PDA

View Full Version : Rod Smith Retires

PapaL
07-25-2008, 07:10 AM
I always liked this guy. I'm glad to see that he was smart enough to know football doesn't last forever and that while it hurts to leave the game he know's he left it better then when he got in it. Class A - WR; Rod Smith.

Bronco Smith retires after 12 years in NFL, Super Bowl wins; Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504198)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos receiver Rod Smith broke out a pair of dark, designer shades and his two Super Bowl rings for the occasion, wearing one on each hand.

The rings were a reminder of what once was, the shades to hide the tears.

mith stepped into a room full of family, friends and teammates Thursday and announced his NFL career was done.

He tried to tell a joke to start things off, but his usual wisecracks failed him. Instead, he pulled a tissue from his pocket and dabbed at his eyes.

Saying farewell wasn't easy.

"I gave them everything I had," Smith said as he choked up while announcing his retirement.

For that, Broncos president and CEO Pat Bowlen was truly appreciative, calling Smith the best Broncos player not named John Elway that he's ever had play for him.

"If I ever get anybody like you or like John again, I'm going

to be very fortunate," Bowlen said....

HoustonFrog
07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I always liked this guy. I'm glad to see that he was smart enough to know football doesn't last forever and that while it hurts to leave the game he know's he left it better then when he got in it. Class A - WR; Rod Smith.

Bronco Smith retires after 12 years in NFL, Super Bowl wins; Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3504198)

Good guy who piled up numbers while keeping to himself. Every year he played his tail off. A fantasy stud for years too.

HOU-TEX
07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Good guy who piled up numbers while keeping to himself. Every year he played his tail off. A fantasy stud for years too.

Yep, and another reason not to write off UDFA's and late round picks. I liked his game. It has been said he's now mentoring Marshall. I hope he's successful because Marshall (baby TO) has the talent to be a great WR. :cool:

painekiller
07-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Wonder if Kubiak tries to bring him in as a coach in the future?

Goldensilence
07-28-2008, 12:00 AM

Would love that to happen but I can hear the cries of some of the fan base here.....we hate being Denver 2.0 or being associated with any other team then our own.

Blazing Arrow
07-28-2008, 02:21 AM
Titans have been burned by too many WRs no way they even look at him.

Carr Bombed
07-28-2008, 02:27 AM
Titans have been burned by too many WRs no way they even look at him.

Might as well, y'all dug up Eric Moulds even after it was obvious he was toast, hell might as well call up Terry Glenn too....both those guys would be a improvement on your team.

PapaL
07-28-2008, 07:34 AM
Might as well, y'all dug up Eric Moulds even after it was obvious he was toast, hell might as well call up Terry Glenn too....both those guys would be a improvement on your team.

Maybe they could pick up Vinny T. and Keyshaw and relive the old days...

rmartin65
07-28-2008, 09:10 AM

That would be awesome. I think that would be a great move.

The Dream
07-28-2008, 11:26 AM
one of the best receivers of his era, and underrated as hell...........great career Mr. Smith!!!

Ryan
07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Haha i already thought he retired. He must have been keeping a low profile the last couple of years. He had a great career nonetheless.