PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Avalability Thread.

forcefollow
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I am making my first post on this board a public service tool for all Texan fans and hopefully Texan management. Anytime a decent running back is released or becomes available please post his name here for discussion. The only decent running back that Houston has ever drafted was Dominick Davis. I was crushed this year when they did not take a running back with the first pick. Please save all the comments about the Gibbs cut block system. Bottom line is you have to have a back that can execute the plays. Fat out of shape has beens and never will bes are not going to get the Texans to the superbowl.

This thread is not a criticism of Duane Brown, Steve Slaton or Barber.

Polo
08-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Maroney ?

forcefollow
08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
If the titans cut Quinton Ganther he would do.

Mewelbe Moore from Pittsburg if he gets cut is a possibility.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
I was not crushed or upset when we didn't take Mendenhall because I felt it was more important to draft for our o-line. And I'd prefer to have multiple picks than Mendenhall or Felix Jones at this point.

The running backs that I know of that I think are available:

Shaun Alexander - Broken down and possibly heartless since he got his payday
Cedric Benson - Character issues and performance issues
Mike Anderson - Not sure he still has it but had some good years in this system and can play FB
Marcell Shipp
Najeh Davenport - Not a good option in my opinion

I'm not sure who else is available.

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Were the raiders looking at doing something with Justin Fargas?

forcefollow
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I was not crushed or upset when we didn't take Mendenhall because I felt it was more important to draft for our o-line. And I'd prefer to have multiple picks than Mendenhall or Felix Jones at this point.

Mike Anderson - Not sure he still has it but had some good years in this system and can play FB
Marcell Shipp

Did Tiki Barber go anywhere. His attitude is similar to Alexander.

Brando
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
What about the other guys we brought in 2 weeks ago?

Denzel's son John Washington, undrafted rookies Calvin Dawson and Darnell Terrell. If they haven't been signed maybe they will go that direction.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Chief's have a couple of no names on the bubble that might fit.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Maroney ?

I think he meant Vernon Morencey. But, he was on a roll.

Mailman
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM

Marcell Shipp

In no particular order...

Tyson Thompson
Anthony Thomas
Verron Haynes
Sam Gado
Ron Dayne
Kenny Irons
Reno Mahe
Eric Shelton
Josh Scobey
Shaud Williams

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Too list. to big, to slow, to small. To wounded.

We got small by the boat loads.

J-Russ
08-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Didn't knew Kenny Irons was waived from the Bengals.

He a fast guy, ran 4.45 at combine, and was a 2nd round pick last year. But he has been frequently injured since coming into the NFL. On one hand, he's still young and might overcome those problems, and on the other hand, we have two injury prone RB already so we don't need another one.

gary
08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Sam Gado maybe?

bollocks
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
In all honesty, I think we should just resign the ole' Dayne-train. As I said in the gameday thread, (aside from Dominick Davis/Williams) Dayne has been our best and most reliable RB. I would feel comfortable ridding our selves of Taylor and possibly even Green to make room for him.

Goldensilence
08-11-2008, 02:16 PM

He signed a decent deal to stay with them. I have heard from a good Raiders fan friend of mine Michael Bush has looked good and McFadden is McFadden. I have a feeling if we wanted a shot at either we'd be looking at a draft pick.

Did Tiki Barber go anywhere. His attitude is similar to Alexander.

Tiki retired and is now focusing on writing children's books and his Radio talk show.

Kenny Irons is a guy whom I wouldn't mind bringing in Camp. I had no idea The Bengals cut him either.

gary
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Ron does know how to push the pile along.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
No one is going to like this...I'd give up next years two for Micheal Bush. Course I'm the same guy who had Criss Williams and Clady ahead of Duane Brown. Last time we got into a deal with Weird Al we got taken to the wood shed. Anyone wanna defend the Buchanon deal ? Er, Phillip Buchanon. still looks wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipbuchanon/profile?id=BUC267107

Polo
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I really liked Kenny Irons coming out of school....

Mailman
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Kenny Irons is a guy whom I wouldn't mind bringing in Camp. I had no idea The Bengals cut him either.

They cut him for a reason. He's coming off ACL surgery and was placed on the PUP before they dumped him.

ETA: He failed his physical in late July.

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
No one is going to like this...I'd give up next years two for Micheal Bush. Course I'm the same guy who had Criss Williams and Clady ahead of Duane Brown. Last time we got into a deal with Weird Al we got taken to the wood shed. Anyone wanna defend the Buchanon deal ? Er, Phillip Buchanon. still looks wrong.

http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipbuchanon/profile?id=BUC267107

Bush is a beast. Raiders snagged him with the 1st pick in the 4th. He was out the entire season before because of a broken leg (i think 1st game?) otherwise he was a Heisman frontrunner and most likely a 1st rounder.

Havn't thought much about a trade though- sounds like he's fully recovered ? If so, would we find a better RB than him in the 2nd round this coming draft- maybe but probably not. Interesting thought 3toes.

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Didn't knew Kenny Irons was waived from the Bengals.

He a fast guy, ran 4.45 at combine, and was a 2nd round pick last year. But he has been frequently injured since coming into the NFL. On one hand, he's still young and might overcome those problems, and on the other hand, we have two injury prone RB already so we don't need another one.

I really liked Kenny Irons coming out of school....

Irons scored lower on the wunderlic than VY if I recall correctly, something like a 5. Got injured I thought pretty earlier on his rookie year, training camp.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Bush is a beast. Raiders snagged him with the 1st pick in the 4th. He was out the entire season before because of a broken leg (i think 1st game?) otherwise he was a Heisman frontrunner and most likely a 1st rounder.

Haven't thought much about a trade though- sounds like he's fully recovered ? If so, would we find a better RB than him in the 2nd round this coming draft- maybe but probably not. Interesting thought 3toes.

Well, they just gave Fargis a nice big contract. They've got McFaddin, kinda makes sense. Are they going to pay three of them ?

If Al can turn a forth into a second, he would strut around for a week or two that's for sure. If the leg passes inspection, might be just enough to get us over the hump. At what point do you give up on Green ? If they had Bush on board wouldn't matter would it ?

forcefollow
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Irons was a beast at Auburn. Sad to hear that an injury has sidelined him. I don't think damaged goods is the way to go. A broken leg can be recovered from but a bad acl tear is dicey. Why did denver cut Bell? Is he healthy? At this point the Texans should help Cedric Benson get cleaned up and sign him.

Someone mentioned anthony thomas? Is any gas left in his tank?

Hervoyel
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Irons was a beast at Auburn. Sad to hear that an injury has sidelined him. I don't think damaged goods is the way to go. A broken leg can be recovered from but a bad acl tear is dicey. Why did denver cut Bell? Is he healthy? At this point the Texans should help Cedric Benson get cleaned up and sign him.

I've always thought he was less of a "one cut and go" back and more of a "just go" guy. I'm not saying he couldn't do this system, only that I have trouble getting a mental picture of him doing it.

Silver Oak
08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
based on the names being thrown around in this thread, I'll just go with what we have and hope for the best.

too early to push the panic button IMO. there will be some teams cutting some better names than these guys, unfortunately there will be teams like the Texans with injuries as well (ex. Ryan Grant) looking to pick up throwaways.

mussop
08-13-2008, 01:10 AM

I would like to see Fargas in this offense.

Insideop
08-13-2008, 02:59 AM

Somehow I think the Texans would take Dayne back before they ever took Benson. There's just too much "baggage" now with Benson. JMHO!

Koolaid Time
08-13-2008, 04:15 AM
Somehow I think the Texans would take Dayne back before they ever took Benson. There's just too much "baggage" now with Benson. JMHO!

