PDA

View Full Version : Mike Bell is now a Texan

RobbC
07-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Adam Caplan at BattleRedNation.com / Scout.com reports the Houston Texans have signed Mike Bell to a contract. Contract details have not been released and we'll have to wait and see who is released to make roster space.

76Texan
07-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Holly cow, that was quick!

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Chris Brown has 1 foot out the door.

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Another RB that won't help us much. I wish we'd go after some kind of RB with some potential or one that isn't injured everyday at some point.

Tailgate
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Another RB that won't help us much. I wish we'd go after some kind of RB with some potential or one that isn't injured everyday at some point.

Any suggestions on who?

Bell knows our system already, this may be just what C Brown needs to light a fire under him and get him in gear, and is insurance if he cant.

Vinny
07-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Another RB that won't help us much. I wish we'd go after some kind of RB with some potential or one that isn't injured everyday at some point.if Bell didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted and bounced from the Ravens to the Chiefs until he became Priest Holmes - the best back in the league for a few years. Not comparing him to Holmes but you bring in players you think can add something and let r rip.

pittbull3
07-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Well, that means so long to Chris Brown. I knew it wouldn't take long. As soon as he missed the 1st day, due to a wedding, his commitment was going to be challenged. Now with all the "back" issues.....I think its all excuses. Sorry to see ya go, but you have to get that attitude up outta here!:bat:

Lucky
07-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Not to start another pissing contest. But it is interesting that the Texans brought in another RB, and it wasn't Cedric Benson.

DiehardChris
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
The Texans cut S Brandon Harrison.

Brando
07-31-2008, 02:02 PM
if Bell didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted and bounced from the Ravens to the Chiefs until he became Priest Holmes - the best back in the league for a few years. Not comparing him to Holmes but you bring in players you think can add something and let r rip.

Just like when we signed Sage Rosenfels.......

Some people just thrive in different organizations/systems.

Ole Miss Texan
07-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Worst case we cut somebody we were going to cut anyways, Bell proves be just another RB during camp that helps take up reps and gives other RB's that will make the team more rest (less likely to injure). Let the defense beat up on him, and then he gets released, not making the team.

If anything, we're short 1 RB in practice and he just replaces for practice. If he makes the team because he's better than another RB (Brown?) then that's only good. He knows the system, the plays, and the drills. I think it's a good thing, whether he makes the team or not.

drewmar74

Pardon my laziness, but was he the one from Stanford? I get (er... used to get) the Brandons confused.

Ole Miss Texan

Dangit! I thought he may have some potential... hope we see him back.

76Texan
07-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Bell, 24, wasn't drafted out of Arizona in 2006 but produced like a first-day selection. He ran for 677 yards and scored eight touchdowns, but after a promising start to the '07 preseason, hurt his shoulder, ended up getting passed by Selvin Young on the depth chart and then was switched to fullback. He appeared in just five games at his new position and notched only six overall carries.

After a critical fumble on his lone rushing attempt in a Nov. 25 loss at Chicago, Bell was declared inactive for the remainder of the season and any trade value was diminished.

Hmm, that's interesting!

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 02:08 PM
if Bell didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted and bounced from the Ravens to the Chiefs until he became Priest Holmes - the best back in the league for a few years.

OMG, you're trying to use Priest Homes as an example to Mike Bell? Give me a break.

If he had POTENTIAL, then he'd still be with the Broncos. The guy had numerous opportunities to take that starting job, and was never that good in one of the easiest rushing offenses in the league. The Broncos have grabbed several RB's since Bell has been there, so he obviously didn't show that much potential nor was he consistent when he had his chances.

The Texans have quite a bit of history of grabbing bad RB's, so acting like a guy has so much potential just because the Texans signed him is being totally homerish. Yeah, I remember hearing how much potential Stacy Mack, Ron Dayne, Wali Lundy, Chris Taylor, Vernon Morency, Amaan Green, and Kris Brown all had and feeling the same way I do now about Mike Bell. DD has been the only good RB this franchise has signed since it's existance, and you can deny that all you want, but stats and production speaks for itself.

Sorry, but I don't automatically assume that a guy has great potential just because the Texans signed him because that's my team. Chris Brown was just another Amaan Green type of signing which is starting to look like he might not even make it out of camp. Go figure. Mike Bell will be just another pair of legs out there carrying the ball. Another Wali Lindy type of signing we just made.

Vinny
07-31-2008, 02:09 PM
try to relax and I won't need to give you a break. I clearly used an example of another undrafted guy who bounced from a team as why you don't give up on players just because they didn't work out with their first teams for whatever reason. Most don't work out but you have to move a lot of dirt to find a diamond.

DiehardChris
07-31-2008, 02:10 PM
I hate to see Harrison go. Yes, he's the one from Stanford - fifth-round pick.

I remember the Texans being very high on him last year before his injury. I actually had him making the team in my roster prediction... but I guess at this point he wasn't even ahead of Brandon Mitchell, who was an undrafted FA.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
OMG, you're trying to use Priest Homes as an example to Mike Bell? Give me a break.

