PDA

View Full Version : So our running back situation is solved

swtbound07
08-10-2008, 07:53 PM
if you guys saw the same steve slaton i did...well...we got our guy. Competition over. Slaton is the man. Jump on the bandwagon now. I mean now. Not a bad thing to say about the guy.

TexanSam
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
I thought he got tackled pretty easily. Didn't seem to grind out for those extra yards. Making decisions after one preseason game would be dumb.

swtbound07
08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
you didn't see what i saw. Three times he got tripped up by somebody grasping a hand on his legs.

He made good good reads, good cuts, and had a burst. Insanely fast. I could not be any higher on his potential

powerfuldragon
08-10-2008, 07:59 PM
where's the start sage rosenfels thread?

awtysst
08-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Since we are still looking for running backs, I would like to nominate myself. I am 5'10 160-165 and have plenty of tread on my tires despite being 27. What do yall think?! AWTYSST for Texans back!

Polo
08-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I dunno, but I know one thing...

Chris Taylor has very limited vision...I didn't like the way he played at all...

TexanSam
08-10-2008, 08:01 PM
you didn't see what i saw. Three times he got tripped up by somebody grasping a hand on his legs.

He made good good reads, good cuts, and had a burst. Insanely fast. I could not be any higher on his potential

I want to see how he does going against a first string defense. He was the Texans best RB yesterday so maybe Kubiak will play him earlier in the next preseason game.

stingray
08-10-2008, 08:02 PM
What's up with Chris Brown? Is he hurt?

Ole Miss Texan
08-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I hint a bit of sarcasm yet at the same time some seriousness. I will say I really really liked what I saw from Slaton. He is not ready to be our primary RB quite yet, but I love him in the mix of things and on special teams. Great quickness, great vision.

The 1st few times he got the ball on kick offs, it seemed he was really excited and just started flying. The third time(?) I think is when he got his best return by waiting for the blocks to develop instead of just outrunning everyone. This showed me he (i) had good vision find some paths, (ii) learned from previously "unsuccesses" (iii) and/or listens to coaches or players well on the sidelines telling him what he was doing wrong and how to fix it- he went out and executed. I could be way off, but thats my way of justifying it :)

I think Slaton has a long future ahead of him on the Texans (albeit it was just preseason)... the other RB's, I'm not so sure of.

awtysst
08-10-2008, 08:08 PM
You'll need a FB awtysst!!!
I nominate MYSELF!
6'4" 340 lbs.
I think I can be down to a playing weight of 320 by the time the season starts.
And I'm pretty fleet of foot for a big brotha!
:specnatz:

Actually there is precedent. FRITZ POLLARD was basically my size(he was 5'9 165) and he is a HOF. I think we could do it!

beerlover
08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Andre Ware (during 610 radio broadcast) mentioned one of the top RB's in the country is the younger brother of a Texan but I can't recall his name for the life of me :thinking: anyone know who he was talking about?

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Andre Ware (during 610 radio broadcast) mentioned one of the top RB's in the country is the younger brother of a Texan but I can't recall his name for the life of me :thinking: anyone know who he was talking about?

Sure you don't have it backwards? Isn't Dominique the younger brother of Marion?

Specnatz
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM

Marion Barber III (cowgirls) older bother of Dominique Barber S

headsplint
08-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Ya I heard that too, but I don't remember who it was.

CloakNNNdagger
08-10-2008, 09:35 PM
if you guys saw the same steve slaton i did...well...we got our guy. Competition over. Slaton is the man. Jump on the bandwagon now. I mean now. Not a bad thing to say about the guy.

I didn't see anything yesterday that would give me confidence that he could run between the tackles............of course, I didn't see anything that would give me confidence that any of our RBs could run between the tackles.:gun:

GP
08-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Slaton looked to have the "wiggle" and the pep in his step that the other guys seemed to lack.

Slaton got tackled, but as SWTbound said...there was several times where it was by Slaton's legs/ankle/feet, as if to make a last-gasp dive for Slaton.

He's got to find a way to churn those legs when he senses the defensive player is going for his legs/ankle/feet. That's what made DD so good: He'd get extra yards after that sort of contact.

Slaton comes across as probably the best option thus far. We haven't seen Chris Brown yet, but I saw him enough on the bench the past few years to know that it isn't going to last long for us.

I'll jump on the bandwagon, SWT. :piano:

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2008, 10:03 PM
At this point, I've only seen him on a teeny tiny window in a web broadcast. I need to see the game on my TV before I jump on the bandwagon.

But I've been trying to not start hyping this guy as our savior ever since we drafted him. I want this guy to be our next DD and I want him to surpass DD.

But at this point (first freaking preseason game in a wee li'l window), he seems to get knocked down too easy.

gtexan02
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Honestly I thought Walker looked better than Slaton. He is the only guy I saw who played 1 cut and go.

Hooston Texan
08-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I want to see Slaton pick up a blitz properly before I anoint him with anything. If he can do that, I'm all ears. If he cannot, we cannot play him. Unless, of course, the idea of Alex Brink running our offense this year has some appeal.

Unfortunately, I can't say that any of our other options can do that, either. Taylor completely botched that corner-blitz. Don't know about Walker's and Brown's ability against the blitz. Ahman Green was one of the best in the business at picking up linebackers, but we know the problem there . . .

I'm definitely intrigued by what Slaton brings to the table, but I've always been worried about his ability to take on an angry linebacker.

dalemurphy
08-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I want to see Slaton pick up a blitz properly before I anoint him with anything. If he can do that, I'm all ears. If he cannot, we cannot play him. Unless, of course, the idea of Alex Brink running our offense this year has some appeal.

Unfortunately, I can't say that any of our other options can do that, either. Taylor completely botched that corner-blitz. Don't know about Walker's and Brown's ability against the blitz. Ahman Green was one of the best in the business at picking up linebackers, but we know the problem there . . .

I'm definitely intrigued by what Slaton brings to the table, but I've always been worried about his ability to take on an angry linebacker.

I'm still waiting to see him break a tackle. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here. He's certainly not going to be anything more than a role player this season. He's got a lot of things to work on right now from what I saw.

TheRealJoker
08-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I hope he gets some time with the 1's in the 2nd and/or 3rd preseason game.

I'll wait till he's made plays against another team's # 1's before I crown him. But I will say that he reminds me of Clinton Portis when he came into the league (Portis was 185-190 when he came in, turned into a fine RB) and he did awfully well out of the gate in the ZBS.

Slaton is clearly the most talented back on our roster considering we cant depend on Green or Brown to stay healthy. Whether we wont him to or not, if its between him/Taylor/Walker, Slaton will be the feature back this season.

Mike Kerns
08-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Ive liked Slaton for a long time at WVU and hope his game traslates to the pros well. I would also like to see him get some reps with the first unit to see how he looks against the competitions best. Also to see how he picks up the pass rush.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 08:41 AM

So after one preseason game you're going to climb out on the limb and say the guy is going to get 300 touches and score a dozen TDs...GL with that.

I saw an under size speed guy who does very well in space when all he has to do is figure out a couple of cuts. You could fill a library up with what you don't know about the guy at this point. every guy and his little sister knew the guy was good in space. That's not the problem with double S.

gary
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
He must break tackles before I just jump on his BW.

Brando
08-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Ya I heard that too, but I don't remember who it was.

LeSean McCoy

LeSean Kamel McCoy, born 7/12/88, is the son of Ron and Daphne McCoy...has one brother, LeRon, who was a star receiver for Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP)...LeRon spent two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals (2005-06) and one year with the San Francisco 49ers (2007) before signing with the Houston Texans this year

LINK (http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccoy_lesean00.html)

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2008, 10:56 AM
LeSean McCoy

LINK (http://pittsburghpanthers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccoy_lesean00.html)

Nice find, I vaguely remember reading something about that connection although with Anderson's play, I don't see LeRon being on the team come week 1.

I have been a big proponent of finishing off the defense (DE, OLB or S) with our 1st rd pick next year... but from what I saw of our running backs on sunday- a really solid RB in the 1st or 2nd might be the best thing for out team- keeping that offense going and having a threat everydown from the running game and passing game together.

McCoy will be eligible and is a good possibility to be a 1st rounder, although I hear he's really cocky.

PHAROAH
08-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I don't know why people keep trying to knock steve slaton when he is clearly our best option on this roster right now no matter who is healthy he just need game experience. Steve Slaton isn't a bruising back and the texans knew when they drafted him so they don't expect him to run through a ton of tacklers they want to use him like the eagles use Brian Westbrook.

J-Russ
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Crown his ass.

If guys like Selvin Young, Brian Westbrook, Willie Parker, and etc. can start so can he.

He's the best RB on this team right now.

Corrosion
08-11-2008, 12:21 PM
While I agree Slaton was the best back the Texans put on the field Saturday night , I dont think he's ready for prime time just yet . It shows how poorly the other backs played rather than how good Slayton was. 11/37/3.4 arent what I want to see out of the #1 option .

Brando
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Chris Brown will get a chance to prove himself this week against the Saints, and I would also like to see Slaton with more carries against the 1st team defense.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Believe me Pharaoh we got it. I'm just saying it's a bit premature to be sewing this guy onto you sleeve. The heart rumors are out there for a reason. I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he's another faster Allen Pinket...we'll see. But until you see this guy drop his dobber and plant his helmet into the throat of a blitzing 250 pound LB, dropping him like a wet dish rag, you don't know...no one does until he does it.

If the moss backs are cautious...we've seen the John Carpenter film "The Thing" before. We know whats around the corner and we're scared to death. Advocating double S to be the primary twenty touch a game back is more than a reach . It's very dangerous.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2008, 12:40 PM
While I agree Slaton was the best back the Texans put on the field Saturday night , I dont think he's ready for prime time just yet . It shows how poorly the other backs played rather than how good Slayton was. 11/37/3.4 arent what I want to see out of the #1 option .

His numbers were actually better until the last couple of plays when they knew we were just pounding it out to run the clock down.

At one point he was 8/37/4.6 and before that he was 7/33/4.7. But then we were just running out the clock and Denver was waiting for him and that made his average look worse.

I'd like to see him run with the second and first team to really get a handle on him. His speed could allow him to make more of the holes (as little as they were) than Taylor did.

Mr teX
08-11-2008, 12:41 PM

I with ya, SWT! he i saw that he had excellent vision & often times made something out of nothing. He needs reps with the 1st team, the kid can run. At this point, the only thing i think kubes is holding him back for is his pass protection... other than that He looked 10 times better than CT imo.

forcefollow
08-11-2008, 12:46 PM
He is clearly the best back. But, best back out of what? Ahman Green or Brown will likely stay hurt. Slaton is a decent start but an NFL team needs depth. At the moment Houston doesn't have it. The backfield will underachieve this year. Book it.

beerlover
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
LeSean McCoy

thanks!

2008 Scouting Report: Enters his sophomore season holding status as one of college football's top running backs...was a dynamic freshman performer last year, displaying a lethal combination of speed, dazzling elusiveness and physicality...those traits helped him achieve the most prolific season by a Pitt freshman running back since the legendary Tony Dorsett...Dorsett himself said of McCoy, "This is the first player who has come along who truly reminds me of me."...McCoy eclipsed two of Dorsett's longstanding Pitt freshman marks, including rushing touchdowns and total points, and was personally presented with a commemorative football by the Hall of Famer and 1976 Heisman Trophy winner...McCoy additionally led all freshman running backs last season with an average of 110.67 yards per game...perhaps his finest moment came in Pitt's stunning 13-9 victory over rival West Virginia when he ran for 148 tough yards against a defense laser-focused to stop him...whether it was between the tackles or sweeping to the outside, McCoy helped the Panthers play keep-away from the dangerous WVU offense...earned a laundry list of postseason honors, including first team All-Big East, Big East Rookie of the Year and unanimous Freshman All-America status...will be a highly viable candidate for numerous national honors this year, including the Doak Walker Award, annually presented to the country's top running back.

regarding his older Texans brother LaRon, I thought he was one of the more impressive newcomers. while not going to leap frog Anderson (different type) he brings the closest thing to the physical presence of AJ & worth keeping on the squad to develop & add depth @ WR position. I think the WR corps would be strong with Johnson, Walter, Anderson, McCoy while Jones focuses on punt returns & Davis kick returns.

rather that than carry Ahman Green week to week status knowing his end is sooner rather than later :cool:

Mailman
08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I agree that Slaton flashed the most potential at the running back position, but I still think Chris Brown can be an effective back for this offense. I'd like to see what he can do before anointing Slaton the savior at the position.

The Pencil Neck
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree that Slaton flashed the most potential at the running back position, but I still think Chris Brown can be an effective back for this offense. I'd like to see what he can do before anointing Slaton the savior at the position.

Brown's supposed to run with the first team against the Saints. We'll see what we'll see then.

I don't have any faith that Brown can last more than 2-3 games healthy. Green, I don't know if we can get 1 out of him.

HOU-TEX
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm beginning to think McLady's there to meet and greet RB's as they're brought in and signed. Once he shakes their hand they go out and rip their sack or bruise their Va-J-J.

Our Running Backs have been McGradied!!! :gun:

bollocks
08-11-2008, 02:21 PM
It's too early to call any of our problems "solved". That said, based on what I saw this past Saturday (which is by no means enough to crown or crucify anyone), Slaton is the best back we have on the roster with Walker right on his heels. As for Taylor, poor run blocking aside, I hope he has something more to show us. If not, I doubt there will be a spot on the roster for him.

texansin08
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Slaton looked good the other night but he is never going to be a 20 carry a game back for the season so he can never totally be the answer to the RB problem. Still it's a start

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
08-16-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm on the bandwagon. :texflag:

Hookem Horns
08-16-2008, 09:35 PM
He's looking good. I would like to see him go with our and against 1st teamers.

fikster
08-16-2008, 09:41 PM
any more room? if so, i'm in

Number19
08-16-2008, 09:46 PM
It's time to see what Slaton can do with the first team.

Mike Kerns
08-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Glad to see everyone coming around:wild:

edo783
08-16-2008, 09:53 PM
The kid has some game it seems. The more I see him the better I like him.

Brando
08-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm on the bandwagon. :texflag:

Welcome aboard!:texflag:

b0ng
08-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Count me in. Slaton picked up a few blitzes rather nicely.

J-Russ
08-16-2008, 10:00 PM
It's too early to call any of our problems "solved". That said, based on what I saw this past Saturday (which is by no means enough to crown or crucify anyone), Slaton is the best back we have on the roster with Walker right on his heels. As for Taylor, poor run blocking aside, I hope he has something more to show us. If not, I doubt there will be a spot on the roster for him.

LOL. No it isn't. Especially when you look at his "competitions".

Ideally, I rather have Brown as starter with Slaton as our 2nd RB. Why? Let the D pound Brown, then as they soften up put in Slaton to finish them up.

EDIT: Read your post wrong. I thought it said "it's too early to name Slaton as starter". But your post was pro-Slaton.

forcefollow
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Slaton just made a strong case to be the starter. Can he be a work horse? Why not? Is the problem solved. NO!! The team needs quality depth. A this point here is my depth chart.

1. Slaton
2. Brown
3 Unsigned
4. Unsigned
5. Unsigned

Cut the rest loose.

Thorn
08-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Slaton showed he could pass block, make the cut and run and get yardage. I like it. Don't think he is ready to be our main back yet, but this guy will certainly make waves in the NFL this year.

Let's all keep in mind he did this against backup players, not starting players. Still, he shows a lot of promise and I'm getting excited about him.

Overalls
08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Count me in. Slaton picked up a few blitzes rather nicely.

It was nice when the boadcast focused on him blocking a guy that looked almost twice as big as him. I have never had faith in Brown, am quickly losing it in Green and just don't know what to think about Taylor and Walker. Slayton looks like a good back in preseason but I'll leave it to Kubes to figure out who should start. I do think that Slayton needs to get some time with the first team. In my mind that is the only real way to figure out what we have in him. He is looking good though.

TexanSam
08-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I watched hardly any of the 4th quarter but I did see the pop up about the carries for each back this preseason. Slaton has looked the best out of anyone, but I wonder why Darius Walker has so few. I think he only has 8.

Bubbajwp
08-16-2008, 10:27 PM
He is healthy. Everybody else is hurt. So im on the bandwagon too.

Dcolbyt
08-16-2008, 10:29 PM
he and darius are alot a like, small but hard to wrap up. we have a great offense to watch!

TheRealJoker
08-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Slaton does not run like a scat back. He's making one cut and taking off, no dancing in the backfield. He wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty either in blocking. He's got an elite burst and he's earned some PT with the 1s next Saturday to see if he can handle being a feature back.

My two biggest questions heading into this game were "can he make one cut and go without dancing?" and "Can he pick up a blitzer?"

He answered both of those questions, so lets reward him with PT with the first team. Or at the very least let him be 1st string PR next week.

PS: Clinton Portis was the same size as Slaton coming out of college, Slaton can be a feature back in this system if he keeps making one cut and taking off without dancing and picks up blitzers.

Corrosion
08-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Slaton does not run like a scat back. He's making one cut and taking off, no dancing in the backfield. He wasn't afraid to get his nose dirty either in blocking. He's got an elite burst and he's earned some PT with the 1s next Saturday to see if he can handle being a feature back.

My two biggest questions heading into this game were "can he make one cut and go without dancing?" and "Can he pick up a blitzer?"

He answered both of those questions, so lets reward him with PT with the first team. Or at the very least let him be 1st string PR next week.

PS: Clinton Portis was the same size as Slaton coming out of college, Slaton can be a feature back in this system if he keeps making one cut and taking off without dancing and picks up blitzers.

Slaton looked real solid tonight . I was impressed with how he picked up the blitz and he ran much more effectively that I expected he would between the tackles . If he keeps this up AG may get a visit from "The Turk".

CloakNNNdagger
08-17-2008, 08:37 AM
There are so many variables that are impossible to extrapolate in evaluation when you place a promising RB against a 2nd and 3rd D. Slaton has demonstrated the necessary moves and skills................but has not defined himself as to which level he possesses these. Put him in with the 1st team and let him have an opportunity to define his level of play. Like many of you, I believe he can and will put aside this important question and give us the positive answer we are hoping for.

Number19
08-17-2008, 10:03 AM
The strength of our offense is the passing game. Why not play to our strength? I know Kubes would like to run the ball to set up the passing, but he should reconsider - pass to set up the run. In this type of offense, then Slaton could carry the load as our #1 back.

dalemurphy
08-17-2008, 10:08 AM
The strength of our offense is the passing game. Why not play to our strength? I know Kubes would like to run the ball to set up the passing, but he should reconsider - pass to set up the run. In this type of offense, then Slaton could carry the load as our #1 back.

The first team offense had three posessions and drove for two TDs and a field goal. As a whole, the team scored 31 points. I'm not sure criticism of the offensive philosophy makes too much sense today.

edo783
08-17-2008, 10:14 AM
As a whole, the team scored 31 points. I'm not sure criticism of the offensive philosophy makes too much sense today.

Yeah, its kind of like complaining that all you had was Vanilla, Chocolate and strawberry ice cream, but no pistachio to eat.

Number19
08-17-2008, 10:19 AM
The first team offense had three posessions and drove for two TDs and a field goal. As a whole, the team scored 31 points. I'm not sure criticism of the offensive philosophy makes too much sense today.We moved the ball through the air, not by running. We only had 116 yds rushing for the night. We had 289 yds passing. The philosophy is to run to set up the pass, but Kubes is smart enough to go with what is working. We still have two more pre-season games to work on the running, but going into game 1, we need to recognize whether this will carry the team for the season. Right now, IMO, we need to recognize that passing will be more effective than running.

Number19
08-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I wasn't criticizing the offensive scheme, which is absurd in pre-season. But recognizing the strength of your offense, and the emphasis for your play calling, reflects on your choices as to personnel and who will be starters. My original intent was to address the question of Slaton and my opinion that in a pass first offense, he could carry the primary load. The general thinking has been that he needs to come off the bench in a secondary, supporting role.

swtbound07
08-18-2008, 12:14 AM
the general thinking can suck a nut. Slaton doesn't need to come off the bench. He is a starter in the making. Ya'll are starting to see it. So is Kubiak. Its about time, frankly.

threetoedpete
08-18-2008, 03:06 AM
The first team offense had three posessions and drove for two TDs and a field goal. As a whole, the team scored 31 points. I'm not sure criticism of the offensive philosophy makes too much sense today.

Well there is a glimmer of hope. I saw Frye, Brown and White make terrific blocks on the second level and on the move in space...that makes four who can do it. Still waiting on Myers, Pitts, and Mr. B.

Kubiack himself banged it all summer...we've got to get better running the ball...Isn't that what he's said for last nine months ? Brought the guru out of retirement...problem solved....maybe.

Why is it a problem...and Kubes and anyone else with a lick of sense on the staff knows this too...we can't win with in the division without a rushing attack. You're going to out track meet the Colts and Manning ? Out rush Jacksonville ? Out big play Tennessee ? The whole of our season rides on how soon the o-line can mesh and generate rushing yardage. That's it. If we're throwing fifty times a game we're toast. And Kubiak knows it too.

threetoedpete
08-18-2008, 03:28 AM
I wasn't criticizing the offensive scheme, which is absurd in pre-season. But recognizing the strength of your offense, and the emphasis for your play calling, reflects on your choices as to personnel and who will be starters. My original intent was to address the question of Slaton and my opinion that in a pass first offense, he could carry the primary load. The general thinking has been that he needs to come off the bench in a secondary, supporting role.

Not just no... but hell no. Slaton will never ever touch the ball thirty times a game and make four seasons. not going to happen. I don't care how good you think he is. I don't care how strong you think he is. He isn't Tomlinson and is never going to be. Need to wash those thoughts right out of your brain and save yourself some grief. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.The wear and tear that happens on an NFL field for a sixteen game schedule is beyond the scope of most peoples understanding. If he makes it all the way through one sixteen game season @ twelve touches a game, I'll be a happy camper. My line is fifteen touches a game. And we'll have to get very luck to make that. Primary and Slaton are two words mutually exclusive. Might as well get use to it now.

swtbound07
08-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Not just no... but hell no. Slaton will never ever touch the ball thirty times a game and make four seasons. not going to happen. I don't care how good you think he is. I don't care how strong you think he is. He isn't Tomlinson and is never going to be. Need to wash those thoughts right out of your brain and save yourself some grief. IT ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.The wear and tear that happens on an NFL field for a sixteen game schedule is beyond the scope of most peoples understanding. If he makes it all the way through one sixteen game season @ twelve touches a game, I'll be a happy camper. My line is fifteen touches a game. And we'll have to get very luck to make that. Primary and Slaton are two words mutually exclusive. Might as well get use to it now.

your line can go to hell. Slaton should be, and probably will be the primary back, 15-20 touches a game. Warrick Dunn did it. He aint that big.

Specnatz
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM

The dynamics of the league have changed. There will not be that many backs in the league who will touch 30 times a game and last 4 years. Case in point Shaun Alexander. So this big huge revelation your dropping on us is well ......... old news.

Minnesota wants a two back rotation and they have Adrian Peterson (the good one) Oakland wants to do the same thing. It is how it is in the league now.

Ole Miss Texan
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Only 2 running backs have averaged over 25 carries per game for the season since the Texans have been in existence. (Larry Johnson and Shaun Alexander in 2006). The top 5 RB's (ranked by attempts/game are usually 19-24'ish at a high point.

I actually do think Slaton can be our primary running back and/or starter on this team in this offense. I don't foresee him averaging 20 carries per game for the season, though. This may be bit premature b/c I'm still expecting him to progress some.

The thing is, this is or is supposed to be a run first offense. An offense where we run to set up the pass... and this is something we cannot do right now. It's either the OL, the RB's or a combination of the two. If Slaton is going to be our 'primary' RB or our starter, I don't really have that big of an issue at all with it (assuming he shows some improvement and splits carries). We're going to have to have another RB we use consistently.

I don't see Slaton as the RB we invision as a primary RB, a pounder, or anyone like Addai or Tomlinson, but I do see him as a guy we can get the ball to 15 times a game and use another RB that gets 10 carries or so. Regardless, I'm not happy with our current backfield and would like to see a RB we can really count on... possibly a 1st day pick next year.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2008, 02:09 PM

Can you name ONE running back who has EVER carried the ball 30 times a game for a season who was any good? One? Emmit Smith never did it. Jim Brown never did it. Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell... never did it. Ladanian Tomlinson? Nope. Never did it.

In a 16 game season, that's 480 carries. Has anyone ever done that? I don't think so. So... basically... you don't think that Slaton is going to be a feature back unless he can do something that no one has ever done.

Slaton doesn't need to carry the ball 30 times a game to be a feature back. He only needs to be able to go 15-20 times which is the average for a main back in the NFL in a 16 game season. He can do that.

I think they drafted him with the intention of him being the feature back but they wanted him to grow into the position. They didn't want to force him into it before he was ready. But with the way he's progressing, he could be ready soon.

Vinnie
08-18-2008, 02:16 PM
I was just giddy he picked up that blitzer and blocked him long enough for DA to get open down the field. It looked kind of slappy, but it was effective. He sure seems to have a lot more snap then Taylor that's for sure.

thunderkyss
08-18-2008, 02:59 PM
Can you name ONE running back who has EVER carried the ball 30 times a game for a season who was any good? One? Emmit Smith never did it. Jim Brown never did it. Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Earl Campbell... never did it. Ladanian Tomlinson? Nope. Never did it.

It's more like a figure of speech. No one wants to hand it off to the same guy that many times, not even LJ, or Ricky Williams, but they could probably do it.

That said, Slaton is much bigger than he was in College, so if he doesn't become an every down back(which is what is meant, by a 30 carry back) it won't be because he is too small.

He's bigger than Warrick Dunn. I don't care what the tape says, or what the scales say, he's bigger than Warrick Dunn.

The Pencil Neck
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
It's more like a figure of speech. No one wants to hand it off to the same guy that many times, not even LJ, or Ricky Williams, but they could probably do it.

That said, Slaton is much bigger than he was in College, so if he doesn't become an every down back(which is what is meant, by a 30 carry back) it won't be because he is too small.

He's bigger than Warrick Dunn. I don't care what the tape says, or what the scales say, he's bigger than Warrick Dunn.

I believe that Slaton is about the size of Portis (when he first entered the league) or Westbrook. He should be fine for 15 carries a game.

And if people want to say someone's an every down back, then they should just say 20 carries a game instead of 30. How hard is that? It's like I might as well say a 50 carry/game back because just as many guys have gone for 50 carries/game as have gone 30. :)

Lucky
08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
I think it's fair to say that most of the more studious Texans fans realized that the Texans would have a RBBC situation this season. That's where the Texans are at in '08 and no one should be surprised. I've seen enough from Slaton, Brown, and Taylor to believe the Texans will be OK with that. It's not an ideal situation, but it's workable. And if they can't squeeze anything out of Ahman Green, it's gravy.

I'm as excited about Slaton as I was during the draft. I think he will be part of the long term RB solution, at least. Brown can do the dirty work inside. When (not if) he's injured, I see enough from Taylor that he can backup. Someone will say, "Look at the numbers this preseason. Taylor & Brown suck!". OK, but we're 2 games into the full Gibbs system. These guys may not be running smart, but they're running hard. The little Cherokee can fix that. The line needs some time to get their act together, too.

And don't forget the Andre Johnson Factor. Just as I showed AJ's effect in the red zone (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=805423&postcount=10) in another thread, Johnson's presence also influenced the productivity of the rushing attack in '08. In the 9 games Andre started, the Texans averaged 110 ypg. Not great, but about average in the NFL. Without him, 85 ypg. Only the Chiefs, Lions, & Bears were worse. Why the disparity? Because defenses can't afford to put a safety in the box when an Dre to the post is only an audible away. Everything's better with a little AJ on it, running game included.

So is our situation solved? Hey, there's no Ferrari in the Texans garage. But, I have confidence that with the team at full strength, Alex the Mechanic can keep the Texans' Fords & Chevys on the road to the playoffs.

***Disclaimer****
Forgive me if some of these ideas have been expressed earlier in the thread, as I haven't had the time to read through it. Also there was no intent on my part to disparage Cherokees, or any Native Americans. Just little people. :)

76Texan
08-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Reggie Bush averaged a little more than 15 touches his rookie year and a little more than 19 in his second season.

I can see Slaton somewhere between those numbers.

Number19
08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't know, maybe some of you can comment, but the player that comes to mind in comparison is that hall of famer from that town in north Texas - by the name of Tony Dorsett. 5'-11", 185 lbs coming out of college. Tony was a step faster, running the 40 in 4.3. Slaton is 5'-9", but almost 15 lbs heavier at 200 lbs, and runs only a 4.4. I know it's only a pipe dream comparing the two, but we don't know what we've got until he's on the field with the 1's - and he'll get his chance against those Cowgirls.

Question - doesn't Slaton have really skinny lower legs? He's going to need an intensive off season in the weight room.

Lucky
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
John McClain's take (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/08/what_do_weary_shipp_moves_mean.html) on the RB situation? Green's good as gone.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Sunday that they knew Ahman Green would be out for three weeks when he suffered the groin injury. That means he might not play in preseason. If Green doesn't play in preseason to go with being injured for much of last season, I don't think they'll go through that with him again. I think he'll be gone.

I don't think Kubiak and Rick Smith would have signed Shipp if they thought they were going to keep Green and Chris Brown. At least Brown gained some yardage against the Saints.

To me, what they need to see in the last two games isn't Shipp or Brown. They're veterans with resumes. What they need to see is if Chris Taylor can play better than the first two games and if Steve Slaton continues to improve on a weekly basis.

We know Brown can play when he's healthy. Health is always the issue with him. But if he plays 10 games and has a couple of big ones as he seemed to do just about every season with the Texans, that's fine with me.

Slaton is the X factor. He's been running against scrubs. On Friday at Dallas, he's going to get some playing time with starters. That doesn't mean he'll start, only that he'll play with the starters at some point. Some of them will play three quarters and get the night off when they host Tampa Bay in the last preseason game.

I get asked all the time if Slaton is big enough to play in this offense. He's 203. Clinton Portis was 205 as a rookie. So was Terrell Davis. Warrick Dunn was 187 when he excelled in Gibbs' system in Atlanta.

What we know is that Green, Brown and Shipp don't have an upside. Slaton and Taylor do. And don't forget that any back who gets in the lineup has to make the right decisions when it comes to protecting the quarterback. And when they make the right decision, they still have to block the pass rusher. That always figures into the equation when it comes to coaches deciding which back should play.
I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion, based upon the signing of an unspectacular back like Shipp. Richard Justice missed (http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2007/12/looking_back_on.html) on the same prediction in December of '07. But, I do think Kubiak wants players he can count on. Green has proven to not be that type of player, here in Houston. If Kubiak can gain more confidence in his RBs on Friday Night, McClain and the Chronic may have gotten on right.

