PDA

View Full Version : Texans Training Camp 2008

Pages : [1] 2

utahmark
07-25-2008, 12:59 PM
just thought we needed a camp thread. a place where any news, reviews, or other info about this years camp can be kept in one place.

Hagar
07-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Due to the dates and times this year, I'm not going to make a training camp this year so I know I'd appreciate any updates y'all could give.

PS: the new schedule stinks! :(

RTP2110
07-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Here are some pix from practice #1

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/TEXANS_TRAINING_CAMP_DAY_1.html

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm a grammar freak (sometimes). Fix the capitalization on the thread title.

Hardcore Texan
07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Here are some pix from practice #1

http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/TEXANS_TRAINING_CAMP_DAY_1.html

Great pics! Houston.....we have Texans football! :texflag:

J-Russ
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
http://images.chron.com/photos/2008/07/25/12178183/600xPopupGallery.jpg

Duane Brown.... after his agent showed him his contract number$.

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2008, 03:10 PM
:)

Nice. When do they go in pads?

HOU-TEX
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM

Nice. When do they go in pads?

From Kubes' quote it looks like Sunday.:texflag:

(on how often they will wear pads during training camp) “When we do it will be in the morning. I can’t put a number on it right now but it will be the third day before we put them on. I know that.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4420

Silver Oak
07-25-2008, 04:27 PM
God, please protect our team from serious injury this training camp...and if it's not asking too much, the regular season (and playoffs).

:fans:

Hardcore Texan
07-25-2008, 04:30 PM

"Billy Jean is not my lover, she's just a girl..........

b0ng
07-25-2008, 04:44 PM
From Kubes' quote it looks like Sunday.:texflag:

Effing sweet. That'll be my first day of Training Camp ever.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Effing sweet. That'll be my first day of Training Camp ever.

Dude! My first was the season before last (Kubiak's 1st year) and if you love football like I do....you'll F'n love it!

It almost feels like you're a part of the action because you're so close to the field.

If you choose to sit, get there early. Otherwise, standing room only.

I'm not a big autograph guy, but alot of the guy's will sign after practices.

:texflag:

mariokickssacks
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
hopefully I'll be able to make it next thursday, but it doesn't look like i'll be able to get off work in time. This'll be the first year since we started that i can't go to tc, which hurts. Any updates anyone can offer will be a huge help.

utahmark
07-25-2008, 04:54 PM
here is a little bit of info http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/brown_the_big_focus_as_texans.html sounds like aj is back.

MightyTExan
07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Oops! Chris Brown misses practice to go to a wedding. Might get fined.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/brown_the_big_focus_as_texans.html

AnthonyE
07-25-2008, 05:20 PM

Seconded.

alphajoker
07-25-2008, 05:35 PM
God, please protect our team from serious injury this training camp...and if it's not asking too much, the regular season (and playoffs).

Amen to that brotha!!

Lucky
07-25-2008, 05:37 PM
Oops! Chris Brown misses practice to go to a wedding. Might get fined.

It didn't sound as serious on HT.com. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4422)

Brown was the only player absent from the Friday morning practice. The sixth-year pro was tending to a family issue.

“I’m dealing with him (Brown) on a family situation and I’m expecting him to be back here tonight and on the field in the morning,” Kubiak said.

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Seconded.

I wish I could double rep.

cuppacoffee
07-25-2008, 08:03 PM

But if you choose not to, then please inflict our opponents with an equal amount of injuries.

:voodoo: :dangit:

This isn't sacrilegious is it?

:coffee:

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2008, 08:16 PM

Just a still town tackle on a Friday night, lookin' for the fight of his life
In the real-time world no one sees him at all, they all say he's crazy

Locking rhythms to the beat of his heart, changing man into life
He has danced into the danger zone, when a tight end becomes a tackle

It can cut you like a knife, if the gift becomes the fire
On a wire between will and what will be

He's a maniac, maniac on the floor
And he's dancing like he's never danced before

Sembello, Maniac (http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/maniaclyrics.html)

Honoring Earl 34
07-25-2008, 08:34 PM

Sembello, Maniac (http://www.lyricsondemand.com/onehitwonders/maniaclyrics.html)

Are you going to pour a bucket of water on him ?

whiskeyrbl
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
here is a little bit of info http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/brown_the_big_focus_as_texans.html sounds like aj is back.

Goosebumps on that last sentence.

Kaiser Toro
07-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Are you going to pour a bucket of water on him ?

He is a little to close to that pole.

whiskeyrbl
07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Will post some pix from tomorrows practice that we take,and some notes of interest.

keyser
07-25-2008, 08:50 PM

I can deal with the (lack of) capitalization. Now, the extra 0 in the year, that bugs me...

The Pencil Neck
07-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Will post some pix from tomorrows practice that we take,and some notes of interest.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks from those of us who can't go.

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I can deal with the (lack of) capitalization. Now, the extra 0 in the year, that bugs me...
I just noticed that. :)

I say, we keep it like that.

TexansLucky13
07-25-2008, 09:07 PM

This is what the Houston Texans will look like in the year 20,008.....

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/star_wars_clone_army.jpg

PapaL
07-25-2008, 09:09 PM
I already love this thread (no homo).

Your 200000008 Hewstin Texinz!

J-Russ
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Did John Titor changed the title?

Back to the future.....

J-Russ
07-25-2008, 09:14 PM

LOL.

b0ng
07-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Goosebumps on that last sentence.

I got goosebumps, but only because I had a real sense of deja vu. It's like I've heard that before.:mcnugget:

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 01:07 AM
The most encouraging thing I've heard so far was from Travis Johnson towards the end of the TexansTV segment, "Defensive Leaders Arrive (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv/)"

"I got a whole lot better last year. If I put what I did last year with a lot of improvement this year, y'all might be seeing something special."

Wow.
A motivated Travis Johnson. This I gotta see.
A pissed off Mario who seems to want to let his play do all the talking.
And a second year Amobi Okoye who, by the accounts from OTAs, was the most improved DL guy.
A 100% healthy Anthony Weaver.

the DL boys are looking good ...on paper.

RTP2110
07-26-2008, 09:20 AM
More day 1 pix:

http://www.houstontexans.com/gallery.asp?section_id=501#

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 11:03 AM
I didn't see him at training camp today. Anyone know where he is hiding?

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
From what I saw today:

-Okam is a giant
-Slaton is a burner
-Bruener can't catch
-AJ is the best player on the team
-Runningback battle is going to be the best it's ever been

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 11:09 AM
From what I saw today:

-Okam is a giant
-Slaton is a burner
-Bruener can't catch
-AJ is the best player on the team
-Runningback battle is going to be the best it's ever been

Oh yeah....

-I really like Moffitt's potential

nunusguy
07-26-2008, 11:09 AM
For those of us who didn't attend the TC session this morning, could you share with us your impressions of some of the players you did observe this morning ?

ArlingtonTexan
07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I got a note from someone that taylor went down. Any word from attendees?

Hardcore Texan
07-26-2008, 11:33 AM

Man, I hope not, if so I hope it is minor.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Looks like Taylor pulled a hammy. He was drained after special teams and then went down shortly after that.

The trainers went out and helped him off the field right away. Didn't look major at all.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 11:39 AM
I cannot start a thread about it, because it got moved to here, but...

WHERE IS COLVIN?

He wasn't at the practice, and was one of the main guys that I wanted to watch.

aj.
07-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Taylor looked like cramps to me. We'll see what the post-practice quotes say.

Colvin 58 was out there standing in the back -- no pads or helmet. I was looking for him too and didn't see him until the last 1/2 hour or so.

Petey sat out the whole practice. Had ice on his left hamstring.

Bentley got nicked but it looked like it was minor.

Dunta was moving around better than I expected. He did all the stretching and they had him hooked up to that long bungee and he appeared to be digging fairly well as he stretched it out. He appears to be walking and jogging normally to me.

b0ng
07-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Are they allowing fans to get autographs from players or any of that sort of feel good stuff?

Also, Chris Taylor needs to remain as healthy as possible if he wants to remain on the team.

painekiller
07-26-2008, 11:51 AM

Cramps, with Green and Brown limited, the young guys need to stay hydrated.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Looks like Taylor pulled a hammy. He was drained after special teams and then went down shortly after that.

The trainers went out and helped him off the field right away. Didn't look major at all.

Shaft, I think it was a cramp in the calf. I watched him after he walked behind the players with the trainer and they were rubbing down his calf. They were also throwing alot of gatorade at him. He'll be ok.

I cannot start a thread about it, because it got moved to here, but...

WHERE IS COLVIN?

He wasn't at the practice, and was one of the main guys that I wanted to watch.

He was there after practice with his jersey and tennis shoes. I don't know where he was during practice.

The only ones I saw rehabbing were D-Rob and Faggins.

IMO, the practice was kinda sluggish today.

Green and Slaton had good runs.

AJ's a beast.

OD made some good grabs.

Krause was my surprise of the day. He reeled in a few nice balls. Might spell the end for Bruener who couldn't catch anything thrown at him today.

painekiller
07-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Colvin 58 was out there standing in the back -- no pads or helmet. I was looking for him too and didn't see him until the last 1/2 hour or so.

Colvin was over with watching the DL/OL drills on field 2. No pad No helmet. But he was watching.

I am not concerned with him today, as long as he is going strong by week #1.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:02 PM
For those of us who didn't attend the TC session this morning, could you share with us your impressions of some of the players you did observe this morning ?

I sat in the stands mainly where the defense was. I saw mostly DB and LB play, some 7-on-7, special teams and team scrimmage.

Special Teams was the briefest period and there wasn't much action. However, Turk was booming the ball and Jacoby caught a punt that came like 2 inches from the ground with his fingertips. Took a lot of skill. Moffitt got down first on two punts and on one he made a good hit on Anderson.

The defense looked decent, with some different names. Diles wasn't with the starters at the beginning, Bentley was, but during the team scrimmage he was rotated in with the 1st teamers. Molden looked like he belonged out there, primarily playing nickel with the first teamers and a surefire #2. Don't be surprised when he gets plugged in for Reeves this year with the ones. He had the burst to keep up with any of the receivers. I was pretty impressed. Faggins and D-rob weren't suited up, but were high-fiving their fellow db's and watching the action and going through their script of plays.

Andre Johnson had about 5 catches. Almost looked like a Sunday game to me. The guy just knows how to get open. Also, the other Andre(Davis) caught two bombs down the field. I saw TN flashbacks! He is so fast and yet so good about slipping down a gear to come back to the ball. He was such a good pickup for us and I am glad he is still around.

ALEX GIBBS!!! He tore guys new buttholes out there today. The "little Cherokee" is a feisty coach. I don't know what Jameel Cook did but he scolded him all the way back to behind the huddle. Reminds me of those old-school coaches my dad always told me about when he was in high school.

Slaton looked like a pretty fast guy. On a sweep to the left, against the 2nd team defense, he got to the sideline and it was ballgame. The guy is electrifying, and hopefully it will translate in the NFL. Darius Walker, Ahman Green, Chris Brown all looked pretty good too. Brown is a lot bigger than I thought he would be.

Let me know if there is anything also that you would like to know. I might be missing some stuff.
:tiphat:

b0ng
07-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Let me know if there is anything also that you would like to know. I might be missing some stuff.
:tiphat:

How did the DLine look? How much bigger is Okam than Okoye (I thought Okoye looked huge last year in comparison to the rest of the DLine)?

Did Xavier Adibi play with the 2's? What about Bentley and Thompson, how did they fare?

