PDA

View Full Version : AJ injured

Maddict5
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
might as well be the one to start this since it could be important..

per obsi (who's at TC), he limped off with what looked like a pulled groin

SheTexan
08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Damn, I saw the title of this thread and immediately felt sick! Hopefully, it won't be to bad!! REST him through August!!!!!!!! He knows what he's doing, he don't need reps!!!!!!!! NOW, I'm pissed that they took a chance on him getting injured!!!

Hardcore Texan
08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
This is so not what we need. Maybe it is not very bad and he has plenty of time to recover, he can sit out the entier preseason if need be.

brakos82
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
This is so not what we need. Maybe it is not very bad and he has plenty of time to recover, he can sit out the entier preseason if need be.
It's not like we don't have depth at WR anyways...

Maddict5
08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Offense has ball on 15; AJ already has two TDs and green has run for one but the D is making their share of stops- they just sacked Sage and stuffed Slaton on successive plays. Next play was nearly picked off. Same ole Sage brilliant throws followed by a couple of head-scratchers.

Ones up again
Matt to AJ for six, man AJ is in midseason formMatt looks sharp too-three straight completions on OUTs and hooks...

Moffitt just punched the ball out of Slaton's hands--of course that was after Slaton had burned the defense for 20+

AJ just pulled up lame...
Looks like a groin pull
Heks not on the training table... Looks like he's trying to stretch it out.

Did I mention earlier that Weaver pulled gimpy too?

Well, thats it for today. Gotta go to HT.com and see what the deal is with AJ

:wild: :gun:

should've seen it coming lol(not really)

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2008, 10:52 AM
might as well be the one to start this since it could be important..

per obsi (who's at TC), he limped off with what looked like a pulled groin

I hope this is not an injury sustained compensating for a guarded knee recovery.

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I don't get it, I thought yesterday they said they were going to hold AJ out today yesterday for precaution?

Maddict5
08-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't get it, I thought yesterday they said they were going to hold AJ out today yesterday for precaution?

thats chris brown i think..

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 10:59 AM
thats chris brown i think..

Maybe Chris Brown, too, but I thought I remember Kubiak saying they wouldn't let AJ run on the turf as a precaution

Was this practice indoors or out?

Poor AJ. I don't even understand why they waited so long on the arthroscopic thing during the offseason. Wasn't he all healed up at the end of the year last year?

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 11:04 AM
From Nick on HT.com:
Wide receiver Andre Johnson pulled up after a long route at training camp practice Saturday morning. He limped off the field and received attention from the Texans' training staff. Afterward, he said that he didn't hear any pop, but his groin tightened up on him.

We'll have a full report, including quotes from 'Dre and coach Gary Kubiak, on HoustonTexans.com shortly.

Thanks,

Nick Schenck
Editor, HoustonTexans.com

The worst part of this now is the quotes.

If Kubiak and AJ come out and say everythings fine, he is DTD - because of their history - we all freak out and believe he might miss significant time

If Kubiak and AJ come out and say smoethings seriously wrong - we all freak out and start saying he might be out the whole year

The FO has primed us to expect the worst, even when they tell us the best

nunusguy
08-02-2008, 11:20 AM
AJ is arguably our MVP so certainly none of us want to hear this crap. If it's a groin injury, that's not good. That can be a nagging injury which takes time to heal from and often subject to reinjury.
We'll just have to wait and see, hope it's not too serious.

Specnatz
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I never have figured out why everyone expects during the regular season for the coaching staff not to be a little lacking in discosing injuries. They donot want other teams to be able to game plan for players who might be out, this what has become of the NFL thanks to belichik and even Shanahan to a large degree.

Now I am hoping that it being training camp that they are a little more forthright.

jaayteetx
08-02-2008, 11:24 AM
please don't be serious, please don't be serious, please don't be serious, please don't be serious!!!

Brando
08-02-2008, 11:26 AM
please don't be serious, please don't be serious, please don't be serious, please don't be serious!!!

What he said. Bad news.:gun:

aj.
08-02-2008, 11:32 AM
He was having a great practice, catching everything.

The injury occured late in practice on a deep ball that was slightly underthrown. Demps was covering AJ and both of them jumped up for the ball. When AJ came down he kind of hopped funny on his left leg and immediately grabbed his groin area. I followed him in the binocs over to the trainers table and they didn't ice it - he was just talking to Bastin and in obvious pain. He had a very noticeable limp and tight walk as he left the field.

A couple of times in practice we were talking about bottling up AJ and not re-opening him until Pittsburgh since he was making things look so effortless out there. Now this sux.

Mike Bell went down early with a hammy just in case no one mentioned it.