J-Russ
08-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Also, you gotta keep in mind that if we do cut Green then we'll be saving $4 million dollars.

Now we gotta ask McNair, do you want to pay $4.5 million dollar to a guy that went down in the first play of pre-season without even being touch, or do you want to keep your $4 million dollar? Answer should be simple..... unless you're Charley Casserly.

Ole Miss Texan
08-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Slaton has been regarded as at best a third-down back, due to his size. But why does it have to be that way? If he can move the chains, hold the ball, and avoid the injury bug, he could be a force. He’s got a nose for the end zone and a burst of speed that (unlike Reggie Bush) apparently is translating well to the NFL.

It’s still way too early to make comparisons. But wouldn’t it be the ultimate irony if it turns out that, two years after passing on Bush with the No. 1 overall pick, the Texans picked up in round three a guy who ends up being better than Bush?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
lol:

HJam72
08-18-2008, 06:49 PM
I think Slaton should START against the Cowboys. I ALSO think we need a first round RB next draft, even if Slaton tears it up all year, because Slaton will probably get worn down in the long run--like DD.

Otherwise, however, I am not buying into this idea that we have to be a run first team. I think we should pass half the time, REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE DO ON 3RD AND 4TH DOWNS, which are pretty much determined by down and distance anyway. Lets pass half the time ON 1ST AND 2ND DOWN. We may already be doing that, and I'm just saying keep doing what works with your current personel. I know that the time will come when we need to run a lot more, like against the Colts probably, but we can need a better running game without insisting on run first, run first, regardless of what works.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for one year? Probably. Let's find out before the season begins.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for 4 years? Maybe, but I doubt it.

Let's do what works now and get a legitimate starter by next year. An extra one wouldn't hurt anyway.

Texecutioner
08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
I think Slaton should START against the Cowboys. I ALSO think we need a first round RB next draft, even if Slaton tears it up all year, because Slaton will probably get worn down in the long run--like DD.

Otherwise, however, I am not buying into this idea that we have to be a run first team. I think we should pass half the time, REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE DO ON 3RD AND 4TH DOWNS, which are pretty much determined by down and distance anyway. Lets pass half the time ON 1ST AND 2ND DOWN. We may already be doing that, and I'm just saying keep doing what works with your current personel. I know that the time will come when we need to run a lot more, like against the Colts probably, but we can need a better running game without insisting on run first, run first, regardless of what works.

Do I think Slaton can carry the load for one year? Probably. Let's find out before the season begins.

Let's do what works now and get a legitimate starter by next year. An extra one wouldn't hurt anyway.

I completely agree. Running the ball to set up the pass and play action is not such a great plan if you don't have a great running game to initiate it. Adjust the plays and strategy to what is working.

leebigeztx
08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
I kinda wonder why walker isn't playing more. I also wonder why green is given another olive branch. I like green, but going down like he has the last few times doesn't do it for me. I thought Taylor was going to do better, but he seems to overstep the hole while pressing downhill.

HJam72
08-19-2008, 02:49 AM
I think maybe Kubiak just feels like he already knows what he has with Walker. He's still looking at what he has with others and it's just preseason.

KEYE SUX
08-19-2008, 02:53 AM
I think WE ALL know what we have with Green. An aged, injury prone, multi million dollar sideline cheerleader

Arky
08-19-2008, 05:00 AM
I kinda wonder why walker isn't playing more. I also wonder why green is given another olive branch. I like green, but going down like he has the last few times doesn't do it for me. I thought Taylor was going to do better, but he seems to overstep the hole while pressing downhill.

Saw this on Megan Manfull's blog (talking about the upcoming cuts):

Running back is another whole issue. There are young backs - Darius Walker, Chris Taylor - with a lot of upside. But then there's Ahman Green, who is clearly the team's best running back when he is healthy. While Darius Walker is still eligible for the practice squad, coach Gary Kubiak has already made it clear that Walker has done so much on the field already, that he doesn't think Walker would ever clear waivers. Another team would likely pick him up. If the Texans cut Jameel Cook and keep Taylor as a fullback/halfback, they could keep four backs. At this point, Shipp is on the outside looking in.

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/08/idea_of_cuts_loom_over_texans.html

PapaL
08-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Honestly - I could care less who starts. Hell put the twins out there, I wouldn't complain. Now when Slaton gets his touches, we shall see who ends up starting. I swear I've been saying he's the same size as CP since we drafted him. It might take him a little time to adjust but he will be our guy this season.

Texanmike02
08-19-2008, 05:42 AM

I did a long writeup here before the boards merged. Running backs that carry the majority of the load won one of the last 11 or 12 superbowls. I don't remember the numbers (maybe I'll do it again) but you can get it done with a few guys contributing as much as one star. And you do it for presumably less money than you would have paid your hoss.

Mike

thunderkyss
08-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I finally saw the N.O. game yesterday, judging from what I saw, a lot of people are going to be disappointed in Steve Slaton, when he runs with the first team.

The second team, Frye, White, and Butler look to be having much better success against their competition, that our 1st team guys.

Chris Taylor looked to be the best back we put on the field, may have been because we saw so much of him...... his biggest problem I saw, was his patience. He's outrunning the fullback, and the OL to the hole. If he would have held back on his extra gear, a second or two longer, he could have seen the cutback lanes open up, and had a good game.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I would have preferred that Kubiak didn't put Slaton in for the last series in the NO game. I'd rather put Taylor back in there to finish the game (or Walker if he was available) or just have Brink kneel down 3 times and get it over with.

He (Kube) confuses me big time.
(He said) We see Slaton as a change-of-pace type of back.
(He said) We as coaches need to find ways to put the players in a situation where they can succeed.

Yet, he's trying (IMO) to see if Slaton can do more up the middle.

As much as I'd love to see Slaton become a complete back, I'd rather take the safer approach and ease him into the rotation.
I don't even mind not playing him for a few games to start the season.

Or just let him have a few carries here and there.
Spread the field, let him run more outside zone plays, mixing with some draws, minimizing the inside zone run.

Put him in the slot, set him in motion, let him be the decoy (RB, haha), learn him to block on quick routes (so that he doesn't have to work on the defender too long), send him out on screen passes.

Depending on how well he adapts as the season goes along, slowly increase the number of touches. 12-15 toward the end of the year is the max I'm hoping for.

I'm not going to be dissappointed if he averages 2.55 ypc for a while (what Reggie Bush did in his first eight games. :shades:)

TheRealJoker
08-19-2008, 12:51 PM
I would have preferred that Kubiak didn't put Slaton in for the last series in the NO game. I'd rather put Taylor back in there to finish the game (or Walker if he was available) or just have Brink kneel down 3 times and get it over with.

(He said) We as coaches need to find ways to put the players in a situation where they can succeed.

As much as I'd love to see Slaton become a complete back, I'd rather take the safer approach and ease him into the rotation.

Or just let him have a few carries here and there.
Spread the field, let him run more outside zone plays, mixing with some draws, minimizing the inside zone run.

Put him in the slot, set him in motion, let him be the decoy (RB, haha), learn him to block on quick routes (so that he doesn't have to work on the defender too long), send him out on screen passes.

Depending on how well he adapts as the season goes along, slowly increase the number of touches. 12-15 toward the end of the year is the max I'm hoping for.

I'm not going to be dissappointed if he averages 2.55 ypc for a while (what Reggie Bush did in his first eight games. :shades:)

That would be nice if we had that luxury. Unfortunately you have to work with what you've got. From the body of work we've seen Slaton being in the game as much as possible gives us the best chance of winning. It would be great if we could ease him into the rotation, but we just dont have that luxury.

Specnatz
08-19-2008, 01:59 PM

It is simple in a way, to why Slaton is getting the carries he is. The other runningbacks of done bupkis. So Kubiak is trying to figure out the best plan for attack with the running game.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 02:36 PM
I have to agree with 3TP's line of thought here.
I hope they don't ruin another athlete by fast-tracking him.
The future of the team is more important, I'd hate for the coaches to try to cut some corner!