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:09 PM
It was great seeing some of you guys today....great to have football back on the week-to-week again. Looks like everyone was in great shape and it seems like there was more contact than at this time last year. Jesse Nading stood out and I thought Mouldin looked abit like Chris Dishman as far as bodytypes go....thin waist, long arms and had smooth hip turn. If I was to bet right now I'd say Salaam is going to start vs Pittsburgh.

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:12 PM
How did the DLine look? How much bigger is Okam than Okoye (I thought Okoye looked huge last year in comparison to the rest of the DLine)?

Did Xavier Adibi play with the 2's? What about Bentley and Thompson, how did they fare?d-like looked fine...there is only so much you can tell when they are in shells this early in camp. Everyone seemed to be in great shape. Okoye is much smaller than Okam. Okam seems big even when standing around the big guys.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Did Xavier Adibi play with the 2's? What about Bentley and Thompson, how did they fare?

It was a little tough for me to see too much in the trenches, I sat in the front row and players and people walking by were constantly in my view.

Okam looks like that dude off of the longest yard, you know the one "I brokeded my nose". He was huge!

Adibi was with the 2's and so was Thompson. Bentley is battling with Diles for sam. Thompson was a thick dude. However, I got confused a lot between Bentley and Thompson, just because they are new additions. Adibi seemed to hold his own, but I didnt focus in on him. I thought he looked good in the passing drills at the beginning of the practice.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
It was great seeing some of you guys today....great to have football back on the week-to-week again. Looks like everyone was in great shape and it seems like there was more contact than at this time last year. Jesse Nading stood out and I thought Mouldin looked abit like Chris Dishman as far as bodytypes go....thin waist, long arms and had smooth hip turn. If I was to bet right now I'd say Salaam is going to start vs Pittsburgh.

Who was Jesse Nading? I don't know about him.

HOU-TEX
07-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Okoye is much smaller than Okam. Okam seems big even when standing around the big guys.

David Anderson was standing next to him at one time and all I could do is laugh. The dude's a mountain of a man.

Mario's still a beast! The guy is just flat out ripped from head to toe. He destroyed Salaam a couple times. Brown was bullrushed a couple times, but the ball was gone by the time MW was in the backfield. Brown had his leg rolled up on which was scary for a second.

Lucky
07-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Let me know if there is anything also that you would like to know. Did Taylor see any reps at FB? Anyone else besides Leach or Cook at FB?

Who was running 2nd team O-line?

What were the safety groupings? Did the 2 Brandons play together?

Who did Andre Davis beat on those bombs?

Thanks for sharing. I'm out in Cali and will miss training camp for the 1st time. I know a lot of other fans are in a similar position and appreciate the info.

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Who was Jesse Nading? I don't know about him.
number 72 (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=354). He seemed pretty quick and had high energy. He made a nice spin move on Winson on one play that stood out in my mind. I started to pay attention to him after that and he seemed to hold his own...but like I said earlier its way too early to draw too many conclusions about any of the guys at this point in camp. I did hear the pads pop a bit more in this practice than I seemed to remember at this stage in last years camp. Can't wait till tomorrows session.

aj.
07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
It looked like the second day of training camp to me.

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:22 PM

I think Davis ran past Earl on one of them...after the long catch in the middle of the field the coaches were talking to Earl. Not sure who the cb was or what his technique was.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
David Anderson was standing next to him at one time and all I could do is laugh. The dude's a mountain of a man.

Mario's still a beast! The guy is just flat out ripped from head to toe. He destroyed Salaam a couple times. Brown was bullrushed a couple times, but the ball was gone by the time MW was in the backfield. Brown had his leg rolled up on which was scary for a second.

OH MAN! That almost ruined the whole day!!!

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:25 PM
I think we will have a piece on Okam at the .com shortly...the camera crew was on him at the end of practice.

Brando
07-26-2008, 12:32 PM

So I take it Brown didn't start off to good. I know they showed a little of Day 1 on Fox last night and he got beat by Colvin.

I wish I could be there!

Vinny
07-26-2008, 12:36 PM
So I take it Brown didn't start off to good. I know they showed a little of Day 1 on Fox last night and he got beat by Colvin.

I wish I could be there!
Brown is gonna get a lot of reps but he is raw...and will continue to be raw for a little while. He didn't look "bad". It's hard to look too good or too bad at this stage in the game.

Brando
07-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Brown is gonna get a lot of reps but he is raw...and will continue to be raw for a little while. He didn't look "bad". It's hard to look too good or too bad at this stage in the game.

Yep, that's why they are there. I'm confident Gibbs will have the youngster ready for opening day.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Did Taylor see any reps at FB? Anyone else besides Leach or Cook at FB?

I didn't see anyone else at FB.

Who was running 2nd team O-line?

I remember seeing Butler at RT, Jackson, Studdard, Salaam and I don't know who the other guard was.

What were the safety groupings? Did the 2 Brandons play together?

Brown and Demps were starting. Earl and Ferguson were 2nd team and the two Brandons were alternating with Barber being the other safety.

It looked like one was Reeves and the other was was Roberson.

Thanks for sharing. I'm out in Cali and will miss training camp for the 1st time. I know a lot of other fans are in a similar position and appreciate the info.

No problem!

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 12:51 PM

You are right. Tomorrow I think that I will sit at the top of the bleachers, farthest to the left. I will probably be able to gauge the action way better from there.

Lucky
07-26-2008, 01:00 PM
I remember seeing Butler at RT, Jackson, Studdard, Salaam and I don't know who the other guard was.
That seems to be the case from Bullpen Andy's pic (http://texansbullpen.com/08photogallery/Preseason/2008-07-26-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0191.JPG), with Chris White at Center.

Shaft75
07-26-2008, 01:04 PM
That seems to be the case from Bullpen Andy's pic (http://texansbullpen.com/08photogallery/Preseason/2008-07-26-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0191.JPG), with Chris White at Center.

Yeah, I forgot the center not the guard. Not bad depth at all.

Vinny is right, I heard more pops of equipment today too.

I forgot to mention the play where Diles popped Darius Walker. Didn't see it because someone was walking in front of me, but I did hear it.

Texans_Chick
07-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Presser after today's camp stuff:

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4426)

Highlights:

Kubiak: (on T Duane Brown) “Just got gassed, you know. Taking a lot of reps, which he’s going to do, and he’s a little bit overweight right now. So we’ve got to push him, and he’s got to catch up with the rest of his teammates. In this business, you’ve got to be able to go all day and he’s figuring that out, and we’ve got to catch him up with everybody else.”

My comment: He looked a lot uh fluffier than the other linemen. Pitts looked in particularly good shape for him.

Kubiak: (on LB Rosevelt Colvin not practicing) “Rosevelt, well, I’m going to alternate him and (DE) N.D. (Kalu). I’m going to rotate them at practices, so I gave Rosevelt this morning. He’ll work in the afternoon; N.D. will take the afternoon off. I’ve got a big group of players I’ll be doing that (with) starting right now.”

(on if LB Rosevelt Colvin and DE N.D. Kalu are competing with one another for a roster spot) “I wouldn’t – I mean, everybody’s competing for a job. What I would say is they’re a lot alike as players, you know. They’re undersized ends that rush the passer. So from that standpoint, they’re very much alike and they’ve both been playing a long time, so I think it’s natural for us to stagger them in practice and let them get to the point where they can be as good as they can be and then let it work itself out.”

(on if RB Chris Taylor was cramping) “Yes, just cramping up. You know, he had a little bit of that problem last year; he cramped up on us some. It’s hot and we had some shells on this morning for the first time and had a good long practice, so that’s part of it. You’ve got to keep pushing.”

Andre Johnson: (on how he is feeling) “Yesterday, I didn’t feel too good, to be honest. You know, I was kind of winded. But today, I feel real good. I don’t really know what it was – maybe the heat got to me. But today, I came out and played a lot better, maybe through the whole practice, but I’m feeling good right now.”

(on his knee) “My knee is feeling fine. I haven’t really had any problems with it. When I am out running routes, when I break down, I have no problems, no pain and no nothing. I still go in and do some things just for precaution. But other than that, it is feeling fine. I’m just trying to get ready for the season.”

Steve Slaton: (on the jumping into the Bullpen) “Hopefully. Hopefully, I’ll do it every game."

(on visiting the Hall of Fame with the rookies) “It’s very important to me. It's one of the proudest moments of my life. You get to see the people that laid down the foundation to play football and see how it keeps revolving."

(on what inspired him most on the trip) “The Jim Brown, the Walter Payton, the Emmitt Smith and the breaking of the rushing record. That’s one of the things I wanted to see and take some pictures of."

(on following in their footsteps) “Just the longevity in my career, that’s all.”

So there you go. :texflag:

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Are they allowing fans to get autographs from players or any of that sort of feel good stuff?

Also, Chris Taylor needs to remain as healthy as possible if he wants to remain on the team.

Yep. The autograph session was in full effect. I understand that you need a wristband to be permitted in the autograph line. I heard, from folks in the crowd, that some people got there before daybreak to get in line to get wristbands.

Chris Taylor had to be helped off the field at one point. But later he was up "walking it off".

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Shaft, I think it was a cramp in the calf. I watched him after he walked behind the players with the trainer and they were rubbing down his calf. They were also throwing alot of gatorade at him. He'll be ok.

He was there after practice with his jersey and tennis shoes. I don't know where he was during practice.

The only ones I saw rehabbing were D-Rob and Faggins.

IMO, the practice was kinda sluggish today.

Green and Slaton had good runs.

AJ's a beast.

OD made some good grabs.

Krause was my surprise of the day. He reeled in a few nice balls. Might spell the end for Bruener who couldn't catch anything thrown at him today.

Agree that A.J. is a beast.
The surprise of this morning's session was Andre Davis. He beat the D deep at least twice; adjusting to some balls that weren't exactly "perfectly thrown". I don't recall seeing him drop anything that was thrown in his direction.

Darius Walker looked like he's trying very hard not to be the odd RB out. He's not as speedy as Slaton, but he used his blocking much better than everyone else. Chris Brown looked fairly decent too.

Some of the DTs, Okoye, Okam, Gabe Long, and one other guy who's number slips my memory, were the last guys to leave the practice field. They worked with the DL coaches a good 15-20 minutes later than everyone else on technique.

Will Demps stayed late doing wind sprints.

I like to make note of the guys who stay behind to put in that little extra.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 01:51 PM

It was great to meet you guys too! I'll see you out there tomorrow morning.

b0ng
07-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Yep. The autograph session was in full effect. I understand that you need a wristband to be permitted in the autograph line. I heard, from folks in the crowd, that some people got there before daybreak to get in line to get wristbands.

Chris Taylor had to be helped off the field at one point. But later he was up "walking it off".

Thanks for the info bro, I would rep you but apparently you post too well as it is.

GuerillaBlack
07-26-2008, 02:08 PM
Got it covered.

Hardcore Texan
07-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the recaps! It is so awesome to be able to here this stuff from first hand observers.

How did Schaub look out there, was he sharp?

TexanBacker93
07-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the recaps! It is so awesome to be able to here this stuff from first hand observers.

How did Schaub look out there, was he sharp?

He had at least one nice deep throw to Davis. Some bread and butter passes to AJ. I was trying to watch the trenches more. I am curious about his leg, though. Does anyone know what happened to his thigh? His knee and thigh were wrapped up.

cuppacoffee
07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Darius Walker looked like he's trying very hard not to be the odd RB out. He's not as speedy as Slaton, but he used his blocking much better than everyone else. Chris Brown looked fairly decent too.

As A fan of the Irish I am really pulling for Darius.

I think he got a hard lesson in "desire to play" from Kubiak last year.

