PDA

View Full Version : Duane Brown Signed

4Texans
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Anyone have a status? Are they close?

Chris Williams signed today with the Bears, so he's the first OL (Excluding the first pick Long) to sign from the 1st round . 5 yrs / 16 mill (10 mill guar) - 14th pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80975731&template=with-video&confirm=true

Toro59
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone have a status? Are they close?

Chris Williams signed today with the Bears, so he's the first OL to sign from the 1st round. 5 yrs / 16 mill (10 mill guar) - 14th pick

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80975731&template=with-video&confirm=true

Well they have cut just enought players to make 80 for training camp when he signs. So I'm assuming there close. But I haven't heard anything

barrett
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM
i saw the C. Williams signing and thought right away, that gives the Texans FO a salary range to go on. we should be right around the corner.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2008, 05:41 PM
i saw the C. Williams signing and thought right away, that gives the Texans FO a salary range to go on. we should be right around the corner.

We already have a better gauge to the Brown signing......LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=956384&postcount=42)

4Texans
07-23-2008, 05:52 PM
The Williams signing should at least tighten that range up. I hope we hear something soon.

Specnatz
07-23-2008, 05:54 PM
We already have a better gauge to the Brown signing......LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=956384&postcount=42)

QBs are paid more than lineman so how Flacco's contract helps with an OL one I have no clue. That is like looking how much a BMW cost and a much a Scion cost and thinking you have a good range on how much a Tahoe would cost.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2008, 06:10 PM
QBs are paid more than lineman so how Flacco's contract helps with an OL one I have no clue. That is like looking how much a BMW cost and a much a Scion cost and thinking you have a good range on how much a Tahoe would cost.

Your comments are valid, but the way I was looking at things was Flacco had 8.5 million guaranteed and Williams 10 million, even though there was a significant difference of salary (Flacco over Williams)..........and guaranteed money is just that......the only guarantee. I'll defer to your analysis, though.

PapaL
07-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Score!

b0ng
07-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Isn't Brown the last 1st rounder not signed? I think he's a first day of TC signing anyway so it doesn't bother me.

ChampionTexan
07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Isn't Brown the last 1st rounder not signed? I think he's a first day of TC signing anyway so it doesn't bother me.

He's the last Texans pick not signed. Unless someone signed since Chris Williams with the Bears, there are 8 signed and 23 unsigned first round picks (only 31 picks due to Pats forfeiture).

alphajoker
07-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Where are you DB?! :foottap: I've been logging on every so often just to see if you've been signed yet. I know TC truly doesn't start until tomorrow, but I would feel much better if you signed today. :doot:

PapaL
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
<--- Is starting to worry...

dtran04
07-24-2008, 05:38 PM
They should be close since Cason, the pick right after, has signed. They have something more concrete to work with.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Johnson ready for camp, LT Brown remains unsigned (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D924FRSG2.html)

07/24/2008

By KRISTIE RIEKEN / Associated Press

Star receiver Andre Johnson will be back on the field, but first-round pick Duane Brown might not be when the Houston Texans open camp Friday.

Johnson has recovered from arthroscopic knee surgery that kept him out of Houston's offseason workouts. Brown, the 26th pick in the draft, remained the Texans only unsigned draft pick Thursday.

The Texans continued to try and work out a deal Thursday. They expect Brown to start at left tackle this season, so it is important that he not miss time in camp.

A couple of players said they had spoken to Brown and encouraged him to get to camp on time, but right tackle Eric Winston said he wouldn't have the same advice if he talked to him.

"I'm not going to tell him that," Winston said. "That's his business and he has to do what he needs to do. I hope he gets as much money as he can. I really do. If he has to hold out for a day or two, if that's what he feels like he needs to do, I'm not going to tell him one way or another."

Brown, who was projected by most as a second-round pick, played just one season at left tackle in college after spending his first year at tight end and two years at right tackle. He didn't do very well lining up against Mario Williams in offseason practices, but coaches are confident he'll improve with time and practice.

brakos82
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM
well, he's lining up against the best DE in the NFL... he'll improve as soon as Mario's not in his way.

Thorn
07-24-2008, 05:46 PM
well, he's lining up against the best DE in the NFL... he'll improve as soon as Mario's not in his way.

