PDA

View Full Version : Charles Spencer picked up by Panthers/cut/now with Jags

RobbC
07-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Adam Caplan from Scout.com / BattleRedNation.com reports:

The Carolina Panthers claimed former Houston Texans OL Charles Spencer off of waivers today. Spencer was noted on the transaction wire failing Houston's team physical on Tuesday. However, it's believed he'll be able to participate in Carolina's training camp which begins on Friday.

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Good for him. I hope it works out.

I remain skeptical that he'll be able to "participate" in camp, though.

Imatexanfan
07-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Wow first Carr to Panthers now Spencer. Kinda like the Broncos and Texans saga as to the Texans and Panthers saga wierd.

The hell with that good luck Spence dawg prove the Texans wrong.:fans:

Vinny
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
that was quick...it will be interesting to see if we bailed too soon or if we had it right.

dalemurphy
07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
that was quick...it will be interesting to see if we bailed too soon or if we had it right.

Maybe we wouldn't have bailed as fast if we were still going to do some power blocking. I'm guessing that his weight, combined with his injury, limited him to a point where Gibbs wanted nothing to do with him.

TexansLucky13
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
At least he isn't in our division, that's all I have to say....

GuerillaBlack
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm thinking we bailed too soon. Just a gut feeling. The good thing is, the Panthers are in the NFC and we won't have to play them again for what, four years (unless we meet in a Super Bowl ;)).

Best of luck to him.

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
It says right there above that he failed his physical. After almost two full years of rehab, and he can't pass a physical - let alone hang with the other lineman in OTAs which didn't even require pads or contact - I think it was time to move on. I hope he makes a comeback though.

Thorn
07-23-2008, 07:46 PM
I wish Spencer the best of luck with the Panthers, except when we play each other. :texflag:

BattleRedToro
07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
It says right there above that he failed his physical. After almost two full years of rehab, and he can't pass a physical - let alone hang with the other lineman in OTAs which didn't even require pads or contact - I think it was time to move on. I hope he makes a comeback though.

I've heard before, that a team can make sure you don't pass a physical if they are ready to get rid of you.

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I've heard before, that a team can make sure you don't pass a physical if they are ready to get rid of you.

Yeah, and keeping him around for two years and paying him during that time is a sure sign that we wanted to get rid of him.

The Texans did the right thing. I wish the fans were able to move on as well.

aj.
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I don't get the 'too soon' and 'too fast' comments. This was one of the most deliberate, prolonged and painful decisions I can recall for any player rehab decision. If he couldn't get back on the field without pads nearly two years post-surgery, I don't see how waiting two or even four more months would all of a sudden have gotten him back on the field with pads and with expectations to perform at full NFL speed.

If he plays anywhere this year, it's not because the Texans gave up too soon, it's because of one of two things: a) they completely blew the assessment of where he's at, which I doubt is the case, or b) he no longer has the requisite agility to play in a Gibbs 'get to the second level in a hurry' system, but can still maul away in a power blocking scheme, which is possible. I'm leaning toward his NFL career is over and the Texans did everything they could to help him come back.

SOLIS
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Let's keep something in perspective - he was picked up by the Panthers - the same team that thought enough of David Carr to give him a spot on the roster.

I'm not saying... I'm just saying.

Honoring Earl 34
07-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I think he said that he'd never be 100% again , I see him having issues from now on . A 340 lb dude with 8 screws holding your bone together and you push off with said bone while trying to drive another 300 lb guy 2 yards back , just seems painfull .

I was afraid he would end up with the Titans and become all world . Did'nt the Panthers draft Otah from Pitt ?

Mailman
07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I knew he'd be cut the day I saw that photo of him during OTAs. His size was shocking.

I was as high on Big Nasty as anyone, but I think the praise and hype Spencer got was hugely disproportionate to his on-field contributions. He may have developed into a great LT, but we really only saw him once. No one really knows how good he would've been.

As unfortunate as the Big Nasty situation was for all parties, I'm hopeful that his deal with the Panthers portends good fortune for both the player and his former team. The fact that Spencer got snapped up quickly tells me that he might still be able to play in the NFL after all, and it also says that this team has OL depth like never before.

