PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

pappy
08-17-2008, 10:37 AM
The defense is still a work in progress but they improved this week . While we looked better in the flats and up front the defensive backs were beaten . Slaton is the real deal and is far and away a starter at running back while the others need to show me more . We should all be aware that both of the teams we have played are possibly playoff teams this year and played well with very few mistakes . While we are watching this team play nearly penalty free games with very few injuries and some improvement every week the other teams in our division are struggling . They all are having significant injury problems and just not playing with any consistency .

Hervoyel
08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
The defense is still a work in progress but they improved this week . While we looked better in the flats and up front the defensive backs were beaten . Slaton is the real deal and is far and away a starter at running back while the others need to show me more . We should all be aware that both of the teams we have played are possibly playoff teams this year and played well with very few mistakes . While we are watching this team play nearly penalty free games with very few injuries and some improvement every week the other teams in our division are struggling . They all are having significant injury problems and just not playing with any consistency .

But why are they still a work in progress? This is their third year in Richard Smith's "system" isn't it? Buddy Ryan took Jim Eddy's defense and had them playing like the 1985 Chicago Bears in less than half a season but Richard Smith needs 3 years to implement his system?

I'm sorry but I call B.S. on Smith as a DC. He's maybe our one coach who I think really needs to get demoted or go out the door. The truly annoying thing about it is that he's got 2-3 guys technically working under him who would be upgrades over him at the DC spot.

TEXANRED
08-17-2008, 11:04 AM

As the defense goes, our starting front four is shutting down the run and getting some pressure on the QB. This Dline is looking dominant. Our LB's are still suspect, namely Morlon Greenwood. He keeps playing out of position and lets his man get open for big plays. Is Xavier even playing? Our secondary isnt all that bad, and I like what Reeves brings to the table. We are missing DRob and until he gets healthy we are going to give up some yards through the air. And of course, Demps is the man.

I am not ready to proclaim Slaton as the real deal yet. He definitely earned an opportunity to play with the 1's. I would like to see what he can do against the starting front 7 of the Cowboys. Slaton is an upgraded faster DD. Watch his legs when he gets hit, they never stop. Has he even been brought down on first contact yet?

I said this to my friend last night, we are a pass first offense. We are no where near the same type of system they ran in Denver. This is what the west coast O looks like and Schaub is doing a terrific job running it. I even compared us to the 49ers of the eighties. A little premature I know, but look what we are doing without AJ in the line up?

Our Oline, solid. Its preseason and not many people are blitzing, but they are doing a heck of a job pass protecting, run blocking needs improvement.

I love Alex Gibbs. Last night the camera zoomed in on a rather heated Gibbs talking passionately to Kubiak, and every time Kubiak tried to walk away Gibbs cut off the escape rout. It was awsome. I hope I am that spunky when I get older.

I want Jones to succeed very much badly, but sadly I don't think its gong to happen. If he were a 7th round pick he would have been cut by now.

dalemurphy
08-17-2008, 11:05 AM
But why are they still a work in progress? This is their third year in Richard Smith's "system" isn't it? Buddy Ryan took Jim Eddy's defense and had them playing like the 1985 Chicago Bears in less than half a season but Richard Smith needs 3 years to implement his system?

I'm sorry but I call B.S. on Smith as a DC. He's maybe our one coach who I think really needs to get demoted or go out the door. The truly annoying thing about it is that he's got 2-3 guys technically working under him who would be upgrades over him at the DC spot.

Unfortunately, I think you may be right. However, I don't think we can grade him on the preseason. We won't know for sure until October. I'm holding out a fool's hope that the defense will play up to potential.

Number19
08-17-2008, 11:09 AM
...I said this to my friend last night, we are a pass first offense...I agree. At the same time you were posting this, I posted the same thought on another thread. In this scheme, Slaton could carry the load as the #1 back.

Chicagotexan1
08-17-2008, 11:48 AM
We lost power for the entire 2nd quater. RELAINT SUX DONKEY B***S. Those are my thoughts.

jb66er
08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
As the defense goes, our starting front four is shutting down the run and getting some pressure on the QB. This Dline is looking dominant. Our LB's are still suspect, namely Morlon Greenwood. He keeps playing out of position and lets his man get open for big plays. Is Xavier even playing? Our secondary isnt all that bad, and I like what Reeves brings to the table. We are missing DRob and until he gets healthy we are going to give up some yards through the air. And of course, Demps is the man.