If he had POTENTIAL, then he'd still be with the Broncos.
*cough* Derek Anderson *cough*

The Ravens released him during camp last year..... he went on to become a pro-bowler and the Ravens went on to reaching on a QB with their first pick.

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 02:14 PM
try to relax and I won't need to give you a break. I clearly used an example of another undrafted guy who bounced from a team as why you don't give up on players just because they didn't work out with their first teams for whatever reason. Most don't work out but you have to move a lot of dirt to find a diamond.

If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.

Sorry but signing him didn't really help the team. It just added another so so RB to the roster that will blend in with the bunch we already have.

Goldensilence
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Not sure if he's signed for camp or if this is an option they felt might be better down the line for depth this season.

Funny I keep hearing Brown is one foot out the door but I hear nothing about Ahman Green. Perhaps I am missing something. Is he tearing it up in TC? You guys complain about bringing Bell in but aren't hesitant to set Brown out. That makes sense.

Do I think we're set at RB not really but I don't think we're dealing nearly with the shitty voltron RBBC that some people want to portray.

What Running Backs could the Texans go after Tex? Are you putting your name on the list of people that'd like Shaun Alexander?

TexanSam
07-31-2008, 02:17 PM
[B]If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.

Who's better out there? Just curious.

TD
07-31-2008, 02:18 PM
Bell, 24, wasn't drafted out of Arizona in 2006 but produced like a first-day selection. He ran for 677 yards and scored eight touchdowns, but after a promising start to the '07 preseason, hurt his shoulder, ended up getting passed by Selvin Young on the depth chart and then was switched to fullback. He appeared in just five games at his new position and notched only six overall carries.

After a critical fumble on his lone rushing attempt in a Nov. 25 loss at Chicago, Bell was declared inactive for the remainder of the season and any trade value was diminished.

I've never figured out situations like this. Seems like teams shoot themselves in the foot sometimes with their throw-a-way attitude with players. I doesn't even look like they gave him a chance to return to form. Six carries?!?! Might as well been none.

SOLIS
Yeah too bad about Harrison...

As for Mike Bell, I like the move. The kid knows the system and if nothing else, he's a young back who still has something to prove. He's been cut once - lets see if that helps motivate him a little more now that he's here with a new team.

Its a good low risk move.

kravix
If he wasn't the diamond in Denver, what on earth makes you think he could come and be one over here with Salaam and a rookie at tackle? Their are better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now than Mike Bell I can assure you.

Sorry but signing him didn't really help the team. It just added another so so RB to the roster that will blend in with the bunch we already have.

Name them. But dont just spout off names because you can. Give good sensible reasons. Dont forget that you have to take into account the time of year, the scheme, and the personality of the team.

Texecutioner

The Ravens released him during camp last year..... he went on to become a pro-bowler and the Ravens went on to reaching on a QB with their first pick.

Now you're trying to compare a QB who had nice offensive weapons to work with to a RB who was already in RB's heaven in Denver? Sorry, different position that isn't even comparable.

You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out. I've watched the guy quite a bit, and he wasn't even impressive in Denver's rushing offense the last two years. He wasn't able to keep the starting job either.

76Texan
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
Not sure if he's signed for camp or if this is an option they felt might be better down the line for depth this season.

Funny I keep hearing Brown is one foot out the door but I hear nothing about Ahman Green. Perhaps I am missing something. Is he tearing it up in TC? You guys complain about bringing Bell in but aren't hesitant to set Brown out. That makes sense.

Do I think we're set at RB not really but I don't think we're dealing nearly with the shitty voltron RBBC that some people want to portray.

What Running Backs could the Texans go after Tex? Are you putting your name on the list of people that'd like Shaun Alexander?Yeah, Green has been looking really good in TC.

Vinny
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM

You are gonna assure me that the Texans think there are better backs out there but won't sign them because they want to "blend" (whatever that means) more than upgrade the personnel? Just what exactly are you saying?

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Now you're trying to compare a QB who had nice offensive weapons to work with to a RB who was already in RB's heaven in Denver? Sorry, different position that isn't even comparable.

You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out. I've watched the guy quite a bit, and he wasn't even impressive in Denver's rushing offense the last two years. He wasn't able to keep the starting job either.

Whats not comparable? Priest and Derek's first team didn't think much of them, released them, they went on to their second team and became studs. Ironically, the team that released both of them were the Ravens.

kravix
07-31-2008, 02:21 PM

I missed the post that said Bell is the next star rusher in the league who will dominate all defences and propell the Texans to 10 consecutive Super Bowl victories. See I can over exaggerate to.

infantrycak
07-31-2008, 02:23 PM
You guys can think that Mike Bell is about to do great things all you want and applaud the signing. Knock yourself out.

Who is making big predictions for him or acting all giddy? You're tilting at an imaginary windmill.

gtexan02
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
I think he may do pretty well, personally.
680 yards, 4.3 ypc, and 8 tds as a rookie in the exact same system we run?
Why not?

