PDA

View Full Version : Joey Dorsey (Houston Rocket) trying out for the Texans?

mussop
08-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Would be sweet to have an Antonio Gates type athalete at TE or DE.

http://dimemag.com/2008/07/joey-dorsey-wants-to-play-in-the-nfl/

Joey Dorsey Wants to Play in the NFL
By Andrew Katz

Could Dorsey play in the NFL? (photo. NBA)Joey Dorsey is 6-9 265 lbs. physical freak with Evander Holyfield’s shoulders. He was the sole enforcer on Memphis’ national runner-up squad, swallowing up virtually every rebound and tossing weak shots around the tin.

The Rockets liked Dorsey’s ridiculous athleticism (38-inch vertical) and toughness enough to trade for him despite being stacked three or four-deep already at power forward. But Joey doesn’t seem concerned about his spot on the Rockets. He can’t get his mind off of another Texas team that has inquired about his services.

At a recent workout with the Rockets, the Texans came to scout Dorsey as a potential Antonio Gates (Kent State, San Diego Chargers)/Tony Gonzalez (Cal, Kansas City Chiefs) two-sport standout.

“Football’s my passion - it’s my first love,” Dorsey told us. “They said I’ve got some of the fastest feet for a big man they’ve ever seen. I can see myself playing [defensive] end or tight end.”

Maybe Dorsey doesn’t realize that with the NFL starting in August and running through late January, it would be directly conflicting with at least two months of the Rockets’ regular season. Or maybe he’s just prepping himself for another career if things don’t work out with the NBA.

I almost hope our PF's do so well the Rockets wont need him. Like to see what he could do in pads. He was really an enforcer in college basketball. He looks tough enough and fiery enough to make that kind of a move forsure.

Polo
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
A 6'9" football player is going to have a hard time...

That said, I'd like to see what he could do at DE...

TEXANS84
08-01-2008, 03:03 PM
I've always wondered what Karl Malone would do in football situations. Dorsey is probably the closest thing to it.

Allstar
08-01-2008, 03:10 PM

He's really only 6'7. Heights are always exaggerated in basketball for obvious reasons.

TexanSam
08-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I remember Lance Z. said that he talked to a scout and he said Chuck Hayes looks like he would be a good NFL tight end. I'm assuming the scout didn't watch enough Rockets games to see that Hayes can't catch a basketball pass so I'm not sure how that would translate into being a good TE...

Ole Miss Texan
08-01-2008, 03:15 PM
I cannot even begin to fathom the red zone scoring opportunities with putting him at TE. The 5 yard contact rule would be a huge advantage and being 6'9 with a 38" vert., I imagine he's able to outleap quite a few linebackers and corners/safeties. On top of that, he's a stud rebounder and knows how to catch/block the ball at its' highest point (aka he knows how to jump.. which sounds silly).

EDIT: Saw just posted he may 'only' be 6'7. With that said, he'd still probably be the tallest player on the field.
If nothing else, Madden would be fun! LOL

Polo
08-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I remember Lance Z. said that he talked to a scout and he said Chuck Hayes looks like he would be a good NFL tight end. I'm assuming the scout didn't watch enough Rockets games to see that Hayes can't catch a basketball pass so I'm not sure how that would translate into being a good TE...

Actually Chuck Hayes' hands are really good...

Texan_Bill
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I've always wondered what Karl Malone would do in football situations. Dorsey is probably the closest thing to it.

HA!!! He (Malone) would fall over as the punter grazed him but then knee someone in the groin and win absolutely nothing.. -SO- Pretty much the same as his NBA career.

mussop
08-01-2008, 03:41 PM
I cannot even begin to fathom the red zone scoring opportunities with putting him at TE. The 5 yard contact rule would be a huge advantage and being 6'9 with a 38" vert., I imagine he's able to outleap quite a few linebackers and corners/safeties. On top of that, he's a stud rebounder and knows how to catch/block the ball at its' highest point (aka he knows how to jump.. which sounds silly).

EDIT: Saw just posted he may 'only' be 6'7. With that said, he'd still probably be the tallest player on the field.
If nothing else, Madden would be fun! LOL

Ive actually read 6'6.25" but this is what would make a difference anyway. 8' 11" standing reach, 7' 1.75" wingspan and a 38in verticle. :kingkong:

I would to see him tryout for us if he doesnt make it as a Rocket. What do we have to loose?

DoCRoN
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
HA!!! He (Malone) would fall over as the punter grazed him but then knee someone in the groin and win absolutely nothing.. -SO- Pretty much the same as his NBA career.

