PDA

View Full Version : Pound your chest

Texanmike02
08-19-2008, 05:23 AM
OK time to list the things you were right about, since we have a crow thread.

Ya'll start, I'm not going to dare post my list first.

Mike

Ole Miss Texan
08-19-2008, 09:17 AM
We miss Ron Dayne. :)

HOU-TEX
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM

No.......we don't. :)

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
No.......we don't. :)

Yes..... Yes we do! :)

dalemurphy
08-19-2008, 09:27 AM

Here's one thing I'm right about: we will be much better without Ron Dayne running the ball. The difference in the defense's respect of the RBs speed to the edge already has openned up the bootlegs. surely, you've noticed that.

While I'm here:

1. Matt Schaub would be a very good QB.
2. Mario Williams being a smart pick
2b. Reggie Bush was way over rated as a pro back.
2c. It would take yearsss for Vince to develop into a quality passer
3. Rashod Butler
4. At least 8 wins last year

Buffi2
08-19-2008, 09:29 AM

He is still a free agent, I think- if all else fails we could see him lumbering down the field once again!:gun: Although, goodness knows how many double burgers the man has eaten during training season.:winky:

HOU-TEX
08-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Yes..... Yes we do! :)

Negative.......:)

HJam72
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Pogative. :thinking:

HOU-TEX
08-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Pogative. :thinking:

Absolutely................NOT...:)

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Negative.......:)

Absolutely................NOT...:)

Absolutely............. Positive! :)

Ron Dayne was the finest RB in Texans history..... ;)

HJam72
08-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Ron Dayne was the finest RB in Texans history..... ;)

Correction: He was the finest SlumberBack in Texans history.

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
He is still a free agent, I think- if all else fails we could see him lumbering down the field once again!:gun: Although, goodness knows how many double burgers the man has eaten during training season.:winky:

That's his way of training (eating double cheeseburgers). Go ahead, pick on the fat guy if you must.

Seriously though I was totally dead right about Ahman Green from the instant that I heard about his signing with the Texans. Two things on that.

1. I really wish I hadn't been right about that. I would have loved to have been wrong on this one. For those of you who think we still have one year to see what happens just watch. The guy will barely play and that's IF he makes it out of training camp as a Texan.

2. It didn't exactly take Nostradamus to see what was going to happen here. I am the "Master of the Obvious" after all.

PapaL
08-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Absolutely............. Positive! :)

Ron Dayne was the finest buffet beater in Texans history..... ;)

Edited for correctness

HJam72
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
That's his way of training (eating double cheeseburgers). Go ahead, pick on the fat guy if you must.

Seriously though I was totally dead right about Ahman Green from the instant that I heard about his signing with the Texans. Two things on that.

1. I really wish I hadn't been right about that. I would have loved to have been wrong on this one. For those of you who think we still have one year to see what happens just watch. The guy will barely play and that's IF he makes it out of training camp as a Texan.

2. It didn't exactly take Nostradamus to see what was going to happen here. I am the "Master of the Obvious" after all.

Not Nostradamus, just Mastrobvious.

gary
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
You all might not like this but I really don't see a true risk in bringing back the D train.

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Dayne would be in camp if it were up to me. He's supposed to be done here but I really don't see his replacement yet. Slaton and Dayne would be a pretty good rotation in my opinion with the load eventually sliding mostly to Slaton's side by the end of the season. Maybe Brown will be able to be that guy or maybe the light comes on for Taylor. I don't know, something's got to happen though and I'm sure it will.

gary
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Dayne knows how to push the pile along and fight for yards.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Dayne knows how to push the pile along and fight for yards.

Yeah, he falls on people. :texflag:

Shaft75
08-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, he falls on people's legs.. :texflag:
Fixed...

Or........

Yeah, he ends careers.:texflag:

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 10:19 AM
Fixed...

Or........

It was an accident, could have happened to anybody.

So go ahead and subtract Dayne and give me your estimate of our running game and W/L column the past two years with Wali Lundy and Samkon Gado.

gary
08-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, he falls on people. :texflag:So. He gets yards if Green doesn't play much this season I'd much rather a vet than a unproven rookie.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I know Dayne was the best thing we had the last couple of years. I just hate to see this team keep going back to the same old "hope he can get us by" theory.

