PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green vs Jacoby Jones

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 01:36 PM
I keep reading reports on how Kubes & Co. are not sure if Jacoby Jones will even keep his job with the team, yet are hopeful that Ahman Green will be ready to carry the load once the season starts. WTF?!?:foottap:

Jacoby has made some mistakes this preseason, for sure. But at least he has been on the field to make these mistakes we're seeing. If the Texans decide to cut Jacoby and keep Ahman Green, I for one am going to be royally pissed! I've been super-hard on Amobi this preseason, but I understand that he is only a second year player. This organization can't give up on young players who are making mistakes that young players make for washed-up vets who are doing nothing at all.

Another report coming from the Texans front is that Chris Taylor will be getting work at FB this week. Mistake #2. Either the guy is a RB or not. Let him continue to work at RB to see if he gets any better. He is running hard in my opinion. He just is a little rusty right now. I see him getting a lot better about 3 games into the season if he's given the chance. It's time for the Texans to cut their losses with Ahman Green and move on. Give Jacoby and our young players more time to grow Kubes!

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 01:43 PM
I'll say one thing. If the Texans sell this "Ahman Green will be ready to go in three weeks" story and he doesn't go out there in week one and light it up (or worse carries the ball 5-10 times and then leaves the game) then people are going to be pretty damned furious. Very few seem to buy this story now and if someone doesn't step up and stand out in the next week or two then everyone is going to turn their attention to Ahman Green on September 7th and they better see a feature back running better than anyone we've seen in preseason.

It'll get ugly if he does nothing, we can't run the ball, and the Texans lose by a lot.

Hook'er
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I say it's time for JJ to go!:whip:

J-Russ
08-19-2008, 01:51 PM
I keep reading reports on how Kubes & Co. are not sure if Jacoby Jones will even keep his job with the team, yet are hopeful that Ahman Green will be ready to carry the load once the season starts. WTF?!?:foottap:

JBZ dribbles the ball up the court, he drive past the defender, he goes for the lay-up!!!!! *boom* BLOCK SHOT!!!! J-Russ say get that crap out of here.

No where did I see Kubiak saying that Jacoby is endanger of being cut, it's all speculation by the posters here in TT.

Lucky
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
At last Jones has a chance to redeem himself in the final 2 preseason games. Green is just gonna sit it out and wait for the guaranteed money. I'm rooting for Jacoby. I'm hoping Smith & Kubiak come to their senses on Green.

Ckw
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I say it's time for JJ to go!:whip:

I really don't understand the turncoat attitude on this board. Last year Jacoby was the Messiah. This yeah he has a few fumbles (yes they were ridiculous fumbles) and you want to crucify him. I just have this terrible fear that we release him and the Titans pick him up only to be the star receiver Tennessee has been needing and Vince Young turns into Jesus in cleats.

The kid still has tons of potential. He just seems nervous out there. He is trying to do too much with too little, which is a problem I think we can work with.

08-19-2008, 01:58 PM
I really don't understand the turncoat attitude on this board. Last year Jacoby was the Messiah. This yeah he has a few fumbles (yes they were ridiculous fumbles) and you want to crucify him. I just have this terrible fear that we release him and the Titans pick him up only to be the star receiver Tennessee has been needing and Vince Young turns into Jesus in cleats.

The kid still has tons of potential. He just seems nervous out there. He is trying to do too much with too little, which is a problem I think we can work with.

agreed. as for green, he can go... the sooner, the better. i'd love to see us draft a power back in round 2 or 3 next year to compliment slaton.

Goldensilence
08-19-2008, 01:58 PM
I find it funny people are jumping on Jones performance but had no problem last year prior. He was making strides at the end of the year. Guys like David Anderson are very easy to cheer for. Hard workers and effort guys. But at the end of the day as much as I or anyone likes what the guy does he doesn't have the upside of Jones. It's his second year from a small school and he missed a fair amount of time his rookie year after hurting himself on an electric punt return against the Colts. I think he'll be given til the end of his rookie contract before we see him cut straight up from the squad. Until then he needs to relax,keep within his bounds, and not try to force something that isn't there.

Green I won't defend. One run and pulling up after not even getting touched. All I can do is piggyback on Herv's statements about Green and hope in the meantime someone on the staff can step up and be enough of a complimentary back to Steve Slaton. I also hope Kubiak doesn't ride him in the ground come start of the season and rotates him out.

TheRealJoker
08-19-2008, 02:04 PM
I wonder what kind of message it sends to the rest of the team if Green isn't cut and is handed the starting job for however many plays he lasts next season.

noxiousdog
08-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Jacoby Jones has zero touchdowns, 500 total return yards and 150 receiving yards. Ahman Green is a 4 time pro-bowler that has 2800 receiving yards in his career. Oh yeah, and a career rushing average of 4.5 yards per carry.

