PDA

View Full Version : What will make or break our season?

RTP2110
08-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Keys to the season, IMO

1. Injuries - I know this goes for all teams, but especially Houston. We led the NFL in players on I/R the last two seasons. We need our guys on the field. The games that we had Green, Schaub, And Johnson together, the offense played great. Unfortunately, we only had them together for 2 or 3 games.

2. Divisional play - We were 8-8 last year while being 1-5 within the AFC South. That's 7-3 against the rest of the NFL, which isn't bad. We have to steal one from Indy, and we have to at least split with Ten & Jax. An even 3-3 might have put in the playoffs last year, 3-3 is the minimum if we expect to contend this year.

3. Turnovers - This just has to improve. We all know how coaches feel about winning the turnover battle, and last season we were downright terrible. In training camp, the offense is wearing shorts that read, ''Protect the ball''. The defense wears, ''Take it away''.

If we improve those 3 areas, get a few breaks, and have a few teams fall off a bit in the super competitive AFC, we may have a real chance at a playoff game.

::Jim Mora:: Playoffs?!?!

TheRealJoker
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Scoring more points than our opponent will make or break our season imo.

WWJD
08-04-2008, 07:14 PM
a) Injuries to key players but that's with any team.

b) Running the ball successfully and keeping it away from the powerful divisional opponents this team faces every year.

c) Winning some road games.

The Texans could make some major noise this year. They have the parts in place.

TexansSeminole
08-04-2008, 07:22 PM
a) Injuries to key players but that's with any team.

^^^

ReliantTexan
08-04-2008, 07:56 PM
The way I look at it. There were a combination things that kept us out of the playoffs last year. lack of running game, injuries, and our defense didn't live up to it's potential, we just let too many QBs pick apart our secondary and we really didn't have any pass rush besides Mario. I think we've made strides to improve thoses areas, adding Alex Gibbs, Colvin, adding more depth etc. I think if we significantly improve on any of those we'll be in the playoffs.

whiskeyrbl
08-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Injuries and turnovers.

Speedy
08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Injuries and turnovers.

That's it right there. Injuries are something you have no control over, but turnovers are something you do. And I'm not just talking about the offense turning it over, but the defense forcing them as well. They win the turnover battle on a game by game basis and they have a lot better chance to win football games. Of course that pretty much goes without saying for anybody, but it doesn't really take that much to be 7-9 or 10-6. A play or 2 each game could be the difference.

Injuries are probably going to happen, but we can't have them at the key positions like QB, #1 WR, top 3 RB's, LT, CB. I know you can't control it, but sheesh, we've had our share already.

Oh, and of course a lot depends on how much PT #38 gets, who I can't believe is still on this roster.

ObsiWan
08-04-2008, 08:17 PM
!. Turnovers - don't give up the damned ball: 21 INTs and 17 lost fumbles. Two free possessions for the other guys every game. Unacceptable.
2. Turnovers - take the damned ball away: we were decent in the fumble catagory (tied for 10th with 14 - 3 for TDs) but sucked in the INT dept. (tied for last, with 11, and none returned for scores).
3. Turnovers - take a few more of those takeaways "to the house". I only remember two T/Os for scores, DeMeco's and Mario's. Apparently there was one more. 25 takeaways and only 3 returned for scores.
I know, I know, I should be happy that we even took the ball away.
Well, I'm not.
Time to be greedy. Playoff teams are opportunistic. Let's see some pick-sixes from the D.

hollywood_texan
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
What will make or break the Texans in 2008?

LUCK!

Or lack thereof...

DiehardChris
08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
!. Turnovers - don't give up the damned ball: 21 INTs and 17 lost fumbles. Two free possessions for the other guys every game. Unacceptable.
2. Turnovers - take the damned ball away: we were decent in the fumble catagory (tied for 10th with 14 - 3 for TDs) but sucked in the INT dept. (tied for last, with 11, and none returned for scores).
3. Turnovers - take a few more of those takeaways "to the house". I only remember two T/Os for scores, DeMeco's and Mario's. Apparently there was one more. 25 takeaways and only 3 returned for scores.
I know, I know, I should be happy that we even took the ball away.
Well, I'm not.
Time to be greedy. Playoff teams are opportunistic. Let's see some pick-sixes from the D.

Bingo. Even with all the injuries last year, if we would have cut the turnovers significantly it would have made a big difference.

EDIT - the other one was in the Carolina game. The CAR kickoff returner fumbled and I think it was Kevin Walter who recovered it in the endzone for a TD.

I was at Third Base in Austin when that happened, and the place absolutely EXPLODED.

beerlover
08-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm going to say the coaching. this is the most vastly changed aspect of this organization from expereinced Gibbs & Rhodes developed young coaches making names for themselves Frank Bush, Jon Hoke & Jethro Franklin to the young buck trying to follow his dads footsteps, Kyle Shanahan!

If they can assemble the resources Rick Smith has provided & get the players to buy into Kubiack & staff team concept there isn't anything this team cannot overcome. just execute baby :wesmantexanfan:

thunderkyss
08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Coaching. Everything else can be attributed to coaching.

