PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Mario over VY

Brando
08-08-2008, 05:22 PM
They are having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especially the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.:fans:

MojoMan
08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Of course, at that time all the people who were wailing the loudest were complaining because we did not take Reggie Bush, not Vince Young. When Vince Young went #3 to the Titans, most of the experts thought that was a big mistake, and that the Titans should have drafted Matt Leinert instead. Some people obviously have either very short or very selective memories.

Sal Rosenberg
08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
There having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especailly the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.:fans:

I can not believe that people are still arguing this on the radio.Mario speaks for himself but i want to call in so bad

Brando
08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I can not believe that people are still arguing this on the radio.Mario speaks for himself but i want to call in so bad

Do it!

You can email them also at sportslounge@espn1230.com I don't have the time to call in but I sent them an email.

Specnatz
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM

I believe it, cause I have had 3 people in the last two weeks say it to me and with a straight face too. :gun:

Brando
08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
This is what I emailed them.....keep in mind they were on location at a tobacco shop....

You need to stop smoking there buddy. The Titans made the playoffs despite VY. The defense and Haynesworth took them to the playoffs. Yeah I said the defense got them there. He is not a West Coast QB another reason we didn't draft him. He scored a 6 on the Wonderlic and he also contemplated retirement after his rookie year. I don't want anybody with his mentality on my team. Also on the trade down....you can't do it if there is no one willing to trade with you. It takes 2 to tango. Who cares about merchandise and tickets sales? Championships are more important. Give the team a little break, Kubes took over a horrible team after the 2005 season(2-14) to (6-10)2006 to (8-8)2007. It maybe until next year until we win the Conference but we will make noise late in the year and sniff(if not make)the playoffs.

Go Texans!!!!!!!

By all means the show is off until Monday but it would be nice if we have a lot of emails for them when they get back. Come on guys and ladies, let'em have it!:fans: :fans: :fans:

Texans Pride!!!!!!!!

pittbull3
08-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Can they get over it? Vince is a good athlete, that needs tons of help on defense and a dumbed down offense. The league will really catch up to that running crap this year. :fans:

Sal Rosenberg
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I believe it, cause I have had 3 people in the last two weeks say it to me and with a straight face too. :gun:

I might have told them never to speak to me about sports again

Brando
08-09-2008, 11:24 AM

I feel your pain.

edo783
08-09-2008, 12:48 PM

If something is said often enough and long enough, it becomes perceived reality. Unless Mario become the second coming of Reggie White X 10 there will be a certain contingent of dipsticks that will only remember what was said when he was drafted.

Ole Miss Texan
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I just don't get it anymore... 2 years is enough.

The only reason Vince was a popular choice to come here is because he's from houston and just won the National Championship. We gave carr an $8million bonus and then we're to pay #1 money for another QB? On top of that, he wasn't concidered the #1 QB in the draft. Like mentioned, Tennessee was blasted in part because most 'experts' thought Leinart should go there with Chow.

Being from Houston and going to Texas doesn't all of a sudden make it OK to draft a player #1 instead of #3 or #10. It's a FOOTBALL decision (as CC said numerous times) not most popular or because he's the hometown kid.

Thorn
08-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Reggie Bush will never be as good at his position as Mario will be at his. Vince Young might, if properly surrounded by talent and good coaching. The Mario pick was a good one, and I'm glad it was made.

Now, two years ago I was against it, but hey, like a typical politician I've flip flopped my position. LOL

beerlover
08-09-2008, 02:13 PM
now- no way! Mario is the centerpiece of the Texans defense, flashes only upside actualizing his potential = to superstar atheletes in any sport. :mario3: :mario2: :fireball: :marionaner:

thunderkyss
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
I just don't get it anymore... 2 years is enough.

We knew when this started, that this was going to be part of it for the rest of Mario's career.... 3 years won't be enough... 4 years won't be enough.... Mario will have to remain a starter, and play at a high level for years.... good for us.

I don't think Reggie is going to be relegated to "back-up" status. He may never be "THE" playmaker, but he'll be a strong complimentary player, like a Reggie Wayne, or Houshmandzadah(sp)...

QBs aren't so lucky. Other than David Carr, no other QB will be given more than 4 years, to prove they should be a starter. It's obvious Fischer is using a different ruler/standard to judge Vince Young, than many on this board is using, but long story short, this is a make or break year for Vince...... not necessarily so for Mario.