I'll take questions about health over question about attitude 10 times out of 10.

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
JBZ dribbles the ball up the court, he drive past the defender, he goes for the lay-up!!!!! *boom* BLOCK SHOT!!!! J-Russ say get that crap out of here.

No where did I see Kubiak saying that Jacoby is endanger of being cut, it's all speculation by the posters here in TT.

Take a look at Thomas Hilton's update on his blog on chron.com Smart-Arse!

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I wonder what kind of message it sends to the rest of the team if Green isn't cut and is handed the starting job for however many plays he lasts next season.

Seconds:goodpost:

08-19-2008, 02:19 PM
i will be SHOCKED if we cut jones.

noxiousdog
08-19-2008, 02:23 PM

That if you have 9,000 career rushing yards and 56 touchdowns, you get the benefit of the doubt?

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Jacoby Jones has zero touchdowns, 500 total return yards and 150 receiving yards. Ahman Green is a 4 time pro-bowler that has 2800 receiving yards in his career. Oh yeah, and a career rushing average of 4.5 yards per carry.

I'll take questions about health over question about attitude 10 times out of 10.

Really? Ahman Green has had an outstanding career, no doubt:tiphat:. But let's check out how much of those career stats he's added to with the Texans, which is all I care about:

In 6 games last year, he rushed 70 times for 260 yards, or an average of 3.7 yards/carry with 2 rushing TDs. He also had 14 receptions for 123 yards and no receiving TDs.

So, out of all his career achievements, he's only contributed 383 total yards from scrimmage for the Texans. "Give me, 'Questions about attitude' for 650 Alex."

TheRealJoker
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
That if you have 9,000 career rushing yards and 56 touchdowns, you get the benefit of the doubt?

Some might think, if you have a large pay grade you get handed the starting job without doing anything on this team to earn it.

cuppacoffee
08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Said T Bosseli to Dominic Davis/W.

:coffee:

cuppacoffee
08-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Some might think, if you have a large pay grade you get handed the starting job without doing anything on this team to earn it.

Whatever gave you such a silly idea?..:rolleyes:

TheRealJoker
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Why Anthony Weaver and Ahman Green of course!!! :splits:

noxiousdog
08-19-2008, 02:45 PM

Do we have any instances of Kubiak going with a vet where the cheaper alternative was clearly better?

On the other hand, we've had a lot of vets send packing.

noxiousdog
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM

News flash: They're planning on splitting time between Weaver and Cochran cause Weaver aint getting it done.

cuppacoffee
08-19-2008, 04:20 PM

Not exactly who I had in mind, but it'll work.

IlliniJen
08-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Can you please cite sources where you keep hearing this information. Please note: John McFatty McClain speculating on his blog is not a reliable source of information, if that's one of your sources.

There's really no point to having a conversation around this unless there's a confirmable, reliable and believeable source that has been saying that Jones might get dropped.

TEXANS84
08-19-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm having the same flashbacks as the 2006 offseason:

"Sure, Domanick will be healthy and ready to go for the season opener."

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm having the same flashbacks as the 2006 offseason:

"Sure, Domanick will be healthy and ready to go for the season opener."

:gun:

76Texan
08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Can you please cite sources where you keep hearing this information. Please note: John McFatty McClain speculating on his blog is not a reliable source of information, if that's one of your sources.

There's really no point to having a conversation around this unless there's a confirmable, reliable and believeable source that has been saying that Jones might get dropped.Speculation is simply what it is!

Kubiak (on the punt return situation) Well, Im going to give Jacoby (Jones) a chance to work out of this but at the same time our football team has to know what direction we are going. If somebody is back there putting the ball on the ground, so David (Anderson) is going to get a lot of work this week, and Andre (Davis). Between the three of those, they will handle those duties. But Im giving Jacoby every chance I possibly can for him to work out of this and clean these mistakes up.

hollywood_texan
08-19-2008, 04:45 PM
It seems surprising the push to cut bait on Jacoby Jones. Factor in all the other opportunities some other other players have gotten from the Texans, it seems a little strange. Jones is a 2nd year player that was hurt most of rookie year. Give him time to develop has long he has the work ethic, is healthy, and isn't a problem in the locker room.

As for Green, the Texans have too much invested to cut bait. Expect him to be the starter despite his injuries because he they need to find out quickly if he can carry the load similar to his 2006 year with GB.

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM

There's really no point to having a conversation around this unless there's a confirmable, reliable and believeable source that has been saying that Jones might get dropped.