Turnovers.... should be addressed by coaching. Bad habits should be corrected before game time. Sure, there are going to be turnovers, but when you're on the wrong end of the T.O. ratio as we were in our losses..... it's a coaching issue.

Injuries... we're doing something wrong. Whether we're talking about trainers, contact vs no contact practice.... allowing our players to not take conditioning as seriously as they should...... with the number of injuries we've had over the last two years.... it's a coaching issue.

Scoring more points than the other team..... if you don't trust the 11 guys you put on the field to run a two minute drill.... especially after two years...... it's a coaching issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Kubiak's head. I like him, I want him to be here for a long, long time. But everything starts & ends with the coach.

YoungTexanFan
08-04-2008, 10:36 PM
I have a differing opinion than the general injury sentiment.

I feel the development of our second year players will be the key for our defense. Guys like Bennett and Okoye showed good progress, but must take the next step to being a top notch player. Bennett will be a starting CB and needs to establish himself, while Okoye needs to outlast his wall to provide a true push from the interior of our line.

On offense, I'm going to say our season hinges on Myers. He expected to be our best starting C we've ever had. He knows the system and will be the man responsible most for holding the pocket. If he isn't what we expect, then our offense will struggle, injuries or not.

Malloy
08-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Schaub and playcalling. Those are the two things that I have found dodgy at times. I'm hoping that both will be fine, but I believe both are our greatest 'unknowns'

m5kwatts
08-05-2008, 03:16 AM
two words: injuries turnovers

Showtime100
08-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Defensive takeaways. The defense seems to recognize they can and need to improve on this and be a constant threat to get the ball back before 4th down. I believe our O can do plenty on it's own but as of yet nothing says for sure our running game will click to the point of opening up some passing routes.

This post is a little lacking in specifics and for that I apologize. Baseball has taken up most of my playtime and I've yet to dive in as you all have. A one-time-only pass would be appreciated...lol. :tomato:

Schedule-wise make or break could come early. We have got to handle Pittsburgh and Baltimore since we go to Tennessee and Jacksonville after that, then home vs (ugh) Indianapolis. IMO, getting Pittsburgh in week 1 is a bonus, their D always gels after week 8 or so and I firmly believe we'll take Baltimore.

If we can get to Jacksonville at 3-0 and I believe we can, the sky's the limit. :texflag:

ObsiWan
08-05-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm going to add one more ingredient....
I'm embarrassed we haven't mentioned this
ATTITUDE.

No more "moral victories"
Its time that, like most playoff teams, we EXPECT to WIN every time we step onto the field.
Inside the division, on the road, weather be damned. We expect to win and are pissed when we don't.
Its time we EXPECT to make the playoffs every year.

Malloy
08-05-2008, 06:17 AM
I'm going to add one more ingredient....
I'm embarrassed we haven't mentioned this
ATTITUDE.

No more "moral victories"
Its time that, like most playoff teams, we EXPECT to WIN every time we step onto the field.
Inside the division, on the road, weather be damned. We expect to win and are pissed when we don't.
Its time we EXPECT to make the playoffs every year.

You dont think the team attitude has changed since we got Kubiak here? At least from my own perspective, the term 'moral victory' died the day Kubiak came in. I think he might even have stated this himself.

Thorn
08-05-2008, 07:17 AM
We must sacrifice lots of alcoholic beverages to The Football Gods to earn their kindness. I plan on starting with the Denver pre-season game. :beerfunnel: :drunk:

Dancerdog
08-05-2008, 07:29 AM
Keys to success:

1. Defensive line play. It all starts up front and we've got to get some pressure on the QB and stuff the run.

2. Turnovers. 'Nuff said.

3. Establishing a viable running game. This will open up the entire offense. If we can run the ball effectively, the sky's the limit.

What Obsiwan said about ATTITUDE is also important. I'm not talking about moral victory, I'm talking about hitting like we MEAN IT! Make those receivers pay for that catch over the middle. Will Demps and Dunta Robinson play with this attitude. I sure hope it's contagious.

ObsiWan
08-05-2008, 07:37 AM
You dont think the team attitude has changed since we got Kubiak here? At least from my own perspective, the term 'moral victory' died the day Kubiak came in. I think he might even have stated this himself.

I agree that Kubiak and Smith have turned things around personnel-wise. The days of being able to make this team just because you have a pulse are gone. You have to perform to make our squad now.

But that's not what I mean. I want to see the kind of expectation to win - every week - that New England or Indy have. Don't be glad you won, be disappointed you didn't win by more.

told you, its time to be greedy

ObsiWan
08-05-2008, 07:38 AM
We must sacrifice lots of alcoholic beverages to The Football Gods to earn their kindness. I plan on starting with the Denver pre-season game. :beerfunnel: :drunk:
what can we do to help!

Seņor Stan
08-05-2008, 08:02 AM

If for some reason you get injured, we will know it is not from a lack of off season conditioning...

Drunk Thread (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=845889&postcount=1)

:splits:

Malloy
08-05-2008, 08:27 AM
told you, its time to be greedy

Now THAT I can agree with :)

barrett
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Division, division, division.

