PDA

View Full Version : Running Game Improvement

Jackie Chiles
08-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Something we can take out of the preseason so far is that the running game seems to be improving with each week. I know the games don't count but I'm hoping this trend has some credibility because of the fact that its the first year with Gibbs and we can't really work on it during practice like we can during games. Some numbers:

(These are only taking into account runs by the backs, no QB or WR runs)
Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg

This is a fairly positive trend although its tough to take into account how many reps the 1st team was getting etc. but I think its good that the game last night, when the starters played the longest, was our best game. It really was night and day to watch from the first game to the third. Not sure how much just having Andre Johnson could have contributed to this and of course take everything with a grain of salt in the preseason but I feel better about our running game each week and I kind of wish we would have run it a little bit more often yesterday.

Maddict5
08-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Something we can take out of the preseason so far is that the running game seems to be improving with each week. I know the games don't count but I'm hoping this trend has some credibility because of the fact that its the first year with Gibbs and we can't really work on it during practice like we can during games. Some numbers:

(These are only taking into account runs by the backs, no QB or WR runs)
Game 1 29 attempts 85 yards 2.9 avg
Game 2 33 attempts 110 yards 3.3 avg
Game 3 26 attempts 112 yards 4.3 avg

This is a fairly positive trend although its tough to take into account how many reps the 1st team was getting etc. but I think its good that the game last night, when the starters played the longest, was our best game. It really was night and day to watch from the first game to the third. Not sure how much just having Andre Johnson could have contributed to this and of course take everything with a grain of salt in the preseason but I feel better about our running game each week and I kind of wish we would have run it a little bit more often yesterday.

good point and i agree totally.. cut blocking is something that requires practice. hopefully we should only continue to improvealthough it should get incrementally smaller from here on out

76Texan
08-23-2008, 05:57 PM
We won't count Boyd or Brinks.
But Kubiak said Rosenfels' TD run was a designed QB draw play.

Arky
08-23-2008, 07:15 PM
We won't count Boyd or Brinks.
But Kubiak said Rosenfels' TD run was a designed QB draw play.

That Rosenfels run made me lol - Rosenfels flashin' the speed. Very clever call...

76Texan
08-23-2008, 07:17 PM
That Rosenfels run made me lol - Rosenfels flashin' the speed. Very clever call...

He flies better than Bush, LOL LOL!

HJam72
08-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Isn't Slaton getting more carries each week?

gary
08-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Lol!

76Texan
08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Isn't Slaton getting more carries each week?
11, 13, 10

But that doesn't matter. We'll see what happens in the regular season.

gary
08-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Isn't Slaton getting more carries each week?Yes I think so.

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Everybody's learning a relatively new system. Some of the people have some experience with something similar and it's similar to what we were running except pure now. So it's going to take some time for everything to... you know I hate to say it but I have to... gel.

It's not surprising to me that we're improving but it did surprise me how much better we looked against the Boys. Remember how bad the 1's looked the first two games; I expected the Cowboy defense to shut us down and I was very, very pleasantly surprised.

wolf123
08-23-2008, 11:39 PM
The run game will only get better with practice and it looks like were going to need with our defense looking suspect.

Norg
08-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Green will be the starter for week 1

But green will get hurt this season thats about 95% true at this point

ObsiWan
08-24-2008, 12:01 AM
11, 13, 10

But that doesn't matter. We'll see what happens in the regular season.

I would think that Slaton should get between 10-15 touches/game during the season. Taylor and Walker will get most of the load.

oh and whichever guy between Green and Brown that makes the final 53.

JCTexan
08-24-2008, 12:13 AM
I would think that Slaton should get between 10-15 touches/game during the season. Taylor and Walker will get most of the load.

oh and whichever guy between Green and Brown that makes the final 53.

I think Taylor might get more playing time than Slaton, but I don't believe Walker will if Taylor does. I would imagine Slaton being the #2 RB to start the season behind Taylor, Brown or Green (if they can stay healthy).

ObsiWan
08-24-2008, 12:16 AM
I think Taylor might get more playing time than Slaton, but I don't believe Walker will if Taylor does. I would imagine Slaton being the #2 RB to start the season behind Taylor, Brown or Green (if they can stay healthy).

Agreed.
First we punish them with Taylor and Brown (if healthy). Then bring the speed in with Slaton.

Jackie Chiles
08-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Its also worth noting how extremely young/inexperienced our line is, especially without Pitts. Brown is a rook, Studdard is in his 2nd year with very little real playing time, Myers is only in his second season as a starter, Mike Brisiel had a few starts last year and Winston is going into his third year. Its going to be nice to get Pitts back because he has more experience on his own than probably all the starters and back-ups not named Salaam combined.

There will be growing pains in the run and pass game but I could see this line being very reliable if they can stick together for a while. Gotta especially feel good about the future of our tackles.

Webbster
08-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Green will be the starter for week 1

But green will get hurt this season thats about 95% true at this point

Green also needs to be a finisher:sarcasm:

gary
08-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I say Green gets hurt in the first game.

Thorn
08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
If they keep Green, which I hope they don't, my money says no more than two games started with a total of four games in which he makes an appearance.

gary
08-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Now that's tough right there.