PDA

View Full Version : Impactful Rookies

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Woodson on Total Access just named Steve Slaton as one of the two rookie running backs that might have the most impact this season.

TheRealJoker
08-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I am very excited about his potential this year. He no longer dances in the backfield and seems commited to making one cut and go. Throw in that he isn't afraid to throw a block and I think we've got the 2nd coming of Clinton Portis.

Draft a Marion Barber type in the 2nd or 3rd next season and we've got quite the 1-2 punch imo.

b0ng
08-19-2008, 08:59 PM
His blitz pickup seemed to look steady enough for me.

aj.
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Draft a Marion Barber type in the 2nd or 3rd next season and we've got quite the 1-2 punch imo.

And there you have it.

Now, go find him Rick.

There are several rookie RBs to watch this year. I'm especially interested in McFadden, Stewart, Kevin Smith, Forte, Chris Johnson, Felix Jones, Mendenhall, Tim Hightower ....

GP
08-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Woodson on Total Access just named Steve Slaton as one of the two rookie running backs that might have the most impact this season.

That's a safe pick for Woodson.

Slaton is easily beating the other RBs on our roster, at the moment. Makes sense that Slaton would potentially have the most impact this year: He's on a roster of struggling RBs. Won't take much from Slaton to make an impact.

I'm starting to get pissey again about our RB situation.

aj had to go and throw out names such as Felix Jones, Mendenhall, and Chris Johnson--all were available to us--and I wish he had kept those names to himself. :bat:

awtysst
08-19-2008, 10:27 PM
I just drafted Slaton in the 20th round of a 20 round mock.

D-Frank
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
frank been gettin beat up. like he big for no reason.
i had him as a immediate rookie impact

76Texan
08-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I hate all the hypes! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gifhttp://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

76Texan
08-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Dang it, you got a steal right there, my friend!http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

awtysst
08-19-2008, 11:14 PM
Dang it, you got a steal right there, my friend!http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

I think the key will be this next preseason game against the cowboys. I think he does well and will shoot up the draft boards. With such little press on him, I have been able to grab him with my last pick in 2 straight drafts and likely will again in my third and final draft.

LORK 88
08-19-2008, 11:17 PM
I am very excited about his potential this year. He no longer dances in the backfield and seems commited to making one cut and go. Throw in that he isn't afraid to throw a block and I think we've got the 2nd coming of Clinton Portis.

That's what I'm hoping for, although I won't throw out any names (except for Arian Foster or Marlon Lucky).

08-19-2008, 11:22 PM

and he's #20, heh.

Mailman
08-20-2008, 12:07 AM
That's a safe pick for Woodson.

Slaton is easily beating the other RBs on our roster, at the moment. Makes sense that Slaton would potentially have the most impact this year: He's on a roster of struggling RBs. Won't take much from Slaton to make an impact.

I'm starting to get pissey again about our RB situation.

aj had to go and throw out names such as Felix Jones, Mendenhall, and Chris Johnson--all were available to us--and I wish he had kept those names to himself. :bat:

So you think Mendenhall, Jones, or Johnson alone is worth more than Duane Brown, Steve Slaton, and Dominique Barber combined? Gotta disagree with that.

J-Russ
08-20-2008, 12:14 AM

1-DE/FS
2-RB/DE
3-RB/FS
4-7-BPA, depth

TheRealJoker
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
1-DE/FS
2-RB/DE
3-RB/FS
4-7-BPA, depth

I think our biggest need before the season starts is another stud LB to go with Demeco and a true weakside end so we can move Mario to strongside end full time. Dont know what the draft pool looks like but I think we sandwich Slaton's partner in crime in between a DE/OLB.

J-Russ
08-20-2008, 12:31 AM
I think our biggest need before the season starts is another stud LB to go with Demeco and a true weakside end so we can move Mario to strongside end full time. Dont know what the draft pool looks like but I think we sandwich Slaton's partner in crime in between a DE/OLB.

