PDA

View Full Version : The I hate Dickie Injustice Thread

Pages : [1] 2

GlassHalfFull
08-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Somebody wouldn't talk to little Dickie and he has his panties in a wad.

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html

I'm not even going to dignify this drival by using quotes and a fancy link. Did I mention that I do not like the way he covers (or rather doesn't cover) sports in Houston.

GuerillaBlack
08-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I really hate him now. That article was so stupid. When is his contract with the Chron over?

Edit: Oops, I was talking about this article: http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/i_want_to_live.html

GlassHalfFull
08-23-2008, 09:28 PM
There is so much to chose from.

I did not want to inflate his ego by responding to him on his blog, so I came over here to blow off some steam. He loves the negative comments, and I refuse to give him the satisfaction.

Silver Oak
08-23-2008, 09:46 PM
it's a coin toss as to who is the worst sportswriter...him or McClain.

their reporting has been reduced to selecting a polarizing topic, pasting said topic into their blog, and then let folks write it for them. ridiculous.

the good sportswriters are a thing of the past (TC, BRB, and DGDB&DM being the notable exceptions).

IlliniJen
08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
I think Dick wants a big time media job and he's getting more and more frustrated that it's not happening. And it seems that he hasn't been offered a new contract for his radio show on 1560 am. His show wasn't good anyway, and I'm glad to see the station realizing that.

I can't believe how he just rails on Gibbs in his blog. He really is a bitter, petty guy who will bash on someone who won't talk to Dick "why won't ESPN give me a job" Justice. It's obvious he hates the Texans.

Wolf
08-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Yeah, I really hate him now. That article was so stupid. When is his contract with the Chron over?

Edit: Oops, I was talking about this article: http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/i_want_to_live.html

oh wow

Just seven days until Vince's jersey retirement. This blog will be your one-stop shopping for Vince tributes.

dc_txtech
08-23-2008, 10:01 PM
I have never read anything the guy has written unless it was posted on TT. But I did read half of each of the first two links, I want my 5 minutes back.

The guy sounds like a little kid crying because they didn't get their lollipop.

kcdoubleeagle
08-23-2008, 10:41 PM
I have never read anything the guy has written unless it was posted on TT. But I did read half of each of the first two links, I want my 5 minutes back.

yeah......dick justice is a world class wacko. Sheesh......he really should move up to Dallas.....and as far as the Mavs being better than the Rockets......??????? Not historically.....

Just a weird fella....i guess he is suppose to be some kind of rabble rouser??? oh yeah, and he also loves Joe Biden.....fruit loop.

Showtime100
08-23-2008, 10:41 PM

If you thought those articles were out there, try this...

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/sure_there_have.html

I seriously thought the man was drunk when he wrote it. Most Longhorn fans I know were rolling there eyes in embarrassment.

Showtime100
08-23-2008, 10:46 PM
yeah......dick justice is a world class wacko. Sheesh......he really should move up to Dallas.....and as far as the Mavs being better than the Rockets......??????? Not historically.....

Just a weird fella....i guess he is suppose to be some kind of rabble rouser??? oh yeah, and he also loves Joe Biden.....fruit loop.

Not to mention the Rangers being better than the Astros. The Rangers have one, ONE playoff win and I don't mean series win either. That happened 12 years ago. I fell out when I read that one.

dc_txtech
08-23-2008, 10:52 PM

I seriously thought the man was drunk when he wrote it. Most Longhorn fans I know were rolling there eyes in embarrassment.

Love for ones school can make people say some crazy things. Not that VY wasn't a great college QB , but that article is a little over the top. I wouldn't mind if every poster on this board listed their favorite college team right next to their age and location.

BTW I will be completely impartial next season when I suggest the Texans trade up to the number one pick to grab Crabtree. LOL.

CloakNNNdagger
08-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Somebody wouldn't talk to little Dickie and he has his panties in a wad.

I'm not even going to dignify this drival by using quotes and a fancy link. Did I mention that I do not like the way he covers (or rather doesn't cover) sports in Houston.

Dickie ends his Chronicle piece with

As for everything else, let me get back to you.

How 'bout DON'T CALL US, WE'LL CALL YOU..........oh yea, and please hold your breath.:cowboy1:

WesmanTexanfan
08-23-2008, 11:59 PM
His writing reminds me of a certain female body part....

noxiousdog
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
We have a fire alex gibbs thread, a fire Richard smith thread, a cut green thread, a single thread that wants to cut weaver, greenwood, and reeves all at the same time.

Where exactly is Richard Justice differing from general sentiment?

kozanack
08-24-2008, 12:32 AM
The bit about his column being a one-stop-shop for Vince tributes is a way for him to stick a thumb in the eye of those who think Mario was the correct draft choice. Justice is still bitter the Texans for selected Mario over Vince.

I have heard parts of his radio show twice during the offseason. Once he was said that, based upon what everyone knew at the time, Vince was the only choice. In other words, The Texans are idiots no matter how everything turns out. The second time he said something to the effect of, "call me when Mario makes a sack when it matters."

Successful radio hosts generally don't make it a point of alienating their audience

GlassHalfFull
08-24-2008, 12:40 AM
The bit about his column being a one-stop-shop for Vince tributes is a way for him to stick a thumb in the eye of those who think Mario was the correct draft choice. Justice is still bitter the Texans for selected Mario over Vince.

I have heard parts of his radio show twice during the offseason. Once he was said that, based upon what everyone knew at the time, Vince was the only choice. In other words, The Texans are idiots no matter how everything turns out. The second time he said something to the effect of, "call me when Mario makes a sack when it matters."

Successful radio hosts generally don't make it a point of alienating their audience

Ha, I love it. Your first post bashes little Richie Justice. I just gotta know, did you join just to pile on?

Welcome aboard.

J-Russ
08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
The Cowboys own us, but then so do the Rangers and Mavericks.

How did he get employed as a Houston sports writer? He obviously not a fan of Houston sports team and it showed with that comment. You guys should email the editor and tell him to fire his ass.

Carr Bombed
08-24-2008, 12:53 AM

LMFAO......did you catch one of the responses to his article, it had to be a Titans fan...

First..

Vince Young did things on a football field that made grown men cry.

Then the classic response...

Vince Young is making grown men cry over here in Nashville too.

LOL...this was after a couple of his absolute stinkers this preseason.

Carr Bombed
08-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Anyways, while we're on the topic...

The Sports writers in Houston absolutely stink (and I thought that even before these articles), I mean this is the 4th largest city in America and we have lesser talent writing our sports section than Podunk cowtown Texas does.......and trust me I've lived in those towns, so I know. Honestly I haven't bought a Chronicle in probably 7 years.

I even had to lived in Dallas and even though I hated living there I must say, Their sports coverage and writers makes Richard Justice and John McClain look like hungover interns going on a monday morning donut run.

I do believe John McClain was good at one time, because I've heard from quite a few posters on here, that he used to be talented and motivated........now I think he really just doesn't give a damn or the effort that he used to. He's just old and lazy now, the fire is gone and he'll continue to just pump out the same crap he always does until the Chron finally pushes him out the door.......but that will never happen....He's "the general". :rolleyes: He cares more about his videos with Anna Meagan than he does about writing quality stuff.

Richard Justice on the other hand (and I hope he reads this) has always been a subpar writer, I'll give him his due.....he's a (or used to be) good baseball writer, but the guy has always been out of his element when writing about other sports.....he simply doesn't know what he's talking about. The guy should've just stuck to baseball, but every time he puts his pen to the pad about football or basketball he just shows his ignorance.

Richard Justice and John McClain should get on their knees everynight before they go to bed and thank god that there isn't another large newspaper in this city to compete with, because if there was.....most likely both would be out of work.

El cabezon
08-24-2008, 01:48 AM
If some of you guys hate the Justice Thread....please for the love of god DON'T READ IT, if you guys think justice and Mclaine suck it's your opinion and I'll take it as your opinion, we don't need to read post after post as to how much you hate it and how terrible Mclaine and Justice are.

kozanack
08-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Ha, I love it. Your first post bashes little Richie Justice. I just gotta know, did you join just to pile on?

Welcome aboard.

Thanks. No, I am a long time lurker. I joined a few days back, but didn't have anything to add at that point. But Justice irks me, so I decided to it was a good point to join the fray.

Carr Bombed
08-24-2008, 02:14 AM
if you guys think justice and Mclaine suck it's your opinion and I'll take it as your opinion, we don't need to read post after post as to how much you hate it and how terrible Mclaine and Justice are.

What's the point of this post?

This is a Dick Justice bashing thread.......either make a argument to support Richard Justice or bash him, but don't tell people to not make a post on the thread subject matter.....that's the entire purpose of this message board. If you don't like the thread, simply don't click on it or respond to it.

El cabezon
08-24-2008, 02:22 AM
What's the point of this post?

This is a Dick Justice bashing thread.......either make a argument to support Richard Justice or bash him, but don't tell people to not make a post on the thread subject matter.....that's the entire purpose of this message board. If you don't like the thread, simply don't click on it or respond to it.

Trust me I do skip several post's, it just get's old reading the same old Mclain-Justice sucks threads.

Jackie Chiles
08-24-2008, 02:26 AM
I'll tell you something that probably works in their defense. Nowadays you can just go to the Texans team website and you can get all the quotes for the day and practice summaries etc. which I'm sure a ton of fans do and then when McClain and Justice get around to writing articles they are quoting stuff that many of us have already read or watched. The articles that I find more interesting give some kind of info that we aren't already privy to and in this day and age those nuggets are often few and far between.

Carr Bombed
08-24-2008, 02:28 AM
Trust me I do skip several post's, it just get's old reading the same old Mclain-Justice sucks threads.

Than don't read it.....problem solved.

Arky
08-24-2008, 02:38 AM

Yep, he (Justice) doesn't like Mario either and has called him a jerk in his blog on more than one occasion. I mean, a lot of people will read something like that and think that Mario *is* a jerk. Everything I've seen of Mario is that he's a pretty humble guy and has handled his celebrity and all the unwanted attention of being the 1st pick quite well.... I wouldn't blame him for being a jerk to Justice for what Justice has written about him....

He does it to his bloggers, too. Outright ridicule sometimes. Once upon a time I used to post in his blog but then my posts stopped showing up. They were clean, rational posts. It was Justice just haphazardly censoring anything that rubbed him the wrong way. Many people have complained of his censoring. I don't post there any more....

Welcome to the forums....

Showtime100
08-24-2008, 02:39 AM
If some of you guys hate the Justice Thread....please for the love of god DON'T READ IT, if you guys think justice and Mclaine suck it's your opinion and I'll take it as your opinion, we don't need to read post after post as to how much you hate it and how terrible Mclaine and Justice are.

This is a sports board, we vent over some of the, um, inJustices we see in the sports world. I'll stick to Justice since this is a Justice thread, but the guy makes very few people happy regardless of the topic, period. He flip-flops, writes just to stir the pot, or certain pots....etc...etc. They are many people on this board and in this case many of us have an inJustice to share or whatever. As for me? I could go on as long as he writes for the Chronicle. I have said in the past I don't read him anymore, but will admit that lately I have. What can I do? I love sports, he talks sports and makes me feel not so crazy in my sports-related beliefs in the end.

I'm a little confused. The first part in bold would seem to contradict what the second part is saying. Maybe I'm just tired and am not following you, but the second part would seem to be good advice you could use. That doesn't sound very friendly, but I do not mean to offend.

If this is an old poster to the board with a new name welcome back.(?) If you are new, a sincere welcome to the board. I hope you like it here. :tiphat:

Malloy
08-24-2008, 05:16 AM

Holy crap...

Ok, Justice needs help, while this writeup is funny as hell (making fun of Vince greatness is always fun) he, as a sports JOURNALIST should NEVER write this stuff, and any association with the journalistic world (and the Chronicle how bad it may be) is catastrophic.

He sort of reminds me of that Kramer actor. Him going off on, was it jews, blacks or immigrants?, hurts the Seinfeld show by association, the entire industry.

My point is, when Justice claims to be a journalist, and speaks in a journalistic forum, he better damn well put on his journalistic hat and play according to the rules. If he wants to be a comedian (and the Vince thingie is fun) then go be a comedian, but don't mix the two together.

As for the latest ramblings against the Texans and especially Gibbs... oh dear, I just cannot believe how immature and thoroughly unprofessional a journalist can be, it's really so far out that I wonder if even ESPN would send him away from the job interview.

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 06:46 AM
I can't say that I was outraged by his column. More baffled by it.

Is he suggesting that Gibbs shouldn't coach by yelling? And that because he yells he is stupid? And that Kubiak shouldn't yell at the quartebacks either?

Really? Really? There's all sorts of coaches on the Texans staff that yell at the players, and he picks the two coaches on the staff that have the most accomplished track records relating to linemen and quarterbacks to call out? If you got rid of all the NFL coaches who yell at their players, you would be left with nobody, because even Dungy yells sometimes, though with his team, he rarely needs to.

That entire column is completely baffling (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5962778.html). I thought it was just a blog post, but I can't believe it was edited into a column. Could you imagine Rick Gosselin writing something that strange? "Accomplished coach yells at players! Isn't that mean and stupid? Maybe he will retire again!" Wha?

He says in the blog comments that Texans fans are so emotionally invested that we can't handle criticism of the team. I don't think that is the case at all. I just want to know what planet that criticism comes from.

DBCooper
08-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Is he suggesting that Gibbs shouldn't coach by yelling? And that because he yells he is stupid? And that Kubiak shouldn't yell at the quartebacks either?

Really? Really? There's all sorts of coaches on the Texans staff that yell at the players, and he picks the two coaches on the staff that have the most accomplished track records relating to linemen and quarterbacks to call out? If you got rid of all the NFL coaches who yell at their players, you would be left with nobody, because even Dungy yells sometimes, though with his team, he rarely needs to.