:coffee:

Maddict5
07-26-2008, 04:32 PM
He had at least one nice deep throw to Davis. Some bread and butter passes to AJ. I was trying to watch the trenches more. I am curious about his leg, though. Does anyone know what happened to his thigh? His knee and thigh were wrapped up.

he took a bad whack to it during the falcons.. im guessing this is the result

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d802d22f0 at 3:30

who is frye and weary playing with? i think RG could be an interesting TC battle

Texans_Chick
07-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Here's my training camp report:

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/26/houston-texans-training-camp-photo-essay/

It's more of a talking about camp and relating it to quotes from the last couple of days sort of thing, but there may be some pictures people want to see.

It was great seeing more people from the MB at camp.

gary
07-26-2008, 04:59 PM
All the guys looked a little slugish out there today but will improve as training camp goes on. Pitts looked like he was in good shape along with Fred W. AD had a couple of catches of passes that weren't really placed all that well. I didn't see much of JJ. Leach was the only FB that I saw. Green had some nice runs so did Salton. He showed some burst of speed but not too much but he will get there. Nothing really that great from MW that I saw but he did not have a bad practice. AO number 91 looked ok as well but again nothing great. Mark B. looked very bad dropping every pass that came his way. D. Walker played like he did not want to be the odd man out, no one does. Matt did throw some questionable passes but I know he will work that out with the coaches. He also looked like he hurt a little bit. He did have his knee wrapped up and I hope it is nothing too bad.

TexanSam
07-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Here's what Lance Z had to say about today's practice

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/07/five_observations_from_saturda.html
1. The chemistry between the WRs and the QBs looked pretty good considering it is so early in camp. If the Texans can establish the running game, the play-action passing is going to be a MAJOR force this year because André Davis will keep getting open deep and because the TEs are going to be open a ton. Andre Johnson is a given and Kevin Walter is very underrated. Good to see the passing game look sharp early on.

2. Jauque Reeves didn't have a great practice on Saturday morning and his body language needs some work too. Coach Hoke and Coach Rhodes got on Reeves a couple of times because of mistakes he was making and he just hangs his head and kind of slumps around. I don't really mean to jump the guy so soon in practice but he better get used to having coaches jump him and try and coach him up. This is a grown man's league and the Texans are counting on Reeves this year.

3. LT Duane Brown had a nice day in pass protection drills. Brown did a nice job with his hands and with redirecting pass rushers as they tried to make swim moves on him. His technique has already improved a great deal from when I watched him at the Shrine Game practices which were here in Houston back in January.

4. DE Chaun Thompson could have a bigger role on this defense than expected. Many times it is much easier for a pass rusher to have success in pass rushing drills than it is in a game because it isn't always one on one during a game. There is help sometimes from the guard if a DE spins inside. With all that said, Thompson has good speed off the edge, not great, but he has some nice swim moves and spins that are hard to ignore out there. If Rosevelt Colvin isn't the man opposite Mario Williams during pass rushing situations, it will be Thompson.

5. Dunta Robinson is coming along NICELY. I spoke with a couple of people close to the situation who both said that Robinson is coming along much faster than the time-table that was set for his rehab. Granted it is a contract year and I'm sure that Robinson wants to get back out on the field, but there is a chance now that Robinson might not be put on the regular season PUP list. I think if you had asked anyone with the Texans just a month ago they would have told you that they thought the PUP list was inevitable, but right now he is just on the preseason PUP list and he's already running and cutting better than expected.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info bro, I would rep you but apparently you post too well as it is.
No prob. Glad to help.

Tex Trenches
07-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Here is to an injury free camp. Cheers everyone. Go Texans!!

gary
07-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Too late yesturday someone broke their nose.

IlliniJen
07-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Too late yesturday someone broke their nose.

Didn't Kubes say the guy wasn't much of a looker anyway? LOL...

gary
07-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Lol.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 07:35 PM
Didn't Kubes say the guy wasn't much of a looker anyway? LOL...
it was Mike Brisiel
you make the call

gary
07-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I say no he was not.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 07:47 PM
There was one "I forgot" that I noticed. There's a WR running with the 3rd teamers, #17 LeRon McCoy, he made some pretty nice catches. Kid has pretty good speed, good hands, and is tall and sturdy (219 lbs according to the roster). David Anderson better watch his back.

Also, obviously this is my perception, but Brink has the slowest release of all our QBs, at least from what I saw this morning. And his passes weren't alway on target. He's definitely a "project".

Didn't see Shane Boyd throw any passes; all I saw him do this morning was hand off. I've been wondering if he was truly good enough to make Quinn Gray expendable. Perhaps tomorrow he'll run the 3rd team 7-on-7s.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 07:48 PM
I say no he was not.

No argument from me on that call

b0ng
07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
No argument from me on that call

Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston could probably both be cavemen for Geico commercials and wouldn't require that much makeup.

gary
07-26-2008, 07:55 PM
17 did look reallly good out there.

ObsiWan
07-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Mike Brisiel and Eric Winston could probably both be cavemen for Geico commercials and wouldn't require that much makeup.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Alleyoop.jpg (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Alleyoop.jpg)
Winston during the off-season

PapaL
07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
I am so living vicariously through you folks right now. It's not funny. I'm tempted to hop on a plane and fly in.

J-Russ
07-27-2008, 12:24 AM
Here's what Lance Z had to say about today's practice

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/07/five_observations_from_saturda.html

Hey Lance,

did Mario go up against Brown today? And if so, who had the upper hand?

Z: I saw them matched up once and Brown got the best of him.

Interesting.... can't wait till they put on pads. Then we'll truly know who will get the better of who.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Hey Lance,

did Mario go up against Brown today? And if so, who had the upper hand?

Z: I saw them matched up once and Brown got the best of him.

Interesting.... can't wait till they put on pads. Then we'll truly know who will get the better of who.

..........and then it will be interesting to see how that breaks down in pass protection vs. the run.

Vinny
07-27-2008, 07:34 AM
should be a little hitting today...so hope nobody gets hurt.

GP
07-27-2008, 09:08 AM
I am so living vicariously through you folks right now. It's not funny. I'm tempted to hop on a plane and fly in.

LOL. I know what you mean.

I want to make a comment here...but it's like "Uh, I'm not there and I don't know anything and can't say anything because I can't see what's going on."

It's a helpless feeling. I wait for the daily updates like a dad waits for an update on how things are going in the delivery room. I'm all pacing around the waiting room, biting my fingernails...just waiting to hear something from the doctor. "Any news doc? How's she doing?"

I thought I saw a poster say that Matt Schaub had his knee wrapped? What's that about? Does anybody know? And I guess Briesel's nose and some cramping with Taylor is the extent of injuries thus far, right? Man...we need ZERO camp injuries.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2008, 09:28 AM
LOL. I know what you mean.

I want to make a comment here...but it's like "Uh, I'm not there and I don't know anything and can't say anything because I can't see what's going on."

It's a helpless feeling. I wait for the daily updates like a dad waits for an update on how things are going in the delivery room. I'm all pacing around the waiting room, biting my fingernails...just waiting to hear something from the doctor. "Any news doc? How's she doing?"

I thought I saw a poster say that Matt Schaub had his knee wrapped? What's that about? Does anybody know? And I guess Briesel's nose and some cramping with Taylor is the extent of injuries thus far, right? Man...we need ZERO camp injuries.

I missed that post. If this is true, I wonder if it's his LEFT knee, which if I remember was the resaon he was taken out of the October Titans game. Any additional info out there?

GP
07-27-2008, 09:38 AM
...AO number 91 looked ok as well but again nothing great. Mark B. looked very bad dropping every pass that came his way. D. Walker played like he did not want to be the odd man out, no one does. Matt did throw some questionable passes but I know he will work that out with the coaches. He also looked like he hurt a little bit. He did have his knee wrapped up and I hope it is nothing too bad.

Cloak:

Here's where I saw it.

BTW, gary, thank you for posting all those observations on so many guys. Good stuff.

CloakNNNdagger
07-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Cloak:

Here's where I saw it.

BTW, gary, thank you for posting all those observations on so many guys. Good stuff.

Thanks. Now, I really hope it's not a lingering result or reinjury of his left knee injury of last year.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2008, 11:23 AM
I just want to add my voice to the chorus of people saying "thanks, guys." I really wish I could be there and see all this. Like GP, I'm like an expectant father waiting for news from the delivery room and I really appreciate all the work you guys are doing bringing that news out to us.

Wolf
07-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I can't see anything about Schaub in the video. I didn't notice a knee wrapped or anything, but I don't know when the video was made
day 2
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4427

I want to echo the "Thanks guys" for the reports

Wolf
07-27-2008, 11:40 AM
toward the end of the day 2 video(about2/3- 3/4 of the way) .. Schaub has a white wrap on his right knee or it was above it as he is throwing a pass to AJ

was a quick clip.. not sure if it was much of anything

aj.
07-27-2008, 11:43 AM
I noticed the Schaub knee wrap yesterday too. Looked more like a protective thing - like a thin ace-wrap. I didn't notice it this morning but I wasn't looking for it. Andy's pictures should capture it if it's there again. He took his normal amount of reps and was moving around fine so I doubt if it's a major concern.

I am a lttle concerned about Chaun Thompson. He limped off about halfway through practice and later we saw him with a large ice wrap on his left knee. He stayed on the sideline the rest of practice.

There was a lot of hitting today and the defense made up for yesterday. Earl Cochran coming clean and blasting Chris Taylor in the backfield set the tone for the day.

Petey was still out. ND didn't suit up. Colvin was out there. It was full pads today (at least they wore pants). Another very pleasant morning out there with the breeze making it very comfortable.

Someone was asking about 2nd team secondary yesterday. Not sure about yesterday but today it was Ferguson and Earl at the safeties with Molden and Fletcher getting most of the 2nd team CB reps. I recall seeing Harrison get a few second team reps, but not many. Nickel is Fred, Reeves, and Molden. I saw Jimmy Williams in there on 2nd team nickel.

Molden got a little work on first team and Andre made him look pretty bad on one play late in practice. Molden lined up in press and at the snap Andre gave Molden a right hand punch to the chest sending Molden flying backward about 5 yards. AJ did a quick look in and Schaub delivered a strike. Yes, it wasn't fair. I'm very excited about Molden. He's raw but you can tell he has tons of ability. After one particularly bad play, Hoke yelled him off the field but then Rhodes came over and had a nice calming 'good cop' face to face counseling session with him on the sideline. There's the benefit of having a guy like Rhodes around.

Second team OL is Salaam - Studdard - White - Jackson/Weary - Butler. It's amazing to see Weary out there. He looks almost as good as new.

First team LBs were Diles-Ryans-Greenwood. Second team was Adibi-Thompson(until he got hurt) and Bentley. I remember seeing Marcus Richardson get a lot of reps today. Colvin was situational DE.

Ben Moffitt looks like a football player. Eslinger needs to do something about his hair. Frank Okam is huge.

Slaton showed good burst around the corner a few times. I think that will be his niche, along with passes out of the backfield which we haven't see much of in practice thus far.

Someone needs to find out why they changed up their stretching routine and what's behind it.

rmartin65
07-27-2008, 11:57 AM
I will chime in, thanks for posting all this stuff. It is very helpful to those of us not there.

Fox
07-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Appreciate the updates.. Has anyone focused at all on Jacoby Jones and how he's looked so far? I read he made a nice grab on Friday, but haven't heard anything since.

aj.
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Forgot to mention Jacoby. He looked a little gimpy after practice this morning. Didn't appear serious but he was walking with a slight limp after they took the pads off. Just getting used to full contact again, I think.

