PDA

View Full Version : Mario #2 in USA Today's top 5 active DE

IlliniJen
07-24-2008, 12:28 AM
USA Today is doing an NFL top 5 segment that rates the top 5 at each position among active NFLers and NFLers of the superbowl era.

Mario comes in at #2 just below Jared Allen for current DEs!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-07-15-top-five-defensive-ends_N.htm

whiskeyrbl
07-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Then that means he ranks as #1 in the AFC.

PapaL
07-24-2008, 06:53 AM
USA Today is doing an NFL top 5 segment that rates the top 5 at each position among active NFLers and NFLers of the superbowl era.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-07-15-top-five-defensive-ends_N.htm

Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora

texan pride
07-24-2008, 08:31 AM
He'll be #1 by the end of the season!!!

GuerillaBlack
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora

roffles.

PapaL
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora

I know I wrote it but still - BlaHAHAHA.

(For those that don't know what that is in reference to Google: Osi Umenyiora Girl)

alphajoker
07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Anyone else notice that a certain running back didn't even get a vote in the RB rankings?

Mike Kerns
07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Anyone else notice that a certain running back didn't even get a vote in the RB rankings?

If youre talking about who I think youre talking about, I noticed that as well. Now that all the commercials and hype have died down surrounding him, you are seeing and hearing a lot more people eating crow...myself included.

TexansMVP
07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
It's just amazing to see how the media can make a 180 on their perception of Mario.

Hopefully this time next season, we'll see Amobi on some of those top 5 list.

Texans_Chick
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM

Nice. And personally, I'd rather have Williams versus Allen on my team. (youth, no off field misadventures).

nero THE zero
07-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Very nice.

As a side, Andre Johnson only got one vote for the WRs. Larry Fitzgeral, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, and Marques Colston were all ahead of him. Can't say I agree with that at all. And Braylon Edwards and Torry Holt were tied with him. Sheesh.

Mike Kerns
07-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Very nice.

As a side, Andre Johnson only got one vote for the WRs. Larry Fitzgeral, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, and Marques Colston were all ahead of him. Can't say I agree with that at all. And Braylon Edwards and Torry Holt were tied with him. Sheesh.

I know what you mean. After last season the national media has dubbed Andre as injury prone, which is completely unfair. Oh well, this one I know will have no problem being proved wrong.

Porky
07-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Only one vote for AJ bing a top 5 WR? :foottap:

ChampionTexan
07-24-2008, 10:31 AM
The good news is we currently have 3 players that are consistently showing up on lists such as this one.

Mario's #2 on this list. Earlier, Pete Prisco of Sportsline ranked his top 50 NFL players, and Mario was the #1 DE (#6 overall). PFW's season preview included both a top 50 overall ranking as well as rankings by position - they had Mario the #2 DE - again behind Jared Allen, and #22 overall (Which to be honest, I believe is more accurate than #6).

Prisco had AJ ranked #26 which put him at #4 among WR's, and PFW also put AJ at #26 overall which in their rankings translated to #5 among WR's. Call it the homer in me, but I agree with those saying 1 vote for Andre being among the top 5 is ludicrous.

Demeco is also starting to show up in these things, and I think only one vote in the USA Today list is the about as bad as AJ only getting one. (and in 2008, you don't know what you're talking about if you rate Ray Lewis as top 5). Demeco was a "Just Missed" in Prisco's top 50, and #49 overall in PFW's list. PFW had him at #3 among inside LB's (behind Urlacher and Lofa Tatupu), and #6 among all LB's (putting Outside LB's DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman and Jason Taylor ahead of him).

I would guess that if we finally get that winning record in 2008 (especially if that translates to a playoff appearance), you could see folks like Okoye, Daniels, Schaub, Winston, and maybe even a complete surprise or two on this list next year.

alphajoker
07-24-2008, 10:39 AM
I would guess that if we finally get that winning record in 2008 (especially if that translates to a playoff appearance), you could see folks like Okoye, Daniels, Schaub, Winston, and maybe even a complete surprise or two on this list next year.

Yep, respectability and lack of anonymity is just a winning record and playoff berth away. :fans:

gary
07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Yep, respectability and lack of anonymity is just a winning record and playoff berth away. :fans:Agree.:fans: :fans: :fans:

Hookem Horns
07-24-2008, 11:27 AM

You mean the one that has more commercials than rushing yards?

Goldensilence
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Very nice.

I can see reason for the other 4 ahead but...Marques Colston? Reggie Wayne at this point is better then Marvin and He's about in the same about as AJ quiet, from the U but goes out and does his thing very well. Should've made the list.