That entire column is completely baffling (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5962778.html). I thought it was just a blog post, but I can't believe it was edited into a column. Could you imagine Rick Gosselin writing something that strange? "Accomplished coach yells at players! Isn't that mean and stupid? Maybe he will retire again!" Wha?

He says in the blog comments that Texans fans are so emotionally invested that we can't handle criticism of the team. I don't think that is the case at all. I just want to know what planet that criticism comes from.

I think Dickie wants to be yelled at, and spanked.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2008, 09:38 AM

El cabezon, that's the whole point to a message board..........writing your opinion. You unknowingly gave the solution to the problem you perceive.............idonno:

nunusguy
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
I always enjoy being the lone defender of someone who's getting bashed
by everyone else, in a sense its kinda like defending somebody against the mob mentality. So here's why I'm a Richard Justice fan.
I listen to his show on radio sometimes because often he has the kinda guests that nobody else in these parts can probably even get to return phone calls. Justice is on PTI now and then, and that's why he got Wellbon on one day, and if not for that I would have never known that the PTI host is an even cooler, neater guy that what I would have imagined. And he often has NFL Draft guru Rick Gosselin on his show, which is a real treat. Another NFL expert is Bob McGinn with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel who is at the same level as Gosselein among NFL experts, but not as widely recognized. He has a lot of great guests on, and I regret he won't be on radio anymore, according to what someone in this thread reported. You just won't hear that caliber of guest who are sports experts/authority on any other local radio station.
And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan. What'd you would expect since he's from N.Texas. Last I checked there's plenty of Cowboy fans fron here. And he's a Longhorn, so of course he was upset that we didn't take VY. So was everybody else in Houston who didn't want Bush, atleast at one time. But atleast he's a descent journalist. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't have been employed by the Wasington Post all of those years. And don't lump him in with McClain, a man who simply has no writing skills.

GlassHalfFull
08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
by everyone else, in a sense its kinda like defending somebody against the mob mentality. So here's why I'm a Richard Justice fan.
I listen to his show on radio sometimes because often he has the kinda guests that nobody else in these parts can probably even get to return phone calls. Justice is on PTI now and then, and that's why he got Wellbon on one day, and if not for that I would have never known that the PTI host is an even cooler, neater guy that what I would have imagined. And he often has NFL Draft guru Rick Gosselin on his show, which is a real treat. Another NFL expert is Bob McGinn with the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel who is at the same level as Gosselein among NFL experts, but not as widely recognized. He has a lot of great guests on, and I regret he won't be on radio anymore, according to what someone in this thread reported. You just won't hear that caliber of guest who are sports experts/authority on any other local radio station.

Ok, I can kinda see this.

And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan. What'd you would expect since he's from N.Texas. Last I checked there's plenty of Cowboy fans fron here. And he's a Longhorn, so of course he was upset that we didn't take VY. So was everybody else in Houston who didn't want Bush, atleast at one time. But atleast he's a descent journalist.

Umm, no. A decent journalist is not a fan. A decent journalist objectively reports news. Now, if you had argued that he is a columnist and not a journalist, I would have been more sympathic. But. He works for the HOUSTON Chronicle, not the N. Texas Tribune.

If not, I'm sure he wouldn't have been employed by the Wasington Post all of those years. And don't lump him in with McClain, a man who simply has no writing skills

Hmmm, let's think about this. Maybe there is a valid reason he no longer is employed by the Post.

Sigh, I miss the Houston Post.

RTP2110
08-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Ugh. His last 3 or 4 blogs have all been negative regarding the Texans. It seems like he just trying to get people riled up. I wouldn't believe that a professional sportswriter is getting all doom and gloom over preseason games.

SheTexan
08-24-2008, 10:50 AM
You guys should email the editor and tell him to fire his ass.

Best thing to do is NOT purchase the Chronicle!! I stopped my subscription 4 yrs ago because of their horrendous sports coverage. Sports was the main reason I subscribed to the paper to start with. Truthfully, I got sick of Titan and Cowboy coverage taking presidence over Texan coverage. I refuse to re-subscribe until Richard Justice is GONE, and I send e-mails to various people to let them know that. NOT that I think they give a damn cause I am just ONE person who wants to hit them where it really hurts, in the back pocket!! Don't subscribe, and let them know why! Yes, the "ragsheet" is the only paper in Houston so they don't really care what a FEW people think. BUT, if subscriptions took a nose dive they might have to take notice.

Thank goodness for the Internet, and esp you guys/gals on TT. Sorry TC, I know you have connections to the Chron, but, I detest RJ, and I refuse to support the Chron as long as he is there. I'll pull up your blogs via TT.

False Start
08-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Justice is a pansy, through and through.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/richardwendy.jpg

Texan JBZ
08-24-2008, 11:11 AM

Yeah, that statement is absolutely absurd. Take it from me, every coach yells. ESPECIALLY OFFENSIVE LINE COACHES, OMG! I used to feel sorry for the o-lineman for the bashing they would take on a daily basis. Plus, Gibbs has never spoke to the media. What makes dumb, dumb Justice think that he is going to be any different with him? Oh, I'm sorry, he's Richard Justice. I forgot about that.

He says in the blog comments that Texans fans are so emotionally invested that we can't handle criticism of the team.

I actually read the VY article when he put it out. I'm thinking, "Isn't this the kind of stuff he should be writing about in the offseason. HOUSTON does have a team getting ready for an important season you know." It was a boring article, so I replied to him with "Yawwnnnn." Think that one got posted? Shortly after that is when I went in search of a real blog site where there were real Houston Texans fans. He says that we are so emotionally involved that we can't handle criticism. Really?!? Look at some of the posts on here. We go after our team pretty dang hard. But we love the Texans, the same way he loves the Astros and Horns. Only someone who is emotionally invested in a team would put out an article like the VY one confessing his true man-love for the guy.
"That's why nothing that happens this year in sports will be as emotionally powerful as what The University of Texas has planned for August 30. That's when Vince Young's jersey No. 10 will be retired by the Longhorns.
I'm probably like a lot of you in that when I'm feeling down or have had a bad day at work I put in the DVD of that Rose Bowl. No matter how many times I watch it, I'm still inspired by it, moved by it.
It makes me want to work harder, to accomplish more. It makes me want to make Vince proud." :mcnugget: Oh brother! But we're the ones who are "so emotionally invested" right? Gimme a break. RJ is a joke. His show sucked and his writing does too.

Drew_Smoke
08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
The truth hurts (in today's piece). It's gonna be another long year if things don't change soon.

I like Richie. I like McClain. I like them on the radio, but I am waaaaayyyyy beyond sick of his lust for the very average Megan Whatever Reily. So she's young and has a pulse. Whoo hoo!

I don't like Jermone Suckamon though. I was glad they sent him to China to cover a topic I couldn't care less about.

Hardcore Texan
08-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah, justice is a wiener. But the comments at the bottom are pretty good. Here's one of my favs that I saw.

I'm not saying the Texans have looked great this preseason, but I'm not ready to write them off.

This blog entry just seems like some sour grapes on your part. A couple of coaches turn down your esteemed ESPN-worthy presence, so you're going to throw a fit and smear them on your blog. Players may tune out screaming coaches, but readers tend to tune out whiny writers that go into a hissy everytime their egos get a little bruised.

:spit:

Chicagotexan1
08-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I think Dick wants a big time media job and he's getting more and more frustrated that it's not happening. And it seems that he hasn't been offered a new contract for his radio show on 1560 am. His show wasn't good anyway, and I'm glad to see the station realizing that.

I can't believe how he just rails on Gibbs in his blog. He really is a bitter, petty guy who will bash on someone who won't talk to Dick "why won't ESPN give me a job" Justice. It's obvious he hates the Texans.

I think he's hoping to land a job in Tenn as VY's hairy beanbag therapist or in Austin when his Chosen One is bounced from the league.

Tedc
08-24-2008, 11:29 AM
There are few writers that can make the Chronicle moronical.

Justice is one that can do it all by himself. Dickie, you da man.

Second Honeymoon
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think Kubiak is that good of a coach, but to criticize the guy for yelling at players when they aren't playing well or for him to criticize Gibbs for not talking to the media is just trolling newspaper style. All I have heard all offseason is how good of a coach Gibbs is and its come out of Justice's mouth. Now that the guy is here, he decides to belittle him and whine about his methods. Make up your mind, Dicky. I haven't seen squat from Gibbs either, but at least he has a proven track record doing what he is being asked to do. I will give Gibbs the benefit of the doubt especially considering how little talent he has to work with at RB....now part of that is his own fault for asking for Duane Brown over Mendenhall, but Brown hasn't been disappointing either (but I do feel RB was a more pressing need considering the '07 play of the OL and the horrible talent we have at RB..but just my opinion)

If a Chron writer is going to call out anyone, it needs to be that loser of a Defensive Coordinator we have. Has Smith not been fired yet? geez.

as for the whole Dallas v. Houston, yeah Dallas has the edge if you go by championship numbers, but Houston has traditionally had a better basketball and baseball team, while the Mavericks have ZERO championships and the Rangers have ZERO World Series appearances. Dallas has the Cowboys (who havent won anything in over a decade) and the Stars (who they stole from Minnesota).

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 11:38 AM
And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan. What'd you would expect since he's from N.Texas. Last I checked there's plenty of Cowboy fans fron here. And he's a Longhorn, so of course he was upset that we didn't take VY. So was everybody else in Houston who didn't want Bush, atleast at one time. But atleast he's a descent journalist. If not, I'm sure he wouldn't have been employed by the Wasington Post all of those years. And don't lump him in with McClain, a man who simply has no writing skills.

I like his radio show a lot. He gets some great guests and can tell a story or two. His Texans talk is a bit too roller coaster for my taste--things are either AWESOME! or AWFUL!

Interestingly, he published the comment to his blog post. I put a link that had Eric Winston being enthusiastic about Gibbs as his coach, and basically Justice responded that I was gullible for believing that, and he asked me if I were clueless.

Funny. A guy criticizes coach for making personal attacks but then asks a Chronicle subscriber if she were clueless.

Tedc
08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I like his radio show a lot. He gets some great guests and can tell a story or two. His Texans talk is a bit too roller coaster for my taste--things are either AWESOME! or AWFUL!

Interestingly, he published the comment to his blog post. I put a link that had Eric Winston being enthusiastic about Gibbs as his coach, and basically Justice responded that I was gullible for believing that, and he asked me if I were clueless.

Funny. A guy criticizes coach for making personal attacks but then asks a Chronicle subscriber if she were clueless.

Did you ask if he was classless? Oh yeah, there was no need.

Brando
08-24-2008, 11:42 AM

I liked this comment from a Titans fan....

Vince Young is making grown men cry over here in Nashville, too.

Funny!

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 11:57 AM
Did you ask if he was classless? Oh yeah, there was no need.

Actually, I wrote a followup post to find out if he really does have information that the olinemen are tuning out Gibbs or if he is just extrapolating based on his own experience of not liking to be yelled at. (in other words, pulling something out of his rearend). Because I want to know. Most reports I've heard about Gibbs have been positive, but I do know a number of his ATL linemen said bad things about the weight stuff after Gibbs left. So I want to know if this is A Problem or Something RJ Is Making Into A Problem.

For those who don't want to give his blog post any more page hits, here's what I wrote and the response (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html#comments):

Hey, quick question. Is there a particular thing that happened that made you upset with Alex Gibbs for yelling at his players or Kubiak yelling at his quaterbacks? Generally, the public information that is out suggests that the players love the one on one work that Alex Gibbs does with the line, yelling and all.

See e.g.: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/06/23/rt-eric-winston-discusses-2008-texans-line-guru-alex-gibbs-he/

I could easily dig up enthusiastic public statements from the quarterbacks talking about Gary Kubiak as well.

Is there stuff going on with Kubiak/Gibbs that we don't know about but you do?

Personally, I've been pretty impressed with the work Alex Gibbs has done with starting a rookie left tackle. I think the biggest issues with the offensive line last game is that Chester Pitts couldn't start, and Kasey Studdard (a try hard guy, but not a true starter) was overmatched.

Really, is there a particular reason why you bring up the yelling as it relates Gibbs/Kubiak? I could pick a number of the defensive coaches that are yellers, and don't have as much of a track record of accomplishment as Gibbs/Kubiak. I'm not trying to be a smartass about this, I am just curious, and I suspect I'm not the only one that wonders about this. Why the Kubiak/Gibbs rant? Why are you suggesting that Gibbs is stupid?

If you are trying to run coaches out of town, Gibbs is about the last guy on the Texans staff that I'd give the bidness to.

I'm not sure what about this season is particularly surprising so far. I think the only people truly disappointed with the season so far are those who believed your point of view that "For the first time, the Texans enter a season without a glaring weakness."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/texans/5897344.html

The Texans defense was statistically at the bottom of the league in many important categories. The free agent acquisitions the Texans grabbed last summer plus drafting young players wasn't likely going to make last year's defensive issues suddenly go away. This is the youngest defensive back lineup that the Texans have ever put on the field, which barring miracles, usually is an unfortunate thing.

This Texans team has a lot of try hard guys who likely wouldn't be starters on other squads. With some of this Kubiak doesn't have much of a choice--the defense is being built from scratch from where it was in 2005, and the only defensive playmaker left from that 2005 team is sitting on the bench recovering from a knee/hamstring injury.

As for optimism and pessimism, I think ultimately everybody thinks that they are the realists, and that everybody else is either overly optimistic or pessimistic unless those people agree with them.

