PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like the Name Texans?

GuerillaBlack
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

For me, I luvs it. :fans:

The Pencil Neck
08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I like it.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Today, some Cowboy fans who keep saying the Texans have the worst name in the league. They call it "a high school team name". What do you think about the name?

Was there not a former Dallas team named the Texans? Seems like a weak arguement that you should easily win, GuerillaBlack.

These days, whenever I hear the name Cowboys, the first thing that pops in my noodle is the homo cowboy movie (not that there's anything wrong with the TB's of the World). The Brokeback Cowboy or something like that.

The Cownads can flaunt their SB's and scoreboard, but IMO, there's no way they can degrade the Texans name.

:texflag:

gwallaia
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
Well since some Dallas fans say its no good, we should probably have it changed.

HoustonFrog
08-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I like it but am not a fan of the helmet if you want my honest opinion. I mean those guys should learn that there was a Texans before.

nero THE zero
08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't mind it but I would rather they had gone with the 'Apollos.' Would have fallen in line with the space themed teams in Houston.

hobie
08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Well Houston is about to get a 2nd light rail line, making us one of the few cities that have a few, so maybe the Houston Literails...and the logo could be some tracks going across the helmet...

:thinking: , on second thought, nevermind ..

Ole Miss Texan
08-21-2008, 02:19 PM
I like the name... although I'm not a HUGE fan of it.. I like it.

I love the uniforms though.. especially the logo and helmet. They're my favorite in the league.:texans:

Wolf
08-21-2008, 02:21 PM
I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

And when they named the Texans as a team, I was ecstatic because (I know silly) but with the way Bob McNair runs this organization and with the classy individuals on the team and in managment makes me proud of them representing Texas...

I don't know what I would think if the Texans organization was switched with the Bengals... It would be a hard pill to swallow knowing your organization has a bunch of players that are getting arrested and such (and yes I was embarrassed of the Cowboys back then with all there arrests )

ok off of my soap box

El Tejano
08-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Anyone can say they are a Cowboy even if they live in Missouri, Denver, Arizona, Florida, Alabama,Nevada etc....

But only those of us who , under the Grace of God, were born or live in this state can say they are Texans!!!!!

Khari
08-21-2008, 02:32 PM
i like the name and we're keeping it.......so there

Tailgate
08-21-2008, 02:40 PM

I would think you would see the Cowboys name being used at the high school level before you would ever see the Texans being used.

KEYE SUX
08-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I think those cowgirl fans are just jealous. We in the great state of TEXAS are very proud to live in this state. This is why you see Texas Edition vehicles and so forth. Now as a high school name, I can think of more high schools being Cowboys than Texans.

Wolf
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Texans name can only be used in Texas

Cowboys. well Oklahoma State and Wyoming took the liking to the name also

nunusguy
08-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I never liked it and don't to this day, but I'm used to it by now. But the name has absolutely no meaning and it's void of any imagination and was obviously chosen for purely commercial reasons.
Shame on you Mr. McNair, are you that insecure about being a Houstonian ?

WWJD
08-21-2008, 02:53 PM
It's ok. I preferred the Apollos myself.

I have always thought the Saints had the best unis, best helmets, best name of NFL teams.

Texan_Bill
08-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Was there not a former Dallas team named the Texans? Seems like a weak arguement that you should easily win, GuerillaBlack.

These days, whenever I hear the name Cowboys, the first thing that pops in my noodle is the homo cowboy movie (not that there's anything wrong with the TB's of the World). The Brokeback Cowboy or something like that.

The Cownads can flaunt their SB's and scoreboard, but IMO, there's no way they can degrade the Texans name.

The Dallas Texans weren't the only professional team named Texans before this current franchise.. The Houston Texans / Shreveport cleveland Steamers....

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/23/1287/full/5817.gif

Point is, its been used before in both Dallas and Houston.

As far as your man-crushes for Heath Ledger and that other dude, maybe you and Hobie could re-enact some of your favorite scenes. While I on the other hand take pride in knowing that to this day I still haven't seen it... Although we all witnessed the sequel (Bronx Back Mound) play out between Clemens and Pettite...

jaayteetx
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
I thought it was kinda unimaginative when they came out with the name, but I've grown used to it I suppose.

Scooter
08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
i think the name, logo, and colors couldnt be better.

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Let me share a little story,

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

I never liked it and don't to this day, but I'm used to it by now. But the name has absolutely no meaning and it's void of any imagination and was obviously chosen for purely commercial reasons.
Shame on you Mr. McNair, are you that insecure about being a Houstonian ?

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Pittsburgh Pennsylvanians ?
Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

maybe it doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me.

TexanSam
08-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I like it. I would have preferred Apollos or maybe Wildcatters but Texans isn't bad.

Seņor Stan
08-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I like it. I would have preferred Apollos or maybe Wildcatters but Texans isn't bad.

Whenever I see the name Apollo I can't help but think of a Mexican Chicken...:chicken:

Mailman
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't mind it but I would rather they had gone with the 'Apollos.' Would have fallen in line with the space themed teams in Houston.

+1

I was in favor of Apollos over Texans.

