PDA

View Full Version : O Line looking solid...

RED_ROOSTER
08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Especially with Duane Brown and Eric Winston....then Kasey Studdard. The Texans gots some real protection power there, look for a much improved season with some rookie faults here and there but that O-Line looks great.

gary
08-12-2008, 02:55 PM
It's too bad the running game is not as great.

NBT
08-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Patience

gary
08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
I've said this before the Texans have all the tools in place besides their running game.

RED_ROOSTER
08-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Patience

It's too bad the running game is not as great.

everything will come together well...

BornOrange
08-12-2008, 06:01 PM
The offensive line did a good job in pass protection against the Broncos.

Pass Blocking----A-
Run Blocking-----D
Final Grade------C

RED_ROOSTER
08-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Pass Blocking----A-
Run Blocking-----D
Final Grade------C

sounds about right...

Thorn
08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
The run blocking will improve, to what degree I don't think we can predict, but I think it's safe to assume it will.

Seņor Stan
08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
everything will come together well...

Here is a link to an interview with Eric "Geico" Winston...

Winston interview (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-3-59/Winston-reviews-the-premier-game-for-Gibbs--run-scheme.html)

"It looked like they kind of knew that we wanted to come out and establish the run. They played one safety high all game, they were rock and rolling the safeties. SO what are you going to do? We've got certain things we wanted to work on, so maybe in [a real] game we'd go quicker to pass. We're going to try to work on the things we need to work on and at some point in this league you've got to be able to run against an eight-man front, your running back is going to have to make someone miss and get some yards."

"They were definitely coming to make us throw. But at the same time in a preseason game we're going to stick with things we might not during the regular season."

In other words...the Texans were running in situations that they would normally go to a pass.

I think there were a lot of lessons learned and we will see a lot of improvement in the run game as the pre season rolls on.

Insideop
08-13-2008, 03:46 AM
The O-line looked good in passing situations but, as everyone here has stated, they did poorly in the running game. However, that's not what concerns me the most. What concerns me more is the O-line depth issue with Salaam, Weary, and Jackson out. We can't afford to lose a starting lineman in any of the Preseason games or we could be in trouble come the start of the season.

If this running game is ever going to get moving they have to play together as a unit and try to build some continuity, especially with the ZB system. I just hope this year is not like the last 2 with O-linemen "dropping like flies." :ouch: It's tough to build that continuity when your linemen are constantly being put on IR! JMHO!

BigBull17
08-13-2008, 09:32 PM

Pass Blocking----A-
Run Blocking-----D
Final Grade------C

Our run blocking wasnt great, but it wasnt that bad. There were some missed cuts by both Taylor and Slatton. Walker made fewer mistakes then the other two, but lacks speed to exploit the D.

gary
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
The O-line looked good in passing situations but, as everyone here has stated, they did poorly in the running game. However, that's not what concerns me the most. What concerns me more is the O-line depth issue with Salaam, Weary, and Jackson out. We can't afford to lose a starting lineman in any of the Preseason games or we could be in trouble come the start of the season.

If this running game is ever going to get moving they have to play together as a unit and try to build some continuity, especially with the ZB system. I just hope this year is not like the last 2 with O-linemen "dropping like flies." :ouch: It's tough to build that continuity when your linemen are constantly being put on IR! JMHO!Salaam is coming back. Any idea about Jackson and Weary? I had read that Weary probably won't make the team regardless of his injury. Is this true?

Porky
08-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I would think Weary makes it if healthy, but it could be Studdard in that role, with Weary cut. You can't make the club from the tub.

I think everyone here pretty much nailed it. I believe strongly that this is now a GOOD pass blocking line. Take that ESPN and shove it where the sun don't shine.

We have a good ways to go in run blocking. I didn't see many holes the other night, but at times the back didn't seem to make the backside cut I was looking for either. In short, both the backs and line need to improve greatly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Brown run Sat night. He has been a zbs runner since college, so he should be able to exploit the backside if the line can work it properly.

nunusguy
08-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Lets see how Duane does against DeMarcus Ware a week from tomorrow night
up in Irving before we bless the Oline as "looking solid" ? If he can hold his own in that matchup, not get embarrased against that guy, then I'm ready to
say our OLine is looking solid.

dalemurphy
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I would think Weary makes it if healthy, but it could be Studdard in that role, with Weary cut. You can't make the club from the tub.

I think everyone here pretty much nailed it. I believe strongly that this is now a GOOD pass blocking line. Take that ESPN and shove it where the sun don't shine.

We have a good ways to go in run blocking. I didn't see many holes the other night, but at times the back didn't seem to make the backside cut I was looking for either. In short, both the backs and line need to improve greatly.

I'm looking forward to seeing Chris Brown run Sat night. He has been a zbs runner since college, so he should be able to exploit the backside if the line can work it properly.

I'm expecting the fans to get really excited about Chris Brown because the line and his decisions will both be better than what we saw on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing Taylor again in the second and third quarters.

By the way, you guys need to watch Butler and Frye this Saturday. Many of you aren't going to understand why Salaam gets cut if you don't see these guys in action.

ChampionTexan
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Considering that it's a new system, with only partial ability to practice it, I think it's way too early to start forming opinions on the running game.