I am not ready to proclaim Slaton as the real deal yet. He definitely earned an opportunity to play with the 1's. I would like to see what he can do against the starting front 7 of the Cowboys. Slaton is an upgraded faster DD. Watch his legs when he gets hit, they never stop. Has he even been brought down on first contact yet?

I said this to my friend last night, we are a pass first offense. We are no where near the same type of system they ran in Denver. This is what the west coast O looks like and Schaub is doing a terrific job running it. I even compared us to the 49ers of the eighties. A little premature I know, but look what we are doing without AJ in the line up?

Our Oline, solid. Its preseason and not many people are blitzing, but they are doing a heck of a job pass protecting, run blocking needs improvement.

I love Alex Gibbs. Last night the camera zoomed in on a rather heated Gibbs talking passionately to Kubiak, and every time Kubiak tried to walk away Gibbs cut off the escape rout. It was awsome. I hope I am that spunky when I get older.

I want Jones to succeed very much badly, but sadly I don't think its gong to happen. If he were a 7th round pick he would have been cut by now.

Good post Red, I was impressed with Bennett last night as well, I cant wait for him and DRob in the secondary together, but I don't think Reeves makes the cut.

Jacoby had a rough game, but with his speed and what we've invested in him, I don't think he has to worry too much about his job, especially after losing Mathis.

I'm really liking Slaton over Taylor and Walker, he will likely go to the PS until Brown and/or Green gets hurt (its only a matter of time)

I think I was most impressed by Schaub's accuracy and decision making, he looked like a true team leader in control.

nunusguy
08-17-2008, 12:25 PM
My very first look at Moulton and I was impressed with him physically: tall with very long arms and excellent speed, physique wise & athletically he's not that much unlike Bennent which is good. I know he got beat, but it was his first NFL game action so he's getting an opportunity to learn and build confidance.

axman40
08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Bring on the Cowboys!
:fans:

GP
08-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately, I think you may be right. However, I don't think we can grade him on the preseason. We won't know for sure until October. I'm holding out a fool's hope that the defense will play up to potential.

Richard is consistent: His defense plays conservative, safe, and takes no risks with the blitz for the first 12 games...and then, he turns them loose for the final four games of the year--Saving his job every time.

How is it that us fans can see this, that it's CONSISTENT, and yet Smithiak doesn't? (Sigh).

We have a weakest link, and it's not any of our players.

Does Richard Smith have some dirt on Smithiak? All I can figure is that there's some extortion going on here.

TEXANRED
08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Richard is consistent: His defense plays conservative, safe, and takes no risks with the blitz for the first 12 games...and then, he turns them loose for the final four games of the year--Saving his job every time.

How is it that us fans can see this, that it's CONSISTENT, and yet Smithiak doesn't? (Sigh).

We have a weakest link, and it's not any of our players.

Does Richard Smith have some dirt on Smithiak? All I can figure is that there's some extortion going on here.

We are just giving the DLine time to Gel. And its not Smith's fault that DRob is out for the year.......

Richard Smith, you are the weakest link, Goodbye.

Brandon420tx
08-17-2008, 12:43 PM
One thing I've noticed is. When we blitz, its easy to tell we're going to blitz, Our guys jump, creep, and send all types of messages of "HEY!! I'm coming to get youz!!" I have yet to see someone who looks like they're getting ready to blitz ... not blitz, nor have I seen someone blitz who I didn't think was about to blitz.

stiff
08-17-2008, 12:46 PM
If we are going to pass to set up the run Slaton could very well be the answer. If he keeps improving I beleive he will be on the squad come opening weekend. I do not think that the Texans will be able to stash him on the PS without someone picking him up.

Slaton looked pretty good in pass protection I believe it was the 3rd down completion to DA that he looked really good.

At this point I could see either Green or Brown getting cut if they cannot pick up the pace.

I like how all of our QBs can step in and make plays. Even Brink looked serviceable on the goal line passing out of trouble in the 4th Quarter.

JJ was electric last year but in 2 pre-season games he has had 3 fumbles. It doesnt matter how electric you are back there if you cannot hang on to the ball your career will not be long in the NFL. If they do not keep 6 WRs JJ may be the one to go. That would allow the Texans to carry an extra RB.

GP
08-17-2008, 12:49 PM

Haven't seen the game yet, so I can't really dispute what you're saying.

