PDA

View Full Version : the injury list

barrett
07-25-2008, 09:26 PM
brisel may have broken his nose friday afternoon. we'll find out if he misses any time tomorrow.

“I know he got a cut under his eye, but Mike wasn’t that good looking the first time around,” Kubiak joked. “He will be alright.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4422

it's all in good fun until somebody looses some reps.

the "broken nose" comment is from Meg Manfull at Chron.com

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/07/texans_players_show_off_as_cam.html

whiskeyrbl
07-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Let's hope that is as bad as it gets.

gary
07-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Ditto.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2008, 09:46 PM
i am hoping we can get out of TC relatively injury-free. it looks like Kubes and Co. are trying their best to make that happen.

Vinny
07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/07/25/12183450/600xPopupGallery.jpg
I shoulda hadda v-8

Carr Bombed
07-25-2008, 09:55 PM
brisel may have broken his nose friday afternoon. we'll find out if he misses any time tomorrow.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4422

it's all in good fun until somebody looses some reps.

the "broken nose" comment is from Meg Manfull at Chron.com

http://blogs.chron.com/gamedaytexans/2008/07/texans_players_show_off_as_cam.html

If Brisel misses reps over a broken nose somebody needs to pull his man card. A broken nose is nothing. Just slap a Rip Hamilton mask on him and send him back out there.

P.S.

I agree with Kubiak, it's probably a improvement to his face.

pittbull3
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
It's been 2 years since my last post on the boards, so the one and only PittBull makes his return. In my return, I make this my first comment. BE POSITIVE! The best thing we can do is pray for the health of every player, from 1 to 80. This game is about health and becoming a unit. If we can do that, we can expect a big year. I personally prayed with a prayer before camp, and I expect him to do big things this year. You mark my words, if were on one accord off the field, they will be on one accord on it!:kingkong:

Maddict5
07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
a few guys tore acl's, achilles etc in other camps on the first day.. il take a cut/broken nose without getting into a tizzy

edo783
07-25-2008, 10:50 PM
While getting wacked in the nose smarts like all get out, it is really nothing other than a boo-boo, he will be fine. In the words of Ray Nitzki "Blood makes the grass grow". Looks like they may need to make a pass or two with the mower.

b0ng
07-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Heard this earlier today but if this is as bad as it gets then I'm okay with it. Brisiel knows that if he puts up a good training camp he could be in the running for Weary's starters spot. I don't think a player like him would let a busted nose hold him back when he's this close to getting a starters role.

Line_Producer
07-26-2008, 03:31 AM
It's been 2 years since my last post on the boards, so the one and only PittBull makes his return. In my return, I make this my first comment. BE POSITIVE! The best thing we can do is pray for the health of every player, from 1 to 80. This game is about health and becoming a unit. If we can do that, we can expect a big year. I personally prayed with a prayer before camp, and I expect him to do big things this year. You mark my words, if were on one accord off the field, they will be on one accord on it!:kingkong:

That is my kind of 2 year post. I love the enthusiasm. Lots of prayer. Lock it up!

rmartin65
07-26-2008, 07:53 AM
A broken nose is nothing. I hope no one gets seriously injured during training camp.

alphajoker
07-26-2008, 09:17 AM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/07/25/12183450/600xPopupGallery.jpg
I shoulda hadda v-8

In my best english accent, "It's just a flesh wound". :) I hope this is as bad as it gets.

Sideline
07-26-2008, 10:15 AM
In my best english accent, "It's just a flesh wound". :) I hope this is as bad as it gets.

"It's just a flesh wound"

There you go, done in a real English accent. lol.

pittbull3
07-26-2008, 10:53 AM
That is my kind of 2 year post. I love the enthusiasm. Lots of prayer. Lock it up!

It's the only thing that is going to keep the players healthy!:kingkong:

Silver Oak
07-26-2008, 11:43 AM
they ran the video of the play on KPRC, and he barely even broke stride with his nose getting busted. Weaver said sorry or something like that, and Briesel just said it's cool, I'm ok.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Brisiel was out there today running with the one's. He's ok. :texflag:

False Start
07-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Wow, the title of this thread had me thinking the worse . Its just a broken nose ............ :cool:

Marcus
07-26-2008, 12:39 PM
This thread is a jinx.

Y'all just basically guaranteed a couple of blown out knees, a separated shoulder, and 3 or 4 severely pulled hamstrings and groins.

Our first round left tackle will probably break his leg the first preseason game.

alphajoker
07-26-2008, 12:56 PM
This thread is a jinx.

Y'all just basically guaranteed a couple of blown out knees, a separated shoulder, and 3 or 4 severely pulled hamstrings and groins.

Our first round left tackle will probably break his leg the first preseason game.