He'll get to be a very good left tackle because he has to practice against Mario. I wish he'd sign and get into camp.

disaacks3
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
...but right tackle Eric Winston said he wouldn't have the same advice if he talked to him.

"I'm not going to tell him that," Winston said. "That's his business and he has to do what he needs to do. I hope he gets as much money as he can. I really do. Thanks Caveman, you're helping a great deal. The kid needs every rep he can get!

barrett
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
everyone wants him in camp day one. even he wants to be there i'm sure. the players seems to always be very understanding of each other's "money" stuff. they seem to be fairly unified that you have to do what you have to do when it comes to the money stuff. i doubt there would be any backlash from his teammates if he were to hold out. (i doubt that will happen though.) i expect him to be at camp tomorrow morning. i have total faith in our FO.

HJam72
07-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I would be much more worried if he did too well against Williams.

ATXtexanfan
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
after seeing spencer get released due to a career threatening injury at the hands of a teammate, i'm sure he's trying to get everything he can. can't blame him at all.

ArlingtonTexan
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
Just to note pick number 27 and 29 agree to terms or signed today. In other words, the texans and Brown pick 26 should have a really good idea of where his slot is and any "holdout" should be over with quite quickly.

dalemurphy
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I wonder if the issue for a lot of these signings right now isn't simply that the agents are stretched to thin. I imagine a lot of agents have a handful of guys all trying to get a contract done when camp starts this weekend. My guess is teams have to wait for meetings and even a return phone call in some cases right now.

b0ng
07-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I won't be worried until he starts missing snaps. It seemed like Okoye didn't get signed until the first day of training camp last season too.

CloakNNNdagger
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Honestly, I won't be worried until he starts missing snaps. It seemed like Okoye didn't get signed until the first day of training camp last season too.

If Brown is not signed by the end of tomorrow, i will tend to believe that the uncapped years may be the source of divisiveness as concerns both the duration of the contract and the acceleration of salary from 2010 on.

nunusguy
07-24-2008, 09:11 PM
If Brown is not signed by the end of tomorrow, i will tend to believe that the uncapped years may be the source of divisiveness as concerns both the duration of the contract and the acceleration of salary from 2010 on.
This issue about the uncapped years ? As many contracts as has been completed by now for this Draft class, I'd think there would already be a template for that situation ? Is each players situation re that issue really unique ?

ChampionTexan
07-24-2008, 09:37 PM

This issue about the uncapped years ? As many contracts as has been completed by now for this Draft class, I'd think there would already be a template for that situation ? Is each players situation re that issue really unique ?

Wasn't the Special Master on this supposed to have issued a ruling by now?

mariokickssacks
07-25-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm pretty confident that he'll be signed tomorrow morning. Unless he really is pitching a fit over the potential uncapped year, there's absolutely no reason why his salary, guaranteed money, etc. shouldn't be pretty well slotted, especially with the additional signing of brandon albert. IIRC, gosder cherilus is signed now too, so that makes all the first round tackles done, and with a few picks after being inked as well, there doesn't really appear to be anything for him to hold out for, unless they're bickering about which cell phone plan he wants.

CloakNNNdagger
07-25-2008, 06:25 AM

[If he doesn't sign today] With the LT curse history of the Texans and the inordinate need at LT to get anywhere, that his agent knows that the Texans have, with uncapped questions, he and his agent may be wanting to see some additional front loading to his contract with an early option (2010) to redo his contract if his performance is exemplary.

Porky
07-25-2008, 07:16 AM
He's got less than 90 minutes to sign or he will be a holdout. My sense is he might miss a practice or two at most, but it's hard to see this lingering long.

nunusguy
07-25-2008, 07:52 AM
After an all-night negotiating session, the Texans have avoided the second official holdout in franchise history.

Left tackle Duane Brown, the first-round draft choice, signed a five-year contract early today and will be on the practice field for the first workout at two-a-day sessions.

Defensive tackle Travis Johnson missed a day in 2005 when he was the first pick, but general manager Rick Smith and agents Ken Landphere and Andy Ross completed the deal in time to get Brown, who played at Virginia Tech, in training camp on time.

