PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News!! Roof Closed For Sat!

barrett
08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
This just in.... In an unprecedented move by the Houston Texans Organization, the folks over at "gridiron Texas" have decided to close the roof for this saturday's game against the Denver Coloradoans. The team sighted concerns about Moonburns and Nights sweats as well as a fear of potential meteor showers around the 3rd quarter. "Fear not." says Donnie Domerson assistant roof dude with "gridiron". Sitting in his chilly air conditioned office he continued, "We've got the best interest of the fans in mind and we will absolutely not allow the moon to play a part in this critical contest."

Things are looking up for the Texans. But if you're a fan, don't bother... there's nothing to see up there.

Go Texans.

JWarren14
08-05-2008, 04:29 PM
20% chance of percipitation is like Ollie from Family Guy saying "ITS GUNNNA RAIN!!!" Oh well roof open/closed I am ready for Texans Football anyway I can get it. Its only preliminary so maybe they will open it up.:texflag:

nero THE zero
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Doesn't bother me. Nighttime doesn't provide much relief from the heat in the middle of August.

ObsiWan
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
With the roof closed the crowd noise - assuming we don't sit on our hands because "its just preseason" - will be trapped and we can drive the Denver offense nuts.

Brandon420tx
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
With the roof closed the crowd noise - assuming we don't sit on our hands because "its just preseason" - will be trapped and we can drive the Denver offense nuts.

Do it! I bet it will fire up the team for the season

barrett
08-05-2008, 06:54 PM
...Oh well roof open/closed I am ready for Texans Football anyway I can get it. Its only preliminary so maybe they will open it up.:texflag:

me too. i was just being difficult. I'm excited as can be!

DiehardChris
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
This just in.... In an unprecedented move by the Houston Texans Organization, the folks over at "gridiron Texas" have decided to close the roof for this saturday's game against the Denver Coloradoans. The team sighted concerns about Moonburns and Nights sweats as well as a fear of potential meteor showers around the 3rd quarter. "Fear not." says Donnie Domerson assistant roof dude with "gridiron". Sitting in his chilly air conditioned office he continued, "We've got the best interest of the fans in mind and we will absolutely not allow the moon to play a part in this critical contest."

Things are looking up for the Texans. But if you're a fan, don't bother... there's nothing to see up there.

Go Texans.

Must spread rep...

Double Barrel
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm there to watch the action on the field, so I could care less if that sunroof is open or closed.

aj.
08-05-2008, 07:34 PM
At the risk of re-opening the old worn out no-win debate, from my seat, the roof opening (open or closed) seems to be part of the peripheral vision whether I'm looking at the visitors bench, the 50 yard line, a goal line stand or the hot chick in section 103. I don't miss a play on the field either, but it's certainly more aesthetically pleasing to glance up during timeouts or between plays, between quarters, etc., and see blue or black sky or airplanes flying by than roof trusses (or at least sense that it's there) provided it's not over 90 degrees of course. Hard to explain but from my experience there's some sort of 'enclosure sense' about it all that probably goes back to the Dome days which I hated during those gorgeous Oct/Nov/Dec days. Of course, any sense of outdoors to me is better than being indoors with no windows, even if it's only a sunroof.

J-Russ
08-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Do it! I bet it will fire up the team for the season

give me back my avatar, homes. >:[

RTP2110
08-05-2008, 07:41 PM
tried to rep barret, had to spread it 1st, repped everyone in this thread lol, went to next thread, repped all them too, now I've hit the 24 hour limit, Ill get you tomorrow barrett

TEXANRED
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm there to watch the action on the field, so I could care less if that sunroof is open or closed.

This is true but if we are never going to open the roof then why the hell did we pay for the damn thing?

We should of just gutted the Dome and rebuilt it from the inside out.

texan pride
08-06-2008, 08:56 AM
Its seems like ever since that one game vs the Steelers they have been very hesitant about opening the roof up.

nunusguy
08-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Its seems like ever since that one game vs the Steelers they have been very hesitant about opening the roof up.

Ah yes, another example of the Einsteinian caliber logic of the Texans brain-trust back in the Casserly-Capers era.
Wasn't the plan to melt the Snowbelt Steelers into submission in the blazing Houston heat and humidity but somehow that backfired because the Steel-town guys had cooled benchs and the Texans didn't ?

RTP2110
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Ironic that the Texans offical song says, "It can rain, it can pour, it can snow, I dont care. I'm here 'till the end."

Ummmm, really?........I guess he must be talking (singing) about tailgating.

ObsiWan
08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Ironic that the Texans offical song says, "It can rain, it can pour, it can snow, I dont care. I'm here 'till the end."

Ummmm, really?........I guess he must be talking (singing) about tailgating.

Well of course we don't care if it rains or pours or snows.
We're INSIDE silly. Like anybody with any sense.
:D

ensign_lee
08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
What's the email address to email the Texans customer service again? I'm sure if enough ppl complain about the roof not being open enough, then we can get a reversal of the effects of the complaints from that Pittsburgh game.