No, why would you post this?! :pirate: We will make it through TC, preseason and the regular season without any significant injuries. There now...jinx, unjinxed.

barrett
07-26-2008, 01:25 PM
that picture is awesome! i think i've seen everything that the chron and ht.com had. where else are there pics like this?

edit:

bullpen photos just posted!

pittbull3
07-26-2008, 02:35 PM
This thread is a jinx.

A jink or luck only comes to people that believe in such things....As for me, the Texans will be completely 100% healthy.....ALL SEASON LONG. Speak it, Believe it, and watch it come to be manifested.....:pirate:

Marcus
07-26-2008, 03:20 PM
No, why would you post this?! :pirate: We will make it through TC, preseason and the regular season without any significant injuries. There now...jinx, unjinxed.

Some pretty potent kool-aid in the month of July, I see. lol:

They are gonna happen though, jinx or no jinx.

It's going to be funny to read all the "Why God why?"s from here on out.

alphajoker
07-26-2008, 03:43 PM

Yeah, I know...that's a part of the game but for once, it would be nice having our team at full strength for the season.

And yes, the kool-aid is strong!! :shots: :)

ChampionTexan
07-26-2008, 04:11 PM

Hopefully, you won't be getting any significant laughs at the expense of hurt players, or passionate posters.

buddyboy
07-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I heard that Chris Taylor got banged up today... My dad went to the training camp and said he had to be helped off the field.

Hope he's just goin senile...

aj.
07-26-2008, 06:10 PM
I heard that Chris Taylor got banged up today... My dad went to the training camp and said he had to be helped off the field.

No bang up. Just leg cramps.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 06:53 PM

Nope, dad's not senile. Weather got to him. According to Kubes (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4426), happened before too.

(on if RB Chris Taylor was cramping) “Yes, just cramping up. You know, he had a little bit of that problem last year; he cramped up on us some. It’s hot and we had some shells on this morning for the first time and had a good long practice, so that’s part of it. You’ve got to keep pushing.”

Señor Stan
07-28-2008, 09:43 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread...

Jacoby sits because of sore ankle (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl)

Texans | Jones dealing with ankle injury
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 01:29:56 -0700

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak said WR Jacoby Jones (ankle) was bothered by a sore ankle Sunday, July 27, so he was held out of action. Kubiak said all indications were that Jones would be fine.

Mr teX
07-28-2008, 09:53 AM
just rub a little dirt on it, he'll be ok.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't think this has been reported her yet, but Chaun Thompson pulled a hammy this morning and is expected out for 8-10 days. He was showing quite a profile thus far.

barrett
07-28-2008, 02:21 PM
yeah, i just read that. so if i've kept track properly he was lining up as a 2 OLB and sometimes a DE in pass situations right? so his competitions are with Diles, Greenwood, Kalu, Colvin, and maybe Bulman i guess? I wonder how big of an issue it is for him to miss that much time. He's in his 5th year i think. Probably not that big of a deal unless he just misses out because he's not around.

J-Russ
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think this has been reported her yet, but Chaun Thompson pulled a hammy this morning and is expected out for 8-10 days. He was showing quite a profile thus far.

Is he playing as DE or LB in practices? I know he's suppose to be a situational pass-rusher, but maybe he can exceed people expectation and become a SLB.

CloakNNNdagger
07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I believe that mostly at LB and plugged in at DE on on passing downs.

barrett
07-28-2008, 03:41 PM
HT.com mentioned him as a backup MLB. Odd, Kubiak was quoted as saying Bentley was backing up Ryans. I don't know where I got it in my head that Thompson was working at OLB as well as the DE position but I know that he's in the mix as a situational pass rusher. That doesn't have to mean it's as a DE though i guess.

in other news, HT.com also has it that Faggins has missed time due to a hamstring.

So, as of today:

Thompson - 8 to 10 days (hamstring)
Chris Brown - dtd (back)
Jones - dtd (foot)
Faggins - unknown (hamstring)

did I miss anybody?

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Chris Brown - dtd (back)

:thinking:

Toro59
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Just looking at the title of this thread on the main page makes my heart drop.
But it's like a car wreck, I have to look everytime I get on here. Here's to less injury's in '08.

76Texan
07-28-2008, 03:57 PM
:thinking:

What are you talking about? :pirate:
Another one of your bad dream? LOL!

aj.
07-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Thompson ended Sunday's practice with a large wrap on above his knee. I thought it was knee but the ice bag may have been on the back - could have aggravated something from yesterday, thinking he could go. I know Thompson worked at 2nd team MLB Sunday before he went out. Can't say I noticed him anywhere else.

edit: going back and reading the Day 4 camp report, I'm pretty sure that Thompson's injury happened on Sunday morning and it just got reported today. It didn't say when it happened in the article and they wouldn't know the 8-10 day thing right after practice had it happened today.