How do we get to the playoffs? Going 1-5 in our division isn't the answer.

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Division, division, division.

How do we get to the playoffs? Going 1-5 in our division isn't the answer.

BUT...

Going 7-3 outside of our division is a step in the right direction.

Trail.Blazr
08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
- Injuries gets my top vote. Yes, every team has to endure this, but to the extent and to the key personnel that we suffered last season, yet still remain 8-8... it goes a long way to say that if the balance swings in our favor this year, we should see improvement along the way of Win/Loss.

- Playcalling/coaching... I recall Houston getting caught by a onside last season, that shouldn't have been allowed to give the opponent(cant remember the game)any more advantage than they already had. Also, tough to say, but the lucky bomb to Davis in week 7 left Collins too much time at the end of the game to get in field goal range for the record and the win. These are the things that make the difference in a hand full of games to define the season.

BigTimeTexanFan
08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
How the first 5 games play out. We have a brutal opening stretch, but if we can manage 2-3 or better, that will be a huge start.

nut
08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
If we make the playoffs this year, we will have had a good year. If we don't make the playoffs this year, we didn't have a good year. That's just my opinion, but it's how I really feel.

Thorn
08-06-2008, 07:33 AM
If for some reason you get injured, we will know it is not from a lack of off season conditioning...

Drunk Thread (http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=845889&postcount=1)

:splits:

One must practice those multiple 12oz arm lifts if one is to be proficient during the season. :fridge:

threetoedpete
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Scoring more points than our opponent will make or break our season imo.

Keys ? here are just a few....

1.) 3.8 - there must be a 0.4 to 0.5 gain on yards per rush average. 3.8 is mediocre. If Gibbs is truly a guru that number should go up. If they can't protect the athletically challenge safeties & young corners the first five games...the season is basically over before the bye week. The only way to do that is rush the ball with impunity.
2.) 11. - We neither get big hits nor big plays out of the safeties. Interchangeable ? The Denver model is not working and hasn't worked in two seasons. This will be the third strike if they don't get it done as a group. One will look at the corners and it will be bombs away the first five games by the Offensive co-coordinators of the league this season. They'll have plenty of opportunity. The Texans ranked near the bottom of Defensive efficiency in 2007 . (13 of sixteen teams). That is a lazar beam at the safety play. Fire the players or fire the coach if they don't get it done this season. I've heard of a blind hog finding the acron. Our hogs are ready for the bacon package. 2.01 % interception rate on eleven interceptions, is beyond pathetic. It's embarrassing. If this group can't man up over the performance last year...get new players.
3.) 1-5. We can't get a split within the division and at least sweep one division foe, the season is all a tall can of corn. It doesn't mean squat. We win the 'thank you for participating" ribbon.The lesson from last year was the third game. Why they lost focus after the 2-0 start...ask the coaching staff.
4.) 31....53 sacks as a team was the standard last season. Would it be too much to ask to break forty this season ? If they can find one guy...just one, to "get there" when they send five, I'll be a very happy camper. This has been a chronic consistent problem since the switch to the 4-3. Greenwood has been stealing from Mr. McNair for three seasons. He can't cover. Can't get there when we send five. Can't make plays in space. Dump him. He is beyond doubt the worst "will" linebacker in the league. Someone in the LB corps has got to stand up and prove they belong in the league when they blitz. And yes that includes the water walker Ryans. All pros find a way to get it done.
5.) 17 -Injuries....strength coaches are a dime a dozen. Put it out there we're looking, it'll take them two months just to sort out the applications. What ever our guy is doing...judging by two seasons worth of injuries (34) , it's wrong. Get out of the quick sand . This is too easy to remedy to live with.

infantrycak
08-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Top 10 standard for TTP's items from 2007:

1) 4.2 ypc
2) 18 INT's on D
3) Clearly division results need to improve.
4) 37 sacks on D
5) who knows

b0ng
08-06-2008, 10:46 AM
His 5th point is basically fire (Dan?) Riley, the strength and conditioning coach. I'm not sure about finding a replacement, I think he said "put the word outthat we're lookin" whatever that means.

76Texan
08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Top 10 standard for TTP's items from 2007:

1) 4.2 ypc
2) 18 INT's on D
3) Clearly division results need to improve.
4) 37 sacks on D
5) who knows
Good points and good summary as well!

1). Even without Gibbs, I can see 15 more yds per game, let say on 30 carries. That's your .05 right there. Part of this will tie up with (5) injury. I'm assuming Green and/or Brown will go down at some point during the season. But the top 3 shouldn't be down more than a combined 20 games.

2). I'll take the ability to stop the run game first. With the additional help in the the front seven, we should get (a) more stuffs behind or along the LOS and (b) better pursue in the LB level and not letting the runner get all the way to the secondary. This will create more third and long situation, and therefore, more INTs (supposedly).

3). If we failed to get at least even in division, it will be a long shot to the playoff. We have 3 good chances and 2 decent chances, we need to get 3.

4). Tied in with (2) even though I would value QB pressures and hurries almost as highly as sacks.

5). The bug can't defy logic forever, darn it!