While former UT Football players seem to have the ability to make criminal cases in Travis County "Go Away"... I think Benson would still be looking at a suspension from the NFL even if the cases were dismissed.

PapaL
08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
M.Bush broke his leg in his final season in college. He was not healthy his rookie year as a result was IR'd all last year. He is now damn near 2 years removed from that broken leg, which was pretty bad if I remember correctly. The guy had stooopid game. If he's healthy he would be pretty good. There is obviously ZERO chance he will start in OAK and a minute chance he can contribute at RB.

I like Bush!

The Pencil Neck
08-13-2008, 10:35 AM
M.Bush broke his leg in his final season in college. He was not healthy his rookie year as a result was IR'd all last year. He is now damn near 2 years removed from that broken leg, which was pretty bad if I remember correctly. The guy had stooopid game. If he's healthy he would be pretty good. There is obviously ZERO chance he will start in OAK and a minute chance he can contribute at RB.

I like Bush!

OK. What would we have to give up to get him?

gary
08-13-2008, 10:39 AM
They may as well bring back Ron.

GP
08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
LOL.

Gonna' have to just wait until next year's draft for a chance at a RB.

And even then...I doubt Kubiak would blow up a first rounder on one.

Mendenhall, Felix Jones, and Chris Johnson were all available. Saw highlights of Felix Jones from the Cowboys/Chargers game...not too shabby, especially catching the ball and doing something with it afterwards.

We had TWO big needs--OL and RB--and could only get one of them this year. Kubiak chose to go with Duane Brown, and so the LT position seems to be settled, barring any injury (please help us, Lord).

We've always griped about getting a better Oline.

Isn't there a Dorsett running around somewhere? Tony's kid?

Oh well, in three years we can get Sam McGuffie. :thisbig:

gary
08-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Now the Texans are just down to one problem

PapaL
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Now the Texans are just down to one problem

Execution?

gary
08-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Two things that and the running game.

rmartin65
08-13-2008, 12:08 PM
I like the Bush idea. I had forgotten all about him. I am thinking that we might be able to get him for a 3rd, considering they have McFadden and Fargas.

Ole Miss Texan
08-13-2008, 12:21 PM
I like the Bush idea. I had forgotten all about him. I am thinking that we might be able to get him for a 3rd, considering they have McFadden and Fargas.

If he passes a physical and Kubiak/Gibbs think he runs fine and fits the team, I'd spend a 3rd on him. But I'm not sure what the asking price would be from Oakland, I'm thinking they'd want a 2nd- but who knows. Even though they have Fargas and McFadden, I think they'd be smart to keep Bush in there.

gary
08-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Are you all talking about Reggie?

infantrycak
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Are you all talking about Reggie?

Michael Bush--Oakland Raiders

Texecutioner
08-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I'd be all for taking Michael Bush if he is fully healthy. The Raiders don't exactly need him with Fargas and Mcfadden. If healthy Bush has a lot of upside.

beerlover
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
I would be willing to trade the Texans 09 1st rd. pick to the Rams for Steven Jackson. http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/68177/

gary
08-13-2008, 12:38 PM
In a trade?

Lucky
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Execution?
Dom Capers, ladies & gentlemen! Let's give him a big hand.

http://z.about.com/d/magic/1/5/g/9/RoyalFlush1-final.jpg

No, not that. I meant....

http://www.anythink.org/dailybubbler/images/applause.jpg

I'd be all for taking Michael Bush if he is fully healthy.
Michael Bush is signed to a cap friendly contract through 2010. There's no reason for the Raiders to get rid of him. Al Davis would probably ask for a 1st rounder in return.

gary
08-13-2008, 12:44 PM
I would be willing to trade the Texans 09 1st rd. pick to the Rams for Steven Jackson. http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/68177/In a second.

thunderkyss
08-13-2008, 12:56 PM
In my opinion, we need to package Sage & Weaer to get Ricky Williams.

but that's just me.

HOU-TEX
08-13-2008, 01:00 PM
In my opinion, we need to package Sage & Weaer to get Ricky Williams.

but that's just me.

Yeah TK, I think it is....:)

KEYE SUX
08-13-2008, 01:01 PM
What kind of payday is Jackson holding out for? I would only be worried about the letdown after a big contract... He is only getting 1.7 million now and considered one of the top 5 running backs. We, however, have a 4 year/ 23 million dollar cheerleader in Green. It would be great if we could just do a straight trade but NO ONE would take on Green's contract

thunderkyss
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
What kind of payday is Jackson holding out for? I would only be worried about the letdown after a big contract... He is only getting 1.7 million now and considered one of the top 5 running backs. We, however, have a 4 year/ 23 million dollar cheerleader in Green. It would be great if we could just do a straight trade but NO ONE would take on Green's contract

He wants to be paid like a top 5 runningback.... for multiple years

gary
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
I wonder what the Texans would pay Jackson.

awtysst
08-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Execution?

http://blog.kir.com/archives/Dom%20Capers.jpg

The1ApplePie
08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Fargas is basically a one-year wonder that was either injury prone or crap his entire career. I think he and Slaton are the same player.

I'd say see what the Titans wanted for LenDale, but I figure I would get flamed by the USC/Titans haters

Maybe DeAngelo Williams is on the block since the Panthers drafted Stewart?

threetoedpete
08-13-2008, 10:30 PM
In my opinion, we need to package Sage & Weaver to get Ricky Williams.

but that's just me.

You have much more faith in Ricks will power for the exotic tobacco than I do.

http://www.drdonnica.com/today/00008096.htm

The only difference in Rickey and Barret Robins is that Rickey hasn't gone off the reservation yet to Tia Juana.

El Tejano
08-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Did Marcell Shipp get signed by anyone yet?

thunderkyss
08-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I wonder what the Texans would pay Jackson.

Won't help us this year. The Rams would most likely let him ride the bench.. or simply not report for the entire season. There is no reason to release him.

You have much more faith in Ricks will power for the exotic tobacco than I do.

http://www.drdonnica.com/today/00008096.htm

The only difference in Rickey and Barret Robins is that Rickey hasn't gone off the reservation yet to Tia Juana.

The day I retire, I'll be smoking the biggest fattest reefer I can find.

For me that's not necessarily true, but I've heard it said many times, by many people, and I'm sure you have as well. Ricky seems to have is priorities straight now, for whatever reason, doesn't really matter.

He's a heck of an athlete, a hell of a running back, and we could get him pretty cheap.

gary
08-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Isn't Ricky kind of old though?

PapaL
08-14-2008, 10:44 AM
You folks do know that the "Execution?" comment was in jest.

HJam72
08-14-2008, 10:47 AM
You folks do know that the "Execution?" comment was in jest.

Execution is not funny. :foottap: :)

J-Russ
08-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Having two runningbacks that has the talent and abilities to start is the trend now and days in the NFL, so I doubt we can just get DWill, Ricky, or Michael Bush that easily.

Funny how some teams have two RBs that can start while we have none. Atleast we have a pretty sweet 3rd down back.

Polo
08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Titans may have to cut a back...

gary
08-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Cut back on what?

Polo
08-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Cut back on what?

Wins

gary
08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Correct. I doubt it though.

Porky
08-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Selecting Mendenhall in round 1 and ignoring LT would be like putting the cherry and whipped cream on your sundae and leaving off the ice cream.

It might look good, but in the end it's just a little sweet treat and a bunch of puffed up air that isn't very satisfying. Duane Brown is the half gallon of blue bell we need. Next year, we'll add the cherry and the whipped cream. :texflag:

The Pencil Neck
08-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Cut back on what?

On their team?

TheRealJoker
08-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Selecting Mendenhall in round 1 and ignoring LT would be like putting the cherry and whipped cream on your sundae and leaving off the ice cream.

