PDA

View Full Version : Molden Creating a Buzz in Houston...

Texans_Chick
07-27-2008, 03:38 PM
ESPN Blog Link (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/0-2-95/Rookie-CB-Molden-creating-a-buzz-in-Houston.html)

A lot of rookies come in and think that they know it all," said veteran cornerback Dunta Robinson, who's still recovering from a knee and hamstring injury. "He's one of the rookies that's willing to learn and he's listening and asking questions. So you appreciate that as a veteran and you see something special in guys like that.

"Then you translate it onto the field and his athleticism, it's crazy. He's probably one of the best athletes we've got out here. He can run, can jump, he's a good cover guy. Now it's just about learning how to play this game, and he's willing to learn. As time passes, I think he can turn out to be a great corner in this league."

He's earned compliments from the team's best receiver, too.

"I think he's doing very well right now, I think he has a lot of talent," Andre Johnson said.

He has a nice size for being a DB in our conference--rangey long arms. Hope they can teach him up quick.

Tailgate
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
From the AFC South blog section of ESPN.com. Kinda what we already have been hearing... still gets you pumped up thinking about the potential secondary containing Molden, D-Rob (when healthy), and Mr. Fred Bennett!

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

"A lot of rookies come in and think that they know it all," said veteran cornerback Dunta Robinson, who's still recovering from a knee and hamstring injury. "He's one of the rookies that's willing to learn and he's listening and asking questions. So you appreciate that as a veteran and you see something special in guys like that.

"Then you translate it onto the field and his athleticism, it's crazy. He's probably one of the best athletes we've got out here. He can run, can jump, he's a good cover guy. Now it's just about learning how to play this game, and he's willing to learn. As time passes, I think he can turn out to be a great corner in this league."

gary
07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been reading nothing but great things about him so far.

TexanSam
07-27-2008, 03:57 PM
I hope Molden is as good as Bennett was last year. With Dunta Robinson likely missing a significant part of the season, it would be awesome of Molden can step up as a rookie and do well.

gary
07-27-2008, 04:02 PM
He must keep on asking those questions and learning AMAP.

Andrew6
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
I've never seen D Rob ever pull a punch when talking about a fellow player. I remember when he basically said D. Carr needed to be out of here and was hindering the team etc. . . (i.e. cold pizza) that shocked me that he would say that about a fellow teammate whether it was true or not when most would not. So it comes down to he will call it how he sees it rather than just pasify someone on what they want to hear. Molden could end up being great. 13 or 14 more days till preseason ohhhh riiiiigggght

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2008, 04:10 PM
He must keep on asking those questions and learning AMAP.

You mean ASAP?

I hope Molden is as good as Bennett was last year. With Dunta Robinson likely missing a significant part of the season, it would be awesome of Molden can step up as a rookie and do well.

And when Dunta is healthy!

:d:

gary
07-27-2008, 04:20 PM
You mean ASAP?As much as P.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
As much as P.

Huh?

gary
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Possible.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Huh?

He meant "As much as possible." AMAP.

I've never actually seen that before but I knew what he meant.

gary
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks.

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2008, 05:42 PM
If Molden ends up making up a very nice impact like Bennet did last year, Rick Smith needs another freaking extension already. It's hard to deny in the little time that Kubiak and Smith have been on board how well they work together. Rick finds the right type of guys, not just smart and good character, that fits what Kubiak wants to do, it really gives us a very strong indicator how they are building this thing through the draft and for the long haul. Just look at the quality picks the last couple of years, and if this year's draft class shines like those have, we are in for some happy times.

:texflag:

gary
07-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Exstend Smith's contract.

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2008, 05:57 PM

It was just extended for 4 years during OTA's, I was kidding around......kinda :cool:

gary
07-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I say exstend it again.

Thorn
07-27-2008, 06:04 PM
I say exstend it again.

LOL. We seem to have fallen on good management with our pro football team. What a change from times past, and a very pleasant one at that. :texflag:

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I miss Dom Capers and his gloriousness.

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Good thing we can detect your sarcasm without the smilie.....LOL.