Jacoby hasn't really stood out to me - yesterday or today. He was shagging punts with Fletcher today.

It's still too early to draw any conclusions from any of this stuff.

HOU-TEX
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Appreciate the updates.. Has anyone focused at all on Jacoby Jones and how he's looked so far? I read he made a nice grab on Friday, but haven't heard anything since.

JJ's been doing ok. He hasn't had many balls thrown his way. I think he might have rolled his ankle on a punt return. He seemed to be limping alot afterwards. Probably nothing to be concerned about, but it was noticable towards the end of practice.

There were alot of passes thrown underneath to the TE's and RB's today. Our TE's look good, except Bruener.

IMO, MW was destroying Brown in the 11 on 11 drills. He appeared to handle Rosey decently.

Slaton, Taylor and Green looked good today as well. I've yet to be impressed with Chris Brown.

Fred Bennett had a couple knockdowns against Walter.

Schaub's deep ball wasn't very good today. He seemed to underthrow a few that should've been thrown over the shoulder.

Overall, I think the defense won the battle today. The team looks decent for a 3rd day practice.

alphajoker
07-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Molden got a little work on first team and Andre made him look pretty bad on one play late in practice. Molden lined up in press and at the snap Andre gave Molden a right hand punch to the chest sending Molden flying backward about 5 yards. AJ did a quick look in and Schaub delivered a strike. Yes, it wasn't fair. I'm very excited about Molden. He's raw but you can tell he has tons of ability.

Sounds like Molden got a lil' 'Welcome to the NFL' lesson from AJ. :) Thanks for the update as well as to everyone else. I'll be there next Saturday morning for sure.

Lucky
07-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Someone was asking about 2nd team secondary yesterday. Not sure about yesterday but today it was Ferguson and Earl at the safeties...
Thanks for the update (and thanks to everyone for sharing their perceptions). It's interesting that the Texans would pair 2 guys at safety who have spent most of their career at SS.

Anyone have some thoughts on Alex Brink? From the clips I've seen in Texans TV (on HT.com), he was throwing wounded ducks. Does Brink look like someone worth a roster spot?

painekiller
07-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Forgot to mention Jacoby. He looked a little gimpy after practice this morning. Didn't appear serious but he was walking with a slight limp after they took the pads off. Just getting used to full contact again, I think.

Jacoby hasn't really stood out to me - yesterday or today. He was shagging punts with Fletcher today.

It's still too early to draw any conclusions from any of this stuff.

JJ did have a very good PR on one of the plays.

Also aj great report from this morning.

Wolf
07-27-2008, 12:56 PM
d-like looked fine...there is only so much you can tell when they are in shells this early in camp. Everyone seemed to be in great shape. Okoye is much smaller than Okam. Okam seems big even when standing around the big guys.

You weren't kidding Vinny

http://texansbullpen.com/08photogallery/Preseason/2008-07-27-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0002.JPG

b0ng
07-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Some thoughts that I had:

Bennett looked great. Had a knockdown against Walter, and I thought the other one was on AJ, but I guess I could be wrong. Reeves got burned a few times. I'm not too sure about him, I guess he's good but I haven't seen it quite yet.

Adibi looked pretty decent with some nice side to side speed. He took more 2nd team reps today, but he did come out with the 1st team a few times. I'm really liking him as a pick.

Saw Colvin playing and he didn't do anything that was out and out great. Looked like he's got a decent amount of speed (More than Kalu has in past seasons).

Alex Gibbs is constantly on the offensive lines ass, and specifically Brown. Brown took snaps with all 3 teams and basically looks like they are just trying to wear him out. Seems to have a lot of heart and always gets back up no matter how tired he is. Doesn't look that great right now, hopefully Alex Gibbs magic works with Brown. Me and my dad were calling him the "little general".

John McClain looked fat as ever. I don't know if he was able to actually watch anything other than the 11 on 11 drills.

Slaton looks like he has tons of speed to get to the outside and around the edge. Between the tackles, not so much, although Walker looked a lot better today than I imagined he would. Chris Brown was a little unimpressive. Ahman looked real good.

AJ was definitely being AJ out there. Couldn't tell that he has had 2 knee surgeries in the past year. I think McCoy made some decent grabs. He could push Anderson who dropped some balls. Jacoby had only a few balls thrown his way.

Noticed Dunta basically mentoring Molden when the 1st team was on the field, liked that. He was showing him where to put his hands and some other things, talking to him a lot. Dunta didn't run (used the bikes) so I couldn't tell if he was limping at all or not.

That's about all I got. It was real nice outside today. Perfect day to watch football.

gary
07-27-2008, 12:59 PM
I saw CT walk off the field it made me worry just a little bit I'm hoping it's not too bad. Leach has good hands. Green had some more good runs today. McCoy had some nice grabs watch out Anderson. AJ had some nice plays along with AD. Matt was under throwing the ball somewhat and a couple were over thrown. Fred B. had a couple of really nice blows on KW.

Hardcore Texan
07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys, for my daily Texans fix......again!

:fans: :texflag:

Danish_bull
07-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I appreciate all of you who are atattended to this year camp. Great stuff to read and very nice information for me who really never had the opportunity to went to Houston and watch the TC.

Please continue to report stuff!
:thisbig:

aj.
07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
It's interesting that the Texans would pair 2 guys at safety who have spent most of their career at SS.

It wasn't an isolated case either - that was the alignment on almost every second team rep. I was expecting to see more of Harrison. But you never know how the coaches might be distributing reps. Pecking order will become clearer when the preseason games begin.

I didn't see Brink throw this morning. Boyd had most if not all the 3rd team reps. Too early to tell on Brink. Yesterday he showed pretty good arm strength on some short pops over the middle but you could time his 15 yard out with a sundial.

gary
07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
It would not shock me at all if with in the next few years or so to see Brink as at least a number two guy in the NFL.

Austrian
07-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Boyd had most if not all the 3rd team reps. Too early to tell on Brink. Yesterday he showed pretty good arm strength on some short pops over the middle but you could time his 15 yard out with a sundial.

How did Boyd look with the 3rd string guys?

P.S. Thanks guys for keeping us informed!:fans:

drewmar74
07-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Slaton looks like he has tons of speed to get to the outside and around the edge. Between the tackles, not so much, although Walker looked a lot better today than I imagined he would. Chris Brown was a little unimpressive. Ahman looked real good.

I was curious how Ahman would look in the ZBS. I was also curious as to if he would show any lingering effects from last year's knee injury.

Based on what you said and the lack of commentary to the contrary, it sounds like all is well on the AG front, eh?

I hope he can hold up, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in him after his knee got "debacled" last year.

Yes, I know that's not the proper use of the word "debacle." It's an Emmit Smith-ism, though, and I like it.

gary
07-27-2008, 03:15 PM
He sure didn't show any lingering knee effects today.

J-Russ
07-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Some quotes from McClain. (http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/observations_after_five_practi.html)

Now, here are some observations after watching the first five practices of training camp: Every day, I'm more impressed with rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden. He's got the size, speed and work ethic the coaches love. He has confidence. He doesn't get down on himself. Like Fred Bennett in last year's camp, he makes at least one big play every day.

I've had three former players I trust tell me they think he's special. They've watched Molden in practice. They've watched him on the sideline interacting with his teammates. They're very impressed.

I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that I believe sometime early in the season Molden will be in the starting lineup. It could be because of an injury, or it could be because he's just played himself into a starting job, but based on what he did in the offseason and what he's done early in camp, he's got a chance to be very, very good.
Molden has been receiving some pretty high praises during this off-season.....
At safety, the coaches have talked a lot about veteran Glenn Earl and rookie Dominique Barber. We all know that C.C. Brown and Will Demps are the starters, but the truth is that both are capable of being beaten out if somebody emerges. I think Earl has the best shot. He started 15 games in 2006 but missed all of last season with a foot injury.

I've been hearing alot of good things about Barber.... I hope I can eat crow, because I was pretty harsh during the draft after we selected Barber and Brink.

The best hit I've seen was delivered by defensive end Earl Cochran. He drilled running back Chris Taylor, lifting him off the ground and planting him like a geranium. Cochran's hit brought a lot of cheers from the fans and defensive players as well.

Watching the offensive and defensive linemen go at it in pass protection drills, I'm always amazed at how Mario Williams blows by his man almost every time. Williams is fun to watch in that drill. He's also fun to watch when he's going against two linemen.

Defensive tackle Anthony Maddox showed impressive quickness and explosion in the morning practice. He also showed some nifty moves. The coaches would love to see a tackle develop as a pass rusher to come off the bench in passing situations to play next to Amobi Okoye.

Rookie left tackle Duane Brown did a good job. The coaches are throwing a lot at him. He's going against ends, tackles and outside linebackers. They've also had cornerbacks blitz from the slot. I think the idea is to hit Brown with as much as they can to see how he performs. They don't want him to be surprised by anything.

aj.
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
How did Boyd look with the 3rd string guys?

Hard to assess.... a young inexpereinced qb with a bunch of 3rd teamers around him. Most of his play calls were pretty conservative - handoffs and short passes. Wait 'til the pre-season games, then we'll know more.

Ahman looks great. Just like last year.

gary
07-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I haven't really watched Molden yet but I'm going to. From what I've been reading here he sounds really good.

drewmar74
07-27-2008, 03:41 PM
"I'm going to go out on a limb right now and say that I believe sometime early in the season Molden will be in the starting lineup. It could be because of an injury, or it could be because he's just played himself into a starting job, but based on what he did in the offseason and what he's done early in camp, he's got a chance to be very, very good. "

That sounds great.

Of course, McClain may not be going that far out on a limb since Reeves has sounded very, very average based on what I've read so far.

Thorn
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks to all who've posted their observations here. This is beginning to be my favorite information thread.

gary
07-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I hope that McClain is right.

aj.
07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Anyone interested in why the Texans are line dancing instead of stretching before practice? I asked Nick Scurfield of the Texans and he provided this answer from Dan Riley:

http://boards.houstontexans.com/showpost.php?p=125139&postcount=170

More fuel for the Riley debate.

gary
07-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Now I know.

The Pencil Neck
07-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Anyone interested in why the Texans are line dancing instead of stretching before practice? I asked Nick Scurfield of the Texans and he provided this answer from Dan Riley:

Actually, he's got that right.

Stretching is good... but stretching before you exercise can be bad. Stretching can actually weaken the muscle and lead to injury. Stretching should be performed after you work out or on another day.

Like he said, there are tons of studies for this.

GuerillaBlack
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
That's what I do. Stretch after working out. Helps keep them muscles lean. :)

gary
07-27-2008, 05:07 PM
Actually, he's got that right.

Stretching is good... but stretching before you exercise can be bad. Stretching can actually weaken the muscle and lead to injury. Stretching should be performed after you work out or on another day.

Like he said, there are tons of studies for this.Thank you because I did not know this.

texasguy346
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks to all who've shared reports of what they saw. It's great to have such a wealth of information for those of us who can't attend camp. My brother is in the process of packing to move to Kentucky with his girlfriend so most of my free time is spent helping him pack. Can't wait to see the first preseason game.

gary
07-27-2008, 06:39 PM
EC had a very nice lick on Taylor today.

Malloy
07-28-2008, 03:42 AM

Wanted to ask about that, now I dont have to :)

Thanks AJ, and to everyone else for the feedback from TC!

gary
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Welcome.

HOU-TEX
07-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Welcome.

Gary, it was nice meeting you and your Mother Saturday. Y'all are good people!

Where were y'all yesterday? I was on the far left hand side of the bleachers. I stayed in my seat the entire time because I didn't want to lose my spot.

Again, nice meeting you. :fans:

ObsiWan
07-28-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry I couldn't chime in yesterday, but our apt. wireless was down so I'm just now getting web access again. AJ, b0ng, Hou-Tex, Gary, and all the others have pretty much covered everything.

My observations (forgive me if they've been mentioned already):
- Fred Bennett looked READY! I don't think more than 2-3 passes were caught on his side of the field all morning. He was all over everything thrown his way like proverbial "cheap suit".

- Darius Walker looked really good again yesterday. And not due to speed (we all know that's not his strength) but by proper use of his blocking. When the OL flows in the designed direction of the play, he seems to have a knack for knowing when to cut back for good yardage. On one play, the entire defense was flowing right with the blocking. He cutback left, made the backside contain miss, and left the entire D playing catchup.

- Chris Taylor played quite a bit of fullback. He split time with Cook on the 2nd team. But he played tailback in I-formations too. He was probably dragging pretty badly by the end of practice.

- Ahman Green looks like he's still got something left in the tank. He found the crease a couple of time and made some decent gains. He still seems to have good acceleration when he gets to the second level. Chris Brown was not very impressive

- All the QBs seemed to be a little off. Even Schaub's throws were off-target. A.J. and O.D. (I think - I gotta start carrying a clibboard) beat the secondary deep; once he overthrew the WR the other time he underthrew him.

- Boyd got the 3rd team reps yesterday. He's got more velocity on his throws than Brink does. But he's no better from an accuracy standpoint. Both need to work on their timing with the WRs.

- I still haven't seen Okam do anything remarkable. ...or Okoye either for that matter. But it could be I'm comparing them to Mario - who's constantly ending up in the backfield - and that's probably not fair.
Come to think of it, the D-line's performance is probably why the QBs were off all morning.

J-Russ
07-28-2008, 01:41 PM
* I've been reserving judgement on the Jacques Reeves signing and trying to overlook what I saw last year after hearing all the Texans' rationale (*sips Kool-aid*). However, seeing him today has me worried already. Kevin Walter worked him over almost every time they were matched up. For every good play, he got beat twice. My boy who was with me, a DB coach that played CB at SMU, is straight-up expecting the worst and hasn't taken a swig of my J.Reeves Kool-aid since day 1. I gotta say it's starting to taste a little sour to me too.

* Fred Bennett, on the other hand, looked ready to go-live today. He's real agile for a guy that rangy. If he stays healthy, he's gonna have a big year.

* NOBODY ON THE FIELD CAN CHECK #80. Only thing that stopped Dre J. was the occasional inaccurate throw.

* Duane Brown is gonna be pretty nice once he gets his feet under him at this level. He pancaked Rosey Colvin once, held up well against Mario, and delivers a pretty good pop when his balance is right. Still needs a ton of polishing, but I see why they liked him.

* I saw exactly what you noted from Chaun Thompson. He was the only one with a burst off the line comparable to Mario. He whooped E.Winston right off the snap on one rep. Then a couple reps later he looked like he blew a wheel and was done for the day. Hope it's nothing serious 'cause he looked really good.

* Amobi got handled by Chris Myers, as did Travis Johnson. Myers looked very good in pass-pro. Our starting DTs couldn't really do anything with him. Chester looked good too and almost had Okoye airborne on one rep. Not quite sure how to feel about those match-ups at this point, but the #1 C/G definitely got the better of the #1 DTs.

* Anthony Weaver is garbage, IMHO. He also could have used some whipped butter & syrup a couple times that I saw. I don't think he'll be starting past the open week, if it's about the play and not the pay. He and his bloated contract look like dead weight to me at this point. Both Cochran and Bullman looked better.

* If Mario ever develops a reliable inside counter move, he'll be pretty much unblockable. That's the only thing I saw that's really missing in his game.

I'm starting to see a trend, the FA we throw the most cash at end up busting.... looks like Reeves is heading into that infamous list of players. Let's hope he break the curse, or else we'll just have another subpar player on a bad contract.

Memo to Smith. Don't buy players anymore draft them.

ObsiWan
07-28-2008, 01:54 PM

I'm starting to see a trend, the FA we throw the most cash at end up busting.... looks like Reeves is heading into that infamous list of players. Let's hope he break the curse, or else we'll just have another subpar player on a bad contract.

Memo to Smith. Don't buy players anymore draft them.

addendum to memo:
If you MUST shop (because you only have so many picks); browse the bargain racks. Those guys - Anthony Maddox, Bulman, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, etc. - are more often much hungrier.

HOU-TEX
07-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure this has been posted yet or not. Kieth (InTheBullseye) had a few comments on Saturdays practice. The portion about Gibbs is hilarious. :spit:

When I arrived at Reliant Park and finally saw Gibbs, I thought, my what a fresh face on the field, a true visage of wisdom and warmth. Then practice started, and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD he ripped into fullback Jameel Cook for whoknowswhat. I heard maybe ten words come out of his mouth and at least four of them were "ass". I can only assume the other six were nuggets of his genius, like rainbows of love shone across a golden dewy meadow, but all I kept hearing was "ASSASSASSASS".

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080726.html

gary
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I have to watch some more of the DB.

JayCee
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
thanks guys for the updates!

gary
07-28-2008, 07:59 PM
There will be some more reports tomorrow.

Wolf
07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
By MEGAN MANFULL and JOHN McCLAIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Hot times for Brown

Rookie Duane Brown got his wake-up moment of training camp just two days into it. He struggled to deal with the heat during the morning practice, and had to leave the field before it was over. He returned to participate in all of the afternoon session inside the bubble.

“Ah, man, it was terrible,” Brown said. “It didn’t get this hot in Virginia. Me, being young, I thought I could just come out there and do my thing, but there’s a lot more to it.”

The Texans are giving Brown a lot of repetitions at left tackle, and Saturday was the first day they donned shells under their jerseys. The coaches are also working with Brown to lose about 10 pounds. He said he hopes to get down to 315 pounds soon.

“(He) just got gassed,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “Taking a lot of reps, which he’s going to do, and he’s a little bit overweight right now. ... In this business, you’ve got to be able to go all day, and he’s figuring that out, and we’ve got to catch him up with everybody else.”
No help needed

Second-year defensive tackle Amobi Okoye is enjoying walking off the practice field with just his helmet and his pads. A year ago, his hands were filled as veterans dumped their gear on him.

“I just watch as the veterans ask the rookies to carry their helmets and I think, ‘Ha ha ha. That was me last year,’ ” Okoye said.

He hasn’t gotten up the nerve to ask anyone to carry his gear though. And he has no intention of asking fellow defensive tackle Frank Okam to do it down the road.

“I’ll just carry mine,” Okoye said. “If they volunteer to carry it then I’ll give it to them. But I’ll keep mine for another three or four years, because those guys are all still older than me.”

Okoye is 21 years old, Okam 22.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5909464.html

gary
07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
He must loose some pounds.

Wolf
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Sights and sounds of the Texans' reporting day

I've covered the NFL in four decades, and Thursday was the first time I've seen a player pushing his baby in a stroller after he reported for duty. But there was defensive tackle Travis Johnson pushing seven-month-old Travis Andre "Duece" Johnson II in and out of Reliant Stadium.

While daddy was being interviewed, Duece was sucking on his bottle as flashbulbs went off, video and television cameras clicked and reporters - this one included - made faces to try to get his attention. But Duece didn't flinch. Even when daddy took him out of the stroller and held him high in the air, Duece didn't bat an eye, yawn or make a sound.

Johnson and Johnson provided the most interesting visual Thursday, the day before the Texans begin two-a-day drills at their practice facility. The best sounds came from all those players who spoke seriously about making the playoffs for the first time.

Considering how tough the AFC South was last season and how tough it should be this season, it's difficult seeing the Texans having a record good enough to move up and make the playoffs.

Think about it: They're 1-11 against the Colts and 2-10 against the Titans, including 0-3 against You Know Who. If they weren't 7-5 against the Jaguars, the Texans would be an abomination in the AFC South.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/sights_and_sounds_of_the_texan.html

painekiller
07-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Just a note to the guys about the deep balls being underthrown. Sometimes the underthrow is by design. When you have a WR like Andre that is such a beast, most DBs do not have a chance going up for a ball against him.

When the DBs have deep position, the QB will underthrow the ball so the WR can try to out jump the DB or knock the ball to the ground. I know Kubiak uses this method, because he was trying to teach it to Carr.

GuerillaBlack
07-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Just a note to the guys about the deep balls being underthrown. Sometimes the underthrow is by design. When you have a WR like Andre that is such a beast, most DBs do not have a chance going up for a ball against him.

When the DBs have deep position, the QB will underthrow the ball so the WR can try to out jump the DB or knock the ball to the ground. I know Kubiak uses this method, because he was trying to teach it to Carr.

We know how that went.

ObsiWan
07-29-2008, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure this has been posted yet or not. Kieth (InTheBullseye) had a few comments on Saturdays practice. The portion about Gibbs is hilarious. :spit:

http://www.inthebullseye.com/archive/2008/20080726.html

Gibbs' "nuggets of genius" are not for the faint of heart. Even when plays looked successful, he found something to yell about. And when they weren't successful.... whoa...

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2008, 08:18 AM

How do you underthrow a slant Mr. Kubiak?

HOU-TEX
07-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Gibbs' "nuggets of genius" are not for the faint of heart. Even when plays looked successful, he found something to yell about. And when they weren't successful.... whoa...

Yeah, me and a buddy kept an eye on him for a while during Sunday's practice. The guy's like a pissed off Energizer Bunny. It got to the point to where all we could do is laugh about it. I don't think there was 1 Olineman of the group that didn't face the wrath of Gibbs at one point or another.

My first name is Eric and when Winston missed the blitz from the rt side (forgot who it was), Gibbs screamed "Eric, $%#@" I thought I could've shat myself.

J-Russ
07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
It's been about 4 hours since practice ended and there is no news yet?

HOU-TEX
07-29-2008, 02:40 PM
It's been about 4 hours since practice ended and there is no news yet?

I know, right! Didn't anybody go to the practice this morning? I guess switching to the morning practice's is a conflict for people's work. I know it was for me.

Anybody??

gary
07-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I went to practice today. MW was just lighting it up. He was strong and fast coming off the edge. Green and Taylor had some really nice runs along with Steve S. McCoy had another nice day so did AJ not much again from JJ or AD. AD caught some. D Brown was able to provide some holes for the RBs. ES did ok as well at LT. Gabe Long looked really good. Leach did good. Molden did well again. Fred W. did not practice I don't know why. Matt threw well today.

Lucky
07-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the report, gary.

gary
07-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh, I forgot. To quote 76 Texan, "The water boys did a great job of running with the water.":whip:

HOU-TEX
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Oh, I forgot. To quote 76 Texan, "The water boys did a great job of running with the water.":whip:

Thanks for the run down Gary.

Heck, I'd be a water boy if it meant I'd be on the field with the team. Hmm, I think I might do that when my kids graduate College. :thinking:

HJam72
07-29-2008, 03:54 PM

I'm worried about injuries on that water unit. :thinking:

gary
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
The players sure are because then they don't get any water.

76Texan
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Sorry guys and gals, a few things need to be taken care off.
I thought Andrew would give a report already.
Or some other fans who were at the practice.
And Andy was there as usual to take all the pictures.
I've always wished he would have a digital recorder with him to provide some caption to the photos.

Give me a moment, and I will get to it!