Don't know what thread it was on, but somebody mentioned how much better the roll-out passes are working with RBs that have more speed than him to the outside (meaning everybody). RBs have more effect on an offense than just that guaranteed 2.9 to 3.3 yards on every run and a cloud of dust. Ds don't have to respect Dayne as a threat to go outside at all.

I'm hoping Slaton will prove he can run between the tackles and we can draft a good RB next offseason (because Slaton will eventually wear down....I suspect).

TexansLucky13
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
I miss Ron "The Great Tenderizer" Dayne as well. I ain't afraid to say it.

gary
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
If Dayne gets three or four yards a carry than that would leave a 3rd and short.

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I know Dayne was the best thing we had the last couple of years. I just hate to see this team keep going back to the same old "hope he can get us by" theory.

Don't know what thread it was on, but somebody mentioned how much better the roll-out passes are working with RBs that have more speed than him to the outside (meaning everybody). RBs have more effect on an offense than just that guaranteed 2.9 to 3.3 yards on every run and a cloud of dust. Ds don't have to respect Dayne as a threat to go outside at all.

I'm hoping Slaton will prove he can run between the tackles and we can draft a good RB next offseason (because Slaton will eventually wear down....I suspect).

See, that's just it. How do you see us "going back to" that? We haven't left it unless we happen to see Slaton blow up like the second coming of Clinton Portis we've done nothing to break that pattern (yet). Dayne goes out, Brown comes in, Green stays hurt, the beat goes on. Clearly we're not ready to turn that corner yet and add a feature back (or we're trying to see if we can get one in the third round) and so why isn't Dayne here? He's exactly what we're doing this year (and a better option than either Ahman Green (got to get on the field if you want props), Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor right now without a doubt in my mind).

I'm not saying I want to root for Ron Dayne all year. I don't. I know he's not the answer to what we really need but he's not any worse than all of these guys and arguably is the only one who ever produced any long-term results for this team. How he managed to not get invited back for another vet minimum shot at making the team I'll never know.

Yes, get better than Ron Dayne. The Texans haven't made much of an effort to do that yet so until they do I'm going to keep bitching about how the best running back we've had for the last two years isn't in camp. When the Texans make a real move to get better than Dayne I'm all behind them. Is Chris Brown "Ron Dayne 2.0" and an upgrade over him? I sure hope so but he hasn't impressed me yet. So far he just looks like I guy we signed one or two years too late.

False Start
08-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I for some reason like Ron Dayne too. I know hes somewhere out there having champagne wishes and cheeseburger dreams.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/SuperJoint88/cheeseburger2.jpg

gary
08-19-2008, 11:40 AM
See, that's just it. How do you see us "going back to" that? We haven't left it unless we happen to see Slaton blow up like the second coming of Clinton Portis we've done nothing to break that pattern (yet). Dayne goes out, Brown comes in, Green stays hurt, the beat goes on. Clearly we're not ready to turn that corner yet and add a feature back (or we're trying to see if we can get one in the third round) and so why isn't Dayne here? He's exactly what we're doing this year (and a better option than either Ahman Green (got to get on the field if you want props), Darius Walker, or Chris Taylor right now without a doubt in my mind).

I'm not saying I want to root for Ron Dayne all year. I don't. I know he's not the answer to what we really need but he's not any worse than all of these guys and arguably is the only one who ever produced any long-term results for this team. How he managed to not get invited back for another vet minimum shot at making the team I'll never know.

Yes, get better than Ron Dayne. The Texans haven't made much of an effort to do that yet so until they do I'm going to keep bitching about how the best running back we've had for the last two years isn't in camp. When the Texans make a real move to get better than Dayne I'm all behind them. Is Chris Brown "Ron Dayne 2.0" and an upgrade over him? I sure hope so but he hasn't impressed me yet. So far he just looks like I guy we signed one or two years too late.Agreed.

Brandon420tx
08-19-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm going to make a bold baseless prediction.

Marcel Shipp makes the team and produces at least as well as Dayne did.

gary
08-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I sure hope you are right.