As soon as he arrived in Houston, Brown was inserted into the starting left tackle job ahead of veteran Ephraim Salaam. Now the coaches don't have to worry about him missing any practice time.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5907153.html

Porky
07-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Just heard the great news! :splits: :whip: :texflag:

Thorn
07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Good news indeed.

HJam72
07-25-2008, 07:58 AM
One more little notch for Smith. :fans:

alphajoker
07-25-2008, 07:59 AM
:splits: Whoo hoo!!

Señor Stan
:whip: :splits: :ski: :jumpinjack: :jumpbanan :bguitar:

texasguy346
Great news. Looks like he signed right after Clady signed with the Broncos.

Señor Stan
07-25-2008, 08:01 AM
He's got less than 90 minutes to sign or he will be a holdout. My sense is he might miss a practice or two at most, but it's hard to see this lingering long.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51931

:locked:

SAMURAITEXAN
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Alright!! Now we are ready!

Go Texans!!!

texan pride
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Finally I can sleep at night!

edo783
07-25-2008, 08:23 AM
Go get to work rook, and welcome to the team.

SheTexan
07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
After an all-night negotiating session, the Texans have avoided the second official holdout in franchise history.

This I don't understand. The guy was drafted in April. WHY do they have to stay up "all night" and negotiate? Why do these things always have to go down to the wire? I realize agents wait sometimes to see what other teams are offering, etc, but, they should already have a good idea about that. Seems like a good agent would have all this taken care of LONG before the deadline. I'm glad he's signed, sealed, and delivered, just don't care much for the drama.

Don't mind me guys. Just a little cranky this morning!!:shetexan:

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
The Agents want one thingy...more clients. This is the kids deal for the next five years. If the agents don't press for the max under the current system, they look like fools three years down the road. No one wants a fool representing them. The agents stick this year was the umcapped year in 2010. No telling how high saleries will go that year. These guys, the class of '08, will miss that. Tring to slot off of what Matt Ryan got was tough. He got rediculas money...ludicras money ? Got gaurds making sixty million...twelve million a year, front line cover coner backs 9.8 million for a one year frachise tag year.....lot of money for untested rookies to be making if they are paid congruently.

Mike Kerns
07-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Nice work by the front office. If this guy is supposed to be protecting our QB from game 1, I dont want him missing ANY practice time.

Brando
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Good news, he needs all the reps he can get before opening day.:fans:

TexanBacker93
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Great job. I can't wait for Saturday morning. :woot:

ATRAIN
07-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Nice, cant wait for the first pre-season game. IM SOOOOO READY!!

Hardcore Texan
07-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Great news!

Can't wait to check him out in person, say on Sept. 14th around 3:15 PM.

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Brown was taken to be the franchise's left tackle....twenty spots too soon....I think sloting under these circumstaces is out the window. Only ones had Brown slotted where we took him were the Chargers, who were best player available & Gibbs. See if the terms are closer to William's, another franchise OLT or Flacco's, one of five QBs in camp.

bignasty
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
How about checking him out this Sat at 8:30. Less than 24 hours

Oh yea, can't wait

Specnatz
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Brown was taken to be the franchise's left tackle....twenty spots too soon....I think sloting under these circumstaces is out the window. Only ones had Brown slotted where we took him were the Chargers, who were best player available & Gibbs. See if the terms are closer to William's, another franchise OLT or Flacco's, one of five QBs in camp.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/bsmeter.gif

20 slots to soon? Then you say the Chargers were going to take him with best player available, so which is it. He was best player available or 20 slots to soon.

Tony Ugoh was drafted in the second round to be the air appearent franchise LT by the colts so does it mean because that is what they envisioned his salary should be different than any other lineman drafted in the second?

Look at what Long got versus what Ryan got, that right there says the QBs are paid differently. OL are not paid as much as QB, that is fact.

Toro59
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Duane was practicing with the first team during this mornings practice... If anyone was curious

Hooston Texan
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
This I don't understand. The guy was drafted in April. WHY do they have to stay up "all night" and negotiate? Why do these things always have to go down to the wire? I realize agents wait sometimes to see what other teams are offering, etc, but, they should already have a good idea about that. Seems like a good agent would have all this taken care of LONG before the deadline. I'm glad he's signed, sealed, and delivered, just don't care much for the drama.