Thorn
07-27-2008, 06:07 PM

Maybe the Titans will hire him. :splits:

Wolf
07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Molden got a little work on first team and Andre made him look pretty bad on one play late in practice. Molden lined up in press and at the snap Andre gave Molden a right hand punch to the chest sending Molden flying backward about 5 yards. AJ did a quick look in and Schaub delivered a strike. Yes, it wasn't fair. I'm very excited about Molden. He's raw but you can tell he has tons of ability. After one particularly bad play, Hoke yelled him off the field but then Rhodes came over and had a nice calming 'good cop' face to face counseling session with him on the sideline. There's the benefit of having a guy like Rhodes around.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=960129&postcount=105

I am ok as long as he is still learning

Tailgate
07-27-2008, 06:09 PM
LOL. We seem to have fallen on good management with our pro football team. What a change from times past, and a very pleasant one at that. :texflag:

The best news is that we haven't really even begun to enjoy what they are building for us...

07-27-2008, 06:11 PM
molden ftw

gary
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
We will enjoy it this season.

Tailgate
07-27-2008, 06:24 PM
More on Molden.... McClain had this to say in his recent blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/observations_after_five_practi_1.html

Now, here are some observations after watching the first five practices of training camp: Every day, I'm more impressed with rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden. He's got the size, speed and work ethic the coaches love. He has confidence. He doesn't get down on himself. Like Fred Bennett in last year's camp, he makes at least one big play every day.

I've had three former players I trust tell me they think he's special. They've watched Molden in practice. They've watched him on the sideline interacting with his teammates. They're very impressed.

I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that I believe sometime early in the season Molden will be in the starting lineup. It could be because of an injury, or it could be because he's just played himself into a starting job, but based on what he did in the offseason and what he's done early in camp, he's got a chance to be very, very good.

gary
07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
I saw this in another thread it sounds great.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Good thing we can detect your sacarsm without the smilie.....LOL.

:)

Let's hope. :specnatz:

gary
07-27-2008, 07:00 PM
:)

Let's hope. :specnatz:NE hired him.

Hook'er
07-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I can't wait till the first preseason game!:texflag:

HJam72
07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
It really bugs me that nobody can cover AJ. Wait....no it doesn't.

RTP2110
07-27-2008, 08:27 PM

http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg
EXECUTE!!!!

False Start
07-27-2008, 08:39 PM
You know how every season theres that one guy on a team that plays beyond expectations ? I'm hoping maybe Molden can be that guy on our team this season .

Bull Pen 1
07-27-2008, 08:43 PM

The Titans are too late, Dom Capers is on the Patriots coaching staff.

HJam72
07-27-2008, 08:57 PM
The Titans are too late, Dom Capers is on the Patriots coaching staff.

So much for that dynasty. Wish it was the Colts.

mexican_texan
07-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Nothing new, I've been hyping him since the draft. I probably think so after all of Kubiak's drafts, but this one may be the best one if you take in consideration all of the picks.

Texans_Chick
07-27-2008, 11:20 PM
http://z.about.com/d/houston/1/0/o/-/-/-/doncapers.jpg
EXECUTE!!!!

Okay, this picture and caption made me laugh out loud. In the way that painful times in your life become really funny when enough time elapses.

Carr Bombed
07-27-2008, 11:53 PM
Here's the bigger question....

Let's say Fred Bennett comes out guns blazing and proves that his excellent play last season was not a fluke and he's the real deal.

and

Let's say Antwaun Molden wins the starting spot on the other side after the first couple of weeks during next season and shows the same promise that Fred Bennett did in his rookie season....

What would be Dunta Robinson's future outlook with the Houston Texans?

Andrew6
07-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Here's the bigger question....

Let's say Fred Bennett comes out guns blazing and proves that his excellent play last season was not a fluke and he's the real deal.

and

Let's say Antwaun Molden wins the starting spot on the other side after the first couple of weeks during next season and shows the same promise that Fred Bennett did in his rookie season....

What would be Dunta Robinson's future outlook with the Houston Texans?

I guess it depends, if he hasn't lost a step after his injury then its a battle between bennett and Molden for starting position. If DRob lost a step then he'll probably be put at safety. Either way sounds like a really good problem to have.

HJam72
07-28-2008, 01:57 AM
I guess it depends, if he hasn't lost a step after his injury then its a battle between bennett and Molden for starting position. If DRob lost a step then he'll probably be put at safety. Either way sounds like a really good problem to have.

