get and what exactly is Turf Toe,

Sounds like a made up injury, they never had that when I was younger

HOU-TEX
08-25-2008, 01:48 PM

IIRC, it's like tendonitis of the toe. Kinda like the name "tennis elbow".

Very painful, but a good'ole shot of cortisone should fix'em up come game time.

Brando
08-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Turf toe can occur after a very vigorous upward bending of the big toe. It got it's name due to the fact that it occurs frequently in people who play games on artificial surfaces. The shoe grips hard on the surface and sticks causing bodyweight to go forward and so bending the toe up. It is also common in martial arts. You are more at risk if you have increased range of motion in the ankle and / or wear soft flexible shoes.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/gallery/foot/turftoe180.jpg

When the toe is bent upwards this causes damage to the ligaments which can become stretched. In addition the surfaces of the bones at the joint can become damaged. You should really have an X-ray to check if a bone has not been broken.

Recovery of this injury can take three to four weeks depending on how bad the sprain is.
LINK (http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/foot/turftoe.htm)

JWarren14
08-25-2008, 02:01 PM

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/0901/13907.html

"Turf toe is really a bruise that occurs at the base of the big toe at the joint called the metatarsal phalangeal joint. It usually occurs when the toe is jammed forcibly into the ground or, more commonly, when the toe is bent backward too far and it goes beyond where it should go. It causes significant pain and swelling at the base of the big toe. It can be a significant problem because players use the toe when they run and plant and push off. It can be so painful that they can't play at all."

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 02:11 PM

www.fakemedicalinjurydefinitions.com

"Turf toe occurs when a player with a large contract decides he no longer wants to risk injuring his body by playing a sport. The condition was first identified in the year guaranteed money contracts entered the NFL, and has become more and more prominent every season. Players usually presents with a green big toe, with or without artificial grass attached to it. This is usually created with green sharpie and glue. The condition generally lingers throughout their career, and becomes especially painful immediately proceeding games against defenses with a reputation for being "tough" or immediately after signing new contracts."

:)

Seriously though, I think it comes from hyperflexion of the big toe joint. It can be pretty painful, and it comes from wearing shoes that provide greater mobility at a higher risk.

Carr Bombed
08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
eh, I don't think it's very serious at all......I think he has a minor turf toe injury and the coaches are just now going to be cautious with him and let him rest the last preseason game....seeing how he has been the lone bright spot in the backfield so far this preseason.

I think they've already seen what they needed to see from Slaton and without a healthy Green or Brown (both who happen to be different colors of sh*t) I don't think they want to risk losing Slaton by further aggravating a minor injury. Missing the next preseason game will give Slaton almost 2 1/2 weeks to heal before the season opener.