PDA

View Full Version : All eyes on Duane Brown vs. Broncos Saturday ?

nunusguy
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
It’s hoped Brown’s daily study-hall sessions opposite Mario Williams, who found himself in the same oversized shoes two summers ago, have sufficiently prepared him for this first test against the Broncos. For at least a series, Brown will have to contend with the Broncos’ often confounding Elvis Dumervil, whose 121/2 sacks in 2007 weren’t far behind Williams’ 14.
But the job has been made the rookie’s to lose. Toward that end, head coach Gary Kubiak said Brown could play as much as a half against the Broncos as he pursues his football graduate degree.
“He’ll definitely play longer than the rest of the first group,” Kubiak said. “He needs reps. His playing time will be different from everyone else’s.”
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5927149.html
I dunno, guess that is what we might call a rhetorical question ?
I know I'm going to be watching him more than anybody else.
He's been practicing aginst a big, strong, fast Mario and now he's going to play in his Texans debut against a not so big but faster Elvis Dumervil. In other words a Dwight Freeney type speed rusher coming off the edge.
Good Chronical article by Dale Roberston.

threetoedpete
08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Five fingers making a fist takes a little time. I wouldn't push the panic button if he has trouble with the speed rushers at first. Can you imagine what the o-line practice will be like tuesday if they lay an egg ?

Meyers is the one I'm worried about.

I'm praying one of the young safeties gets a couple of opportunities this pre-season and we finally put an end to the C.C. & Earl experiment.

And. will Steve Slayton distinguish himself on the field when he does not have the ball in his hands ? Inquiring minds want to see it.

nunusguy
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
And. will Steve Slayton distinguish himself on the field when he does not have the ball in his hands ? Inquiring minds want to see it.

Yea, after Brown this is the next rookie I'm most interested in seeing Saturday night. Now I dunno, but I'm gonna guess that blocking is a foreign concept to young Mr. Slayton at this early stage in his career in the NFL ?

Ole Miss Texan
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Can't wait, this will be a good test for our entire OL but particularly Duane Brown. I'll be watching him on every snap but am also interested in Myers as well and the RG competition. Duane vs. Elvis... I won't be surprised if Brown gets his butt kicked but it's the perfect first test for the rookie. Practice everyday against Mario and then 1st game against a great pass rusher. Can't wait to see our run blocking. I'll also focus on... (quick summary)

QB- just make sure Schaub looks good and sit him, play sage a bit and lets see the majority of snaps go to Boyd and Brink.

RB- just make sure Green looks healthy, but let's see the competition with walker, taylor, and brown/bell. I look forward to watching what slaton can do.

TE- I really won't pay too much attention here to be honest.

WR- just make sure Dre looks healthy, see how Jacoby has progressed during the offseason, keep Davis and walter healthy. Competition for that 5th spot! Anderson, Carter, Jenkins!? they'll see plenty of action.

DE- just make sure Mario stays healthy, how does Weaver look and Colvin/Thompson at pass rushing.

DT- just make sure Amobi stays healthy- does he come out and dominate like Mario last year? how does TJ look and Oh man Okam.. can't wait to watch him.

LB- just make sure Demeco stays healthy. Diles and Adibi should see plenty of reps, looking forward to that.

CB- just make sure Bennett stays healthy... and I'd like to see if he's improved. Can't wait to see the Reeves addition and especially Antwaun Molden. Wonder who the 4th /5th cb's may be- fletcher/faggins/wynn?

S- just make sure Demps/Brown are healthy- looking forward to see Earls recovery and if Harrison can be a viable backup/starter by the end of the year. Is Ferguson going to make the team or is he too old, etc.

Coaching- How much say does Shanahan have, can't wait to see his style and the plays he selects and when, how aggressive will he be. Gibbs coaching of the OL too. And will we be pass rushing some LB's more or will our DL be dominant!?

gtexan02
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
lol thats quite a list of things to focus on :)
I guess thats what tivo/dvr are good for!

My main problem with the preseason is judging how much success or failure a guy has based on who he is going up against and with.

For example:

Lets say Denever has great 1s and horrible 2s. And lets say Ahman runs with the 1s and chris taylor with the 2s. Now lets say Ahman has 5 rushes for 15 yards and Taylor breaks off 5 rushes for 30 yards.