I'm just gonna sit back and watch this one. :gun:

Allstar
07-28-2008, 02:14 AM

Not a chance Dunta goes to safety. He and the coaching staff have even addressed the issue and said he would never become a safety.

barrett
07-28-2008, 02:54 AM

no, seriously, i'm with you dude. extend it again. "four more years!... four more years!..."

i read Molden's rookie diary, he seems fairly well spoken too.

Carr Bombed
07-28-2008, 03:02 AM
Not a chance Dunta goes to safety. He and the coaching staff have even addressed the issue and said he would never become a safety.

So then basically Dunta wouldn't be a Houston Texan anymore?

Dunta is one of my favorite players, but if Molden wins a starting job opposite Bennett (who also proves he's the real deal) and Molden proves himself this season, I don't see Dunta grabbing his job back unless he's willing to move to FS.

HJam72
07-28-2008, 04:46 AM
So then basically Dunta wouldn't be a Houston Texan anymore?

Dunta is one of my favorite players, but if Molden wins a starting job opposite Bennett (who also proves he's the real deal) and Molden proves himself this season, I don't see Dunta grabbing his job back unless he's willing to move to FS.

In a perfect world, Dunta than becomes our very well paid slot-corner. In a world where McNair has to put up with a salary cap and all that fairness crap, he probably gets traded....by Rick Smith....for LT or somebody like that. You know Rick Smith.

Doesn't it suck that we didn't have the salary cap with Bud Adams, but now we do with McNair? :gun:

PapaL
07-28-2008, 06:14 AM
You need three high quality CBs in this league. If DRob makes a healthy return and Bennet and Molden are lighting things up then we can ease DRob back. It's not a problem at all.

Hardcore Texan
07-28-2008, 07:19 AM
You need three high quality CBs in this league. If DRob makes a healthy return and Bennet and Molden are lighting things up then we can ease DRob back. It's not a problem at all.

Exactly, we would have one of the best nickel and dime defenses in the league. 3 really good CB's is not too many to have, especially when you play the Colts twice a year.

gary
07-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Correct.

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2008, 08:56 AM

My thoughts exactly. If Bennett and Molden are better than Dunta... then why would you even consider starting Dunta over them? I don't see him going to free safety but see him as a CB on the team still. I think it would be up to Reeves and Dunta as to who would be the next man. They would need to extend Dunta's salary anyways, but Bennett and Molden would be looking for a pay raise in a couple years if they are outperforming everybody. It could end up being an expensive secondary.

PapaL
07-28-2008, 09:05 AM
My thoughts exactly. If Bennett and Molden are better than Dunta... then why would you even consider starting Dunta over them? I don't see him going to free safety but see him as a CB on the team still. I think it would be up to Reeves and Dunta as to who would be the next man. They would need to extend Dunta's salary anyways, but Bennett and Molden would be looking for a pay raise in a couple years if they are outperforming everybody. It could end up being an expensive secondary.

I think in the case of contracts being renewed, especially at expensive positions where you need more than on high paid start, we would have to do like the Eagles do and draft a good prospects a year or two out.

gary
07-28-2008, 09:06 AM
I hope Drob is the third man.

HOU-TEX
07-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Okay, this picture and caption made me laugh out loud. In the way that painful times in your life become really funny when enough time elapses.

Kinda like getting shot in the ass with a BB while walking? LmAO! I can't help but to think of that story every time I turn on to a particular street while on my evening walk. I'll be darned if it doesn't bring a smile to my goofy mug.

Sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

TexanSam
07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
If Dunta comes back, if Molden meets his expectations, and if Bennett continues to improve we'll have a damn good DB trio. Then after a few years we'll have to release or trade someone because one of them will want a bigger contract.

SheTexan
07-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Exactly, we would have one of the best nickel and dime defenses in the league. 3 really good CB's is not too many to have, especially when you play the Colts twice a year.

and that's something we haven't had for six years.!! Things are coming together!

Brando
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM

Believe it or not, he is the Patriots DB coach.

gary
07-28-2008, 03:45 PM
and that's something we haven't had for six years.!! Things are coming together!:d: :d: :d:

76Texan
07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
You know, I think it's good to have DBs that you bring in and out during the course of the game.
More guesswork for the Offense, makes it harder to try to exploit a certain aspect of the defense with a fix pair of CBs in there.

