PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Ronnie Brown?

dalemurphy
08-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Okay, I'm not into making up hypothetical trades and fishing for big names that we "could" get in a trade to make our team look like a fantasy football menace.

Having said that, Mortenson reported that the Dolphins may be interested in trading away Ronnie Brown. I wouldn't consider that news except that Mortenson strings are pulled by Parcells.

I would be extremely interested in trading for Brown... Something in the neighborhood of a 2nd round pick and a conditional pick would be great... We would just have to make sure he gets a grueling and thorough physical.

Ronnie Brown is a beast!

What do you think?

Brandon420tx
08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
I'd do it .. for a 3rd and a conditional pick, not a second and a conditional pick, but only because I have him on one of my fantasy teams.

Edit: I'd never trade Sage ... but hypothetically ... Sage for Winfield and a 4th?

Lucky
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
There's no rumor about the Texans trading for Ronnie Brown. Which makes this a NFL topic.

If Brown is healthy, why would Parcells deal him? Sounds like damaged goods to me. And I'm not confident in the Texans ability to ascertain Brown's soundness after this grueling physical. Pass.

aj.
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm more interested in finding the next Ryan Grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the Browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome Harrison... unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/

beerlover
08-18-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm not interested in trading away any more 2nd rd. picks. can we please just keep one for a change? the last time the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick was 2006 & he turned out to be pretty good :specnatz:

dalemurphy
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
I'm not interested in trading away any more 2nd rd. picks. can we please just keep one for a change? the last time the Texans had a 2nd rd. pick was 2006 & he turned out to be pretty good :specnatz:

Sure, but those 2nd round picks in '07 and '08 were spent well, i think.

TexansLucky13
08-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Can't go wrong with an Auburn tailback.

dtran04
08-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately something is wrong if Ricky Williams is beating him out.

TexansLucky13
08-18-2008, 10:30 PM

It's all in the chronic, man.

:tease:

TheRealJoker
08-18-2008, 11:04 PM
i'm more interested in finding the next ryan grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome harrison... Unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/

+ 1

Texecutioner
08-18-2008, 11:50 PM

Exactly, a guy that comes in that hasn't played a full NFL season in several years now that has had his own injury issues and drug problems beats out a guy that was having a really good year before he got injured last year????

Sounds like damaged goods to me as well. We already have a lot of those.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-19-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm more interested in finding the next Ryan Grant - but only if he won't be a stick in the mud and demand a long term deal after playing in only 8 games or whatever it was. That 3rd stringer for the Browns looks pretty good to me.... Jerome Harrison... unfortunately he's one of their draft products and won't be cut in a couple of weeks/

Louis Rankin (Raiders) is another player at the bottom of his team's depth chart that, in the first two preseason games, looks like a pretty good player.

ChampionTexan
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
This is actually pretty interesting to me, although I don't think I'd give them next years #2, and that's probably what it would take. I think I'd either go with a 3rd that could become a 2nd based on performance, or I'd go with a 2nd in the 2010 draft. The reason for this is that even if things are progressing on track for Brown's ACL recovery, we're likely not going to be able to see how far back he's going to come until 2009, and unless he's the rare exception, he'll probably be able to play in '08, but won't be fully recovered from a performance standpoint.

That said, if he can recover to the extent numerous others have (Jamaal Lewis is the first that comes to mind quickly), he's a workhorse who could potentially be teamed with Slaton as a change of pace back, and provide us a very good backfield. I just don't think it improves us more than marginally for the coming season.

Kaiser Toro
08-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Trade for a RB that is in year 4 of a 5 year contract after coming off a knee injury? No thanks.

Interesting that both Williams and Brown have had significant injuries after going through a platoon system in Auburn together.

mexican_texan
08-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Ronnie Brown is a brutal running back, a perfect complement to Slaton.

GuerillaBlack
08-19-2008, 12:57 AM
Trade for a RB that is in year 4 of a 5 year contract after coming off a knee injury? No thanks.

Interesting that both Williams and Brown have had significant injuries after going through a platoon system in Auburn together.

You can't control what the knee do...

Carr Bombed
08-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Exactly, a guy that comes in that hasn't played a full NFL season in several years now that has had his own injury issues and drug problems beats out a guy that was having a really good year before he got injured last year????