Wolf
08-21-2008, 03:18 PM

I was living in Oregon when Houston got a new team. I'm born and raised in Texas and had been living in Oregon for about a year. I absolutely loved it there, one of the most beautiful places on earth. But I couldn't get past the fact that it wasn't my home. When I came home to visit I went to a souvenier shop and bought one of those little 2" x 3" Texas flags and when I got back to Oregon I put it on my car. I was proud to be from Texas. I loved Oregon but I wasn't from there. I was from Texas. I would often meet people who would ask me about the sticker. They'd say things like "isn't that the Texas flag on your car?" or "I've never seen anyone with a flag of their state on their car."

You could travel all over this country and not find a single other state that is as recognized by it's "statehood" than Texas. New York is defined by it's metropolis New York City. California by L.A. and California girls, Floriday by, well, kind of by it's "limp" shape and Disneyworld, beaches etc.

More people recognize the state flag and the actual shape of this state than any other. Hands down.

To be Texan absolutely means something. It means something more than being from any other state in the nation. I would go so far as to say it is in fact the only state that could be recognized as being defined by it's existance as much as anything. Not by a major city or cities in our case, but by the state it self.

Being a "Texan" meant something to me, especially when I was living in another state. When our new name was selected I couldn't have been happier... the apallos? seriously, Toro's? is this area football?

I challenge you to consider what it would be like for the other teams in the leauge. There is only one team that makes sense:

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

this is why I like this video so much

and NO I don't rick roll)

I assume this is the Texans PR department hard at work

Houston Texans -- This is Football Country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUmaDoNWik&feature=related

Specnatz
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

Damn Straight!!

Wolf
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
yes, I am biased, but I can't imagine another way to make the video with another name.. I know it can be done, but my pee brain can't think of one

texanpride (heck tried to do the texan flag smiley)

Toro59
08-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I didn't like it at first but like most others, it grew on me. I don't understand where the bull come from. I like the bull mascot but I don't see where it came from being we are the Texans.

Texans_Chick
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
With a hat tip to Mr. Lovett:

You say you're not from Texas
Man as if I couldn't tell
You think you pull your boots on right
And wear your hat so well

So pardon me my laughter
'Cause I sure do understand
Even Moses got excited
When he saw the promised land

That's right you're not from Texas
But Texas wants you anyway

See I was born and raised in Texas
And it means so much to me
Though my girl comes from down in Georgia
We were up in Tennessee

And as we were driving down the highway
She asked me baby what's so great
How come you're always going on
About your Lone Star State

I said that's right you're not from Texas

Oh the road it looked so lovely
As she stood there on the side
And she grew smaller in my mirror
As I watched her wave goodbye

Those boys from Carolina
They sure enough could sing
But when they came on down to Texas
We all showed them how to swing

Now David's on the radio
And old Champ's still on the guitar
And Uncle Walt he's home with Heidi
Hiding in her loving arms

They're OK in Oklahoma
Up in Arkansas they're fair
But those old folks in Missouri
They don't even know you're there

But at a dance hall down in Texas
That's the finest place to be
The women they all look beautiful
And their men will buy your beer for free

And they'll say that's right you're not from Texas

So won't you let me help you Mister
Just pull your hat down the way I do
And buy your pants just a little longer
And next time somebody laughs at you

You just tell 'em you're not from Texas

If a Cowboy fan thinks the name Texans is dumb, well then, they are likely a self-loathing, wanna be New Yorker from Dallas.

And besides, where does a Cowboy fan get off trying to poke fun at another team's name:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u4CXlIYjyE

Personally, I love the Texans name.

Scooter
08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
edit

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
it's hard for me to fathom how anyone who is actually from Texas could think any of the other options were a better name? It's perfect.

Hervoyel
08-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm not particularly fond of it. The logo and colors rock but the name is pretty unimaginative. I would have preferred to have been able to keep the name Oilers with possibly some updated colors and/or logo but since that wasn't an option I can live with what we have.

Fans a team that goes by "Cowboys" don't really have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing other teams names.

Oh and I'm a native Houstonian. Being proud of Texas has nothing to do with the name of our football team. You aren't any less "patriotic" about the state if you don't like the name "Texans". You just wanted something else. In my case I wanted the name not to change.

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:38 PM
early on alot of teams went for very traditional names in both baseball and football. Lions, Tigers, Bears (oh my). And then teams started to use regional names like Cowboys, Astros, etc. I'd say that Texans is just as regional as Cowboy as far as them both representing Texas in a sense but my god, if rooting for a Texan isn't more relevant in Texas, I don't know what is.

Texan_Bill
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/photos/photo_large/75/93275-27.jpg

Hobie, try to keep your lusting in check - please.. .

Double Barrel
08-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I liked the Houston Toros. Same logo/colors, but with a nod to our obvious Mexican influence and heritage.

But I'm fine with the Texans. Like mentioned above, you can say you are Texan in just about any part of the world, and they immediately know what that means.

I just want the name to be associated with a winning team. :cool:

HoustonFrog
08-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the helmet is a little USFL like or cartoonish?It is the one thing I don't like. I mean I'd rather have "Texans" old school Bengals style across the helmet or something else.

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Oh and I'm a native Houstonian. Being proud of Texas has nothing to do with the name of our football team. You aren't any less "patriotic" about the state if you don't like the name "Texans". You just wanted something else. In my case I wanted the name not to change.