Thorn
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
None of the RBs we have right now look (at least to me anyway) to be the answer to our running game, including Slaton. We need to get a good one in the draft next year.

I think Slaton will give us some excitement this year, but I don't see how he is going to become a full time RB.

mexican_texan
08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
When I saw that we were about to sign Shipp, I wondered what Jonathan Wells is up to these days.

dalemurphy
08-19-2008, 11:57 AM

Yes, get better than Ron Dayne. The Texans haven't made much of an effort to do that yet so until they do I'm going to keep bitching about how the best running back we've had for the last two years isn't in camp. When the Texans make a real move to get better than Dayne I'm all behind them. Is Chris Brown "Ron Dayne 2.0" and an upgrade over him? I sure hope so but he hasn't impressed me yet. So far he just looks like I guy we signed one or two years too late.

I totally understand the casual or unobservant fan being confounded by the fact that we let the guy go that had the most statistical success for us the past two years.

I really don't understand (nor do I mean this as an insult) how guys like you, Hervoyel (I know you study the game and know what you're looking at), don't see how every back in camp right now offers value that Dayne could not.
All of them can stretch the play and theaten the edge. That is what allows the cut back, the boot leg, and all the misdirection which is a bench mark for this offense. The fact that Dayne could grind out 100 yards on a good day doesn't negate the fact that he was unable to threaten the defense with big play ability or threaten the area outside the hash marks. In today's NFL, the greatest value, IMO, of the running game is the freedom it creates for the passing game. Ron Dayne doesn't give the passing game any freedom- so, he's not here now.

Can you explain where you think I'm wrong, because I really would like to know why you think Ron Dayne belongs on this team. After all, it's not just nostalgia, right?

Shaft75
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
So go ahead and subtract Dayne and give me your estimate of our running game and W/L column the past two years with Wali Lundy and Samkon Gado.

You are talking about addition by subtraction...

Are you saying that our running game was good?

I don't know if I would stick up for any of our backs from the last two years. Because overall, we had no talent in the backfield. Well, besides a broken down Green.

Goldensilence
08-19-2008, 12:10 PM
To me right now it doesn't look so much as needing a guy to step in and carry the load as much as a guy to step up and compliment Steve Slaton.

I'm not counting on Green to be healthy that much I do know. All things considered the past few years we've had so many holes to fill. Smith and Kubiak have done an amazing job getting a 2-14 talentless team to a team with the capability to fight for a playoff spot in two years.

OzzO
08-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Mike

I think Herv and Dale are the only 2 that have actually answered the question without turning it into a "it would be right to... / running back" thread.

1. Matt Schaub would be a very good QB.
2. Mario Williams being a smart pick
2b. Reggie Bush was way over rated as a pro back.
2c. It would take yearsss for Vince to develop into a quality passer
3. Rashod Butler
4. At least 8 wins last year

...Seriously though I was totally dead right about Ahman Green from the instant that I heard about his signing with the Texans. ......

So what WERE you right about?

Personally, I've been right about very little - mainly due to following the masses (they're original thoughts on Carr, Capers, Bush...). If anything, I'm right that the masses (and ESPN) are usually wrong.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Heck, I can't think of anything I didn't change my mind about at least twice.

Well, OK, here's one (I guess):

Pendry will suck at OC and the guy he is replacing is a scapegoat.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm not so sure that Dayne is better than any of those guys when you consider what little threat he is to do anything but run straight ahead into an 8 man front for 3 yards. The D is just not kept honest with him on the field. They stack the box, he gets 3.3 yards anyway, and if we have to throw....well, Dayne has to pass block 8 guys, lol. OK, that's a rediculous exxageration, but the lack of concern for an outside run is a legitimate problem.

It's impressive that he can do a decent job at something when everyone is expecting it and waiting for him, but he is one-dimensional. I mean, he's pretty big around, but he's still one-dimensional. :)

I woudn't be too upset if they did bring him back for o o o o o o n e m oo o o o r e y e e e e e a r, but I wouldn't do it.

dalemurphy
08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Heck, I can't think of anything I didn't change my mind about at least twice.

Well, OK, here's one (I guess):

Pendry will suck at OC and the guy he is replacing is a scapegoat.

