PDA

View Full Version : Dead Weight

shawn76ers
08-10-2008, 01:38 AM
It's time to cut the dead weight on this team...especially after watching the game tonight.

Bye Bye Weaver, Ahman, Faggins & Damaged goods Chris Taylor "Reminds of the Spencer situation"

And i hope everyone notice how m. greenwood sat on his ass & watched cutler run 15 yds for that TD , he is getting slower & slower each yr. :jogger:

TheRealJoker
08-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Faggins didn't seem like dead weight tonight. He got beat sometimes but he also made his share of plays. It wasn't like Greenwood getting beaten around the corner by a qb.

GP
08-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Faggins didn't seem like dead weight tonight. He got beat sometimes but he also made his share of plays. It wasn't like Greenwood getting beaten around the corner by a qb.

...by a qb with the diabetes.

Cutler could have whipped his device and performed a finger-prick test while running that TD, and Greenwood would have still been beaten.

eriadoc
08-10-2008, 02:18 AM
I have been one of the most vocal opponents of Faggins, but he had a pretty good game tonight. He's never going to be a cover corner, but he made some good plays in run support tonight, and he got his man to the ground very well.

Greenwood's speed has never impressed me, and all I heard about when he came here was how fast he was for a LB.

Ahman's got to go. Taylor didn't impress me. Weaver I didn't watch.

I have not reviewed my DVR yet, so this is all from my initial thoughts at the game.

AnthonyE
08-10-2008, 02:45 AM
It's time to cut the dead weight on this team...especially after watching the game tonight.

Bye Bye Weaver, Ahman, Faggins & Damaged goods Chris Taylor "Reminds of the Spencer situation"

And i hope everyone notice how m. greenwood sat on his ass & watched cutler run 15 yds for that TD , he is getting slower & slower each yr. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/jogger.gif

I thought Faggins had a pretty nice game tonight.

Grams
08-10-2008, 06:59 AM
...by a qb with the diabetes.

Cutler could have whipped his device and performed a finger-prick test while running that TD, and Greenwood would have still been beaten.

Just because he has diabetes, does not make him less of a football player.

Revolution
08-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I can't see how anyone can say that we should cut Faggins after last night. I guess it is all the negatives from previous seasons built up because as stated a few times already, Faggins played a good game.

I was very impressed by D. Brown last night (initial thoughts).

Taylor and Green both concern me. Has any thought been given to the field causing some of the leg and knee problems we seem to always have?

Overall: very sloppy game. You could tell there hasn't been much hitting going on during TC.

shawn76ers
08-10-2008, 09:20 AM
when i say that Faggins had a bad game...i am specifically talking about his abilty to stop the RB coming out of the backfield...
yea-he looked descent against denvers 2nd string WR's - but they are nobodies.

HE repeatedly took bad angles & to me seemed scared to make that big hit on #23 for denver.

wolf123
08-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Petey didn't play real bad, but he makes to much money to be a dime CB. Ahman Green is not going to make it and I didn't think glenn earl played very well either.

Thorn
08-10-2008, 09:25 AM
AhMonI'm-Injured-Again Green is a waste of a roster spot. Screw it, let him go and do the best with what we have left.

ubecool454
08-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Come on guy its the first game that isn't for real. Greenwood will eventually be replaced by a faster more athletic Xavier Adibi, but not in the first preseason game. By the way, no one ever accused Cutler of being slow....he was coming right at us and that dude was moving pretty good.

Maddict5
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
i thought it was a solid first outing.. plenty of room for improvement especially in the run game etc but some bright spots roo..
im not going to critique anybody/overreact too bad after this game

despite the knee jerk reactions, i think we should keep ahman around though

YoungTexanFan
08-10-2008, 09:54 AM
I watched the game twice already. Here are some things that haven't been mentioned and some things that need to be emphasized again:

Duane Brown seems capable of handling the outside rush. He got absolutely blown up on a few bull rushes that scare me since they were coming from a "speed" rusher.

I am saying "I told you so" about Green. I will never post on this board again if you can find a post of mine saying he was a good pick up. Not once.

Bennett looked to have a difficult time closing and was beat down the seam (QB and WR didn't communicate though).