And yes, a winning team can make use of 3 good DBs.

gary
07-28-2008, 04:54 PM
We will have three great DB once DRob gets back.

TEXANS84
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Molden went step for step with Andre today, impressing once again:

Later in a team period, what I thought was Schaub's deepest throw of the day didn't make it to Andre Johnson as rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden stayed with him up the left side and broke it up.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth

gary
07-28-2008, 05:18 PM
Lets hope he does this when the season is here.

aj.
07-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I don't have him going to the Pro Bowl quite yet. I think I'll wait to see him play a game first.

76Texan
07-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Like I said, he looked good in the Texas vs. the Nation bowl game.
But that was against not so fast but big receivers (4.5 plus speed, 6'2-6'5). That's a plus right there, at any rate.

I know he was a track and field guy. But perhaps there's also a second wind to add.

How he scoped with the news of his girlfriend's cancer, you can't help but pull for him.
There was another article that I've read (a bit after draft day), but at the moment I find this one:

http://savannahnow.com/node/482391

I'd rather for him to prove it first on the field.
And it looks like he's halfway there.
I hope the second wind takes him to his destination!

gary
07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
We all are pulling for him.

rickyb
07-28-2008, 11:10 PM

I said it before a few months back on another thread -- Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are 2 of the best picks in the history of this franchise.

I am simply very, very excited to have these guys at the helm.

RTP2110
07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Molden all over AJ

http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/07/29/12226240/600xPopupGallery.jpg

threetoedpete
07-30-2008, 08:48 AM
In a perfect world, Dunta than becomes our very well paid slot-corner. In a world where McNair has to put up with a salary cap and all that fairness crap, he probably gets traded....by Rick Smith....for LT or somebody like that. You know Rick Smith.

Doesn't it suck that we didn't have the salary cap with Bud Adams, but now we do with McNair? :gun:

Robinson's strength is holding the corner on running plays. see 5:34 of the fourth quarter of the 12/1 titan's game...that's Von Hutchins...there was a marked difference when Robinson was on the corner and when whoever else was out there. How he does that covering the slot I don't know. Fletcher is the slot guy. And he does what he does pretty well when we go to a nickel. What I do agree on: they are in a bad spot with Robinson. Gotta feel for him. Noggie gets the franchise tag with the raiders and has to be satisfied with 9.8 million. Robinson does all the things correctly and is injured at the crucial time in terms of his contract. Would you pay a back up CB top seven money ? You tell me .

Ole Miss Texan
07-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Robinson's strength is holding the corner on running plays. see 5:34 of the fourth quarter of the 12/1 titan's game...that's Von Hutchins...there was a marked difference when Robinson was on the corner and when whoever else was out there. How he does that covering the slot I don't know. Fletcher is the slot guy. And he does what he does pretty well when we go to a nickel. What I do agree on: they are in a bad spot with Robinson. Gotta feel for him. Noggie gets the franchise tag with the raiders and has to be satisfied with 9.8 million. Robinson does all the things correctly and is injured at the crucial time in terms of his contract. Would you pay a back up CB top seven money ? You tell me .

As much as I like Dunta, I couldn't pay him that much if he wasn't starting. The only reason I would consider it is if we were running 3 CB's out there more consistently. However, If he's good enough to be our #1 or #2 CB when he becomes healthy, then you pay him and start him.

76Texan
07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Whoever go to the next TC, can you also watch for #29 Derrick Roberson?
That guy can really fly and jump.
I'd like to see how he does in coverage. Thanks!

RTP2110
07-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Molden had a great day of practice today. He was all over the place. He had a few pass defelctions. One was a diving deflection that was picked off by Colvin in the end. The few completions that were in his direction were all close. They made the catch, but he was right there. I didn't see him get burned or look lost at all.

I was most impressed with his work ethic and willingness to learn. Everytime he came off the field, he went straight to Dunta for advice. Dunta was helping him with hand positioning and footwork. While all of the other DB's were kneeling down, Molden was still crouching down and back pedaling on the sidelines. This kid looks like can be really good. He definitely has the athletic skills, and he seems to have his head in the right place too.

http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k470/RTMFNP/DSC01732.jpg

Hook'er
08-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Can't wait to see Molden in preseason.:texflag: