PDA

View Full Version : An Idea so Crazy it might be Brilliant

awtysst
07-22-2008, 06:45 PM
So I had an idea today that was so crazy it might just be brilliant. Here it it is. The Houston Texans trade their 2nd and 5th round picks in next year's draft to Green Bay for Brett Favre.

Rick Smith then gets on the phone and calls up the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears and tell them we need a 1st and 5th for Favre. I think Minnesota would jump at this deal. They know that GB would NEVER trade Favre to them and if we act as the middle man, I bet we can basically turn our 2nd into a 1st rounder and then swap 5ths. If Minnesota wants Favre they have to go through a middle man. Why don't we be that middle man?

So, what do yall think of my idea.

Tailgate
07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Your crazy man... I like you, but your crazy...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-757771289801131975

powerfuldragon
07-22-2008, 06:49 PM
where's that bud light ad?

disaacks3
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
We could do it once...and never be trusted again. Not worth it.

Big Lou
07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
I don't think the League would aprove such a deal, I believe they approve all trades, but very creative. Plus I wouldn't give a 1st and a 5th for a 2 year player at best even though I love Brett Favre, but once again great idea!

Showtime100
07-22-2008, 06:55 PM
So I had an idea today that was so crazy it might just be brilliant. Here it it is. The Houston Texans trade their 2nd and 5th round picks in next year's draft to Green Bay for Brett Favre.

Rick Smith then gets on the phone and calls up the Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears and tell them we need a 1st and 5th for Favre. I think Minnesota would jump at this deal. They know that GB would NEVER trade Favre to them and if we act as the middle man, I bet we can basically turn our 2nd into a 1st rounder and then swap 5ths. If Minnesota wants Favre they have to go through a middle man. Why don't we be that middle man?

So, what do yall think of my idea.

I think GB would smell a rat. Maybe I'm giving GB too much credit, but I think they would see that coming.

mussop
07-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Why not just trade Sage for him straight up?

just posted this on another board, since its relevant here it is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nconroe
Absolutely a bad idea for any team. Farve has been pretty bad last several years, ok, last year better than previous several, just luck. He needs to retire. He was good in what was it, 1993, not 2008.

JUST LUCK?

Favre 2007 stats
RAT 95.7 YARDS 4155 TD 28 INT 15
Takes Green Bay to the NFC Champoinship game while surrounded by arguably less talent than any other playoff team and comes up just 3 pionts shy of beating eventual World Champion NY Giants and going to the SUPERBOWL! JUST LUCK?

Matt Schaub 2007 STATS
RAT 87.2 YDS 2,241 TD 9 INT 9

Sage Rosenfels 2007 STATS
RAT 84.8 YDS 1,684 TD 15 INT 12

Favre hasnt missed a game since 1993. Thats 16 games a year for 15 years. Some of you need to get a grip on youre perspective of this team. You are all feeling a little to warm and fuzzy about the Texans. I have high hopes to but cmon man, if we have a chance to get one of the premier QB's of the last 15 years we should jump all over it. Yeh were building a winner here and going about the right way but the QB position is the most important position there is.

You really think Shaub would mind being tudored by a HOF QB for the next couple of years? Do you honestly believe Favres presence would harm this teams growth? One of the beggest question marks about this team is whether or not Schaub is ready/capable of being the leader of this team. He (Shaub) could learn from one of if not the best leaders the NFL has ever had.

We dont know for sure if Shaub can last a whole year. Sage is a FA after next year. Do you honestly think he'll be back? I know it wont happen but if you could get Favre for a 3rd or 4th round pick or even for Sage, DO IT NOW!

This was in responce to this thread.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110
the OP was this

(from NFL Network)Adam Schefter reports that the best team to transition to from the Packers would be the Houston Texans. He said they do have alot of money tied up in Matt Schaub so might not happen.

CloakNNNdagger
07-22-2008, 07:01 PM

Rep coming your way.

Someone once wrote "A lie may take care of the present, but it has no future." (I don't remember the author)

HJam72
07-22-2008, 07:04 PM

I agree, and I also think we need to stick with Schaub and give him his chance.

Showtime100
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Rep coming your way.

Someone once wrote "A lie may take care of the present, but it has no future." (I don't remember the author)

Got it for ya. I owed disaacks3 from well spoken wisdom a few days back anyway.

Just got this in my inbox folks............

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports/texans_7-22.jpg

It's about time for some football!

brakos82
07-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I bet somebody'll do it, maybe Atlanta, Baltimore, or San Fran.