Faggins did not have a "good" game. He was slow to close the gap on screens and couldn't contain a RB on a dumpoff that he had a pretty easy play on.

The most impressive DB tonight was #21 Fletcher. He showed good technique in man coverage and was willing to stick a man or two. I liked that he didn't give a huge cushion.

Shaub didn't appear to have the best arm strength as he floated a few passes.

Sage didn't look too sharp.

#16 Carter will not make this team after that drop.

Slaton showed good promise at RB and at KR. He should see an increase in his snaps next week, even if Green returns.

Mario was amazing. He couldn't be blocked. e came across the entire OL to make a backside tackle at the LOS.

Ryans looked good filling the gaps and getting through the gaps.

Okoye had two really nice plays where he blew trough the line to get into the backfield.

Vinny
08-10-2008, 10:25 AM
when i say that Faggins had a bad game...i am specifically talking about his abilty to stop the RB coming out of the backfield...
yea-he looked descent against denvers 2nd string WR's - but they are nobodies.

HE repeatedly took bad angles & to me seemed scared to make that big hit on #23 for denver.Faggins takes rotten angles...consistently. I texted out an angle comment last night to some friends when he blew that one play. I thought he tackled well otherwise.

On the greenwood play (non-play) he also took a rotten angle when Cutler took off...he ran right at Cutler at first when he left his coverage instead of taking the angle to the corner of the field. That made him look much slower than he actually is (lack of football instinct).

big homey
08-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Duane Brown seems capable of handling the outside rush. He got absolutely blown up on a few bull rushes that scare me since they were coming from a "speed" rusher.
If you're talking about Elvis Dumervil, he's been praised for his ability to bull rush despite his size. It's a leverage/hand-placement thing that Brown will have to work on.

Faggins did not have a "good" game. He was slow to close the gap on screens and couldn't contain a RB on a dumpoff that he had a pretty easy play on.
Amongst those few plays he had several other ones where he was able to bring the ball carrier quickly and reliably. Not saying he's pushing for even a nickel spot, but he ought to make the 53.

Shaub didn't appear to have the best arm strength as he floated a few passes.
I'll have to catch the replay for this one, but Schaub looked sharp to me. I don't think he even threw downfield enough to "float" anything.

Okoye had two really nice plays where he blew trough the line to get into the backfield.
Plus, had he not gotten deathlocked on Cutler's TD, Cutler wouldn't have even broken containment.

Also, it looked like the whole Broncos' front 7 was committing to Taylor's carries, and I also saw 8 in the box pretty often. In a real game the playcalling would have shifted away from the run, but I believe Kubiak was more concerned with giving Taylor his carries. Give it couple weeks before you rag on him.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, but my opinions may change once they show the game again (I'm just going off what I thought I saw at the game last night).

whiskeyrbl
08-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Come on guy its the first game that isn't for real. Greenwood will eventually be replaced by a faster more athletic Xavier Adibi, but not in the first preseason game. By the way, no one ever accused Cutler of being slow....he was coming right at us and that dude was moving pretty good.

In Greenwood's defense he was in coverage running the other way when Cutler tucked and ran. I personaly want to see Adibi there this year, but call it what it was. He wasn't in a spy mode. I'm not picking on your quote I just started rambling. I agree with what you said.

Vinny
08-10-2008, 11:02 AM
In Greenwood's defense he was in coverage running the other way when Cutler tucked and ran. I personaly want to see Adibi there this year, but call it what it was. He wasn't in a spy mode. I'm not picking on your quote I just started rambling. I agree with what you said.he was but he took a rotten angle and ran directly at Cutler when he should have taken more of a horizontal path. Greenwood wasted several steps as he had to adjust his angle on the fly and it was just too late then.

aj.
08-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Anyone else hear Andre Ware's comments about Ahman during the drive home last night? It was about 10:30ish I'm guessing - when he said ... my words not his but very close to I quote: 'I hope Ahman isn't trying to pull that old veteran trick to find a way to get yourself out of a (meaningless preseason) game because that won't set very well with Kubiak.' Vandermeer quickly went to Matt Jackson in the locker room where he did a really good post-game interview of Chris Myers.