Malloy
07-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Andre Davis' been working out for us too.. go figure :)

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Name them. But dont just spout off names because you can. Give good sensible reasons. Dont forget that you have to take into account the time of year, the scheme, and the personality of the team.

Right now, I would be all for going after Andre Hall from the Broncos. Every time he touched the field last year he played well. He showed HR potential and made some big plays. He didn't get that many opportunities last year because the Broncos has Young, Bell, and Henry. When he did, he really played well though. I think the Texans could probably get him for a really late pick or something, and he does have the potential to be a starter here. He also knows the system already, and watching him run he looked way better than Bell ever has.

I also wouldn't going after Canton Kieth from the Colts. He played really well as a backup last year and when Addai went down, their running game didn't miss a beat with Kieth starting. The Colts got Rhodes back, so I could see them letting go of Kieth especially after he got arrested a few months back.

Those are two backups that I think have a lot more potential than Mike Bell.

HoustonFrog
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Who is making big predictions for him or acting all giddy? You're tilting at an imaginary windmill.

I was about to say the same. Isn't he signed to be one of 5 back?I didn't know we just scored our game breaker.

Specnatz
07-31-2008, 02:28 PM

*cough* Ryan Grant *cough*

Vinny
07-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Right now, I would be all for going after Andre Hall from the Broncos. Every time he touched the field last year he played well. He showed HR potential and made some big plays. He didn't get that many opportunities last year because the Broncos has Young, Bell, and Henry. When he did, he really played well though. I think the Texans could probably get him for a really late pick or something, and he does have the potential to be a starter here. He also knows the system already, and watching him run he looked way better than Bell ever has.

I also wouldn't going after Canton Kieth from the Colts. He played really well as a backup last year and when Addai went down, their running game didn't miss a beat with Kieth starting. The Colts got Rhodes back, so I could see them letting go of Kieth especially after he got arrested a few months back.

teams don't tend to trade away their backs at this point in the season....I'd consider these suggestions a bit unrealistic even if they aren't the lead backs for their teams. If you trade away your back up players you just have to sign a FA to replace them.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
I was about to say the same. Isn't he signed to be one of 5 back?I didn't know we just scored our game breaker.

1 of 6 if we include Chris "my pp hurts" Brown. :specnatz:

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
teams don't tend to trade away their backs at this point in the season....I'd consider these suggestions a bit unrealistic even if they aren't the lead backs for their teams.

I've been wanting the Texans to go after these two for a while now Vinny. I'm not saying it was an awful signing. I'm saying that this isn't going to help much. All we did was sign another average back that is probably about as good as Walker.

Señor Stan
07-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Will Zoolander errr Demps was signed after the Giants cut him last year.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
*cough* Ryan Grant *cough*

Forgot about that one. This is a better example.

Thorn
Aw Jesus H Christ folks, so what if we signed someone else's cast off. Big deal. He's just another in a long list of hopefulls. We don't have much other than a slowed down Green in our backfield, Bell is no better or worse than a lot of the others.

We don't have a "go to" back yet, and until we do (which will probably be in next years draft) we gotta live on left overs.

I wish Bell all the luck in the world, and hopefully he doesn't get himself injured his first day of practice. LOL

DiehardChris
So much anger!

Nobody thinks this guy's going to set the world on fire - or even make the team! Nobody thinks he's Walter Payton, or even Terrell Davis. He's a guy who's coming in to get reps at RB so that the other RBs don't get overworked... and so that Chris Brown can watch another RB take his reps.

It's just for more competition. That's a good thing. I don't think anyone thinks we just signed a 1000 yard rusher. Sheesh!

ChampionTexan
07-31-2008, 02:36 PM

The chances of him being the next Priest Holmes is pretty much astronomical, but Holmes had far more chances to prove himself in Baltimore than Bell did in Denver.

You are probably right about Bell not being a difference maker (or even a roster-maker) with the Texans, but your logic is just plain wrong.

And for the second time, who are the other RB's out there (and make sure they haven't been given a previous opportunity and not made the most of it).

Hardcore Texan
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

I am good with the signing, it's another camp body at this point and no one else is claiming otherwise. Let's see how it pans out between now and the 53 man roster.

And no way we need to trade away draft picks, not with the way Rick Smith put those picks to use.

Vinny
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
I've been wanting the Texans to go after these two for a while now Vinny. I'm not saying it was an awful signing. I'm saying that this isn't going to help much. All we did was sign another average back that is probably about as good as Walker.
Possibly but they may not like what they have seen in Brown and they may think that Bell gives them a viable alternative if he can't keep it together. Walker has done less than Bell has in the league so far, and on a team that had no real talent at the RB position when Green and Taylor went down last year....fwiw

HOU-TEX
07-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Aw Jesus H Christ folks, so what if we signed someone else's cast off. Big deal. He's just another in a long list of hopefulls. We don't have much other than a slowed down Green in our backfield, Bell is no better or worse than a lot of the others.

We don't have a "go to" back yet, and until we do (which will probably be in next years draft) we gotta live on left overs.