Citing sources?!? Didn't realize I was posting a freaking research paper, but:

UPDATE: Tuesday, August 19) - The Houston Chronicle is now reporting that WR Jacoby Jones could be in danger of losing his job to Harry Williams. Despite all the talk, it appears to be true that the coaching staff's patience is running thin on the high-speed 3rd round pick in 2007. Jones is already out at being considered for the Texans 3rd wide-out option. The WR position is stacked in Houston's favor with depth and that only hurt's Jones's chances as he tries to fix his fumbling issues. Stay tuned...

(UPDATE: Tuesday: August, 19) - According to the Texans and coach Kubiak, The Texans reportedly are "hoping against hope" that injured RB Ahman Green has some football left in him, and that they haven't given up on him. Green is already signed for a hefty price. Even though Green has had some flashes of being good in practice, a player that can never get on the field doesn't do a team any good, except be a burden on payroll. The only question outside NFL analysts have asked this morning is why would the team already give up on WR Jacoby Jones (who can at least still get on the field) and still continue to hold on to veteran RB's that can never get or stay on the field? Some NFL analysts are looking for answers to that conundrum this morning.

Carr Bombed
08-19-2008, 04:50 PM

Jacoby has made some mistakes this preseason, for sure. But at least he has been on the field to make these mistakes we're seeing. If the Texans decide to cut Jacoby and keep Ahman Green, I for one am going to be royally pissed!

The difference between Ahman and Jacoby is one player plays at a position that is extremely thin and the other plays at a position loaded with talent.

If Ahman was a WR and Jacoby was a RB, Ahman would've already been cut by now and there wouldn't really be any doubt that Jacoby would make the team.

Realistically I'm just hoping we can get altleast half a healthy season out of Ahman and then somebody else steps up and handles the other half.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 04:53 PM

UPDATE: Tuesday, August 19) - The Houston Chronicle is now reporting that WR Jacoby Jones could be in danger of losing his job to Harry Williams. Despite all the talk, it appears to be true that the coaching staff's patience is running thin on the high-speed 3rd round pick in 2007. Jones is already out at being considered for the Texans 3rd wide-out option. The WR position is stacked in Houston's favor with depth and that only hurt's Jones's chances as he tries to fix his fumbling issues. Stay tuned...

(UPDATE: Tuesday: August, 19) - According to the Texans and coach Kubiak, The Texans reportedly are "hoping against hope" that injured RB Ahman Green has some football left in him, and that they haven't given up on him. Green is already signed for a hefty price. Even though Green has had some flashes of being good in practice, a player that can never get on the field doesn't do a team any good, except be a burden on payroll. The only question outside NFL analysts have asked this morning is why would the team already give up on WR Jacoby Jones (who can at least still get on the field) and still continue to hold on to veteran RB's that can never get or stay on the field? Some NFL analysts are looking for answers to that conundrum this morning.

Sorry, but those are mere speculations!

Thorn
08-19-2008, 04:57 PM
If we cut JJ someone will pick him and and he'll come back to haunt us.

Mr PC
08-19-2008, 05:00 PM
totally agree, jacoby should get a spot on the roster no matter what. He has great upside and just needs to mature some more. Still very young and we knew he was raw when we drafted him. It would not make sense to cut him at this point, and i doubt that will happen.

This most likely will be Ahman's last year in the NFL. He has lost a step or two, and he cant stay healthy for any extended period of time. We have decent depth with Brown, Slaton, Taylor, Walker and can always pick up Bell or Dayne if it comes to that. If there is only one spot it should go to Jones rather than Green.

Seor Stan
08-19-2008, 05:02 PM

You are citing Thomas Hilton. Fan Blogger Thomas Hilton.

Here is the "warning" the top of the page...

Note: This blogger is a reader offering his own perspective on a subject that interests him. The posts and opinions are his own and are not edited by the Chronicle. He is solely responsible for the content of this blog.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/back_from_new_orleanspostgame_1.html

This dude don't know poop from applesauce. He has no sources just speculation. You would have been better of quoting Justice or McClain.

AustinJB
08-19-2008, 05:04 PM
The only question outside NFL analysts have asked this morning is why would the team already give up on WR Jacoby Jones (who can at least still get on the field) and still continue to hold on to veteran RB's that can never get or stay on the field? Some NFL analysts are looking for answers to that conundrum this morning.[/COLOR]

First of all, let me say that I would be completely shocked if Jones was cut. Has he had a few issues this preseason? Of course, but nothing that would constitute cutting a 2nd yr. player from a small school who is still learning how to play the game. There are no excuses...he has to get better, but there is also a growth period for him. Be patient. He will get there...and someone else while step into the PR role until he can prove he can hang onto the ball.

At the same time, in reference to the quote above, I wonder who these "NFL analysts" are. It's not too hard to see why Jones would supposedly be in danger of being cut and the coaching staff is still holding out hope that Green can make a contribution.