J-Russ
07-23-2008, 08:44 PM
So, in a way, we pretty much traded Charles Spencer for Rashard Butler, who played for the Panthers last year and was also a third-round pick of the same draft class. Two tackles with health-problem... even trade, no?

Best of luck to Spencer in Carolina.

ObsiWan
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
Let's keep something in perspective - he was picked up by the Panthers - the same team that thought enough of David Carr to give him a spot on the roster.

let's just hope Spencer doesn't take to wearing white gloves
:cool:

b0ng
07-23-2008, 09:07 PM
Carolina sure likes Texans cast-offs huh? Hope he makes it back onto the field, but I think he'll be very limited in a backup role if used even at all.

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Manfull reports that Spencer passed the physical with the Texans, but the report from the OP says he did not.

It doesn't change my opinion on how the Texans handled it, but I'm just not sure what's true. Typically the local writers are more up on these things.

dalemurphy
07-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Okay, I'm confused. Manfull reports that Spencer passed the physical with the Texans, but the report from the OP says he did not.

It doesn't change my opinion on how the Texans handled it, but I'm just not sure what's true. Typically the local writers are more up on these things.

HUH?? Perhaps you mean that in most cities, the local press is up on the local teams... Not the case with the Chronicle, for reasons that escape understanding.

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
As much as we bag on the Chronicle - the national guys say things that are just as stupid and uninformed about the Texans.... but that's a conversation for another thread. :)

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Left me somewhat confused. Since no mention of an injury settlement, I wonder if he was passed so that he may have had a chance (without a negative label) to hook up with another team, like he has with the Panthers. I doubt that if he was not physical able to participate in a lesser OTA, that all of a sudden he would have passed a physical for TC where competition would push him to his limits. It'll be more telling if he passes the Panthers' physical. Still a little confusing.

4Texans
07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
I certainly wish things would have worked out for Spencer here, but we needed to move on. I hope he can eventually return 100% and play well for the Panthers or another team. It will be interesting to see if he passes the Panthers physical.

RobbC
07-23-2008, 10:19 PM
One more thing to chew on: Spencer has two years left on his deal but he can void the final year with 35% playing time.

SOLIS
07-23-2008, 10:24 PM
According to Adam Caplan at Scout.com, Spencer was released after he failed a Texans physical. I'd post the exact quote, but I can't get to it here at work (web filter). I'll post later tonight when I get back to the house.

RobbC
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
According to Adam Caplan at Scout.com, Spencer was released after he failed a Texans physical. I'd post the exact quote, but I can't get to it here at work (web filter). I'll post later tonight when I get back to the house.

I think you mean the first post of this thread ;)

DiehardChris
07-23-2008, 10:43 PM

Yeah, what the heck? Something is crossed up here.

Far as a previous comment about an injury settlement - there wouldn't be an injury settlement because if I'm not mistaken that's only done in cases where a player is on Injured Reserve... it protects the player from being released without compensation due to an injury.

So they didn't have to settle or anything, they just outright released him.

mexican_texan
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Reunited...

ObsiWan
07-23-2008, 11:51 PM
Left me somewhat confused. Since no mention of an injury settlement, I wonder if he was passed so that he may have had a chance (without a negative label) to hook up with another team, like he has with the Panthers. I doubt that if he was not physical able to participate in a lesser OTA, that all of a sudden he would have passed a physical for TC where competition would push him to his limits. It'll be more telling if he passes the Panthers' physical. Still a little confusing.

Disclaimer - this is just a SWAG:
But it could be as simple as the Texans wanted him to meet some weight goal, which he perhaps did not. Perhaps that could be construed as "not passing the physical". His leg is physically healed but he's not in the type of shape that Gibbs wants to see in his linemen.

Marcus
07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah, and keeping him around for two years and paying him during that time is a sure sign that we wanted to get rid of him.

Best post of the thread so far.

Wolf
07-24-2008, 12:26 AM
http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/81610-another-ol-signed-before-camp.html

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2008, 01:29 AM

You must spread some reputation around before...

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2008, 01:30 AM
So, in a way, we pretty much traded Charles Spencer for Rashard Butler, who played for the Panthers last year and was also a third-round pick of the same draft class. Two tackles with health-problem... even trade, no?

Best of luck to Spencer in Carolina.