Who is better?

Its complicated by the fact that our 1s and 2s are different groups as well.
Lets say our group of 1s in the run block game are great, and our group of 2s is really struggling with the zone blocking.
Now Ahman gets 30 on his 5 carries and Taylor gets 15 on his 5 carries.

Same problem

A lot of times you can get a "feel" for how a person is progressing (Jacoby was light years ahead of the other 2s last year during preseason), but its difficult to really identify who is doing what as an individual, and who is being hindered by his own team's reserves or helped by the deficinices of the other teams.

I love the preseason, but I sure do feel sorry for the coaches who have to make some sort of decision on who to keep from the results. You can cut the guys who make totally boneheaded moves, but everyone else, sheesh good luck

Polo
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I won't be looking at any player specifically...

I normally notice a lot of things just from watcing...

I'll record the game and look at specific players later....

Hopefully I'll be at the game so I'll be looking moreso for team things...

Like how well we're running the ball...How the Oline gets to the 2nd level...How the defense is flying around...how the secondary is playing...ect...

Hagar
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I don't want to be negative here but wanting him to be competitive his first year may be too much to ask. First, he's got to come in an learn a new system. Then he came in overweight, which is not good in this system. And finally, he's been exposed to this heat down here for the first time.

I definately think we should play him and get him exposed to the NFL, but just don't get your hopes up too much.

nunusguy
08-06-2008, 11:28 AM
If he's starting the game (which sounds like he will be), that means he'll be responsible for Schaub's backside for atleast a series or 2. So until I develope some confidance in him, that knowledge will leave me a little anxious but I won't be the only one.

TheRealJoker
08-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Good test for Brown having his first NFL action come against the best up and coming edge rusher in the NFL. It will certainly give him a good look at what he'll have to work on when he's matched up against Dwight Freeney 2x a year.

Personally, its not the edge rushers i'm worried about with Brown, he's got the feet to stay with them its just all about getting the timing down and recognizing the plays, his options on said play, etc. Its the bull rushers like Mario that I believe will be the biggest matchup problems for our young rookie LT. His strength at the point of attack is a question mark because he's a smallish LT. But its great that he gets to practice against imo his worst matchup all the time to make that a strength.

TK_Gamer
08-06-2008, 12:42 PM
lol thats quite a list of things to focus on :)
I guess thats what tivo/dvr are good for!

My main problem with the preseason is judging how much success or failure a guy has based on who he is going up against and with.

For example:

Lets say Denever has great 1s and horrible 2s. And lets say Ahman runs with the 1s and chris taylor with the 2s. Now lets say Ahman has 5 rushes for 15 yards and Taylor breaks off 5 rushes for 30 yards.

Who is better?

Its complicated by the fact that our 1s and 2s are different groups as well.
Lets say our group of 1s in the run block game are great, and our group of 2s is really struggling with the zone blocking.
Now Ahman gets 30 on his 5 carries and Taylor gets 15 on his 5 carries.

Same problem

A lot of times you can get a "feel" for how a person is progressing (Jacoby was light years ahead of the other 2s last year during preseason), but its difficult to really identify who is doing what as an individual, and who is being hindered by his own team's reserves or helped by the deficinices of the other teams.

I love the preseason, but I sure do feel sorry for the coaches who have to make some sort of decision on who to keep from the results. You can cut the guys who make totally boneheaded moves, but everyone else, sheesh good luck

I think the coaches look more at do they run the play, are they out of position. It would be near impossible to judge performance or ability based on matchup. If a player has a chance to make a play and they do then they gain ground if they fail to make the play when it's there they lose ground. I remember allways hearing Kubiak talking about "we missed a chance to make some plays" and comments like that many times during postgame interviews. That's what I base my oppinion on.

steelbtexan
08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I'm going to be watching

OL Meyers & Brown

RB Slaton

DL Maddox Thompson & Okam

LB Diles & Adibi

DB Molden (I want to see how he holds the edge against the run) & Harrison

pittbull3
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
All eyes are always on the rookies and guys looking to continue their rise to greatness. Brown, Slaton, Molden, etc....along with People looking to see if Mario's last 7 games were a fluke, or simply him coming into his own. The fact of the matter is this, IT'S PRESEASON, and no team will show what they will do within regular seeason format. The best thing you can do is look for technique and a willingness to compete. No matter what Brown sees through preseason, nothing will prepare him for the Steelers 3-4 defense, and "blitzburgh". Let's pray he progresses enough to handle the constant testing game #1.:pirate:

Polo
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
It's not all that hard to judge ability....

