PDA

View Full Version : The Unit (O-Line)

pittbull3
07-25-2008, 11:01 PM
How did "The Unit" look?
I nickname the this, because their main job is to protect and serve! Protect Schaub and serve straight up Texas-sized butt kickin's in the run game! So if anyone was able t o get a glimpse through the fence, let us know!

whiskeyrbl
07-26-2008, 04:55 AM
I'm sure you will hear quite a bit this afternoon from those of us that are going to the practice this morning.

beerlover
07-26-2008, 05:37 AM
I'm so stoked the Texans are gonna have a decent OL for the first time. Meyers is the focal point, its imperrative he stays injury free, very quick, doesn't stop battling & already knows the system inside out. Winston could very well become an All-Pro RT. Pitts should adjust very well to the new scheme (LG's are very valueable to pocket protection & running lanes). Good competition for the other guard spot, sounds like Weary has really worked hard to come back this offseason (he was a free agent if I remember & signed a one year deal, so he could be a real pleasent surprise. Rick might have to figure a way to lock him up before he hits the open market healthy again).

Last but not least what can Brown do for you? Lets don't put too much pressure on the young man, be patient & let Gibbs develop him. Just so damned pleased the Texans thought that highly of him to use a first round pick that says all that needs to be said on the subject. Duane is gonna be a real asset to this franchise, five years for now but I expect a big contract upgrade after three because he'g got three important attributes for a ZBS LT: Athletic ability/footwork, attitude/meanstreak & intelligence to change/adjust to schemes.

Good luck guys we'll all be watching & paying close attention to your progress :photos:

pittbull3
07-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Well. I went to the practice this afternoon and you can tell the line looks even better this year. Much more push in the trenches. Pitts looked good. Brown looked like a rookie in his second day of practices. Winston continues to be a stud, and I was even excited about the play of Brandon Frye. Picked him in the 5th round last season, and the guy can play both Guard and Tackle. You can also see the tempo and passion of those guys through Alex Gibbs. His running around, yelling, screaming, and getting these guys to accomplish their assignments. Overall, the protection for the QB's was great. But, the question in trainning camp is always this......Is it the O-line playing well, or the D-line not?

nunusguy
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
You can also see the tempo and passion of those guys through Alex Gibbs. His running around, yelling, screaming, and getting these guys to accomplish their assignments.

Good deal ! That just reinforces my impression of him being a wild & crazy guy blindly dedicated, devoted, & even immersed in his job of coaching NFL OLinemen. A real fanatic in other words.

painekiller
07-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Gibbs is a beast, he would not let the players slow down during running blocking drills. 123-123-123-123, just about that quick.

Pitts looks the best he ever has. Maybe looking to make the next step.

Myers is the real deal, great technique. Surprising strong in one on one drills.

Brissel looked solid, appears to be ahead of Weary, who was getting a lot of gruff from Gibbs.

Winston is solid.

Brown appear to be stronger against the speed guys and not so ready for the power move just yet. He was getting frustrated, and showing a lot of fire. Nading was eating him up, where he had some very good reps with Mario (he also had some very bad reps with Mario, but that is because Mario is a beast). He was taken in early from practice after the trainers had tried to stretch out his legs, might be cramps.

I will be looking for Salaam to be the opening day starter.

White is ahead of Eslinger who is not very far behind. Studdard looked over matched and slow.

Frye work out at tackle and I did not see much from him because of multiple player groups.

Butler had some good reps.

Didn't have a roster and missed some of the other guys.

BSofA04
07-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Gibbs is a beast, he would not let the players slow down during running blocking drills. 123-123-123-123, just about that quick.

Myers is the real deal, great technique. Surprising strong in one on one drills.

Brissel looked solid, appears to be ahead of Weary, who was getting a lot of gruff from Gibbs.

Winston is solid.

Brown appear to be stronger against the speed guys and not so ready for the power move just yet. He was getting frustrated, and showing a lot of fire. Nading was eating him up, where he had some very good reps with Mario (he also had some very bad reps with Mario, but that is because Mario is a beast). He was taken in early from practice after the trainers had tried to stretch out his legs, might be cramps.

White is ahead of Eslinger who is not very far behind. Studdard looked over matched and slow.

Frye work out at tackle and I did not see much from him because of multiple player groups.

Thanks for your analysis. It's always good to have "one of us" out there for a firsthand look.

So can you see the potential in Brown? Is he noticably faster with his foot speed than other tackles?

Vinny
07-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Winston is solid.

great meeting you today after all these years.

nunusguy
07-26-2008, 01:49 PM

Winston is solid.

Great stuff PK ! Appreciate it. Keep it coming if you would please.

pittbull3
07-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Thanks for your analysis. It's always good to have "one of us" out their for a firsthand look.

So can you see the potential in Brown? Is he noticably faster with his foot speed than other tackles?