I wish Bell all the luck in the world, and hopefully he doesn't get himself injured his first day of practice. LOL

On the contrary, Thorn. Green has been looking every bit as fast as he was in the past. IMO, he's making his case for the starting RB position.

Now, having said that, we need to knock on every piece of wood in sight so he stays healthy. :shades:

painekiller
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
Worst case we cut somebody we were going to cut anyways, Bell proves be just another RB during camp that helps take up reps and gives other RB's that will make the team more rest (less likely to injure). Let the defense beat up on him, and then he gets released, not making the team.

If anything, we're short 1 RB in practice and he just replaces for practice. If he makes the team because he's better than another RB (Brown?) then that's only good. He knows the system, the plays, and the drills. I think it's a good thing, whether he makes the team or not.

That is why he is being brought in, more to keep the others fresh, then to push anyone. But who knows maybe lighting strikes...

kravix
07-31-2008, 02:40 PM

Mike Bell is free. Neither of those two are. After his rookie year and before his injury Mike Bell looked like a potential starter also, with a much bigger body of work than Hall.

Bell knows the system and I wouldnt be suprised if he was at practice tonight. We needed bodies at RB. He can come in right away and give good reps. Where other RB's will have a wait time or more catching up to do in the sytem. Every Rep in camp is important.

Thorn
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
On the contrary, Thorn. Green has been looking every bit as fast as he was in the past. IMO, he's making his case for the starting RB position.

Now, having said that, we need to knock on every piece of wood in sight so he stays healthy. :shades:

In that case, I shall go knocking on every tree I can find!!!

.......er....but hopefully not with my car.......

Goldensilence
07-31-2008, 02:41 PM

That was my first thought when i heard Green is doing well in TC. Sounds eerily like last year.

Specnatz
07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
So much anger!

Nobody thinks this guy's going to set the world on fire - or even make the team! Nobody thinks he's Walter Payton, or even Terrell Davis. He's a guy who's coming in to get reps at RB so that the other RBs don't get overworked... and so that Chris Brown can watch another RB take his reps.

It's just for more competition. That's a good thing. I don't think anyone thinks we just signed a 1000 yard rusher. Sheesh!

That is the point most of us were or are trying to make it. Some of us who have mentioned guys who were cast offs and showed something are looking for a positive instead of being 'Debbie Downer'. Everyone seems to believe the team will keep 4 backs and at least one FB maybe 2. So the more backs to see who is the best fit the better at this point in time.

As far as trading for someone elses backup with a late round pick; I am sure a lot of that was discussed prior and during this past years draft. It did not happen then I seriously doubt it will happen now with teams going into training camp because of the unknown injury that may or may not happen. That is almost like "Mr. Ridiculous Trade Proposal Guy" in baseball or on madden.

ObsiWan
07-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Andre Davis' been working out for us too.. go figure :)

and where did we get Kevin Walter from again....?
:thinking:

HOU-TEX
07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
That was my first thought when i heard Green is doing well in TC. Sounds eerily like last year.

Yeah, I know, but honestly I was quite surprised at the burst he was showing after the cut at the LOS.

If Ahman stays healthy (big if), the starting role is his to lose. :texflag:

TexansSeminole
07-31-2008, 02:45 PM

I am going to mimic what others have said and say that teams don't just trade away role players on their team at this point in the year.

You can't really bash a signing by saying we should have traded for someone's backup running back. As if this is Madden and all you need to do is drag and click.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 02:48 PM

Vonta Leach can contribute to this team? Don't be silly, he went undrafted, and GB didn't want him! He has no potential....

drewmar74
07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
PFT's take on it:

Mike Bell was on his way to Denver just a few months after Gary Kubiak, who gained a reputation for being able to lead any running back to 1,000 yards, left to become the head coach of the Texans in 2006. In 2008, they’ll actually share an employer.

The Texans have signed the former undrafted free agent to a contract, the terms of which aren’t yet disclosed.

Bell’s a one-cut runner familiar with the zone-blocking scheme the Texans will run this year. He had a productive rookie season, rushing for eight touchdowns and 677 yards on 4.3 yards per carry. But in 2007 he became a victim of Mike Shanahan’s revolving door at tailback and managed only three yards on six carries. The Broncos released him after he couldn’t convert to fullback.

The signing is a response on the Texans’ part to Chris Brown’s back problems. The oft-injured Brown has missed four straight days of practice and isn’t expected back soon. Despite the presence of six backs on the Texans’ roster, there is a vacuum of power where carries can be had, but Bell will be competing with Brown (eventually), Ahman Green, Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor, and Darius Walker for them.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

That sentence I bolded really jumped out at me. Not so much the missed practices, rather the allusion to him being out for a while.

Señor Stan
07-31-2008, 02:51 PM

Problem number one. Hall is still a Bronco. Enough people have replied to this that I don't need to cover it.

Problem two...here is Hall's bio from the Bronco website.

CAREER TRANSACTIONS: Signed by Tampa Bay as a college free agent 5/1/06; Waived by Tampa Bay 7/21/06; Signed by Chicago 8/3/06; Waived by Chicago 9/1/06; Signed by Denver (practice squad) 11/13/06.

Dude must not have any potential. He was cut by Tampa and Chicago before Denver signed him.

infantrycak
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM

We signed him as a low tender restricted free agent.

ObsiWan
07-31-2008, 02:52 PM

one reason you probably won't see Kenton Keith in Texan uni....
LINK (http://www.theindychannel.com/sports/15941208/detail.html)

Police Arrest Colts Running Back Outside Nightclub

Keith Accused Of Public Intoxication, Disorderly Conduct

INDIANAPOLIS -- Indianapolis Colts running back Kenton Keith faces a Wednesday court hearing after he was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of, among other things, refusing to leave the parking lot of a local nightclub.

Police said Keith, 27, was arrested outside the Cloud 9 nightclub, in the 5100 block of West 38th Street, after 3 a.m. on preliminary charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct, resisting law enforcement and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

nunusguy
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I wish we'd go after some kind of RB with some potential

Backs are a dime a dozen.

drewmar74
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
And the Chronic's take on it:

With concerns still surrounding the back injury to Chris Brown, the Texans signed former Broncos running back Mike Bell on Thursday.

Bell is well-versed on the zone-blocking scheme the Texans are implementing this offseason.

He is a third-year back who saw his most success as a rookie in 2006 in Denver. He posted the fourth-most rushing yards (677) and tied for the second-most rushing touchdowns (8) by an undrafted NFL rookie since the inception of the common draft in 1967. Bell battled injuries in 2007 and saw little playing time.

The 6-0, 225 pounder was released by the Broncos this offseason when he struggled as the team tried to move him to fullback.

To make room on the roster for Bell, the Texans released safety Brandon Harrison.

Chris Brown missed his fourth day of practice because of back problems Thursday. Kubiak said his return could still be two more days away.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5917600.html

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
Problem number one. Hall is still a Bronco. Enough people have replied to this that I don't need to cover it.

Problem two...here is Hall's bio from the Bronco website.

Dude must not have any potential. He was cut by Tampa and Chicago before Denver signed him.

I liked what I saw from Hall last year a lot more than what I saw from Bell.

I'm not going to keep going back and forth with people on this issue. I've already left my opinion on this, and it won't change until Bell proves me wrong. However, it doesn't matter. He is a Texan now and what I think doesn't change the situation. I will support him and hope that we get the best out of him.

ObsiWan
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
We signed him as a low tender restricted free agent.
okay, I guess that's a bit different.

DBCooper
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Depth, Depth, Depth.

If we can sign them cheap, line them up and let the best players win.

The guy doesn't have to be the next Barry Sanders, just a solid football player that either wins some reps or pushes someone else to step it up.

HOU-TEX
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't know where they pulled the comment about Green not doing well in camp. The Chron article they linked it to doesn't mention anything about it. Someone's pulling stuff out of their ass. Green has been doing very well in camp.

From Rotoworld
Texans signed RB Mike Bell, formerly of the Broncos.

Bell may only be insurance behind injured Chris Brown for now, but it's an ideal landing spot. The Texans' backfield is wide open and supposed starter Ahman Green has not stood out early in camp. We've got a ways to go and Bell isn't at all locked into a roster spot, but he can't be ruled out for a role. Bell can make one cut and go and excels in short-yardage situations. If Ron Dayne can be effective in Houston, Bell has a shot too.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/home_NFL.aspx

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
It's like I said in another thread, Bell is just being brought in to save the guys we expect to make the team. Odds are, he's going to be let go. We don't expect him to improve our team because we don't expect him to make it. We just expect him to give the "real" guys a break.

He costs nothing.

We cut a safety (which I called in that other thread) because we had a glut of them. I'm sad to see Harrison go because I was hoping he'd end up being good. But he probably wasn't going to make this team, either.

So we traded one cheap guy who isn't going to make the team for another.

And if Bell comes in and does do well, so much the better.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
We cut Harrison? I thought we were grooming him to be our future FS. I read that he had a really good day on Tuesday practice, even made an INT and took it home. What a bummer.

TEXANS84
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
Good, I'm all for it. The more depth at runningback the better. Let em' battle it out in camp and may the best be with our squad.

I'd rather have 4 good backs, compared to the situation we faced in 2005/2005 seasons.

DiehardChris
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
We cut a safety (which I called in that other thread) because we had a glut of them.

Yeah, you and a few of the rest of us. This ain't rocket science.

ObsiWan
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Depth, Depth, Depth.

If we can sign them cheap, line them up and let the best players win.

The guy doesn't have to be the next Barry Sanders, just a solid football player that either wins some reps or pushes someone else to step it up.

Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown from a Mr. Rick Smith:
Get out of the tub and back on the field if you expect to make this team. We ain't waitin' on ya.

DBCooper
07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!
Get out of the tub and back on the field if you expect to make this team. We ain't waitin' on ya.

lol

PHAROAH
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
I like the Bell signing due to the fact he is familiar with the Zone Blocking scheme and looked really good before his shoulder injury. Bell will make a very good #3 running back and looks like my man Steve Slaton is moving up the Depth Chart. Ahman Green has to stay healthy or our running game will suffer.