Don't mind me guys. Just a little cranky this morning!!:shetexan:

Nothing spurs activity like a looming deadline. Agents know that the teams want their draft picks in camp, so they figure they will get a better deal closer to the report date. Plus, the last thing an agent wants to do is mis-slot his client; all it takes is one bad deal to destroy an agent's career. So they are inclined to wait to see what the guys in similar positions drafted near them got.

I don't care when the deal gets done so long as the player is present and ready to go when camp opens.

Goldensilence
07-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Awesome to get him in on time. He's going to need as many reps as possible if he's going to start this coming season. Good job all around FO. Now it's up to the players and coaching staff.

Ole Miss Texan
07-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Where a Player was 'believed' to be drafted is completely irrevelant when he actually gets drafted. If we knew a certain player was "a 3rd round player" but drafted him at 26... he's going to get paid #26 pick money.

If the complaint is that we drafted him too soon, that's our fault, not the players. We can't use that in negotiation to give him less money. I understand the idea on this but in contract negotiations it would hold ZERO ground.

barrett
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
silly rabbits. it's football season. who cares about draft order anymore. that's off season hot air now!

Goldensilence
07-25-2008, 11:35 AM

Man you've been bagging us to take a LT for the few years then we took one twenty slots too early? What was our other options? Move up and get one of the other LTs? I knew once that KC/ Vikings trade went down our chances at landing one of those guys was gone.I thought I heard the 49ers would've loved to pair him with Staley for bookend tackles as well. I think out FO did a great job of getting more draft picks and moving back to get a guy would can fill the void at LT for a while. He wouldn't have been around when we picked again in the third.

False Start
07-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Good news . Now he better own up to being a number one pick .

76Texan
07-25-2008, 11:56 AM
All I'm gonna say is go buy yourself a nice house, Mr. Brown!

Just don't ask Mario for advice when it comes to your new driving machine! :smiliedance:

76Texan
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Duane was practicing with the first team during this mornings practice... If anyone was curious

Yeah, O.D. was on 610 after the morning session, and he did say that he was impressed with Duane!:kingkong:

Toro59
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, O.D. was on 610 after the morning session, and he did say that he was impressed with Duane!:kingkong:

Yeah that where I heard it. They said he was an hour late due to him signing his contract, but when he arrived he jumped right in to the first team. I'm assuming Salaam was upset again...

GuerillaBlack
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Good news. Now we can get him sweating like a dog out in that Houston heat!

Specnatz
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah that where I heard it. They said he was an hour late due to him signing his contract, but when he arrived he jumped right in to the first team. I'm assuming Salaam was upset again...

I am glad Salaam was upset, I would rather him wanting to start than just accepting bench status. Creates better competition.

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o195/Specnatz/bsmeter.gif

20 slots to soon? Then you say the Chargers were going to take him with best player available, so which is it. He was best player available or 20 slots to soon.

Tony Ugoh was drafted in the second round to be the air appearent franchise LT by the colts so does it mean because that is what they envisioned his salary should be different than any other lineman drafted in the second?

Look at what Long got versus what Ryan got, that right there says the QBs are paid differently. OL are not paid as much as QB, that is fact.

GTF over yourself. Find me one predraft rating that had brown rated higher than low fifties ? You won't find one. The point with the chargers was they were not pressed to find a starter with the pick...they could afford to take the best LT/O-lineman on the board and groom him. And that's what they did with the db they drafted. Cason doesn't have to start day one. As far as the QB money is concerned, you believe what you want Matt Ryan isn't worth 72 million in any era.

Specnatz
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes and every so called expert had Mario Williams as a bust the next Sam Bowie. The guys you see on TV do not know crap from shinola, it is the pro-scouts, coaches and GMs that thought Duane Brown was rated that high not some guy with hair gel.

If more than one GM thought he was worth drafting there then how can someone say he was drafted to soon? I guess you know more than the Chargers, Seahawks and the Texans.

As far as the money goes, everyone already says the guys at the top get paid to much but it is what it is. A QB will always be paid more than an olineman, period.