I'm not from Houston, I'm from Vinceland Texas and to be able to root for a team that represents Texas as opposed to Vince Young(UT) or America and $$$$(Dallas) is pretty cool. I can totally respect wanting to retain the identity of the Oilers. But since they went with the clean slate thing, I think Texans is pretty neat.

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the helmet is a little USFL like or cartoonish?It is the one thing I don't like. I mean I'd rather have "Texans" old school Bengals style across the helmet or something else.

no, you're not alone. i agree. abit smaller logo would help too. but I could get into something simple as well. hell, even the state flag would have been awesome.

can somebody make my dream come true in photoshop? White helmet with the Texas flag on it?

Texan_Bill
08-21-2008, 03:45 PM
I might could get with "Houston Bud Haters", but that would never fly..

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:47 PM
alot of people love bud. Cook for example, seems quite fond of it.

Silver Oak
08-21-2008, 03:50 PM
gawd I'm glad the regular season is around the corner and these threads can die away until next off season.

:texflag: :d:

Wolf
08-21-2008, 03:51 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/jackals_incarnation/rimshot.gif

kiwitexansfan
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not a Texan obviously. The name means very little to me on an emotional level, but nor would Apollos, Toros, Pussycats or nancyboys.

A name is a name is a name.

I do however love the logo, and am a big fan of the battle red uniform.

All you Texans be proud of the name and your state.

HJam72
08-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I liked Houston Hurricanes, but that was thrown out pretty early.

Houston Torros, which I thought was going to win out, was OK.

I really didn't like anything else, including Texans, which just sounds like an address to me. Houston(,) Texa(n)s.

The uniforms are great, though, IMHO. I have one relative who first saw the logo on the helmets and responded with, "What is that supposed to be, anyway?" and one who can't stand the "too much" red "stockings." I never would've been bothered by those things, otherwise.

thunderkyss
08-21-2008, 03:54 PM
It's ok. I preferred the Apollos myself.

I have always thought the Saints had the best unis, best helmets, best name of NFL teams.

I feel the same way about the Saints....

BUt the Apollos?? the Houston Apollos?? I can just imagine the bad Rocky jokes.

I wanted to name the team the Hurricanes.... but then I thought that really sounds highschoolish..... Same with any other name that's been suggested so far.

Right now, I can't imagine another name that is more appropriate.

Besides, walking through Dallas, how many Cowboys do you see??

Now, walking through Houston, how many Texans do you see??

ArlingtonTexan
08-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm not particularly fond of it. The logo and colors rock but the name is pretty unimaginative. I would have preferred to have been able to keep the name Oilers with possibly some updated colors and/or logo but since that wasn't an option I can live with what we have.

Fans a team that goes by "Cowboys" don't really have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to criticizing other teams names.

This preety close my feelings. I would add that the nickname "Texans" had been done by Dallas. Still with so many team sports and universities, not sure how "unique" one can get at that level.

barrett
08-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm not a Texan obviously. The name means very little to me on an emotional level, but nor would Apollos, Toros, Pussycats or nancyboys.

A name is a name is a name.

I do however love the logo, and am a big fan of the battle red uniform.

All you Texans be proud of the name and your state.

HMmmmmmm,

Houston Nancyboys... That has kind of a nice ring to it.

HJam72
08-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't like the Cowboys at all, but I've always thought their name and uniforms were very appropriate. It's not about having cowboys in Dallas; it's about how many used to be in Texas. Maybe I just feel that way because I was a Cowboys fan as a kid, 'till I got sick of hearing how "sucky" Houston's team was and then they finally starting winning some to give me something to root for. I saw some of the Earl Campbell days, but I was too young to really care and my NFL fandom pretty much started right after that. First time I remember seeing a game that I really cared about was when the Cowboys blew it and lost to the 49ers in '81; 49ers beat the Bengals in the Superbowl.

I respected the Earl Campbell days a lot more than I remember them, especially now that I know what the referees pulled and that the 70s Steelers were a bunch of steroid abusers.

Texan_Bill
08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

LMAO!!!

I kinda meant the one that wears an opposum on his head rather than going to the old comb over....

KEYE SUX
08-21-2008, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Toro59;978336]I don't understand where the bull come from. QUOTE]

We need some kind of Mascot. We couldn't have 6 flags be or mascot so they chose something that can represent Texas (ranching) but still have an edge...a raging bull

Wolf
08-21-2008, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=Toro59;978336]I don't understand where the bull come from. QUOTE]

We need some kind of Mascot. We couldn't have 6 flags be or mascot so they chose something that can represent Texas (ranching) but still have an edge...a raging bull

We'd have a mascot(no not a rick roll)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2yt6wOoK0

barrett
08-21-2008, 04:25 PM
and there you have it!

the houston nancyboys with their mascot, "mr. six"!!!!!!

KEYE SUX
08-21-2008, 04:29 PM
That's how I will be dancing after we stomp the cowpokes tomorrow

Tedc
08-21-2008, 04:36 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/texanshirt3.jpg

Texan Asylum
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
I love the name and logo... :texflag:

Besides, the Houston Harris Countians just don't have the same ring to it. :tomato:

hadaad
08-21-2008, 04:39 PM
I like the name "Texans". I think it's a good idea to use names from out of the league's history.

Just not "Triangles".

Texecutioner
08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

I was raised to be very proud of my state and probably more so than saying I am an American.. American is given, but I was raise where you weren't just American, but a Texan..

And when they named the Texans as a team, I was ecstatic because (I know silly) but with the way Bob McNair runs this organization and with the classy individuals on the team and in managment makes me proud of them representing Texas...

I don't know what I would think if the Texans organization was switched with the Bengals... It would be a hard pill to swallow knowing your organization has a bunch of players that are getting arrested and such (and yes I was embarrassed of the Cowboys back then with all there arrests )

ok off of my soap box

Great post Wolf! Outsiders will never understand what it's like to be a native TEXAN! We have more pride in our home state than anyone in the country. :goodpost:

prostock101
08-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Texans is fine. I would also be ok with the Houston Moo Cows!

GooooooooooooooooooooooooMOOOOCOOOWWWWWWSSSSSS!!!! !!!!!!

Qman
08-21-2008, 04:58 PM
I like the Texans logo and name. I think most Cowboy Fans are just jealous they didn't think of it first.

Sideline
08-21-2008, 05:14 PM

I love it, unique and more importantly ours! I know I am slightly disjointed being in England and all but having the name of the team Texans, it does make me feel like I have a strong tie to the state of Texas, inside I feel like a Texan, and when asked who my team is I do feel proud to say ImaTexan!

Thorn
08-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I can't remember the names on the final list when they were trying to deciede the name for the team, but I remember I didn't much care for any of the names, including the Texans.

But it's what they are, and I like it now. Couldn't think of them being anything else.

barrett
08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
I like the Texans logo and name. I think most Cowboy Fans are just jealous they didn't think of it first.

well, kinda, they did. sorta.

ObsiWan
08-21-2008, 05:20 PM

I'm with you 1000% on that. This would make a great SAT question; "Alright class, which of these team names don't belong with the others...."

1. Astros
2. Comets
3. Rockets
4. Aeros
5. Texans

At least Oilers and Dynamo are energy related.
There are two things Houston is best known for, the Space biz and energy production (not necessarily in that order) and McNair goes with "Texans".

Oh well, whut's done is done....

Sideline
08-21-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm with you 1000% on that. This would make a great SAT question; "Alright class, which of these team names don't belong with the others...."

1. Astros
2. Comets
3. Rockets
4. Aeros
5. Texans

At least Oilers and Dynamo are energy related.
There are two things Houston is best known for, the Space biz and energy production (not necessarily in that order) and McNair goes with "Texans".

Oh well, whut's done is done....

Got to agree It would of made sense yeah, however Houston is also known for being in Texas and being full of Texans..lol

sbalderrama
08-21-2008, 05:30 PM
If we really wanted a Dallas rivalry we shoulda been the Houston Earps. :D

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PE/456783~Tombstone-Posters.jpg

76Texan
08-21-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm 76Texan. Do I need to clarify my intention? :splits:

powerfuldragon
08-21-2008, 05:38 PM
It's a good name.

/debate

texanfreak
08-21-2008, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=KEYE SUX;978281]I think those cowgirl fans are just jealous.

yeah, I went to cowboyszone.com and one guy said their the only texans in texas.

ATXtexanfan
08-21-2008, 06:16 PM
APOLLOS? no way

euro-Texan
08-21-2008, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Wolf;978259]I may be old school and it was the way I was raised before the "locust" invasion of the rest of the country moving into Texas..(not saying they are bad people, but the attitude in some of the places seem to have changed)

AMEN!

euro-Texan
08-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Got to agree It would of made sense yeah, however Houston is also known for being in Texas and being full of Texans..lol

Maybe you should visit San Jacinto????

LonerATO
08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Wildcatters would have been the best

A Texan
08-21-2008, 07:06 PM
You can look at my screen name and tell what side I'm on. I think one reason McNair reccommended Texans was because being originally from out of the state, he knew what a mystique it had for people in other states. I worked for several months in Michigan and they had a whole chain of restaurants there called "The Texan Family Restaurant" and a lot of the other restaurants had a Texas or Texan sandwich. I didn't like Apollos at all.

Speedy
08-21-2008, 07:18 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

Great post!!!

And don't forget, Texas is the only state that was it's own country. Sometimes I wish it still was.

I didn't like any of the final 5 names. I think they were Bobcats, Apollos, Wildcatters, Texans, and I don't remember the last one, but I know I didn't like any of them.

I think I remember the Chronicle having a name contest or something. It wasn't to name the team but to get a feel or something. I remember throwing around Houston Tornadoes, were we'd have Tornado touchdowns. Probably a good thing I don't own the team.

Like a few others mentioned, I thought the name Texans was very unimaginative. But when they made the announcement downtown, and revealed the logo, and McNair gave his speech about why he went with Texans, what it meant to be a Texan, what the colors stood for, I thought, yeah, that makes sense.

As we got closer and closer to putting a team on the field, the name grew on me. 8 years later, I'm glad it's the Texans.

TexanSam
08-21-2008, 07:20 PM
I didn't like any of the final 5 names. I think they were Bobcats, Apollos, Wildcatters, Texans, and I don't remember the last one, but I know I didn't like any of them.

I think the last one was Stallions.

Speedy
08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I think the last one was Stallions.

That was it! Stallions. Thanks TS.

GuerillaBlack
08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
It was Roustabouts right? I remember that one and was like "WTF"?

CTWade
08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Of course someone from Dallas couldn't relate to the name Texans... it has to do with Texas after all.