Oh, yeah, I was right about this too:

As I sat in the stands in that Pittsburgh fiasco week 2, 2005...I realized that we are going to be one of the worst NFL teams in the history of the salary cap era.

Of course, 3 weeks earlier I was calling for playoffs since we had won 7 games the year before and were clearly on the upswing. Up until that game, I was also comparing David Carr's 1st 3 years with Troy Aikman's first three years- believing that he was on the cusp of a very good career... but, this is the wrong thread for that.

dalemurphy
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm not so sure that Dayne is better than any of those guys when you consider what little threat he is to do anything but run straight ahead into an 8 man front for 3 yards. The D is just not kept honest with him on the field. They stack the box, he gets 3.3 yards anyway, and if we have to throw....well, Dayne has to pass block 8 guys, lol. OK, that's a rediculous exxageration, but the lack of concern for an outside run is a legitimate problem.

It's impressive that he can do a decent job at something when everyone is expecting it and waiting for him, but he is one-dimensional. I mean, he's pretty big around, but he's still one-dimensional. :)

I woudn't be too upset if they did bring him back for o o o o o o n e m oo o o o r e y e e e e e a r, but I wouldn't do it.

I would argue that our offense is better with Slaton in the game if he gets 15 carries for only 45 yards versus Ron Dayne getting 20 carries for 80 yards. That's really my point. I don't think yardage production tells the whole story in regards to effectiveness at HB.

Ole Miss Texan
08-19-2008, 01:09 PM

Mike

You should start one of these in the Draft section...

HJam72
08-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I was pretty big on getting Winston, but that was after I was big on this guy they didn't take and that guy they didn't take....and Winston's not our LT anyway.

gtexan02
08-19-2008, 01:23 PM
I was right about Chad Stanley being bad. And I got hella negative repped for it

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 01:29 PM
dalemurphy

Tell me about Darius Walker stretching the play and threatening the edge. Tell me about how you thought Chris Taylor looked the past two weeks doing that. How about Ahman Green? Has he actually "done" any of that yet in 2008? Has he done it in the past year? Green isn't even a threat to suit up much less get to the edge.

Right now I see Slaton as a possibility and Chris Brown as playing the Ron Dayne role in a somewhat faster package but the man is, just like Ahman Green before him a "hope" and not a certainty.

Without Dayne we remain unable to threaten the defense with big play ability (at this time). That being the case I'd be more comfortable with a guy I knew could grind out 100 yards on a good day. Either way we're looking at being a pass first offense this year and maybe someone we have will step up and excel in that role until we can get to the 2009 draft.

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2008, 01:30 PM
I was right about the Texans needing to get a big body at a DT/NT spot to be able to shield Demeco from blockers. We got Okam. Hopefully he'll grow into what we need.

I was wrong about Kubiak being able to salvage David Carr but once I got on the ABC bandwagon halfway through the season, I was right about them getting a replacement. I think I was right about our line not being as bad as DC made it look.

I was right about the 8-8 season last year.

I think I've been right about a few other things, too. :kingkong:

(And I've been wrong about more than a few things.)

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Once.. I thought I was wrong....... but I was mistaken.... :howdy:

GuerillaBlack
08-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I was right about Chad Stanley being bad. And I got hella negative repped for it

I forgot about that guy. I remember people had "Chad Stanley is God" signatures. Comedy.

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I forgot about that guy. I remember people had "Chad Stanley is God" signatures. Comedy.

Chad's not God???

:sarcasm:

hobie
08-19-2008, 01:57 PM
I said this a few years back that the Orange Lot ruled, and well as I write this, it is as true today as when I first wrote it !!

War Orange Lot, war Texans fans...I AM OUT !!!

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 02:06 PM
I said this a few years back that the Orange Lot ruled, and well as I write this, it is as true today as when I first wrote it !!

War Orange Lot, war Texans fans...I AM OUT !!!

YOU ARE OUT alright... Out of your mind!!

Any self-respecting Texans fans know that those of us that traded our Blue Spots for Platinum when they became available, were RIGHT!!

hobie
08-19-2008, 02:13 PM
YOU ARE OUT alright... Out of your mind!!

Any self-respecting Texans fans know that those of us that traded our Blue Spots for Platinum when they became available, were RIGHT!!

Parking lot nomads are what you are !! Next we'll be hearing ya say to us over in Orange that you are looking for a new place to dwell....First Blue, then Platinum, and the final resting place will be Orange. We will accept you TB, as that is who we are..

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Parking lot nomads are what you are !! Next we'll be hearing ya say to us over in Orange that you are looking for a new place to dwell....First Blue, then Platinum, and the final resting place will be Orange. We will accept you TB, as that is who we are..

Nomads??? We are the only ones that have our own spots.... If Platinum lot closes tomorrow, there is no way I'm moving to Orange. I've heard strange sausage stories about Orange Lot. And that's not evening mentioning FILO's balloon story....

hobie
08-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Nomads??? We are the only ones that have our own spots.... If Platinum lot closes tomorrow, there is no way I'm moving to Orange. I've heard strange sausage stories about Orange Lot. And that's not evening mentioning FILO's balloon story....

Yeah, start out in Blue, then move to Platinum..... Yeah, Nomads fits....

And those sausage stories are just like the Bigfoot myth, sure, people swear they have seen em, but no evidence is had !!

Texan_Bill
08-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, start out in Blue, then move to Platinum..... Yeah, Nomads fits....

And those sausage stories are just like the Bigfoot myth, sure, people swear they have seen em, but no evidence is had !!

We never moved. We stayed in the same place and they renamed it for us. ;)

Hard to find evidence when its usually swallowed.... :hobie:

hobie
08-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Hard to find evidence when its usually swallowed.... :hobie:

Well now, from what I hear the swallowers are in the yellow, we spit in the orange !!

Polo
08-19-2008, 02:44 PM
I've been right more often than wrong ;)

awtysst
08-19-2008, 02:58 PM

If all else fails, we can try him out as guard:)

Ole Miss Texan
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM

True... we can play him right next to Frank Okam. Cuz we all know if Okam doesn't work out at DT he's switching to Offensive Guard.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 03:07 PM

NOOOOOOOOOO!

You don't want him to take a step back in pass protection and.....
I don't want to think about it! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Let him play NT! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

KEYE SUX
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM
I was right when I told people that we were going to get rid of Carr. To bad it took several years after I said it to become true.

aj.
08-19-2008, 07:14 PM
dalemurphy

Tell me about Darius Walker stretching the play and threatening the edge. Tell me about how you thought Chris Taylor looked the past two weeks doing that. How about Ahman Green? Has he actually "done" any of that yet in 2008? Has he done it in the past year? Green isn't even a threat to suit up much less get to the edge.

Right now I see Slaton as a possibility and Chris Brown as playing the Ron Dayne role in a somewhat faster package but the man is, just like Ahman Green before him a "hope" and not a certainty.

Without Dayne we remain unable to threaten the defense with big play ability (at this time). That being the case I'd be more comfortable with a guy I knew could grind out 100 yards on a good day. Either way we're looking at being a pass first offense this year and maybe someone we have will step up and excel in that role until we can get to the 2009 draft.

I guess this means you're not grinning from ear to ear any more about our running game.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=957232&postcount=30

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I guess this means you're not grinning from ear to ear any more about our running game.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=957232&postcount=30

Yeah I think that's safe to say.

If I were running for President I'd be getting called a flip-flopper right about now. I might still be but that's fine. Things change and I'm reminded time and time again that none of us know as much as we think we do (and I'm certainly no exception to that).

Turns out we're really deep at ordinary. Preseason can really bring the reality home sometimes.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Hey, we currently rank 10th in rushing yardage, 1st in 3rd down conversion (59%), 14th in First down by rushing, 5th in TOP, 7th in TD scored, 4th in rushing TD scored.

So why the gloom and doom about the running game???

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Hey, we currently rank 10th in rushing yardage, 1st in 3rd down conversion (59%), 14th in First down by rushing, 5th in TOP, 7th in TD scored, 4th in rushing TD scored.

So why the gloom and doom about the running game???

Because we've SEEN what it looks like and believe me, stats are not telling the whole story here.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Also, if we take out the runs at the end of the half (Broncos) and the end of the game (Saints) to run out the time, plus the runs toward the end the Broncos game to both kill time and kick the FG, our rushing average would be 3.92 ypc, which is not shabby at all.