Maddict5
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Anyone else hear Andre Ware's comments about Ahman during the drive home last night? It was about 10:30ish I'm guessing - when he said ... my words not his but very close to I quote: 'I hope Ahman isn't trying to pull that old veteran trick to find a way to get yourself out of a (meaningless preseason) game because that won't set very well with Kubiak.' Vandermeer quickly went to Matt Jackson in the locker room where he did a really good post-game interview of Chris Myers.

thats really stupid..
he works really hard in the off-season but doesnt feel like playing 15 snaps? and the last thing he'd want to do after last season was 'fake' an injury.. this isnt robaore smith we're talking about here

do these 'experts' ever think something through before opening their traps?

gtexan02
08-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Ahman will be fine, imo. He felt a tweak in his groin, same as AJ. Both of them have a history of knee problems. Lets give them a chance. Its not like we have a better RB

Vinny
08-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Ahman will be fine, imo. He felt a tweak in his groin, same as AJ. Both of them have a history of knee problems. Lets give them a chance. Its not like we have a better RBGreen has never gotten through one game as a Texan. This is year two and he went down before contact on his first carry...I wouldn't equate that to AJ.

Specnatz
08-10-2008, 12:05 PM
thats really stupid..
he works really hard in the off-season but doesnt feel like playing 15 snaps? and the last thing he'd want to do after last season was 'fake' an injury.. this isnt robaore smith we're talking about here

do these 'experts' ever think something through before opening their traps?

Andre Ware and expert should never be used in the same sentence, breath, or thought.

Vinny
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Are you really going to sit here and post on the internet that a heisman winning qb doesn't know what they are talking about with football?

Pony up your heisman, or college football national championship, all pro season, or super bowl ring. Until then, shut your mouth and find some respect.

its like saying that you cannot have an opinion if your food isn't any good since you aren't a Chef, or you can't give an opinion about a car if you are not a mechanic. Everyone can bring an opinion, but to discredit Andre simply because he wasn't a great NFL QB is weak...hell, most coaches were below average players.

08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
ahman green is officially a joke to me now.

Goldensilence
08-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Are you really going to sit here and post on the internet that a heisman winning qb doesn't know what they are talking about with football?

Pony up your heisman, or college football national championship, all pro season, or super bowl ring. Until then, shut your mouth and find some respect.

Danny Wuerffel won a Heisman in '96 should we consider him an expert too?

Vinny
08-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I hit send too early if you read my adjusted post...we agree really.

TheRealJoker
08-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Danny Wuerffel won a Heisman in '96 should we consider him an expert too?

The best coaches aren't always the best players. On that same token the best players aren't always all that great at coaching.

It goes the same in every sport i've ever followed.

pittbull3
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
This thread is hilarious, with hilarious takes...Taylor did as much as he can do behind horrible run blocking by unit #1. Greenwood, just like many other players in he eague, and game one, took a horrible angle. Like many of you haven't made the wrong decision at your respective jobs....No one has fired you yet, or should they. Faggins played adequate and did make some nice open field tackles. It's game one folks.....Get it together.:thinking:

Goldensilence
08-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I would tend to think he has a better grasp of the real ins and outs of football than every single person on this board (maybe minus 1 or 2 people who have qualifications that I know nothing about)...

I guess my point is this: you can respect a person's accomplishments and game knowledge but if they don't verbally translate it well... they can be a great expert but a not so good broadcaster. See Emmitt.

Specnatz
08-10-2008, 02:48 PM

its like saying that you cannot have an opinion if your food isn't any good since you aren't a Chef, or you can't give an opinion about a car if you are not a mechanic. Everyone can bring an opinion, but to discredit Andre simply because he wasn't a great NFL QB is weak...hell, most coaches were below average players.

Not at all actually Vinny. Your sentiment would be true if I said he couldn't have an opinion in general. I'm saying that his post had no opinion other than a slam to Andre Ware. And simply put, its uncalled for and shows a complete lack of respect for people who have earned the right to have a microphone put infront of them regarding a sport where they have been dominant.