GuerillaBlack
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Just looking at the title of this thread on the main page makes my heart drop.
But it's like a car wreck, I have to look everytime I get on here. Here's to less injury's in '08.

So far, they are just minor training camp injuries. Happens to every team. Let's hope it doesn't get worse.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 07:16 PM
What are you talking about? :pirate:
Another one of your bad dream? LOL!

Ha ... you know what the I am thinking.

The C Brown saga begins. :smiliedance:

He is going to be a debated topic on this team for a couple years before everyone including the coaches give up on him. I will admit I was a huge fan when he came out ... and when he lit up the Jags last season it was a work of art.

The Pencil Neck
07-28-2008, 10:38 PM

He is going to be a debated topic on this team for a couple years before everyone including the coaches give up on him. I will admit I was a huge fan when he came out ... and when he lit up the Jags last season it was a work of art.

I was hoping to get a few good games out of him this year but so far from the TC reports, I'm wondering if he's even going to make the team.

J-Russ
07-28-2008, 10:48 PM

what the hell are you talking about?

He'll be cut before the Cowboys game if he keep performing like this in practices pre-season games. Mike Bell would probably take his spot if he does get cut.

And if you check back in the thread when we got him, it wasn't like we were pinning him as our survivor. We all knew about his health problems, and were in the wait in see mode.

I don't know how you would define saga, but 1 1/2 month is a pretty short era.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I was hoping to get a few good games out of him this year but so far from the TC reports, I'm wondering if he's even going to make the team.

Oh he will be back trust me ... Christy Brown will blow up in the first 5 games. It will not makes sense and right as you gave up on him he will shine. The rest of the season people will point to which ever game that is and say remember game x? He can be great ....

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 10:58 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

He'll be cut before the Cowboys game if he keep performing like this in practices pre-season games. Mike Bell would probably take his spot if he does get cut.

And if you check back in the thread when we got him, it wasn't like we were pinning him as our survivor. We all knew about his health problems, and were in the wait in see mode.

I don't know how you would define saga, but 1 1/2 month is a pretty short era.

Want to put your sig on the line for a month that he makes the team?

J-Russ
07-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Want to put your sig on the line for a month that he makes the team?

That's not the point.

The point was that you think he's going to still be on this team even though he's showing that he is injury-prone and lazy so far in camp. We 4 RBs that performing better then him in camp. So tell me why you think he is going stay around, when he's the worst. What makes you think he'd stick around long enough to make us talk about him for years?

It seems like you have no idea what you're talking about. I was just pointing that out, just like you pointed out Chris Brown being DTD.

Either he shape-up and show the coach what he can be, or he doesn't. If he doesn't then he'll be cut.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 11:45 PM
I never understood why he kept making hte Titans but he did. The anomaly that is C Brown makes no sense really.

Specnatz
07-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I never understood why he kept making hte Titans but he did. The anomaly that is C Brown makes no sense really.

If he cant perform he will not be around. We have plenty of backs on the roster someone taking up space does nothing for the team. The tinheads kept him cause he probably throws the ball better than vy.

Carr Bombed
07-29-2008, 12:21 AM

Just when he was getting national pub as a top tier elite back in this league, little ol' Jason Simmons came along and took him out. Still to this day, that's one of the biggest football collisions I have ever seen, the sound from the collision was deafening. (they looked like two rams colliding.....the question of "what happens when a unstoppable force meets a immovable object was answered"....total carnage) There wasn't a winner in that hit........both players were destroyed and lost.

Man, I wish I still had video on that hit.

The Pencil Neck
07-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Just when he was getting national pub as a top tier elite back in this league, little ol' Jason Simmons came along and took him out. Still to this day, that's one of the biggest football collisions I have ever seen, the sound from the collision was deafening. (they looked like two rams colliding.....the question of "what happens when a unstoppable force meets a immovable object was answered"....total carnage) There wasn't a winner in that hit........both players were destroyed and lost.

Man, I wish I still had video on that hit.

You should search for it on here. I think it's been linked a couple of times.

Blazing Arrow
07-29-2008, 01:48 AM
If he cant perform he will not be around. We have plenty of backs on the roster someone taking up space does nothing for the team. The tinheads kept him cause he probably throws the ball better than vy.

Though he never threw a pass. Even you smack is weak.

Eight Gov
07-29-2008, 03:31 AM
As long as we're not as bad as the Redskins. They lost like five players already!

New_Texans
07-29-2008, 03:37 AM

Could say the same about your spelling.

ObsiWan
07-29-2008, 04:22 AM
HT.com mentioned him as a backup MLB. Odd, Kubiak was quoted as saying Bentley was backing up Ryans. I don't know where I got it in my head that Thompson was working at OLB as well as the DE position but I know that he's in the mix as a situational pass rusher. That doesn't have to mean it's as a DE though i guess.

in other news, HT.com also has it that Faggins has missed time due to a hamstring.

So, as of today:

Thompson - 8 to 10 days (hamstring)
Chris Brown - dtd (back)
Jones - dtd (foot)
Faggins - unknown (hamstring)

did I miss anybody?

I don't think you did...

I think that there's too much talent out there this year.
what's the old saying?
"ya can't make the club from the tub"

ObsiWan
07-29-2008, 05:03 AM
That's not the point.

The point was that you think he's going to still be on this team even though he's showing that he is injury-prone and lazy so far in camp. We 4 RBs that performing better then him in camp. So tell me why you think he is going stay around, when he's the worst. What makes you think he'd stick around long enough to make us talk about him for years?

It seems like you have no idea what you're talking about. I was just pointing that out, just like you pointed out Chris Brown being DTD.

Either he shape-up and show the coach what he can be, or he doesn't. If he doesn't then he'll be cut.

Whut he said. That is the bottom line; we have other options.

- Green looks healthy and actually better than I recall him looking last year.
- Slaton will be here because of the speed dimension he brings.
- Taylor is making himself valuable by learning a second position, FB.
- Walker, so far, is having the best camp of all RBs.

We're not "married" to Chris Brown like the Titans were because of our other options. The Titans were "married" to Chris Brown because when they drafted Brown, they used it as an excuse to cut Eddie George. When you cut one of the biggest parts of your offense, one of the faces of your franchise and, a Heisman Trophy winner, for a Chris Brown; you've painted yourself into a corner where you almost have give him every chance to produce. That's why Chris Brown was given 3-4 years with the Titans to make a name for himself.
And he did make a name for himself... "talented but undependable".

From the Day 4 post-practice presser

“His back was bothering him when he came in this morning and so we have him out of practice and he won’t practice in the afternoon on special teams,” Kubiak said. “We’ll see if his back is better tomorrow.
“It’s part of camp. You’re always going to have things to deal with. But for him to help his football team, he has to be on the field.”
"Missed time is not good time but if your back's bothering you, its bothering you."

aj.
07-29-2008, 06:53 AM
I know there are a few trolls waiting anxiously on the edge of their seats ready to point fingers and say ha ha if/when Brown washes out, but the reality is that the Texans didn't invest much in him, so in terms of financials, it's certainly not a big deal. He got two years with a 800k signing bonus and a base this year just above minimum for his tenure (700k). If he can't stay on the field - boom outta here - move on and they'll get someone else to replace him.

AG is the one who needs to put the yards where his money is this year. RB is obviously still a work in progress on this team and with other holes gradually getting filled, and the age/injury history of AG and CB, I would expect a new feature back in the fold next season whether it be through the draft or FA. I think Slaton's niche will be 3rd downs and other situational deals.

Thorn
07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Chris Brown injury does not suprise me. What would suprise me is if Brown and Green combine to start over six games this year. I see the younger backs getting a LOT of playing time this season. I doubt that either Green or Brown will be on the team next year anyway, so we might as well get used to the others.

pittbull3
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM
SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE THIS THREAD!!!! THE MORE YOU SPEAK SOMETHING, THE MORE IT STARTS TO MANIFEST! WE WILL BE HEALTHY, WE WILL BE HEALTHY, WE WILL BE HEALTHY!:mshadows:

Spike
07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
I know there are a few trolls waiting anxiously on the edge of their seats ready to point fingers and say ha ha if/when Brown washes out, but the reality is that the Texans didn't invest much in him, so in terms of financials, it's certainly not a big deal. He got two years with a 800k signing bonus and a base this year just above minimum for his tenure (700k). If he can't stay on the field - boom outta here - move on and they'll get someone else to replace him.

AG is the one who needs to put the yards where his money is this year. RB is obviously still a work in progress on this team and with other holes gradually getting filled, and the age/injury history of AG and CB, I would expect a new feature back in the fold next season whether it be through the draft or FA. I think Slaton's niche will be 3rd downs and other situational deals.

Stupid Question - Do these guys get paid even if they don't make the squad? I assume that the signing bonus is earned and in the bank. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the RBs - and I have come to the conclusion that no one is safe, with the exception of probably Slaton. One of Walker or Taylor seem to be the most likely to be cut intitially, but if Brown can't stay healthy and Walker and Taylor are playing well...Brown should be out.

infantrycak
07-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Stupid Question - Do these guys get paid even if they don't make the squad? I assume that the signing bonus is earned and in the bank. There has been a lot of discussion regarding the RBs - and I have come to the conclusion that no one is safe, with the exception of probably Slaton. One of Walker or Taylor seem to be the most likely to be cut intitially, but if Brown can't stay healthy and Walker and Taylor are playing well...Brown should be out.