76Texan
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
NFL Draft Scout had Duane Brown as the 7th best OT.
Sam Baker was 6th and he was drafted @ #21

76Texan
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
NFL Draftcountdown:

Scouts can't stop raving about the strength of this offensive line class and Duane Brown is yet another reason why. A 6-4, 315 lb. former right end (he caught 3 passes for 64 yards in 2004), Brown is obviously a fantastic athlete and he moves very well for a man of his dimensions, making him a perfect fit for teams that utilize a zone blocking scheme. On the negative side he isn't overly strong or physical, he won't dominate opponents with sheer power and he's still somewhat raw but those are all things that can be corrected. After flying under the radar as a presumed mid-rounder throughout most of the process Brown's stock has steadily been rising and it now looks like he's a sure-fire 2nd rounder with a chance to maybe even work his way into the late first.

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 02:37 PM
What is it ? It's a new QB with his first concussion...three left in the tank. One in '08, one in '09, Schaub is basically done. You two can argue what the rankings were. I saw them....he was the best on the board when we took him. And the point to all of this: the contract will be more in line with what Alberts and Williams got and not what Flacco got. The two OLT's should recieve more. Rivals, GBN all had him fifty or lower.... but when you're qb is being beaten to death and the franchise has never spent a high pick on one hgher than fifty you do what they did. You reach for a guy the o-line coach says can do the job. I watched him in the east-west shirners game....nothing special. Just a guy. We'll see what kind of guru Gibbs truly is. One more point, I haven't heard Tony Ugoh holding out or unhappy. If he makes all sixteen starts in '08 he is going to want to get paid in '09. They are going through that right now in Buffalo with Jason Peters. Unless Ugoh's agent is a fool he will want top five money next season.

GBN top 100: # 54 Duane Brown OT 6-5, 305 Virginia Tech
Scouts .com OT rankings: # 15

ESPN Clayton :2. Houston Texans: Things went horribly for the Texans, who wanted one of the top offensive linemen. Branden Albert or Chris Williams would have worked, but they were gone, so the Texans traded down. They might have been able to pull out cornerback Mike Jenkins, but he went to Dallas with the 25th pick. The Texans ended up with Virginia Tech offensive lineman Duane Brown, whom many thought was a second-rounder.

http://www.warroomreport.com/2008nfldraft/otrankings.htm
the War room : # 16 OT's.

About football top 100: 60. Duane Brown
http://football.about.com/od/nfldraft/a/nfldrafttoppros.htm

Rivals OT rankings:
12. Duane Brown, 6-5, 305, Virginia Tech

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/viewprorank.asp?ra_key=134&Sport=1&Year=2008

Frank Coyle has him ranked in the top 100 ..... not.

Draft stock # 76 overall
76 Duane Brown
http://www.draftstock.com/site_main/content/view/60/53/

The Huddle Report:
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/FREE_CONTENT/valueboard100.shtml
# 66 over all.

I'm not an ESPN insider....but there was clear consenses on the Brown ranking....the only two who disagreed were the Chargers and Gibbs. I have no problem with the reach....but it was a reach.

Señor Stan
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
What is it ? It's a new QB with his first concussion...three left in the tank. One in '08, one in '09, Schaub is basically done. You two can argue what the rankings were. I saw them....he was the best on the board when we took him. An the point to all fo this the contract will be more in line with what Alberts and Williams got and not what Flacco got. The two OLT's should recieve more. Rivals, GBN all had him fifty or lower.... but when you're qb is being beaten to death and the franchise has never spent a high pick on one hgher than fifty you do what they did. You reach for a guy the o-line coach says can do the job. I watched him in the east-west shirners game....nothing special. Just a guy. We'll see what kind of guru Gibbs truly is. One more point, I haven't heard Tony Ugoh holding out or unhappy. If he makes all sixteen starts in '08 he is going to want to get paid in '09. They are going through that right now in Buffalo with Jason Peters. Unless Ugoh's agent is a fool he will want top five money next season.

GBN: 54 # Duane Brown OT 6-5, 305 Virginia Tech
Scouts .com # 15

ESPN Clayton :

About football: 60. Duane Brown

Rivals OT rankings:

Draft stock # 76 overall
76 Duane Brown

The Huddle Report:
# 66 over all.

I'm not an ESPN insider....but there was clear consenses on the Brown ranking....the only two who disagreed were the Chargers and Gibbs. I have no problem with the reach....but it was a reach.

There are only 32 draft boards that matter. None of them end in "dot com".

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Well I've never seen one of those....and neither have you.

infantrycak
07-25-2008, 02:50 PM
There are only 32 draft boards that matter. None of them end in "dot com".

Exactly. That plus the draftniks force history into their projections. It has been a couple decades since 5 much less 8 LT's went in the first round so they force players down.

And that means bubkiss to the point being made.

rollinstone18
07-25-2008, 02:51 PM
GTF over yourself. Find me one predraft rating that had brown rated higher than low fifties ? You won't find one.

Does it really matter? At best, internet draft boards are created by amatuers. They're about as relevant as mock drafts.

Wolf
07-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Does it really matter? At best, internet draft boards are created by amatuers. They're about as relevant as mock drafts.

I'd love to have an internet draft board

signed,

Charley Casserly :splits:

Specnatz

No but info does leak out about where teams had players ranked, how else would we know SD was going to take Duane Brown with the next selection?

Señor Stan

And yet you know that only the Chargers or Texans would have taken him in that spot?

What if the other 7 teams that drafted OL this year would have been behind the Texans in the draft order?

Thorn
07-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Why does all this matter anyway? He's signed and on the team. This is reminding me of all the arguments over Mario.

J-Russ
07-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Don't know if you guys know his contract numbers yet, but he signed for 5-year, $11.5 million.

infantrycak
07-25-2008, 03:09 PM
No but info does leak out about where teams had players ranked, how else would we know SD was going to take Duane Brown with the next selection?

“We came up one pick short,” said Turner, who along with the rest of the Chargers brass watched Houston trade into the 26th spot and take tackle Duane Brown of Virginia Tech.

Link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080428-9999-1s28chargers.html)

Specnatz
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Link (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080428-9999-1s28chargers.html)

I also recall another team saying the same thing.

Thanks for the link.

Wolf
07-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Why does all this matter anyway? He's signed and on the team. This is reminding me of all the arguments over Mario.

lol reminds me of a "Major league" movie quote

after a home run was hit the fans were talking

It's too high! What do you mean its too high? I mean too hard! Too high, too hard, either way its outta here!

http://www.moviequotes.com/fullquote.cgi?qnum=81724

b0ng
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I can't believe that somebody on this board in particular is talking about how a guy is a bust before he plays a down of football, saying that a player is going to be forever injured after his first starting season, is getting any sort of replies from anybody with half a brain. Let him pitch a hissy fit about who was drafted where, I don't give a ****. All I care about is that the Texans got a few extra picks along with a new OLT (both things I wanted to them to do). Now get his ass coached up and get him in the game :gotexans:

J-Russ
07-25-2008, 03:18 PM

So I guess the consensus was that he was a 2nd round talent..... are you trying to say there's never been a LT that was drafted in the 2nd round that became a franchise tackle?

It doesn't matter that we reached for him, as long as we got him, cause apparently the coaches think he is going to be the franchise LT, so I'm alright with that. Beside the "reach" was only about 15 picks from where he "should've" gone. Although in reality, SD, SF, and SEA was going to take him with their upcoming picks if we hadn't snatch him from the board. So what I'm trying to say is, there were several teams that were more then willing to "reach" for Duane Brown, it's just we got to him before they did.

TK_Gamer
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
what does any of this matter? if he signed low and plays big he will ask for a new contract and probably get it. if just plays adequately doesnt look like what we thought? so what thats what guaranteed money and options are for. You know what I really like about being a Texan's fan?

I get to watch the damm games, enjoy all the drama and action, and I don't have to worry about where so-and-so was ranked on who's board. That's what I love. to each his own though.

dalemurphy
07-25-2008, 03:33 PM
The Duane Brown pick is the worst pick I've seen in 3 years. 3 years ago, New Orleans drafted M.Colston early in the 7th round. He should've been an undrafted free agent. So, they reached about 25 picks. Not Good! and just because he's one of the 10 best players in the draft that doesn't justify them taking him before Mel Kiper thought they should!

PapaL
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't care what anyone else thinks - I'm glad he's a Texan. His is now the best LT we have ever had. Hopefully he pans out or we will be spending more money on that position sooner rather than later.