DoCRoN
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
To get a reversal, we'd have to get the Texans to modify the 50/80 rule. If it's 80 degrees or above, the roof remains closed. Period. That being said, there's literally no chance that it will be below 80 at kickoff. It's usually about 80-85 at that time of the evening...

I'm not defending it, I'm just stating the policy that's in writing! :pirate:

Ole Miss Texan
08-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Keep it closed, it's friggin hot. :heat: I agree I like the roof open from an experience/visual/state of the art type of stanpoint... but not when you'll be sticking to your seat sweating. It will actually prove to be more enjoyable if you're comfortable whether or not you notice it's open or closed.

Hagar
08-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Keep it closed, it's friggin hot. :heat:Amen to that!

Speedy
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Keep it closed, it's friggin hot.Amen to that!

I'll 2nd that! After 4 hours of tailgating, 5 if you count the hour wait on Main St, in the 98 degree heat, I look forward to entering Reliant icebox.

As DB said though, I go there to watch a football game, not to look up at the rafters, stars, blue sky, airplanes flying by or whatever, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it may be to the peepers. That's what cheerleaders are for. And they would be aesthetically pleasing standing in front of a dumpster.

:deadhorse

aj.
08-06-2008, 06:01 PM
As DB said though, I go there to watch a football game, not to look up at the rafters, stars, blue sky, airplanes flying by or whatever, regardless of how aesthetically pleasing it may be to the peepers. That's what cheerleaders are for. And they would be aesthetically pleasing standing in front of a dumpster.

Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [a word for male appendage that it won't let me type] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. It's just that from my angle (I sit in the lower bowl) I can always sense/see through the periphery if there's an open or closed roof over my head, and given the choice, any sense of outdoors to me is better than indoors - except when it's 90+ in there. Maybe the higher you sit and the farther away from the field you get, the less of this effect is apparent - at least simple geometry would suggest that... I don't know ... it's not a huge deal - I'm just saying what I like the best. I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....

barrett
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
tried to rep barret, had to spread it 1st, repped everyone in this thread lol, went to next thread, repped all them too, now I've hit the 24 hour limit, Ill get you tomorrow barrett

thanks for the kind attempt.

barrett
08-06-2008, 07:16 PM
... I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....

and you're maybe thinking to yourself... "RAIN??? RAIN!?!?... There's no raining in football!!!!!"

kind of like "skylights???? There's no skylights in football!!!"

i'm with you, it's subtle but nice to have in your periphery.

Double Barrel
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [a word for male appendage that it won't let me type] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. It's just that from my angle (I sit in the lower bowl) I can always sense/see through the periphery if there's an open or closed roof over my head, and given the choice, any sense of outdoors to me is better than indoors - except when it's 90+ in there. Maybe the higher you sit and the farther away from the field you get, the less of this effect is apparent - at least simple geometry would suggest that... I don't know ... it's not a huge deal - I'm just saying what I like the best. I'm one of the few thousand who would get wet if the roof was open and it started raining straight down - like at the start of that game the first year when it did - and we did for a brief moment ....

I tend to agree with you in principle...except for the small detail that Reliant was not built to be an open air stadium (as I'm sure you know). If there was some sort of natural air flow, then the heat wouldn't be so bad (it's never an issue with me as I've got an a/c vent pointed at us and we're always in the shade in the south EZ 500's). As it is now, the open roof seems to let in heat from the sun and trap it, which is not conducive towards a comfortable fan experience.

Maybe it's been discussed (probably so and I have forgotten), but why was the decision made to go with a sun roof? I know the rodeo wanted a dome, so it has to be something with the NFL (perhaps so they could shoot off fireworks and get a blimp shot during our one and only Super Bowl?)

DiapHer
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
Like I said, it's hard to explain. I don't [rooster] my head up and stare through the hole in the roof and go ooh...ahhh. ....

There's a shorter version for you aj no pun intended !! :devilpig:

TEXANRED
08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Wait a minute now. Whats all this complaining about the heat? I thought we were Texans (and not the team but the chosen few who God chose to be from the promise land.) This is like a Northerner complaining about the cold. What happened? When did we get soft?

If you drink enough you wont even notice its hot. Open the damn roof!

Texans_Chick
08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I tend to agree with you in principle...except for the small detail that Reliant was not built to be an open air stadium (as I'm sure you know). If there was some sort of natural air flow, then the heat wouldn't be so bad (it's never an issue with me as I've got an a/c vent pointed at us and we're always in the shade in the south EZ 500's). As it is now, the open roof seems to let in heat from the sun and trap it, which is not conducive towards a comfortable fan experience.

Maybe it's been discussed (probably so and I have forgotten), but why was the decision made to go with a sun roof? I know the rodeo wanted a dome, so it has to be something with the NFL (perhaps so they could shoot off fireworks and get a blimp shot during our one and only Super Bowl?)

Compromise.

NFL wanted open air and real grass.
Rodeo wanted a roof.

Unlike with the Budster, Bob McNair could work with others to get something that would work with everyone.

barrett
08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
the nfl had demands about the type of stadium? cool. i'm all for that push. i wish they had won.