Different answers for different players. If we aren't talking injury and are pre-season then they keep their signing bonus but the salary is not typically (Jacques Reeves would be a contrary example) guaranteed. Once the season starts, vets (don't know the tenure cut-off) have this season's salary guaranteed. If a player gets injured there are rules for injury settlements.

Specnatz
07-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Yes but I have seen vy throw and 7 year old girls are laughing all over the world.

pittbull3
07-29-2008, 12:57 PM
SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE THIS THREAD!!!! THE MORE YOU SPEAK SOMETHING, THE MORE IT STARTS TO MANIFEST! WE WILL BE HEALTHY, WE WILL BE HEALTHY, WE WILL BE HEALTHY!:headhurts:

Wolf
07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
exactly, I don't like seeing this thread on the first page (as I add to it)
as far as the thread topic goes
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2221/1560664843_da39375253.jpg

barrett
07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
the two of you should really think about what you're doing....

aj.
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Do these guys get paid even if they don't make the squad? I assume that the signing bonus is earned and in the bank.

Typically when a guy gets cut before the season starts, the signing bonus is in the bank but the base salary and in-season roster bonuses and incentives are forfeited. There are some cases where there's guaranteed base salary in the first two years of player contracts and that would have to be paid if the player is cut - and is also a dead money consideration on the cap as long as there's still a cap.

They structured Ahman Green's roster bonus in a unique way such that it's earned week to week - up to 500k this season - but only if he's game active (on the 45 man gameday roster).

Koolaid Time
07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
At least it isn't ankle injuries like a couple years ago...

Those are long recoveries...

Marcus
08-02-2008, 02:00 PM
So, who besides AJ is on the list so far? I believe Mike Bell also tweaked a hammy, right?

HJam72
08-02-2008, 02:33 PM
So, who besides AJ is on the list so far? I believe Mike Bell also tweaked a hammy, right?

Yes, and Mario broke his leg. :jk:

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2008, 02:49 PM

Chris Brown, sore back.
Jacoby Jones, bad foot... although I think he's back.
Scott Jackson, bad foot.

ObsiWan
08-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Fred Weary and Mike Bell are behind the power curve as far as conditioning goes. It really showed with Bell today. He pulled up lame trying to keep up with our guys who are in shape.

GP
08-02-2008, 10:37 PM

I hope this prophecy works out like it did when the Texans drafted DD with the same vision for DD's role: 3rd downs, special teams, etc.

For some reason, I think Steve is going to blow up like DD did. He's in the perfect spot to do it (Gibbs, best O-line we've had, competent QBs, and ailing RBs that he ought to be able to surge ahead of in the depth chart).

Slaton, Walker, and Taylor are fine by me. The other three? Meh.

The Pencil Neck
08-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I hope this prophecy works out like it did when the Texans drafted DD with the same vision for DD's role: 3rd downs, special teams, etc.

For some reason, I think Steve is going to blow up like DD did. He's in the perfect spot to do it (Gibbs, best O-line we've had, competent QBs, and ailing RBs that he ought to be able to surge ahead of in the depth chart).

Slaton, Walker, and Taylor are fine by me. The other three? Meh.

I hate to say this out loud -- or at least type it where people can see it -- but I agree with you about Slaton. I'm half expecting this guy to totally surprise everyone and become a feature back.

I can't wait to see him on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
08-03-2008, 12:45 PM
A positive point was brought out in the Chronicle this morning:

Johnson's unfortunate hitch in his stride notwithstanding, the Texans are off to a promising start. uibiak points out that he brought 89 players in last summer but had only 69 of them left on the field for the second Saturday practice. This year, 74 of 79 (Dunta Robinson, recovering from a major knee injury, is the 80th Texan) were full practice-worthy after nine days.

Maddict5
08-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, and Mario broke his leg. :jk:

i prob shouldnt say it but for a few weeks now, ive just had a strange, ominous feeling when mario is mentioned thats hes going to get a bad injury.. almost like things are going too well for him:gun:

hopefully its just me being stupid

barrett
08-08-2008, 03:26 AM
a few updates on injury situations:

from ht.com:

Ephram Salaam - knee dtd
His knee has been bothering him since he woke up this morning, bothering him a lot. So we’re getting that looked at right now.

Fred Weary - leg dtd
We do have results back on Fred. It would be hard for me to explain, really... It has to do with the screw placements that were placed in his leg when he had the surgery that are bothering him, but I know he’s not close.