As for the running backs, they are what they are. Gibbs is trying to work miracles with a line that has three new players in it, and a running back group that with exception of Slaton, nobody else in the league would want. In the preseason, the running back group is working on some things that they may not be doing in the regular season, so as with a number of things, it is a wait and see:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-3-59/Winston-reviews-the-premier-game-for-Gibbs--run-scheme.html

Personally, I'm fine with a critical analysis of the Texans. I just want to know where it is coming from. There's tons of issues with the Texans, and none of them are surprises either to the fans to follow the team closely or to the coaching staff, I suspect. You can't just buy the players you want in the NFL. Some years you have to make do with bad decisions of the past, salary cap limitations you have, and just plain waiting for players to develop.

I am not sure where you are coming from about the Kubiak/Gibbs criticism about yelling though. If all the coach yellers were booted from the NFL, I think only Tony Dungy would be left, and I've seen him non-cuss yell a time or too as well. Personally, I don't see Kubiak/Gibbs yelling as being even in the top 1,000,000 concerns about the 2008 Texans. Is there something you know about their yelling that you aren't sharing?

[No player likes being yelled at. That's simply ridiculous. Do you really think those were sincere comments? Are you that gullible? ''Sure, coach, I like the way you try to humliate in front of my teammates. I love it.'' Are you that clueless? Hey, aren't you the person that wrote that I'm unprofessional then admitted you didn't know the standards of professionalism in my business? If it's not you, my apologies. If it is you, in the words of the immortal George Bamberger...--Richard]

I'm not sure the response will be published. RJ is a little sensitive.

Thorn
08-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Best thing to do is NOT purchase the Chronicle!! I stopped my subscription 4 yrs ago because of their horrendous sports coverage. Sports was the main reason I subscribed to the paper to start with. Truthfully, I got sick of Titan and Cowboy coverage taking presidence over Texan coverage.

My feelings and actions also. I rarely even check the Chronicle online because I get more and better information here.

The truth hurts (in today's piece). It's gonna be another long year if things don't change soon.

So far I see little change in the defense from last year. The offense is passing well, and the running is improved somewhat, and I suspect the running will get better baring injuries.

Malloy
08-24-2008, 12:20 PM
Actually, I wrote a followup post to find out if he really does have information that the olinemen are tuning out Gibbs or if he is just extrapolating based on his own experience of not liking to be yelled at. (in other words, pulling something out of his rearend). Because I want to know. Most reports I've heard about Gibbs have been positive, but I do know a number of his ATL linemen said bad things about the weight stuff after Gibbs left. So I want to know if this is A Problem or Something RJ Is Making Into A Problem.

For those who don't want to give his blog post any more page hits, here's what I wrote and the response (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html#comments):

I'm not sure the response will be published. RJ is a little sensitive.

Holy cow! This guy is turning more and more into a troll. The Chronicle should shut him down before he alienates too many people, being associated with him is not the best way to keep the readers paying for the paper.

nunusguy
08-24-2008, 12:22 PM

I think that's a very even-handed, a very fair appraisal of Justice. And yea T_C, he does tell good stories to. And you're right on the money about his coverage of the Texans. One day he praises them, then the next he may berate them.
I think a lot of times he really just has nothing to say, nothing to write about. That's probably a problem for most journalists who still have to produce a story, a column, or a blog for a deadline.
Re his current story about Gibbs, I definitely disagree with his tone about Gibbs, and I guess his content to. I'm still very thankful for the addition of
the energetic, and IMO very wise OLine coach.

nero THE zero
08-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Best thing to do is NOT purchase the Chronicle!! I stopped my subscription 4 yrs ago because of their horrendous sports coverage. Sports was the main reason I subscribed to the paper to start with. Truthfully, I got sick of Titan and Cowboy coverage taking presidence over Texan coverage. I refuse to re-subscribe until Richard Justice is GONE, and I send e-mails to various people to let them know that. NOT that I think they give a damn cause I am just ONE person who wants to hit them where it really hurts, in the back pocket!! Don't subscribe, and let them know why! Yes, the "ragsheet" is the only paper in Houston so they don't really care what a FEW people think. BUT, if subscriptions took a nose dive they might have to take notice.

Thank goodness for the Internet, and esp you guys/gals on TT. Sorry TC, I know you have connections to the Chron, but, I detest RJ, and I refuse to support the Chron as long as he is there. I'll pull up your blogs via TT.
Exactly. And, on top of that, if you are not a fan of Justice's and/or McClain's writing, stop reading their articles. Their success is measured by the number of hits their blogs and articles get. So, as soon as you click the link to their article/blog, you are serving their purpose, regardless of what you may think about their writing.

So, if you legitimately dislike these columnists; (1) stop buying the Chron, (2) stop cliking on their blogs and articles on Chron.com, (3) write the Chron and let them know that you're unhappy and that you've stop buying and reading the Chronicle. Otherwise, you're just racking up hits on their website which helps them sell advertising.

Lucky
08-24-2008, 02:43 PM
in the words of the immortal George Bamberger..What freakin' words?

Hey Dick Justice, in the words of the immovable Shaquille O'Neal...

Silver Oak
08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Exactly. And, on top of that, if you are not a fan of Justice's and/or McClain's writing, stop reading their articles. Their success is measured by the number of hits their blogs and articles get. So, as soon as you click the link to their article/blog, you are serving their purpose, regardless of what you may think about their writing.

So, if you legitimately dislike these columnists; (1) stop buying the Chron, (2) stop cliking on their blogs and articles on Chron.com, (3) write the Chron and let them know that you're unhappy and that you've stop buying and reading the Chronicle. Otherwise, you're just racking up hits on their website which helps them sell advertising.

here's an email addy that I believe the sports editor may see.

sptletters@chron.com

some well worded emails to him about Justice and McClain will do more good than us bitching and moaning on TT. asking that Anna-Megan display her breasts in public is probably not in good form...leave that one to me please. :shades:

Vinny
08-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Really? Really?

And yea he's mainly a baseball guy, and when it comes to football he's a Cowboy fan. he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder. I don't think I've ever seen too many football coaches that didn't yell at players...George Carlin said it best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-gakLqibP4).

true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

Brando
08-24-2008, 03:03 PM
he really is...and there is no crying in baseball and there is much less yelling. Football is an emotional sport played with a chip on the shoulder....George Carlin said it best (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WallEDRs0M).

true. We look like the Arizona Cardinals of the last 20 years and that ain't such a good thing. fingers crossed.

I'm gonna steal a line from Al Davis......

Just win baby.

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 03:52 PM
What freakin' words?

Hey Dick Justice, in the words of the immovable Shaquille O'Neal...

Bwahahahahahaha! It took me a second to get your reference.

I looked up his quote:

"A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - Milwaukee Brewers Manager (1978-1980) George Bamberger

I guess what he is saying is that he can say whatever ugly and or provocative things he wants about whatever player or coach he wants even without basis if he is doing it for a paycheck?

Is it too much to ask to get actual football analysis?

Oh, and he did print my response (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html):

RJ-

Actually, I have no reason to believe that Eric Winston's very positive comments about Alex Gibbs weren't sincere. He's pretty straight talking, especially for a team that doesn't have many straight talking players. And nobody from the Chronicle is reporting player disatisfaction with Gibbs. So why should I as a fan be alarmed by Gibbs yelling when many coaches in the league get profane?

My question is straightforward. Lots of coaches in the NFL, including with the Texans yell at their players. A lot. Many of the words they use are unpleasant. Why is it that you are discussing Alex Gibbs' yelling in particular?

He is one of the most accomplished coaches on the staff with a track record of success. Why discuss his yelling in particular, in comparison, to let's say, coaches with a less accomplished NFL history such as Richard Smith or Frank Bush as examples--two other yelling coaches. Do you know something that we as fans do not know?

The reason I ask this is that I can't imagine let's say, Rick Gosselin writing a column like this one: "Gee, a coach from the team is yelling and saying mean things to players. That doesn't seem smart at all. I don't like to get yelled at in my job. Hey that's mean and the head coach shouldn't allow it." Wha? Really, it is inexplicable.

So that's why I was wondering if something caused you to point out Alex Gibbs' screaming versus any of the bunches of other coaches in the league that yell at their players.

(BTW, I really think that there's some good information for Texans fans about the issues that the team is facing relating to the running game in that ESPN link I gave in my blog comment. It's been interesting seeing the slow improvement of the running back numbers in the preseason [not counting QB/WR]:

Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg (with no Chester Pitts and an overmatched Studdard).

Hey, I'm not saying the Texans running backs are world beaters, but they just are who they are, and why you should be particularly upset with this group now versus in training camp, I have no idea).

And if you want me to reveal information that was contained in emails between each other about journalistic professionalism, I suppose I can. This is my view:

1. I've always preached that people should not personally attack people or engage in name calling. This includes sports figures and sports writers. That is is better to critically examine arguments, strategies, ideas than it is to engage in personal attacks.

2. I have suggested that some of what you have written in the past has been unprofessional:

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2006/09/why_does_david_carr_mishandle_1.html

I find it repugnant for a sportswriter to encourage his readership to come up with insulting nicknames for a player he covers. I think it is petty and juvenile behavior and well, not terribly professional. Because after I read that, it makes me wonder if that journalist can ever be fair covering that player.

You might see that as a personal attack. I don't know any of you as a person, but all I can judge of your professionalism is what you put into words, and I was criticizing those particular words on that particular day.

3. In a private email to you and in my public writing, I wondered outloud if there are any standards for sports writing professionalism these days. That is, when being unreasonable and provocative to obtain page hits or to get invited to being a ESPN talking head is the currency of conversation among certain sportswriters, are there any standards these days? If Skip Bayless is the standard for professionalism, then I do wonder if there are truly any standards at all.

Ultimately, you say you believe that Texans fans are too emotionally invested in their team to write critically about them. I don't know about that. It is my experience that fans are looking for rational, realistic, factually-supported criticism of the team. Most teams in the NFL aren't inherently great or awful--they are in the middle--they have strengths and weaknesses, need some breaks, have some challenges.

Sometimes I think your writing about the Texans is sort of on a roller coaster of either things being really really great or things being really really awful. One moment you see the Texans as a team "without glaring weaknesses" (even though they are very young team had a bottom rated defense in 2007 http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.php), and then the next moment you are throwing the one of the most experienced coaches under the bus for uh yelling(?).

Ultimately, my question is a basic one. Do you know of any Texans offensive players who are unhappy with the way that Gibbs is yelling at them, or are you just extrapolating that you wouldn't like to be yelled at your job, so obviously the line isn't listening to Gibbs, or are you just sore that unlike the rest of the yelling coaches on the Texans staff, Gibbs doesn't talk to the media?

I'm just a Chronicle subscriber that tries to piece through the news we get from the team and tries to figure out what the real deal is. What is real and what is illusory. I want to know if the line is tuning out Gibbs because that is the implication of your article. I don't get too many people asking me if I'm clueless, but generally I don't hang out with impolite people.

And certainly, I didn't want to rehash that professionalism discussion, but only did because you brought it up. Sorry, hope you have a lovely Sunday in every other respect.
-Steph

Lucky
08-24-2008, 03:57 PM
It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 03:59 PM
It still drives me nuts that the Chronic puts that kid's byline on your work. Talk about unprofessional...

If it is any consolation, they were very apologetic about it.

BTW, I don't think he is a kid. IIRC, he is in his mid thirties.

Lucky
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Really??? I thought he was a college student. At least his stuff reads like a college student's work.

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2008, 04:20 PM
I can just see tomorrow's "professional" Chronicle headline:

STEPHANIE STEPS ON DICKIE:spit:

TexasOutlaw
08-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Every once in a while I have to read the Chronicle to recall why I don't read it.

I have met my quota for the next three months.

ledzeppelin229
08-24-2008, 04:30 PM
Be easy on Dick, if you start yelling at him too much he might get to feeling a little sensitive and respond poorly. I mean, if professional football players can't take it, how in the world will an in-over-his-head journalist hack from the Chronicle handle it?

kozanack
08-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Along that line of thought, I would guess that the minority of coaches who don't spend a significant amount of time yelling at their players are head coaches. And they have just delegated the yelling to their staff. Seriously, training camp is like boot camp in the military. Yelling is part of the process of getting everyone acclimated to dealing with stress (and getting rid of those who can't).

Maybe he has been watching too many games at the YMCA.

kcdoubleeagle
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM

That was the weirdest article I have ever read....I cannot believe a grown man would talk like that.....

And the fact is...Vince Young is BY FAR THE WORST QB IN THE NFL.....I have never seen a more ineffective pro quarterback than that goofball......the Titans would actually be good if they would just let Kerry Collins start....god that's saying something.....kerry collins......

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 04:42 PM
That was the weirdest article I have ever read....I cannot believe a grown man would talk like that.....

And the fact is...Vince Young is BY FAR THE WORST QB IN THE NFL.....I have never seen a more ineffective pro quarterback than that goofball......the Titans would actually be good if they would just let Kerry Collins start....god that's saying something.....kerry collins......

I want to say that in an earlier version of the Vince blog post, he had a comment that said that a lot of people don't get his sense of humor. Then now when I look at the article, I can't see that any more. (That is a blog no no).

But erasing blog posts and comments is not unusual for him. Once in an in-game blog, he demanded that Kubiak get fired. And then he erased his blog post and apologized for it.

kozanack
08-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Ugh. His last 3 or 4 blogs have all been negative regarding the Texans. It seems like he just trying to get people riled up. I wouldn't believe that a professional sportswriter is getting all doom and gloom over preseason games.

One commonly held suspicion is that Justice is trolls for comments by posting inflammatory material. Getting people riled up will certainly make your blog busier.

Specnatz
08-24-2008, 05:00 PM

If it is any consolation, they were very apologetic about it.

Really??? I thought he was a college student. At least his stuff reads like a college student's work.

We all know my feelings about not having her name there.

I think it is total BULLSHIT!! :pirate:

Texans_Chick
08-24-2008, 05:11 PM
One commonly held suspicion is that Justice is trolls for comments by posting inflammatory material. Getting people riled up will certainly make your blog busier.

