PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart

MojoMan
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I did not see anything posted on the current depth chart, so here is the link:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

The only surprise I see is Chris Brown at 2nd string RB, and Chris Taylor at 4th string RB. I was expecting to see that reversed.

ObsiWan
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Wow.... Weaver is still first string.
I didn't see it.
Cochran and Bulman looked better to me.
gotta be a contract thing

powerfuldragon
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
depth chart isn't final until after preseason, no?

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't even trust these depth charts DURING the season.

gtexan02
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Yikes, Taylor is behind Cook at FB, and Slaton is listed as our 5th string RB. We may not get much of a chance to see him during the 1st preseason game

tsip
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Colvin is listed as Mario's backup!? I thought the primary reason we got him was to put a rush from the opposite side of Mario. Has something changed?

HOU-TEX
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Colvin is listed as Mario's backup!? I thought the primary reason we got him was to put a rush from the opposite side of Mario. Has something changed?

I reckon when Colvin comes in Mario will move to LDE. IMO. Mario is at his best on the left side.

:texflag:

ObsiWan
08-07-2008, 08:32 PM

He probably will line up there (LDE) in obvious passing situs. Weaver may move inside to replace T.J. Remember this is the starting lineup for the first snap of the game. As down & distance changes, on either side of the ball, so will the lineups.

So the depth chart is really more to see who's on the bubble, IMO, than for anything else.

I'm a little bit surprised Colvin isn't listed with the LBs since he's also supposed to be able to cover.

Right now Zgonina is listed above Okam, but do you really think they'll cut Okam to keep Zgonina?

headsplint
08-08-2008, 12:49 AM

Ya it says "unofficial" at the top anyway.

Polo
08-08-2008, 08:51 AM
Wouldn't put too much stock into the depth chart at this point guys...

No games have been played yet....

If you notice, most of the rookies and guys who haven't played much are at the bottom

nunusguy
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM

I'm just thankful for a DC this early. In the past we might not see one at all until after the preseason had been completed.

ChampionTexan
08-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm just thankful for a DC this early. In the past we might not see one at all until after the preseason had been completed.

NFL policy requires it - even in the preseason. That should also tell you how much stock to put in it.

nero THE zero
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
He probably will line up there (LDE) in obvious passing situs. Weaver may move inside to replace T.J. Remember this is the starting lineup for the first snap of the game. As down & distance changes, on either side of the ball, so will the lineups.

So the depth chart is really more to see who's on the bubble, IMO, than for anything else.

I'm a little bit surprised Colvin isn't listed with the LBs since he's also supposed to be able to cover.

Right now Zgonina is listed above Okam, but do you really think they'll cut Okam to keep Zgonina?
We're supposed to be running a lot of zone dog stuff. I heard someone mention a play where Colvin lined up at RDE and intercepted a pass 20-some-odd yards downfield playing a zone dog.

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Yikes, Taylor is behind Cook at FB, and Slaton is listed as our 5th string RB. We may not get much of a chance to see him during the 1st preseason game

It'll be the exact opposite except for Brown and the guys at guard. The bubble guys will get the most PT for the first two games. cut down to 73 is right around the corner. Who can play and who can't ? they gotta find out quick. I dunno and I ain't in the room. The fact that they had to sign an insurance policy for a return man is not good for double S. Davis isn't going anywhere and neither is Jacoby Jones...odd man out. They're not going to keep four return guys.

ObsiWan
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
It'll be the exact opposite except for Brown and the guys at guard. The bubble guys will get the most PT for the first two games. cut down to 73 is right around the corner. Who can play and who can't ? they gotta find out quick. I dunno and I ain't in the room. The fact that they has to sign an insurance policy for a return man is not good for double S. Davis isn't going anywhere and neither is Jacoby Jones...odd man out. They're not going to keep four return guys.

They had Slaton taking reps at both PR and KR during the open practices. Tim Carter (#16) did too but he didn't look as comfortable with it as Slaton did.

Slaton will make the 53.

edo783
08-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Slaton will make the 53.

Barring some sort of unfortunate injury, there is no doubt in my mind that he will make the team. Just how good he will be is still to be seen, but he will be on the 53 come opening day.

Thorn
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
Barring some sort of unfortunate injury, there is no doubt in my mind that he will make the team. Just how good he will be is still to be seen, but he will be on the 53 come opening day.

I'm sure he'll get a few carries tonight, so we are fixing to see him in action.

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM

And there is no doubt in my mind that double SS just got a coach-a-gram. Someone loves this guy no doubt. That doesn't mean he'll make the roster of 53.

Polo
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Slaton's gonna make the 53 unless he gets injured.

KEYE SUX
08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
OK let me preface this by saying that I believe, with the evolution of the game, the NFL needs to raise the amount of players allowed. 53 is just not enough considering the amount of injuries in such a contact sport. With that being said, I do not understand the use for a full roster spot for a deep snapper. I have nothing against Pittman, I actually think he does a great job. It just seems to me that the spot could be better served with a player that can also be a back up at another position. Thoughts?

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 02:45 PM
OK let me preface this by saying that I believe, with the evolution of the game, the NFL needs to raise the amount of players allowed. 53 is just not enough considering the amount of injuries in such a contact sport. With that being said, I do not understand the use for a full roster spot for a deep snapper. I have nothing against Pittman, I actually think he does a great job. It just seems to me that the spot could be better served with a player that can also be a back up at another position. Thoughts?

Well the owners just took a bath with NFL Europe. They are licking their wounds.
They just voted out of the current CBA. I wouldn't be looking for an expansion of anything until they corral the rookie saleries. JMHO

And Kubiak will cut the deep snapper with one bad snap in four years when pigs fly. You can take that one to the bank. Double S will go PS befor Pittman is out dangling on the waiver wire.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2008, 04:24 PM

Long Snapper is one of the most important spots on the team. Having a good LS is essential. You don't want to see balls flying over kicker's heads or rolling out to them. Bad plays like that will just wreck any momentum you have. Long Snapping is one of those positions that you only notice when it's going wrong and it's easy to forget how good you have it.

Leave Pittman alone.

And Slaton makes the 53.

KEYE SUX
08-09-2008, 04:40 PM
My comment was not about Pittman. It was more about the need for more players on the roster. But with the limited amount of roster spots I feel that the LS can be a backup at another position

MojoMan
08-18-2008, 07:16 PM
The Depth Chart was updated today at HoustonTexans.com. Here is the link:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

Once again, no real shockers. Fred Weary was removed from the roster, and Chris White is listed at #2 at both Center and Right Guard.

Also, Chris Taylor has moved up to 3rd string RB, with Steve Slaton 4th string and Darius Walker at 5th string. I know for some people, the big news will be Steve Slaton at 4th string. He will get his chance to start with the first team on Friday, so we will all have a better sense of where he fits in by Saturday morning.

Jacoby Jones is still listed as 1st string Punt Returner.

jaayteetx
08-18-2008, 07:33 PM
When will the first cuts be coming?

MojoMan
08-18-2008, 08:02 PM
When will the first cuts be coming?

KEY DATES
Aug. 26: Roster cut to 75
Aug. 30: Roster cut to 53
Aug. 31: Practice squad named
Sept. 7: Season opener

barrett
08-18-2008, 09:05 PM
I know for some people, the big news will be Steve Slaton at 4th string. He will get his chance to start with the first team on Friday, so we will all have a better sense of where he fits in by Saturday morning.

to clarify, he won't START. Kubiak made it very clear on 610 that he's not "starting". He'll get reps with the 1's. that's it.