ATXtexanfan
07-22-2008, 07:45 PM
i think the packers would sue the texans

J-Russ
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
*start clapping slowly, with everyone else joining*

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant!!!

Wait a minute.....

so you want us to spend three 2nd round picks and 4 draft picks total on QBs, in the last two years? especially when the 2nd QB is like 50years old with no guaranteed that we would get better value back, or that he'll even be wanted by other teams.

If other teams do want him, wouldn't they hop on that trade with GB the minute he becomes available?

Not to mention that we're still working on trading another back-up QB for a 2nd rounder.http://216.157.146.180/bbs_images/smilies/wink.gif

So, with that say, I take back my clapping and reject the idea.

HJam72
07-22-2008, 07:55 PM
The idea is slick, but I don't think it's the best course of action. After what this team has been through, it really doesn't need to start outsmarting itself.

ChampionTexan
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Already thought of and dimissed...

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=955453&postcount=221

barrett
07-22-2008, 09:47 PM
furthermore, it was already stated by the nfl that the packers would put a clause in the trade that he couldn't be traded again for at least a year.

threetoedpete
07-23-2008, 12:54 AM
where's that bud light ad?

LOL. Sheftner reported tonight that the packers have contacted no less than twenty teams to test the market. We turned our nose at the Minnesoda offer for Sage. I Kinda doubt they'll turn over the Texan's QB cart two days before camp starts. Ah yeah we have one of the best QB situations in the NFL at QB. Lets jam the up '09 draft, deflate our two guys egos, and throw the season down the toilet before we even set foot in camp.... for a forty year old gun slinger who throws as many interceptions as TDs ? Farve needs to be a good soldier and just fade away.

NFW

where's that band picture ?

Thompson is going to have to trade him or release him outright. If he's on the roster they gotta pay him. I don't think the trade and trade idea will work either. Sherriff Rodger will not sit still for any colusion. Two teams conspiring to screw a third team ...with in their own division....Rodger won't let that stand. Especailly with the jackA$$ senator from Pa., Arlene Spector nipping at his heels.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
07-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Minnesota would laugh at us and only offer a 4th round pick knowing we would be in the same mess Green Bay is currently in if we couldn't deal Favre.

BattleRedToro
07-23-2008, 07:10 AM
The only thing that would stop any group of teams from trading a player multiple times, would be a clause that prevents further trading of that player as previously stated.

Goodell can't stop a trade like that, simpy because the Packers don't want the Vikings to have Favre. One team acting as a middle man for another to acquire a player is not collusion, and the Packers would not be getting screwed either.

I still don't think any trade involving the Texans and Favre is going to happen.

El Tejano
07-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Aside from the fact this is a ridiculous idea, we don't need Favre and all the media distraction he brings at our TC for our first playoff season.

powerfuldragon
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Got it for ya. I owed disaacks3 from well spoken wisdom a few days back anyway.

Just got this in my inbox folks............

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports/texans_7-22.jpg

It's about time for some football!
got that email as well. i really dig that HT with the stylized texas logo. anyone else?

Texecutioner
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Aside from the fact this is a ridiculous idea, we don't need Favre and all the media distraction he brings at our TC for our first playoff season.

First playoff season?? Boy, you sure count your eggs before they hatch. If I knew that the Texans were going to make the playoffs for sure, I'd like my chances with Farve over Sage or Schaub any day. That is a no brainer.

Señor Stan
07-23-2008, 10:55 AM

That, and I would hate to see Farve get all the credit (and you know he would) if the Texans make the playoffs.

That being said, if the Texans make the playoffs I won't be complaining about anything.

gtexan02
07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
IM pretty sure hte Packers already released a statement saying that if Favre were traded, they would include a clause indicating he couldn't be traded again to a divisional opponent

Texans_Chick
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
When I see titles like this, my usual first thought is....

Uh, this is going to be bad. :cool:

Here's my take on Favre to the Texans:

More Brett Favre Madeup News: He's Not a Good Fit for the Texans (http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/07/08/more-brett-favre-madeup-news-hes-not-a-good-fit-for-the-texans/)

I think he could improve any number of teams in the league. I think he is a better fit for teams that have basically a good team but that the quarterback position is an albatross.

Texecutioner
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
That, and I would hate to see Farve get all the credit (and you know he would) if the Texans make the playoffs.

That being said, if the Texans make the playoffs I won't be complaining about anything.