I guess you have never listened to Andre on the radio. I went to UofH and liked what he did there, but to hear him on the radio he goes off and says some really silly stuff that no coach or hell, most educated fans would. It is not discrediting anyone cause they could not play the pros very well it is the fact I have heard him, there were several threads about it last year. Including one incidint where he was talking about different sacks and said a zone blitz or satey blitzes were not really blitzes, or to something to that effect. He got mad because no one would agree with him, his partner and every caller called in said he did not know what he was talking about. Just because he won a heisman in a run and shoot offense does not mean anything, cause he proved in the NFL he could read a defense as well as David carr.

Emmitt Smith earned the right to have a microphone infront of him and if you heard him last year you would be scratching your head as to wondering what the hell he ment. Playing the game and able to make the transition from playing to talking about it are two different things.

One should not assume why I made a comment, if you do not know why not just ask for clarification. It would be far wiser than assuming.

ChampionTexan
08-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I guess my point is this: you can respect a person's accomplishments and game knowledge but if they don't verbally translate it well... they can be a great expert but a not so good broadcaster. See Emmitt.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a former pro athlete who's now doing analysis somewhere. Some are fantastic, some are just awful, and most (Andre being among them IMO) are somewhere in the middle. None of them are above comment or criticism.

In this case, the comment that Green took a dive in order to get out of playing anymore in the 1st preseason game (if that is in fact what Andre was insinuating) should be highly questioned. I don't think that anyone on this board (particularly those validly questioning Ahman's durability) had the thought run through their mind "He's probably faking it" as Green lay on the ground clutching his leg/groin. First hand experience or not, it wasn't a responsible comment for Andre to make (again - if it is in fact what he said).

aj.
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
Speaking of dead cats, did anyone else catch Casserly as the color analyst during the Steelers - Eagles the other night? It's like listening to a cross between a 1930's gangster and Ted Kennedy call a game.

Chicagotexan1
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Green is done. I'd keep him for the league minimum since that's all he can give. I didn't notive Weaver last night, but I haven't noticed him in 2 years. Faggins is a 4th corner, that's all he'll ever be.

On Andre Ware - He's tough to listen to. I love what he did at UofH, but he stinks on the radio as a personality and as an analyst for the Texans. He simply repeats what the previous comments were, but in diffrent order. It's like his whole schtick is to use the Jedi mind trick. I don't know how he has a job, but then again I don't know how Jim Rome can be so popular.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Ouch !...They got five weeks to get Adibi on line. If you get a chance to watch the Titans-Rams....we got no one who can cover Johnson. No one. And they got a three man rotation now at DE. Jacob Ford is going to be a monster. He crushed Barron on one bull rush. The guy has arms like telephone poles.

http://www.nfl.com/players/profile?id=00-0025591

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 11:35 AM
This thread is hilarious, with hilarious takes...Taylor did as much as he can do behind horrible run blocking by unit #1. Greenwood, just like many other players in he league, and game one, took a horrible angle. Like many of you haven't made the wrong decision at your respective jobs....No one has fired you yet, or should they. Faggins played adequate and did make some nice open field tackles. It's game one folks.....Get it together.:thinking:

Greenwood is a marginal athlete. If they go to war with him at the "Will" September 21 vs the tacks...we will get smoked and smoked badly. Greenwood will be the match up Hiemindinger will be looking for.

SouthSideTexan
08-11-2008, 12:42 PM
AhMonI'm-Injured-Again Green is a waste of a roster spot. Screw it, let him go and do the best with what we have left.

I totally agree ..... If he's getting hurt without even getting hit..I believe it's time to bite the bullet and kick him to the curb. We could open another roster spot for someone who can contribute. I wonder if Cedric Benson is still available????

Polo
08-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm really thinking the Texans should get rid of Weaver...

If not he's gonna take a roster spot away from a young d-lineman prospect...

Toro59
08-11-2008, 01:03 PM
It's a little early to predict, but I see Weaver gone. I'm not giving up on Green just yet. Unless, of course, someone better becomes available.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 01:10 PM
I think, but I'm not in the room and you all could well be right, everything they've done this off season points to protecting Weaver...not cutting him. Isn't he in the last year of his contract ? He's a 3-4 end stuck on a 4-3 defense. Unless someone ,a 3-4 team in dire straights, calls up Smith for a trade, Weaver's not going any where.

