PDA

View Full Version : Warner in, Leinart out in Arizona

Lucky
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen (he's never wrong ;)) reports that Kurt Warner will be named the Arizona Cardinals starting QB, over 2006 1st round pick Matt Leinart.

The Arizona Cardinals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=ari) are expected to name Kurt Warner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1682) as the team's starting quarterback, a team source said Sunday.

Matt Leinart (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9596)'s poor performance Saturday night against the Oakland Raiders probably sealed the decision.

Leinart had three interceptions in the first half and completed just 4 of 12 passes for 24 yards. His passer rating was 2.8. The Cardinals won the game 24-0.

The source said Leinart's training-camp performance has been uneven, and the Cardinals are concerned about his arm strength and consistency.
Gutsy move by the organization. Though head coach Ken Whisenhunt was not with the team when Leinart was selected.

The 2006 USC Rose Bowl team was considered one of the greatest college teams ever...until they lost in the BCS title game to UT. And many of Trojans star offensive players (Leinart, Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, and Winston Justice) have failed to live up to their college hype.

WesmanTexanfan
08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen (he's never wrong ;)) reports that Kurt Warner will be named the Arizona Cardinals starting QB, over 2006 1st round pick Matt Leinart.

Gutsy move by the organization. Though head coach Ken Whisenhunt was not with the team when Leinart was selected.

The 2006 USC Rose Bowl team was considered one of the greatest college teams ever...until they lost in the BCS title game to UT. And many of Trojans star offensive players (Leinart, Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, and Winston Justice) have failed to live up to their college hype.

Warner does have a ring...

as well as maybe the greatest college football player of our time(im 21) in Vince Young and he hasnt done much of anyhing either......

Vinny
08-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Perhaps they have more courage to start the guy who looks the best than say the 49ers or the Texans did perhaps. There is a ton of pressure to justify your picks to the fans...the little I saw of Leinart vs the blitz last year made me cringe like I did with Carr....well, not that bad. just sayin'

TexansLucky13
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Leinart throws 3 picks and the Raiders still get shut out. That's just... terrible...

Specnatz
08-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Perhaps they have more courage to start the guy who looks the best than say the 49ers or the Texans did perhaps. There is a ton of pressure to justify your picks to the fans...the little I saw of Leinart vs the blitz last year made me cringe like I did with Carr....well, not that bad. just sayin'

I thought JT O'Sullivan was to be named the starter in San Fran?

Vinny
08-24-2008, 03:13 PM
I thought JT O'Sullivan was to be named the starter in San Fran?after two years of awful qb play from Smith.

thunderkyss
08-24-2008, 04:19 PM

I guess running a pro-style college offense isn't the same as running a pro-offense.

Not that I'm revelling in Lienart's misfortunes, & I haven't watched any of this preseason's games, and only a few of the games he's played in the regular season,

But I'd like to know, what went wrong?

In 2006, most people agreed he was the most ready QB of his class. Most agreed he was probably better off going later in the draft, to a team "better" than the teams picking early.

He had the weapons, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Edge, Marcell Shipp(heh-heh)... He's in a weak division, in a weak conference.... They picked an Offensive tackle early in the consecutive draft(Levi Brown, who a lot of Texan's fans wanted)...

I could understand, if Wisenhunt had picked a QB in the draft, that he really wants to play, say a Brady Quinn, or an Aaron Rodgers...... or if he had brought over a Wiley veteran, that he has a lot of faith in, Sage Rosenfels, or Jeff Garcia maybe.... but both Warner, & Lienart were there, when he got there.

Is he just showing Lienart some tough love, or is Lienart really struggling??

bah007
08-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Perhaps Leinart was never really that good to begin with, and he was just surrounded by so much talent at USC that it made him look like a sure thing.

BSofA04
08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Hard to build a winning franchise with first round busts and one star offense player asking to be traded. Not looking good for the Cardinals.

rmartin65
08-24-2008, 04:46 PM
This is wonderful. I have an undying hatred for USC.

WWJD
08-24-2008, 05:06 PM
It's just got to be temporary..I mean does anyone really believe that Kurt will make it thru a whole season or even a few games without getting hurt?

The Cards will be hearing him screaming for a trade as well!

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Perhaps Leinart was never really that good to begin with, and he was just surrounded by so much talent at USC that it made him look like a sure thing.

I think Leinart is a decent talent who had the advantage of playing on a very talented team . As a pro you gotta wonder how much time he's putting into football versus how much time he's putting in the hottub . Add getting popped by 300 lb guys and the chinks in your armor show pretty quick .

It seems the QB position influences your team more than any position on the field ( boy don't we know this ) . I'm betting Warner out works him 2 fold and the players respond to that . Warner was a stocker at a grocery store playing arena football for very little money . Nobody will question Warner's passion for the game .

What happens if Leinart was drafted by the Titans and played for Chow ?

nunusguy
08-24-2008, 05:13 PM

That's also a frequent explanation for little Reggies less than satisfactory transition to the NFL. And then there's the issue of sub-par competition in their conference. The Pac10 isn't that bad, but it's certainly not like having
an SEC schedule.

thunderkyss
08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
What happens if Leinart was drafted by the Titans and played for Chow ?