Butler played for us last year. He played for the Panthers the year before.

SOLIS
07-24-2008, 01:33 AM

See, that's what happens when I respond to ish without reading the first page... :tearup:

mussop
07-24-2008, 03:41 AM

He says he passed the Texans physical.

Spencer said he is not worried about the Panthersí physical, since he recently passed one for the Texans.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5904443.html

So wich is it? Im confused.

painekiller
07-24-2008, 04:44 AM
HUH?? Perhaps you mean that in most cities, the local press is up on the local teams... Not the case with the Chronicle, for reasons that escape understanding.

Spencer reported he passed the Texans physical in the article on chron.com.

Malloy
07-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Glad to see someone picking up our scraps for a change :)

BattleRedToro
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM

I already have moved on. I wish Spencer the best. It was a tough break getting injured the way he did.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Hmm....didn't Colvin supposedly fail his physical before being let go from the Pats? :thinking:

Eh, whatev! Let the Texans football begin! Puuuhhhlleezze! :fans:

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Far as a previous comment about an injury settlement - there wouldn't be an injury settlement because if I'm not mistaken that's only done in cases where a player is on Injured Reserve... it protects the player from being released without compensation due to an injury.

So they didn't have to settle or anything, they just outright released him.

DiehardChris,

I thought that an injury settlement was available if the player was unable to perform during the term of his contract due to an an injury sustained on the field during the period of the contract.

If anyone can find a cite for the CBA rules on settlement, I would certainly appreciate it.

Ole Miss Texan
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Weird, Carolina was the first team I thought of when wondering where Spencer could wind up. Kinds surprised they picked him up this soon. Sure wish we had a spot for him on this team but I understand releasing him. Even if he ends up being a really good O-linemen (which I hope he does) doesn't necessarily mean he would have made it here. Really sounds like this is the most demanding of any OL in the league, I like that.

False Start
07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Good for Big Nasty . Its good to see him get another shot .

Goldensilence
07-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Wish Spencer the best but with his weight and how Gibbs will probably want to run the OL things just didn't look like they'd add up.

I'm just not sure he'll make it back to full-form which is sad considering everything. At least he is out of the division and if he does make the team and start I think we can al ltake part in cheering for him(unless we play them).

Might be a panther now Charles but I got a feeling the all the Texans fans will still cheer for you.

Toro59
07-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Wish Spencer the best but with his weight and how Gibbs will probably want to run the OL things just didn't look like they'd add up.

I'm just not sure he'll make it back to full-form which is sad considering everything. At least he is out of the division and if he does make the team and start I think we can al ltake part in cheering for him(unless we play them).

Might be a panther now Charles but I got a feeling the all the Texans fans will still cheer for you.

I will definatly be following how he's doing where ever he goes. I wish him the best. Too bad we didn't play them this year.

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Butler played for us last year. He played for the Panthers the year before.

No. He started off with the Panthers. Did you think we had him since training camp last year? He was cut by the Panthers and we picked him up mid-season.

CT CSTM
07-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Just talked to the Big Fella,,,he's excited to get out to NC,,,He's a Panther once again,,,he appreciates you guys that haven't been dogging him the past 2 years saying he wouldn't make it back,,,I know he really appreciates peoples well wishes on here,,,

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2008, 02:10 PM
No. He started off with the Panthers. Did you think we had him since training camp last year? He was cut by the Panthers and we picked him up mid-season.

I know he started off with the Panthers but I believe he was cut in the last round of pre-season cuts and we picked him up off the waiver wire. He was with us before the first game, iirc. If a guy spends the entire season with us, I consider that playing with us all year regardless which TC he was in.

But, let's check the old posts and see...

J-Russ
07-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I know he started off with the Panthers but I believe he was cut in the last round of pre-season cuts and we picked him up off the waiver wire. He was with us before the first game, iirc. If a guy spends the entire season with us, I consider that playing with us all year regardless which TC he was in.

But, let's check the old posts and see...

Maybe I'm mistaken.

But CS didn't really play for us last year anyway. btw, when I made the other post, I didn't implied that we got Butler as soon as we let go of Spencer, I was just saying that it was sorta like a trade-off of talents, since their situation was similar.