J-Russ
08-11-2008, 01:15 PM
*cough* CC sucks *cough*

Please get Earl or Barber in there.

Barber actually looked pretty good last night, beside getting burned by the tight end on that one play. I gave him alot of heat when we drafted him, but the pick is looking pretty decent so far.

J-Russ
08-11-2008, 01:17 PM
It's a little early to predict, but I see Weaver gone. I'm not giving up on Green just yet. Unless, of course, someone better becomes available.

yea, the guy is a non-factor and get paid too much. Cochran actually looked pretty good last night, so it isn't like we don't have someone to fall back on.

Polo
08-11-2008, 01:19 PM
everything they've done this off season points to protecting Weaver...

Like ?

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Like ?

Sign an aging LB with pass rushing skills.

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM

That is not protecting a player that is trying to get the most out of a player without taking a cap hit and having dead money. Weaver is entering his 3rd year on a 4 year contract, the first two years he has not been healthy.

Polo
08-11-2008, 02:55 PM

Protecting him by signing a player that plays his positon ?

Sounds like they're slowly trying to replace him or atleast cut down on some of his snaps...

When Kubiak says "everyday Cochran is looking more and more like a starter" I'm not taking that as a bode of confidence for the Weave master...

The only way you can "look like a starter" (on any football team) is to look better than the guy ahead of you...

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
That is not protecting a player that is trying to get the most out of a player without taking a cap hit and having dead money. Weaver is entering his 3rd year on a 4 year contract, the first two years he has not been healthy.

Oh I think that is exactly what the move was. They have Weaver under contract and they'll live with a rotation on third down. They've already swallowed the biggest portion of Weaver's contract. Makes no sense at all to cut him now in the last year of his contract. Don't know who'll be the odd man out. But they won't keep three pass rush specialist. Rosevelt Colvin, Cocheran or Kalu some one goes @ fifty three. But Weaver's not going anywhere.

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Oh I think that is exactly what the move was. They have Weaver under contract and they'll live with a rotation on third down. They've already swallowed the biggest portion of Weaver's contract. Makes no sense at all to cut him now in the last year of his contract. Don't know who'll be the odd man out. But they won't keep three pass rush specialist. Rosevelt Colvin, Cocheran or Kalu some one goes @ fifty three. But Weaver's not going anywhere.

I wouldn't discount it entirely...

And obviously the team views Cochran as more than just a "pass rush specialist"...

I would be perfectly fine with letting go of Weaver and keeping someone like Deljuan or Kalu...Cochran's going to make the team and I'm pretty sure Colvin will make it...

I just don't think Weaver offers much past being a big guy who can kinda hold his ground at the DE position...No playmaking ability, limited athleticism...

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 03:04 PM

You missed my point. Weaver does very well against the run, but how well he will do rushing is not known because of the injury. So to have a pass rush specialist is not a bad thing it is just making the team better.

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:05 PM
So to have a pass rush specialist is not a bad thing it is just making the team better.

AKA covering up for Weaver's deficiency....

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Well, we got about sixteen days. We'll see. Kinda like everyone locking in Weary. Last I heard Weary's got a problem with the screws in his leg. I'm no Cloak n-n-n-Dagger, but I'd say that's a bit of a problem for a guy under a one year contract. I also know this HC covets stopping the run on first and second down. Like I said we'll see in about sixteen days.

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I also know this HC covets stopping the run on first and second down. Like I said we'll see in about sixteen days.

You don't covet a skill so much that you completely ignore all other factors...otherwise he could just put a DT out there at DE on first and second because Weaver hasn't given any more of a pass rush than Deljuan Robinson, Anthony Maddox, or Travis Johnson...

We'll see, but right now Weave man is not what I'd like to see out of my starting DE...

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 03:13 PM
AKA covering up for Weaver's deficiency....

Not every DE can be Mario Williams, that is what a good coaches and teams do.

threetoedpete
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
You don't covet a skill so much that you completely ignore all other factors...otherwise he could just put a DT out there at DE on first and second because Weaver hasn't given any more of a pass rush than Deljuan Robinson, Anthony Maddox, or Travis Johnson...