I think Adibi can be that other stud backer after he get caught up to the speed of the NFL, and after a off-season under a NFL program. If he bulks up like DeMeco did this off-season without losing speed then he can really be special IMO. He already have the talents and intangibilities. I think Diles can hold the SLB spot. But we might upgrade that spot and get someone that can create havoc on pass-rushing.

TheRealJoker
08-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I think Adibi can be that other stud backer after he get caught up to the speed of the NFL, and after a off-season under a NFL program. If he bulks up like DeMeco did this off-season without losing speed then he can really be special IMO. He already have the talents and intangibilities. I think Diles can hold the SLB spot. But we might upgrade that spot and get someone that can create havoc in the pass-rushing game.

I hope so, the more preseason weaknesses checked off the list by the time next offseason rolls around the better.

EX: Last year at this time one of our biggest needs was a WR 2...that's no longer a problem I think :)

GuerillaBlack
08-20-2008, 12:44 AM

Slaton's ownership has risen 2.2% for the past two days (so each day another 2.2%) at ESPN's fantasy leagues. So his name is becoming more known.

mexican_texan
08-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Slaton was a top player in college two years ago, people are just now remembering what kind of a force he was.

Corrosion
08-20-2008, 05:22 AM

Agree'd , can we please get ridda J. Foreman ..... Errr Morlon Greenwood.

awtysst
08-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Slaton's ownership has risen 2.2% for the past two days (so each day another 2.2%) at ESPN's fantasy leagues. So his name is becoming more known.

Yeah, my last draft is tonight. I am hoping nobody remembers him and I can grab him with my last pick.

eriadoc
08-20-2008, 10:25 AM
I'm betting Forsett ends up making the most impact of any rookie RB. Stewart and Mendenhall are in decent situations, but they have good backs ahead of them. McFadden has the Oakland O-line and Al Davis. Matt Forte has the Chicago O-line, which is a shell of what it was a few years ago.

Forsett has Julius Jones ahead of him, who isn't taking over that job. Maurice Morris is showing well, but he's their utility back, and likely nothing more. If anyone gets a chance to check out Forsett, don't. It'll just annoy you about our running game that much more.

Slaton's in a good position to emerge, but I am still not sold he can do it for 16 games. I just don't think he's durable enough to carry the ball 300 times a year. I would love to be proven wrong. Nonetheless, he could be a great complementary back, if used properly.

awtysst
08-21-2008, 12:25 AM

And I did it again. I picked up Slaton with my last pick in a 12 team league.

BattleRedRaider
08-21-2008, 12:56 AM
You know, it's not always bad when people don't know much about the Texans.

In my fantasy football league, I saw people draft Ahman Green AND Chris Brown, while I drafted Steve Slaton with my 292nd (300 being the last) pick.

Then again, I also drafted Matt Schaub, Andre Johnson, and Kris Brown lol

Texecutioner
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm betting Forsett ends up making the most impact of any rookie RB. Stewart and Mendenhall are in decent situations, but they have good backs ahead of them. McFadden has the Oakland O-line and Al Davis. Matt Forte has the Chicago O-line, which is a shell of what it was a few years ago.

Forsett has Julius Jones ahead of him, who isn't taking over that job. Maurice Morris is showing well, but he's their utility back, and likely nothing more. If anyone gets a chance to check out Forsett, don't. It'll just annoy you about our running game that much more.

Slaton's in a good position to emerge, but I am still not sold he can do it for 16 games. I just don't think he's durable enough to carry the ball 300 times a year. I would love to be proven wrong. Nonetheless, he could be a great complementary back, if used properly.

I agree. I'm not getting excited about Slaton until I see him doing big things consistently in the regular season. The guy could get hurt early on in the season, and have hardly an impact at all. Hopefully that won't happen, but it happens all the time. He's only played two pre season games for god sakes, and hasn't even ran with the first team guys. I remember when everyone got so excited about Walli Lundi when Kubiak first got here because he was good in pre season. Then I remember a ton of fans tell me all about how Vernan Morency was going to be such a stud in Kubiak's system because he had that nice run in pre season.