PHAROAH
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
I was shocked when the texans signed him chris brown was a waste of space.

Thorn
07-31-2008, 04:10 PM
On the titans board, they were saying Chris Brown (when healthy) can generate a lot of yards. Well, when healthy, so can Green and Bell. To be honest Bell is just another cog in the machine here as are all our running backs, with the possible exception of Green if he stay's healthy.

I'm hoping Gibbs works his magic this year, and next year we present him some RB talent to work with from the draft. This year isn't getting any better than what we already got.

Unless, of course, we get a nice suprise from one of these guys. :texflag:

GP
07-31-2008, 04:11 PM
if Bell didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him. Priest Holmes wasn't drafted and bounced from the Ravens to the Chiefs until he became Priest Holmes - the best back in the league for a few years. Not comparing him to Holmes but you bring in players you think can add something and let r rip.

Vinnnnnnny....

I don't buy that line, not for a second. I like the optimism, though.

That same line could have been used to rationalize the Chris Brown signing, as well. In fact, we could look at all the journeyman RB signings...I think Kubiak averages about 2.5 per month, and say "If ___(insert name) didn't have potential they wouldn't have signed him." And the results are always the same: Dude gets signed, dude gets cut or traded.

I'd take Kevin Jones or Cedric Benson over Mike Bell any day.

But THEY aren't here. Nor does it seem they are even on the radar. Ill bet it has to do with $$$...which means we sign guys who will take low pay.

If you'll excuse me now, I have to go change our RB roster on my white dry erase board. :jogger:

GP
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
PFT's take on it:

Mike Bell was on his way to Denver just a few months after Gary Kubiak, who gained a reputation for being able to lead any running back to 1,000 yards, left to become the head coach of the Texans in 2006. In 2008, they’ll actually share an employer.

The Texans have signed the former undrafted free agent to a contract, the terms of which aren’t yet disclosed.

Bell’s a one-cut runner familiar with the zone-blocking scheme the Texans will run this year. He had a productive rookie season, rushing for eight touchdowns and 677 yards on 4.3 yards per carry. But in 2007 he became a victim of Mike Shanahan’s revolving door at tailback and managed only three yards on six carries. The Broncos released him after he couldn’t convert to fullback.

The signing is a response on the Texans’ part to Chris Brown’s back problems. The oft-injured Brown has missed four straight days of practice and isn’t expected back soon. Despite the presence of six backs on the Texans’ roster, there is a vacuum of power where carries can be had, but Bell will be competing with Brown (eventually), Ahman Green, Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor, and Darius Walker for them.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

That sentence I bolded really jumped out at me. Not so much the missed practices, rather the allusion to him being out for a while.

I wonder if Chris Taylor reads that sentence and a light bulb goes on inside his head?

That's pretty spooky, folks. Kubiak might be doing the same thing to Taylor that Shanahan did to Bell: Trying to convert a guy to FB because he's not scoring big on the tailback exams.

LOL. I bet fantasy football people are smokin' angry at us right now. There is no way to predict who's getting the carries. Bwah-ha-hah!

Señor Stan
07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Msg for Mr. Chris Brown!

My question is, how in the world do you miss the 1st day of camp for a wedding? When you get the invitation do you not respond and say...

aaaa...you realize I am a professional football player, right? I can't miss the 1st day of camp for your wedding. I will buy you a really cool toaster.

How close could these jokers be to him if they don't take his needing to be at camp on time into consideration?

The Pencil Neck
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

But THEY aren't here. Nor does it seem they are even on the radar. Ill bet it has to do with $$$...which means we sign guys who will take low pay.

If you'll excuse me now, I have to go change our RB roster on my white dry erase board. :jogger:

Cedric Benson isn't going to be on their radar because of the known behavior problems AND his lack of production AND because he's going to be asking for a lot of money. If he was as cheap as Mike Bell, he might have gotten a look-see.

And Kevin Jones is with the Bears now.

Right now, they're looking for cheap legs. Cedric Benson ain't cheap legs.

Goldensilence
07-31-2008, 04:23 PM
I wonder if Chris Taylor reads that sentence and a light bulb goes on inside his head?

That's pretty spooky, folks. Kubiak might be doing the same thing to Taylor that Shanahan did to Bell: Trying to convert a guy to FB because he's not scoring big on the tailback exams.

LOL. I bet fantasy football people are smokin' angry at us right now. There is no way to predict who's getting the carries. Bwah-ha-hah!

Screw the fantasy football people. I am sure as the Pre-season rolls on we'll get a more solid picture of who will be getting the bulk of the carries vs who is still healthy enough to go.

Far as Taylor goes gotta be able to be to help in blitz pickup and that has been something Kubiak has been banging since he arrived.I believe that has been a past issue with Taylor that and fumbles. Might also be indicative that Cook might not be in a good position either.

TEXANRED
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah, you and a few of the rest of us. This ain't rocket science.

What? Really? Well don't tell that to Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers.