Umm....hello? :thinking: Look at the depth at each position. We're loaded at WR so we could afford to cut a young "project" player (I don't think we will, but we COULD). We are bare-thin at RB w/ not many other options available so we really NEED for Green to make a contribution therefore the staff is willing to hold out for the possibility that he can work throught the injuries (I don't think it will happen, but that is the reason IMO).

hadaad
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
If Matt Jones still has a position on the Jaguars, I'm sure we can spare a little patience for Jacoby Jones.

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry, but those are mere speculations!

Good gracious:headhurts:

Okay then, let's talk speculation. Well, this much is fact:

1)AJ-Lock
2)Walter-Lock
3)Andre Davis and The Mullett-Locks
4)Ahman is not getting cut

So that leaves one more WR position open. Will it be Jacoby, or will it be Harry Williams? Or will it be both? If so, and the team keeps 6 WR, who goes? An o-lineman like Frye or White? A d-lineman like Maddox, Okam, Zgonina, or Weaver? What do all of my fellow speculators think?

Carr Bombed
08-19-2008, 05:15 PM
If Matt Jones still has a position on the Jaguars, I'm sure we can spare a little patience for Jacoby Jones.

Look at what's playing ahead of Matt Jones

now......

Look at what's playing ahead of Jacoby Jones.

Carr Bombed
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Good gracious:headhurts:

Okay then, let's talk speculation. Well, this much is fact:

1)AJ-Lock
2)Walter-Lock
3)Andre Davis and The Mullett-Locks
4)Ahman is not getting cut

So that leaves one more WR position open. Will it be Jacoby, or will it be Harry Williams? Or will it be both? If so, and the team keeps 6 WR, who goes? An o-lineman like Frye or White? A d-lineman like Maddox, Okam, Zgonina, or Weaver? What do all of my fellow speculators think?

I wish it would be Weaver......I can't stand to even watch him play. We field 1 DE and 3 DTs, Amobi would be a better DE than him.

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Note: This blogger is a reader offering his own perspective on a subject that interests him. The posts and opinions are his own and are not edited by the Chronicle. He is solely responsible for the content of this blog.

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/08/back_from_new_orleanspostgame_1.html

This dude don't know poop from applesauce. He has no sources just speculation. You would have been better of quoting Justice or McClain.

Okay, how about from the horse's mouth then:

(on the game) Looking at the special teams, there is some disappointment there. We are looking for more guys to step up. I think Harry Williams has been the ultimate bright spot on special teams. Hes been consistent; hes making a big push for us to find a roster spot for him on this team, just by how well hes playing on special teams. I think Nick Ferguson did some good things. Kris (Brown) continues to kick the ball well. Matt (Turk) kicked the ball well. We have to get, overall, just get better. Some of our young guys have got to come on. You look at guys like (Dominque) Barber and (Brandon) Harrison, players like that, Chris Taylor; they have to play well on special teams. I think we have a lot of room for improvement.

on the possibility of carrying six receivers rather than five because of how well Harry Williams is playing) I think, as a coach, you go into it saying five. The way hes playing right now we have to look real hard at keeping six, because hes the best guy weve got on the field right now when we are in special teams mode. Thats a third of the game and the way hes playing. Hes going to make us keep six, or if we keep five then somebody is in trouble.

These quotes are from Kubiak's Monday Press Conference.

Plus, I haven't stated anywhere that Jacoby would be cut. I've been reading reports from every source I can find on my favorite team. It just bugs me that Jacoby is trying hard ,even though he is making mistakes, to make plays for this team and faces even the possibility of getting cut when a player like Ahman Green is safe.

TK_Gamer
08-19-2008, 05:35 PM
It doesn't matter who you are in this league, putting the ball on the ground is seriously frowned on. if jacoby was dropping passes, missing routes, or not blocking hard enough in the run game we would hardly hear a word about it. you cough up the rock though you have a bullseye on you.

The good news is many players have had bouts of fumbling problems and worked thru it and had good careers. It's not incurable, just very costly and attracts alot of attention. I wish JJ the best of luck, I think he will get through it. He just needs to make SOME positive progress in preseason and practice and he will beat out harry williams no problem.

What's really scary is the Texans now have a level of talent that makes the PS a very dangerous thing. I remember the Chiefs about 5 or 6 years ago had the same problem, they had a promissing young guard named ryan lilja they got in the draft but were fat on offensive lineman and had to PS him. He got yanked off the waiver wire faster than you can say "man did we screw that up", then turned out to be better than even KC thought. I think that's our biggest problem with JJ and guys like Barber and a few others, they will never last through waivers.