If you look at Atlanta's first preseason game in '04 (the year Gibbs installed his system there), you'll see they rushed 22 times for 57 yards (2.6 ypc). During the preseason, they only had a ypc average in excess of 4 yards in one game (game #2), and fell short of 3 yards per carry in two of the four games. They then proceeded to lead the league in rushing with almost 2,700 yards and a ypc average in excess of 5.

Does that mean much? Well, perhaps not - if for no other reason we don't have a QB/RB named Mike Vick. So don't misunderstand me - I am not predicting the Texans will lead the NFL in rushing in 2008. That would be nice, but so would lots of other things that aren't going to happen. My only point is that game #1 of a completely revamped system is no point for making judgements. Maybe they'll be good, maybe they'll suck, but I don't think you can make any accurate judgements from what we've seen so far.

Porky
08-14-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm expecting the fans to get really excited about Chris Brown because the line and his decisions will both be better than what we saw on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing Taylor again in the second and third quarters.

By the way, you guys need to watch Butler and Frye this Saturday. Many of you aren't going to understand why Salaam gets cut if you don't see these guys in action.

Do either Frye or Butler have any practice squad eligibilty left? I still think they would rather have a veteran backing up if he is healthy. I have the game on TIVO, I have been watching the Olympics so haven't seen it again. Line play is hard to watch while live. I did focus on Brown quite often, but need to watch these two. I know Butler in particular was praised for his play. I think he'll stick with Salaam, with Frye on the practice squad if I were a betting man.

nunusguy
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
you guys need to watch Butler and Frye this Saturday. Many of you aren't going to understand why Salaam gets cut if you don't see these guys in action.
Good point. both played well in the Denver game and they're versatile as Butler played both right and left tackle in that game and Frye also is capable of playing guard, though I don't think he did against Denver. But these guys are classic ZB lineman, as they are very athletic.
Only thing is that their respective performances Saturday would have to be discounted some as they weren't playing front-line D talent, but rather Denver reserves.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Do either Frye or Butler have any practice squad eligibilty left? I still think they would rather have a veteran backing up if he is healthy. I have the game on TIVO, I have been watching the Olympics so haven't seen it again. Line play is hard to watch while live. I did focus on Brown quite often, but need to watch these two. I know Butler in particular was praised for his play. I think he'll stick with Salaam, with Frye on the practice squad if I were a betting man.

Frye still has PS eligibility. FYI.

TheRealJoker
08-14-2008, 12:58 PM
I think if we cut Salaam we lose tons of experience on the OL. That's not good for a young OL trying to learn a tough scheme. We need to keep Salaam on the 53 for no other reason than what he brings to the table off the field that will help the starting 5 on the field.

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I think if we cut Salaam we lose tons of experience on the OL. That's not good for a young OL trying to learn a tough scheme. We need to keep Salaam on the 53 for no other reason than what he brings to the table off the field that will help the starting 5 on the field.

He has experience and he has experience IN THIS SYSTEM.

I think that's very important to keep in mind.

Unless his injury is worse than advertised, I can't see him getting cut.

noxiousdog
08-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Totally agreed. No way does Kubiak go into a potential playoff season with a rookie left tackle without some experience behind him.

gary
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
He'll make this team.

Thorn
08-14-2008, 04:48 PM
He'll make this team.

Yep. Unless Salaam is so bad off he has to go to IR or PUP, he'll be on the active roster.

gary
08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
He knows how to play.

Thorn
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
The other reason we need Salaam is that a rookie lineman, no matter how good he is, will need some breaks to catch his breath during his first year. Salaam can play and he is good enough to either start for a bit or spell Brown when he needs the rest.

gary
08-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes.

ChampionTexan
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Yep. Unless Salaam is so bad off he has to go to IR or PUP, he'll be on the active roster.

Too late to PUP him, so if the knee's worse than we currently believe, the only options are IR and lose him for the season, or put him on the 53 man roster and just wait for him to recover. (Or cut him, but most of us have already stated our views on that).

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Too late to PUP him, so if the knee's worse than we currently believe, the only options are IR and lose him for the season, or put him on the 53 man roster and just wait for him to recover. (Or cut him, but most of us have already stated our views on that).

I thought you were allowed to PUP an injured player all the way up to the cut-down to the 53 man roster. Actually, I thought you could PUP someone in the preseason and then you had to create you're regular season PUP list at the time you cut down to 53.

HJam72
08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes! PUP him! PUP him! :user:

ChampionTexan
08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
I thought you were allowed to PUP an injured player all the way up to the cut-down to the 53 man roster. Actually, I thought you could PUP someone in the preseason and then you had to create you're regular season PUP list at the time you cut down to 53.

If the player has participated in one or more practices during TC, then they're no longer eligible for the PUP. This part I'm 100% certain of.

What I'm pretty sure about (but not 100%) is that when TC opens, a player is either on the Active Roster, or the Active PUP list (Both of which count against the 80 man limit). If they are placed on the Active Roster, they're no longer eligible to be PUP listed. That's why Dunta went on the "Active" PUP list before TC technically opened, and that's why Indy has guys like Peyton Manning on their active PUP list - just in case.