I wouldnt say Brown is noticably faster with his footwork. But he does have great feet. The best thing for Brown is bringing in Gibbs and learning from a legend. Not only that, he won't allow him to fall into bad habits, creating a solid foundation for the his career. He's going to be frustrated early, and that is just part of the growing process, but he'll come along. He doesn't have to be Ogden or Walter Jones, but become a consistent, good left tackle that takes pride in protecting Schaub's blind side!

eriadoc
07-26-2008, 11:49 PM
Well. I went to the practice this afternoon and you can tell the line looks even better this year. Much more push in the trenches. Pitts looked good. Brown looked like a rookie in his second day of practices. Winston continues to be a stud, and I was even excited about the play of Brandon Frye. Picked him in the 5th round last season, and the guy can play both Guard and Tackle. You can also see the tempo and passion of those guys through Alex Gibbs. His running around, yelling, screaming, and getting these guys to accomplish their assignments. Overall, the protection for the QB's was great. But, the question in trainning camp is always this......Is it the O-line playing well, or the D-line not?

For the first time, I feel confident that the D-Line will hold up their end of the bargain, and the two units will feed off each other and push each other during practice. Any O-lineman that has to go up against Mario will learn a thing or two about themselves, that's for sure.

painekiller
07-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks for your analysis. It's always good to have "one of us" out there for a firsthand look.

Brown appeared to handle the speed rush, it was the bull rush and undercut rush that hurt him. Those are corrected with coaching, reps and recognition skills. He seems to have it, not sure he starts day one, but he has the tools, IMO.

BTW I like him at he Shrine Game, thought he would be our OT of the future, I just predicted the draft position much later. So I liked the kid predraft.

painekiller
07-27-2008, 12:13 AM
great meeting you today after all these years.

Ditto, I hope to see you some more this week.

beerlover
07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
For the first time, I feel confident that the D-Line will hold up their end of the bargain, and the two units will feed off each other and push each other during practice. Any O-lineman that has to go up against Mario will learn a thing or two about themselves, that's for sure.

agree with that. Mario is going to help Brown become a better LT than anyone who needed a LT in the 08 NFL Draft ever imagined. add Gibbs to the mix there's no telling he could become the coup of the group which is saying something. I'm just glad he's signed, in camp & taking the abuse he needs to get better sooner rather than later :kingkong:

BSofA04
07-27-2008, 04:13 AM
Brown appeared to handle the speed rush, it was the bull rush and undercut rush that hurt him. Those are corrected with coaching, reps and recognition skills. He seems to have it, not sure he starts day one, but he has the tools, IMO.

BTW I like him at he Shrine Game, thought he would be our OT of the future, I just predicted the draft position much later. So I liked the kid predraft.

Thanks you and pitt bull3 for your analysis. Can't wait until Duane Brown is in action come Sunday!!!!!

55Olinesdad
07-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm so stoked the Texans are gonna have a decent OL for the first time. Meyers is the focal point, its imperrative he stays injury free, very quick, doesn't stop battling & already knows the system inside out. Winston could very well become an All-Pro RT. Pitts should adjust very well to the new scheme (LG's are very valueable to pocket protection & running lanes). Good competition for the other guard spot, sounds like Weary has really worked hard to come back this offseason (he was a free agent if I remember & signed a one year deal, so he could be a real pleasent surprise. Rick might have to figure a way to lock him up before he hits the open market healthy again).

Last but not least what can Brown do for you? Lets don't put too much pressure on the young man, be patient & let Gibbs develop him. Just so damned pleased the Texans thought that highly of him to use a first round pick that says all that needs to be said on the subject. Duane is gonna be a real asset to this franchise, five years for now but I expect a big contract upgrade after three because he'g got three important attributes for a ZBS LT: Athletic ability/footwork, attitude/meanstreak & intelligence to change/adjust to schemes.

Good luck guys we'll all be watching & paying close attention to your progress :photos:

Just a note............Meyers is incorrectly spelled. Its Myers. Smiles and GO TEXANS.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Just a note............Meyers is incorrectly spelled. Its Myers. Smiles and GO TEXANS.

Welcome back!

55Olinesdad
07-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Welcome back!

Thanks Pencil Neck, Its been a crazy Summer but I should be able to get back on here more often now. I am pumped to get to some of the games.

pittbull3
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks you and pitt bull3 for your analysis. Can't wait until Duane Brown is in action come Sunday!!!!!

No problem....Anytime.

Eight Gov
07-29-2008, 04:30 AM
I can't wait until our o-line dominates and surprises the national media. Playoffs here we come

Seņor Stan
07-29-2008, 03:55 PM

How would you know? Oh yeah...:)

HJam72
07-29-2008, 04:12 PM

If he's as good as it sounds, we'll all know his name soon enough.

I remember when I spelled them "Donta" and "Walters".

Runner
07-29-2008, 06:23 PM
But, the question in trainning camp is always this......Is it the O-line playing well, or the D-line not?

Sometimes it is the individual players that make it hard to tell from the fans' view. For instance, when Antwaan Peek was here would look great in camp and not as dominant in the season. He was a guy that went 100% in the TC drills. The problem is, he'd be going against o-lineman that were going 85% working on footwork and technique (as they were instructed to do). Peek's speed rush looked fantastic going against guys running 85%, but he didn't slow down to learn new techniques like he should have been doing. This made him something of a one-dimensional rusher and training camp star.

Camp and pre-season are fun to watch, but caveat emptor.