PMSTRIKER
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I think we should let Steve slaton take PR duty because he hangs on to the football and is just as if not more explosive than JJ. Because so far Jacoby hasn't looked bad in the recieving game as he had that 40 yarder in the first game. JMO

KEYE SUX
08-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Maybe I just have a different view point but I believe Green on a thin RB corps is a serious danger. If we cut Green, we would have a corps of young guys (Slaton, Walker, Taylor) of which one or more may step up. If we keep Green and then cut one of the young guys our chances of someone stepping up is reduced because of even fewer backs. Green hasn't played a full season since 2003. Is this really a risk you want to take with a running back in the twilight of his career?

IlliniJen
08-19-2008, 06:34 PM

Citing sources can be very important in order for people to know what sort of "information" they're dealing with.

Here's an example: yesterday on Rotoworld, I saw a "news" headline that said Ahman Green may be cut from the Texans. I followed that "news" to freakin' John McClain's BLOG where he makes the ASSUMPTION that Green may get cut if he doesn't play in any of the pre-season games. End result: it was merely an opinion from McFatty and not true team news, and therefore not as reliable as the headline made it seem.

J-Russ
08-19-2008, 09:03 PM
I think the OP must have some sort of mental disorder.

He can't seem to distinguish fact from fiction. I ask him where did Kubiak say that Jacoby was endanger of losing his job and he gave me a quote from Thomas Hilton. A fan-blogger.

Please don't tell me you're going to take what a fan-blogger say and claim it as a credible source. You're acting like it coming straight from Kubiak's own mouth.

JDizzle
08-19-2008, 09:21 PM

David Carr part Deux.

GP
08-19-2008, 09:40 PM

I typed out the entire frickin' presser that Kubiak gave the other day.

He chuckled VERY awkwardly when asked about Jacoby. It was one of those chuckles that was born out of frustration. It was a run-your-hands-through-your-hair-and-let-out-a-big-sigh sort of moment.

THEN...the question popped up about how many WRs Kubiak would carry: 5 or 6. Kubiak said Harry Williams is pushing for a roster spot, and that if we have 6 WRs it appears Harry is fine. But, Kubiak clarified, if we carry only 5 WRs..."then someone is in TROUBLE...(another one of those chuckles I mentioned earlier)."

Speculate this: Jacoby Jones is in a heap'uh trubble.

Some of you guys just can't get a read on the head coach. Kubiak is making it so freaking obvious that Jacoby is running out of chances. You can wish it all away, if you want, but it is what it is: Dude is on the bubble.

I hope he makes it because he is sooooo talented, and we NEED his talent. But the sun is going down on this situation. Quickly.

LOL. "It's all speculation."

08-19-2008, 09:50 PM
I typed out the entire frickin' presser that Kubiak gave the other day.

He chuckled VERY awkwardly when asked about Jacoby. It was one of those chuckles that was born out of frustration. It was a run-your-hands-through-your-hair-and-let-out-a-big-sigh sort of moment.

THEN...the question popped up about how many WRs Kubiak would carry: 5 or 6. Kubiak said Harry Williams is pushing for a roster spot, and that if we have 6 WRs it appears Harry is fine. But, Kubiak clarified, if we carry only 5 WRs..."then someone is in TROUBLE...(another one of those chuckles I mentioned earlier)."

Speculate this: Jacoby Jones is in a heap'uh trubble.

Some of you guys just can't get a read on the head coach. Kubiak is making it so freaking obvious that Jacoby is running out of chances. You can wish it all away, if you want, but it is what it is: Dude is on the bubble.

I hope he makes it because he is sooooo talented, and we NEED his talent. But the sun is going down on this situation. Quickly.

LOL. "It's all speculation."

it's all speculation.

GP
08-19-2008, 10:01 PM
it's all speculation.

It's all speculation.

Your turn.

08-19-2008, 10:16 PM
It's all speculation.

Your turn.

lol, i honestly just did that to get a rise out of you.

you can obviously tell kubiak is frustrated, but do you SERIOUSLY think they're gonna cut this guy in his SECOND year? harry williams ain't gonna take him out of a job, i can tell you that much. i'll gladly eat crow if i'm wrong.

Kaiser Toro
08-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I hate Illinois speculators.

Ahman good. Jacoby bad.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/2274166417_62346ea0c5.jpg?v=0

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I think the OP must have some sort of mental disorder.

He can't seem to distinguish fact from fiction. I ask him where did Kubiak say that Jacoby was endanger of losing his job and he gave me a quote from Thomas Hilton. A fan-blogger.

Please don't tell me you're going to take what a fan-blogger say and claim it as a credible source. You're acting like it coming straight from Kubiak's own mouth.

Once again, just for you J-Russ:

on the possibility of carrying six receivers rather than five because of how well Harry Williams is playing) I think, as a coach, you go into it saying five. The way hes playing right now we have to look real hard at keeping six, because hes the best guy weve got on the field right now when we are in special teams mode. Thats a third of the game and the way hes playing. Hes going to make us keep six, or if we keep five then somebody is in trouble.