76Texan
07-29-2008, 04:37 PM
Today I want to watch the linemen first (I've always believe in the war in the trenches.)

1. Okam and Brown slim down a good bit from what I can see.

2. During the linemen drill, the D won it today.

3. Goal line situation, the O-line won it, however.

4. I wasn't able to watch the full 11 in total, maybe Andrew can give more insights there, for he was in the bleachers and I was in the endzone working slowly up.

5. Good showing by the RBs overall (without Chris Brown), so it meant good job by the O-line.

gary
07-29-2008, 04:51 PM
The D sure did win the battle today and number 64 was hit in the noggin and had to leave but then he came back. What was wrong with Chris Brown?

Rex King
07-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all of the updates, everyone! They just announced on 610 that tomorrow's morning practice is open to everyone, even if you don't have tickets.

The D sure did win the battle today and number 64 was hit in the noggin and had to leave but then he came back. What was wrong with Chris Brown?
Back spasms, according to HT.com

gary
07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
I saw him get hit as well.

76Texan
07-29-2008, 05:14 PM
The linemen drill.

Pitts was most solid on the Oline. There was nobody who can get pass him on this day.

Bull fighting out there between two Longhorns as Okam got a hold of Studdard (whether by the chest or by the throat - as another observer said that might have been the casse) and shoved him back.
Studdard was definitely in pain as he moved off to the side to recollect himself. 5-7 yard away, surely you can see it. Studdard was alright though, he came back 4-5-6 minutes later.

They were teaching Okam how to shred the double team right through the middle. And he applied it on the next drill.

The veteran O-linemen were OK-solid for the most part, but they all were tested.

On the Dline, Bulman looked good, I can see why they consider having him on the outside some.

Cochran, Jesse Nading, Gabe Long made their case.

The reserved Oline didn't look too good, I'm a bit worried about the depth at center.

I don't know if we can count off Zgonina, however old he is.

J-Russ
07-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the report.

gary
07-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Chris M. wasn't that good today at center he was getting beat quite often.

GlassHalfFull
07-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I noticed a lot of work on the running game. There was a good portion of the tc scrimmage time devoted to working the run. Green looked good, as did Walker.

They also worked Slayton on kickoff returns. I thought he looked pretty good.

Remember my user name and take my report for what it is worth. BTW, it was nice meeting some more board members today. I got to sit with Obsiwan and Painekiller. And thanks to Gary (who EVERYONE knows) for the tickets.

J-Russ
07-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Everybody's favorite man, chipping in on today's practice.

Three players who are flying under the radar but are having excellent camps: running back Chris Taylor, defensive lineman Earl Cochran and receiver David Anderson.
Andre Johnson and Mario Williams, the two-best players on the team, continue to impress the heck out of me. Johnson has been catching everything in sight. Williams toys with linemen like a lion toying with a zebra. I can't wait for September when these two play for real.
One coach asked me to perhaps limit my constant praise of rookie cornerback Antwaun Molden. Okay, coach, let's see how I can put it. The kid is outstanding. He makes big plays in every practice. How's that? I could have called him extraordinary. I can't wait to watch Molden develop.

The more I watch Frank Okam, who is 6-5, 337, the more I like him. He moves well. He's extremely intelligent. And he's working hard. Now I'm wondering was it poor coaching last season at UT or did he just take off too many plays? Perhaps it's the coaching of Jethro Franklin and Frank Bush. Perhaps he'll hit the wall, or, when they play for real, he'll go back into his shell. Right now, Okam is a beast, but can he keep it up?

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/07/random_ruminations_on_training.html

ObsiWan
07-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I went to practice today. MW was just lighting it up. He was strong and fast coming off the edge. Green and Taylor had some really nice runs along with Steve S. McCoy had another nice day so did AJ not much again from JJ or AD. AD caught some. D Brown was able to provide some holes for the RBs. ES did ok as well at LT. Gabe Long looked really good. Leach did good. Molden did well again. Fred W. did not practice I don't know why. Matt threw well today.

Gary pretty much hit all the high points.

Chris Brown, Fred Weary, J.Jones, and Scott Jackson rode the exercise bikes for the 1st part of practice. As Gary said, Brown and Jones weren't a surprise. Jackson and Weary were. I could be that Weary is one of the vets that Kubiak said won't have to participate in every practice.

Gibbs was still in total Napoleon form again today, barking at everyone after almost every play. I did see something interesting; I saw Ephraim Salaam giving him lip in return. And Gibbs laughed about it. Its like when the Joker laughs. Its an eerie thing to witness and no good can come from it.

Back to seriousness... Boyd took the reigns with the third team and looked good at times. I think that guy has more zip on his ball than anyone this side of Schaub.

The O-line appeared to get the better of the D on most running plays. The RBs didn't get hit until they were at the LB level. Speaking of RBs, Walker and Green looked good again today as did Slaton. Slaton got to the edge on the defense on one play and kicked in the jets and no one on our roster could have caught him. Taylor played RB, FB, and even practiced as a KR. By the time they got to 11-on-11s Taylor looked to be dragging. To his credit, Taylor did everything he was asked.

Overall, I think the D-line got the better of the O-line on pass plays. At least when Mario was in. As Gary said, Mario was a beast all day. Cochran looks like he could step up and take ND's spot as Mario's backup. Weaver was a non-factor in the pass rush. Didn't see much of the DTs because of the way the ZBS works. Its just one big mass of humanity flowing right or left and it was hard for me to tell who was beating who in the trenches.

They did red zone drills today. I don't think the O scored but once or twice when the ball was placed at the 20. But they scored fairly repeatedly during the goalline drills. I don't know whether to be encouraged about the O or discouraged about our D where that is concerned.

Won't make it tomorrow but I will Thurs. evening.

gary
07-29-2008, 05:51 PM
They focussed alot on punt returns and on the running game today. YOU ARE VERY WELCOME GLASSHALFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gary
07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Gary pretty much hit all the high points.

Chris Brown, Fred Weary, J.Jones, and Scott Jackson rode the exercise bikes for the 1st part of practice. As Gary said, Brown and Jones weren't a surprise. Jackson and Weary were. I could be that Weary is one of the vets that Kubiak said won't have to participate in every practice.

Gibbs was still in total Napoleon form again today, barking at everyone after almost every play. I did see something interesting; I saw Ephraim Salaam giving him lip in return. And Gibbs laughed about it. Its like when the Joker laughs. Its an eerie thing to witness and no good can come from it.

Back to seriousness... Boyd took the reigns with the third team and looked good at times. I think that guy has more zip on his ball than anyone this side of Schaub.

The O-line appeared to get the better of the D on most running plays. The RBs didn't get hit until they were at the LB level. Speaking of RBs, Walker and Green looked good again today as did Slaton. Slaton got to the edge on the defense on one play and kicked in the jets and no one on our roster could have caught him. Taylor played RB, FB, and even practiced as a KR. By the time they got to 11-on-11s Taylor looked to be dragging. To his credit, Taylor did everything he was asked.

Overall, I think the D-line got the better of the O-line on pass plays. At least when Mario was in. As Gary said, Mario was a beast all day. Cochran looks like he could step up and take ND's spot as Mario's backup. Weaver was a non-factor in the pass rush. Didn't see much of the DTs because of the way the ZBS works. Its just one big mass of humanity flowing right or left and it was hard for me to tell who was beating who in the trenches.

They did red zone drills today. I don't think the O scored but once or twice when the ball was placed at the 20. But they scored fairly repeatedly during the goalline drills. I don't know whether to be encouraged about the O or discouraged about our D where that is concerned.

Won't make it tomorrow but I will Thurs. evening.I saw some passes Matt that could not have been thrown much better and they were not caught.

76Texan
07-29-2008, 06:03 PM
Sorry I din't have a chance to meet y'all.

All the RBs looked good.
Green with good spring in his legs. He looked darn good.
Walker doing what he does best and that is finding the hole.
Taylor was quite impressive. At this point, I really don't know who we should cut to make the 53-man roster as far as RB goes.
And Slaton was running inside, too!

A good, very good fair share of the successful running plays were to the left, where we were standing in the back of the endzone.

Not much in the passing game.

Well, yeah, Jacques Reeves had good coverage on Andre Davis on that one play, as tight as I've seen Reeves in coverage, so maybe there's hope there!:cool:

Thorn
07-29-2008, 06:11 PM
thanks again for all you guys posting your reports about training camp. It is appreciated from those of us who can't make it.

gary
07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
It is always good to have an RB that runs to the in and outside on your team. Walker did drop a pass that he should have made but no big deal. LOL.

J-Russ
07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
I hope the group of RB, especially Ahman, can atleast give us one good year. And give us time to find our feature back next year.

And I officially given up on Chris Brown. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

gary
07-29-2008, 06:29 PM
In camp Green does look like he has game left in him.

GuerillaBlack
07-29-2008, 06:30 PM
I hope the group of RB, especially Ahman, can atleast give us one good year. And give us time to find our feature back next year.

And I officially given up on Chris Brown. Sorry, you are the weakest link. Goodbye.

Word to this. Chris Brown is looking to be the odd-man out this year.

gary
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
If he is going to be like that we do not need him.

ObsiWan
07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
If he is going to be like that we do not need him.

Agreed.

Andrew6
07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
I guess I can throw in my very small amount of cents hell i'll even throw in 2 of them. sorry so late but I just woke up. I worked nights and went to the practice after work. so here we go
first off thank you to gary and painkiller for making sure I had tickets

- Gibbs called for lineman on a 2 on 2 drill and had D. Brown and C. Pitts practicing with first squad for about a a minute when D. Brown kept getting beat almost every play. He yelled at D. Brown and E. Salaam went in and kinda held his own. Salaam wasn't as easily beat but he's not near as strong either. He held his block but was on his heals most of the team trying to catch his balance.

-OL these are my favorite guys right here. Anyone who ever watched the Xmen knows who beast is. He's a big furry blue guy that is highly intelligent. That being said Most all of them looked like that. From what I could tell there is a battle here for a starting position that could be epic.

*LT I think right now should be E. Salaams and let D. Brown sit back and watch and learn a few games untill hes' ready.
*LG looks to be pretty much owned by a slimmer more athletic C. Pitts. He did fairly well excepting one or 2 reps.
*Center position my memory fails me and I don't remember the guys name but he lookd "decent" On the one and one drills he held his own most of the time but got beat horribly by a fluffy T. Johnson who gave him a slap on the shoulder pads and knocked the center off balance who immediately got pissed and was ready to go again.
*RG all I can say here is wow. I've never seen the depth and a battle for a starting position at this position before. Briesel I guess is his name looked pretty good and Weary whose backing him up looked like he's after that starting position bad. Not sure if he's ready but it doesn't seem like he's too far off from regaining control
*RT E. Winston is a giant of a man and honestly held his own almost every single play. Even when he was beat he was still not really beat. He was able to use his speed and knowledge of the game to reset and block the guy in front of him. Dare I say it but could we have a probowl lineman?

*TE I didn't pay too much attention to them just because I didn't think to. Heres what I did notice: Owen Daniels looks a little bigger and looks like he knows how to deliver a good block. Not entirely sure he's completely remember how to catch a ball though. There was one play with a TE who caught a ball during the end of practice and got a pretty good hit and heald on to the ball surprisingly, I want to say it was dressen? I could be wrong though.

The rest of the offense I guess I can put in another category.

-QB I wasn't exactly super impressed today. Sorry in advance to anyone wanting to know info on 3rd and 4th string I didn't look at either. Schaub looked like he was making good decisions and getting the ball out quick. The problem with him getting the ball out so quick is that it hardly landed on target or sometimes even close. The same could be said for Sage who just slightly more accurate. I think Schaubs problem could be cured by just having a little bit more repetitions.