Sal Rosenberg
07-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Cedric Benson ain't cheap legs.

Is he asking for a lot of money???MAN WHAT A WASTE!

El Tejano
07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Remember when we used to tolerate a player like Chris Brown? You know just sit and hope for the best? Not anymore, this organization is going to be a hard team to make from now on and either you produce or go home. Thanks to Bob, Gary and Rick for doing their job.

kravix
07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

Jones is PUP on the Bears roster. Why bring another RB into camp that cant take reps? Besides he has averaged 3.8 ypc the last 3 seasons. Even Ron Dayne did better than that last season.

Anyone who think Benson has or had a remote shot at this team really needs to step back and realize they are not looking at the entire picture. Players need to have ability, fit the scheme, and fit the personality of the franchise. We arent the Cowboys or Patriots. We dont take players with serious off the field issues and try to rahabilitate thier lack of self control, immaturity, or self respect. He couldnt use $40 of the millions the Bears handed him, which he didnt earn, to call a cab, he obviously has authority issues, and is most likely facing a suspension. A player like that on the Texans roster is a square peg that will never fit into a round hole.

Rex King
07-31-2008, 05:10 PM

I think it's more a matter of maximizing versatility. Mike Anderson had an incredible rookie season, but was converted to FB because of a glut at TB and the versatility he could bring to the offense as a runner and receiver at FB. I keep going back to this, but imagine a scenario with Slaton and Taylor in the backfield. I think it opens up the possibilities more than one with Slaton and Leach in there. I'm not banging on Leach.

I think PN has it right; if he weren't an ex-Bronco, I wouldn't think much more than camp fodder to fill in with Brown down. Bell knows the offense; Jones and Benson don't. He can slot in and take reps right away, besides being cheap. If he works out and is an upgrade over some of what we have, then great. If not, it hasn't cost them anything.

Bull Pen 1
07-31-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm sorry, what team is it you're a scout for, I missed it.

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm sorry, what team is it you're a scout for, I missed it.

I don't have to be a scout to have my opinion. Is that alright with you? That is what a message board is for. I don't have to scream hooray every time the Texans sign a new player. I'm entitled to my opinion of what they chose to do the way you are.

Bull Pen 1
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM

I never heard of either one of these guys you're talking about. At least I heard of Bell. So what are there ststs like.

TEXANRED
07-31-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't have to be a scout to have my opinion. Is that alright with you? That is what a message board is for. I don't have to scream hooray every time the Texans sign a new player. I'm entitled to my opinion of what they chose to do the way you are.

Second honeymoon?

Texecutioner
07-31-2008, 05:33 PM
I never heard of either one of these guys you're talking about. At least I heard of Bell. So what are there ststs like.

Go look them up if you want to know. What is so hard for some of you to understand if someone doesn't go ga ga over every move the Texans make? I already said that I will support the guy since he's a Texan now.

PapaL
07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Just like dating - she was someone elses first, Sheesh.

TEXANRED
07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
Just like dating - she was someone elses first, Sheesh.

You know I hear that Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.

Shaft75
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey everyone will you all just please trust in Rick Smith?

Silver Oak
07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Second honeymoon?

:goodpost:

barrett
07-31-2008, 06:28 PM
apparently the chron is saying it was brandon mitchell not brandon harrison that was released.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 06:33 PM
apparently the chron is saying it was brandon mitchell not brandon harrison that was released.

Knew it had to be a mistake.

Harrison has been impressing in camp so far, and has done alot more then Mitchell in TC.

One to watch

Brandon Harrison: free safety

Brandon Harrison had the best practice day of his brief Texans career on Monday.

Harrison (6-2, 227) was making plays all over the field, including an interception return for a touchdown.

“He’s smart, and he works hard,” said general manager Rick Smith, who selected Harrison in the fifth round out of Stanford in the 2007 draft. “You can tell he feels a lot more comfortable. He’s having a real good camp, and today was his best day here.”

Harrison spent last season on injured reserve after suffering a serious hamstring injury. Now he’s trying to make up for lost time at a position that’s going to force the coaches to make some difficult cuts.

The Texans are loaded with safeties, including Harrison, C.C. Brown, Will Demps, Glenn Earl, Nick Ferguson, Dominique Barber and Brandon Mitchell.

In the Texans’ defensive scheme, the safeties are interchangeable. Defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and assistant secondary coach Ray Rhodes want to get faster in the secondary.

Harrison has excellent size and good enough speed. He’s so intelligent he sometimes overanalyzes. The coaches want him to get comfortable enough to simply react to what he sees. If he can, he’s got a chance to earn playing time.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5912145.html

dalemurphy
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Definitely Mitchell. Mitchell is on houstontexans.com as well.

keyser
07-31-2008, 06:52 PM

Whew. I was getting really annoyed until reading that. It seemed way too early to give up on a 5th round pick from last year, especially since the things I read about him seemed pretty positive. Of course, if they had gotten rid of him, I should probably have assumed it was due to something bigger (e.g. off-field problems) we hadn't heard about.