That's one way to get attention to your work. He gets insulted if you suggest he does that.

Another way is to write germaine, entertaining things worth actually reading.

The second method makes it easier to sleep at night.

hollywood_texan
08-24-2008, 05:32 PM
With 3 preseason games in the books, I do not have high expectations for this season.

Señor Stan
08-24-2008, 05:58 PM
That's one way to get attention to your work. He gets insulted if you suggest he does that.

The second method takes talent...something that I have never accused Justice of having.

The thing about this thread is that alot of folks are calling him a "baseball guy". His baseball takes are as weak as his other drivel. He has ZERO credibility in the Astros clubhouse. A couple of years back Brad Ausmus made the crack...

"'I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.''

Lance Berkman has called him the "Writer of Wrongs."

If there is any doubt about his asshattedness just read his takes about how the Astros should sign Barry Bonds. Justice is nothing more than a glorified. :stirpot:

CloakNNNdagger
08-24-2008, 06:31 PM

He gets no attention from the 1st method. Once his writings no longer even get negative "attention" (because people just get plain fed up with his schtick), he won't have anything to be insulted over..............and he won't have a job either.

Vinny
08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
Lance Berkman has called him the "Writer of Wrongs."
thats gold...pure unadulterated golden goodness. Berkman is a witty guy.

TexansFanatic
08-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I've never been able to figure Justice out completely. On the one hand he often seems to have a sensible perspective and tells a good story. On the other hand he loses his sh*t on the air and yells: "I AM the media!"

But when he wrote the piece encouraging Texans fans to come up with disparaging nicknames for Mario Williams when Mario was struggling, that seemed like the pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

IlliniJen
08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I've never been able to figure Justice out completely. On the one hand he often seems to have a sensible perspective and tells a good story. On the other hand he loses his sh*t on the air and yells: "I AM the media!"

He is very uneven and I'm beginning to suspect that he either has really horrible impulse control or worse, has a personality disorder.

Or he's just menstruating a lot.

But when he wrote the piece encouraging Texans fans to come up with disparaging nicknames for Mario Williams when Mario was struggling, that seemed like the pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

See, this is what I can't understand. You read perfectly good and intelligent blog posts where people express their personal opinions about the good and bad of their sports teams with much more "journalistic" integrity and professionalism than the people who get paid to do it!

I think Dick is trying to figure out a way to be a "controversial" sports personality, like the hacks they often have on ESPN's "Around the Horn," which is a horrible show at times because folks like Woody Page would rather blather on than talk about sports. Those are the people who get on TV, plain and simple, unless they're a fantastic sports JOURNALIST, which Dick Justice simply is not. So he's only got one card to play..."I'm going to be the controversial Houston sports guy," but his stuff is lame.

When your "controversial" opinions come down to personal attacks and challenging readers to come up with negative nick names for a struggling rook, then you're a sad waste of time. Couple that with an inability to stablize his own moods and reactions to things and you've just got an angry, non-witty sports guy who tries way too hard because he thinks that spewing nonsense will get him a big ESPN paycheck.

TC's responses to Dick are pure gold and an example of what some good sports blogging could do for the chronicle.

Speedy
08-25-2008, 01:49 AM
The only way to make douchebags like Dickie go away is to quit reading and reacting. And to let their bosses know that you aren't because of them.

I haven't read a Chronicle in I don't know how long, and I don't because I'm not interested in the flip-flopping style their "journalists" write in, the assinine things they write for the sole purpose of getting a rise out of people, I just don't need my sports in that fassion.

I want INFORMATION!!! I don't get that with the Chronicle, from their writers, so I don't read it.

Simple as that for me. There's so many other places to get the information you want, like here for example, that I don't need to subject myself to the childish crap that a Justice or McClain spits out. They're nothing more than bloggers any more, who get paid, and they have less talent in it than many people here.

Just quit reading and reacting and if you want, let the Chronicle know they're losing readers because of them and you'd like to see them replaced by people with some conception of what journalism is.

HoustonFrog
08-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Richard Justice is a Skip Bayless wanna be who pathetically even falls short of that. If he is so desperate for material that he talks about screaming coaches and a brand new system that hasn't even had time to get going. I've written this here before but I wrote him in the past about his flip flopping on Astros' GMs and on other subjects and he has written back with no real explanation. He thinks he is stirring it up when in reality he comes across as a sportswriter who doesn't know much about sports.

noxiousdog
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM

I'm beginning to believe this more and more. His blog persona is so much different than his tv/radio one.

b0ng
08-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm beginning to believe this more and more. His blog persona is so much different than his tv/radio one.

His blog persona is that of a jackass who wants to piss you off, and his radio persona is that of a person who is really too slow to make a radio show interesting. And neither is really worth the time to listen/read.

To be honest I'm pretty sure that the Chronicle will not fire either McClain or Justice because both have been around for a long time and the Chronicle doesn't change too much.

Whatever happened to Fran Blinebury?

Lucky
08-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Whatever happened to Fran Blinebury?
He's still with The Chronic (http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/), mostly covering roundball.

b0ng
08-25-2008, 05:52 PM
He's still with The Chronic (http://blogs.chron.com/franblinebury/), mostly covering roundball.

I'd rather read his articles even if he knows nothing about football, than Justice. Oh well, here's to another year of Mario bashing, Vince Young love, and bandwagon hopping as soon as we do anything good, followed bandwagon jumping when we look bad.

Texans_Chick
08-25-2008, 11:48 PM
This would be absolutely hilarious if it wasn't also sort of sad too.

Now in his blog comments RJ is referring to me as "that Stephanie woman." It's on an expanded blog post about yelling coaches. "More on Alex Gibbs and the silliness of coaches that scream." (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/more_on_alex_gi.html)

It turns out that the Texans players are not upset at Gibbs after all. This is why Gibbs got singled out in that strange article according to RJ:

Let's review. I don't like Alex Gibbs. I think he's part of a team sport, but tries very hard not to be part of the team. He has his own set of rules apart from the team. I think he has been a great NFL coach. Maybe the game has passed him by. At this point, he hasn't made the Texans' running game better. If this continues, look for him to retire for the third or fourth time.

So it turns out that his screed about Gibbs yelling was less about yelling and more about him not liking Gibbs.

Unsurprisingly, he is wrong, even if he chooses to evaluate Gibbs' effect on the running game only based on the preseason and with the starting left guard missing the last game. Each game of the preseason, the running backs have improved.

And well, no matter how the running game does, Gibbs is likely to retire sooner than later because, well, he's old, though I think a lot of people would like to look and move around as good as he does at his age.

Wolf
08-26-2008, 12:08 AM

Now in his blog comments RJ is referring to me as "that Stephanie woman." It's on an expanded blog post about yelling coaches. "More on Alex Gibbs and the silliness of coaches that scream." (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/more_on_alex_gi.html)

It turns out that the Texans players are not upset at Gibbs after all. This is why Gibbs got singled out in that strange article according to RJ:

So it turns out that his screed about Gibbs yelling was less about yelling and more about him not liking Gibbs.

Unsurprisingly, he is wrong, even if he chooses to evaluate Gibbs' effect on the running game only based on the preseason and with the starting left guard missing the last game. Each game of the preseason, the running backs have improved.

And well, no matter how the running game does, Gibbs is likely to retire sooner than later because, well, he's old, though I think a lot of people would like to look and move around as good as he does at his age.

I almost think journalism has passed him by

I don't mean anything bad, but holly cow .. Houston is a big city and one would think that they would have better journalist (maybe it is the lack of competition in that city)

HoustonFrog
08-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Nice response. I think the guy gets angry that he actually gets called out by more sports educated people and he gets defensive.

gwallaia
08-26-2008, 10:44 AM

Now in his blog comments RJ is referring to me as "that Stephanie woman."

If it makes you feel any better, most of us around here refer to you as "The Stephanie Woman"

IlliniJen
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
That latest post just pissed me off.

F Dick Justice. He's a horrible journalist who thinks that "I don't like Gibbs, therefore he's a bad coach" is a viable and responsible opinion.

Note to chronicle: people come HERE to get their Texans news and opinions. There's more football intelligence in one thread than all year from McClain or Justice.

Hardcore Texan
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM

Well I was going to post a comment at the bottom of the blog, but then I read yours and Specs and I am not sure I could get my point across any better. Good job guys.

Specnatz
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Well I was going to post a comment at the bottom of the blog, but then I read yours and Specs and I am not sure I could get my point across any better. Good job guys.

I have to admit I almost shit a brick when he actually printed mine. :thisbig:

HOU-TEX
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
IMO, this guy isn't worth the paper I wipe my ass with, much less my time to comment on his queer little blog.

While on his little rant about how our running game is so bad this pre-season he mentions being 22nd in rushing next to Pitt and SD. Now, IIRC, don't the Steelers and Chargers normally land in the top 5 or so in rushing every season?? :thinking:

The guy's an asshat! He's like an Elementary School class clown. The more attention he gets, the more he acts like an ass. IMO, the best thing would be to not read or contribute to anything he does.

The Chron sucks anyways.

Brando
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
The 40 Year Old Virgin.....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/50yearoldvirgin.jpg

That's what that picture looks like.....

http://www.tf.org/images/covers/The40YearOldVirgin.jpg

IlliniJen
08-26-2008, 06:53 PM
IMO, this guy isn't worth the paper I wipe my ass with, much less my time to comment on his queer little blog.

While on his little rant about how our running game is so bad this pre-season he mentions being 22nd in rushing next to Pitt and SD. Now, IIRC, don't the Steelers and Chargers normally land in the top 5 or so in rushing every season?? :thinking:

The guy's an asshat! He's like an Elementary School class clown. The more attention he gets, the more he acts like an ass. IMO, the best thing would be to not read or contribute to anything he does.

The Chron sucks anyways.

He's ONLY worth responding to on his blog when he insults one of us, especially when she doesn't deserve it. Steph covers the Texans heads and above the hacks at the chron and she wrote a very reasoned and even-tempered response to Dick and he got his hackles up over it.

He printed my response. I'm very surprised.

Specnatz
08-26-2008, 07:08 PM
He's ONLY worth responding to on his blog when he insults one of us, especially when she doesn't deserve it. Steph covers the Texans heads and above the hacks at the chron and she wrote a very reasoned and even-tempered response to Dick and he got his hackles up over it.

I saw that, very nice job. :d:

Double Barrel
08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Man, a five page thread is five pages to many to spend on an asshat like Justice. He's probably rubbing his nips while he reads these rants. He's as much of a narcissistic blowhard as I've ever wasted my time hearing one.

That's all I've got to say about that! :howdy:

GlassHalfFull
08-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Man, a five page thread is five pages to many to spend on an asshat like Justice. He's probably rubbing his nips while he reads these rants. He's as much of a narcissistic blowhard as I've ever wasted my time hearing one.

That's all I've got to say about that! :howdy:

That is why I posted the thread, so we could rant over here and not up his comment count on his blog. Do you really think he reads message boards? Honest question, I just can't see it.

b0ng
08-26-2008, 07:29 PM
^^No way he reads message boards. Way too much of a prick to do so.

I'm willing to bet this is the most hits his blog has received in the past few months.

Speedy
08-26-2008, 07:32 PM
That is why I posted the thread, so we could rant over here and not up his comment count on his blog. Do you really think he reads message boards? Honest question, I just can't see it.

Why not? He obviously doesn't have much to do. It ain't like he has a real job or anything.

And what happened to the links at the bottom of the page? It's a real drag having to scroll all the way to the top.

Drew_Smoke
08-26-2008, 08:22 PM
My new avatar to remind all of you haters of your boy.

b0ng
08-26-2008, 08:35 PM
My new avatar to remind all of you haters of your boy....

your avatar makes you look like a dick!

Drew_Smoke
08-26-2008, 08:38 PM
your avatar makes you look like a dick!

Thank you.

Anyone else??? LOL

Hardcore Texan
08-26-2008, 08:52 PM
My new avatar to remind all of you haters of your boy....

He really does look like a penis with ears.....just sayin'

mussop
08-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Bwahahahahahaha! It took me a second to get your reference.

I looked up his quote:

"A guy who cheats in a friendly game of cards is a cheater. A pro who throws a spitball to support his family is a competitor." - Milwaukee Brewers Manager (1978-1980) George Bamberger

I guess what he is saying is that he can say whatever ugly and or provocative things he wants about whatever player or coach he wants even without basis if he is doing it for a paycheck?

Is it too much to ask to get actual football analysis?

Oh, and he did print my response (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html):

Hey Steph you are the BOMB! Give him hell girl.
S
T
E
P
H
who do we appreciate!! STEPHANY!!!! YEH!!!!

?, Did the ahole ever answer youre question with a legitamate answer?

b0ng
08-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Thank you...

Anyone else??? LOL

I think this would be a much better avatar for you:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3448/rjvincesee5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3448/rjvincesee5.f162eb5112.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=510&i=rjvincesee5.jpg)

Specnatz
08-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I think this would be a much better avatar for you:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3448/rjvincesee5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3448/rjvincesee5.f162eb5112.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=510&i=rjvincesee5.jpg)

Anyone got a pic of second honeymoon to put in there, it would be fitting.

b0ng
08-26-2008, 11:22 PM
Seems as though Dickie updated some comments:

Is it bad that I only read this blog to see Richard Justice get ripped to shreds in the comments for his lack of football knowledge?