However....after reading through the posts of other people here, what you're reporting isn't exactly matching up with what others have observed.

I've been reading that we DIDN'T get pressure on the QB, and that Reeves was consistently picked on (giving up too much ground, and not playing well).

I am excited to watch the replay on Monday and to try and see things for the first time, but with an eye toward trying to see some of the things that all of ya'll are noting in these threads.

Revolution
08-17-2008, 12:50 PM
One thing I've noticed is. When we blitz, its easy to tell we're going to blitz, Our guys jump, creep, and send all types of messages of "HEY!! I'm coming to get youz!!" I have yet to see someone who looks like they're getting ready to blitz ... not blitz, nor have I seen someone blitz who I didn't think was about to blitz.

What I do not understand is that people never learn about preseason. We not only run vanilla offense and defense, sometimes we do things on purpose. Badly disguised blitzes being one of them. I've seen it plenty over the years...

Brandon420tx
08-17-2008, 12:54 PM
What I do not understand is that people never learn about preseason. We not only run vanilla offense and defense, sometimes we do things on purpose. Badly disguised blitzes being one of them. I've seen it plenty over the years...

I understand that, believe me, I've been making its preseason folks posts for a few days now.

But I saw this with the blitzes last year too. We'll see what happens vs. Pitt

aj.
08-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Buddy Ryan took Jim Eddy's defense and had them playing like the 1985 Chicago Bears in less than half a season ...

Jim Eddy's '92 defense was top 10 in the NFL against the run and in points allowed; and top 5 in total yards allowed. It's not like Ryan was forced to make chicken salad out of chicken shit - despite what happened in Eddy's last game.

Richard Smith clearly inherited chicken shit, but that said, two years of free passes are enough.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2008, 01:19 PM
If we are going to pass to set up the run Slaton could very well be the answer. If he keeps improving I beleive he will be on the squad come opening weekend. I do not think that the Texans will be able to stash him on the PS without someone picking him up.

Slaton looked pretty good in pass protection I believe it was the 3rd down completion to DA that he looked really good.

Even before preseason started, there was no way that Slaton didn't make the opening day roster. There was a slight question about whether he was going to be activated for duty or not but that's about it. Third and Fourth round draft choices don't make it to the PS. As soon as they're waived, someone picks them up.

But I want to see him with our 1's before we give him the starting spot. Although, frankly, I can't imagine he's going to be much worse than what we've seen so far from Green/Brown/Taylor.

whiskeyrbl
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
[QUOTE=TEXANRED;974559]As the defense goes, our starting front four is shutting down the run and getting some pressure on the QB. This Dline is looking dominant. Our LB's are still suspect, namely Morlon Greenwood. He keeps playing out of position and lets his man get open for big plays. Is Xavier even playing? Our secondary isnt all that bad, and I like what Reeves brings to the table. We are missing DRob and until he gets healthy we are going to give up some yards through the air. And of course, Demps is the man.

Our Dline looks good but nowhere near dominant right now. Morlon does look suspect right now,and yes X-man has been playing and looked pretty good. But what exactly has Reeves done that looks good? All I see is Faggins II when I watch him. Look for Molden to move to starter fairly early til D-Rob comes back.

whiskeyrbl
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
My very first look at Moulton and I was impressed with him physically: tall with very long arms and excellent speed, physique wise & athletically he's not that much unlike Bennent which is good. I know he got beat, but it was his first NFL game action so he's getting an opportunity to learn and build confidance.

His name is spelled Molden.

threetoedpete
08-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Let me edit this for you...they send five no one gets there. When the beast is out their pass rush is dung. The push is so bad we make anyone look like Steve Young. ..that's it in a nut shell.

Slaton is an under sized back who'll only have three to five years of service if you give him more than eighteen carries a game. He is clearly the most talented back they have. He's got one good blitz pick up under his belt...that's one more than Criss Taylor has.

Reeves is a safety not a corner. They press Molden into service like they did with Jacoby Jones last year...they'll be in the same boat next summer with Molden. Reeves doesn't have the speed to make up the distance when he is beaten off the line. A younger Petie with more up side. They paid him...put lip stick on him and load up the wagons.

The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the plays off by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint.Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2008, 02:01 PM
The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the plays off by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint.Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.

I'm speechless.

I don't know if I've disagreed with any of your posts more than I disagree with this and I've disagreed with a lot of your posts.