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/player.asp?player_id=317

Rashad Butler was picked up off of waivers prior to the beginning of the season but was only activated for the last 8 games. So, he was with the team the entire season but I can easily see why you'd think we got him midway through the season.

The Pencil Neck
07-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken.

But CS didn't really play for us last year anyway. btw, when I made the other post, I didn't implied that we got Butler as soon as we let go of Spencer, I was just saying that it was sorta like a trade-off of talents, since their situation was similar.

No biggie. I just interpreted you as saying something you weren't saying. :)

drewmar74
07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Lance Z over at the Chronic is on the record saying that he has a source inside the Texans that says CS isn't doing that great.

Per his "Z Report":

I had someone within the Texans tell me that they disagree with the previous assessments I received on Spencer. This person says that he will be surprised if Spencer passes a physical with the Panthers because his leg is still in poor shape and he's having a hard time moving laterally. My question would be - how did he pass the Texans physical then?

You can read this, and the rest of it here: http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2008/07/post_57.html

PHAROAH
07-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Man i hope the best for Spencer I hope he has a very prodctive career.

eriadoc
07-24-2008, 06:10 PM

For the expansion draft, Willie Roaf failed his physical. Tony Boselli passed his.

Just thought I'd mention it.

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 11:14 AM

My guess, what I read between the lines, he couldn't make Gibb's weight goals. Gibbs way or the highway. Right or wrong, when you're in comand, comand. I hear Weary has made his wieght...Pitts hasn't.

infantrycak
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I hear Weary has made his wieght...Pitts hasn't.

Ummm, yeah sure you heard that.

In any event, the guys actually out at practice from 610 am say Pitts looks really good and has slimmed down.

Vinny
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Ummm, yeah sure you heard that.

In any event, the guys actually out at practice from 610 am say Pitts looks really good and has slimmed down.Pitts and Weary both look great supposedly. We will all see tomorrow first hand. :fans:

b0ng
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Pitts and Weary both look great supposedly. We will all see tomorrow first hand. :fans:

So I guess nobody is going on Sunday except me and my pops :cry:

painekiller
07-25-2008, 05:56 PM

I'm going to every practice but Aug 2nd.

ObsiWan
07-25-2008, 06:00 PM

I'll be there both days dude.
I got tickets for ALL the open camps.

Toro59
07-28-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/galleries/gallery/732041-a732047-t3.html

Spencer with the Panthers at training camp.

drewmar74
07-28-2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=34500

John Fox on new acquisition Charles Spencer, who was claimed off of waivers from the Texans: ďA lot of times this thing is about what to do, and until you really know what to do itís hard to put you out there and make you compete against guys that know what theyíre doing. Heís getting a feel for it, and it will take a little time but heís got the ability. Now itís just a matter of learning the offense.Ē

Wolf
07-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Spencer out of practice today (knee) I hope it wasn't serious

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/07/stewart-impress.html

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 11:07 AM
News from the Charlotte camp:

On tackle Charles Spencer: He's a guy we just acquired (off waivers from Houston on July 23). A lot of times this thing is about what to do, and until you really know what to do it's hard to put you out there and make you compete against guys that know what they're doing. He's getting a feel for it, and it will take a little time but he's got the ability. Now it's just a matter of learning the offense.
On how healthy Spencer's knee is: Our doctors said that he's cleared for practice, and they know more a lot more than I do; so far so good.
In other news, recently acquired OT Charles Spencer passed his phsyical and is cleared to work tomorrow. There were no other issues with the physicals and everyone who is here is ready to practice Saturday morning.
1. The Panthers looked more like a Tour de France team than a football team on Wednesday afternoon. In all, nine players sat out the afternoon session. At one point they had to bring extra stationary bikes for the players to ride. At one time six were in use by Jonathan Stewart, Adam Seward, LaBrandon Toefield, D.J. Hackett, Damione Lewis and Charles Spencer. Running on the side were Darwin Walker and Maake Kemoeatu. None of those injuries are believed to be serious. Basically, it was players getting a day off.
Charles Spencer was practicing and looked good. the man is a bull.
This is all I could really find of interest. Sounds like he's doing well

rmartin65
08-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I will be happy and pissed at the same time if he does well.

Happy because he deserves it.