(on the game) Looking at the special teams, there is some disappointment there. We are looking for more guys to step up. I think Harry Williams has been the ultimate bright spot on special teams. Hes been consistent; hes making a big push for us to find a roster spot for him on this team, just by how well hes playing on special teams. I think Nick Ferguson did some good things. Kris (Brown) continues to kick the ball well. Matt (Turk) kicked the ball well. We have to get, overall, just get better. Some of our young guys have got to come on. You look at guys like (Dominque) Barber and (Brandon) Harrison, players like that, Chris Taylor; they have to play well on special teams. I think we have a lot of room for improvement.

Now, this is from Kubiak's press conference on Monday. Hilton posted his update today. Just like GP stated, if you can't read between the lines on what Kubiak is really saying, then who really has the mental disorder?:wacko:

HJam72
08-19-2008, 10:33 PM
All Jacoby has to do is catch a couple of punts, run straight ahead, and get tackled without fumbling the ball. Just show that he isn't going to run around like a chicken with his head cut off and fumble the ball. Just doing that would go a long way toward getting coaches and fans off his back right now. It's not like we don't know that he could break one any time.

I don't know about Green, but I would've cut him already. If he can't prove his durability this preseason, he shouldn't be on this team come Sept. 1 (approx.).

J-Russ
08-19-2008, 10:40 PM
So you wanna break it down for me and tell me where he said Jacoby is endanger? Right now Harry Williams is the darkhorse to make the team not JJ.

on the possibility of carrying six receivers rather than five because of how well Harry Williams is playing) “I think, as a coach, you go into it saying five. The way he’s playing right now we have to look real hard at keeping six, because he’s the best guy we’ve got on the field right now when we are in special teams mode.
Because of the way HW is playing now, Kubiak is thinking of taking on 6 WR, but before he intended on having 5 for the start of the season.

He’s going to make us keep six, or if we keep five then somebody is in trouble.”

He going to make them think of keeping 6, but if they only keep five then who is in trouble? Gee, the guy Kubiak was talking about in that whole paragraph.

(on the game) “Looking at the special teams, there is some disappointment there. We are looking for more guys to step up. I think Harry Williams has been the ultimate bright spot on special teams. He’s been consistent; he’s making a big push for us to find a roster spot for him on this team, just by how well he’s playing on special teams. I think Nick Ferguson did some good things. Kris (Brown) continues to kick the ball well. Matt (Turk) kicked the ball well. We have to get, overall, just get better. Some of our young guys have got to come on. You look at guys like (Dominque) Barber and (Brandon) Harrison, players like that, Chris Taylor; they have to play well on special teams. I think we have a lot of room for improvement.

If we keep HW, it'll mainly be for ST. Which group does he play on ST? Kickoff is where he shine brightest at. I'm not sure if he plays on KR or PR. But unless he can overtake JJ for the PR, then I doubt he is a threat to him there.

WR? Has he even caught a ball in pre-season yet, or at all for the Texans? So far he is not a threat to Jacoby.

He's a threat to Harrison, Barber, and maybe Taylor because they have the same job on special. He's not a threat to Jacoby because their jobs are different on ST. Also Jacoby is going to contribute more on offense then Williams, so he shouldn't be a problem for him on offense either.

So far I have no idea where you got the idea that Jacoby job was endanger because of Harry Williams.

76Texan
08-20-2008, 12:38 AM
J-Russ, you ought to be a used-car salesman, I bet you can sell a dozen a day! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Good counterpoints!

I wonder if H.W. still has PS eligibility???

Texan JBZ
08-20-2008, 08:32 AM
Wow J-Russ, you really got me there. I mean, I must be outta my league trying to trade turns with you. Man, what is wrong with me for thinking that Jacoby is danger of losing his job. Maybe I just read too much into things. Or, it can be that I just not a smart guy like you are. Either way..

"He's going to make us keep six, OR if we keep FIVE then somebody is in trouble."

Gee, J-Russ, I wonder who that sixth WIDE RECEIVER is who would be in trouble? Is it STRONG SAFETY Brandon Harrison? Is it STRONG SAFETY Dominique Barber? Or, is it RUNNINGBACK Chris Taylor? Hmmm, I wonder:thinking:

If we keep HW, it'll mainly be for ST. Which group does he play on ST? Kickoff is where he shine brightest at. I'm not sure if he plays on KR or PR. But unless he can overtake JJ for the PR, then I doubt he is a threat to him there.

WR? Has he even caught a ball in pre-season yet, or at all for the Texans? So far he is not a threat to Jacoby.