The only reason Vince was a popular choice to come here is because he's from houston and just won the National Championship. We gave carr an $8million bonus and then we're to pay #1 money for another QB? On top of that, he wasn't concidered the #1 QB in the draft. Like mentioned, Tennessee was blasted in part because most 'experts' thought Leinart should go there with Chow.

When this team paid David Carr that extra $8 mil, they were making the decision to pass on Vince Young. Doesn't really matter that they mad it in February, and not the Draft. They chose Reggie/Mario over Vince Young.

As a side note, Tenessee parting ways with Norm Chow shows how much Fischer(and the Titans) believe in Vince Young.

Being from Houston and going to Texas doesn't all of a sudden make it OK to draft a player #1 instead of #3 or #10. It's a FOOTBALL decision (as CC said numerous times) not most popular or because he's the hometown kid.

Some people will get it, some people won't. It was the right decision to make, so there really is no need to get bent out of shape when some one says contrary.

We'll see..... that's what I'll say.

But I do have to ask my self...... would we have gone to the play-offs by now, had we drafted Vince Young instead.

I don't believe so..... 'nuff said.

Brando
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
They advertised that they are home of Houston Texans football, advertised Friday they would in fact air the game and what do ya know, they showed us up, they didn't air the game.

Thanks to Steel Blue Texans for posting the link to the stream.:texflag:

thunderkyss
08-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Funny story......

I was at the game last night, going up to my seat(section 608... the nose bleeds). As I got to my section, the beer guy was at the bottom of the stairs, and I asked him for a beer.

He handed me a Budweiser, and told me it would be $7.25. I said,"$7.25 WTF.... you're killing me!!"

He laughed it off, and said, "Just be glad we didn't draft Vince Young. If we had, you'd be paying $8.25 for this same beer."

I just said, "hrmph" and continued on to my seat.

Lucky
08-10-2008, 01:03 PM
As a side note, Tenessee parting ways with Norm Chow shows how much Fischer(and the Titans) believe in Vince Young.
I think it shows that Young was a bad fit for Chow's offense. I don't think Chow was ever able to put in his version of the WCO with Young.

Offensive coordinators are easy to kick to the curb. QBs who are high picks with mega signing bonuses, not so. Texan fans should know that as well as anyone.

Texan_Bill
08-11-2008, 09:53 AM
They are having a discussion about it here on the radio in CC. A lot of people especially the host are still saying we messed up by drafting Mario instead of VY. They say the same stuff, he led them to the playoffs, he sales tickets, you know. Anyway if y'all want to call in the # is 361-884-1230. Call in and show your Texans support.:fans:

Write that radio station and tell them that they really ought to investigate subjects with which they want to discuss. Otherwise, you and other listeners will go elsewhere... Streaming radio. It's a beautiful thing.

On the other hand, it's ALWAYS nice to know who the ignorant people out there are.

ATRAIN
08-11-2008, 10:17 AM
you would think Mario's last season would shut people up about this.

Texan_Bill
08-11-2008, 10:35 AM
you would think Mario's last season would shut people up about this.

Alas, love is blind.... *sigh*

Ole Miss Texan
08-11-2008, 10:39 AM
We knew when this started, that this was going to be part of it for the rest of Mario's career.... 3 years won't be enough... 4 years won't be enough.... Mario will have to remain a starter, and play at a high level for years.... good for us.
I've known this is going to last a while... I just feel some people (not here) are arguing for the sake of arguing and trying not to say "i was wrong". I do find talk about that '06 draft pretty interesting but I find it funny when some fans (outside of houston) are so ignorant about it.

I don't think Reggie is going to be relegated to "back-up" status. He may never be "THE" playmaker, but he'll be a strong complimentary player, like a Reggie Wayne, or Houshmandzadah(sp)...
I think Reggie is a tremendous talent and extremely exciting to watch. At the end of the day he DOES make the saints a better team than without him. I think people have gotten over Reggie (myself included) as they've realized he isn't a true primary #1 running back, but a complimentary player... a 3rd down scat back like Slaton. Hence- shifted focus to VY to still try and prove Houston made a bad choice...

QBs aren't so lucky. Other than David Carr, no other QB will be given more than 4 years, to prove they should be a starter. It's obvious Fischer is using a different ruler/standard to judge Vince Young, than many on this board is using, but long story short, this is a make or break year for Vince...... not necessarily so for Mario.
True, VY really regressed last season and is not playing like a star QB. With that said, he doesn't have the talent at wideout. good news for him is it looks like they have an incredible ground game. Qb's do need time to develop into the league- season 1 for him, he did well and was using only his physical talent... now in the pros you've got to be a much smarter QB than in college.