TEXANRED
08-02-2008, 11:34 AM

The injury occured late in practice on a deep ball that was slightly underthrown. Demps was covering AJ and both of them jumped up for the ball. When AJ came down he kind of hopped funny on his left leg and immediately grabbed his groin area. I followed him in the binocs over to the trainers table and they didn't ice it - he was just talking to Bastin and in obvious pain. He had a very noticeable limp and tight walk as he left the field.

A couple of times in practice we were talking about bottling up AJ and not re-opening him until Pittsburgh since he was making things look so effortless out there. Now this sux.

..........:gun:

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 11:37 AM

Is this good news or bad news?
On the one hand, they let him walk off the field, which seems to be good news
On the other hand, not icing it implies they think its torn, rather than pulled, right?

TheRealJoker
08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
Looks like i'm gonna have to put my balls on ice for another year :gun:

Maddict5
08-02-2008, 11:43 AM
from HT.com

Wide receiver Andre Johnson gave the Texans and a crowd of 3,721 fans at the Methodist Training Center quite a scare Saturday when he pulled up lame after running a deep route at the end of practice.

The two-time Pro Bowler appeared to favor his left groin as he limped off the field in noticeable pain. Immediately, the Texans’ training staff and team orthopedist, Dr. Walter Lowe, attended to Johnson.

On the play, Johnson attempted to come back for the ball, but was closely defended by cornerback Fred Bennett.

After the team medical staff checked out his groin, Johnson rejoined his teammates on the field before coach Gary Kubiak gave his final remarks and dismissed the team until Monday.

“I just tweaked my groin a little bit,” Johnson said. “That’s about it. Nothing really major. I’ll go in and get some treatment over the next two days and I’ll be fine.

“I didn’t tear anything or anything like that. It’s hot out here. Sometimes those things happen. You have little tweaks and stuff like that. Other than that, I’m fine. It’s no big deal. I didn’t tear anything. I slowed down actually when I felt it tighten up on me. That was a good thing. Other than that, I don’t think it will be a problem.”

Johnson missed seven games last year with a knee injury that he originally suffered in Week 2 at Carolina. That injury persisted into the offseason, requiring arthroscopic surgery.

For a team that has led the NFL in players on injured reserve the past two seasons, Johnson’s injury caught everyone’s attention. Even the fans were shaken.

“Yeah, a groan came over everybody,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “Nobody wants to see him gimping around. Like I said, we’ll get him in there, get him looked at and keep our fingers crossed and hopefully it’s nothing serious.”

Quarterback Matt Schaub checked up on his star receiver after practice to make sure he was alright.

Johnson appreciates the concern.

“You never want to see anything happen to a player,” Johnson said. “You don’t want to see any guys get injured or anything like that. But things happen. I’m just glad it’s training camp right now. It’s not the regular season.”

The important thing, Johnson said, is that he didn’t feel any tear or pop, which signifies a more serious injury.

“Normally, when you have a pull or something, you can tell when you’re running by the way it feels,” he said. “I didn’t feel anything pop or anything like that. I just felt it tighten up real tight on me. When I felt that, I just slowed down. I didn’t feel a pop or anything like that afterward, so like I said, I’m fine. I’ll get treatment for a few days and I’ll be fine.”

looks like it minor...hopefuly...fingers crossed.....knock on wood etc

aj.
08-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Yep, hopefully nothing too serious. It bummed out my ride home that's for sure.

From what he's saying, he felt it tighten up as he was running. At full speed it looked more like it happened when he extended for the ball.

Nawzer
08-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Groin injuries are tricky just ask Roy Oswalt. Hopefully the Texans and AJ will take it easy and not take any unnecessary risks. Get well AJ!!!

Double Barrel
08-02-2008, 11:50 AM
“I just tweaked my groin a little bit,” Johnson said. “That’s about it. Nothing really major. I’ll go in and get some treatment over the next two days and I’ll be fine.

That's a relief to hear. Let's hope it's not one of those nagging injuries.

Mailman
08-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Sit him until the opener. Please.

aj.
08-02-2008, 11:54 AM

And at New Orleans.

Then play him a half against Dallas.

Then sit him again for Tampa.

Mailman
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
That's a relief to hear. Let's hope it's not one of those nagging injuries.

They almost always are, which is why AJ and the staff should exercise extreme caution. Just keep him on the sideline, Kubes.

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
And at New Orleans.

I agree. We don't need AJ out there really. Maybe the Dallas game, but that's it. We know what he can do.

brakos82
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
And at New Orleans.

I'm thinking just wait until Pitsburgh.

(And I don't care that I mispelled their dumbass city. :pirate: )

aj.
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm thinking just wait until Pitsburgh.

That's what we were saying in the stands before he was injured.

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I just hope he's not turning into a Mr. Glass. What is it about being a star in Houston?

Hardcore Texan
08-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Groin injuries are tricky just ask Roy Oswalt. Hopefully the Texans and AJ will take it easy and not take any unnecessary risks. Get well AJ!!!

It's no anal fissure that's for sure. .