Scott Jackson - i can't remember dtd

Kubiak expressed some pretty decent concern over depth of the OLine. Signs suggest they may look to bring someone else in:
“I don’t know. Him and Scott (Jackson), it’s kind of the same thing. We lost both of them and we thought we were looking at a short period of time for getting them back. We’re holding on, so to speak, trying to wait for both of them to get back healthy and now that process is getting rather lengthy. Our problems have been compounded a little bit up front. It’s just something we got to deal with and work through. It’s taking a lot of our time right now, (General Manager) Rick (Smith) and my time, as we move forward here in camp.”

Antuan Molden - hamstring? been rested and should play Sat.

that's all i've got. feel free to correct me.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2008, 06:59 AM
I am beginning to have some serious concerns with what is being revealed on Fred Weary's condition. After the type of injury he sustained with apparent plate and screw reduction/stabilization, as many as 1/3 of patients can have significant and many times debilitating postoperative pain. Many of these cases are felt related to the hardware. If screws have loosened in the bone and the hardware is not entirely secure...........could be best case scenario. However, for those that opt to have their hardware removed in the typical patient without any definitive cause being determined, only about 50% seem to obtain any significant improvement. In a football player, these are obviously more of a concern than for the average "couch potato."

BTW, here is the LINK (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4476) to the comments on Weary and others.

Malloy
08-08-2008, 07:16 AM
I may be talking out of my ass here, but did Weary not work out during training camp? Did I read it somewhere, or has he been away since the surgery?

alphajoker
08-08-2008, 07:20 AM
I hate this thread.

HOU-TEX
08-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I may be talking out of my ass here, but did Weary not work out during training camp? Did I read it somewhere, or has he been away since the surgery?

He was doing quite a bit a the beginning of TC. He was actually pushing Brisiel for the starting spot until this happened.

IMO, Kubiak's tone during post practice interviews would lead me to believe that it doesn't look too good Weary this season. :gun:

Malloy
08-08-2008, 09:08 AM
He was doing quite a bit a the beginning of TC. He was actually pushing Brisiel for the starting spot until this happened.

IMO, Kubiak's tone during post practice interviews would lead me to believe that it doesn't look too good Weary this season. :gun:

Thanks, I'm not being a complete ***** then :)

Depending on what they think are the chances of him ever getting ready again, they'll IR him, or release him. I'm hoping IR.

Mailman
08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Per 610, Ephraim Salaam had a procedure done on his knee and will be out at least until the season opener, if not longer.

Brown is definitely the starting LT.

ChampionTexan
08-08-2008, 09:48 AM
KGOW just reported that Salaam will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery and be out for 3 -4 weeks.

gary
08-08-2008, 09:51 AM
He is going to have to prove himself now.

Mailman
08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Apparently he woke up this morning and his knee had locked up on him. He was in a lot of pain, so much so that it required surgery to address the problem.

gtexan02
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Apparently he woke up this morning and his knee had locked up on him. He was in a lot of pain, so much so that it required surgery to address the problem.

Sheesh, you know its bad when Salami goes down. That guy has been a warrior for us, playing healthy and hurt

Hardcore Texan
08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
This sucks about Ephraim, this thread sucks, really hating this 80 man roster limit change also. Who's going to back up Brown at LT? Butler/Frye?

Mailman
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
This sucks about Ephraim, this thread sucks, really hating this 80 man roster limit change also. Who's going to back up Brown at LT?

I'd guess Rashad Butler.

hadaad
08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Bring back Charles Spencer!

:)

El Tejano
08-08-2008, 12:06 PM

That sounds funny but it also makes sense. I mean he gets cut by us then by the team that signs him. It could mean that Spencer being a Texan was only meant to be.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2008, 12:16 PM

If that is indeed the case, there was probably a small piece of loose cartilage or bone fragment floating in the joint (most likely a medial meniscus) causing the lock up. If this is the case, if there are no complications, he should return as stated in good shape to go into the beginning of the season.
With a little rest the knee can many times unlock. But if it does, it is very likely to repeat, in time potentially causing severe joint damage. To the Texans credit this time, they have evidently hopped right on it, choosing not to taking chances having him play "through" his problem possibly leading to losing him over a longer period of time..........and a more important period of time.

Mailman
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Meanwhile, general manager Rick Smith said today that the Texans could bring back guard Charles Spencer and sign him to the practice squad. After the Texans waived Spencer in July, Carolina claimed him. The Panthers waived him Thursday, saying he was too out of shape to contribute.

“The door’s still open,” Smith said. “We’ve been in contact with him. If he gets in shape, then another chapter in the Charles Spencer story could be written with our team.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5931910.html

barrett
08-08-2008, 04:35 PM
thanks for combining these into one thread. it makes sense. and thanks for removing my ominous "begins". this looks much better.

Go Texans!

Thorn
08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
folks are talking about our injuries on the 0-line, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'm keeping up with all of it. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

What I don't understand, if I am in fact understanding anything here, is why we are so short on left tackles if only one of them is injured? Shouldn't we be out signing some free agent left overs to take some reps if we are?