Sounds like damaged goods to me as well. We already have a lot of those.

Not to down what your saying, but....Ricky Williams if he had his head on straight for his entire career would've been one of the alltime greats. If he's focused right now (even at this stage of his career) I could see how he could beat out a healthy Reggie Brown. (and no, I don't think Reggie Brown is healthy...I agree with you that there's something wrong with him right now) he's one of those guys that just makes you shake your head at the way he wasted all that great talent. Hell I still wouldn't be surprised if Ricky came in and was one of the best backs in the NFL through 6 or 7 games........then I wouldn't be surprised if he flunked a piss test in week 8. As a general sports fans that likes to watch great players it's so sad what that guy did to his career.

What's even sadder is when you see players like David Anderson who weren't blessed with the god given talent of a "Ricky Williams", but none the less they have to work their ass off......too bad you couldn't put a David Anderson like drive with a Ricky Williams' like talent, but I guess that's what makes the alltime greats.

JayCee
08-19-2008, 02:55 AM
from profootballtalk.com
END OF ROAD FOR RONNIE BROWN?
Posted by Mike Florio on August 18, 2008, 10:49 p.m.

At a time when the new regime in Miami is thinking about throwing overboard a second-round pick from 2007, could they also be contemplating parting ways with the No. 2 overall pick from the 2005 draft?

Per Chris Mortensen of ESPN (via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald), it’s possible that Fins tailback Ronnie Brown could be playing elsewhere in 2008.

Mort says that Brown has been “struggling” in the preseason. Meanwhile, Ricky Williams has been looking like he’s poised for a late-career rebirth.

Brown is due to earn a base salary of $3.65 million in 2008. Williams is scheduled to earn only $730,000.

If the Fins move Brown, it’s the surest sign of Bill Parcells’ intention to turn the organization upside down. And, frankly, it’s exactly what the organization needed.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 03:00 AM
That "whatever" attitude that Williams has toward football (and probably everything else in life) is exactly what marijuana does to the brain.

Corrosion
08-19-2008, 07:35 AM

If he was 100% healthy I'd agree with you but as others have already said , we have enough damaged goods at the RB spot as it is . I'm content to ride out the season with what we have now and maybe look to find a good back in next years draft ....

I'd rather build from within and save my salary cap , trade and FA bullets until the team is poised to make a serious run at winning it all. They may make the play-offs this season but I think its next season or the following that they are serious contenders to reach / win a Superbowl.

nunusguy
08-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Lets face it, we're still a year away from the playoffs so why consider trading Draft picks away for something like another vet running back this year, especially another one with injury issues ?

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
The Texans are right this minute in the final stages of their "Get other teams old and beat up running backs on the cheap" phase of their building/rebuilding. I don't see any reason to prolong this with a trade to bring in another question mark.

Next year I see the Texans grabbing a feature back to pair with Slaton (unless by some chance he actually emerges as that feature back) so there's no point in being the fools who Bill Parcells fleeced out of a 2 (or even a 3).

HOU-TEX
08-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Isn't this the same guy that went out of the game this past weekend with a sprained thumb?

A sprained thumb?? :rolleyes:

thunderkyss
08-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Ronnie Brown is a beast!

What do you think?

I'm more interested in trading for Ricky Williams. He's going to be a beast this year.

Write it down, mark my words, If Ricky is the Dolphins primary option, he will be the #1 FF running back.

But Ronnie Brown, I won't give up any picks.

I would give them Sage, and that Williams kid, or Darius Walker, or scratch that, here's my deal.

Sage Rosenfels & Rosevelt Colvin for Ronnie Brown. Heck, I'd throw in a conditional 7th round pick, conditionally upgraded to a second, if Ronnie gets 1200 yards.

Kaiser Toro
08-19-2008, 09:19 AM
The Dolphins do not want Sage - they drafted Henne and just picked up Pennington. Moreover, Beck is on the block and Sage has already been in Miami.

I like Ricky for fantasy this year.

Hooston Texan
08-19-2008, 09:22 AM
In what universe does a guy like Bill Parcells prefer someone like Ricky Williams? A guy who always seemed, at best, ambivalent about wanting to play the game--let alone wanting to win. Since when did Ricky become a Parcells guy?

(Yes, Parcells tolerated Lawrence Taylor's off-field issues, but LT always able managed to keep his off-field issues off-field; they never affected either his play or--just as important to the Tuna--his practice. Of course, it helped that he played before significant drug testing.)

But, to me, the fact that Parcells does indeed prefer Mrs. Ditka to Brown means there must be something very wrong with Brown. A healthy Brown is an ideal Parcells-type running back. Ricky may be, too, but you always have to wonder where his head is--and his stash, for that matter.

thunderkyss
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
The Dolphins do not want Sage - they drafted Henne and just picked up Pennington. Moreover, Beck is on the block and Sage has already been in Miami.

I like Ricky for fantasy this year.

Damn... you're right, I forgot about them adding Pennington.

But, to me, the fact that Parcells does indeed prefer Mrs. Ditka to Brown means there must be something very wrong with Brown. A healthy Brown is an ideal Parcells-type running back. Ricky may be, too, but you always have to wonder where his head is--and his stash, for that matter.

I don't know that there is anything in particular wrong with Ronnie Brown, Parcells, probably see more value in Brown, than he sees in Ricky. ON the field, there isn't much difference, but trade wise..... Ronnie will command the bigger ticket.

Parcell's & Ricky have been hitting it off, since he got there, and Ricky's career might have been totally different, if he went to a real organization, and not that joke of a franchise. From Management down, I don't think they have their heads on straight.

Sure, they look like they got their shiznits together now, but it won't last long.

Never does.

Brando
08-19-2008, 10:39 AM
It looks like Williams is trying to get his head on straight. Parcells might be the guy that Williams needed all along. He looks like he has bulked up to 230 pounds, the weight he was at in his prime. From what I hear he sounds like he is very determined. The question will still follow Ricky though....Can he stay clean? That's why the Dolphins should hold on to Brown. With most teams using the 2 back system getting rid of Brown makes zero sense to me. :twocents:

I'll be on record and say the Dolphins will rebound and win 6-7 games this year.

Texecutioner
08-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I'm more interested in trading for Ricky Williams. He's going to be a beast this year.

Write it down, mark my words, If Ricky is the Dolphins primary option, he will be the #1 FF running back.

But Ronnie Brown, I won't give up any picks.

I would give them Sage, and that Williams kid, or Darius Walker, or scratch that, here's my deal.

Sage Rosenfels & Rosevelt Colvin for Ronnie Brown. Heck, I'd throw in a conditional 7th round pick, conditionally upgraded to a second, if Ronnie gets 1200 yards.

No way Ricky would be the #1 fantasy RB. Their offense won't be moving up and down the field enough for him to get the TD's. They have no WR's at all, and Pennington can't stretch the field. Plus, Ricky has had his own injury issues in the last few years, nor has he proven that he can play a 16 game season without getting the injury bug or failing his drug tests.

He does look really good thus far though. I won't be surprised if he has a big season, but he won't be a better fantasy back then AP, LT, Westbrook, or Marshwn Lynch. No way.

hadaad
08-19-2008, 12:24 PM
In what universe does a guy like Bill Parcells prefer someone like Ricky Williams? A guy who always seemed, at best, ambivalent about wanting to play the game--let alone wanting to win. Since when did Ricky become a Parcells guy?

(Yes, Parcells tolerated Lawrence Taylor's off-field issues, but LT always able managed to keep his off-field issues off-field; they never affected either his play or--just as important to the Tuna--his practice. Of course, it helped that he played before significant drug testing.)

Parcells likes guys who respond to his coaching style. Guys like Terry Glenn and Keyshawn Johnson. All that I've read in the preseason quotes says that Ricky Williams is falling in with Parcells. And it's showing on the field.

gtexan02
08-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Parcells was with the Cowboys for a while. Maybe he picked up some... 'habits'... that he and ricky could share

Specnatz
08-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Parcells also likes draft picks. Besides if you can trade a guy who has never played a full season and get some value you do it. The Dolphins are going to suck this year and probably wind up with the #1 overall pick again. So the more picks you can get the quicker you can turn around the frnachise. Keeping Brown means nothing towards the long term for the Dolphins.

I would not want anything to do with Brown and his injuries and he was given to us.

Texan JBZ
08-19-2008, 01:49 PM

Absolutely! Pull the trigger on this one if we get the chance. Ask DeMeco what he thinks about Ronnie Brown