It might look good, but in the end it's just a little sweet treat and a bunch of puffed up air that isn't very satisfying. Duane Brown is the half gallon of blue bell we need. Next year, we'll add the cherry and the whipped cream. :texflag:

Duane Brown = Blue Bell Ice Cream

Steve Slaton = Whipped Cream

Domonique Barber = Cherry on top

Clearly this trade down was a no brainer since we got 3 players which will allow us to make a proper Sundae on Sundays.

Specnatz
08-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Duane Brown = Blue Bell Ice Cream

Steve Slaton = Whipped Cream

Domonique Barber = Cherry on top

Clearly this trade down was a no brainer since we got 3 players which will allow us to make a proper Sundae on Sundays.

What is Molden then?

beerlover
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
What is Molden then?

Molden was not part of the draft day deal. Rick Smith aquired excellent value from Baltimore for trading away the 18th pick for the 26th (Duane Brown) 89th (Steve Slayton) & 173rd (Dominique Barber) :shades:

thunderkyss
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM

We'll see.

Adding Meyers is going to have an impact as well. But they had better play a lot better than they did against Denver.

If were going to put so much value in the OL, we need to see big holes generated by the offensive line. Holes so huge, that Steve Slaton, Darius Walker & Chris Taylor can run amok on the NFL, and there will be no reason for us to address the running back situation in the '09 draft.

Heck, if Chris Brown can stay healthy, I think he'll be the most rounded of the bunch, and he'll go down as another ZBS product.

If Duane Brown is the answer at LT, we need a Cornerback, and a Center, in that order.

IF.

Honoring Earl 34
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM

Mendenhall fell for a reason ( LZ said he's soft ) . I think the Texan brass will pick a RB early in due time but as of today they have done a pretty good job of filling other needs .

Thorn
08-14-2008, 04:22 PM
I don't think the O-line is finished building yet either. Neither is the defensive line, the RB situation or our defensive backs. We got a ways to go to be a Super Bowl team. Not so much to sneak into the playoffs, we are almost there, but we got a ways to go before anyone should be talking about championships.

gary
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Agreed.

PHAROAH
08-14-2008, 04:51 PM

Marcell Shipp

I'm not sure who else is available.Sad to say it but Cedric is the best talent on that list.

PHAROAH
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
If things don't get better we might have to trade for a running back. Steve Slaton is the best back on this team.

Hervoyel
08-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Sad to say it but Cedric is the best talent on that list.

And we're not interested despite the fact that our running backs are old, fragile, ordinary, and/or inexperienced.

Now I understand that Cedric Benson isn't the guy you want to hang your hopes on. I get that. The Texans don't want to be the Cowboys where guys who can't toe the line come to play and I really do understand that. What I don't understand is why they won't help themselves even when they find themselves painted into a corner like they are now.

How cheap do you think a sitting at home and getting no offers Cedric Benson is? This guy is about to find himself out of football and it isn't because he sucks more than every other back with a job in the NFL right now. It's because of his behavior and he's got to know that. I am absolutely certain that his agent is telling him that he needs to take the next reasonable offer that comes his way and do nothing but what he's told or this whole ride is over. Why not offer him a conservative contract for 1 year with an option for the next year? Nobody says you have to build around Cedric Benson but jeez man, you got nothing in the backfield right now and with a deal like that you have very little risk and the potential for good things to happen if he turns it around.

If he's ordinary or trouble you cut him like you would any other player. If he does well and he fits here great. If he does well and doesn't fit here you let him go after the season. Maybe you trade that option on him for a day two pick to some other team that feels like taking the risk. Other teams do sometimes take risks even if we don't.

Like everyone here I assume the Texans are finally closing in on drafting that running back we've been needing for years. I think it's coming in 2009 and so a short term contract like this is just what the Texans would want and probably what Benson wants too. From his perspective he needs to go some place "good" where he can rehabilitate his image and prove that he can play in this league. It seems like Houston would be the perfect spot for that and I think his visit last month was probably about that. In our "any back can get a thousand yards" scheme (Copyright The Denver Broncos) Benson could be effective and play his way to another contract and real second chance someplace else or here if it worked out.