Pissed because he should be a Texan.

gtexan02
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
They compare him to a bull :( Thats OUR mascot!

beerlover
08-02-2008, 12:03 PM
This is the kind of discussion that always comes up in Pro Sports. Do you ahere to the company line of homersim & support only current players or are you the type who supports the individual & their career path even if it leads them away from here?

I support & understand both angles, whatever floats your boat :)

Vinny
08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
kinda disturbing that he couldn't pass our physical but he not only passed his physical with the Panthers but is "doing well".

News from the Charlotte camp:

On tackle Charles Spencer: He's a guy we just acquired (off waivers from Houston on July 23). A lot of times this thing is about what to do, and until you really know what to do it's hard to put you out there and make you compete against guys that know what they're doing. He's getting a feel for it, and it will take a little time but he's got the ability. Now it's just a matter of learning the offense.
On how healthy Spencer's knee is: Our doctors said that he's cleared for practice, and they know more a lot more than I do; so far so good.
In other news, recently acquired OT Charles Spencer passed his phsyical and is cleared to work tomorrow. There were no other issues with the physicals and everyone who is here is ready to practice Saturday morning.
1. The Panthers looked more like a Tour de France team than a football team on Wednesday afternoon. In all, nine players sat out the afternoon session. At one point they had to bring extra stationary bikes for the players to ride. At one time six were in use by Jonathan Stewart, Adam Seward, LaBrandon Toefield, D.J. Hackett, Damione Lewis and Charles Spencer. Running on the side were Darwin Walker and Maake Kemoeatu. None of those injuries are believed to be serious. Basically, it was players getting a day off.
Charles Spencer was practicing and looked good. the man is a bull.
This is all I could really find of interest. Sounds like he's doing well

KEYE SUX
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
It is fine to follow people and wish them well after they have left your team as long as it does not trump your team. Maybe I am still bitter after the VY overtime run when people in TEXANS jerseys were jumping and cheering after our team LOST.

HJam72
08-02-2008, 02:55 PM
It is fine to follow people and wish them well after they have left your team as long as it does not trump your team. Maybe I am still bitter after the VY overtime run when people in TEXANS jerseys were jumping and cheering after our team LOST.

We're all still bitter about that.

brakos82
08-07-2008, 05:19 PM
SPARTANBURG -- Coach John Fox said the Panthers waived offensive tackle Charles Spencer on Thursday. Spencer, a former starter with the Houston Texans who has a history of knee problems, was signed before training camp.
Fox said Spencer's knee wasn't an issue. "It was more about conditioning and weight"

Source: Inside the Panthers (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/08/panthers-waive.html)

:thinking:

HoustonFrog
08-07-2008, 05:21 PM
SPARTANBURG -- Coach John Fox said the Panthers waived offensive tackle Charles Spencer on Thursday. Spencer, a former starter with the Houston Texans who has a history of knee problems, was signed before training camp.
Fox said Spencer's knee wasn't an issue. "It was more about conditioning and weight"

Source: Inside the Panthers (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2008/08/panthers-waive.html)

:thinking:

Seems the coaches here are vindicated because that was the exact quotes from this camp too.

Porky
08-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Wow. To be waived this early in camp. Ya, I would say Kubes and co were definetely vindicated. And good luck to Mr. Spencer, maybe he will shape up and land somewhere.

Double Barrel
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Mr. Spencer's HoF career has been derailed by his failure to dedicate himself to his craft.

Texan_Bill
08-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Mr. Spencer's HoF career has been derailed by his failure to dedicate himself to his craft.

And an assist from Ron "I never met a buffet I didn't like" Dayne

Brando
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM

I think that's why he ran up on Spencer, he was trying to get to the buffet line. I think the Texans should have put one in the end zone....on second thought maybe not.

Good Luck Spencer, I hope everything works out for you!

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Wow. To be waived this early in camp. Ya, I would say Kubes and co were definetely vindicated. And good luck to Mr. Spencer, maybe he will shape up and land somewhere.

If he shapes up, he could some where down the line end up in Houston................stranger things have happened.:texflag:

TexansFanatic
08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
For being overweight:
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hc51T2S0nVoPbmF-OMucOPWryfbQ

GuerillaBlack
08-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Sad.