Looks like you've thought of everything that I didn't even take a second to consider J-Russ. You're so smart, and I'm so dumb. Oh, except for the fact that if the Texans keep Jacoby (which is what I stated the Texans should do from the word go), HE WOULD ALSO BE USED MAINLY FOR SPECIAL TEAMS! Think about it-if the Texans go 4 Wide, it's AJ, Walt, AD, and The Mullet; if they go 5 Wide, add in Owen D. So where does that leave my main man Jacoby but on the bench since, in actuality, he plays only one position now which is PR. Using your expertise, HW can only "overtake JJ for the PR" position...

Texans News Flash:

(on how he will handle WR Jacoby Jones) Well were trying them all. First, off weve got to get the problems fixed, and its easy to say. Obviously we didnt fix it from week one to week two. Hes (wide receiver Jacoby Jones) got to have a sense of urgency to get it fixed also because thats going to take place back there somebody else is going to do it. I believe in him. Hes got a lot of ability. He can help this team, but hes got to settle down, do his job, do it consistently and weve also got to have the answer if its not being done that way. So this week we are going to work Andr Davis and David Anderson with him, just even reps back there. (We) plan on probably going into the game using as a punt returner Jacoby Jones and David (Anderson). Well make that decision later in the week, but whoever is going to be back there has to protect the ball. I think we had a fair catch situation on the first one. He was trying to make a play, but weve got to protect the ball there. (He) should have made the catch on the 12 or 13-yard line to keep us from getting backed up. (Theres) a lot of responsibility there, but hey, this is the big boys and hes got to step up, handle it and do his job.

Now I might have a little Gump in me, but it seems to me what Kubiak is saying is that although he wants JJ to be the PR, he now has to prove that he is better at it than two other WIDE RECEIVERS who are ahead of him on the depth chart at WIDE RECEIVER to prove he deserves a spot on this team as a SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER. Or, using your argument he has to beat out two SAFETIES and a RUNNINGBACK.

Man!? I think you're forgetting that I want JJ on this team. My whole argument in the first place was why did JJ have to prove so much to stay on the field when Ahman Green is guaranteed his spot and has done nothing at all.:brickwall:

Sorry Mr. Used Car Salesman, I think I'll take my business to Landmark Chevy:texflag:

HJam72
08-20-2008, 09:26 AM
If AG gets hurt in one more preseason game this year, I bet they him go. :sarcasm:

BLUE114
08-20-2008, 09:32 AM
I for one think that cutting Jacoby over Green would be a big mistake. Green has had a terrific career but has done VERY little lately. Since 2004 he has played in about 50% of his games and has had pedestrian numbers. He has averaged 63 yrds/game that he did play in and has had a whooping 7 TDs for an average 1 every 3.5 games. 1 year may be a fluke but there is definately a trend here and bang for your buck is not that impressive. Jacoby does have the yips and needs to get his head on right but I think his upside potential his pretty high. That being said, he has not been the same since his injury. Alot of people think that Anderson is the answer but he too has taken time to mature and has had his share of problems fielding punts.

J-Russ
08-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow J-Russ, you really got me there. I mean, I must be outta my league trying to trade turns with you. Man, what is wrong with me for thinking that Jacoby is danger of losing his job. Maybe I just read too much into things. Or, it can be that I just not a smart guy like you are. Either way..

"He's going to make us keep six, OR if we keep FIVE then somebody is in trouble."

Gee, J-Russ, I wonder who that sixth WIDE RECEIVER is who would be in trouble? Is it STRONG SAFETY Brandon Harrison? Is it STRONG SAFETY Dominique Barber? Or, is it RUNNINGBACK Chris Taylor? Hmmm, I wonder:thinking:

The sixth receiver is Harry Williams. He's making them think about keeping six, he's endanger of not making this team, even though he's playing well. I can't believe you can't comprehend that, you can't read right boy? Read Gary Kubiak quote acouple more time slowly, say it outloud, hell get you're parent to translate for you or something.

Looks like you've thought of everything that I didn't even take a second to consider J-Russ. You're so smart, and I'm so dumb. Oh, except for the fact that if the Texans keep Jacoby (which is what I stated the Texans should do from the word go), HE WOULD ALSO BE USED MAINLY FOR SPECIAL TEAMS! Think about it-if the Texans go 4 Wide, it's AJ, Walt, AD, and The Mullet; if they go 5 Wide, add in Owen D. So where does that leave my main man Jacoby but on the bench since, in actuality, he plays only one position now which is PR. Using your expertise, HW can only "overtake JJ for the PR" position...

That the dumbest thing I've ever read on my entire time on TT. Has Harry WIlliam ever played punt returner? PR=Punter Returner. Didn't you say you use to play college ball? Well you're football IQ ain't showing up well, hell even the waterboy would've known what it meant. Smells like bull****. It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

So far we've only had JJ as PR. I have NOT seen anyone else attempt to return punts.