Who cares who got what credit. As a fan I want to see my team win and achieve. I don't think Farve would get all the credit. He didn't even get all the credit last year, and he had arguably the best season of his entire career. I don't give a rat's azz who the media decides to masturbate to, as long as the Texans are winning games. I don't think that Texans fans or other fans are dumb enough to think that it would be all Farve anyway. Farve made a big deal out of not getting Randy Moss, but I might rather have a healthy Andre Johnson. The only thing that Moss can do better than Johnson is leap in the air and grab some balls, but other than that I think Johnson has way better skills. I'd love to watch Farve and Johnson connect. He's never had a player like Johnson to play with in his entire career.

CloakNNNdagger
07-23-2008, 06:32 PM
When I see titles like this, my usual first thought is....

Uh, this is going to be bad. :cool:

Here's my take on Favre to the Texans:

More Brett Favre Madeup News: He's Not a Good Fit for the Texans (http://www.fanhouse.com/2008/07/08/more-brett-favre-madeup-news-hes-not-a-good-fit-for-the-texans/)

I think he could improve any number of teams in the league. I think he is a better fit for teams that have basically a good team but that the quarterback position is an albatross.

TC,

It's like you see it, Favre needs to find a good, well-founded team, while the team looking for Favre needs to be filling their "last piece."

You might be interested in this take on the Favre saga (http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/217575)............it could give pause to those who are disappointed that the front office did not give serious consideration to his presence.

ObsiWan
07-24-2008, 12:01 AM

Excellent point.

mussop
07-24-2008, 01:29 AM
According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the Texans are one of eight teams the Packers think are possible trading partners in a deal for Favre.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/297417

GREEN BAY — As the Green Bay Packers wait to see whether Brett Favre will indeed file his reinstatement papers with the NFL, the club is working its way through a list of teams it sees as potential trading partners for the sort-of-retired quarterback.

According to a league source, the teams on that list include the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Texans in the AFC and the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins in the NFC.

Out of all those teams we are the team with the best shot at the playoffs.

Malloy
07-24-2008, 05:15 AM
First playoff season?? Boy, you sure count your eggs before they hatch.

If they hatch they're no longer eggs :)

beerlover
07-24-2008, 05:42 AM
brain fart :lightbulb:

BattleRedToro
07-24-2008, 07:12 AM
I think he is a better fit for teams that have basically a good team but that the quarterback position is an albatross.

The first team that came to mind was the Titans. :spit:

Texans_Chick
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the Texans are one of eight teams the Packers think are possible trading partners in a deal for Favre.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/mad/sports/297417

GREEN BAY — As the Green Bay Packers wait to see whether Brett Favre will indeed file his reinstatement papers with the NFL, the club is working its way through a list of teams it sees as potential trading partners for the sort-of-retired quarterback.

According to a league source, the teams on that list include the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Texans in the AFC and the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins in the NFC.

Out of all those teams we are the team with the best shot at the playoffs.

Green Bay might see us as a trading partner--though I am guessing they wouldn't want to see Favre there in December. What I don't see is why the Texans would want to give up much of anything for a short term rental and a circus, and take on a Favre sort of salary that Bus Cook would want.

AustinJB
07-24-2008, 05:29 PM
I'd love to watch Farve and Johnson connect. He's never had a player like Johnson to play with in his entire career.

Just for argument's sake....I love AJ, but Sterling Sharpe was no slouch...

PHAROAH
07-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Crazy but good move if we can pick up another 1st round pick but that is highly doubtful that will happen.

HOU-TEX
07-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Just for argument's sake....I love AJ, but Sterling Sharpe was no slouch...

Neither is Donald Driver...

AustinJB
07-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Neither is Donald Driver...

True dat :cool:

:thinking: Still think Sterling was better. That guy was a beast and unstoppable at times...one can only speculate on what he COULD have done if his career wasn't cut short by injury.

RTP2110
08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
So if the Jets traded FaRVe to Minny, they would have to send 3 first rounders to GB. Damn.

threetoedpete
08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
So if the Jets traded FaRVe to Minny, they would have to send 3 first rounders to GB. Damn.

That there thingy is called a poison pill.

thunderkyss
08-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Green Bay might see us as a trading partner--though I am guessing they wouldn't want to see Favre there in December. What I don't see is why the Texans would want to give up much of anything for a short term rental and a circus, and take on a Favre sort of salary that Bus Cook would want.

I'm not knocking the idea.... but it's far from brilliant.

Aside what TC has stated here... basically, what's in it for us?? We put a plan in motion two years ago.... I seriously doubt picking up a HOF QB for a year or two was part of that plan.

Far as I can see, we're right on track to becoming a perennial play-off team. Why mess with it??