PDA

View Full Version : Someone talk me off the ledge

dalemurphy
08-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm very worried about Omobi Okoye. I know that it's a position that takes time to master. However, I've been appalled at how consistantly he's been manhandled which is a real problem considering everyone on the DL other than Mario and Kalu are consistantly washed out of the play.

By the way, imagine how bad this team would be if we didn't have Mario and Schaub and had Vince at Qb... WOW!!!

Vinny
08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
well, I'll take a moment to quote myself (this is the message board variant of mumbling to one's self). We are very soft in the middle and it ain't DeMeco's fault.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2008, 01:04 AM
well, I'll take a moment to quote myself (this is the message board variant of mumbling to one's self). We are very soft in the middle and it ain't DeMeco's fault.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

TJ and Okoye are the same player or close enough . They are a bit over six feet and weigh 300 or so . Heck every DT except for Okam is in that range . That does'nt look to good against power running teams .

Vinny
08-23-2008, 01:06 AM
TJ and Okoye are the same player or close enough . They are a bit over six feet and weigh 300 or so . Heck every DT except for Okam is in that range . That does'nt look to good against power running teams .imo lining those two up side-by-side with Weaver on the edge may be the worst 3/4ths of a starting DL in the NFL. Match this up with the worst secondary in the NFL and one may come to the conclusion that this defense still has huge issues.

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2008, 01:08 AM
imo lining those two up side-by-side with Weaver on the edge may be the worst 3/4ths of a starting DL in the NFL.

Yep ... and Mario to his credit makes it average . Mario needs Gilbert Brown , Santana Dotson , and Sean Jones .

dalemurphy
08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
imo lining those two up side-by-side with Weaver on the edge may be the worst 3/4ths of a starting DL in the NFL. Match this up with the worst secondary in the NFL and one may come to the conclusion that this defense still has huge issues.

I just don't think that Bennett and Fletcher, the way he's looked, would be anywhere near the worst set of CBs in the league. Also, Molden and Robinson could turn it into a strength by midseason. However, that entire DL minus Mario and Kalu look absolutely awful... Hopefully, it was just a bad night. I've certainly seen better performances from TJ, Okoye, Cochran in the past year.

dalemurphy
08-23-2008, 01:13 AM
imo lining those two up side-by-side with Weaver on the edge may be the worst 3/4ths of a starting DL in the NFL. Match this up with the worst secondary in the NFL and one may come to the conclusion that this defense still has huge issues.

How many times did Weaver or his replacement at DE get washed into the line and totally lose contain for a big gain off the edge. It was downright ridiculous. However, it happened with such ease, I think it may have been schematic... Either way, it ain't good!

Texans_Chick
08-23-2008, 01:16 AM
TJ and Okoye are the same player or close enough . They are a bit over six feet and weigh 300 or so . Heck every DT except for Okam is in that range . That does'nt look to good against power running teams .

Hey, but they do real good in the heat of training camp against tackling dummies.

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Hey, but they do real good in the heat of training camp against tackling dummies.

Those dummies are ninja dummies made of genuine Saskatchewan seal leather .

New_Texans
08-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Amobi wasn't that bad...really. He made a few plays in the game. Johnson however...Okam needs to take his place.

gg no re
08-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Amobi's only 19 or 20 or something. I think we can give him a pass for three more years?

dalemurphy
08-23-2008, 04:34 AM
Amobi's only 19 or 20 or something. I think we can give him a pass for three more years?

Is that sarcastic?

Umm, particularly in the light of the play of the rest of the DL, it's important that we get more out of Okoye now.

Ole Miss Texan
08-23-2008, 05:06 AM
jump... now. i havn't heard a good arguement to keep ya from jumping, i'm right behind you! just kidding.

These people I was watching the game with tonight still tried to say the Mario pick was a bad one. I was like... what!? how.. why!? I seriously just don't understand how anyone can make any sort of sound arguement of who would be better to pick #1 than Mario.

All do respect to the other chumps we've got on the D... but Mario and Demeco are completely incredibly fantastically amazing football players.

beerlover
08-23-2008, 05:24 AM
I'm probably going to envite everyone to go ahead & jump off the ledge........after I watch the game :shades:

guess those with short memories don't remember those past glory years the Texans enjoyed along with the hometown faithfull fans, yeah right. this team is eons better than those but it takes time, its a process. watch the cuts see the movement around the league its ongoing with hardley any offseason.

The Texans had those cowpokes, 2nd & 3rd teamers granted down their on the goaline after Sage punched it in, they quickly executed a pass that was for the win not a field goal for the tie, while I haven't seen the play yet I like the fact they put the game in Jacobys hands, that shows loyalty, perseverance & confidence in not just one player but the team in general which bodes well for future success. remember its only pre-season :texflag:

ps. Ole Miss Texan, liked your post I used the finish for my sig. thanks!

leebigeztx
08-23-2008, 10:34 AM
When I think of D-line play, I like to have 2 rushers and 2 run stuffers. That combo can work a couple of ways . U can have the 2 big 2 gaping tackles like Baltimore with ngata and gregg or u can do the de/dt combo like Sapp and rice. Looking at the texans, Mario should have a big guy like Okam in between Okoye. That way the line can't slide and basically Okam can take on the center and guard to allow Mario to 1 on 1 against the tackle and Okoye can do the same against the guard. I know its asking a lot, but that's what they need to happen.

Number19
08-23-2008, 12:44 PM
The comments on this thread are interesting, but a little confusing, because I still haven't gotten any analysis of my suggestion for moving Okoye to the outside. Not to say that this would work out, but not to even consider this option? I've looked at the ranking for DE's, and Okoye is physically close to such players as Will Smith, Darnell Dockett and Charles Grant. If he has the quickness and feet then his 300 lbs could be a positive on the outside. He's still young, and given another year or two, he might could drop 10 lbs and get down to about 290.

J-Russ
08-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Amobi wasn't that bad...really. He made a few plays in the game. Johnson however...Okam needs to take his place.

Marcus Tubbs was released by the Seahawks acouple of weeks ago. If Okam isn't good enough/ready for the job then maybe we can pick up another ex-Longhorns to fill the NT spot. If he's healthy that is.

Texan JBZ
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm very worried about Omobi Okoye. I know that it's a position that takes time to master. However, I've been appalled at how consistantly he's been manhandled which is a real problem considering everyone on the DL other than Mario and Kalu are consistantly washed out of the play.

Amen to that bruhther. I don't know what is wrong with Amobi right now. Mario really covers up for him against the run (man, is Mario solid against the run, or what!). This is the third game in a row that he's been just mashed by the guy across from him.

Number19
08-23-2008, 01:22 PM
Amen to that bruhther. I don't know what is wrong with Amobi right now. Mario really covers up for him against the run (man, is Mario solid against the run, or what!). This is the third game in a row that he's been just mashed by the guy across from him.Perhaps you could analyze the physical traits of the DT's and NT's he's been going up against. Okoye is 300 lbs. If his opposition is in the 320 to 330 range, this is quite a mismatch, which is why I started considering moving him outside in the first place. The 49er's are moving 6'-2", 325 lb Isaac Sopoaga to the outside, in a similar move, because they think that he has the quickness and skills to create a mismatch outside in their favor.

WesmanTexanfan
08-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Someone talk me off the ledge

nah, just jump....