Like I said, their job on ST is different, JJ return punts, HW tackles on kickoff(maybe block too on kick return).

So where does that leave my main man Jacoby but on the bench since, in actuality, he plays only one position now which is PR.
He plays WR with the 2nd string offense. Has Williams even play on offense at all yet?

Texan JBZ
08-20-2008, 10:41 AM
The sixth receiver is Harry Williams. He's making them think about keeping sixth, he's endanger of not making this team, even though he's playing well. I can't believe you can't comprehend that, you can't read right boy? Read Gary Kubiak quote acouple more time slowly, say it outloud, hell get you're parent to translate for you or something.

That the dumbest thing I've ever read on my entire time on TT. Has Harry WIlliam ever played punt returner? PR=Punter Returner. Didn't you say you use to play college ball? Well you're football IQ ain't showing up well, hell even the waterboy would've known what it meant. Smells like bull****. It's obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

So far we've only had JJ as PR. I have NOT seen anyone else attempt to return punts.

Like I said, their job on ST is different, JJ return punts, HW tackles on kickoff(maybe block too on kick return).

He plays WR with the 2nd string offense. Has Williams even play on offense at all yet?

J-Russ, I'm done going back and forth with you. My mama always said that you're the fool if you argue with one. No need to throw words like "boy" into anything though. I'm a grown-ass man. I got your "boy" dangling. You win dawg, happy now?

J-Russ
08-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Texans News Flash:

(on how he will handle WR Jacoby Jones) “Well we’re trying them all. First, off we’ve got to get the problems fixed, and it’s easy to say. Obviously we didn’t fix it from week one to week two. He’s (wide receiver Jacoby Jones) got to have a sense of urgency to get it fixed also because that’s going to take place back there somebody else is going to do it. I believe in him. He’s got a lot of ability. He can help this team, but he’s got to settle down, do his job, do it consistently and we’ve also got to have the answer if it’s not being done that way. So this week we are going to work André Davis and David Anderson with him, just even reps back there. (We) plan on probably going into the game using as a punt returner Jacoby Jones and David (Anderson). We’ll make that decision later in the week, but whoever is going to be back there has to protect the ball. I think we had a fair catch situation on the first one. He was trying to make a play, but we’ve got to protect the ball there. (He) should have made the catch on the 12 or 13-yard line to keep us from getting backed up. (There’s) a lot of responsibility there, but hey, this is the big boys and he’s got to step up, handle it and do his job.”

Now I might have a little Gump in me, but it seems to me what Kubiak is saying is that although he wants JJ to be the PR, he now has to prove that he is better at it than two other WIDE RECEIVERS who are ahead of him on the depth chart at WIDE RECEIVER

Ok DA is now going to try PR, just incase JJ can't get over his slump. I don't think he'l be the threat that JJ is at PR(with confidence) but we'll just have to wait and see.

Two WR infront of him? Don't you mean four? Unless JJ is the #3 WR already. JJ will be given his chance to prove he can play the spot with the 2nd team. Again I've never seen Williams play WR, so he's no threat to him there. Tim Carter, and Mark Simmons are though. They both better WR then Williams, and they have been impressing in practices and pre-season games.

to prove he deserves a spot on this team as a SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER. Or, using your argument he has to beat out two SAFETIES and a RUNNINGBACK.
Oh really, he's going to start playing on kickoff and start making tackle? I like to see a quote from Kubiak, and don't give me another crap from a fan-blogger.

J-Russ
08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
J-Russ, I'm done going back and forth with you. My mama always said that you're the fool if you argue with one. No need to throw words like "boy" into anything though. I'm a grown-ass man. I got your "boy" dangling. You win dawg, happy now?

Oh really? I like to see a quote on that, and don't give me another fanblogger crap.

joke.

HJam72
08-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Ok DA is now going to try PR, just incase JJ can't get over his slump. I don't think he'l be the threat that JJ is at PR(with confidence) but we'll just have to wait and see.

Two WR infront of him? Don't you mean four? Unless JJ is the #3 WR already. JJ will be given his chance to prove he can play the spot with the 2nd team. Again I've never seen Williams play WR, so he's no threat to him there. Tim Carter, and Mark Simmons are though. They both better WR then Williams, and they have been impressing in practices and pre-season games.

Oh really, he's going to start playing on kickoff and start making tackle? I like to see a quote from Kubiak, and don't give me another crap from a fan-blogger.

DA is already a Pass Receptor. :photos:

infantrycak
08-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Y'all need to keep the discussion more civil or you're going to start losing some posts.

Texan JBZ
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Y'all need to keep the discussion more civil or you're going to start losing some posts.

Sorry