PDA

View Full Version : Shane Boyd

gwallaia
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
I was pleasantly impressed with Shane Boyd last night. I know he was on the practice squad last season for the Texans before making the roster late in the season but he seemed like a pretty good player to me.

Will the Texan keep three QB's on the roster?
Could Shane play another position besides QB?

Specnatz
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I was pleasantly impressed with Shane Boyd last night. I know he was on the practice squad last season for the Texans before making the roster late in the season but he seemed like a pretty good player to me.

Going by the press conferece, Kubiac said that they will not carry 3 QBs just for the sake of having three and that if they do it will mean that he believes that the third guy can be a viable backup or a starter at some point in his future. He also said next week that Brink will play as much next week as Boyd did this week.

brakos82
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM

He looks like a Seneca Wallace type player, and he sometimes plays WR in Seattle. It was either '06 or '07 that Wallace started two games, and he was half-way decent.

The Pencil Neck
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM

Actually, I think we signed him off of Arizona's PS after Schaub went down and Nall got re-signed after we waived him.

I think getting Boyd was a stroke of genius. He looked good for the Cards last preseason.

GP
08-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Going by the press conferece, Kubiac said that they will not carry 3 QBs just for the sake of having three and that if they do it will mean that he believes that the third guy can be a viable backup or a starter at some point in his future. He also said next week that Brink will play as much next week as Boyd did this week.

That's odd, because during the off-season (or right before it) I thought Kubiak said that Schaub going down for the remainder of the season was a wake-up call for him and that he was going to seriously consider carrying 3 QBs next year (this year).

I think Shane Boyd could easily fill Ahman Green or another RB's roster spot if we cut one. I wouldn't think it to be dumb to carry 3 QBs the way the NFL defenses are these days...it's speed, size, power, and anger all directed at the guy who slings the ball.

Kubiak sometimes seems to out-think himself, IMO. I guess we'll see.

swtbound07
08-10-2008, 07:51 PM
boyd looked like the future. mobile, good decision maker, good arm. good stuff.

Ole Miss Texan
08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I never took Kubiak serious when saying he'd carry 3 QB's next season (Schaub, Rosenfels, and at the time Boyd/Gray). After season Boyd last night, I feel really confidently that he has a future on the team and I'm in full support of carrying 3 QB's if he can fit it in. I hope boyd can keep improving and Kubiak can work his magic. If Boyd proves to be a viable backup for Schaub, it really opens things up for us in the future (Sage leaving via free agency or earlier w/ a trade).

Hook'er
08-11-2008, 02:13 PM
That's odd, because during the off-season (or right before it) I thought Kubiak said that Schaub going down for the remainder of the season was a wake-up call for him and that he was going to seriously consider carrying 3 QBs next year (this year).

I think Shane Boyd could easily fill Ahman Green or another RB's roster spot if we cut one. I wouldn't think it to be dumb to carry 3 QBs the way the NFL defenses are these days...it's speed, size, power, and anger all directed at the guy who slings the ball.

Kubiak sometimes seems to out-think himself, IMO. I guess we'll see.

.....................and with how fragile Schaub seems to be!

bollocks
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I'd like to see more from Shane before declaring him the future of the team. With that said, he's extremely mobile and has a cannon for an arm. With a little bit of work, there's no doubt in my mind that he would be a more than adaquete replacement for Sage in the back-up QB position for when that time comes. You never know, Schaub might not pan out and we may turn to Boyd should he develop the way I believe him too.

That said, I've heard good things about Brink as well and are looking forward to seeing him in action this Saturday.

Thorn
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I think Boyd has potential. Brink, we'll find out this Saturday. But they are playing against other scrubs, which is why sometimes a player stands out in pre-season, not because they are really that good, but because they are simply better than the rest of the scrubs.

Which is not bad at all, but just saying........

Double Barrel
08-11-2008, 03:59 PM
I thought Boyd looked good too, FWIW. He's got running ability and a decent looking arm. Nice to have a third QB that has some potential.

Porky
08-11-2008, 04:05 PM
I was impressed with Boyd. He impressed me more than any potential 3rd stringers we have seen here imo, and he looks to have some real upside to at least be a competent #2.