Love it love it love it. Freakin' hate Malone. Spot on Texan_Bill!

Thorn
08-01-2008, 05:14 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of The Fridge from Pittsburg. Don't know why.

Corrosion
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM

That gave me a good laugh ..... I must spread rep around .

Chicagotexan1
08-01-2008, 05:40 PM
For some reason this thread reminds me of The Fridge from Pittsburg. Don't know why.

It reminds me of that wrestling dope Lezner trying out for the Vikes. But Dorsey could pull it off. He's a thug (in a great way) on the court that intimidates and bullies the oppostion and he loves doing it. That and his athleticism could translate to football.

dtran04
08-01-2008, 06:06 PM
He did call himself "Ray Lewis with a basketball".

TexanSam
08-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Actually Chuck Hayes' hands are really good...

Really? I always recall him letting passes slip through his hands that would have been an easy layup. Unless I'm thinking of someone else. I'm fairly sure that's Hayes though.

CloakNNNdagger
08-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Why stop at TE or DE..........put 25 pounds on him and give us dueling LT's. :cowboy1:

ObsiWan
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM

Harold Carmichael had a pretty decent career. Wasn't he 6'-8" or something?
My question is: what's his 40 time? He's no good if he's running a 5.5 40 or something...

b0ng
08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Harold Carmichael had a pretty decent career. Wasn't he 6'-8" or something?
My question is: what's his 40 time? He's no good if he's running a 5.5 40 or something...

He's a basketball player, I imagine he can run under 5 in a 40 yard dash.

Allstar
08-01-2008, 10:19 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2q15j02.jpg

http://i35.tinypic.com/2wqao8g.jpg

Honoring Earl 34
08-02-2008, 06:35 AM
Mario is that tall with a 41 inch vertical .

76Texan
08-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Ed "Too Tall" Jones (1974-1989) was listed at 6'9
He recorded 106 sacks (unofficially, since sack number wasn't kept as a stat until 1982). His season high was 13.

He also took one year off during his football career to try boxing (winning all his matches in the process.)

austintexanite
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
I would have no problem with him trying out. Who knows, maybe he is the other speed rusher we need to help out on the d-line.

mussop
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Mario is that tall with a 41 inch vertical .

Isnt it great!!:)

CloakNNNdagger
08-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I would have no problem with him trying out. Who knows, maybe he is the other speed rusher we need to help out on the d-line.

Or a complimentary "Enforcer" to Okam.:wild:

ObsiWan
08-02-2008, 05:22 PM
maybe we could give him some of Weaver's money; seems like it would be put to better use that way

Ole Miss Texan
08-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Any more news?

powerfuldragon
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I've always wondered what Karl Malone would do in football situations.
probably somethign similar to this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/malonekickhorry.jpg

badboy
08-07-2008, 10:38 AM
It reminds me of that wrestling dope Lezner trying out for the Vikes. But Dorsey could pull it off. He's a thug (in a great way) on the court that intimidates and bullies the oppostion and he loves doing it. That and his athleticism could translate to football.Info on Brock Lesnar if anyone is interested.
[URL="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=237599"]
http://mmamania.com/2008/05/24/brock-lesnar-vs-heath-herring-ufc-87-fight-slated/
I do not know results of Saturday fight.

mussop
08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Info on Brock Lesnar if anyone is interested.
[URL="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=237599"]
http://mmamania.com/2008/05/24/brock-lesnar-vs-heath-herring-ufc-87-fight-slated/
I do not know results of Saturday fight.

You would have to be phycic. The fight isnt until this Saturday.

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I always though Micheal Young of U of H made the mistake of not attempting a football career. What I'm reading about Dorsey is that he is an enforcer type guy.

The problem is, he is not Gates. He is under contract to the Rockets. Mr. Alexander would lend him to Mr McNair and expose his property to injury because ? I don't think this one is going to fly. It'd be one thing to take the chance on him if he weren't under contract. Quite another for two pro franchises to "share" a talent. Then there is the money. What do you pay a back up TE under contract to another club in another sport ?

I did see the sissy futball guy kick with Criss Brown for tickets for charity. Now I would look into that. Criss Brown got hurt for a few weeks be nice under the current roster restrains to have a guy in the pipeline.

mexican_texan
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Really? I always recall him letting passes slip through his hands that would have been an easy layup. Unless I'm thinking of someone else. I'm fairly sure that's Hayes though.
I'm with you, I've seen him drop easy passes.

BTW, is that the chick from Shooter?