[Sounds like you have a really full life. Glad I can help make it more interesting. This can be the beginning. Have you ever heard of Border's Books? They have books. If you're not familiar with books, you can go into any Border's and ask, ''Do you have a book for me?'' They'll help you. May I suggest ''Man of Means'' by Tom Wolfe or Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry or The Firm by John Grishman. These books aren't above someone of your intelligence. Your life will be changed. Pretty soon you won't be a loser scanning a blog for insults. You'll be a man of substance. OK, maybe you won't, but you might be able to fake it. Get back to me when you've finished these three books and we'll dive into something called National Public Radio. In no time at all, you'll be reading the New Yorker and studying Monet. You're welcome.--Richard]
Posted by: b0ng at August 26, 2008 06:28 PM

Wunderbar.

m5kwatts
08-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Sounds like Richard Justice has a bad case of sour grapes because Alex Gibbs didn't make an exception and give an interview to the Holy Dick Justice of the Comical. Alex Gibbs has never talked to the media and in Denver even made his lineman not talk to the media either. And he questions Alex Gibbs' ability to coach and teach when every intelligent critic of the NFL kisses Gibbs' butt for all his great coaching. Ask former hall of famers Dick, Alex Gibbs knows a thing about coaching and football. Although I do enjoy reading Dick's sappy crap in his 13 year-old-girl-like diary with the Comical.

IlliniJen
08-27-2008, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Dickie Justice
Is it bad that I only read this blog to see Richard Justice get ripped to shreds in the comments for his lack of football knowledge?

[Sounds like you have a really full life. Glad I can help make it more interesting. This can be the beginning. Have you ever heard of Border's Books? They have books. If you're not familiar with books, you can go into any Border's and ask, ''Do you have a book for me?'' They'll help you. May I suggest ''Man of Means'' by Tom Wolfe or Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry or The Firm by John Grishman. These books aren't above someone of your intelligence. Your life will be changed. Pretty soon you won't be a loser scanning a blog for insults. You'll be a man of substance. OK, maybe you won't, but you might be able to fake it. Get back to me when you've finished these three books and we'll dive into something called National Public Radio. In no time at all, you'll be reading the New Yorker and studying Monet. You're welcome.--Richard]

Posted by: b0ng at August 26, 2008 06:28 PM

Wunderbar.

Are those books REALLY his measure of good literature and intelligent writing?

Look, Dick can be a dick in a vacuum, but when someone (Steph) rightfully points out that his comments about Gibbs are NOT good journalism, nor are they couched in reality (as Steph pointed out, the running game has steadily improved during the preseason) and Dick comes back with insults and dismissals, well then boys and girls, it's slap ya mamma time.

Like LZ would say on The Game: Don't start none, won't be none.

I don't like hanging on people's jocks, but honestly, Steph has done more in-depth reporting and analysis for us Texans fans than either Dick or McLame over at the chron. And I would hazard to say, there's a lot of posters here that could kick Dick's ass in the football and Texans knowledge arena. So when Dick makes outlandish statements that he cannot back up with hard facts (unlike Steph), and you're called on it...well, you can either man up and say you're wrong, or you can go the Dickie Justice route and turn the attacks on the readers.

He is, in a word, an assclown. Or for you more exotic insulters, a cocknostril.

Don't start none, won't be none. You mess with the TTdotcomers, you get the horns.

mussop
08-27-2008, 05:27 AM
Hey Justice I hate to be the one to break this to you but you might want to take a look at my aviator.

Love hurts!

Malloy
08-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Someone should bring his borderline psychotic and rude behavior to the attention of his boss...

HoustonFrog
08-27-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dickie Justice

[Sounds like you have a really full life. Glad I can help make it more interesting. This can be the beginning. Have you ever heard of Border's Books? They have books. If you're not familiar with books, you can go into any Border's and ask, ''Do you have a book for me?'' They'll help you. May I suggest ''Man of Means'' by Tom Wolfe or Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry or The Firm by John Grishman. These books aren't above someone of your intelligence. Your life will be changed. Pretty soon you won't be a loser scanning a blog for insults. You'll be a man of substance. OK, maybe you won't, but you might be able to fake it. Get back to me when you've finished these three books and we'll dive into something called National Public Radio. In no time at all, you'll be reading the New Yorker and studying Monet. You're welcome.--Richard]Posted by: b0ng at August 26, 2008 06:28 PM

Wunderbar.

I read this. I mean is the guy in 8th grade or something?How can an adult that expects people to take his work seriously respond like this to people?

gwallaia
08-27-2008, 08:47 AM
He's giving a bad name to Dicks everywhere.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2008, 09:28 AM

Look, Dick can be a dick in a vacuum, but when someone (Steph) rightfully points out that his comments about Gibbs are NOT good journalism, nor are they couched in reality (as Steph pointed out, the running game has steadily improved during the preseason) and Dick comes back with insults and dismissals, well then boys and girls, it's slap ya mamma time.

I don't like hanging on people's jocks, but honestly, Steph has done more in-depth reporting and analysis for us Texans fans than either Dick or McLame over at the chron. And I would hazard to say, there's a lot of posters here that could kick Dick's ass in the football and Texans knowledge arena. So when Dick makes outlandish statements that he cannot back up with hard facts (unlike Steph), and you're called on it...well, you can either man up and say you're wrong, or you can go the Dickie Justice route and turn the attacks on the readers.

Don't start none, won't be none. You mess with the TTdotcomers, you get the horns.

Best. Post. Ever.

HOU-TEX
08-27-2008, 10:01 AM
He's giving a bad name to Dicks everywhere.

LMAO! Yes...yes he is!

BTW, some of these new avatars are way worse than the ones in "avagate".

Vinnie
08-27-2008, 10:13 AM

You must spread some rep around, blah, blah, blah. :goodpost:

Edit: Oh yeah, and don't get me started on his take on the standing ovation Ron Artest got when he was introduced as a Rocket the other day. No layups dick!

HOU-TEX
08-27-2008, 10:19 AM

And that's exactly what he wants people to do. I don't think he gives a damn about what people think or say about him. He's all about having his ego fluffed up.

But hey, at least we agree he's an asshat. I like the cocknostril touch too. LOL!

Texans_Chick
08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I love newspapers. Love them. Still prefer to read the print version.

You can ignore what they say but the problem is that this is the place where most Houston fans get their news from. It's the place that most national people get their news from too. They are the only newspaper in town, and they have access to the team.

So you can either just rail at them with pitchforks. Or try to encourage them to do better.

I really am not up with personal insults. As we all know as Texans fans, "God don't like ugly." We are better off as a fanbase and as people, to look at this reporting with a critical eye, but not to devolve into name calling. Sometimes that is hard to do, but I think it is a good thing to do.

Personally, I think Justice is too busy and spread too thin, so he can't get into any subject into too much depth.

Interestingly enough, I think he edited out his reference to "that Stephanie woman" though you can still see references to it from other commenters.

Lucky
08-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Looking at this thread again, reminded me that Richard Justice's favorite coach is former Texas Tech (and IU) head basketball coach, Bob Knight. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but didn't Knight have the reputation as a coach who would raise his voice on occasion? Let me know if I'm wrong here.

Several times, I've heard Justice fawn over Knight's greatness. It's right here in his blog (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/03/billy_gillispie.html).

Others, like Bob Knight, mix humor and confrontation. Don't let Knight's reputation fool you. He's brilliant at working the media. He has far more friends among sportswriters than you'll ever know. Dozens of sportswriters (including me) love Knight.... For one thing, he's the best basketball coach who ever lived.I'm confused. How can Bob Knight be such a great coach, when his players tune him out from the screaming? Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Like maybe Richard Justice is a lying, hypocritical sack of Waxahachie cow chips?

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2008, 10:44 AM
He talked about Lombardi and missed the target . It was said that Lombardi treated his men evenly ... like dogs . Lombardi had a guy come to his office and demand a raise . Lombardi gave him a raise , picked up the phone and then traded him . Lombardi demanded so much from his players from the shoulders up , wanting them smart and tough . His drills pretty much let you know who was tough .

A good football team has to have a certain toughness bordering on lunacy . If they can't take Gibbs or Kubiak ... then they can't take it . They don't have to be dirty but being right on the line is not so bad . Who wins when the ball is on the one yard line , it's 4th down and you're losing by 5 . It'll be the the teams that's prepared and that wants it the most . The more that you go through the more you have invested , the less likely you are to retreat .

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I love newspapers. Love them. Still prefer to read the print version.

You can ignore what they say but the problem is that this is the place where most Houston fans get their news from. It's the place that most national people get their news from too. They are the only newspaper in town, and they have access to the team.

So you can either just rail at them with pitchforks. Or try to encourage them to do better.

I really am not up with personal insults. As we all know as Texans fans, "God don't like ugly." We are better off as a fanbase and as people, to look at this reporting with a critical eye, but not to devolve into name calling. Sometimes that is hard to do, but I think it is a good thing to do.

Personally, I think Justice is too busy and spread too thin, so he can't get into any subject into too much depth.

Interestingly enough, I think he edited out his reference to "that Stephanie woman" though you can still see references to it from other commenters.

I get more good information from this board and you TC than I do from papers and talkshows ... thanks so much .

Texans_Chick
08-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Looking at this thread again, reminded me that Richard Justice's favorite coach is former Texas Tech (and IU) head basketball coach, Bob Knight. Maybe I'm not remembering this correctly, but didn't Knight have the reputation as a coach who would raise his voice on occasion? Let me know if I'm wrong here.

Several times, I've heard Justice fawn over Knight's greatness. It's right here in his blog (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/03/billy_gillispie.html).

I'm confused. How can Bob Knight be such a great coach, when his players tune him out from the screaming? Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Like maybe Richard Justice is a lying, hypocritical sack of Waxahachie cow chips?

Because RJ's position on this subject is a moving target from his first article where he implies the players are going to tune Gibbs out and that he might not be the smartest knife in the drawer, to saying that I'm gullible and clueless to think that the Texans linemen are liking Gibbs' teachings, to saying good coaches don't yell, to then saying some coaches yell, but they do it the right way, to saying hey, I don't like Gibbs, I don't like that he doesn't talk to the media but his players haven't been saying anything bad about him.

That last bit is what that strange article was all about.

noxiousdog
08-27-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm confused. How can Bob Knight be such a great coach, when his players tune him out from the screaming? Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Like maybe Richard Justice is a lying, hypocritical sack of Waxahachie cow chips?

College vs. Pro. There's certainly some truth to what he's saying, but I think winning > a nice coach. Gibbs has produced a winning running game. End of story.

Brando
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/dickandvince.jpg

Dick loves his Vince and Vince loves Dick!

Brando
08-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Okay since he left this comment.......

[I don't know what Stephanie's real name is, but she creeps me out. She writes a little too often, wants to discuss and debate. She has her own blog, so why is she so interested in mine? Ask yourself that question. Maybe I've watched Fatal Attraction too many times. If something happens to one of my rabbits, she's going to be in big trouble.--Richard]

He wants to play the Fatal Attraction card? That's hilarious. He is the one obsessed over Vince Young.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/fatal_attraction.jpg

Texans_Chick
08-27-2008, 11:23 AM

[I don't know what Stephanie's real name is, but she creeps me out. She writes a little too often, wants to discuss and debate. She has her own blog, so why is she so interested in mine? Ask yourself that question. Maybe I've watched Fatal Attraction too many times. If something happens to one of my rabbits, she's going to be in big trouble.--Richard]

He wants to play the Fatal Attraction card? That's hilarious. He is the one obsessed over Vince Young.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/fatal_attraction.jpg

Huh? Where did he say that?

Brando
08-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Huh? Where did he say that?

Last post.

DBCooper
08-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Looks like someone is scared for their livelihood. Trying to bash the competition.

Keep up the good work TC, you are making a difference.

Double Barrel
08-27-2008, 11:40 AM

Dickie is narcissistic and self-centered enough to push a few buttons to see what we're saying about him. I think it is quite possible that this thread has been mentioned to him at some point and Dickie has quietly read these remarks much to his delight.

I hope so, too. Because he's an assclown, a moron, a douche bag, and a joke of a writer. His radio show blows, his commentary is way below average, and his obvious bias towards a certain player borders on a NAMBLA crush. The dude could be run out of town by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks and I would feel the least bit of remorse for him. Matter-of-fact, I'll buy some extra pitchforks for anyone wishing to help clean up this city of his rubbish.

And that's all I've got to say today about this asshat. :shades:

HOU-TEX
08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
dickie is narcissistic and self-centered enough to push a few buttons to see what we're saying about him. I think it is quite possible that this thread has been mentioned to him at some point and dickie has quietly read these remarks much to his delight.

I hope so, too. Because he's an assclown, a moron, a douche bag, and a joke of a writer. His radio show blows, his commentary is way below average, and his obvious bias towards a certain player borders on a nambla crush. The dude could be run out of town by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks and i would feel the least bit of remorse for him. Matter-of-fact, i'll buy some extra pitchforks for anyone wishing to help clean up this city of his rubbish.

And that's all i've got to say today about this asshat. :shades:

/End Thread/

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Everyone should call his show and talk about TC .

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2008, 11:43 AM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/dickandvince.jpg

Dick loves his Vince and Vince loves Dick!

You solved the Mona Lisa smile !!!

WWJD
08-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't waste another moment on him.

He can't throw a pass or make a tackle.

He won't have a say one way or the other on the Texans season.

And really...bottom line...it's all about the football team. And how they do.

All this other stuff is just stuff!

IlliniJen
08-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Dickie is narcissistic and self-centered enough to push a few buttons to see what we're saying about him. I think it is quite possible that this thread has been mentioned to him at some point and Dickie has quietly read these remarks much to his delight.

I hope so, too. Because he's an assclown, a moron, a douche bag, and a joke of a writer. His radio show blows, his commentary is way below average, and his obvious bias towards a certain player borders on a NAMBLA crush. The dude could be run out of town by an angry mob with torches and pitchforks and I would feel the least bit of remorse for him. Matter-of-fact, I'll buy some extra pitchforks for anyone wishing to help clean up this city of his rubbish.