I can only hope that the Texans saw then or know something now that gives them a good reason not to bring him in because if this is just because he's not a "good person" and has transgressed with the DUI's then they're just plain stupid for not filling this huge gaping hole in their offense. If we can't run the ball this year then we're not going to even finish above .500 again. If we can't run the ball because Ahman Green and Chris Brown are broken down and all we have left is Slaton and two guys who are high quality camp fodder then the Texans are just shockingly foolish and still lack the ability to do business in the NFL where compromises are a way of life and sometimes you have to take some chances.

thunderkyss
08-14-2008, 05:34 PM
What I don't understand is why they won't help themselves even when they find themselves painted into a corner like they are now.

It's all about perception.

The Texans may not perceive that we would be better off with Cedric Benson on this team instead of Chris Taylor(a guy they've already invested in), Darius Walker(a guy they've already invested money in) and Chris Brown( a guy who is more talented, and has more upside than Cedric Benson, and knows & understands more about what it means to be a pro).

They also may believe that Benson will be there in week 3 or week 7 or whenever they might need him.

Maybe they are waiting for Michael Bennett to get back on the market, or one of these other talented guys who will be getting cut here shortly.

Thorn
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
At this point in the season, it doesn't matter what we do, because all we'll pick up now is leftovers. It's still running back by committee for the rest of the year. Get used to it.

If the O-line does fantastic wonders under Gibbs that's not such a bad thing for this year, but we are still deep in preseason. I am still of the opinion our running game will improve this year with the current set of haphazard backs. It just won't be what we want until we get a true starting RB.

Texan JBZ
08-14-2008, 05:56 PM
After watching the Bronco's game, I'm kind of interested in what they plan on doing with Anthony Alridge. They have Selvin as their starter and Pittman and Hall backing him up. If he is the odd man out after cuts, I'd like to see the Texans bring him in. He looked pretty good in the system. I know we already have a change-of-pace back in Slaton, but what would another guy like him on the roster (or at least on the practice squad) hurt. I liked his burst and cutback ability.

gary
08-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Agreed.

Texecutioner
08-15-2008, 11:36 AM
And we're not interested despite the fact that our running backs are old, fragile, ordinary, and/or inexperienced.

Now I understand that Cedric Benson isn't the guy you want to hang your hopes on. I get that. The Texans don't want to be the Cowboys where guys who can't toe the line come to play and I really do understand that. What I don't understand is why they won't help themselves even when they find themselves painted into a corner like they are now.

How cheap do you think a sitting at home and getting no offers Cedric Benson is? This guy is about to find himself out of football and it isn't because he sucks more than every other back with a job in the NFL right now. It's because of his behavior and he's got to know that. I am absolutely certain that his agent is telling him that he needs to take the next reasonable offer that comes his way and do nothing but what he's told or this whole ride is over. Why not offer him a conservative contract for 1 year with an option for the next year? Nobody says you have to build around Cedric Benson but jeez man, you got nothing in the backfield right now and with a deal like that you have very little risk and the potential for good things to happen if he turns it around.

If he's ordinary or trouble you cut him like you would any other player. If he does well and he fits here great. If he does well and doesn't fit here you let him go after the season. Maybe you trade that option on him for a day two pick to some other team that feels like taking the risk. Other teams do sometimes take risks even if we don't.

Like everyone here I assume the Texans are finally closing in on drafting that running back we've been needing for years. I think it's coming in 2009 and so a short term contract like this is just what the Texans would want and probably what Benson wants too. From his perspective he needs to go some place "good" where he can rehabilitate his image and prove that he can play in this league. It seems like Houston would be the perfect spot for that and I think his visit last month was probably about that. In our "any back can get a thousand yards" scheme (Copyright The Denver Broncos) Benson could be effective and play his way to another contract and real second chance someplace else or here if it worked out.