Anyway, I'm guess I'm okay with the name. It has a history in pro sports, which is nice, and is a testament to our states ridiculously strong culture identity. But I rather have something space or oil related... I don't think Apollos would have worked, though. Too strongly related to Greek mythology. Houston Flares, Houston Roughnecks, maybe? I dunno.

I really wish we could have used Oilers and luv ya blue, though. Alas.

YellerLotYeller
08-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Great name.....very classic feel to it. The other suggestions back in "01 sounded like arena league crap.

Texan Asylum
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Great name.....very classic feel to it. The other suggestions back in "01 sounded like arena league crap.

My thoughts as well...:fans:

jb66er
08-21-2008, 09:37 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

AMEN!! :texflag:

Grams
08-21-2008, 09:52 PM

I am not originally from Texas, but have been here for over 20 years and I love Texans.
I love the colors and I love the logo.

Apollos??? With a squatty little space ship as the logo? No way. Sounds like a junior high school team.

Giant Tiger
08-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I think it's great! I really like the logo, too :cool:

TexanSam
08-21-2008, 10:32 PM
Apollos??? With a squatty little space ship as the logo? No way. Sounds like a junior high school team.

I'm pretty sure every nickname in any sport probably sounds like a junior high team.

Ravens. Lions. Rockets. Raptors. Bears.

That said, I like ours. Not my favorite, but it doesn't really matter anyway. I care more about the team than I do the name.

TexansLucky13
08-21-2008, 11:00 PM
I'm a Texan!

atxlaurie
08-21-2008, 11:37 PM
When I was a kid, we used to have GO TEXAN DAY at school in the Spring during Texas Independence usually celebrated on March 2nd. It was all about State pride. Don't know if the schools still celebrate it, but I always felt a little extra special that day and knew my state was special too.

I love the name! And if cowgirl fans hate it, that makes it even better!

GO TEXANS!

76Texan
08-21-2008, 11:40 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

Yoo Hoo! :fans:

barrett
08-22-2008, 12:47 AM
I was thinking, even though we have all these big cities in Texas we're still defined more by our statehood than the cities that make it up.

I just looked it up. Texas has 3 of the top 10 biggest cities in the country and 5 in the top 20 if you consider Fort Worth!

California has 4.

What's crazy to me is that despite all those big cities, people that are from outside of Texas still think of us as "Texans" as a whole more so that Houstonians, Dallas(ians?), San Antonians, Austinites, etc. I don't even know what Dallas residents are called! and it's the 9th largest city in the U.S.!

Outside of Texas, people will know the cities that we're talking about but they personify Texans as something specific.

Really is quite amazing.

Also, I can't help but think that "Texans" sounds like something that's not a flash in the pan kind of WNFLX or whatever kind of name. I mean, Texans have been around for a while.

YellerLotYeller
08-22-2008, 12:53 AM
I don't even know what Dallas residents are called! and it's the 9th largest city in the U.S.!

Doosh Bags...

sbalderrama
08-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Outside of Texas, people will know the cities that we're talking about but they personify Texans as something specific.

Seriously. My wife and I moved down to Houston from Colorado a couple of years ago, same time as Kubiak actually. Until we really visited the hill country and gulf coast, for all I knew all of Texas looked like El Paso. I think thats what most people in the rest of the country tend to think.

Thats one area where it might have been nice to have a less generic name then "Texans" to help "market" Houston somehow. Unfortunately all the name you'd want to use to describe the interesting things about Houston arn't exactly tough football names, and the space theme has been overdone. Houston Bayou? Houston Pine Oaks? Houston Humidity? Houston (traffic) Jam? Houston Flood? Houston Foodies? Houston Green?

Wait... coulda gone with a name that strikes fear in the hearts of everyone.... Houston Roaches. :D

keyser
08-22-2008, 01:24 AM
OK, this is going to come across as harsh, so I need to first verify that yes, I am a Texans fan (more than a Cowboys fan), and have been for the last couple of years.

When the Texans' name was picked, I was a Cowboys fan. I hated the name, mainly because I thought it was presumptuous. Like others have said, the name "Texans" means something, and I found it annoying that an upstart team with no history was trying to claim some sort of representation of the whole state, especially given the fact that there was already a highly successful team with strong support across the entire state. Just like lots of people get annoyed at the Cowboys being called "America's team", when they don't really represent most of America, I was annoyed at the Houston team calling itself the "Texans" when they didn't represent most of Texas. And, I know that the name doesn't mean they claim to represent all Texans (nor was it the first team in Texas with the name), but it really rubbed me wrong.

The name has grown on me, but overall, I still think they would have been better off to choose a different name - something that represented the city, or something more general.

keyser
08-22-2008, 01:32 AM
What's crazy to me is that despite all those big cities, people that are from outside of Texas still think of us as "Texans" as a whole more so that Houstonians, Dallas(ians?), San Antonians, Austinites, etc.

That's very true in general, but I did have one very different experience. I was in a city in China a few years back talking with some students with only limited English skills. They asked where I was from, and when I told them Texas, they had no idea where/what that was (eventually they understood it was a state...). But, then they asked me what NBA team was nearby(!). When I told them Houston, it was clear they thought I was from the greatest city in the U.S. - they were incredibly excited...

So, should you ever be in China (at least as long as Yao is playing here), you might actually want to mention you're from Houston :).