And that's all I've got to say today about this asshat. :shades:

You can bet a million bucks Dickie Justice ego surfs himself on google and reads the prominent sports boards in town.

And not to worry about his radio show...his contract was NOT picked back up. He doesn't have the talent to carry a show by himself. If he can't do it on radio, it doesn't bode well for his famewhoring ESPN gig dreams. Unfortunately, much like an STD, he's going to be showing up as a commentator on other 1560 AM shows.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2008, 11:58 AM

You should leave that as a comment before I steal it and post it for you :)

Wolf
08-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Do you know if Alex Gibbs builds relationships with his players? You don't know that. Some of the greatest coaches of all-time yelled at their players. Some players need that to get them going and that's the job of the coaches to get the best out of their players. Your wrong about this. Just because he didn't give you an interview doesn't give you the right to dog the guy. I think you owe Stephanie an apology too.

No disrespect to high school journalists.. but that reeks of high school.

To me he seems to get offended with REAL intelligent discussions ..

Wolf
08-27-2008, 12:14 PM
this quote from good will hunting came to mind

Will: See, the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you're gonna staht doin some thinkin on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certaintees in life. One, don't do that. And Two, you dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a ****in education you coulda got for a dollah fifty in late chahges at the public library

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119217/quotes

Brando
08-27-2008, 12:19 PM

That was his response to me, not sure why he responded that way.

Hardcore Texan
08-27-2008, 12:23 PM

He's trying to be funny, problem is he just comes off like a Dick.

Specnatz
08-27-2008, 12:29 PM
WOW now that irks me off. He knows damn well who the hell she is. What a vial piece of crap.

Wolf
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
WOW now that irks me off. He knows damn well who the hell she is. What a vial piece of crap.

no joke. I know TC can handle her own but that irritates me

I debate on postings something and then not because I almost think that is what he wants so his blog gets alot of hits..

maybe I should post on TC's blog instead.. atleast there is REAL football discusson

ATXtexanfan
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
wow, finally read through that blog. way to blast back fellas and nice to see everyone rally around TC. texans talk is the only place for news on the texans so far as i'm concerned

False Start
08-27-2008, 01:01 PM
He is the one obsessed over Vince Young.

Yeah he is, its kind of creepy, and sad actually.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/prettyjustice4.jpg

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah he is, its kind of creepy, and sad actually.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/prettyjustice4.jpg

Way to go on the pics guys!!! Keep 'em coming. We need to get Diapher on this.

Cjeremy635
08-27-2008, 01:38 PM

That's one of the most disturbing things I've ever read by another man. He's a tool and I never really understood what a "mancrush" was until I read that article. Completely odd!

Brando
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
That's one of the most disturbing things I've ever read by another man. He's a tool and I never really understood what a "mancrush" was until I read that article. Completely odd!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/dick-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
08-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Richard Justice and Dr. Z discuss football .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8kve-dEWE

Specnatz
08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
That F'n D-Bag deleted all the comments from yesterday that Steph, Illini Jane, Bong and I made.

What a sorry piece of crap, I feel sorry if he has kids cause I bet they get beat up everyday just because of who their dad is.

IlliniJen
08-27-2008, 02:50 PM
The reality is with the advent of blogs and web 2.0, you're going to get smart, funny, passionate fans who write about their teams with more more fervor and information than a lot of the journalists.

Steph is one of those fans. The death knell of bad journalists is here...why read the "mainstream" press that has been resting on its laurels (and haunches) for years, churning out droll and complacent drivel, when we fans now have other information choices?

Richard, you're of the "boom goes the dynamite" ilk...you try way too hard and fall horribly flat. 2.0 is here and you're in its (and our) rearview.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Let's see if he posts that. I wonder just how far you can push before he won't approve a comment.

The "vince's rabbit" comment was PRICELESS. Nice turning that stalker shit around on him. I think his man parts are jealous that a WOMAN is out reporting him on the Texans.

Showtime100
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm still reading but this jumped off the page.

Awesome, man. Your personal attack on Steph for *gasp* questioning your comments is incredibly classy....especially considering she's forgotten more about football than you'll ever know.

If you'd like to discuss journalistic professionalism, I'd be happy to join. I'm quite sure there are many who'd like a piece of that action.

[I'd like to discuss umpire competence. I was going to get all worked up about your comment, but the Rays just got robbed by the umps. Holy Toledo, what a bad call. A.J. Pierzynski gets me more riled up than you and Stephanie combined.--Richard]

Begin paraphrase..........As a Houston sports journalist, I would love to sit here and talk Houston sports with you oh no! now they hitting home with the professionalism thing! Well, gotta go, I was just watching an American League game half way across the country and that is important, bye!

Wow. Back to my reading.......

IlliniJen
08-27-2008, 02:52 PM
That F'n D-Bag deleted all the comments from yesterday that Steph, Illini Jane, Bong and I made.

What a sorry piece of crap, I feel sorry if he has kids cause I bet they get beat up everyday just because of who their dad is.

NO NO NO...don't get the two posts confused. Our stuff is still up. He has two blog posts we've been posting comments to...his "screaming is silly" and the one about does anyone believe the Texans are better.

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2008, 02:54 PM

At least we have a record of them here. At least most of them. Make sure you quote any future comments of his here, that you want to save.

infantrycak
08-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Wow--someone involved in the conversation might want to forward some of those comments to the feedback people at the Chronicle. Justice is being incredibly unprofessional.

Specnatz
08-27-2008, 03:07 PM
At least we have a record of them here. At least most of them. Make sure you quote any future comments of his here, that you want to save.

I never posted what I said but I do have it so here it is.

I didn't have a single anger issue until that Stephanie woman got me riled up.

You mean Mrs Stephanie Stradley who used to write a blog for the Chron and now all her work has someone elses name on it. Ask your lawyers what they call that. Seriously, you owe her an apology for the total lack of respect. Just because a LADY knows more about football than you is no reason to get your panties in a huff. Have just a little class and dignity, please!

I don't like Alex Gibbs. I think he's part of a team sport, but tries very hard not to be part of the team. He has his own set of rules apart from the team.

So you wrote these two articles because you do not like Alex Gibbs. Just like you writting and askin all the tsips to make up names for Mario cause your boy vy did not get drafted. Yep you are a very petty human being. I would suggest you asking Gibbs if he cares if you like him or his coaching style, but since he is not talking to you maybe you can get McClain to ask for you.

I don't consider Cowher a screamer. He's brilliant at dealing with players. So you're 1 for 3.

Actually that would be 1 for 2 with the third you do not know so you will make up the answer for it.

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 03:42 PM
For posterity's sake...

Richard,

Why don't you just go write for the Austin American Statesman? It would be a match made in heaven. You could even Emcee Vince's jersey retirement ceremony. In the meantime, I will read other local sports writer's opinions and articles because they are based in reality (see Stephanie Stradley) rather than skewed opinions and prejudices.

Good luck with the move to Austenn....

[I AM emceeing the Vince jersey retirement.--Richard]

Posted by: Texan_Bill at August 27, 2008 08:09 AM

Posted by Richard:

What the h*ll is going on around here????!!!!

Kindest Regards,
Coach Lombardi

I wouldn't know what he's talking about!!!

Signed,
Curly Lambeau

Richard is right. I never yelled at my players [sarcasm]....

Sincerely,
Bill Parcels

[I][You're trying to make something complex seem simple. Parcells and Lombardi were great at building relationships with players. They did scream, but not mindlessly.--Richard]

Posted by: Texan_Bill at August 27, 2008 08:35 AM

Trap_Star
08-27-2008, 03:50 PM
i love this thread!

Texans_Chick
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Do you know if Alex Gibbs builds relationships with his players? You don't know that. Some of the greatest coaches of all-time yelled at their players. Some players need that to get them going and that's the job of the coaches to get the best out of their players. Your wrong about this. Just because he didn't give you an interview doesn't give you the right to dog the guy. I think you owe Stephanie an apology too.

Hmmm.

People engage in ad hominem attacks when they can't rationally discuss the topic at hand. He's busted writing stuff that is hopelessly misguided and wrong, so he makes this about me.

Really, it is sad.

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 05:06 PM
It wasn't long ago that a particular poster on this board tried to convince a few of us that Dick was good. He really liked Dick... We banded together against our wayward poster in trying to convince them that Dick is really bad and an asshat... Alas, it was to no avail.. I hear that poster, vincent and Dick will all be very happy together....

:specnatz:

hadaad
08-27-2008, 05:07 PM
It's pretty typical in the blogosphere, though. There are all kinds of ways to avoid having to defend the stance you've taken and you'll find them all on the internet.

I'd expect more from a professional (in salary, if nowhere else) writer.

hobie
08-27-2008, 05:08 PM
It wasn't long ago that a particular poster on this board tried to convince a few of us that Dick was good. He really liked Dick... We banded together against our wayward poster in trying to convince them that Dick is really bad and an asshat... Alas, it was to no avail.. I hear that poster, vincent and Dick will all be very happy together....

Was it DB, as he's been telling me that for a while now even though I have told him I don't go that way...

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Was it DB, as he's been telling me that for a while now even though I have told him I don't go that way...

Good guess, but wrong... I think DB is pretty much on board with Dick being an asshat... Guess again.

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2008, 05:11 PM
I don't think Hobie was talking about Richard Justice.

Spec is my guess.

Go read http://www.atexansblog.com/ for another take on the situation. Warning: Extremely NSFW language.

hobie
08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

Spec is my guess.

Go read http://www.atexansblog.com/ for another take on the situation. Warning: Extremely NSFW language.

Correct !

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 05:13 PM

Spec is my guess.

I know for a fact that Spec hates Dick... Dick Justice that is.

IlliniJen
08-27-2008, 05:17 PM

To clarify: dick is good, Dick is not.

Double Barrel
08-27-2008, 05:21 PM

For the last time, I will not be able to participate in your float for the Pride Parade! I don't care how many condoms you had to paste on that thing, that's just not how I roll.

Although it does seem like you could do a better job than last year. You and your buddies were getting a little weird with it, as evidenced by that picture you sent me...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1107/614303857_a47003361b.jpg?v=0

Were you dancing with Dick Justice?! That's a weird coincidence!

Texan_Bill
08-27-2008, 05:24 PM
For the last time, I will not be able to participate in your float for the Pride Parade! I don't care how many condoms you had to paste on that thing, that's just not how I roll.

Although it does seem like you could do a better job than last year. You and your buddies were getting a little weird with it, as evidenced by that picture you sent me...
Were you dancing with Dick Justice?! That's a weird coincidence!

If that picture is ever posted again, it will be too soon DB!! :bat:

Hervoyel
08-27-2008, 05:33 PM
You guys give this man entirely too much attention.

Specnatz
08-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Spec is my guess.

WTF am I being thrown under the bus?

Everyone of my comments to Richard Justice has been posted and deleted. He post my comments and then deletes them like no one saw it.

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2008, 06:17 PM

WTF am I being thrown under the bus?

Everyone of my comments to Richard Justice has been posted and deleted. He post my comments and then deletes them like no one saw it.

Sorry, Mea Culpa. In my defense, he used your smilie. The way the original post was stated, it sounded like this was from a while back.

False Start
08-27-2008, 06:45 PM
You guys give this man entirely too much attention.

Its fun though. :heh:

Per request. Its not my best effort, I left my laptop with Photoshop on it at work. MS paint really sucks compared to PS.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/bbmkyrj.jpg

Showtime100
08-27-2008, 07:06 PM
Everyone is waiting to hear what Wild Bill Clinton has to say and the best thread on the board is about Dick. What is it with that guy? :D

GlassHalfFull
08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Just to add more fuel to the fire. He had a blog about how Spike Dykes is a great coach. (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/if_youre_ever_i.html) Here is an exchange between a poster and Dick

Leach blows a game every year....usually against a nobody like Okie State. Ever notice that for all his "success" no other school makes any effort to get him. Probably bc he is always "thirsty"..know what I mean?...and I think you do...

PS You do know that with his players Leach is generally grump and yells all the time dont you? Surely that bothers you...ort is it ok because he talks to you?

[College coaches can get away with it. Wayne Graham has won a game or two, and no one yells more than him.--Richard]

mussop
08-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Whats wrong with the 9th page link to this thread?

Showtime100
08-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Whats wrong with the 9th page link to this thread?

It just means page 8 is almost used up and page 9 close at hand. This post might begin page 9, dunno.

For future reference if you hit the next page and get a repeat of the previous one there are no new posts to read. Personally, I blame Bill. :specnatz:

Texan_Bill
08-28-2008, 09:39 AM
It just means page 8 is almost used up and page 9 close at hand. This post might begin page 9, dunno.

For future reference if you hit the next page and get a repeat of the previous one there are no new posts to read. Personally, I blame Bill. :specnatz:

How are you gonna blame moi???

Anyway, Dick just spewed - all over John and Lance's show.... :voodoo:

Showtime100
08-28-2008, 09:42 AM
How are you gonna blame moi???

Anyway, Dick just spewed - all over John and Lance's show.... :voodoo:

I miss all the good stuff. I take it he vented on the Texans, us, or maybe Stephanie in particular??

Texan_Bill
08-28-2008, 09:47 AM
I miss all the good stuff. I take it he vented on the Texans, us, or maybe Stephanie in particular??

He didn't really mention TC, but made all kinds of excuses of why Lombardi and Parcells would yell at their players. He went on to talk smack about Gibbs and why he doesn't like him, :blah: :blah: :blah:

I emailed the show a couple of times and in one I told "Nancy Boy to shut the h*ll up"

Vinnie
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
I liked the e-mail John read that said Dickie's just upset Gibbs wouldn't sit naked with him in a sauna. :whip:

Specnatz
08-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Talk about big time editing .. he deleted everything from the 26th yesterday and now today he has re-added some of the post cause he realized how it looked. What a loser.

hadaad
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
What he needs is a big scary guy standing behind him who just stands there until the "Post" button is clicked. Then the guy reads the post. If it's up to usual standards, RJ gets a slap upside the back of the head and told to edit. Repeat until something resembling sense comes out.