We'll see, but right now Weave man is not what I'd like to see out of my starting DE...

You've watched him now for three years. This HC of ours. What does he do... always...he takes the devil he knows over the devil he doesn't know. This year will be no different.
They've already bought the pig. They'll put lip stick on it until next off season. That's what they do. Makes no sense to turn loose of the pig now. The pig is already bought. He plays the run well. Kubiak can depend on him. And that is what matters to Kubiak.

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Not every DE can be Mario Williams, that is what a good coaches and teams do.

No...That's not what they do....

Starters shouldn't need several other players competing to pick up their slack because they're lacking skills in certain areas...

Good teams have starters at key positions that are everydown players...Not guys who need complimentary players because they are only effective on running downs...

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:22 PM
You've watched him now for three years. This HC of ours. What does he do... always...he takes the devil he knows over the devil he doesn't know. This year will be no different.
They've already bought the pig. They'll put lip stick on it until next off season. That's what they do. Makes no sense to turn loose of the pig now. The pig is already bought. He plays the run well. Kubiak can depend on him. And that is what matters to Kubiak.

I'm not saying that they will cut him...

I'm saying they should...

I don't think we'd miss much...

painekiller
08-11-2008, 03:30 PM

Now that is a truthful observation. Kubiak will take a known on his way down over an unknown on the way up.

That kills me, but you are right that is what he does.

So that logic also means Salaam has a inside track over Frye and Butler.

Polo
08-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Now that is a truthful observation. Kubiak will take a known on his way down over an unknown on the way up.

Not necessarily.....

Guys like Kevin Walter, Demeco Ryans, Zach Diles, Duane Brown, Matt Schaub, Amobi Okoye and others have been pressed into action over known commodities without having seen much real game action...

What Kubiak does do is tend to give vets the benefit of the doubt....Doesn't mean he's gonna hitch his wagon to them though...

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
No...That's not what they do....

Starters shouldn't need several other players competing to pick up their slack because they're lacking skills in certain areas...

Good teams have starters at key positions that are everydown players...Not guys who need complimentary players because they are only effective on running downs...

So no other team in the league uses the term situational pass rusher or changes personel based upon down and distance, only the Texans. Opps I guess I have been seeing things differently in the league for a long time.

Polo
08-11-2008, 04:07 PM
So no other team in the league uses the term situational pass rusher or changes personel based upon down and distance, only the Texans. Opps I guess I have been seeing things differently in the league for a long time.

Let me show you the difference...

A team like the Bears uses a situational pass rusher not because their starters suck at rushing the passer, but because their "situational pass rusher" is outstanding...

We, on the other hand, are in this constant search for situational pass rushers as if it's a necessary position...

Other teams supplement their D-line with situational pass rushers...

We, on the other hand, seek situational pass rushers as if it is a real position...

A lot of teams can leave their DE's, as is, on the field whether it's 1st and 10, 2nd and inches, or 3rd and long....

We....Can't.....

Yes....There is a difference...

Specnatz
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Let me show you the difference...

A team like the Bears uses a situational pass rusher not because their starters suck at rushing the passer, but because their "situational pass rusher" is outstanding...

We, on the other hand, are in this constant search for situational pass rushers as if it's a necessary position...

Other teams supplement their D-line with situational pass rushers...

We, on the other hand, seek situational pass rushers as if it is a real position...

A lot of teams can leave their DE's, as is, on the field whether it's 1st and 10, 2nd and inches, or 3rd and long....

We....Can't.....

Yes....There is a difference...

What constant? This is the very first guy Kubiak has brought in that is a pass rushing specialist. So he using it to suppliment what we already have on the roster. These guys you say that are good to very against the rush as they are rushing the passer can be found where? I mean I do not recall any in FA, so the team strengthen the team the best way they could. Weaver is great against the run even with one good arm and one bad one. Colvin is not that good against the run. If Cochran continues to develop then he could be the guy who can handle both but at this time in his young career, he can not. Kalu is not an every down guy at this late stage in his career. It is as though you think you can pluck said guys out of thin air.

If Weaver gets beat out I have no doubt he will be gone before his contract is up. Which has this year and one more on it.