-RB I was highly impressed at RB. Slaton looked alot bigger than I remember him in college and could possibly be more than a 3rd down back. Ahman Green looked hmmm whats the word, hmmm good . . . no no ummmmm ohhh yeah Fing GREAT. He looked strong, powerfull and FAST. (I am going to start praying now. " Dear god, Please keep A. Green Healthy). Ok, moving on. My favorite running back due to him being the long shot is D. Walker. He looked "good" not great but good. He didn't have Ahmans speed burst or power or size but he did have something Ahman didn't. He had a lower center of gravity and was able to find holes when there didn't seem to be any. I think D. Walker could be something special.
-FB V. Leach isn't going any where. As far as Taylor I'm going to just say that I didn't really pay attention to him or didn't see him one or the other.

-WR
* A. Johnson - best we have no change. He looked good. Big, strong and fast.
* K. Walter - didn't see him on many plays but when I did he looked decent and looks to be more of a short yardage receiver who can take a hit. Basiclly the guy that catches for around 10 yards and then gets lit up.
* A. Davis - He made a few good plays and had a couple mistakes. He got owned by Reeves on one play.
* there was one WR on special teams that looked decent. I guess he's a draft pick or something. Anyways he looked like he had potential.

I think thats all for offense?

I'll start with some Defense now.

DL first string looked good, second and thirds string showed flashes. Mario like always looked like a beast and Amobi looked like him and Mario are learning to really work well with each other. Everyone on the DL looks like they kinda slimmed down excepting Travis Johnson of course. # 92 who if I was actually not just waking up I could actually remember his name looked like he could be something special. Also maddox looked fairly quick off the ball, thinner and more athletic.

Other than the DL I didn't honestly see too much more as far as the LBing unit and the secondary.
The only thing I saw was towards the end of practice and that was when Reeves made a great block on A. Davis. Sorry folks I am sure that someone else can fill in this section

gary
07-29-2008, 07:20 PM
On the drills Brown did get beat but he provided some holes when both sides faced off against each other.

gary
07-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Like I said Matt threw some passes that were dropped.

Hagar
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Word to this. Chris Brown is looking to be the odd-man out this year.Why would he want to be odd man out?

gary
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM
He probably does not but he sure is acting like he does.

alphajoker
07-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the update Andrew!

RT E. Winston is a giant of a man and honestly held his own almost every single play. Even when he was beat he was still not really beat. He was able to use his speed and knowledge of the game to reset and block the guy in front of him. Dare I say it but could we have a probowl lineman?

I can totally see Winston making the Pro Bowl. This OL has proven they can pass protect by only allowing 22 sacks last year, but now it's time they get recognized for their run blocking as well. Once that happens, I can almost guarantee Winston makes a Pro Bowl this year.

# 92 who if I was actually not just waking up I could actually remember his name looked like he could be something special. Also maddox looked fairly quick off the ball, thinner and more athletic.

#92 was Zgonina who I really like having on the team. He brings a lot of experience and leadership which this young DL needs.

Texans_Fan59
07-29-2008, 11:11 PM
"My favorite running back due to him being the long shot is D. Walker. He looked "good" not great but good. He didn't have Ahmans speed burst or power or size but he did have something Ahman didn't. He had a lower center of gravity and was able to find holes when there didn't seem to be any. I think D. Walker could be something speial"

i couldnt agree more, except for maybe the just good part. from what i could tell he seem to always come up would a nice run. for those who said darius would be the odd man out. dont think so. especially if c. brown continues to be to hurt practice.

Andrew6
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the update Andrew!

I can totally see Winston making the Pro Bowl. This OL has proven they can pass protect by only allowing 22 sacks last year, but now it's time they get recognized for their run blocking as well. Once that happens, I can almost guarantee Winston makes a Pro Bowl this year.

#92 was Zgonina who I really like having on the team. He brings a lot of experience and leadership which this young DL needs.

no problem, Zgonia looked like a freak. If he has more than just show muscles he can be something special. Then again I thought that last year too and never saw anything come of it.

painekiller
07-29-2008, 11:42 PM
How do you underthrow a slant Mr. Kubiak?

I was was talking about the deep passes.

painekiller
07-30-2008, 12:03 AM
First off, great to meet the local celebs this morning. Not much to add to the reports of Gary and Andrew (Your Welcome).

Only a few things to add, Studdard had a play where he decked the DT with a huge hand punch. But on the next play he was toasted by the same guy.

During the battle of the beast, OL vs DL drills, the offense won some and the defense won some. What does that mean, the players are really battling. 2 on 2 was fun to watch the stunts.

After the OL completed there unit drills, I watched the players and Gibbs interact. A funny site considering Gibbs is kinda short and these guys are huge. Gibbs and the players where cutting up and you could see they had a chemistry. Pitts seems to be becoming a more vocal leader and Winston is having a great camp.

UDFA to watch - Nading had another solid day.

Andrew6
07-30-2008, 03:42 AM
"My favorite running back due to him being the long shot is D. Walker. He looked "good" not great but good. He didn't have Ahmans speed burst or power or size but he did have something Ahman didn't. He had a lower center of gravity and was able to find holes when there didn't seem to be any. I think D. Walker could be something speial"

i couldnt agree more, except for maybe the just good part. from what i could tell he seem to always come up would a nice run. for those who said darius would be the odd man out. dont think so. especially if c. brown continues to be to hurt practice.

the reason I put good and not great with d. Walker is he had some Ron Dayne tendancys. When he could have stayed on his feet and got some more yards he opted for the fall forward for 2 or 3 yards. While thats fine if you only need a few yards its not fine when a hole is wide open and you can get another 20 yards. I think he's doing good and I hope to see him improve. I've always liked his Klingon abilities and hope he can someday find a starting role on this team.

ObsiWan
07-30-2008, 05:31 AM
the reason I put good and not great with d. Walker is he had some Ron Dayne tendancys. When he could have stayed on his feet and got some more yards he opted for the fall forward for 2 or 3 yards. While thats fine if you only need a few yards its not fine when a hole is wide open and you can get another 20 yards. I think he's doing good and I hope to see him improve. I've always liked his Klingon abilities and hope he can someday find a starting role on this team.

Gibbs got on him about that Sunday morning. I could actually hear Gibbs from the stands telling (yelling) Walker "Don't go down like that; you gotta run thru those hands! You gotta run THRU those hands!"

Gibbs in action is something to see. I think the press is lucky that he doesn't talk to them. He'd have McClain doing pushups for every stupid question before the interview was over.

GuerillaBlack
07-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Gibbs got on him about that Sunday morning. I could actually hear Gibbs from the stands telling (yelling) Walker "Don't go down like that; you gotta run thru those hands! You gotta run THRU those hands!"

Gibbs in action is something to see. I think the press is lucky that he doesn't talk to them. He'd have McClain doing pushups for every stupid question before the interview was over.

This would be beneficial to McClain. ;)

But I'm probably going to TC this Saturday. Hope to hear a fired up Gibbs.

Malloy
07-30-2008, 06:33 AM
Could someone film a bit of video of Gibbs in action and upload it or something, would be awesome to experience :)

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I am at the practice right now. Andre got a 45 yarder down the sideline for 6

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:24 AM
...And then rosenfels to Walter for a 35 yard strike.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Now its field goal time, not much action

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
For some reason Adibi isn't suited up along with Thompson.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:48 AM
If you get a chance ti come u..... Wait molden was on dre and play the ball perfectly on a 15 yard slant , tipped it to brown and then to colvin for the int. What a play by molden!!!

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Passing offense is looking pretty nice today with the wind at their backs, in the team scrimmage.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 09:57 AM
If you get a chance ti come u..... Wait molden was on dre and play the ball perfectly on a 15 yard slant , tipped it to brown and then to colvin for the int. What a play by molden!!!

What is was saying before that play is if you come out here, make it to the back fence by the goalpost to watch the line and their pass rush drills. It was awesome to watch. Colvin didn't really impress me though...

Polo
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the play by play...

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 09:59 AM
What is was saying before that play is if you come out here, make it to the back fence by the goalpost to watch the line and their pass rush drills. It was awesome to watch. Colvin didn't really impress me though...

Thanks for the input, Shaft. I'm stuck at work.

Keep'em coming if you don't mind. +Rep

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Practice ended early today at a little after 10 am. Which usually is a reward for good work.

I will give more info when I can get off of this blackberry

76Texan
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I didn't get to go to TC today.
Just want to add something about yesterday.

There's a different benefit watching from the endzone during the scrimmage.

We had several outside zone runs to the LT side.
Salaam and Brown, they both did good sealing off the inside, allowing the runners to get to the next level with ease.

Once there, Green and Slaton have the percentage of breaking loose more than Taylor and Walker.

We'll wait for more report from Shaft and whoever attend today's session! :fans:

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
A little hard to post on here with the blackberry, but I did want to share some of the things I saw.

I was impressed by our passing offense. The qb's and wr's looked as if they were starting to gel very nicely. Walter made a couple of nice grabs, one deep and a couple of stop routes on some play action passes. AJ was his typical self. He made a really nice grab going up the right sideline. Bennett had decent coverage, but AJ found a way to reel it in. Kevin Walter felt he was being held by Bennett on a go route with Fred Bennett covering him and I guess he was griping to the camp official, because shortly after Jon Hoke yelled at him "Oh come on Walter, you pushed off... Get your ass back in the huddle and quit complaining..." Pretty funny. You have to love the competitive spirit, especially a db coach yelling at a wr.

Antwaun Molden continues to impress. He was always step for step with his man. He jumped AJ's slant and cause an int, and yeah I said Andre FREAKING Johnson. It was one hell of a play for a 3rd round rookie out of Eastern Kentucky.

I continued to watch Moffitt, because I have been pulling for him. He looked a little worn out today and got caught up on some running plays and looked slow getting back for the pass. He didn't really impress me too much today. Okam got driven a couple of times too. He needs to get lower, but he also might have been exhausted.

Seriously if you go to a practice, walk down to watch the lineman battle it out on the opposite field. It was my favorite part of practice. Not only do you get to see the big uglies battle each other, but you get the added benefit of listening to Joe Gibbs and Jethro Franklin yell at everyone around. Rosey didn't really impress me in that drill. He was going against Rashad Butler and got blocked each time. I don't think he was going full speed, but it was still disappointing.

Ahman Green broke a couple of nice runs off and so did Slaton. And Chris Taylor got his daily dose of being decleated by a member of the defense. I couldn't see who it was, but I did hear the uproar from the crowd and players, and saw him getting up off the turf.

Practice ended early at about 10:15. I think Kubiak saw a good days work from the players and rewarded them. I will be there Thursday night too, so I will post some observations from that.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 01:00 PM
AJ was his typical self. He made a really nice grab going up the right sideline. Bennett had decent coverage, but AJ found a way to reel it in.

OOPS! I guess I was wrong about this one!

http://texansbullpen.com/08photogallery/Preseason/2008-07-30-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0045.JPG

gary
07-30-2008, 01:04 PM
They worked on FG kicking today Kris Brown made all of them. MS made a TD strike to AJ. They both had nice day. MW continued his good play. No noise from JJ. DB Molden made one outstanding play and an IT as Shaft said. RB did well there was one play and I foregot who the RB was but he had some nice blocking and he was able to make a nice run out of it now that I think about it there were really a few plays like that.