When this team paid David Carr that extra $8 mil, they were making the decision to pass on Vince Young. Doesn't really matter that they mad it in February, and not the Draft. They chose Reggie/Mario over Vince Young. yup. VY was never in the picture when that happened.

As a side note, Tenessee parting ways with Norm Chow shows how much Fischer(and the Titans) believe in Vince Young. I view this differently. I think young was chosen and Chow wasn't happy about it. Don't know if he did/said anything behind closed doors, but VY did not fit Chow's offense. I almost wonder if they had made a decision when they drafted VY that they'd get a new OC to help VY.

But I still go back to just the logic behind the draft. Leinart was heavily favored by the experts and most thought he should go #3 to Tennessee. VY they felt should go lower, around #7 to oakland? The point is VY (i) wasn't really ever considered at #1 and (ii) most 'experts' thought he would go much lower in the 7-10 range. Just with that view, it's stupid to make the arguement afterthefact that he should go #1. It's ONLY because he was the hometown kid and I stand by the fact that that is NOT why you choose players #1. People are so "Oh Houston shoulda done this or that..." and it's more like 'oh well the Saints should have chosen Maurice Jones-Drew at #2 instead of Bush.

Mario came in a physical specimen and played decent his rookie season. Not #1 'blow you outof the water' good but decent. He did have that awful plantar fascitis and that got overlooked by the nat'l media.

Season 2, we all know Mario just completely dominated the competition.

Season 3, from what all the players and coaches have said about him, he is in better shape (if that's possible) he's leaner, stronger, faster. They can tell a huge improvement over him the year before... and is looking like he's just going to dominate the game.

Mario's one of those guys that was going to just improve year to year and I think finally get where he needs to be after year 3 or so. Well I think he found it in year 2... isn't staying the same but getting even better. The sky's the limit for him and as a Houston fan that's such an awesome feeling.

bollocks
08-11-2008, 03:52 PM
All of Young's character issues aside, I think the stats speak for themselves. Despite finishing with a higher QB Rating (a putrid measurement, for the record), Young bombed badly last season finishing with a -8 TD-to-INT ratio with only 9 TDs and 17 INTs.

Mario, on the other hand, finished last season with 14 sacks, 43 solo tackles, and a TD.

You tell me. Which player would you rather have on your team? This may very well be the end of the line for Young. Should he bomb as horrendously as he did last season, he may find himself with the likes of David Carr (competing for a spot as a backup). That is, should he choose to continue playing football in such an instance.

Wolf
08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
http://www.endzonebuzz.com/50226711/vince_young_sure_is_great_right.php

:howdy:

perception I guess:tiphat:

TheRealJoker
08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
One player is already mentioned among the elite at his position. The other might never get to that level.

If the Texans didn't have Mario, who would they have at DE to give them similar production? If people thought the defense was subpar with the premier DE in football then what would it look like without him?

We already know we'd get solid qb play without VY. Judging by the production from Schaub/Rosenfels last season it looks like we'd get better production without VY at qb than with him.

Not the same case comparing the defense without Mario and I believe even the most adamant VY supporters would agree that the Texans would be worse off with no Mario on defense than they would/are with no VY on offense.

threetoedpete
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM

It's Corpus. What the he77 else is there to do if the trout aren't running ?

threetoedpete
08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
All of Young's character issues aside, I think the stats speak for themselves. Despite finishing with a higher QB Rating (a putrid measurement, for the record), Young bombed badly last season finishing with a -8 TD-to-INT ratio with only 9 TDs and 17 INTs.

Mario, on the other hand, finished last season with 14 sacks, 43 solo tackles, and a TD.

You tell me. Which player would you rather have on your team? This may very well be the end of the line for Young. Should he bomb as horrendously as he did last season, he may find himself with the likes of David Carr (competing for a spot as a backup). That is, should he choose to continue playing football in such an instance.

Now, I've banged Vincent for the poor mechanics...the three quarters delivery of the ball, the wondering left foot....outside of a few tattoos, what the hell are you talking about here ?

I wouldn't bury Vincent quit yet. There won't be many who'll be able to man up Chris Johnson. As long as Vincent has Johnson to dump the ball to, he's going to look like the second coming of Otto Graham in '08.

I was a trade down and draft D'brickashaw guy. But I hopped on the Super Mario bandwagon quick. Mario is a once every two generations talent. If you haven't got that yet, you haven't been watching.