If nothing else, it would be fun to see.

Wolf
08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I liked the e-mail John read that said Dickie's just upset Gibbs wouldn't sit naked with him in a sauna. :whip:

LOL probably wasn't room with YKW and the bottle of tequilla

Wolf
08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
OH JEN!! LMAO

The reality is with the advent of blogs and web 2.0, you're going to get smart, funny, passionate fans who write about their teams with more more fervor and information than a lot of the journalists.

Steph is one of those fans. The death knell of bad journalists is here...why read the "mainstream" press that has been resting on its laurels (and haunches) for years, churning out droll and complacent drivel, when we fans now have other information choices?

Richard, you're of the "boom goes the dynamite" ilk...you try way too hard and fall horribly flat. 2.0 is here and you're in its (and our) rearview.

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

and for some that haven't seen the reference

I feel bad for the guy..or maybe not because I am laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

hadaad
08-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Your "reference" may be the most uncomfortable thing I've ever watched.

Showtime100
08-28-2008, 12:42 PM
and for some that haven't seen the reference

I feel bad for the guy..or maybe not because I am laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no

They have an update on him at ,awfulannouncing.com (http://www.awfulannouncing.com/) you have to thumb through about three pages now since you can't url the particular page, seems he working in, of all places, Wacko, Tx.

Another little tidbit on the site was the Chicago Sun-Times "fond farewell" to departing home team basher Jay Mariotti. I wish a similar article would be in the Chron tomorrow,

Release from the Sun-Times

August 27, 2008

Chicago Sun-Times Editor in Chief Michael Cooke issued the following statement today regarding the resignation of sports columnist Jay Mariotti:

The Chicago Sun-Times had the best sports section in the city before Jay Mariotti came to town -- that's why he signed up with us -- and his departure does not change that.

We still have the stars -- respected veterans such as Rick Telander, fiery newcomers such as Greg Couch, quirky voices like Carol Slezak, not to mention seasoned beat reporters tracking the Cubs and White Sox toward their eventual collision in the World Series, plus the Bears, the Bulls, the Blackhawks, and all the other teams that make Chicago the sports center of the nation. We could have a World Series in Chicago in a couple of months ... talk about excitement!

The Chicago Sun-Times and suntimes.com will continue to have the scores and the stories before anyone else, anywhere, and the deepest and most comprehensive stats and standings. We wish Jay well and will miss him -- not personally, of course -- but in the sense of noticing he is no longer here, at least for a few days.

A paper, like a sports franchise, is something that moves into the future. Stars come and stars go, but the Sun-Times sports section was, is and will continue to be the best in the city.
Hahahaha. With that one jab, Michael Cooke just became my hero. It's sad that his industry is dying, and that Mariotti wins out in the end because he'll always have an opportunity to spew his nonsense at ESPN, but that's just downright hilarious. Bitter much?

Update: Mariotti is still doing ATH from the CS-T newsroom. They must not hate him THAT much....

"All these celebrations in and around Chicago. What's going on today?"- Jay Mariotti

GlassHalfFull
08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Someone posted a link to this article on Justice's blog

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/1131768,CST-SPT-deluca28.article

Sox on Mariotti's split: 'It's about time'
REACTION | The self-proclaimed tough-guy columnist never faced his targets, and that's the main reason he was considered a coward in clubhouses

August 28, 2008Recommend (107)

BY CHRIS DE LUCA cdeluca@suntimes.com
BALTIMORE -- Word of Jay Mariotti's split with the Chicago Sun-Times reached the White Sox' clubhouse minutes after their victory Tuesday night against the Baltimore Orioles, and the reaction could be heard outside.

Once again, Mariotti should've been there to witness it first-hand.

Justice's reply was ouch

Wolf
08-28-2008, 12:57 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if something was done on his blog that would have him approve the comments before they are posted.

he is taking a well deserve comment beating..

What gets me is TC put out straight forward facts for discussion and he helped turn in into a circus (it was a circus with the blog) and to me. I am not from Houston and have never been there but I can't believe that He is a (don't want to offend anyone) "sports writer" .. and honestly feel he wasted his money on that college education to get a piece of paper..

I guess when there is no competition,one doesn't have to try

Texans_Chick
08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
It wouldn't suprise me if something was done on his blog that would have him approve the comments before they are posted.

he is taking a well deserve comment beating..

What gets me is TC put out straight forward facts for discussion and he helped turn in into a circus (it was a circus with the blog) and to me. I am not from Houston and have never been there but I can't believe that He is a (don't want to offend anyone) "sports writer" .. and honestly feel he wasted his money on that college education to get a piece of paper..

I guess when there is no competition,one doesn't have to try

This is how the blog software works.

Usually, the writer of the blog has to approve every single comment made if they are going to be published. The directions I was given that we were to publish everything unless it was vulgar or used naughty words.

By having the writer of the blog approve the comments, then the blog author has the ability to respond to them immediately. (Personally, I used to publish first and then comment to people all at once because it took less time).

It is an amazing time suck. I am sure that the journalists for the Chronicle do not take joy in publishing blog comments.

Sometimes, if you were going to be away from the computer, a blog editor would approve the comments.

Once in a while a blog comment comes through that you miss publishing because of the way the software works. There should never be a situation where blog posts are "accidentally" deleted.

It is extremely poor blog form to delete published posts (unless you notice later that they are vulgar or something). Deleting published posts just because you disagree with them is something that you expect the Chinese to do, to hide controversies they don't want their people to find out about.

Wolf
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
thanks again TC for clarification

IlliniJen
08-28-2008, 01:56 PM
Dickie was on the radio with John and Lance this morning on the verge of a semi-whine about the difference in baseball versus basketball and football fans. He doesn't think anyone can criticize the Texans without the fans getting their undies in a bunch, where as baseball fans are not as likely to raise a stink.

I guess if Dick wrote an even-handed and competent assessment of his two weak sports -- bball and footbal -- and didn't base his opinions on not liking coaches or because we didn't draft VY, then there wouldn't be much of an issue.

And when people criticize his weaknesses in coverage and obvious bias, he blames the veracity of the fans, not his own lack of objectivity and ability. Dude is laughable.

Props to the people emailing 1560 to support TC. Lance stood up for her too.

noxiousdog
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Wait, we have a reputation for NOT criticizing the Texans? Which message board is that?

You got a nice shoutout this morning for yourself IJ.

IlliniJen
08-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Wait, we have a reputation for NOT criticizing the Texans? Which message board is that?

You got a nice shoutout this morning for yourself IJ.

I did? I didn't hear the whole show...just the part where they talked about TC and I think Texan Bill emailed the show to defend her.

Hardcore Texan
08-28-2008, 03:39 PM
I did? I didn't hear the whole show...just the part where they talked about TC and I think Texan Bill emailed the show to defend her.

Is there a transcript of this anywhere? Does anyone know?

Texan_Bill
08-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah, they read part of my email....

After Dick started in about TC and his kid's rabbit, I wrote this and they responded "LOL"

Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:30 AM
To: Bill ******
Subject: RE: Dickie

LOL

Posted At: Thursday, August 28, 2008 10:29 AM
Posted To: Doublerods
Conversation: Dickie
Subject: Dickie

Dickie – I love rabbit stew!! Steph, go hunting!!!

Texan_Bill

noxiousdog
08-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Not major. They just started off this morning saying they had women listeners, and said 'IlliniJen listens to the show.'

Double Barrel
08-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Texans fans are going to run Dick Justice out of town. Awesome. :survivor:

IlliniJen
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Texans fans are going to run Dick Justice out of town. Awesome. :survivor:

Mess with the bull, get the fans.

Yes, I made the up on the fly. There is no off position on the genius switch.

dickieb
08-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Whew!!!!!! I just saw this thread (haven't been on in a while) and thought, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?.....

I thought there was a thread about me, after reading it I'm glad it wasn't!

Wolf
08-28-2008, 10:03 PM
The good thing is that I don't have to keep up with the Baylor-Wake Forest game. Justice is keeping up with it. And he's rubbing it in, too. Baylor trails 17-0 early in the second quarter. Right about now, Art Briles may wish he were back at the U of Houston.

john McClain's live blog
http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/08/live_blog_bucs_at_texans_1.html

mussop
08-29-2008, 01:03 AM
FSN's post game just anounced that next weeks topic will be "How the Texans linemen like the new zone blocking scheme and offensive line coach Alex Gibbs".

:thinking: Methinks someone from FSN has been browsing the board.

Texans_Chick
08-29-2008, 04:26 PM
FSN's post game just anounced that next weeks topic will be "How the Texans linemen like the new zone blocking scheme and offensive line coach Alex Gibbs".

:thinking: Methinks someone from FSN has been browsing the board.

Really?

In any event, here's my account: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/29/houston-chronicle-columnist-richard-justice-unfairly-attacks-ale/

I was hesitant to write it because mainstream media v. bloggers is very played out, but I thought it was out of line to delete my comments and then leave the impression on both his blog and on the radio that I was a stalker. And in the bigger scheme of things, I think it is a good idea to shed light on what that Gibbs article was all about, and how he responds to reasonable questions about his work.

But overall, I just find it sad.

Texan_Bill
08-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Really?

In any event, here's my account: http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/29/houston-chronicle-columnist-richard-justice-unfairly-attacks-ale/

I was hesitant to write it because mainstream media v. bloggers is very played out, but I thought it was out of line to delete my comments and then leave the impression on both his blog and on the radio that I was a stalker. And in the bigger scheme of things, I think it is a good idea to shed light on what that Gibbs article was all about, and how he responds to reasonable questions about his work.

Why would you be hesitant about writing that piece when all you did was expose this poor excuse of a fish wrap hack - for who he is....

"Dickie is who we thought he was.... Don't let him off the hook!"

GlassHalfFull
08-29-2008, 04:58 PM
Why would you be hesitant about writing that piece when all you did was expose this poor excuse of a fish wrap hack - for who he is....

"Dickie is who we thought he was.... Don't let him off the hook!"

New sig material?

Texan_Bill
08-29-2008, 05:02 PM
New sig material?

Maybe.... Maybe change it up a little:

"Dickie is who we thought he was and we WON'T let him off the hook!"

GlassHalfFull
08-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe.... Maybe change it up a little:

"Dickie is who we thought he was and we WON'T let him off the hook!"

So do you have to coordinate with Hou-Tex now before you can change your signature?

Texan_Bill
08-29-2008, 05:28 PM
So do you have to coordinate with Hou-Tex now before you can change your signature?

I think the sig battle may be over............. for now! :thinking:

IlliniJen
08-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I made my own ode to Dick. Since he can make shit up and pass it off as real, so can I.

Honoring Earl 34
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I made my own ode to Dick. Since he can make shit up and pass it off as real, so can I.

I'm not even touching this one ... :tiptoe: .

Hardcore Texan
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Really?

Nice read. The truth has been said, at the end of the day that's all you can do in a sense. RJ has proven that he doesn't understand what it is to be a professional, almost acting like he can't be touched or has too much power or something. I think a person in his position, a sports writer (and I use the term loosely) in a major city should be more responsible.

IlliniJen
08-30-2008, 12:21 AM
Nice read. The truth has been said, at the end of the day that's all you can do in a sense. RJ has proven that he doesn't understand what it is to be a professional, almost acting like he can't be touched or has too much power or something. I think a person in his position, a sports writer (and I use the term loosely) in a major city should be more responsible.

Hell, all journalists should be more responsible, period. The sports writers in this city on the chron see themselves AS the entertainment, not reporters bringing us news about the entertainment. There's a time and place for that sort of chicanery, and it should be contained to things like sports radio, where you walk in expecting entertainment mixed with sports info and analysis.

Dick writes his stuff like he's a message board poster, on a message board, for the express purpose of stirring the pot. That would be fine if he were a random poster in the NSZ, but when folks want to get the news about their sports teams and objective criticism about the good and bad, they simply can't rely on the people employed by this city's only paper.

If I were a writer assigned to the politics beat, would it be appropriate for me to ask my readers to come up with negative nicknames for a politician in order to mock that politician? Or bash them because I don't like them?

Journalism in a lot of places is two steps away from being TMZ. That's why, when people like Tim Russert pass away, you get a sinking feeling that there's really no one who will fill his void, and provide quality reporting and analysis with integrity. ESPN is sadly degrading the quality of sports reporting as well, encouraging honks like Dick Justice to be a squawking head who wants to be the product rather than report on it.

Stemp
08-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Here's my late reply to DICK. He's probably too chicken******* to post it but here it is for him to read while he's trolling boards looking for his opinion. I tailgate with TC and consider her a friend, so this really ticked me off. I had to edit my reply to tone it down so it at least had a chance to be posted, but the first draft was not nearly as nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DICK,
You showed your yellow belly by deleting her comments. You wrote your initial post becuase you were mad at Gibbs for not giving you the time of day and then when you got called out for your obvious panty-wadding, you decided to try and turn this on Stephanie. Then you get called out for doing that on someone who, as far as the locals go (you know, the people who pay your salary by reading what you write when you AREN'T acting like a pouting 5-year-old) has way more credibility when it comes to football than you do. You may have the job of a journalist, but as far as journalistic integrity goes, Steph has more as part-time blogger than you do. You better hope she doesn't manage to get her own radio show or column in Houston, becuase your column's dismal readership will dwindle lower than it already is. Your lucky in one respect though.... since Steph is a well-paid and well-respected contract attorney in Houston, she won't go after your job since she'd probably have to take a significant pay cut.
Your one of the reasons the internet has benefitted sports fans more than anything else. At least now we have a choice in who and what to read and aren't forced to get our information from bad local sports writers.