I can only hope that the Texans saw then or know something now that gives them a good reason not to bring him in because if this is just because he's not a "good person" and has transgressed with the DUI's then they're just plain stupid for not filling this huge gaping hole in their offense. If we can't run the ball this year then we're not going to even finish above .500 again. If we can't run the ball because Ahman Green and Chris Brown are broken down and all we have left is Slaton and two guys who are high quality camp fodder then the Texans are just shockingly foolish and still lack the ability to do business in the NFL where compromises are a way of life and sometimes you have to take some chances.

It's not just about the troubles with Benson. He sucks! He was awful last year.

I hated having Dayne last year, but I'd rather go back to Dayne than Benson. Dayne played better than Benson did last year, and he doesn't have the off the field problems like Benson does either. I don't want either one, but Dayne would be a better option than Benson.

TK_Gamer
08-15-2008, 11:44 AM
In my oppinion the Texans biggest problem at running back is not talent but staying healthy. What worries me is Kubiak/Smith seem to have a knack for finding players that have talent, but not the durability. So I just hope we don't sign some high potential roster cut, that ends up hurt 2 weeks later. I would be happy with Chris brown, Chris Taylor, or Steve Slaton if they can stay healthy at least most of the season. At least then they would have a chance to grow within the new system. It's very hard at any position to get established if you don't ever end the year with the same starters you began with.

JWarren14
08-15-2008, 12:44 PM
After watching the Bronco's game, I'm kind of interested in what they plan on doing with Anthony Alridge. They have Selvin as their starter and Pittman and Hall backing him up. If he is the odd man out after cuts, I'd like to see the Texans bring him in. He looked pretty good in the system. I know we already have a change-of-pace back in Slaton, but what would another guy like him on the roster (or at least on the practice squad) hurt. I liked his burst and cutback ability.

Not to forget Torain who they drafted and are pretty high on, but he has to have surgery on his elbow and will be out, maybe even for the season. One of my very good friends is a die hard Broncos fan, which has been useful since we get players from them all the time. Its a little up in the air as of now who is the RB who may fall out in Denver, maybe Hall maybe Alridge.

On another note, Lorenzo Booker looked really good last night for Philly in bad conditions, he is another Slaton type player, but has more experience.

How about Turk for the starting RB spot? 15 yards on 1 carry, not too shabby...

gary
08-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I hope AA falls and the Texans pick him up.

El Tejano
08-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Nick Goings is a serviceable back that has some experience. With Stewart and Williams there, you never know.

gary
08-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Is he out there?

The Pencil Neck
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Is he out there?

No, El Tejano was just saying that the Panthers have Jonathon Stewart and DeAngelo Williams and that's a pretty full backfield. Goings might end up the odd man out.

mexican_texan
08-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I liked Hall, I wouldn't mind having him. That said, Aldridge will most likely end up in their practice squad.

ChampionTexan
08-15-2008, 03:29 PM
I liked Hall, I wouldn't mind having him. That said, Aldridge will most likely end up in their practice squad.

Which would be good for us, since we'd be able to sign him off of that if Kubes and Smith wanted to.

gary
08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I hope so.

Texecutioner
08-16-2008, 04:11 PM

I like Hall as well. I mentioned him a while back, and many thought I was crazy.

Mailman
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Given that he's only played in one preseason game and has yet to run with the first-teamers, let's wait and see what Steve Slaton can do before we go looking for other teams's scrubs to fill a need.

Texecutioner
08-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Given that he's only played in one preseason game and has yet to run with the first-teamers, let's wait and see what Steve Slaton can do before we go looking for other teams's scrubs to fill a need.

When he got his chances to play last year, he didn't look like a scrub at all. He looked really good. He had the same type of burst as Selvin Young but a little more power. He's played with first teamers plenty of times and played well.

Mailman
08-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Um, ya'll see what I meant?