Move to NFL Football though. Spencer isn't a Texan unfortunately.

TexansLucky13
08-07-2008, 10:35 PM
NFL = Not For Long

I hoped he would work out here but I guess Gibbs wasn't impressed. Carolina followed suit it seems.

GuerillaBlack
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
At least he has a college degree that he could always fall back on.

Vinny
08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Somehow I feel better about the Texans waiving him now.

awtysst
08-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Somehow I feel better about the Texans waiving him now.

Me too. I thought the reason we got rid of him was because he was not a good fit for the ZBS. Seeing him have trouble getting work as a mauler makes me feel a little better about our cut. Looks like we are finally getting rid of the right players.

Mailman
08-07-2008, 11:17 PM
I stopped drinking the Spencer Kool Aid early in OTAs when this photo appeared on HT.com. I knew then he'd never make the team.

http://houstontexans.com/uploads/photo/thumbs/7226.jpg

Tex Trenches
08-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I read somewhere that he has a few job offers here locally with some oil companies. Best of luck Charles!

Double Barrel
08-08-2008, 11:14 AM

yeah, that was brutal.

But I can't hate on Dayne. He was a big reason we beat the Colts that one time...one time....one time....one time...*bang!* many moons ago.

Lucky
08-08-2008, 11:37 AM
When was the last time anyone saw Ron Dayne?

I think the Dayne Train may be in Spencer's caboose.

HOU-TEX
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Anyone think he might be back in camp due to our injuries along the Oline? Doubtful, but he should know the system. :thinking:

dtran04
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Rick Smith said that if Spencer gets into shape, they could sign him to the practice squad. Seems like a win-win to me.

Marcus
08-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Given all the good decisions that Kubes and Co. have been making, I'm a little surprised that they needed to be . . . "vindicated".

J-Russ
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
When was the last time anyone saw Ron Dayne?

I think the Dayne Train may be in Spencer's caboose.

CS calf is the same size as the old dude next to him...... and he's like 200 pounds less then him. Spencer upper body is soo disproportional to his lower body, it's crazy.

threetoedpete
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
If he shapes up, he could some where down the line end up in Houston................stranger things have happened.:texflag:

Well now we know why he could get on the field this spring and summer. The knee is healed, but the Texans were scared to death to get caught in a Corey Stringer situation. Can you blame them ?

http://www.jamesspann.com/bmachine/post/wxtalk/1524/Remembering-Corey-Stringer
http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_17_3_2.htm

infantrycak
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Though the Jacksonville Jaguars indicated on Tuesday that they donít plan to add any offensive lineman following the shooting of backup tackle Richard Collier, Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports that the Jags have agreed to terms with Charles Spencer on a one-year deal.

Spencer was a third-round pick of the Texans in 2006. He suffered a serious knee injury during his rookie season, and the team released him earlier this year. The Panthers claimed him on waivers, but released him shortly thereafter.

Because heís not a vested veteran, his salary wonít become essentially guaranteed by being on the Week One roster.

From PFT.com

DiehardChris
09-03-2008, 07:20 PM
This just bothers me. Not because I think we should have kept him - but because, well, it just bothers me. Divisional opponent and all.

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/03/jags-add-spencer/)

b0ng
09-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Hmmm, I don't think we'll see him week 4. Week 13 however.

Runner
09-03-2008, 07:59 PM
I think we can all get over Spencer. He's not going to be able dominate and change games for us or against us. It's a sad story for him, but after one game his potential will always remain that - potential. IMO.

CloakNNNdagger
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I tried to relate this signing with brief commentaryin another thread. (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=989133&postcount=52)

DiehardChris
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I've been over him a looong time. I'm not saying I wish he would have signed with us - clearly he's not a fit, and he's just not ready - it's just that I LIKE him, and he's gone to a division rival... so now I have to, you know, not like him.

Chicagotexan1
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I still like big nasty and I wish him well. Yo Spence, don't park outside apt complexes in the middle of the night and everything will be ite.

TEXANRED
09-03-2008, 11:18 PM
This just bothers me. Not because I think we should have kept him - but because, well, it just bothers me. Divisional opponent and all.

Link (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/03/jags-add-spencer/)

No, this is good. We return the TB curse back to them.