Specnatz
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
It seems little dickie has gotten some heat because a lot of the comments were put back in. All but Stephs of course. Sorry about that. In the end Justice will not be able to live this down for az very long time, if ever.

Texans_Chick
08-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I've contacted the Chronicle Sports Editor by email to get RJ to stop impugning my reputation. I'm not sure if it will help.

I wake up this morning to find people emailing me about this blast (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html#comments):

I see a lot of references to this "Stephanie" person but I don't see any of her comments. Did they get lost in the mail along with Spec's invite? Come on, Ritchie...post her comments! Are you man enough to let us see the truth and decide for ourselves? Isn't that what they taught you at journalism school? I sure hope so because it's obvious by your replies they left logic off the curriculum!

[Dangit, I forgot that I posted them all, then deleted them. I can't even remember the final straw. Anyway, she has her own blog, so everything she writes is available. Just google her name and you'll find our blog. Oops, I mean her blog. Between her comments and emails, I ran out of patience. She seemed just a little too interested in me if you know what I mean and I think you do. Funny thing is I've never met her. I heard she was hanging around outside the Super Bowl media center a couple of years ago, but I slipped out the back way.--Richard]

I made four comments in two blog posts. He published three. The fourth one was an objection to his Fatal Attraction reference (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/08/only_an_optimis.html#comments). I haven't commented on his blog in eons other than those four comments.

I don't believe in publishing private emails, but I guess I at least should consider it given the wildly inappropriate and inaccurate impression he is leaving.

And I was credentialed to be at the Super Bowl media center. I was going to be a guest on a national radio program. It didn't end up happening because of technical problems but it was great hanging out at radio row waiting for those problems to be resolved because I got to see many NFL players, such as Joe Namath, Joe Montana. etc.

Sigh.

Specnatz
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
I am seriously getting pissed off that this SOB is allowd to do this. You would think someone would tell him not to do this that it will only end badly for him. It really is pathetic and disgusting how he is acting.

IlliniJen
08-30-2008, 01:11 PM
TC, I seriously hope that you get somewhere with the sports editor. Like Spec, I'm getting pissed about this too.

And Stemp, he posted your comments! Good job.

Corrosion
08-30-2008, 02:21 PM
I wish they would just replace Justice and McClain along with his boobz errr Anna Megan .... She doesnt make him anymore readable nor credable.

kcdoubleeagle
08-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I think the sig battle may be over............. for now! :thinking:

"Oh Mr. Young"..

Maddict5
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
http://i.tsn.com/i/s/voices/richard_justice.gif

you cant blame steph for 'stalking' dickie.. i mean what a looker. add that to his obviously great personality and can you spell CATCH :rolleyes:

unfortunately you're just going to have to take a number, wait and hope you get lucky like everybody else steph

El cabezon
08-31-2008, 02:00 AM
Growing old is mandatory, growing up.... as "some" of you know is optional.

Tedc
08-31-2008, 09:45 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/richard_justice.gif

I knew I had seen this man before but I couldn't place it.......

....until now!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/RJ.jpg

Whenever I am in a public restroom paying homage to Bud Adams, I see Richard Justice peering over the stall walls.

ObsiWan
08-31-2008, 10:42 AM

....until now!

Whenever I am in a public restroom paying homage to Bud Adams, I see Richard Justice peering over the stall walls.

could that be where he gets his "insight"??

False Start
08-31-2008, 11:24 AM
If I ever saw Richard Justice in person, I would fight him. :bat:

Showtime100
08-31-2008, 01:29 PM

....until now!

He looks like he could be Olive Oye's brother. that ungrateful whore

Brando
08-31-2008, 01:38 PM

He reminds of a turtle...seeing his picture and the way he retracts his comments...sort of like how a turtle retracts his head into his shell.

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2008, 08:31 PM

Did I mention that I just got photoshop? Here is my very first effort.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/popeyejusticecopy.jpg

Señor Stan
08-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Did I mention that I just got photoshop? Here is my very first effort.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/popeyejusticecopy.jpg

I just see a movie poster with Popeye, Olive and Sweet Pea.

What did you alter?

Señor Stan
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
He reminds of a turtle...seeing his picture and the way he retracts his comments...sort of like how a turtle retracts his head into his shell.

why am I thinking of the Seinfeld "shrinkage" episode...hmmmm....Dick Justice....makes sense.

Showtime100
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I just see a movie poster with Popeye, Olive and Sweet Pea.

What did you alter?

She redid the caption in the quote bubble. It used to say "that ungrateful whore" lol.

(Nice job GHF)

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2008, 08:56 PM

I ran across this picture while looking at nature photos.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/turtlecopy-1.jpg

Showtime100
08-31-2008, 08:59 PM
I ran across this picture while looking at nature photos.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/turtlecopy.jpg

GlassHalfFul, between you and DiapHer Heaven help us! :shades:

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2008, 09:01 PM
GlassHalfFul, between you and DiapHer Heaven help us! :shades:

At least I am not targeting MB members. YET

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2008, 09:02 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/1066661291_d31c9432ee.jpg?v=0

Texan Chick stalks me I must say .

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2008, 09:19 PM

I have been thinking that this is a case of transference on his part.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/facecopy.jpg

Tedc
09-01-2008, 06:14 AM
At least I am not targeting MB members. YET

Are you running for political office?

GlassHalfFull
09-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Are you running for political office?

I didn't count that little incident, since Diapher did the pics.

Tedc
09-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Hey guys, www.firedickjustice.com (http://www.firedickjustice.com) is still available?

Texan_Bill
09-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Dickie just needs a good old fashion beyotch slap in the back of his head... He needs to be smacked so hard that his hair line moves forward to his forehead again...

What a misogynistic little weasle....

Tedc
09-01-2008, 12:36 PM
What a misogynistic little weasle....

Could this be because of latent sexual deviancy?

Texan_Bill
09-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Could this be because of latent sexual deviancy?

Sexual frustration. He and Blazing Arrow both would feel better about themselves if they just "came out".

Tedc
09-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Sexual frustration. He and Blazing Arrow both would feel better about themselves if they just "came out".

If he just came out, he would realize that women LOVE gay men. He would not see them as a threat.

Texan_Bill
09-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Dickie is the greatest sports writer ever.........

Tedc
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Dickie is the greatest sports writer ever.........

Signed,

Anna Megan

Texan_Bill
09-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Signed,

Anna Megan

At least Anna-Megan has some assetts.....

False Start
09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Signed,

Anna Megan

Like Totally !! OMG LOLZ!!!!!! :cool:

Chicagotexan1
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/1066661291_d31c9432ee.jpg?v=0

That's not really hairspray. He used VY's "hair gel" alla Something About Mary.

False Start
09-01-2008, 03:05 PM
RJ at his favorite "secret" place to hang out.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/rjymca.jpg

Tedc
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Does he STILL have a job (other than VY)?

Texan_Bill
09-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Does he STILL have a job (other than VY)?

Come to think of it, I didn't hear him on 1560 this morning... :thinking:

ESAD2-14
09-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Wow, this thread is still ticking.

Glad to see I am not the only one, by a mile, that thinks Dickie-J is an a**-clown.

It's also good to see the Texans Talk community stick together, despite everyone's differences. I guess if everyone is gonna unite for something it might as well be the Texans!:texflag:

GlassHalfFull
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
His two headlines today are:

The blog Just how good is Mario Williams? Turnaround began with Roy O. (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/09/just_how_good_i.html)

and the column Justice: Given time, Sherman’s going to win (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/5978259.html)

And he is sort of reasonable in both of them. I decided that his editors assigned these topics as penance, or he is taking his meds again.

He tries (kinda) to compliment Mario, but he just can't quite make it. Damning with faint praise, is the phrase that comes to mind.

To criticize him for not creating constant havoc may be unfair. Even the greatest defensive ends have taken plays off. Reggie White didn't always have to be accounted for, but on third-and-eight, he could wreck your entire game plan. And your quarterback.

It cracks me up that Justice is surprised that Mario doesn't like talking to him. Hasn't Dickie read the stuff he has written about Mario?

He's a different kind of guy. He's a very reluctant interview. There are days when he makes it clear doing a five-minute session with reporters on Wednesday is the last thing in the world he'd like to be doing. Other days, he's fine.

IlliniJen
09-02-2008, 11:27 PM
It cracks me up that Justice is surprised that Mario doesn't like talking to him. Hasn't Dickie read the stuff he has written about Mario?

I guess we'll be treated to Dick's "a player/coach is only as good as their willingness to talk to me" measurement of talent with Mario. Second only to "is the player's name Vince Young, if not, then go the 'they suck' route in article."

It must be really simple to get a job on the chron's sports beat. Color within the lines, don't dribble on yourself when using a straw and have a few simple rules for analyzing the city's sports stars and teams and there you go! Success!

GlassHalfFull
12-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Some crow was eaten by Justice, at last. I guess better late than never?

Congratulations, Mario Williams: I never doubted you (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2008/12/congratulations_2.html)

I'm sure glad I was on the Mario Williams bandwagon from the start. Some of you preferred Vince or Reggie. Not me. I could see how good this guy was going to be. He's a game-changer.

So I'm going to be smiling from ear to ear this afternoon if, as expected, Mario is named to his first Pro Bowl. Andre Johnson should be getting a phone call as well, and Kris Brown, Chester Pitts, Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton and Kevin Walter are in the mix.

If things work out as planned, Dunta Robinson, Matt Schaub and Amobi Okoye could be getting the nod. Yes, indeed. Things have sure changed around our little football team. As JFK said, "Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." (He has been credited with originating the quote, but it apparently was first used in a 1942 journal entry by Count Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini's foreign minister. Raise your hand if McClain or McTaggart give you this kind of educational material.)

Anyway, Mario has had a terrific year. He's fifth in the AFC with 11 sacks and tied for third with four forced fumbles. Those aren't overwhelming numbers, but numbers don't tell the entire story.

He's fighting off two blockers regularly and teams are scheming away from him. If you watch the games, you can see that there's havoc wherever he is. The Texans are still figuring out how to generate a rush from other areas. Tim Bulman has had a solid season, and Richard Smith appears to have gotten somewhat more aggressive with his blitz calls in recent weeks.

Mario has a strained relationship with the media. He doesn't do many interviews, and sometimes lets it be known that he'd rather be anyplace else than talking to reporters.

I'm not sure why this is. Some of it could be the way things started in Houston with his every moved compared to Vince Young and Reggie Bush. As he gets older, it's likely he'll settle into a comfort zone with that part of his professinal life as well.

Professional athletes usually figure out that dealing with reporters is about the easiest parts of their jobs. Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, etc., could do seminars on how to shift coverage in your favor. It's not hard.

No matter how that turns out, there's no question Gary Kubiak--that's Gary Kubiak, not Charley Casserly, the JFK quote applies here, too--got it exactly right with taking Mario Williams over Reggie and Vince.

This should be a nice day for Mario. His team is hot, he's playing well and it's hard not to be excited about what's ahead for the Texans over the next couple of years.

jamil
12-17-2008, 10:48 AM
they need to get this guy off 1560.

double rods fellas.

GlassHalfFull
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
His column is actually pretty good. The previous post was his sarcastic blog.

Commentary: Williams opens up, quiets critics (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/6168641.html)

Mario Williams was funny, talkative and completely at ease. Being a Pro Bowl defensive end clearly agrees with him.

“I told you so,” he said at one point Tuesday afternoon.

He smiled.

“I’m just joking,” he added.

Those two sentences were about as close as he came to saying, well, I told you so.

He simply couldn’t find it within himself to be bitter or angry on one of the happiest days of his brief NFL career.

This was the day he was voted to his first Pro Bowl. Truth be told, he deserved the honor last season, but that’s not important now.

He’s a very, very good player, a borderline great player, the kind of player coaches can build a franchise around.

Yes, he’s everything the Texans hoped he would be when they made him the first pick of the 2006 draft.

Remember that day? It was one of the most bizarre, ugly days the franchise has had.

Fans at Reliant Stadium booed loudly at the announcement of his selection. He wore a stunned, almost sad expression when he walked into a news conference a few hours later.

What could he say or do? What must he have been thinking? He should have been on top of the world, and not just because he’d signed a $54-million contract.

All he’d done was play brilliantly and be a good citizen while at North Carolina State. He was one of those people others cheered for and genuinely liked.

“That’s life,” he said. “But you can’t satisfy everybody. If you’re going to go through the world saying, you know, ‘I hope they don’t boo me,’ or worry about what people are going to say, you’re not going to make it too far.”

He stepped into a situation in which he couldn’t win because a large number of Texans fans — and quite a few people in the media, including me — wanted Vince Young or Reggie Bush.

We saw the selection of Mario Williams as another stumble by a franchise that had made a bunch of them.

Sophomore surge

“I was just like, ‘Man, they never even gave this guy a chance to go out on the field and prove himself,’ ” said Texans receiver Andre Johnson, who was selected to his third Pro Bowl team.

I wasn’t just wrong about Williams. I was way wrong. Texans coach Gary Kubiak knew what he was doing, and on Tuesday, it was Kubiak who delivered the news that Williams would be joining Johnson in Hawaii.

BigBull17
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess we'll be treated to Dick's "a player/coach is only as good as their willingness to talk to me" measurement of talent with Mario. Second only to "is the player's name Vince Young, if not, then go the 'they suck' route in article."

It must be really simple to get a job on the chron's sports beat. Color within the lines, don't dribble on yourself when using a straw and have a few simple rules for analyzing the city's sports stars and teams and there you go! Success!

Why would he ever talk to a reporter not named Michael Smith? If I was him, I wouldnt. They killed him from day one, and then tried to give him no credit when he got better. Did Justice really mean he was "on his side" from day one? Really?