Vinny
08-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Saw this on Megan Manfull's blog (talking about the upcoming cuts):
Running back is another whole issue. There are young backs - Darius Walker, Chris Taylor - with a lot of upside. But then there's Ahman Green, who is clearly the team's best running back when he is healthy.

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/08/idea_of_cuts_loom_over_texans.html
I wonder what she bases this on? What he did many moons ago in Green Bay or because of his dominating performances last season and his one epic ramble this year? I mean he seemed to be healthy for at least 80-90% of that 5 yards. Too bad he broke down as he rambled past yard 4.

Polo
08-19-2008, 02:50 PM
The only position that I think easing the player along helps is QB.

I think everyone else can successfully learn on the fly.

Ole Miss Texan
08-19-2008, 03:09 PM

Definitely QB but I think CB is a really important to ease players into. If they don't have the mental development for the position, playing too early can really fry 'em. I really wanted them to ease Bennett in, and they did to an extent but he has hands down passed my expectations.

beerlover
08-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I wonder what she bases this on? What he did many moons ago in Green Bay or because of his dominating performances last season and his one epic ramble this year? I mean he seemed to be healthy for at least 80-90% of that 5 yards. Too bad he broke down as he rambled past yard 4.

"one epic ramble" comment is classic :heh: thanks for keeping this board sane :ok:

76Texan
08-19-2008, 03:47 PM

Just to name a few RBs:

Round Overall 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Drafted Pos yr yr yr yr yr
(Number of rushing attempts/game)
Joseph Addai 1st 30 14.12
Tiki Barber 2nd 36 10.33 3.25 3.88 13.31 11.86
Tatum Bell 2nd 41 5.36 11.53
Cedric Benson 1st 4 7.44 10.47
Ladell Betts 2nd 56 5.91 8.56 5.63 7.42
Lorenzo Booker 3rd 71 4
Chris Brown 3rd 93 5.9
Ronnie Brown 1st 2 13.8
Bush 1st 2 9.69

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 04:23 PM

And this groin muscle that he "felt tighten up" just keep getting worse and worse. First it was "playing it safe" then it was "He's day to day". Later it went to "He won't be playing for a couple of weeks" to "He's out until the season opener.

Today I note the following snippet: "The Texans used the available roster spot to sign running back Marcel Shipp, the former backup to Edgerrin James in Arizona. Shipp will get some carries now that Ahman Green is unlikely to see playing time until the regular-season opener at the earliest."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5952115.html

Are you kidding me? Now we're hedging our bets against a possible return after the season opener?

Goldensilence
08-19-2008, 04:27 PM
I vote PUP and injury settlement.

Arky
08-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Eheh, sometimes she says something like that and it makes me wonder if she doesn't keep a little flask of kool-aid in her purse.... ;) However, she is usually pretty objective and not prone to conjecture like others at the Chronic..

The Walker comments attributed to Kubes were what I found interesting. I've suspected that Walker would not make it to the practice squad if they attempted that route with him and she confirmed Kubes is aware of this. First time I've ever seen it in print and it must have been something said "off the record"....

The Pencil Neck
08-19-2008, 04:40 PM
Just to name a few RBs:

Round Overall 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
Drafted Pos yr yr yr yr yr
(Number of rushing attempts/game)
Joseph Addai 1st 30 14.12
Tiki Barber 2nd 36 10.33 3.25 3.88 13.31 11.86
Tatum Bell 2nd 41 5.36 11.53
Cedric Benson 1st 4 7.44 10.47
Ladell Betts 2nd 56 5.91 8.56 5.63 7.42
Lorenzo Booker 3rd 71 4
Chris Brown 3rd 93 5.9
Ronnie Brown 1st 2 13.8
Bush 1st 2 9.69

I didn't understand what your columns were until I started to reply to it.

It really sucks that we don't have a font that allows things to line up properly EXCEPT when we're in text edit mode.

ArlingtonTexan
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
I have to agree with 3TP's line of thought here.
I hope they don't ruin another athlete by fast-tracking him.
The future of the team is more important, I'd hate for the coaches to try to cut some corner!

Running Back is a churn and burn position in the NFL. Unless you have a LT2 or Peterson, you take the handful of years that a guy can play when he is ready.

76Texan
08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
I didn't understand what your columns were until I started to reply to it.

It really sucks that we don't have a font that allows things to line up properly EXCEPT when we're in text edit mode.
I know!
It really sux!
(But it's good that we have this MB.) http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

CloakNNNdagger
08-19-2008, 05:58 PM
And this groin muscle that he "felt tighten up" just keep getting worse and worse. First it was "playing it safe" then it was "He's day to day". Later it went to "He won't be playing for a couple of weeks" to "He's out until the season opener.

Today I note the following snippet: "The Texans used the available roster spot to sign running back Marcel Shipp, the former backup to Edgerrin James in Arizona. Shipp will get some carries now that Ahman Green is unlikely to see playing time until the regular-season opener at the earliest."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5952115.html

Are you kidding me? Now we're hedging our bets against a possible return after the season opener?

Our D hasn't earned its right to a nickname, but I think the front office and coaching staff have by now earned a reputation to wear the logo "Doing The Texans Two-Step"..............or should I say "Doing The Texans Side Step.":mcnugget:

Honoring Earl 34
08-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Our D hasn't earned its right to a nickname, but I think the front office and coaching staff have by now earned a reputation to wear the logo "Doing The Texans Two-Step"..............or should I say "Doing The Texans Side Step.":mcnugget:

I wonder if a guy like Green ... who came here for Sherman ... is just looking to get paid . If the Texans were a perenial playoff contender would Green act this way ?

My point is I guess , Kubiak / Smith think he should be playing by now and Green says " no" more or less testing their patience .

Hervoyel
08-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Added to the Texans Fan Dictionary and credited to CloakNNNdagger.

"The Texans Side-Step" or "Doing the Texans Side Step" refers to the Texans front office and coaching staff and their consistent refusal to be forthcoming on the injury status of a Texans player, even when such information would be of no use to an upcoming opponent. Since the first days of the franchise fans have noted that when it comes to information on injured players the Texans are only lying when you can see their lips move. When a player is injured and his status changes inexplicably over the course of several weeks it could be said that "The Texans are doing the Side-Step on that guy. We may never find out what's really going on with his knee."

A variation of "The Boselli Effect".

aj.
08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I wonder if a guy like Green ... who came here for Sherman ... is just looking to get paid . .

Players and their agents are all looking to get paid. And some who have received handsome paydays will look for more - because, you know, it might be the last one. Getting paid is the goal of every NFL player, and in most cases I can't blame them. But it's up to the team managment to decide what's smart spending and what's not because the players will always in 100% of the cases take all that they can get. Somewhere, Todd Wade, Gary Walker and Robaire Smith are still laughing ...

Kaiser Toro
08-19-2008, 08:57 PM

That hurts and unfortunately well said.

Signed,
KT
CMO
Ahman Green Optimist Society

leebigeztx
08-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I remember wwhen a.pittman was cut last yr from n.o. and the ttexans couldve got him for nothing, but that was last yr. Going forward, they should go with brown,slaton,walker, and taylor. They should also bring in davenport or alexander for a workout, then sign 1 after the 1st game so its non guarantee contract.

Ole Miss Texan
08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
I remember wwhen a.pittman was cut last yr from n.o. and the ttexans couldve got him for nothing, but that was last yr. Going forward, they should go with brown,slaton,walker, and taylor. They should also bring in davenport or alexander for a workout, then sign 1 after the 1st game so its non guarantee contract.

I remember that. New Orleans traded up with us to select him. We got Fred Bennett and Brandon Frye. They picked Pittman and then released him... I think he then signed with St. Louis (?) and then got released?