I mean....look at Jacoby last year....

Even though his pre-season performance didn't translate to the regular season, is anyone doubting that the kid has talent ?

I don't care if starters are playing against third stringers....It's the NFL...everyone out there has lots of ability...The gap between a third teamer and a first stringer in the NFL, on average, is not all that big a differnce IMO.

If a rookie gets out there and does really well against second and third stringers don't take the performance with too big a grain of salt...

It may not translate, but these games will definitely let you know who has skills...

Ole Miss Texan
08-06-2008, 01:08 PM
I think a big thing about Jacoby's success last year was because our special teams were better than the other teams'. The Texans have really good special teams play, one of the better in the nfl in my opinion. Not talking so much about the returners but the guys blocking for the returners. Luckily that did translate to the regular season and we saw success there. Go Marciano!

76Texan
08-06-2008, 02:04 PM
I'll be looking for the new guys, the sophomores and the rookies.

But the least of my concern are Brown, Myers, and Slaton.

badboy
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Yea, after Brown this is the next rookie I'm most interested in seeing Saturday night. Now I dunno, but I'm gonna guess that blocking is a foreign concept to young Mr. Slayton at this early stage in his career in the NFL ?I assume that SS will not be doing much blocking but will be involved with mis-direction type plays when not toting the rock.

Hooston Texan
08-06-2008, 05:06 PM
I assume that SS will not be doing much blocking but will be involved with mis-direction type plays when not toting the rock.

Slaton had better be ready to pass-protect or we simply cannot afford to play him. An NFL RB who doesn't pick up pass-rushers (particularly blitzing LBs) will get his QB killed. I'm worried enough about Schaub's health with a rookie guarding his backside, but having a shaky RB guarding him is a real problem.

As for Brown, he's played against Dumervil before in the 2005/06 Gator Bowl. I'm not sure how much he lined up against Elvis, but the Hokies held him to 1 solo tackle and no sacks. But that game is more famous for Marcus Vick stomping Dumervil's knee after a dead ball. Oh, those Vicks.

76Texan
08-06-2008, 05:10 PM
I assume that SS will not be doing much blocking but will be involved with mis-direction type plays when not toting the rock.
I was pleasantly surprised that Slaton was asked to do quite a bit of blocking and picking up blitzes at W. Va.

All the young RBs need to learn more about that aspect of the game, Slaton included. But I can tell you that he's pretty smart about it.

barrett
08-06-2008, 06:09 PM
in his 610 interview he said that's the #1 thing he has to work on. blocking.

BSofA04
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
in his 610 interview he said that's the #1 thing he has to work on. blocking.

:thud:

Insideop
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Five fingers making a fist takes a little time. I wouldn't push the panic button if he has trouble with the speed rushers at first. Can you imagine what the o-line practice will be like tuesday if they lay an egg ?

Meyers is the one I'm worried about.

I'm praying one of the young safeties gets a couple of opportunities this pre-season and we finally put an end to the C.C. & Earl experiment.

Why are you "worried about" Myers? He started for Denver most of last year and has several years of being in their ZB system which Gibbs installed.

TheRealJoker
08-06-2008, 10:09 PM
If Brown is playing longer than the other starting OL that means he'll get to see some time against Dumervil AND Jarvis Moss (Denver's 07 1st round pick). That's two good edge rushers, we'll have a pretty good idea of where Brown is at after the game if he plays a half. If he can hold his own against those 2 in his first NFL action i'm gonna feel really good about Schaub's blindside this season.