GlassHalfFull
07-30-2008, 01:10 PM
OOPS! I guess I was wrong about this one!

http://texansbullpen.com/08photogallery/Preseason/2008-07-30-TrainingCamp/Photos/DSC_0045.JPG

Yes, that catch unfolded right in front of us. Bennett got burned for sure on that play, but it iwas AJ, so I didn't feel too bad about Bennett.

This is the problem with watching training camp and really delineates the optimists from the pessimists. The naysayers see that play and say, the defense sucked. The optimists see it and are pleased with the offense. :glasshalffull: is the way I look at it.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, that catch unfolded right in front of us. Bennett got burned for sure on that play, but it iwas AJ, so I didn't feel too bad about Bennett.

This is the problem with watching training camp and really delineates the optimists from the pessimists. The naysayers see that play and say, the defense sucked. The optimists see it and are pleased with the offense. :glasshalffull: is the way I look at it.

Better to happen on a Wednesday morning, than a Sunday afternoon!

gary
07-30-2008, 01:27 PM
I guess AJ is a little bit faster than Bennet. LOL.

J-Russ
07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the report shaft. You wrote all of those on a blackberry? God, thats dedication right there!

Polo
07-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the report Shaft...

But...

Why not trust your eyes over a still shot ?

If in real time you thought Bennett had decent coverage, he probably did...This photo only shows less than a second of action of an entire play...

If your eyes initially told you Bennett had decent coverage on the play, then the picture probably is a bit decieving as to how his coverage was prior to that split second snap shot...

JMO...

bignasty
07-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Bennet also gave up the 35 yarder to Walters but he was blanketing him and Walters just pulled in a perfectly thrown ball.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the report Shaft...

But...

Why not trust your eyes over a still shot ?

If in real time you thought Bennett had decent coverage, he probably did...This photo only shows less than a second of action of an entire play...

If your eyes initially told you Bennett had decent coverage on the play, then the picture probably is a bit decieving as to how his coverage was prior to that split second snap shot...

JMO...

It just shows how well Andre can kick on the burners and create separation. I did have a view from behind when he caught the ball, so from my perspective they looked very close to each other. But either way, it was a good play to watch!

Wolf
07-30-2008, 02:20 PM
It just shows how well Andre can kick on the burners and create separation. I did have a view from behind when he caught the ball, so from my perspective they looked very close to each other. But either way, it was a good play to watch!

brando made a animated gif of that from the training camp photos page
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums//showpost.php?p=962097&postcount=46

If that is the play you were talking about

gary
07-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Bennet was covering well AJ just made a great catch and the ball came right to him.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 02:28 PM
Bennet was covering well AJ just made a great catch and the ball came right to him.

So we can give some kudos to the Schaubster too. Actually from the photos it appears to be one of the best looking deep balls I've seen from Schaub.

RTP2110
07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
I was there as well, but it looks like most of the highlights have been mentioned.

- The long pass to AJ was the very 1st play of 11 on 11's.
- Chris Brown was MIA again.
- Molden was outstanding!
- Sage made a bunch of nice throws. He really found the holes in the coverages, and made accurate throws.
- There was alot of 1st team vs 1st team at the end. Bennett & Reeves were
the 1st team CB's

painekiller
07-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I guess AJ is a little bit faster than Bennet. LOL.

AJ beat Bennett at the line on the jam and Bennett never was close, had the throw not had so much air under it Bennett would not have been in the photo (OK he was not that bad, but he was beat bad).

We where oooohhhhhhhing as the AJ got his step.

Hoke had a chat with Bennett after that one.

BTW in the NFL 2 steps is beat bad, a step is considered wide open. A window is open.

gary
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
So we can give some kudos to the Schaubster too. Actually from the photos it appears to be one of the best looking deep balls I've seen from Schaub.

:texflag:Give some kudos to Matt.:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

RTP2110
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I meant to add this,

Andre Johnson is game ready right now. I don't see any reason for him to play in the preseason. I'd say give him 1 quarter in the 3rd game and that's it. That guy just goes out there and does whatever he wants.

gary
07-30-2008, 02:47 PM
AJ beat Bennett at the line on the jam and Bennett never was close, had the throw not had so much air under it Bennett would not have been in the photo (OK he was not that bad, but he was beat bad).

We where oooohhhhhhhing as the AJ got his step.

Hoke had a chat with Bennett after that one.

BTW in the NFL 2 steps is beat bad, a step is considered wide open. A window is open.So he is faster.

Toro59
07-30-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/7756.jpg

Brisiel's nose is looking nice...

gary
07-30-2008, 03:55 PM
It does not look all that bad.

painekiller
07-30-2008, 04:28 PM
So he is faster.

Sorry, my quoting you made it appear like I was calling you out. Not all, I was trying to add to the topic. And you are correct AJ is faster.

Sorry for not specifying that to begin with, I had intended to.

gary
07-30-2008, 04:31 PM
No problem.

GP
07-30-2008, 04:51 PM
...Ahman Green broke a couple of nice runs off and so did Slaton. And Chris Taylor got his daily dose of being decleated by a member of the defense. I couldn't see who it was, but I did hear the uproar from the crowd and players, and saw him getting up off the turf...

Taylor needs to have a good set of preseason games if he's going to continue to be highlight material for our defense every day of training camp. Maybe I'm being a bit knee-jerky here (who, me? LOL)...but I seem to hear good things about Ahman and Slaton, neutral things about Walker, and so-so things about Taylor and Brown.

Doesn't it seem that each day we hear about Taylor getting plastered by our defender? You don't envision a guy (who might get time at FB) getting owned each day. I don't know that FB is his niche, and maybe his reps at FB has been a big clue all along that room on the roster for Taylor is hard to carve out right now--We know Kubiak is keeping more RBs this season, so I suspect that Taylor at backup FB (potentially) is an attempt to keep a guy on board in case two other RBs go down with injury. Just thinking out loud, since we tend to try and predict the depth chart on RBs.

Thanks again to those who are bringing in the reports. Ya'll are the best.

HJam72
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but getting decleated daily doesn't seem to bode well for his chances as a FB.

Polo
07-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Last year when I was at Camp Vonta got cleaned up by Dunta.......Twice...

Lil 'Ol dunta was smackin him around like Vonta shoulda been callin him daddy...

GP
07-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but getting decleated daily doesn't seem to bode well for his chances as a FB.

LOL! While you were posting that, I had been re-typing my previous post and said the SAME thing.

I think Taylor might have some dark clouds hanging over him the further we go into training camp. But I bet he makes the roster at backup FB. Tradition seems to say that a rookie gets put on the PS, to keep 'em around so they can learn and grow while older veterans are getting their shot(s). But I think Slaton is positioning himself nicely for #2 if he has a good preseason game or two.

And that's going to make Darius Walker a tough case to judge.

My thoughts right now:

1. Ahman, if healthy, is going to be the starter.

2. Slaton and Walker will be the #2 and #3 guys, most likely making the active roster.

3. Taylor at backup FB

4. Chris Brown gets cut.

(Or, Slaton gets assigned to PS...but would he clear waivers? I doubt it.)

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Geez, two good hits on him out of 100+ carries and all of a sudden his potential roster spot is being questioned?? Yeah, I'd say knee jerk. :cool:

If you go back through this entire thread, Taylor has been mentioned in the top three after every practice.

Saturday morning I saw Ahman get jacked up. What does that mean? Umm....nothing. :thinking:

If some of y'all need to have knee jerk reactions to get you by for the day look no further than Chris Brown. The dude's only been to 2 days of practice, yet we rip a dude that has been going balls out since day one at multiple positions.Plus special teams.

:gun:

Toro59
07-30-2008, 05:13 PM
not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, but does any one know what running backs the texans will be trying out tommorow? I know Mike Bell is one.

Toro59
07-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Geez, two good hits on him out of 100+ carries and all of a sudden his potential roster spot is being questioned?? Yeah, I'd say knee jerk. :cool:

If you go back through this entire thread, Taylor has been mentioned in the top three after every practice.

Saturday morning I saw Ahman get jacked up. What does that mean? Umm....nothing. :thinking:

If some of y'all need to have knee jerk reactions to get you by for the day look no further than Chris Brown. The dude's only been to 2 days of practice, yet we rip a dude that has been going balls out since day one at multiple positions.Plus special teams.

:gun:

I'm not agreeing with it but isn't that what a forum is for??? To voice your opinion...idonno:

The Pencil Neck
07-30-2008, 05:21 PM
My thoughts right now:

1. Ahman, if healthy, is going to be the starter.

2. Slaton and Walker will be the #2 and #3 guys, most likely making the active roster.

3. Taylor at backup FB

4. Chris Brown gets cut.

(Or, Slaton gets assigned to PS...but would he clear waivers? I doubt it.)

First off, no way Slaton gets assigned to PS. He won't clear waivers.

But, yeah, before TC, I thought that Green, Brown, and Slaton were locks for RB and Leach and Cook were our FB's. I thought that we might keep one more RB and I thought it was going to be Walker.

But... now, I agree with you. We have Green, Slaton, and Walker as RBs and we cut Brown. We have Leach and Taylor for our FBs and we cut Cook.

At least, that's what I'm getting from the eyewitnesses. :thinking:

HJam72
07-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Nobody's axing Taylor. It just brings up questions, that's all--and, yes, I'm much more worried about Brown even making the team.

Lucky
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
- There was alot of 1st team vs 1st team at the end. Bennett & Reeves were
the 1st team CB's
Who is playing the slot receiver with the first team nickel? This question is for anyone who has been at the open practices.

gary
07-30-2008, 05:39 PM
I left a little early.

Shaft75
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Who is playing the slot receiver with the first team nickel? This question is for anyone who has been at the open practices.

I have seen Owen split out wide with Walter in the slot. AD and AJ and David Anderson have all played in the slot. I think that it's mostly Andre Davis though. They move guys around a lot. I like Shanahan's style thus far.

gary
07-30-2008, 06:19 PM
AD should be the main guy in slot IMO.

RTP2110
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Earlier in practice they had Molden and Reeves outside, and Bennett in the nickel. I mentioned to the man next to me that I thought Reeves would have been in the nickel slot.

It makes it seem like the coaches have Reeves starting with Molden and Bennett fight for the #2 spot. I guess we'll see.

Vinny
07-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Earlier in practice they had Molden and Reeves outside, and Bennett in the nickel. I mentioned to the man next to me that I thought Reeves would have been in the nickel slot.

It makes it seem like the coaches have Reeves starting with Molden and Bennett fight for the #2 spot. I guess we'll see.
Dunta was in the slot quite a bit early in his career as Capers took advantage of his hitting ability sending him in to blitz fairly often. Perhaps we'll see Bennett in this same type of role when we shift to nick packages.

New_Texans
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
i havent heard anything about DeMeco.

drewmar74
07-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Dunta was in the slot quite a bit early in his career as Capers took advantage of his hitting ability sending him in to blitz fairly often. Perhaps we'll see Bennett in this same type of role when we shift to nick packages.

Now that would be an exciting little wrinkle.

ObsiWan
07-30-2008, 07:13 PM

A.D.

gary
07-30-2008, 07:56 PM
i havent heard anything about DeMeco.He really has not done anything that special yet.

HJam72
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
He really has not done anything that special yet.

Well....I guess we're gonna havta cut Demeco. :jk:

Hardcore Texan
07-30-2008, 09:00 PM
He really has not done anything that special yet.

I guess that just goes to show us that we can only observe and guess so much from TC because we all know what a stud Demeco is and we know his value. The most telling part has got to be the battle for the depth, or the new FA signings. Kubiak needs those guys to prove it, rookies and "new" vets you got to show what you can do to earn a place on the squad.