PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers quite a steal

aj.
08-16-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/2008_08_15_Dom_Capers_quite_a_steal:_Coaching_vet_ bolsters_secondary/srvc=patriots&position=1

I know that when your title is 'special assistant' you're not making much money, so maybe from that standpoint ... but ...

So Dom, how's the secondary looking?

"I'll say this ... We're just trying to improve every day."

Thanks Coach, talk to you next week.

"Always good to be with you guys."

Great guy and I wish it would have worked out for him here, but his inner circle of coaching buddies was pretty weak and that's not a good thing when you're so loyal (at time to a fault) to your own. I don't think the players ever bought into his system - even in the 'best' year (except for a few days after that first game ever, maybe). Sprinkle in a little GM incompetence, poor scouting, and lack of talent. Bake for 4 years and out pops 18-46. Ahh the good old days.

eriadoc
08-16-2008, 09:26 AM
There was plenty of blame to go around during the Capers era, but the one thing that put me in the Fire Capers pink soap club was the reality that players came here and got worse. It happened over and over. Very few players came here and got better. Some actually came here, got worse, then left and got better. Under this coaching staff, you can actually see players get better from one year to the next. Mix that in with smart scouting and intelligent drafting, and we've started to recover from C&C.

CloakNNNdagger
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Is it just my observation that it seems every step in Capers' journey through the NFL has led to a lesser and lesser status.........and with every step down he is heralded as the "second coming." His retirement should bring accolades beyond belief.

beerlover
08-16-2008, 10:05 AM
the Patriots have big heads if they beleive the secondary is going to be much improved with Capers less Asante Samuels. not sure but either Capers has lousy timing or poor instincts himself :brickwall:

Wolf
08-16-2008, 10:40 AM
saw on TV they signed John Lynch for a one year deal at about million and a half

WWJD
08-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Ah come on guys.

He's a fine coach and a fine man.

He's no longer here but he left with dignity and class.

And Bill doesn't hire losers...his staff is top notch. That team won't lose a step with Coach Capers being an assistant there.

Double Barrel
08-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Ah come on guys.

He's a fine coach and a fine man.

He's no longer here but he left with dignity and class.

And Bill doesn't hire losers...his staff is top notch. That team won't lose a step with Coach Capers being an assistant there.

He is a good man. But, 2-14 wants to disagree with your 'fine coach' assessment. ;)

ChampionTexan
08-16-2008, 12:51 PM
The guy has had tremendous success everywhere he's been with the significant exception of when he was the head coach.

He's never been a DC where his defense didn't rank in the top 5 in the NFL at some point during his tenure. Miami went from the 18th ranked defense in '05 to the 4th ranked Defense in '06 (5th ranked scoring Defense).

So to say the man not an NFL Head Coach is a darn defensible position. To say he can't coach in the NFL absolutely isn't.

WWJD
08-16-2008, 12:55 PM
He is a good man. But, 2-14 wants to disagree with your 'fine coach' assessment. ;)

I'll stick by what I said...he's a fine coach. His tenure here was not successful but he's never going to have trouble finding a job in the NFL. DB quit! Ha! You get me everytime!

Wolf
08-16-2008, 12:58 PM
What I didn't understand while Capers was here

Capers likes a strong defense and a running game, yet we drafted a QB and WRs early, no OL or RB

Now I know we were starting out and RB has the shortest span but, seemed drafting philosophy and coaching philosophy was like putting a square peg in a round hole.

I am not saying this as hindsight is 20/20, (I am not sure if archives go back to the BC (before Carr) or if texans talk calendar decided to keep everything AD(after David) on the info

Double Barrel
08-16-2008, 01:12 PM
The guy has had tremendous success everywhere he's been with the significant exception of when he was the head coach.

He's never been a DC where his defense didn't rank in the top 5 in the NFL at some point during his tenure. Miami went from the 18th ranked defense in '05 to the 4th ranked Defense in '06 (5th ranked scoring Defense).

So to say the man not an NFL Head Coach is a darn defensible position. To say he can't coach in the NFL absolutely isn't.

yep, I'd agree with your last statement.

I'll stick by what I said...he's a fine coach. His tenure here was not successful but he's never going to have trouble finding a job in the NFL. DB quit! Ha! You get me everytime!

I'm psychologically scarred from 2005!! That was a most brutal sporting season to experience, especially when you have a policy of staying until 0:00 is on the clock. I remember not having a lead in our first six games like it was three years ago. :crazy:

Vinny
08-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Dom is a great guy to have following orders but in charge he just doesn't have what it takes. Part of it is what aj pointed out in the first post is his loyalty to a fault, but that is why he is such a good soldier and great guy to have taking orders. I think he is a great asset to any team but only if he doesn't have too much authority.

awtysst
08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Dom is a great guy to have following orders but in charge he just doesn't have what it takes. Part of it is what aj pointed out in the first post is his loyalty to a fault, but that is why he is such a good soldier and great guy to have taking orders. I think he is a great asset to any team but only if he doesn't have too much authority.

I think you nailed it Vinny. Capers is not cut out to be the General but he can be a very good Major.

WWJD
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
yep, I'd agree with your last statement.

I'm psychologically scarred from 2005!! That was a most brutal sporting season to experience, especially when you have a policy of staying until 0:00 is on the clock. I remember not having a lead in our first six games like it was three years ago. :crazy:

Ha! Yea bad games that you PAY to watch are damaging!

When I had season tickets to the Cowboys we never left early either. I remember one brutal 44-0 beatdown the Bears put on us..maybe their SB year...but gosh yea you get scarred!

bollocks
08-16-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't put all of the blame on Capers. In fact, I wouldn't put more than 1/4th of it on Capers. Carr's inability to progress into an NFL caliber QB, general lack of talent across the board, poor supporting staff, Charlie Casserly, etc..

Capers was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd bet you all 1,000,000$ that he would be a better defensive coordinator for this team than Richard Smith is currently.

Given the tools needed for success, Capers is a wonderful coach.

eriadoc
08-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't put all of the blame on Capers. In fact, I wouldn't put more than 1/4th of it on Capers. Carr's inability to progress into an NFL caliber QB, general lack of talent across the board, poor supporting staff, Charlie Casserly, etc..

Capers was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'd bet you all 1,000,000$ that he would be a better defensive coordinator for this team than Richard Smith is currently.

Given the tools needed for success, Capers is a wonderful coach.

Of course there is blame to go around. However, it's easy to see the contrast with the staff we have now and their progression as players versus when Capers was in charge. Players only got worse under his tutelage.

hadaad
08-21-2008, 06:17 PM
So, if Capers does well here, goes on to another head coaching gig and succeeds for years, does he fall under the Bill Bellicheck Coaching tree?