DiehardChris
08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
UUUUGGGGHHHHH

*blows brains out*

BornOrange
08-02-2008, 12:05 PM
And at New Orleans.

I think Mailman was saying just to sit Andre until the Pittsburgh game.

Kubiak will probably use Andre the bare minimum he feels is necessary to keep the offense in synch.

DiehardChris
08-02-2008, 12:06 PM
It's good that he didn't feel a pop - but like others said - a WR with a groin injury really makes me afraid it will be one of those nagging things.

I'm trying reeeeeally hard not to overreact. :(

Hardcore Texan
08-02-2008, 12:06 PM
So did the title of the article stick out to anyone else?

Johnsonís groin provides big scare

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4453

nunusguy
08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
“Normally, when you have a pull or something, you can tell when you’re running by the way it feels,” he said. “I didn’t feel anything pop or anything like that. I just felt it tighten up real tight on me. When I felt that, I just slowed down. I didn’t feel a pop or anything like that afterward, so like I said, I’m fine. I’ll get treatment for a few days and I’ll be fine.”
This is reassuring to me, because AJ knows a lot about such things as he has not only been a football player for many years now but also was a sprinter in track. Actually he won his conference 100 and indoor 60 meter championships while at the U.
My point is, this is an athlete who knows a lot about sprinting and injuries associated with that activity. I'm sure he's had his share of both groin pulls & just "tweaks" in his athletic career, and has a highly tuned ability to recognize which is which. So I'm feeling a little better right now.

Hardcore Texan
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I just hope he's not turning into a Mr. Glass. What is it about being a star in Houston?

That name is already taken.

signed,

Chris Brown

RTP2110
08-02-2008, 12:31 PM

That was the same exact thought I had watching Wednesday's practice. I posted this in the TC thread.

I meant to add this,

Andre Johnson is game ready right now. I don't see any reason for him to play in the preseason. I'd say give him 1 quarter in the 3rd game and that's it. That guy just goes out there and does whatever he wants.

Imatexanfan
08-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Man AJ needs to suck it up and walk it off stop being a puss just because he thinks he's the only person we need to make us win. We could do good without him of better with him but all this crap hell he sat out most last season didn't he get enough rest to begin with?!

Makes me sick get paid all the big bucks and acts like a wuss give me break.....hilarious.:spit:

HJam72
08-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Man AJ needs to suck it up and walk it off stop being a puss just because he thinks he's the only person we need to make us win. We could do good without him of better with him but all this crap hell he sat out most last season didn't he get enough rest to begin with?!

Makes me sick get paid all the big bucks and acts like a wuss give me break.....hilarious.:spit:

OK, cut back just a little on the crack there, bro. :cool:

I think we need to give AJ all the rest he can stand right about now.

DiehardChris
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
LOL, you're kidding right?

A wide receiver can't "walk off" a groin injury.

Rub some dirt on it!

HJam72
08-02-2008, 12:38 PM
LOL, you're kidding right?

A wide receiver can't "walk off" a groin injury.

Rub some dirt on it!

:spit:

RTP2110
08-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Sarcasm??? God I hope so.

GuerillaBlack
08-02-2008, 12:44 PM

And the sad part is, this "Imatexanfan" is serious.

ATXtexanfan
08-02-2008, 12:45 PM
lets all hope for the best

Vinny
08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I was in the corner and the ball was a bit underthrown and I thought it was curious why aj didn't go up and meet the ball at it's highest point but he probably felt a tweak right before the ball was getting there. It looked like a minor issue to me, but everyone around me was holding their breath as soon as it happened. Demps misplayed an easy pick and did a couple of pushups.

KEYE SUX
08-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Hopefully this is just a very minor thing and we are overreacting to it. Maybe because real football hasn't started so we have nothing else to talk about. maybe because we have led in MOST names on IR for 2 years in a row. If it is the latter and we continue this trend, when are we going to start getting some new strength and conditioning coaches?

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2008, 01:48 PM
ďNormally, when you have a pull or something, you can tell when youíre running by the way it feels,Ē he said. ďI didnít feel anything pop or anything like that. I just felt it tighten up real tight on me. When I felt that, I just slowed down. I didnít feel a pop or anything like that afterward, so like I said, Iím fine. Iíll get treatment for a few days and Iíll be fine.Ē
This is reassuring to me, because AJ knows a lot about such things as he has not only been a football player for many years now but also was a sprinter in track. Actually he won his conference 100 and indoor 60 meter championships while at the U.
My point is, this is an athlete who knows a lot about sprinting and injuries associated with that activity. I'm sure he's had his share of both groin pulls & just "tweaks" in his athletic career, and has a highly tuned ability to recognize which is which. So I'm feeling a little better right now.

I agree with you..........just still concerned that this may have come about by "guarding" of his knee.

Imatexanfan
08-02-2008, 02:02 PM
AJ what the hell

Brando
08-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I'm feeling a little better after reading the quote that DB posted. I might have overreacted initially but hey, it's AJ and I'm shellshocked from the injury situation from last year. Get well Mr. Johnson we need you out there.:texflag:

dc_txtech
08-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I agree with you..........just still concerned that this may have come about by "guarding" of his knee.

What exactly do you mean by "guarding his knee"?

J-Russ
08-02-2008, 02:23 PM
scared me with the title... I think a mod should change it to minor injury or tweak groin. I thought it was serious at first, glad he's ok....

brakos82
08-02-2008, 02:42 PM
"Johnson's groin provides big scare"... that'd be good. :user:

KEYE SUX
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
"All eyes on AJ's groin"

austintexanite
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
That's the first thing I see when I get online...I hope he doesn't do anything till maybe Thursday and check how he is feeling then.

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 02:53 PM

When players have an injured knee, they will often compensate by shifting away from using it, thereby causing injuries to other muscles not used to the extra load.

Its the same way that you can injure your foot, and by favoring that foot, you end up with a sore leg on the opposite side.

If AJ is insisting on playing and says his knee feels fine, but it really isn't healed fully, you could assume he might injure other areas because he can't move as his body is intented to

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2008, 02:57 PM

When you have an injury in one part of your body, you instinctively guard that injury by overcompensating with other parts of your body. That causes secondary injuries in other places. It's very common for injuries to "move up the chain". A foot injury causes you to hurt your knee. A knee injury causes you to hurt your hip or groin.

Basically, Cloak is very worried that Andre's knee isn't as healthy as everyone has been saying.

Also, when you train, part of your training is teaching your body to shut down certain protective mechanisms in the body (like the Golgi Tendon). When you get hurt, they "re-engage" and you've got to train them to shut down again but before you've done that, if you try to do things that you used to be able to do, you can hurt yourself. And again, it can move up the chain from the initial injury.

b0ng
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM

Well all I can say is that if he's favoring one leg or another it's really freaking hard to tell live because the guy is absolutely flying around the field. Not being carried off on a cart, and being allowed to walk back to the field to listen to the coaches remarks makes me think that this is just a simple groin tweak done in the heat.

False Start
08-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Woah ! When I first read the title of this thread, I felt like my dog had died, but from reading up a bit my dog has been resurrected . :cool:

I just hope its not something that AJ is going to become prone to, getting injured all the time . It seems like once a player has their first major injury, things start to go south . I think AJ is a better player than that though, he'll pull through .

hollywood_texan
08-02-2008, 03:15 PM
It appears we are a little too sensitive to injuries, but for good reason considering it seems our team has had more than it's fair share of the injury bug.

Having said that, and even though I wasn't there and haven't seen any video, this sounds like something that probably won't be a big deal. As AJ said, tweaks happen like this from time to time. Any football player that has played at any level knows this stuff happens and you work through it.

This doesn't sound serious to me.

painekiller
08-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Damn, I saw the title of this thread and immediately felt sick! Hopefully, it won't be to bad!! REST him through August!!!!!!!! He knows what he's doing, he don't need reps!!!!!!!! NOW, I'm pissed that they took a chance on him getting injured!!!

Your will really love this then, was the 3rd from last play of practice.

Texan_Bill
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Your will really love this then, was the 3rd from last play of practice.

:gun:

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2008, 04:07 PM

Gtexan02 and The Pencil Neck have characterized well my exact concern. And to answer b0ng's observation, it's amazing how "compensation" can be outwardly disguised.............until the compensating area is stressed to injury.

Thorn
08-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Let us protect those that serve.

Let us pray for AJ (even if we don't pray normally, like me)

Let us wish for playoffs in our future.

Let's hope that stupid ass Thorn finishes his rebuolding of an old PC before his Jack Daniels runs out.

steelbtexan
08-02-2008, 10:48 PM
When you have an injury in one part of your body, you instinctively guard that injury by overcompensating with other parts of your body. That causes secondary injuries in other places. It's very common for injuries to "move up the chain". A foot injury causes you to hurt your knee. A knee injury causes you to hurt your hip or groin.

Basically, Cloak is very worried that Andre's knee isn't as healthy as everyone has been saying.

Also, when you train, part of your training is teaching your body to shut down certain protective mechanisms in the body (like the Golgi Tendon). When you get hurt, they "re-engage" and you've got to train them to shut down again but before you've done that, if you try to do things that you used to be able to do, you can hurt yourself. And again, it can move up the chain from the initial injury.

I am not familiar with golgi tendon but I do know that I hurt my ankle in HS then I injured my knee compensating for it.

(We've led the league in injuries 2 yrs in a row. How many years will it take to get DAN RILEY fired?

He is the last holdover from the last regime.

Tell me more about this golgi tendon.

I agree all eyes should be on AJ's groin

edo783
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
I agree all eyes should be on AJ's groin

Sounds like some sort of therapy for VY.

steelbtexan
08-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds like some sort of therapy for VY.

Yeah it sure does.

Very funny

The truth works like that.

steelbtexan
08-02-2008, 11:11 PM
VY throws like a girl.

Not that theres anything wrong with that.

BUD THE END IS NEAR.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Tell me more about this golgi tendon.

Here's my understanding...

The Golgi Tendon is an organ that is in the connection between your muscles and the tendons where they attach to the bone. If the tension on a particular golgi tendon goes over a certain level, it shuts down the muscle to keep you from rupturing the tendon or the muscle; this is called the T-Reflex. When you train heavy, you decrease the sensitivity of the organ and that allows you to increase the weight you lift because the golgi tendon isn't shutting down and causing failure.

Some advanced lifters have a problem because they've desensitized the golgi to the point where it stops shutting down and voila! Ruptured tendons.

Cloak can probably give a more thorough description of how it works. I only know about it from a practical standpoint.

steelbtexan
08-03-2008, 12:18 AM

The Golgi Tendon is an organ that is in the connection between your muscles and the tendons where they attach to the bone. If the tension on a particular golgi tendon goes over a certain level, it shuts down the muscle to keep you from rupturing the tendon or the muscle; this is called the T-Reflex. When you train heavy, you decrease the sensitivity of the organ and that allows you to increase the weight you lift because the golgi tendon isn't shutting down and causing failure.

Some advanced lifters have a problem because they've desensitized the golgi to the point where it stops shutting down and voila! Ruptured tendons.

Cloak can probably give a more thorough description of how it works. I only know about it from a practical standpoint.

Thanks for the info.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2008, 09:14 AM

Again, you've given an excellent simple example. In very simplistic terms, the Golgi tendon is a neurosensory structure located in the muscle/tendon connection. It acts as a sensor feedback mechanism that maintains a fine balance between stretching of the muscle and contraction of the muscle (with its accompanying stresses on the tendon). It allows our bodies to automatically tell us that when our muscles are being stretched to back off of the simultaneous contraction of those same muscle groups. Without this feed back mechanism, a stretching muscle would be met with a contraction of that same muscle. These "contradictory" opposing actions if severe enough would lead to tear of the muscle or the tendon.

TheRealJoker
08-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Any updates on our favorite WR?

aj.
08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
From camp quotes at ht.com: - Kubiak speaking - we may have dodged a bullet on AJ but they are nuts if they play him Saturday. I can't imagine what a 120 percent AJ looks like but if I was a DB, I'd be very afraid.

I threw in a couple other quotes on Bell and J. Williams. I have a feeling Bell isn't long for this place if he can't get back on the field this week. In other news, Chris Brown took 6 reps today without complaining once.

(on WR Andre Johnson) “Andre (Johnson) is doing well. I think we’re very fortunate with Andre (Johnson), but I think we’re going to take the cautious approach. We’re going to make sure we get him 120 percent back before he comes back out here. We’ll try to keep his condition level up but I think we’re very fortunate that it wasn’t worse.”

(on WR Andre Johnson playing Saturday) “I don’t know. It’s easy for me to tell you no right now. We’ve got to long way to go. We’ll see how he’s doing. He was very upbeat and felt very good so we’ll see.”

(on RB Mike Bell’s hamstring effecting him) “He’s very effected, very effected. I think he’s behind our team physically, conditioning wise. You can’t go out here and all of a sudden go miss 8-10 days as (running) back. We’re going to give him a couple days here and see if we can get him back on the field. He’s tells us this has happened before and he was back within a couple days. We’re going to trust him on that and see if we can get him back out here, hopefully tomorrow.”

(on any serious injuries with DB Jimmy Williams) “They’re going to scope him, I just know that. It’s his knee. I don’t know exactly what it is right now; you’ve got me off guard. So many tough questions. But I know he was going to need a scope and when they do that I’m not quite sure. I’ll go check at lunch.”

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
From camp quotes at ht.com: - Kubiak speaking - we may have dodged a bullet on AJ but they are nuts if they play him Saturday. I can't imagine what a 120 percent AJ looks like but if I was a DB, I'd be very afraid.

I threw in a couple other quotes on Bell and J. Williams. I have a feeling Bell isn't long for this place if he can't get back on the field this week. In other news, Chris Brown took 6 reps today without complaining once.

They better not get AJ in this Saturday.................and BTW, explain to me how Riley and the rest of the staff, after tryout work out, is not able to ascertain a player's state of condition. If they are this out of touch, how do they decide how far they can push a roster player before putting them in danger?.............furthermore, how do they then reasonably assess an injury-recovering player as to when they can advance to the "next level" without undue risk? Looking back at things, could this explain some of our problems?

TheRealJoker
08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
They better not get AJ in this Saturday.................and BTW, explain to me how Riley and the rest of the staff, after tryout work out, is not able to ascertain a player's state of condition. If they are this out of touch, how do they decide how far they can push a roster player before putting them in danger?.............furthermore, how do they then reasonably assess an injury-recovering player as to when they can advance to the "next level" without undue risk? Looking back at things, could this explain some of our problems?

Indeed it could. I know Riley is very well respected for the work he did on the Redskins Super Bowl teams but imo the track record here hasn't been too impressive. I know the S&C field is always evolving so i'm wondering if he's just too stuck to his ways. I'm tired of hearing that being at or near the top of the league with players on IR every season is "just bad luck".

ObsiWan
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
You guys are more or less the "medical staff" of the msg board, but it seems to me that its one thing for a player to pass the tests that determine if there are any lingering injuries he's trying to hide and to pass flexibility and range of motion medical tests and quite another to get out in the July Texas heat and run with guys that have been training since May OTAs.

Even Fred Weary, who's been here, is, wind-wise, behind the guys who were able to participate in OTAs and the team physical training program.

Remember that not being in good shape cost Charles Spencer a chance to compete for a job here.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
You guys are more or less the "medical staff" of the msg board, but it seems to me that its one thing for a player to pass the tests that determine if there are any lingering injuries he's trying to hide and to pass flexibility and range of motion medical tests and quite another to get out in the July Texas heat and run with guys that have been training since May OTAs.
Even Fred Weary, who's been here, is, wind-wise, behind the guys who were able to participate in OTAs and the team physical training program.

Remember that not being in good shape cost Charles Spencer a chance to compete for a job here.

I don't totally disagree. But part of a total NFL assessment includes evaluation of endurance, and extrapolation to the expected conditions to be placed under.

As far as Spencer, the jury's still out on why he was really released; and if it were based on the "shape he was in", if it was, indeed, a correct call or due to another inaccurate assessment.

ObsiWan
08-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Regardng Spencer's release, and this is totally my own opinion, I think that he got let go because he wasn't in "Gibbs shape". If we were still running the Sherman power running game, I think there's a decent chance that Spencer would still be around.

Back to my Weary example, the time he's lost due to his injury is still costing him his starting spot.
From Kubiak's presser today (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4463)

(on G Fred Weary) ďA little disappointed. I thought heíd be back a little earlier sometime this week. Coming out of the meeting Saturday, it doesnít look that way. It looks like weíre a little further off. No concerns about Fred (Weary) as a player or person, and you guys know what I think of him. Iím concerned heís behind in our new system. Thatís what concerns me. The hamstring has been the problem, not the work he had done before. Hopefully, we can make up some ground this week and get in there and compete before this camp is done.Ē

now one could interpret that quote as Weary isn't picking up zone blocking as quickly as the guys who are getting the snaps. But the reason he can't get the required snaps is that he is behind in his conditioning and, as a result, has to be held out of one of the two-a-day sessions. I know he was on the bike during two of the four camp sessions I went to.

steelbtexan
08-04-2008, 11:48 PM

You're preaching to the chior.

While I don't know the S&C or medical fields well, I do know that the Texans have been near the top of the league in only one thig since their inception (INJURIES).

Please do away with the last remenant of the CC regime.

I started a tread about this subject in the off season & was chastised for it.

IMO we will never win big with Dan Riley as our S&C .

FIRE DAN RILEY

nunusguy
08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Can we expect AJ to play most of the regular season games in his remaining NFL seasons ? Though he just turned only 27 and there's no denying his awesome talent and he should be in the prime of his career, he seems to have become increasingly fragile over the years he's spent in the league and I just wonder if his reliability and stamina might continue to decline when most players at his age are enjoying the most productive part of their career ?

The Pencil Neck
08-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Can we expect AJ to play most of the regular season games in his remaining NFL seasons ? Though he just turned only 27 and there's no denying his awesome talent and he should be in the prime of his career, he seems to have become increasingly fragile over the years he's spent in the league and I just wonder if his reliability and stamina might continue to decline when most players at his age are enjoying the most productive part of their career ?

I really don't see this as him becoming more and more fragile. He got injured a few years ago. He got injured last year.

He got a little tweak over the weekend but that tweak could well be related to him unconsciously trying to protect the injury he's still recovering from. But, really, players get little tweaks all the time. Everyone plays with aches and pains. I think this little groin pull would have just meant that they rested him in practice but he'd still be ready to go for the games.

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2008, 10:27 AM
You're preaching to the chior.

While I don't know the S&C or medical fields well, I do know that the Texans have been near the top of the league in only one thig since their inception (INJURIES).

Please do away with the last remenant of the CC regime.

I started a tread about this subject in the off season & was chastised for it.

IMO we will never win big with Dan Riley as our S&C .

FIRE DAN RILEY

I'm not too familiar with him but apparently he's a really respected guy in the profession. I personally don't think all the injuries are a reflection of him doing anything wrong but the personel we have on the field and those backing them up.

Better teams generally have less injuries than bad teams, and for good reason. In the past we havn't had enough good players. Our starters had to play a lot more because the back ups behind them were insufficient. It's important to have quality backups to give the starters rest here and there, we're finally able to do that without completely giving the other team an easy score. The more a player plays, the more he plays tired, the sloppier his play is going to be, translating in him or a teammate being more likely to get injured. I guess conditioning could have some to do with that, but only to an extent. I don't see it as Riley's fault but maybe the way we were practicing and preparing (coaches). I think we're getting better at that, Kubiak is doing a great job of changing the 'atmosphere' (for lack of better words) on the field and in the locker room. Players here are finally ready to WIN and so they are working harder.

Although, I will say so many of our injuries seem to be the freak kind. Dayne rolling on Spencer's leg from behind, AJ getting hit in the knee by a helmet, Jacoby being thrown down by the punter, Dunta's leg getting rolled over at a weird angle, etc.

steelbtexan
08-05-2008, 11:32 AM
I'm not too familiar with him but apparently he's a really respected guy in the profession. I personally don't think all the injuries are a reflection of him doing anything wrong but the personel we have on the field and those backing them up.

Better teams generally have less injuries than bad teams, and for good reason. In the past we havn't had enough good players. Our starters had to play a lot more because the back ups behind them were insufficient. It's important to have quality backups to give the starters rest here and there, we're finally able to do that without completely giving the other team an easy score. The more a player plays, the more he plays tired, the sloppier his play is going to be, translating in him or a teammate being more likely to get injured. I guess conditioning could have some to do with that, but only to an extent. I don't see it as Riley's fault but maybe the way we were practicing and preparing (coaches). I think we're getting better at that, Kubiak is doing a great job of changing the 'atmosphere' (for lack of better words) on the field and in the locker room. Players here are finally ready to WIN and so they are working harder.

Although, I will say so many of our injuries seem to be the freak kind. Dayne rolling on Spencer's leg from behind, AJ getting hit in the knee by a helmet, Jacoby being thrown down by the punter, Dunta's leg getting rolled over at a weird angle, etc.

I see your point but we also wre near the top of the league in injuries during the CC years.

I just dont think there is a coincedence between Dan Riley (2 different regimes) & all of the injuries we seem to get compared to other teams in the league.

aj.
08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
The only question I have for Riley is why now? [in terms of his change in philosophy to warm up instead of stretching before practice this year - given his many years in the profession]

nero THE zero
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
The only question I have for Riley is why now? [in terms of his change in philosophy to warm up instead of stretching before practice this year - given his many years in the profession]

I can't answer for him but I imagine there could be a lot of answers to that question. Maybe he wanted to change things up since what they were doing before obviously wasn't working. Maybe there has been a significant change in exercise science paradigm. I know the Braves have been using a similar warm up philosophy for a few years now. So, the Texans aren't alone in this practice.

But, I would like to know the answer to that as well.

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2008, 01:08 PM
I see your point but we also wre near the top of the league in injuries during the CC years.

I just dont think there is a coincedence between Dan Riley (2 different regimes) & all of the injuries we seem to get compared to other teams in the league.

I guess my thinking goes right along with that. Even when Kubiak took over 2 years ago and including last year... we still didn't have the personnel we really wanted on the field. Kubiak had to release some players from the CC era (CC castoffs) and sign "stop-gap" type of players (like Moulds and Dayne) for the short term because you can't find the right players at every position in one offseason. I think we're still trying to get the right players on our team and are really close to it. That's why I think the injuries have carried over for the couple years Kubes has been on board.

I really think that once we have solid starters and solid back ups that can put in some playing time, the quantity of our injures will siginificantly decrease. This, of course, is all speculation by me though.

This is finally a year where I can personally say I'm much more comfortable with our depth... next year should be even better. We're finally starting to cut good football players from our team because they aren't good enough. That's the first sign your team is getting better and close to where you want it to be.

Rex King
08-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess my thinking goes right along with that. Even when Kubiak took over 2 years ago and including last year... we still didn't have the personnel we really wanted on the field. Kubiak had to release some players from the CC era (CC castoffs) and sign "stop-gap" type of players (like Moulds and Dayne) for the short term because you can't find the right players at every position in one offseason. I think we're still trying to get the right players on our team and are really close to it. That's why I think the injuries have carried over for the couple years Kubes has been on board.

I think you have a good point. McKinney and Ahman Green fall into that category - you get older, you're bound to have more injuries. I wasn't too confident in Riley or the medical staff for the sheer number of them, but more so the drawn out sagas of DD, Green, and Mathis. But in reviewing the IR list from last year, there aren't a whole lot there that you can blame on conditioning.

Ole Miss Texan
08-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I think you have a good point. McKinney and Ahman Green fall into that category - you get older, you're bound to have more injuries. I wasn't too confident in Riley or the medical staff for the sheer number of them, but more so the drawn out sagas of DD, Green, and Mathis. But in reviewing the IR list from last year, there aren't a whole lot there that you can blame on conditioning.

Did you know that Mathis is still listed on our depth chart as a backup PR on nfl.com !? http://www.nfl.com/teams/houstontexans/depthchart?team=HOU

I saw that the other day and got to remembering about Mathis... it's a shame he just couldn't stay healthy. Then I just watched a youtube video of Andre Davis' 2 returns against JAX last season and I didn't miss Mathis too much. :)

ChampionTexan
08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one who grimaces at this thread title every time they see it. Could we please change it to

"AJ injured - but it's the same injury as last time, not a new one, and they think it's pretty minor as long as they take precautions with him, so we're pretty much talking about injuries in general now, along with Dan Riley specifically!"

Polo
08-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Losing causes a lot of injuries too.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2008, 07:56 PM
You automatically become the "wrong personel" once you get injured. I bet we can look back at some very promising players that became injured (not necessarily freak) and then just disappeared. Some of these were depth players that were tagged with the expectation to work themselves up the ladder.........but later tagged to anonymity. When you have a promising depth player (whether draftee or FA acquisition) that gets injured
he is classified as the "wrong personel" before he has the opportunity to realize the "right personel" label. If conditioning has been a significant factor, it could very well explain why we seem to have gotten our share of the "wrong personel"................and will be a reason for why we will forever looking to be stocking up on "good depth." Just food for thought.

infantrycak
08-06-2008, 07:39 AM
You automatically become the "wrong personel" once you get injured. I bet we can look back at some very promising players that became injured (not necessarily freak) and then just disappeared.

Example--Ramon Walker. Blocked a punt and a kick plus made something silly like 3 of 5 special teams tackles against NE. Blew his knee out the next week and never touched the radar screen again.

Ole Miss Texan
08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I view "wrong personnel" as not fitting into the system you are either installing or have installed. Kubiak talked repeatedly when he got here and they were changing things up, about getting the 'right' guys in here. Babin might be a good example of being in the "wrong personnel" category as he was more of a 3-4 defensive guy and not a true LB or DE in the 4-3. When you have guys playing out of position, it's not good for your team or themselves. Kubiak had to get guys that play the way he wants them to play in the schemes he wants to run.

steelbtexan
08-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I'm not blaming Dan Riley for all of our injuries.

I just believe that he either has bad karma or his S&C routine is out dated.

gtexan02
08-07-2008, 11:53 AM
AJ is rehabbing in the pool, getting lots of massages to his groin. This is what we get for an update.

‘Dre report: ... He has been in the pool rehabbing his groin while head athletic trainer Kevin Bastin supervises his workouts.

Johnson’s injury isn’t major and doesn’t require surgery. He’s had some soreness, but his groin has been feeling healthier each day.

I am getting massages on it and, like I said, just taking it one day at a time and doing a lot of rehab to make sure that when I come back, I am at full strength.”

Groin massages in the pool... man, training camp sounds rough...

(only kidding, get well soon AJ!)

Malloy
08-07-2008, 12:04 PM
AJ is rehabbing in the pool, getting lots of massages to his groin. This is what we get for an update.

Add a keg to that and it's just like summer vacation ;)

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2008, 05:49 PM

‘Dre report: ... He has been in the pool rehabbing his groin while head athletic trainer Kevin Bastin supervises his workouts.
Johnson’s injury isn’t major and doesn’t require surgery
. He’s had some soreness, but his groin has been feeling healthier each day.

I am getting massages on it and, like I said, just taking it one day at a time and doing a lot of rehab to make sure that when I come back, I am at full strength.”

It's statements just like this that make me nervous.........why even mention this? When there is so much effort to dispell things, you start wondering if there is something not being shared. Too much deja vu. :gun:

gtexan02
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
It's statements just like this that make me nervous.........why even mention this? When there is so much effort to dispell things, you start wondering if there is something not being shared. Too much deja vu. :gun:

I completely agree that it seems very strange to even mention that. Why? He didn't pull it. He doesn't need surgery. So what exactly is wrong?

steelbtexan
08-08-2008, 01:22 AM

When it comes to the Texans & injuries I'm always worried.

The Texans always understate injuries (case in point AJ's hyper- extended knee last year). DDWs knee.

MEGA SWATT
08-08-2008, 10:57 PM
so AJ will not play Sat. night right?:texflag:

Allstar
08-08-2008, 11:23 PM
so AJ will not play Sat. night right?:texflag:

Right. There's absolutely no reason for him to risk injury in our first preseason game.