Why are people pointing out that RB who plays in N.O. without a mention of a certain QB not getting any votes either? :heh:

gary
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
MC ahead of AJ. Unreal.

Seņor Stan
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora

That's what she said!

-Michael Scott

Texecutioner
07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
I saw a rankings where Sporting News had Mario at #10. I thought he would be ranked above that.

IlliniJen
07-24-2008, 01:06 PM
MC ahead of AJ. Unreal.

I know, right? I can't wait for a health QB and AJ to show everyone what a beast AJ is. Last year he would have blown up, but his injury stopped that.

AJ to me is TO w/o the attitude. I want him to have one of those years you know he is capable of having and deserves, now that he's got a couple QBs with testosterone to hang in the pocket and deliver him the ball.2

gary
07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
I saw a rankings where Sporting News had Mario at #10. I thought he would be ranked above that. Me too I think that he should at least be nine and up.

nero THE zero
07-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I can see reason for the other 4 ahead but...Marques Colston? Reggie Wayne at this point is better then Marvin and He's about in the same about as AJ quiet, from the U but goes out and does his thing very well. Should've made the list.

Why are people pointing out that RB who plays in N.O. without a mention of a certain QB not getting any votes either? :heh:

Reggie Wayne is ahead of Harrison on the list. I just listed the players ahead of AJ I disagreed with. I could have included TO in that list but I can see why he would be ranked ahead of AJ, even if I wouldn't do so myself.

False Start
07-24-2008, 01:18 PM
Ain't this some shit?

Sincerely,
Osi Umenyiora

That was the first thing that popped into my head ........ not exactly that, but I was thinking Osi would have beef with it .

gary
07-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I know, right? I can't wait for a health QB and AJ to show everyone what a beast AJ is. Last year he would have blown up, but his injury stopped that.

AJ to me is TO w/o the attitude. I want him to have one of those years you know he is capable of having and deserves, now that he's got a couple QBs with testosterone to hang in the pocket and deliver him the ball.2He doesn't even come close to what AJ does out there on that field.

eriadoc
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
I can't think of a single WR I'd rather have than AJ. There are a couple that are equivalent, but none are superior, IMO.

gary
07-24-2008, 01:33 PM
I can't think of a single WR I'd rather have than AJ. There are a couple that are equivalent, but none are superior, IMO.But MC better than AJ?

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 01:52 PM
He doesn't even come close to what AJ does out there on that field.

Dude what are you talking about? TO one season last year, at age 33, was better then ANY season AJ ever put up. If you look at his stats, it is AJ that the one that doesn't even come close to TO.

Don't get me wrong, AJ my boy; and I get that he had Carr in the past and a crappy o-line, etc. But so far, he has NOT done anything to warrant being consider a top 5 receiver. So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.

There shouldn't be anything holding him back this year, so next off-season, he's either consider a top 5 receivers or he's not, it'll depend on him and his health. He got all the tools and is surrounded by good talents/coaches to succeed though.

austintexanite
07-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Hopefully he continues progress and we can make the playoffs. Dre should be in the top five, but I think his injury is what led to some people forgetting just how great of a reciever he is.

gary
07-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Dude what are you talking about? TO one season last year, at age 33, was better then ANY season AJ ever put up. If you look at his stats, it is AJ that the one that doesn't even come close to TO.

Don't get me wrong, AJ my boy; and I get that he had Carr in the past and a crappy o-line, etc. But so far, he has NOT done anything to warrant being consider a top 5 receiver. So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.

There shouldn't be anything holding him back this year, so next off-season, he's either consider a top 5 receivers or he's not, it'll depend on him and his health. He got all the tools and is surrounded by good talents/coaches to succeed though.You are talking about TO we are talking about MC.

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 02:08 PM

AJ to me is TO w/o the attitude. I want him to have one of those years you know he is capable of having and deserves, now that he's got a couple QBs with testosterone to hang in the pocket and deliver him the ball.2

My mistake, I saw your quote and thought you were talking about TO. But what I still meant what I said. So far, AJ has the potential to be a top 5 receivers, but the media can't just claim he is, just off of 9 games last year, or what they saw on the field when he had Carr the years before. That all just potential. He needs to start producing before he can get up there, though.

gary
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
My mistake, I saw your quote and thought you were talking about TO. But what I still meant what I said. So far, AJ has the potential to be a top 5 receivers, but the media can't just claim he is, just off of 9 games last year, or what they saw on the field when he had Carr the years before. That all just potential. He needs to start producing before he can get up there, though.Agree, and I think he'll prove himself this season as long as he does not get hurt.

IlliniJen
07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
My mistake, I saw your quote and thought you were talking about TO. But what I still meant what I said. So far, AJ has the potential to be a top 5 receivers, but the media can't just claim he is, just off of 9 games last year, or what they saw on the field when he had Carr the years before. That all just potential. He needs to start producing before he can get up there, though.

I think they are similiar in their skills and styles.

Unfortunately, AJ has been hampered by Carr and injuries, whereas TO has had capable to very good QBs winging the ball to him. I don't think AJ has "potential," I think he has the complete package already and is just waiting for talent on the throwing-side of the ball to be consistent.

ChampionTexan
07-24-2008, 02:23 PM

There shouldn't be anything holding him back this year, so next off-season, he's either consider a top 5 receivers or he's not, it'll depend on him and his health. He got all the tools and is surrounded by good talents/coaches to succeed though.

I realize it's subject to debate, and nothing's cut and dry, but Sporting News, PFW and Pete Prisco at Sportsline.com all currently put AJ in the top 5 WR's, so it's not an unrealistic opinion or simply the result of folks being on AJ's nuts.

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Well, that's great then. But if that's true, then he is overrated, IMO.

Remember, there was a site that rated Mario at #6 overall player. Did you think he deserve that rating after one good season, and only half a dominate season?

PapaL
07-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Not done anything? He made the ProBowl with David Carr as his QB; David "freaking" Carr. He had a great season on one knee last year.

infantrycak
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
So everyone need to get off AJ nuts, and wait till he proves he can produce as much as the other top receivers before you crown his ***.

Prove he can produce? Well how about:

6.7 receptions per game - 3rd in the league
94.6 yards per game - 1st in the league
.88 TD's per game - 4th in the league

I'd say the proof is already in.

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 02:40 PM
Not done anything? He made the ProBowl with David Carr as his QB; David "freaking" Carr. He had a great season on one knee last year.

On 9 games.

He never produced more then 1,150 yards, and never had over 15 YPC, and he also never had double digit TDs. I know he got the skills and talent, that why he was 3rd overall selection in the draft. He just haven't put in the numbers yet, and although that might not be his fault, that just how it goes.

ChampionTexan
07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, that's great then. But if that's true, then he is overrated, IMO.

Remember, there was a site that rated Mario at #6 overall player. Did you think he deserve that rating after one good season, and only half a dominate season?

I agree that Mario isn't the #6 overall player in the NFL, and if you'd read my posts, you would have realized I already said that.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid - I'm just saying so are the other opinions on this board.

Dread-Head
07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
It's on baby...it's on! It's on (pronounced as OWN) like NECKBONES!! Bring the pain baby! Bring the pain!

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree that Mario isn't the #6 overall player in the NFL, and if you'd read my posts, you would have realized I already said that.

I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid - I'm just saying so are the other opinions on this board.

True

And I wasn't bringing up Mario against you, it was meant to be an example to show how media can overrate someone, sometimes.

gtexan02
07-24-2008, 02:43 PM
AJs biggest detriment has been his QBs.
DC couldn't get him the ball
Schaub throws passes into dangerous territory

I won't say he's injury prone, but every time he gets tackled, I hold my breath. Thats not a good sign

ubecool454
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
If youre talking about who I think youre talking about, I noticed that as well. Now that all the commercials and hype have died down surrounding him, you are seeing and hearing a lot more people eating crow...myself included.

Frak you are a standup guy. It was easy to find all those doubters who was talking about how the Texans screwed up by passing on Vince and Reggie. I remember many people on these boards that were pissed and even some ticket owners wanting out because the Texans screwed up so badly. For you to come on here and admit it says a lot for your character. Props to you dude.

Polo
07-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Schaub throws passes into dangerous territory

So does every other QB in the NFL

I won't say he's injury prone, but every time he gets tackled, I hold my breath. Thats not a good sign

Maybe you're just a nervous kinda person ?

ATXtexanfan
07-24-2008, 08:30 PM
That's what she said!

-Michael Scott

LO(freakin')L

b0ng
07-24-2008, 09:08 PM
AJ injury prone? un-productive? I can understand being a little nervous due to having 2 knee surgeries in less than a year but come on. It ain't that bad. I guess AJ will just have to prove himself again this coming up season.

EDIT: Did Jared Allen have this sort of recognition before last season?

gary
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Prove he can produce? Well how about:

6.7 receptions per game - 3rd in the league
94.6 yards per game - 1st in the league
.88 TD's per game - 4th in the league

I'd say the proof is already in.That's good enough to at least be considered in the top ten.

Vinny
07-25-2008, 11:37 AM
EDIT: Did Jared Allen have this sort of recognition before last season?

no. if he delivers double digit sacks this season it will be his first back-to-back double digit sack years.