ObsiWan
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM

Preeeecisely!
Y'all should go back to April and have this argument.

he's who we could get, that fit the coaches' specs, when our turn to pick came up.
The question before this august assembly now is: "Can he play?"

I'm going tomorrow a.m. and check the big fella out.

barrett
07-28-2008, 03:03 AM
thank you boys.

HJam72
07-28-2008, 04:42 AM
Is he really our best LT already? or did you just mean for the long term?

76Texan
07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
What is it ? It's a new QB with his first concussion...three left in the tank. One in '08, one in '09, Schaub is basically done. You two can argue what the rankings were. I saw them....he was the best on the board when we took him. And the point to all of this: the contract will be more in line with what Alberts and Williams got and not what Flacco got. The two OLT's should recieve more. Rivals, GBN all had him fifty or lower.... but when you're qb is being beaten to death and the franchise has never spent a high pick on one hgher than fifty you do what they did. You reach for a guy the o-line coach says can do the job. I watched him in the east-west shirners game....nothing special. Just a guy. We'll see what kind of guru Gibbs truly is. One more point, I haven't heard Tony Ugoh holding out or unhappy. If he makes all sixteen starts in '08 he is going to want to get paid in '09. They are going through that right now in Buffalo with Jason Peters. Unless Ugoh's agent is a fool he will want top five money next season.

GBN top 100: # 54 Duane Brown OT 6-5, 305 Virginia Tech
Scouts .com OT rankings: # 15

ESPN Clayton :

About football top 100: 60. Duane Brown

Rivals OT rankings:

Draft stock # 76 overall
76 Duane Brown

The Huddle Report:
# 66 over all.

You asked for one, I gave you two!

What's the big deal with these draft sites anyway.
They all had picks that were selected 30-70 spots different from what they predicted.

On the other hand, Thewarroomreport's list you mentioned was old (December)
Their more current rankings (April 28) had 3 OTs going in the second.
Cherilus at #34, Baker at #38 and Brown @ #43
And, they were wrong on all 3 counts there (among many other wrongs.)

Ole Miss Texan
07-28-2008, 01:07 PM
You asked for one, I gave you two!

What's the big deal with these draft sites anyway.
They all had picks that were selected 30-70 spots different from what they predicted.

On the other hand, Thewarroomreport's list you mentioned was old (December)
Their more current rankings (April 28) had 3 OTs going in the second.
Cherilus at #34, Baker at #38 and Brown @ #43
And, they were wrong on all 3 counts there (among many other wrongs.)

Exactly... sure the concensus was we reached on Brown... but... I think everyone was wrong about everything during this draft.

Take those rankings and look at Sam Baker- he was a concensus 2nd rounder and the Falcons traded UP to get him in the early 20's.

Second, every team has players ranked differently in relation to others. Especially OL, some guys just would be horrible here but excel on another team.

Third, I'm too lazy to look at those sites.. but let's see where they had all the WR's rated. I'm pretty sure half the mocks had a WR going 11 to buffalo. 0 wr's were taken in the 1st round and the first guy taken was Donnie Avery- how big of a reach was that!? By most boards he didn't crack the top 5 wide outs.

Fourth, flacco at 18? are you serious? reach.

Fifth- players dropping like Mike Jenkins and Rashard Mendenhall? Some had Mendenhall the #1 back in the draft and Jenkins the #1 CB in the draft. If more teams thought this, they would have been drafted higher. Maybe the teams knew something about these guys that they didn't like for their particular team.

Point is: every nfl team is different and views each player differently. Sometimes "reaches" work out and become studs... it's all in how the team/scouts can evaluate that particular player/position and how well they can 'predict' if that player will succeed or fail on their team.

I have to go back to 2006 for the BEST example. 'We' thought Mario would be a better player on THIS team and help THIS team more than Bush would. General concensus was that Bush was the best player in the draft, we thought other wise. Even if every other team in the whole league would have picked Bush if they had the #1 pick, didn't mean we should have. Thankfully, so far, this pick has been a great one for us- sometimes they don't work though. Bush could have been a pro bowler for every single team but us... it would have been a good pick for every other team but us. Mario was considered a reach but its turning out to be quite a good one.

Let's hope Brown can be very similar.