ObsiWan
08-20-2008, 05:26 PM

"The Texans Side-Step" or "Doing the Texans Side Step" refers to the Texans front office and coaching staff and their consistent refusal to be forthcoming on the injury status of a Texans player, even when such information would be of no use to an upcoming opponent. Since the first days of the franchise fans have noted that when it comes to information on injured players the Texans are only lying when you can see their lips move. When a player is injured and his status changes inexplicably over the course of several weeks it could be said that "The Texans are doing the Side-Step on that guy. We may never find out what's really going on with his knee."

This philosophy is not unique to the Texans. Everyone knows Belichick is famous for stonewalling the press (and therefore the fans) regarding the true nature of his players' injury status. Even straight-as-an-arrow Tony Dungy wasn't straight with folks regarding how bad off Marvin Harrison was (or perhaps Peyton Manning is). They aren't the only ones. I can't think of a single guy that doesn't go into coachspeak when talking about who's hurt and how badly.

My point is, this is par for the NFL course. Never let 'em know how bad off you are.

Say we want to trade for a RB, if we broadcast to all the other teams that Ahman is shot and we're desparate, guess what, that 2nd or 3rd string guy we were eyeing just became worth a 3rd/4th round pick instead of a 6th/7th round pick. Or that guy they were gonna sneak thru waivers (that we were looking to steal) stays on their 53-man roster.

I realize that as fans, enquiring minds want to know this stuff. But we aren't the only one's listening.

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2008, 05:39 PM
This philosophy is not unique to the Texans. Everyone knows Belichick is famous for stonewalling the press (and therefore the fans) regarding the true nature of his players' injury status. Even straight-as-an-arrow Tony Dungy wasn't straight with folks regarding how bad off Marvin Harrison was (or perhaps Peyton Manning is). They aren't the only ones. I can't think of a single guy that doesn't go into coachspeak when talking about who's hurt and how badly.

My point is, this is par for the NFL course. Never let 'em know how bad off you are.

Say we want to trade for a RB, if we broadcast to all the other teams that Ahman is shot and we're desparate, guess what, that 2nd or 3rd string guy we were eyeing just became worth a 3rd/4th round pick instead of a 6th/7th round pick. Or that guy they were gonna sneak thru waivers (that we were looking to steal) stays on their 53-man roster.

I realize that as fans, enquiring minds want to know this stuff. But we aren't the only one's listening.

I can accept part of that reasoning. But how many teams hide their injuries, with a track record seeing most of those players never making it back on the field?:mcnugget:

ObsiWan
08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I can except part of that reasoning. But how many teams hide their injuries, with a track record seeing most of those players never making it back on the field?:mcnugget:

No way that I know the answer to that question. But I'd bet good money that the Texans' headshed isn't alone following that strategy ...nor were we the first.

Now if you're saying that we "hold the current record"?
I don't have the data nor the confidence to argue against that viewpoint.

CloakNNNdagger
08-20-2008, 07:54 PM
No way that I know the answer to that question. But I'd bet good money that the Texans' headshed isn't alone following that strategy ...nor were we the first.

Now if you're saying that we "hold the current record"?
I don't have the data nor the confidence to argue against that viewpoint.

You might enjoy this ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3536) bit about Roy Williams from our favorite Jerry "stretch" Jones:

News: Williams missed practice Tuesday due to tendinitis in his left knee, the Dallas Morning News reports.

Spin: "It was not an injury type of thing," owner Jerry Jones said. "In my view, what I interpreted, it was just needing some rest. [It's] a chronic thing." Williams shouldn't miss any game action due to the knee, but if it continues to bother him he may get more rest during the season...................What the ????????????????:spit:

.................but Roy Williams will not just disappear into the sunset like most Texans have.

Hervoyel
08-20-2008, 08:52 PM
You might enjoy this ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3536) bit about Roy Williams from our favorite Jerry "stretch" Jones:

..................What the ????????????????:spit:

.................but Roy Williams will not just disappear into the sunset like most Texans have.

That sounds like GWB talking about an injured player

"Roy's a...Roy's a tough hombre and he's just got a little tenderizer in his knee there that's slowing him down.....just a step or so and he's going to relaxify until he's feeling copa..copastatical. Next question?"

TexanAddict
08-20-2008, 10:29 PM

"Roy's a...Roy's a tough hombre and he's just got a little tenderizer in his knee there that's slowing him down.....just a step or so and he's going to relaxify until he's feeling copa..copastatical. Next question?"

Wish I could rep you that cracked me up!
:spit:

Texanmike02
08-20-2008, 10:35 PM

stupid question. are you actually keeping a list? I see you reference it all the time. I think it would be cool to make maybe an annual poster of it, something to pull out on game day when my frie...er cowgirl fan... er.. aquaintance comes over to watch the game.

Mike

Hervoyel
08-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh yes, I'm keeping a list. It's very short right now but I'm adding an entry or so ever week just as I come across certain saying that I think are catchy or that I've seen multiple Texans fans use. It's always stuff that references things we all watched and laughed at (or shook our heads in disbelief. The list goes both ways).

I'm trying not to force it because nothing sucks more than a bunch of people trying to come up with funny stuff like this. These things are like nicknames, they have to occur "naturally" or they seem contrived and stupid. Here's what I have so far.

"Smithiak" A common Texans fan abbreviation used to refer to both GM Rick Smith and Head Coach Gary Kubiak at the same time. It is typically used when speaking of an accomplishment or action taken by the two who are considered inseperable and equally responsible for all Texans post-2005 success but is sometimes used in the form of a criticism. This is usually done by one who does not believe in "The Trinity". Credited to ObsiWan

"The Trinity" The Texans fan term for the current brain trust of the Houston Texans which draws a parallel between the Owner, GM, and Head Coach with Christianity's Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. In Texans speak "The Trinity" goes like this: Kubiak walks among us and is our example of how to play football. Smith is the force that enables us to play football the way Kubiak shows us to. McNair is the creator and has orchestrated everything that has and will happen. Credited to dalemurphy.

"The C&C Losing Factory" - refers to the 2001-2005 regime of General Manager Charlie Casserly and Head Coach Dom Capers who combined to bring football fans in Houston a 4 year record of futility that came to a depressing 18-46 total. They capped their illustrious careers in Houston with a 2-14 work of art that eventually led to their demise (much to the relief of those Houston Texans fans who managed to survive their reign). Credited to Texan Bill.

"Ocho Stinko" - A play on Chad Johnson's nickname (He wears number 85 and is known as "Ocho Cinco") used to describe former Texans QB David Carr. While with the Texans Carr wore number 8 and arguably stunk as bad as any first overall draft pick QB in the history of the game. Credited to many.

"Caught The Shoe" or "Catching The Shoe" is a term that refers to poor tackling and makes reference to the weak attempt by Matt Stevens to tackle Ricky Williams in the Texans 2003 season opener at Miami. In that game an obviously overmatched Stevens attempted to stop Ricky Williams by grabbing his foot and came away with only a shoe which he then promptly threw down on the ground (some say he threw it at Williams). This perfect picture of futility has been enshrined as a phrase in the Texans fan dictionary. Usage would be as follows; "Man, Morlon Greenwood has been getting beat like a puppy today. He's done nothing but catch the shoe since the game started!" Credited to many

"P-Burnt" refers to exceptionally poor CB play by a Texans player. To get "P-burnt" is to be beaten so bad in pass coverage that you force Texans fans to remember Phillip Buchanon and his 2005 season as a Texan. Getting "P-Burnt" is mathematically 23.9 times worse than just getting "burnt" in coverage and this formula has been independently verified by The European Fecal Standards & Measurements Board in Zurich Switzerland. Credited to BigWig.