Koolaid Time
08-22-2008, 02:00 AM

One thing I don't understand..... Cleveland got to keep the "Browns" name/colors/logo after they were moved to Baltimore.

Harris County or the NFL should have made that sub-humanoid Bud Adams leave the name "Oilers" along with the logos, etc. with Houston as well when he left to go chase possums in Nashville.

2BCF
08-22-2008, 02:22 AM
I like the Texans name, woulda preferred the old Oilers name but I'm certain Bud would have wanted a pretty penny for those rights.

HJam72
08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Actually, I never cared much the "Oilers" name either, but I sure hate seeing things like: Titans best ever player = Earl Campbell. That's just sick.

Kaiser Toro
08-22-2008, 08:40 AM
There is no way in hell I would have followed a team called the Apollos or Wildcatters, those are Fantasy Football names for 7th grade nerds. "And the Apollos take Buzz Lightyear. Hey, pass the Pop Rocks and turn up the Jonas Brothers!"

I like the Texans name. Texans are unique, because Texas is unique. From a marketing standpoint, within the state, I think it will resonate once we start winning.

WWJD
08-22-2008, 09:10 AM
One thing I don't understand..... Cleveland got to keep the "Browns" name/colors/logo after they were moved to Baltimore.

Harris County or the NFL should have made that sub-humanoid Bud Adams leave the name "Oilers" along with the logos, etc. with Houston as well when he left to go chase possums in Nashville.

I think Bud "owns" that name Oilers. I don't know the particulars but he didn't want to leave it. And ultimately I think it was probably best for Houston to start completely new with a new team, new name, logo, etc.

Hervoyel
08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
There is no way in hell I would have followed a team called the Apollos or Wildcatters, those are Fantasy Football names for 7th grade nerds. "And the Apollos take Buzz Lightyear. Hey, pass the Pop Rocks and turn up the Jonas Brothers!"

I like the Texans name. Texans are unique, because Texas is unique. From a marketing standpoint, within the state, I think it will resonate once we start winning.

I very much believe that McNair had an idea he wanted to call the team "Texans" long before the "finalists" were chosen. I think the other finalists were there to intentionally look bad next to "Texans" and make everyone happy that at least we didn't end up being Bobcats or Apollos.

Lets face it, most of those names weren't even good enough for Arena football. For a league that spends enormous amounts of money on it's image I can't imagine they came up with that garbage by accident.

In response to another poster who said they didn't understand why Cleveland pushed to keep the name and history of the Browns and we didn't I have to agree strongly. I think this is a perfect example of the lack of vision and failure to represent the city of Houston to their best ability that previous city and county leaders were guilty of. We had that fat old sack of crap right where we wanted him. We could have forced him to stay in Houston one more year and take a beating at the gate for every game but we didn't and instead we literally gave him a sweetheart deal to leave without extracting any real concessions from him. Getting the name and history should have been a no-brainer even if no future football team in Houston ever wanted to use it (though I would have liked to seen it used I freely admit). That wasn't the point anyway. The point was to not have Earl Campbell listed as the greatest Titan ever. The point was to make them start over from scratch and avoid this dual identity mess that has me looking under "Titans" whenever I go someplace and want to find old Oiler stuff.

Dancerdog
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
I can't come up with a better name for our team than "Texans". The colors are cool. The logo is cool. I'm a native Texan, born and raised in (dare I say it?) Pasadena. I live in Houston now, but I think "Texans" is a great name.

Malloy
08-22-2008, 09:43 AM

It would also look like an erect p....

Houston Texians would have been cool too.

Texans_Chick
08-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Getting the name and history should have been a no-brainer even if no future football team in Houston ever wanted to use it (though I would have liked to seen it used I freely admit). That wasn't the point anyway. The point was to not have Earl Campbell listed as the greatest Titan ever. The point was to make them start over from scratch and avoid this dual identity mess that has me looking under "Titans" whenever I go someplace and want to find old Oiler stuff.

It's one of the reasons why the thought of going to Canton has mixed feelings for me. Yeah, it would be great to see all that NFL history, but would make me throw up seeing Earl in the Titan part of the hall. Not to mention how sad that Houston Pro Football history has been reduced to probably some embarrassing stuff living in the hall (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=13#)--maybe a David Carr passing record or something else similarly stupid.

False Start
08-22-2008, 09:51 AM
At first I was kind of meh.......... now I wouldn't trade it for any other name. I'm Texan proud through and through.

The Cowgirls can go suck a .....sexual organ located in the lower abdominal area..

gtexan02
08-22-2008, 09:51 AM
I originally liked the idea for name "Houston Smog"
We'd smother the competition. Good incentive to keep the roof open too :)

GuerillaBlack
08-22-2008, 09:57 AM
It's one of the reasons why the thought of going to Canton has mixed feelings for me. Yeah, it would be great to see all that NFL history, but would make me throw up seeing Earl in the Titan part of the hall. Not to mention how sad that Houston Pro Football history has been reduced to probably some embarrassing stuff living in the hall (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=13#)--maybe a David Carr passing record or something else similarly stupid.

I'm crying: http://www.profootballhof.com/history/team.jsp?franchise_id=31

Seņor Stan
08-22-2008, 10:03 AM
If I had Bob McNair type money here is what I would do...