I've learned a lot about football over the year I've been here, but apparently not enough. LOL

aj.
08-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Some of these scopes can be relatively minor with fairly quick recoveries - especially when it's in the category of 'clean up' and not related to primary structure. If it was going to happen, I'm glad it happened now since Week 1 is still a month away. There's probably not an OL in the league past 5 yrs that hasn't had a few of these procedures. Pitts was telling a story earlier that Ephraim had this done before and was back on the field within a couple weeks. I doubt the Texans will allow him to come back that quickly but let's hope this one falls into the quick healer category.

ObsiWan
08-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Meanwhile, general manager Rick Smith said today that the Texans could bring back guard Charles Spencer and sign him to the practice squad. After the Texans waived Spencer in July, Carolina claimed him. The Panthers waived him Thursday, saying he was too out of shape to contribute.

“The door’s still open,” Smith said. “We’ve been in contact with him. If he gets in shape, then another chapter in the Charles Spencer story could be written with our team.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5931910.html

he's been let go by two teams because of his weight, you'd think that would wake him up. Kid has talent, but the Angry Cherokee likes his guys more nimble than big.

Problem is, if we pick him back up - hoping he'll shape up - that means someone else has to go. Do you let Weary or Salaam or Butler go hoping that Spencer shapes up??

Thorn
08-08-2008, 06:35 PM
he's been let go by two teams because of his weight, you'd think that would wake him up. Kid has talent, but the Angry Cherokee likes his guys more nimble than big.

Problem is, if we pick him back up - hoping he'll shape up - that means someone else has to go. Do you let Weary or Salaam or Butler go hoping that Spencer shapes up??

So why do we have to let another lineman go to sign a lineman? Can't we let another position go in an area we have debth and no injuries?

The Pencil Neck
08-08-2008, 07:33 PM
folks are talking about our injuries on the 0-line, and to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'm keeping up with all of it. Perhaps someone could explain it to me.

What I don't understand, if I am in fact understanding anything here, is why we are so short on left tackles if only one of them is injured? Shouldn't we be out signing some free agent left overs to take some reps if we are?

I've learned a lot about football over the year I've been here, but apparently not enough. LOL

Salaam, obviously, out 3-4 weeks. That's one tackle.

Scott Jackson, has been out more than a week with a foot problem. They expected him to be back by now, but he's not. That's another tackle.

Fred Weary, having pain. That's a guard out.

Normally, they would let Duane play the first half at LT and Winston probably play the first quarter at RT. Then Salaam or Butler would come in at RT for the second quarter.

Then in the second half, Salaam would probably move to LT for a quarter and Butler play RT. Then Jackson and Butler or Frye would play the fourth quarter.

But now, it's going to be Duane and Winston probably for a half. And then Butler and Frye for the second half. Which is more work for Winston and probabl Frye than they planned.

Thorn
08-08-2008, 07:38 PM

Scott Jackson, has been out more than a week with a foot problem. They expected him to be back by now, but he's not. That's another tackle.

Normally, they would let Duane play the first half at LT and Winston probably play the first quarter at RT. Then Salaam or Butler would come in at RT for the second quarter.

Then in the second half, Salaam would probably move to LT for a quarter and Butler play RT. Then Jackson and Butler or Frye would play the fourth quarter.

But now, it's going to be Duane and Winston probably for a half. And then Butler and Frye for the second half. Which is more work for Winston and probabl Frye than they planned.

So, in other words, we've had more injuries on the OLine that counted on, and the draftees/free agents/backups pool is being dipped into sooner than expected?

I'm beginning to see why this new 80 man rule sucks. I say drop a tight end or two, and get some OLinemen into camp.

dtran04
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
So why do we have to let another lineman go to sign a lineman? Can't we let another position go in an area we have debth and no injuries?

I thought said they could sign him to practice squad.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM

My guess is that they would expect him to show significant weight loss and conditioning improvement prior to contemplating bringing him back. They would probably not make such a move until the end of cuts when the practice squad is finalized. They could not possibly expect him to be in play condition by the beginning of the season. That is probably what they assessed prior to his release, but wanted to savor every player on the roster for evaluation prior to final decisions. I would also think by their statement that the "door is still open," they think that he has potential but do not know when he may truly be ready to be accurately tested to make that determination.

pittbull3
08-08-2008, 08:26 PM

No matter what, by the beginning of the 3rd quarter, Butler and Frye would have been playing. Salaam is 200 years old. The Texans were not going to be him up much anyway. This opens the door for them to let Salaam go. Save cap space and move forward with Brown at LT:aggressive:

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2008, 08:59 PM
No matter what, by the beginning of the 3rd quarter, Butler and Frye would have been playing. Salaam is 200 years old. The Texans were not going to be him up much anyway. This opens the door for them to let Salaam go. Save cap space and move forward with Brown at LT:aggressive:

Unless there are complications with his postoperative course, there isn't a chance in HHHH that Salaam is released.............not with his past supportive performance and with the fact that he is the only experienced (in terms of longevity and knowing the system) back up tackle we have.