"The Boselli Effect" or simply "TBE" is used to describe a common disturbance/distortion of reality around a Texans player when an injury of seemingly trivial or minor status keeps that player out of action for an extended period of time. This is the result of the Texans penchant for lying about the injury status of players whether it helps their cause or not. It refers to the three year on-again, off-again Texans career of Tony Boselli who was the first player selected by the Texans in their expansion draft. Tony Boselli was coming off of what was described as a relatively common shoulder surgery and was expected to play in the 2002 season. Throughout that season Boselli's "return" was speculated upon week after week until he was finally placed on injured reserve so that he could be ready and 100% for the 2003 season. This pattern repeated the next year and finally concluded at the start of the 2004 season when Tony Boselli retired from football just a week after he finally began to practice for the team. Since that time similar injury situations have come about surrounding running backs Domanick Davis and most recently Ahman Green. In 2007 when WR Andre Johnson was injured much speculation among Texans fans concerned his mysterious knee injury that was first reported as being "fortunately not so bad" yet kept him out for many weeks. Any time a Texans player is injured there is the possibility that Texans fans may see "The Boselli Effect" in action. Credited to many.

"The Texans Side-Step" or "Doing the Texans Side Step" is another term for "The Boselli Effect" and refers to the Texans front office and coaching staff and their consistent refusal to be forthcoming on the injury status of a Texans player, even when such information would be of no use to an upcoming opponent. Since the first days of the franchise fans have noted that when it comes to information on injured players the Texans are only lying when you can see their lips move. When a player is injured and his status changes inexplicably over the course of several weeks it could be said that "The Texans are doing the Side-Step on that guy. We may never find out what's really going on with his knee." Credited to CloakNNNdagger

leebigeztx
08-21-2008, 08:43 AM
I think Duckett will be cut from Seattle. If that happens and Taylor struggles, Gibbs might put in a word for his former plaayer. Some might not like it, but under gibbs, duckett had success. I always match pllayers with former coaches. If kubes could run with Dayne, he might not have a problem with T.J.

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I think Duckett will be cut from Seattle. If that happens and Taylor struggles, Gibbs might put in a word for his former plaayer. Some might not like it, but under gibbs, duckett had success. I always match pllayers with former coaches. If kubes could run with Dayne, he might not have a problem with T.J.

He does not have much tread off the tires, low carry total. And he is a "truck" at 6 ' 524 # with last year's ypc at 5.2, and a career ypc at 4.0.

BTW, he can't be too happy that Seattle is forcing him to learn the FB position.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 10:58 AM
He does not have much tread off the tires, low carry total. And he is a "truck" at 6 ' 524 # with last year's ypc at 5.2, and a career ypc at 4.0.

Wow! That's a large man! :)

CloakNNNdagger
08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
Wow! That's a large man! :)

OOPS, that's 254#...........dyslexia serves me well.:thisbig:

thunderkyss
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM

We've got Marcell Shipp.... we don't need T.J. Duckett.

Brando
08-21-2008, 11:12 AM

Wish I could rep you that cracked me up!
:spit:

I repped him...that was hilarious. relaxify :spit:

I'm not going to count on Green to be here anymore and actually, if they cut him, it will be like getting that monkey off your back. I hope he can prove us wrong in the long run.

HOU-TEX
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
OOPS, that's 254#...........dyslexia serves me well.:thisbig:

LOL! Happens to the best of us. :)

We've got Marcell Shipp.... we don't need T.J. Duckett.

Having Shipp doesn't exactly tickle my twig.

Having said that, I don't think Ducket's the answer either. :)

The1ApplePie
08-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I've been wanting the Texans to ride the D-Train for 3 years.

He's like a younger, lighter, meaner Ron Dayne

He was great in Atlanta but then got passed around as a back-up for a while.

Ole Miss Texan
08-21-2008, 09:08 PM
So one guy I liked for the later rounds last year was Tashard Choice. The cowboys have a pretty stacked backfield... dare I say it's the best in the NFL? (lol, at least I think its up there as all around).

I find it highly doubtful they release choice by anymeans but he's 3rd on their depth chart right now with 0% chance of moving up. In the offchance he gets cut for some reason, what are yalls thoughts on looking at him?

beerlover
08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
So one guy I liked for the later rounds last year was Tashard Choice. The cowboys have a pretty stacked backfield... dare I say it's the best in the NFL? (lol, at least I think its up there as all around).

I find it highly doubtful they release choice by anymeans but he's 3rd on their depth chart right now with 0% chance of moving up. In the offchance he gets cut for some reason, what are yalls thoughts on looking at him?

love Choice. if I where to change one pick knowing then what I know now I would have selected Choice @ #118 instead of Adibi (Tashard taken 4 picks later by the pokes).

have another. most people are gonna be shocked too, because he now plays for the Denver Broncos. same system & back-up FB, one question will he make the active roster or the practice squad? remember the third back in the Arkansas backfield ( McFadden & Jones)? Peyton Hillis. the really ironic thing about all this is he was selected by Denver in the 7th rd. #227. the Texans selected Alex Brink (who I also like) #224 thats three picks later after the Texans selection. weird or what (well at least to us draft geeks)?

I always thought he could flourish in a ZBS & that he was buried behind two 1st rd. RB's. Ourlads had him rated above JAcob HEster (don't know about that) good inside tackle to tackle cutting ability, solid blocker who can seal edge in support of LT. I think he will be a productive FB in the ZBS system.

Specnatz
08-22-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL! Happens to the best of us. :)

Having Shipp doesn't exactly tickle my twig.

Having said that, I don't think Ducket's the answer either. :)

With all the jokes flying about I am glad that Shipp does not tickle your twig, but does this? :hobie:

Ole Miss Texan
08-22-2008, 11:46 AM
love Choice. if I where to change one pick knowing then what I know now I would have selected Choice @ #118 instead of Adibi (Tashard taken 4 picks later by the pokes).

have another. most people are gonna be shocked too, because he now plays for the Denver Broncos. same system & back-up FB, one question will he make the active roster or the practice squad? remember the third back in the Arkansas backfield ( McFadden & Jones)? Peyton Hillis. the really ironic thing about all this is he was selected by Denver in the 7th rd. #227. the Texans selected Alex Brink (who I also like) #224 thats three picks later after the Texans selection. weird or what (well at least to us draft geeks)?

I always thought he could flourish in a ZBS & that he was buried behind two 1st rd. RB's. Ourlads had him rated above JAcob HEster (don't know about that) good inside tackle to tackle cutting ability, solid blocker who can seal edge in support of LT. I think he will be a productive FB in the ZBS system.

Haha I know exactly what your saying. I'm glad to see Hester doing so will in preseason. I liked him buy not for our 3rd rounder. It is interesting that Denver picked up Hillis. I really like some of these young RB's that have just been drafted but don't know the likelihood for any of them getting released. I can't wait to see the cuts down to 53 for all the other teams, I hope we can find some guys to bring in. If they get released, It doesn't necessarily mean they arent good but the team could just have a crowded backfield and have to make some spots.

HOU-TEX
08-22-2008, 11:48 AM
With all the jokes flying about I am glad that Shipp does not tickle your twig, but does this? :hobie:

You're going to get TB all hot and bothered talking like that. I'll leave the sausage parties up to TB and his buddy VY. :hobie::hobie:

leebigeztx
08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Shipp has nothing to do with tj. Just like mike bell, coaches bring guys in, take a look under the hood and then release them before the season so their contracts aren't guaranteed. Then if they have a injury, they bring the uy back. With tj, he knows gibbs system and has hhad some success. Kubes is kinda turn tylor into anderson. He's having trouble and is struggling. They like the big back as the 4 minute offene chain mover. Last year when green did play in thoose 1st coupple of games and they wanted to salt the game, they brought in dayne to run into the brick walls. Duckett is that kind of guy, but has a little more wiggle. I'm not 100% sure, but if duckett gets cut and taylor struuggles, his prior relationship might land him in houston. He might be the 4th qt back.

swtbound07
08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
ahem. Steven F'ing Slaton. Thats all.