Thorn
08-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Huh? What? Destroying our team?

That's Ridiculous in the extreme. Not that they haven't made some mistakes, but they are building a playoff team with good players.

threetoedpete
08-17-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm speechless.

I don't know if I've disagreed with any of your posts more than I disagree with this and I've disagreed with a lot of your posts.

Well....I stand by my posts...and you'd be well advised to think before you hurl rocks. I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty. The coach and GM are pressing. And only bad things will happen when they do that. The only thing we can count on at this point is we have a Qb and WR and one defensive end and a MLB...everything else is up in the air. This thing could collapse and find ourselves standing at ground zero once again very quickly. And it's going to happen so fast you won't have time to get a nose bleed when it happens. What I think about you PN is you're very young.

Thorn
08-17-2008, 02:20 PM
I think you are being to hard on them, really. We are a 500 team in the toughest division in football, and looking up.

Revolution
08-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Let me edit this for you...they send five no one gets there. When the beast is out their pass rush is dung. The push is so bad we make anyone look like Steve Young. ..that's it in a nut shell.

Slaton is an under sized back who'll only have three to five years of service if you give him more than eighteen carries a game. He is clearly the most talented back they have. He's got one good blitz pick up under his belt...that's one more than Criss Taylor has.

Reeves is a safety not a corner. They press Molden into service like they did with Jacoby Jones last year...they'll be in the same boat next summer with Molden. Reeves doesn't have the speed to make up the distance when he is beaten off the line. A younger Petie with more up side. They paid him...put lip stick on him and load up the wagons.

This is probably one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever seen. You are entitled to your opinion, but most of your points are baseless. The only point that has ANY validity is the point about Reeves and the GM has stated he took a chance because of what was available. A calculated risk that needed to be taken and those sometimes fail. Smith's record overall is very good.

A cornerback can start early in his career. Different situation than a WR.

Slaton is bigger than Tiki Barber among many other RBs with long careers. Mr. McNair needs to come down from on high?

Mr. McNair is a class individual and should not be subjected to such drivel...

You really need to wake up from your slumber. We are not in the Capers/Casserly era any longer.

Pantherstang84
08-17-2008, 02:28 PM

That's our TTP. :gun:

Honoring Earl 34
08-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Well....I stand by my posts...and you'd be well advised to think before you hurl rocks. I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty. The coach and GM are pressing. And only bad things will happen when they do that. The only thing we can count on at this point is we have a Qb and WR and one defensive end and a MLB...everything else is up in the air. This thing could collapse and find ourselves standing at ground zero once again very quickly. And it's going to happen so fast you won't have time to get a nose bleed when it happens. What I think about you PN is you're very young.

OK ... I don't see it . How do you think they are they pressing ?

Pressing is the 49ers signing Nate Clement for 80 million and trading a 1st pick to New England for Joe Staley . We signed Reeves for to much but it was'nt a ton , and I think he's better than Jason David FWIW .

Reeves best asset is his speed , his problem is he's not real good with the ball around . Reeves will get passed up in time but for now he'll play until Molden and Dunta are ready .

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2008, 02:35 PM
What I think about you PN is you're very young.

How old do you think I am, Pete? I mean, our ages are pretty clearly displayed. Do the math.

We finally have a team that's reaching respectability and you're calling for the heads of our HC and GM? Why? Because they're pushing players to play up to their potential and trying as hard as they can to make it to the playoffs? That's crazy talk.

threetoedpete
08-17-2008, 02:46 PM
They are like any other coach and GM. They are in the middle of their contracts and wondering if they're is going to make a year seven.

ok Earl...You make the Call on the pass rush...the lack of -pressure from the line backers and the off end(s)....On Reeves....on the lack of athleticism from the safeties....every one of those things have been reaches/gambles by this staff. And so far the evidence says they've failed. They are taking a bunch of calculated gambles and they aren't making it. You tell me. you're telling me 10-6...I'm looking for it . I don't see it.

They pressed to give every one a play off run. They did it quick instead of right.

Hervoyel
08-17-2008, 03:33 PM

I got your new avatar ready man.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/IBAR.gif

Lucky
08-17-2008, 03:35 PM
They are like any other coach and GM. They are in the middle of their contracts and wondering if they're is going to make a year seven.
Um, Rick Smith signed an extension in June (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5815984.html) that should keep him in Houston through the 2012 season.

