PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Jenkins?

Texecutioner
08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Has anyone watched the young WR we got out of Miami with the last named Jenkins? I was reading an article about him today in the chronicle. How good was this guy at Miami, and how well does he look so far? Anyone have answers to this?

infantrycak
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
UDFA 5'10" 188lbs

Miami profile (http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/jenkins_darnell01.html)

Stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=146476)

Draftscout (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=11021)

Silver Oak
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
I guess Jenkins would be in competition with Williams for the 5th spot...assuming of course that they carry 5 though the season? Here's what the Texans have listed on their roster as their camp WR's.

Andre Johnson
Andre Davis
Kevin Walter
Jacoby Jones
Tim Carter
LeRon McCoy ?
Mark Simmons ?
Harry Williams

HOU-TEX
08-06-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess Jenkins would be in competition with Williams for the 5th spot...assuming of course that they carry 5 though the season? Here's what the Texans have listed on their roster as their camp WR's.

Andre Johnson
Andre Davis
Kevin Walter
Jacoby Jones
Tim Carter
LeRon McCoy ?
Mark Simmons ?
Harry Williams
IMO, he's got his work cut out for him.

Here's their preliminary depth chart. Which doesn't really mean a whole lot, but.....

Offense
POS First String Second String Third String Fourth String Fifth String
WR Andre Johnson André Davis Tim Carter LeRon McCoy Harry Williams
LT Duane Brown Ephraim Salaam
LG Chester Pitts Kasey Studdard Mark Fenton
C Chris Myers Chris White Greg Eslinger
RG Mike Brisiel Fred Weary Scott Jackson
RT Eric Winston Rashad Butler Brandon Frye
TE Owen Daniels Mark Bruener Joel Dreessen Ryan Krause
WR Kevin Walter Jacoby Jones David Anderson Darnell Jenkins Mark Simmons
QB Matt Schaub Sage Rosenfels Shane Boyd Alex Brink
RB Ahman Green Chris Brown Darius Walker Chris Taylor Steve Slaton
FB Vonta Leach Jameel Cook Chris Taylor

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depthchart.asp

gtexan02
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Andre Johnson
Andre Davis
Kevin Walter
Jacoby Jones
Tim Carter
LeRon McCoy ?
Mark Simmons ?
Harry Williams

Don't forget David Anderson, who Kubes really likes because of his willingness to shag punts

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2008, 04:49 PM

Andre Johnson
Andre Davis
Kevin Walter
Jacoby Jones
Tim Carter
LeRon McCoy ?
Mark Simmons ?
Harry Williams

From what I've heard, LeRon McCoy has looked good in practice. Last year, Harry Williams looked good but I haven't heard as much buzz about him this year.

So I think it's like this:

1 - Andre Johnson
2a - Kevin Walter
2b - Andre Davis
4 - Jacoby Jones
5a - David Anderson
5b - LeRon McCoy
5c - Darnell Jenkins
8a - Harry Williams
8b - Tim Carter
10 - Mark Simmons

But we'll have to see how the guys look against Denver.

Porky
08-06-2008, 04:55 PM
From what I've heard, LeRon McCoy has looked good in practice. Last year, Harry Williams looked good but I haven't heard as much buzz about him this year.

So I think it's like this:

1 - Andre Johnson
2a - Kevin Walter
2b - Andre Davis
4 - Jacoby Jones
5a - David Anderson
5b - LeRon McCoy
5c - Darnell Jenkins
8a - Harry Williams
8b - Tim Carter
10 - Mark Simmons

But we'll have to see how the guys look against Denver.

I think Carter is neck and neck with Anderson, but that's just my take based on what I have heard.

Silver Oak
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Don't forget David Anderson, who Kubes really likes because of his willingness to shag punts

my mistake in leaving Anderson off the list.

nice to know the competition should have us leaving camp with 5 good receivers irregardless of who wins jobs.

footnote: I didn't realize Walter was the same height as Andre Johnson is (6-3) until I studied the roster a bit.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
I think Carter is neck and neck with Anderson, but that's just my take based on what I have heard.

That means there's a log jam for that 5th WR slot.

ObsiWan
08-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Has anyone watched the young WR we got out of Miami with the last named Jenkins? I was reading an article about him today in the chronicle. How good was this guy at Miami, and how well does he look so far? Anyone have answers to this?

The one standout play I saw Jenkins make during T/C was on an end-around. Once he turned the corner, it was all over for the defense. He looked every bit as fast as Slaton on that play. I think that was during the first camp weekend. And I believe he was running with the twos...

tsip
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
That means there's a log jam for that 5th WR slot.

Walter and Davis had solid years last year- Davis with his speed and Walter with abilty to get open and catch everything thrown to him. We still don't know what Jones is going to give long term--please, not another Mathis- but here's hoping he can live up to his potential.

Offensively, IMO. our only ? is at RB. We threw for 8 more tds than our previous high (24 vs 16) and only gave up 22 sacks. Too, we're solid at TE.

Our qualty depth has come a long way since Kubiak took over, and we should see postive results on the field as these same players continue to develope.

DiehardChris
08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
The other day I heard Kubiak going down the list of WRs, talking about their positives and all of that. He went down the list, and when he got to Jenkins all he said was "he has tremendous speed" then something about how hard it's going to be for him to make the team.

Everyone's already known about his tremendous speed, so I guess I would think Kubes would have more to say aside from that.

Obviously, he could have just been running through the list not worrying about how people interpreted the comments, so take that FWIW.

The Pencil Neck
08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
The other day I heard Kubiak going down the list of WRs, talking about their positives and all of that. He went down the list, and when he got to Jenkins all he said was "he has tremendous speed" then something about how hard it's going to be for him to make the team.

Everyone's already known about his tremendous speed, so I guess I would think Kubes would have more to say aside from that.

Obviously, he could have just been running through the list not worrying about how people interpreted the comments, so take that FWIW.

At least we should be able to stuff Jenkins on the PS.

Unless he really lights some things up.

beerlover
08-07-2008, 03:47 AM
does he have any cb skills or standout special team ability we don't know about? those are the things that he would need to excel at to make this team besides adding depth to the reciever position.

ObsiWan
08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
At least we should be able to stuff Jenkins on the PS.

Unless he really lights some things up.

He might take Harry Williams' place on the P/S

gary
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
I saw another thread about Steve Smith I don't think we need him. I think we have enough WR to pick from. Agree?

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I saw another thread about Steve Smith I don't think we need him. I think we have enough WR to pick from. Agree?

Well, first and foremost, there's no way Steve Smith will be traded anytime soon by the Panthers. He's a FREAK of an athlete and one of the best wideouts in the league. So, it's not going to happen.

However, if we could get him, then we'd be fools not to. Our offense would immediately go into overdrive. We would have 2 clear #1 receivers both of whom are in the top 10-12 receivers in the league.

But the price for a player like that would be prohibitive. His salary would make it hard for us to re-sign our other players later. We'd have to give up good players and/or picks to get him.

Ultimately, it's just a pipe dream. There is no way that it happens.

TexansSeminole
08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
This guy was a good receiver at Miami, and really their only receiving weapon last year. Not sure he will work in the NFL as he was a deep threat and I don't see him consistently catching passes over the middle.

He's pretty small boned.

Sal Rosenberg
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Someone told me Kubes got mad because Jenkins b/c he ran over Kris Brown

tsip
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM

I agree. IMO, we can live with our WR/TE. But, like our 'catchers' were an unknown last year, so are the RB's this year. Now, if Green could bounce back to his old self or someone else step up, it could get very interesting...in a positive way..

gary
08-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Agreed.