I'm rushing any judgments until I see what Slaton does in the regular season after a few games.

Porky
08-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Who the hell is Forsett? I thought I was pretty much up on this stuff. :thinking:

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Who the hell is Forsett? I thought I was pretty much up on this stuff. :thinking:

Rookie RB out of Cal. Rushed for well over 3000 yards and is currently #3 in yards in Cal history.

eriadoc
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Rookie RB out of Cal. Rushed for well over 3000 yards and is currently #3 in yards in Cal history.

7th round pick that's showing well against the scrubs in preseason. However, he actually looks like he has good individual skills. If he gets a shot this year, I can see him taking over a significant portion of the carries from Jones or Morris. Other than that, just a preseason hero, but if we had any back in preseason doing what he's done, we'd all be giddy.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
7th round pick that's showing well against the scrubs in preseason. However, he actually looks like he has good individual skills. If he gets a shot this year, I can see him taking over a significant portion of the carries from Jones or Morris. Other than that, just a preseason hero, but if we had any back in preseason doing what he's done, we'd all be giddy.

LOL! Right

I haven't seen much of of Jones yet, but Morris is looking pretty good. If the Hawks get their running game back they'll make a push in the NFC.

Has anyone noticed how Forte is doing? He should have an immediate impact with the Bears. He should be the primary RB until Jones is healthy.

Texecutioner
08-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Matt Forte is doing pretty well. They're just not opening up a lot of holes for him. He looks pretty good running the ball though. With the Bears not having any threats at WR at all, and their QB's being bad passers, most team will probably stack the box and try to stop the run.

Brando
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

That was the guy that I wanted the Texans to draft in last years draft before they drafted Slaton. Seattle fans are worried that they might try to put him on the practice squad in order to keep Duckett. If they try that I hope the Texans pick him up. Either way we need to keep an eye on the RB situation in Seattle because I would like Duckett or Forsett(longshot).

76Texan
08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
I didn't notice much of Forte, but the Bears found a nice little TE in Kellen Davis, 6'7 - 262 lbs.
Run "the floor" like Hakeem on a couple of routes.
And sky just like the Dream on that one-handed grab for a TD.
You've got to see it!

I dunno who we'll have covering that guy when the time comes.:scarygirl:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29810&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2008&seasonType=PRE&week=2

It's all the way toward the end of the clip.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Matt Forte is doing pretty well. They're just not opening up a lot of holes for him. He looks pretty good running the ball though. With the Bears not having any threats at WR at all, and their QB's being bad passers, most team will probably stack the box and try to stop the run.

True, but heck, if teams like the Vikes, KC, Balt, etc. can still run the ball efficiently, I reckon the Bears can too. Who knows?

That was the guy that I wanted the Texans to draft in last years draft before they drafted Slaton. Seattle fans are worried that they might try to put him on the practice squad in order to keep Duckett. If they try that I hope the Texans pick him up. Either way we need to keep an eye on the RB situation in Seattle because I would like Duckett or Forsett(longshot).

IIRC, Forsett is even smaller than Slaton. I kinda wanted Forte, but I think he went somewhere in the second round (which we didn't have).

*edit* The Bears play tonight. Maybe we can get a glimpse of what Forte can bring to the table.

Brando
08-21-2008, 01:24 PM
True, but heck, if teams like the Vikes, KC, Balt, etc. can still run the ball efficiently, I reckon the Bears can too. Who knows?

IIRC, Forsett is even smaller than Slaton. I kinda wanted Forte, but I think he went somewhere in the second round (which we didn't have).

*edit* The Bears play tonight. Maybe we can get a glimpse of what Forte can bring to the table.

He is. He is listed at 5'8 but they say he is more like 5'6. I guess thats why he lasted until the 7th round. I wanted to use a 5th round pick on him going into the draft.