If he doesn't then i'm gonna just have to hope Gibbs gets him where he needs to be by the start of regular season!!!

beerlover
08-07-2008, 03:59 AM
see no sense in starting another thread in regards to Mr. Brown but check out "10 questions with Duane Brown" on the main website- http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4472

I was shocked with this past draft (whats new?) taking Brown this early with no 2nd rd. pick but you know I like his apptitude for the LT position, kinda reminds me of another Brown who went to Arizona last year :cool: I think he's gonna be a player the Texans covet for many years to come, even winding up to be the best LT in the 08 draft class. as he continues to grow into the position his value is going to shoot higher & a reason why I had ranked him as a must extend player/contract on another thread, even without the benefit on one single NFL game under his belt.

nunusguy
08-07-2008, 08:19 AM
see no sense in starting another thread in regards to Mr. Brown but check out "10 questions with Duane Brown" on the main website- http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4472

I was shocked with this past draft (whats new?) taking Brown this early with no 2nd rd. pick but you know I like his apptitude for the LT position, kinda reminds me of another Brown who went to Arizona last year :cool: I think he's gonna be a player the Texans covet for many years to come, even winding up to be the best LT in the 08 draft class. as he continues to grow into the position his value is going to shoot higher & a reason why I had ranked him as a must extend player/contract on another thread, even without the benefit on one single NFL game under his belt.
WOW, just WOW BL ! When you fall in love, you fall hard big boy because I know how strongly you felt about last years #5 overall pick in the NFL Draft !
Comparing our rookie OT Brown to the Cards rookie OT Brown of last year is indeed high praise coming from you. I sure hope you're right about him.

Silver Oak
08-07-2008, 04:45 PM
If he's starting the game (which sounds like he will be), that means he'll be responsible for Schaub's backside for atleast a series or 2. So until I develope some confidance in him, that knowledge will leave me a little anxious but I won't be the only one.

surely they'll leave the RB in for help until they see if he is handling the rusher or not?

:fans:

Malloy
08-07-2008, 06:02 PM
*cough* If anyone records the pre-season games I would love a copy, send me a msg if you can make a digital copy and are willing to share it :) *cough*

beerlover
08-09-2008, 10:21 AM
WOW, just WOW BL ! When you fall in love, you fall hard big boy because I know how strongly you felt about last years #5 overall pick in the NFL Draft !
Comparing our rookie OT Brown to the Cards rookie OT Brown of last year is indeed high praise coming from you. I sure hope you're right about him.

very similar players, Duane is a little more athletic however that fits what Gibbs likes to do, but in the end it still comes down to your comptitive nature & ability to outbattle your opponent. I would just ask Texans fans to be patient with his development, know he will learn from his mistakes, that by the end of the year if the Texans are in some kind of playoff contention Duane Brown is probably a big reason why, cause Texans can run the ball & protect Schaub/Sage...........:wesmantexanfan:

Hagar
08-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Ok, so I took my binoculars and specifically watched Duane Brown on each play. For the most part, I couldn't tell you what any other offensive player did in the first half. Heck, I didn’t even realize Green got hurt again.

What can I say but OMG, this kid is good, real good.

Duane got beat on one play. That’s it, one. It was a running play in the first series of downs. The DE for the Broncos stunted to the inside and Duane missed him. Taylor was hit at the line of scrimmage for little to no gain. Otherwise, Duane pretty much manhandled his opponent on the rest of the plays.

I have to eat a little crow on this one. I was a Na Sayer on draft day thinking this pick was a reach. I was wrong. From what I saw and if Brown keeps learning and getting better (which he should), he was a steal at the 26th pick.

GP
08-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Ok, so I took my binoculars and specifically watched Duane Brown on each play. For the most part, I couldn't tell you what any other offensive player did in the first half. Heck, I didn’t even realize Green got hurt again.

What can I say but OMG, this kid is good, real good.

Duane got beat on one play. That’s it, one. It was a running play in the first series of downs. The DE for the Broncos stunted to the inside and Duane missed him. Taylor was hit at the line of scrimmage for little to no gain. Otherwise, Duane pretty much manhandled his opponent on the rest of the plays.

I have to eat a little crow on this one. I was a Na Sayer on draft day thinking this pick was a reach. I was wrong. From what I saw and if Brown keeps learning and getting better (which he should), he was a steal at the 26th pick.

Thank you for doing that at the game tonight. I will now watch the re-air on NFLN to try and see as much of Duane as I can. Was good, for me, to know what you thought of him so I can try and see it, too, when I watch the re-air.

Good job, broseph.