That's why many were saying Lienart was better off going to Arizona, because they were more talented than the Titans. The Titans had no real recievers at the time.

Besides, if it's a matter of not taking his job seriously, and a reluctance to getting smacked by 300lb men....... would it matter where he went??

Honoring Earl 34
08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
That's why many were saying Lienart was better off going to Arizona, because they were more talented than the Titans. The Titans had no real recievers at the time.

Besides, if it's a matter of not taking his job seriously, and a reluctance to getting smacked by 300lb men....... would it matter where he went??

He already knew Chow and his system .

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2008, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Honoring Earl 34;981245]I think Leinart is a decent talent who had the advantage of playing on a very talented team . As a pro you gotta wonder how much time he's putting into football versus how much time he's putting in the hottub . Add getting popped by 300 lb guys and the chinks in your armor show pretty quick .
QUOTE]

Lainart has always been the "partier." From this preseason photo, I'll let you take a guess. (Aside: Everyone's smiling........makes you wonder where everyone's hands are.):shades:

http://www.useethat.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/mattspahappyplace11.jpg

gwallaia
08-24-2008, 07:06 PM
I guess this means will see more of Warner's wife on tv during games now.

The Pencil Neck
08-24-2008, 07:20 PM
I guess this means will see more of Warner's wife on tv during games now.

I'd prefer to see more of the girls in that picture with Leinart.

thunderkyss
08-25-2008, 09:09 AM
He already knew Chow and his system .

So you're saying since he knew Chow's system, he would have taken his job more seriously.....

I would think he would be even worse..... if he got away with it in college, surely Chow would let him get away with it in the pros..... you would think.

Then, get smacked by a 300lb man is getting smacked by a 300lb man, regardless who your offensive coordinator is.

Honoring Earl 34
08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
So you're saying since he knew Chow's system, he would have taken his job more seriously.....

I would think he would be even worse..... if he got away with it in college, surely Chow would let him get away with it in the pros..... you would think.

Then, get smacked by a 300lb man is getting smacked by a 300lb man, regardless who your offensive coordinator is.

I think QBs who make it have to live and breathe the position . The learning curve would have been to Leinart's advantage at first but as with all players ... the NFL will figure you out .

I think he would have started out fast and faded fast . Maybe they can trade him to the 49ers for Alex Smith ... why ... I dunno .

gtexan02
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Sounds like the Babin for Boulware trade. My bust for yours.

PapaL
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Sounds like the Babin for Boulware trade. My bust for yours.

Except that Warner has succeed in the big leagues and Leinhert has success with hot chicks.

Mr teX
08-25-2008, 11:58 AM
totally missed on this dude.....i was for sure he'd be a good qb coming out of college...even with that noodle of an arm on the side of his body. But after that raiders game. How in the hell do you throw 3 ints in a preseason game? I don't think i've ever seen 1 qb do that.

The Pencil Neck
08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
totally missed on this dude.....i was for sure he'd be a good qb coming out of college...even with that noodle of an arm on the side of his body. But after that raiders game. How in the hell do you throw 3 ints in a preseason game? I don't think i've ever seen 1 qb do that.

Quinn Gray threw 4 for the Colts last night.

I'm not sayin... I'm just sayin... mebbe Kubes had it right on that call.

HOU-TEX
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Good Gravy! Was that not the worst game ever for QB's? Hefty Lefty just looked funny runny around. LMAO!

It's probably the first and last time Losman will have been the best QB on the field.

Ugly, ugly game.

Mr teX
08-25-2008, 04:00 PM

Yeah, you expect that from him though b/c he's basically been a 3rd stringer his entire career & wasn't expected to do much in the league.

but 3 ints in a meaningless game.... a game in which teams hardly gameplan for? that's awful & if i were wisenhunt i cut him asap & go to the tampa bay qb walmart to see if i could get one of those guys off of them.

Specnatz
08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Yeah, you expect that from him though b/c he's basically been a 3rd stringer his entire career & wasn't expected to do much in the league.

but 3 ints in a meaningless game.... a game in which teams hardly gameplan for? that's awful & if i were wisenhunt i cut him asap & go to the tampa bay qb walmart to see if i could get one of those guys off of them.

The 4 ints. were in a preseason game as well.

thunderkyss
08-25-2008, 04:54 PM
The 4 ints. were in a preseason game as well.

I'm sure he knew that...... but meant to stress the fact that Lienart was a first rounder.

Say, that reminds me.

If you were Arizona, and Lienart was sitting there at #10, would you pull the trigger?? Chances are, since they were at 10, they probably never called him in to talk to him or anything.

Wouldn't it be funny, if they had their eye on Cutler(I doubt it) but took Lienart instead, thinking they just hit the lotto??

Specnatz
08-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm sure he knew that...... but meant to stress the fact that Lienart was a first rounder.

Say, that reminds me.

If you were Arizona, and Lienart was sitting there at #10, would you pull the trigger?? Chances are, since they were at 10, they probably never called him in to talk to him or anything.

Wouldn't it be funny, if they had their eye on Cutler(I doubt it) but took Lienart instead, thinking they just hit the lotto??

Leinart has the California itis. Ya know last-in first-out of work. His work ethic reminds me of someone I just can not place my finger on it.