Lucky
08-11-2008, 06:06 PM
If Weaver gets beat out I have no doubt he will be gone before his contract is up. Which has this year and one more on it.
I wish you were right. Weaver is actually signed through 2010.

aj.
08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Weaver still has a nasty dead money hit so it's not as simple as 'just cut him now.'

Polo
08-12-2008, 09:25 AM
What constant? This is the very first guy Kubiak has brought in that is a pass rushing specialist.

Do you remember all those guys we had ? Charlie Anderson ? Shante Orr ? Jason Babin ? N.D Kalu ?

We kept guys like that on the roster because Weaver sucked as an all around DE...They wanted to justify it by trying to play him at DT...He couldn't handle it...His body couln't take it.....

So now, we just settle for taking him out on "passing downs"....He's not even a good pass rusher from the DT position...IMO...

Virtually that means that if a team decides to pass on 1st or 2nd down we're almost guaranteed Weaver won't do a thing as far as pressuring the passer...He's not a complete DE *For this Scheme*

It was a good signing in theory. It was a good signing before we picked Mario...We've made signings that haven't worked out before...This looks like one of them...No biggie...

Specnatz
08-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Do you remember all those guys we had ? Charlie Anderson ? Shante Orr ? Jason Babin ? N.D Kalu ?

We kept guys like that on the roster because Weaver sucked as an all around DE...They wanted to justify it by trying to play him at DT...He couldn't handle it...His body couln't take it.....

So now, we just settle for taking him out on "passing downs"....He's not even a good pass rusher from the DT position...IMO...

Virtually that means that if a team decides to pass on 1st or 2nd down we're almost guaranteed Weaver won't do a thing as far as pressuring the passer...He's not a complete DE *For this Scheme*

It was a good signing in theory. It was a good signing before we picked Mario...We've made signings that haven't worked out before...This looks like one of them...No biggie...

Actually Babin, Orr and Anderson were all drafted in the same year and were here prior to Weaver signing. They were part of the C&C crappy drafting factory and trying to fit round pegs in to square holes. As far as keeping Kalu around, is it your contention that having any veterans on the team that are past their prime to start is a bad thing? Mario Williams has given a lot of credit to Kalu for helping him his rookie year and all the trials and tribulations he has gone through.

If you want to change the discussion about whether or not Weaver has lived up to his contract that would be another thing. As a run stopper Weaver does his job, if he is healthy this year I hope he can at do some sort of pass rush. But having someone of Colvin's ability is a bad thing how?

threetoedpete
08-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Actually Babin, Orr and Anderson were all drafted in the same year and were here prior to Weaver signing. They were part of the C&C crappy drafting factory and trying to fit round pegs in to square holes. As far as keeping Kalu around, is it your contention that having any veterans on the team that are past their prime to start is a bad thing? Mario Williams has given a lot of credit to Kalu for helping him his rookie year and all the trials and tribulations he has gone through.

If you want to change the discussion about whether or not Weaver has lived up to his contract that would be another thing. As a run stopper Weaver does his job, if he is healthy this year I hope he can at do some sort of pass rush. But having someone of Colvin's ability is a bad thing how?

Further, Babin, Orr and Charlie Anderson were all 3-4 prospects at LB. I'm not looking up their combined # of sacks with the team...but even you, polo should see the point. Did they make twenty in three years ? Weaver is not a good pass rusher...we got it. But on the other hand he's healthy and he plays the run well....he can be complimented on third down with a pass rush guy. Got Kubes complimenting Big Earl on the other thread....I don't believe that Kubiak throws away what Weaver brings to the table for a season of snaps. We'll see.

Specnatz
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Further, Babin, Orr and Charlie Anderson were all 3-4 prospects at LB. I'm not looking up their combined # of sacks with the team...but even you, polo should see the point. Did they make twenty in three years ? Weaver is not a good pass rusher...we got it. But on the other hand he's healthy and he plays the run well....he can be complimented on third down with a pass rush guy. Got Kubes complimenting Big Earl on the other thread....I don't believe that Kubiak throws away what Weaver brings to the table for a season of snaps. We'll see.

That is what I was saying.