Oh, you can have this back.

http://thelastman.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/shovel.jpg

GlassHalfFull
08-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I got your new avatar ready man.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/IBAR.gif

Damn, Herv. Now that football season is here and your brilliance really gets to shine, you are going to have a gazillion rep points by Dec. I just tried to rep you again, but no go, I have to spread it around.

steelbtexan
08-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Pete

They signed Reeves on the cheap to give Molden a chance to grow like they did with Bennett.

i agree with you about the LB's they are either really slow or out of position most of the time. We do need another pass rusher & LB's that can time their blitzes better. I wish Adibi could get more playing time. Greenwood is a waste of time & money IMO.

The safties are adequate & would look much better with a pass rush.

Slaton is the best back we have right now. If you are right & he only lasts 3-5 years as an every down back this buys us some time to fill other holes (DE LB CB S) I noticed that Kenton Keith is running 4th team with Indy right now. If he gets cut would you pick him up & who would you cut?

We should be in good cap shape next year from what I've read. (In The Bulls eye).

I think Mr. Mc Nair made a good hire in Smithiak the record has improved every year. Although I expect them to take a step back next year. This will lead to the firing of Richard Smith. Ray Rhodes will take over as DC & I hope they hire Aaron Glenn (after they fire Hoke as well). Aggie connections.

steelbtexan
08-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Very funny Lucky

Smithiak are signed up past the 7 year window Pete is talking about.

Pete did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? It was only a preseason game.

IlliniJen
08-17-2008, 04:14 PM
How old do you think I am, Pete? I mean, our ages are pretty clearly displayed. Do the math.

We finally have a team that's reaching respectability and you're calling for the heads of our HC and GM? Why? Because they're pushing players to play up to their potential and trying as hard as they can to make it to the playoffs? That's crazy talk.

Okay, so I'm not the only one feeling like they just took crazy pills reading TTP's assessment of our coach and GM?

Honoring Earl 34
08-17-2008, 04:42 PM

ok Earl...You make the Call on the pass rush...the lack of -pressure from the line backers and the off end(s)....On Reeves....on the lack of athleticism from the safeties....every one of those things have been reaches/gambles by this staff. And so far the evidence says they've failed. They are taking a bunch of calculated gambles and they aren't making it. You tell me. you're telling me 10-6...I'm looking for it . I don't see it.

They pressed to give every one a play off run. They did it quick instead of right.

They only have so many draft picks ... so what do they do ... they get vets who they hope have a year or two left . These are also good clubhouse guys to show the young guys the ropes and their not making a ton of money .

They are hoping between Brown and Green they get one RB . The same with Colvin and Thompson at LB/DE . They did'nt sign Weaver or Greenwood to the big money that was CC .

KEYE SUX
08-17-2008, 05:27 PM
As far as bad decisions or pushing too hard, the biggest mistakes that I can think of only involve RB position. We choose people that are injury prone, aging, or never has beens. (Dayne, Green, Brown) Dayne is gone already. I would rather keep the young guys (Taylor, Walker, Slaton) and build from there. Just my opinion

The Pencil Neck
08-17-2008, 05:37 PM
As far as bad decisions or pushing too hard, the biggest mistakes that I can think of only involve RB position. We choose people that are injury prone, aging, or never has beens. (Dayne, Green, Brown) Dayne is gone already. I would rather keep the young guys (Taylor, Walker, Slaton) and build from there. Just my opinion

It was nice to hear Kubes say that Slaton was going to get some reps with the 1's.

GP
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
TTP:

I have been in your spot before: The spot of thinking that things are badly broken. And I know it's hard to break away from that line of thinking once you get started on it. Trust me, I know...just look at my Sage/Schaub posts over the summer.

I think the biggest knock on Kubiak this far is this: He came onto the scene after the Capers/Casserly era. Talk about a complete wreck! There was nothing but ashes and smoldering twigs left.

I don't like the RB situation. It stinks, and Ahman Green was a gamble that isn't paying off. BUT...it was at least a logical gamble, which is more sane than Capers/Casserly's efforts along the same line of rationale.

I wanted Mendehall/or Chris Johnson/or Felix Jones more than Duane Brown, but my goodness we have a rookie LT who is holding down the fort and keeping Schaub on the field. Duane might not be helping the ground game right now, but he's paying off in terms of pass protection. That's a gamble that appears to be paying dividends already. It wasn't a sexy pick, and could have even been labeled a reach by most experts...but, it's looking to be an OK pickup thus far. And LTs don't need long to get exposed, even if it's a preseason game.

My advice to you is to take a breather and sit a few plays out. You're a fan, so don't think I am saying you're not. But you ARE a very agitated fan right now. I needed time off from this place, and maybe you need a day or so. Just a suggestion.

Heck, us beating the "stacked" Cowboys in a few days will perk you up.

ReliantTexan
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE] I can see what is around the corner and it isn't pretty

Well I'm glad one of us can.:winky: And would you care to explain how we've been "pressing".

TK_Gamer
08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Well pete, Casserly and company left Smithiak about 3/4 of a team that were all average at best. How do you replace 30 guys in 2 years? you don't. They have added plenty of young talented players that have grown alot, individually and as a unit.

Demeco Ryans, Fred bennett, Owen Daniels, Kevin Walter, Earl Cochran, Amobi Okoye, David Anderson, Steve Slaton, Duane Brown, Zach Diles, Vonta Leach, Eric Winston, Kasey Studdard, Mike Briesel and maybe Molden, and Adibi, we'll see. add the first Mario Williams and Then Matt Schaub and that's 18 very Promissing young players.

That's 1/3 of a team, I think I'll give em some more time.....

TEXANRED
08-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Haven't seen the game yet, so I can't really dispute what you're saying.

However....after reading through the posts of other people here, what you're reporting isn't exactly matching up with what others have observed.

I've been reading that we DIDN'T get pressure on the QB, and that Reeves was consistently picked on (giving up too much ground, and not playing well).

I am excited to watch the replay on Monday and to try and see things for the first time, but with an eye toward trying to see some of the things that all of ya'll are noting in these threads.

Ya I know. There are some who have a different opinion on what they are seeing. Its just preseason. Typicaly a defense will bring in there base D, a few stunts, and a hand full of blitzes and coverage schemes will be simple.

So during preseason I look for who is hustling, getting an up field push, keeping contain.

Bush had a 12 yard run on Williams' side but if you look at the replay Mario was was getting mugged at the time.

Reeves has done a pretty good job for us. He gave up one big play (but so did Bennett and Molden). The other plays people are talking about was a blown assignment by Greenwood leaving both Bush and there TE open. Unfortunately for Reeves he was hustling back to the ball and the last player people saw at the end of the play so they are assuming that was his fault.

I thought our guys did a pretty good job over the last few weeks. Friday will be the real test when we prepare like its a real game.

ObsiWan
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
this is very true. The only time I heard Amobi's name called was for defensive holding (which was B/S by the way). According to the stats, T.J. made one tackle; Weaver made none. Okam's name was not on the stat sheet either. Bulman rang up the only sack. Mario was in Brees' face at least three times and was the one who caused him to throw that wounded duck -which should have nullified the pass interference call on Reeves.

No argument here. I will say that Chris Brown pushed the pile and made what looked to be no gainers (because of the lack of O-line push) into 3-4 yd pickups. I see either Brown or Green (he hasn't been cut just yet) as the starter and Slaton as the 3rd down guy.

Reeves looks like a guy who's thinking more than he's playing when he's covering. He's done okay in run support but you can tell he's still thinking about where he's supposed to be in the cover schemes. I'd like to see Molden up with the ones for a few snaps too... I think Molden will handle the step up in competition better than Jacoby has. And that's just a feeling, nothing except training camp observations to base that on.

The one who needs to come down from on high here is Mr. McNair. His head coach and GM are destroying his team trying to give him and the fans what they want...the playoffs by hook or crook. This thing is a marathon not a sprint. Only thing quick will get you is cap head aches.

a) The David Carr experience should let you know that McNair does well to minimize his influence on football decisions.
b) I know what you meant. Build thru the draft. But there are only seven rounds in any given draft so you have to try and fill some holes thru F/A. The only F/As I have any issues with are Green and Weaver; although Colvin is trying my patience. Schaub, Davis, Demps and other have all worked out quite nicely, thank you, so its not like they're batting 0.000.
c) I don't think Rick will put out a contract that leaves us in cap hell. Can anyone identify a Smith contract that does?? Most have been incentive-based with just enough guaranteed money that we land the guy but not so much that he cannot be cut.

Yes, its going to take time. But McNair should stay out of picking players. We've seen how good he is at that.