Buy the Edmonton Oilers from the NHL and move them to Houston.

Change the colors to Columbia blue, Red, and White.

Put a huge derrick on the front of the hockey jersey.

Claim Wayne Gretzky as the greatest Houston Oiler ever.

[/scoreboard]

WWJD
08-22-2008, 10:04 AM
I originally liked the idea for name "Houston Smog"
We'd smother the competition. Good incentive to keep the roof open too :)

They're saving that for LA's team.

Brando
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
I personally like the Texans. I love the logo,uniforms, and colors. I liked them from the start. They could have been called the Houston Apollos,Stallions etc. I didn't care we had the NFL back in Houston. For people who don't like the name or logo, winning and tradition as always is the cure for everything. The Dolphins first came into the league in 1966. What kind of pansy team name was that? Remember Flipper was a TV series back in the mid 60's. When they started winning and they had some tough players(Csonka,Buoniconti),their bruising running game, and their undefeated season they made a name for themselves. I think the Texans name sounds a little more tough from the start anyway. Then over the years you develop traditon.

I am proud to be a Texan and a Texans fan! Go Texans!!!!!:texflag:

whiskeyrbl
08-22-2008, 10:28 AM

I don't really care what they think. It is what it is and it is ours.:fans:

Hardcore Texan
08-22-2008, 10:29 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/texanshirt3.jpg

I love the name Texans, and I love the logo even more, both are awesome.

Great shirt. Worse than the America's team crap they pull is the hole in the roof crud.

Now allow me to share the ULTIMATE rebuttal I came up with for cowgirls' fans who say "the reason there is a hole in the roof of Texas stadium is so God can watch his favorite team play"

My response: "Just like in Jesus' day when he ran around with theives, lepers, prostitutes and outcast to try reach them and show them love and mercy, the concept is still relevant today, the hole is there so he can still keep his eye on them" :chickendance:

That one is free, use it as you wish. :texflag:

nunusguy
08-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I like the Texans name, woulda preferred the old Oilers name but I'm certain Bud would have wanted a pretty penny for those rights.
The name does nothing to even suggest the identity of Houston let alone extol its virtues. The Oilers was a great name because that's what the city was, that's what it did. Maybe not cool for some because we're talking fossil-fuels here, but few names are more beloved, for example, than the nickname of our opponent in the season opener, and the vast majoirty of the steel mills and the rust belt image left Pittsburgh long ago. On the other hand Houston still lives and breathes energy. Very good chance that's why you're here, directly or indirectly. And now Energy is Global like its never been before.
McNair punted and took a very beige name.

Hardcore Texan
08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
The name does nothing to even suggest the identity of Houston let alone extol its virtues. The Oilers was a great name because that's what the city was, that's what it did. Maybe not cool for some because we're talking fossil-fuels here, but few names are more beloved, for example, than the nickname of our opponent in the season opener, and the vast majoirty of the steel mills and the rust belt image left Pittsburgh long ago. On the other hand Houston still lives and breathes energy. Very good chance that's why you're here, directly or indirectly. And now Energy is Global like its never been before.

How about Houston Gas, Houston Electrons, Houston Black Gold, Houston Texas Tea, or the Houston Hillbillies (cue music) :tiphat:

Hervoyel
08-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Oilers was a name like Steelers and Packers. It was something that had meaning locally far greater than it could nationally. It fit in with those names very well. Texans IMO doesn't have that.

Specnatz
08-22-2008, 12:38 PM
OK, this is going to come across as harsh, so I need to first verify that yes, I am a Texans fan (more than a Cowboys fan), and have been for the last couple of years.

When the Texans' name was picked, I was a Cowboys fan. I hated the name, mainly because I thought it was presumptuous. Like others have said, the name "Texans" means something, and I found it annoying that an upstart team with no history was trying to claim some sort of representation of the whole state, especially given the fact that there was already a highly successful team with strong support across the entire state. Just like lots of people get annoyed at the Cowboys being called "America's team", when they don't really represent most of America, I was annoyed at the Houston team calling itself the "Texans" when they didn't represent most of Texas. And, I know that the name doesn't mean they claim to represent all Texans (nor was it the first team in Texas with the name), but it really rubbed me wrong.

The name has grown on me, but overall, I still think they would have been better off to choose a different name - something that represented the city, or something more general.

Yet claiming your Americas team is not presumptous at all. :foottap:

barrett
08-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Oilers was a name like Steelers and Packers. It was something that had meaning locally far greater than it could nationally. It fit in with those names very well. Texans IMO doesn't have that.

great point. never thought of it that way.

so this has got me wondering... why weren't the oilers black? what the hell does baby blue have to do with oil? is it significant to the city of Houston somehow?

both of those post's have really gotten to me. great points, both of you. rep rep rep.

you know, it's different for everybody, for me personally, (because I know you're all wondering) the clean start was absolutely ideal. i was lost, teamless, wandering the NFL like a vagabond. waking up at 8am in Oregon to watch pregame!!!

I had no affiliation with the Oilers/Titans, they played in Tennessee. Geography was important to me. I'm in oregon, I'm supposed to root for the Seahawks or the Niners?.... you've got to be kidding. I'm not a Raider guy. not my thing. So a brand new squeaky clean team with a new identity was wonderfully refreshing. The "Texans" was important to me so far from home. At the time, the opportunity to get in on the ground floor, to be there from "the beginning" was wonderfully appealing.