And that is without Green, while Chris Brown is still getting back to playing shape.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Because we've SEEN what it looks like and believe me, stats are not telling the whole story here.
There were times when they load the box and we still ran.

I also knows that at times a lineman would miss his assignment here and there. The O-line is still not in sync consistently.

And the hand-off to JJ also help bring down the average (since the number of total rushing attempts is still low).

As I mentioned before I don't expect the combination of Green and Brown to play more than a total of 12 games for us this year, so I ain't worry! :fans:

Shaft75
08-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Back on topic...

I was right for staying with my boy Mario after his rookie season. I wore my #90 jersey to several games and when someone spouted off, I always told them to come back and talk to me in a couple of seasons. I got in several arguments with a poster on here. I forget who it was, but they never came back to eat their crow.

dalemurphy
08-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah I think that's safe to say.

If I were running for President I'd be getting called a flip-flopper right about now. I might still be but that's fine. Things change and I'm reminded time and time again that none of us know as much as we think we do (and I'm certainly no exception to that).

Turns out we're really deep at ordinary. Preseason can really bring the reality home sometimes.

This is the product of being a lifetime Houston fan. I'm not cursed with such a history. I grew up a Cowboy fan, a Rockets fan, and an Atlanta Braves fan.

Therefore, I have some sense of optimism that just because things have been bad doesn't mean they'll always be bad. And, I can actually believe in the possibility of some good fortune and things turning out better than expected. I've learned that that muscle is severely atrophied in Houston lifers...

Yee of little faith, turn that frown upside down.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Trying, trying....ah, I can't do it. :yawn:

Kaiser Toro
08-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Carr being awful in April 2002
Gary Kubiak would be the next coach
Drafting Mario at #1
Drafting Winston at #2, gotta bargain

And for the future I will say that this team breaks the Texans Rushing record of 1,882 in 2004. A pre-emptive pound if you will.

76Texan
08-20-2008, 01:37 AM
This is the product of being a lifetime Houston fan. I'm not cursed with such a history. I grew up a Cowboy fan, a Rockets fan, and an Atlanta Braves fan.

Therefore, I have some sense of optimism that just because things have been bad doesn't mean they'll always be bad. And, I can actually believe in the possibility of some good fortune and things turning out better than expected. I've learned that that muscle is severely atrophied in Houston lifers...

Playing second fiddle to the Steelers in the mid-late 70s actually wasn't that hard. Hell, they only won 3 SBs in those 5 years.
If not for all the roid things that were going on in Steel Town, the Oilers would have advanced further in the play-offs.
We lost in the play-offs to the eventual SB winner 3 consecutive years, there's no shame in that.

The shame started when Bud Adams took out our legendary coach Bum Phillips in 1981.

Then he took the team out of town when we got another good coach in Fisher.

He's among the very very very small percentage of the earth populace that I would pin the term "heavily dislike" on. And I always try very hard not to even call anybody an *****!

Rant done! http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

But actually, I never cared for his antics.
We just kicked him out of town, bide our time, and we will rise again in football.

We have our basketball and soccer champs.
We've been very competitive in baseball for a non-hype market.
We send plenty Houstonians to the Olympics, to the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAA etc.

We IS proud! :specnatz:

Hervoyel
08-20-2008, 10:29 AM

No, it's really not. I'm very optimistic about any number of things about the Texans this season (just like I am every year) I'm excited about our QB play and I'm very optimistic about our DL this year. I think we're going to be better than 8-8 this year and I expect our OL to play very well. I just don't feel very good about our situation at RB right now. Going into the preseason I was hoping we would get one season out of Green and that we would be hunting a true feature RB (if Slaton didn't seize the job) in next years draft. Chris Brown I had (and still to some degree have) very high hopes for. I think he'll look pretty good in our offense if he can stay healthy.

Grew up a Cowboys fan eh? I'll be watching you.:bat:

dalemurphy
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Grew up a Cowboys fan eh? I'll be watching you.:bat:

Yeah but what a wonderful story of redemption. Born again in 1995! But I wandered in the fantasy football wilderness for 6 years before finding the Texans in 2001.