The Pencil Neck
08-09-2008, 12:46 AM
So, in other words, we've had more injuries on the OLine that counted on, and the draftees/free agents/backups pool is being dipped into sooner than expected?

I'm beginning to see why this new 80 man rule sucks. I say drop a tight end or two, and get some OLinemen into camp.

Problem is, we're tight on TE's, too. We've got 4 right now and we'll probably carry at least 3.

The positions where we have the most players and the most excess is actually at WR, Safety, and maybe CB. I was surprised when they let Bell go to sign Tucker. I expected a wideout to be let go. We've got 5-6 guys fighting for the 5th wideout spot.

Thorn
08-09-2008, 03:27 AM
^

This is probably why I'm a NetAdmin for a living and not an NFL coach. LOL

edo783
08-09-2008, 10:06 AM
I was surprised when they let Bell go to sign Tucker. I expected a wideout to be let go. We've got 5-6 guys fighting for the 5th wideout spot.

Bell was out of condition and unlike the WRs, he wasn't able to "Fight for a job". Just didn't have it. I'm a bit surprised that a guy who has been in the league and gets cut doesn't work harder at being physically ready to make a new team. IIRC, he did get some pretty good dollars in Denver, so maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard. Happens.

ChampionTexan
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Bell was out of condition and unlike the WRs, he wasn't able to "Fight for a job". Just didn't have it. I'm a bit surprised that a guy who has been in the league and gets cut doesn't work harder at being physically ready to make a new team. IIRC, he did get some pretty good dollars in Denver, so maybe he just doesn't want to work that hard. Happens.

I hope that wasn't it. For his two years in Denver, he made less than $700,000. Remember - he was an UDFA, and his annual salary never made it above the minimum.

edo783
08-09-2008, 11:44 AM
I hope that wasn't it. For his two years in Denver, he made less than $700,000. Remember - he was an UDFA, and his annual salary never made it above the minimum.

For some reason I thought he got some sort of bonus/extension a couple of years ago. Must be thinking of someone else.

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 02:29 PM

But now, it's going to be Duane and Winston probably for a half. And then Butler and Frye for the second half. Which is more work for Winston and probably Frye than they planned.

Very Nice post. It Put 'em in a pickle. As to how much to expose the QB position to offensive lineman they have no more line on but what they feel about their capabilities. I'm sure they were hoping to get Winston off the field as soon as possible. No one asked the question on six ten yesterday. I'd like the question asked so we can drive a stake in it's heart, wrap garlic around it's neck and bury the fricker.

What would it take to flip Erick to the left side?

b0ng
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM

What would it take to flip Erick to the left side?

Eric would probably have to grow some longer arms, slightly quicker feet to go along wit it. I think if Kubiak had plans for Winston to switch over to the left side we probably would not have Duane Brown on the team at this moment.

Don't let all of the "Go Winston" talk fool you, he's had his pass protection troubles as well. I think if we ever see Winston on the left it would be more temporary than permanent.

barrett
08-21-2008, 12:46 PM
trying to think of who we've got for this week....

Pitts (ankle) won't play. Studdard will start in his place.
Green (groin) won't play until the regular season
Adibi (i want to say it was a foot or something) will he play?
Fletcher (don't know) game time decision

a pretty short list for late august.

Thats all I know of. feel free to update it as you see fit.

Cjeremy635
08-21-2008, 12:50 PM
trying to think of who we've got for this week....

Pitts (ankle) won't play. Studdard will start in his place.
Green (groin) won't play until the regular season
Adibi (i want to say it was a foot or something) will he play?
Fletcher (don't know) game time decision

a pretty short list for late august.

Thats all I know of. feel free to update it as you see fit.

What about AJ? Are they going to play him? I didn't figure they would take any more chances in preseason with him.

76Texan
08-21-2008, 12:56 PM
What about AJ? Are they going to play him? I didn't figure they would take any more chances in preseason with him.Kube said AJ is going to play less than 3 quarters.

So unless something else happens, expect to see him in the game.
I don't care whether he played. Moss didn't participate in a single snap last year during pre-season, and look at the season he had.

Also, LT didn't play at all last pre-season either.

barrett
08-21-2008, 01:09 PM
i don't mind him getting reps. he doesn't need them but it would be good for Schaub. maybe even just a quarter or two.

i forgot about the obvious injuries as well.

Jackson (foot) out
Weary (leg) IR