But I can see now how "Texans" isn't regional enough for those of you who attached the identity to the city of Houston. I realize that now. Some were there at the beginning when the Oilers were started. They'd already gone through this once. And I can completely empathize with you from that stand point.

So here we are 7 years in, (9 in a sense i guess) and I sometimes look fondly at the Oilers and think, "I wish we had that history." It's not fair to those of you who "loved ya blue" so much to have it stolen away by some team in Tennessee. So I feel for you. I wonder if there would ever be a way to get that back but I'm sure it's impossible. It belongs to the organization that plays in Tennessee.

In the end, it's patience that is going to win out. Time will give the "Texans" that same historic quality. Already we look "way back" to our first victory over the same cowboys that we're playing tonight...

Go Texans.

Tedc
08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I love the name Texans, and I love the logo even more, both are awesome.

Great shirt. Worse than the America's team crap they pull is the hole in the roof crud.

Now allow me to share the ULTIMATE rebuttal I came up with for cowgirls' fans who say "the reason there is a hole in the roof of Texas stadium is so God can watch his favorite team play"

My response: "Just like in Jesus' day when he ran around with theives, lepers, prostitutes and outcast to try reach them and show them love and mercy, the concept is still relevant today, the hole is there so he can still keep his eye on them" :chickendance:

That one is free, use it as you wish. :texflag:

My response it that God has to have someplace to go and Dallas makes perfect sense......

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/Tedc/TexasStadium-1.jpg

Feel free to use that.

Wolf
08-22-2008, 01:24 PM

If I recall... Tom Landry hated the name "America's team" . NFL film coined after noticing people would watch them no matter what.. Either they rooted for them to win, or the watched to see them get stomped, but America watched and it became a title of one of there videos and stuck

there is a thread buried somewhere in the NFL section discussing this. I am just going by memory which isn't very good

ATX
08-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I like it because it works. No other state can turn their name into a reasonable sounding football team name except Texas.

Los Angeles Californians? sounds stupid

NY New Yorkers? sounds stupid

Jacksonville Floridians? again stupid

Charlotte Carolinians? dumb

Houston Texans? works

Or maybe it's my native born bias.

barrett
08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
excellent point. wish i'd have thought of that.

WWJD
08-22-2008, 02:00 PM
If I recall... Tom Landry hated the name "America's team" . NFL film coined after noticing people would watch them no matter what.. Either they rooted for them to win, or the watched to see them get stomped, but America watched and it became a title of one of there videos and stuck

there is a thread buried somewhere in the NFL section discussing this. I am just going by memory which isn't very good

NFL Films coined the term and the media machine that was Tex Schramm ran with it. Almost to a man the Cowboys of that time said they hated it.

Big Lou
08-22-2008, 02:17 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

So the Tennessee Tenneasseans would sound pretty silly as well for the Thumb Tacks!!!!!!

I may have added or left out some, E's, N's, and S's out the above.

euro-Texan
08-22-2008, 02:26 PM
OKAY I might have read into this, but I thought "Texans" came from the history of the republic of Texas and those who fought at the Alamo and those who defeated Santa Anna at San Jacinto before we were a state. So it's really doesn't encompass Dallas at all.... I HATE DALLAS:voodoo:

SheTexan
08-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Mario Williams refered to the Cowboys as "America's team" last night on the news. Someone needs to teach that boy a few lessons!!!:)

I didn't like the name at first, it was on the bottom of my pick list, but, I've grown to love it over the past 7 years. I remember going downtown to the revealing of the colors and logo and thinking, how in the hell or they going to get away from the "cowboy" image! Not refering to the boys who wear the star either, but, the boots, horses, country hick sort of image. When I saw the LOGO it all fell into place! We had our own identity, that of a raging bull!! I LOVED it and quickly embraced the Texan name, as well as the colors ( I didn't like the red, white, and blue.) NOW, I can't imagine us with anything else. Bob McNair knew what he was doing! After all, he paid 700 million bucks for that privilege!! That little fact all by itself made me say I DON'T CARE what the name is or what color they might wear. We have FOOtBALL in Houston again, thanks to the man with the big bucks!!!

euro-Texan
08-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Once again our history from the Alamo to San Jacinto and the original TEXANS when our proud state was a republic makes the "TEXANS" the obvious choice!

kcdoubleeagle
08-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Houston is also an oil and gas based economy....so I suggest we rename the team to the Houston Oil..Oil..Oil....city.......yeah...the Houston Oilcitiers

Hook'er
08-22-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm a Texan!

TexansFight
08-22-2008, 04:18 PM
Its like it is 1999 all over again and we are on the Houston NFL 32 message board. Its our name, I wish it could have been Oilers. The end.

08-22-2008, 04:34 PM
i didn't like it at all at first, but it's grown on me.

Seņor Stan
08-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Indianapolis Indianans?
Jacksonville Floridians?
New York New Yorkers
and the
Houston Texans

That's easy.

The Dallas Southern Oklahomans.

BattleRedToro
08-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Yes, I like it.

Considering that the first pro football team in Dallas was called the Texans, I think it is funny that a fan from Dallas would ridicule the name.

YellerLotYeller
08-22-2008, 05:55 PM
If the Battle of San Jacinto took place in dallas we would be called the Houston Mexicans.