I'm kind of sorry to see Brandon Mitchell go, also - I had high hopes for him, as far as UDFAs go. But, with as many players as we have competing at safety this year (including another draft pick this year), it makes sense to cut from that group.

DiehardChris
07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Unbelievable. There's no way that mistake should have been made - and it shouldn't have taken this long to fix. Wow.

brakos82
07-31-2008, 06:57 PM
You know I hear that Sarcasm helps keep you from telling people what you really think of them.

He's learning from me. :tiphat:

False Start
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
If Chris Brown is gonna keep getting hurt the bringing in Bell is a good thing . You never know .

dalemurphy
07-31-2008, 07:12 PM
Mike Bell as a 4th, 5th, or 6th option at HB? How on earth could anyone have a problem with that? Some fans have to complain about something, I guess.

GP
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Cedric Benson isn't going to be on their radar because of the known behavior problems AND his lack of production AND because he's going to be asking for a lot of money. If he was as cheap as Mike Bell, he might have gotten a look-see.

And Kevin Jones is with the Bears now.

Right now, they're looking for cheap legs. Cedric Benson ain't cheap legs.

I didn't clarify enough. My bad. I knew he's on a roster now, so I was making that comment as in "Why didn't we go after Jones?"

Why were we not at his workout? Apparently there were 4 teams there.

I guess it was a $ thing. For both those guys.

GP
07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Mike Bell as a 4th, 5th, or 6th option at HB? How on earth could anyone have a problem with that? Some fans have to complain about something, I guess.

It's just getting funny, that's all.

Some people subscribe to netflix and exchange unlimited movies at their leisure. The Texans do the same thing with RBs.

It's beginning to be a running joke (buh-duh-bump! Hey, that's two jokes in one). Yay for me!

DBCooper
07-31-2008, 08:40 PM
If Chris Brown is gonna keep getting hurt the bringing in Bell is a good thing . You never know .

I love your avatar!

Polo
07-31-2008, 08:57 PM

QFT.

mariowillshine15
07-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Why did they sign him to a 2 yr deal? saw it on espn.

J-Russ
07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Why did they sign him to a 2 yr deal? saw it on espn.

Probably cause they're expecting more from him then you are.

TEXANRED
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM
He's learning from me. :tiphat:

Wait. Aren't you the same person?:mail:

painekiller
08-01-2008, 12:48 AM
We cut Harrison? I thought we were grooming him to be our future FS. I read that he had a really good day on Tuesday practice, even made an INT and took it home. What a bummer.

Seems that chron.com had it wrong, it was Mitchell. The UDFA from last year that was on the PC.

Allstar
08-01-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't think Chris Brown has anything to worry about. If you're hurt, you're hurt. this is training camp he's missing, not games. Kubiak said he knows Chris can contribute to this team, he just needs to be healthy. I'd hate myself if I cut Brown because he missed some time in training camp and he goes on to rush for 1000 yards for the Titans or something.

Texacutioner, please lay off the bold letters. It makes it seem like you are yelling and ranting, which is obnoxious. Mike Bell was available, unlike the backs you mentioned. He is simply coming to compete for a spot on the team. If he does, that's great. If he doesn't, oh well.

Priest Holmes was bounced around the league much like Bell was, that's the comparison. "OMG don't compare them!" Well why not? They both went through getting bounced around and look how Priest turned out. I bet someone said the same thing you're saying about Priest when he joined the Chiefs.

beerlover
08-01-2008, 06:34 AM
simply stated Bell is a system RB that fits here, not to mention Gibbs needs bodies to burn reps with :dangit:

he was able to elevate his game to the next level (Arizona to the NFL/Broncos) still young without much wear & tear but I feel he is another underachiver who shys away from contact & hard work ala Chris Brown, although I welcome him to prove me wrong & make this team. low cost med reward signing :read:

Dancerdog
08-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I haven't seen the terms of Bell's contract disclosed as of yet. I imagine we got him on the cheap. I say give the guy a shot. Maybe being cut this time has gotten his attention and he'll come in and work his tail off. TC has a way of sorting these things out. Kubes & Co. will keep the best talent when all is said and done. C. Brown needs to get and stay healthy. I believe he can be productive if he does.

Giant Tiger
08-01-2008, 11:44 AM

I like the signing of Mike Bell. He's still young, & has a lot left. I think he just had a bad year. I don't agree with going after Kenton Keith. IMO if a team is looking for a player who may be less known, but will pleasantly surprise; they should be scouting the CFL (or AFL) now. Didn't the Colts get Keith last year? Wouldn't the Texans scouts have seen him, too? I don't know if he'll be released with his arrest & all, but going after him sends me 2 messages:

1- The Colts scouts beat the Texans scouts to the punch

2- Now we would want a guy they don't want anymore

I'll stick with Mike Bell.
Just my :twocents:

hadaad
08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
From what I remember of Keith when he was up here in Canada, he wasn't exactly a high-character guy, either.

Kevin Jones is already injured. We don't need that either.

EDIT! Forgot to mention:

Welcome to the Texans, Mike Bell. Good luck to you!