PDA

View Full Version : Attention: Training Camp Dates Changed

Vinny
07-21-2008, 06:40 PM
straight from the .com...

Afternoon practices on Saturday, July 26; Sunday, July 27; and Friday, Aug. 1 were cancelled.

The updated schedule is listed below and remains subject to change.

2008 Houston Texans Training Camp presented by Wachovia

When: Saturday, July 26 8:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Sunday, July 27 8:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Tuesday, July 29 8:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Wednesday, July 30 8:30 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.
Thursday, July 31 7:15 p.m. - 9:15 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 2 8:30 a.m. - 10: 45 a.m.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=4412

barrett
07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
does this mean that we're looking so good on paper and in ota's that we are going to be taking it easy, or does it mean that Kubiak is really worried about depth with the 80 man roster?

GlassHalfFull
07-21-2008, 07:07 PM
does this mean that we're looking so good on paper and in ota's that we are going to be taking it easy, or does it mean that Kubiak is really worried about depth with the 80 man roster?

I think it means it is hot as hell, and they don't want fans and players collapsing.

BSofA04
07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
IIRC those afternoon practices from 3:15 pm to 5:15 pm would have been a killer. Smart move by the Texans to limit heat exposure during the hottest part of the day. Or at least move them to the bubble?????

Now this makes me wonder if those practices are cancelled to the public, or cancelled completely? Know what I mean?

Bull Pen 1
07-21-2008, 07:17 PM
IIRC those afternoon practices from 3:15 pm to 5:15 pm would have been a killer. Smart move by the Texans to limit heat exposure during the hottest part of the day. Or at least move them to the bubble?????

Now this makes me wonder if those practices are cancelled to the public, or cancelled completely? Know what I mean?

What were they thinking, it's always HOT in Houston this time of year. You would think someone would have thought of the heat ahead of time.

aj.
07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
The entire league is concerned about having 7 or 8 fewer guys to help them get through camp and preseason. It's not just the Texans. Whatever they can do to help reduce the risk of injury prior to Week 1 is fine by me.

GuerillaBlack
07-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I doubt its the heat. Hasn't this summer been a little better?

TexansLucky13
07-21-2008, 09:10 PM
I doubt its the heat. Hasn't this summer been a little better?

If it didn't have anything to do with the heat, they wouldn't have canceled only the afternoon sessions IMO.

I think the heat a big part in it but like aj said, there is more to it.

Texans_Chick
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM

In the Texans training camp preview on Sunday, Kubiak mentioned that the afternoon sessions were going to be easy and mostly used for teaching.

Smart way of doing things with 80 man rosters and what happened to the Redskins with Zorn saying that they were going to have a tougher camp.

This Hashmarks link (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-253/Colts--Texans-slated-to-lead-in-double-sessions.html) is worth a read about training camp:

Just got my first look at the Titans' full training camp schedule and immediately looked to see how many full-team, double-session practices Jeff Fisher had scheduled.

In recent years, based on the heat and whether players report in shape, a lot of coaches have limited how many days they hold two full practices.

(If a team's two practices include one that's special teams only, that doesn't count as a double.)

So here's the division breakdown, subject to coaches' alterations:

Indianapolis: 8

Houston: 8 (one day with a practice with the Saints in New Orleans and one on their own)

Jacksonville: 4

Tennessee: 3 (one day in joint sessions with the Rams)

While I'd have guessed the Texans to have the most, I would have expected the Colts to have the fewest. But based on their appearance in the Hall of Fame Game, they also could have started camp earlier than they do.

So yeah, Houston has a lot of training camp scheduled, but the afternoon sessions are for teaching.

painekiller
07-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Just to add to this, Kubiak stated the afternoon practice was going to be without helmets or pads.

I saw a report earlier talking about how the high number of injuries maybe related to the heat and the intensity of the practice schedule, well maybe Kubiak saw that report?

b0ng
07-22-2008, 10:39 PM
I wonder if the incoming bad weather will affect the training camps coming up.

tsip
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Caper's practice sessions were also questioned as a contributing factor to the # of players on IR, and players being 'worn down' in the later stages of ball games. What are other teams doing so differently from us to keep their players off the IR?

I know that Kubiak likes to rotate players throughout the game to keep 'fresh legs' in there for the 4th qtr and, with better competition amongst the players, the level of play throughout the game should be better than ever. Now, we need to produce at ruuning back, which-in my opinion-is the biggest question mark we have..

There is no doubt that Houston's heat is tough on our players--here's hoping Kube's and company can contribute to a 'kinder' training camp on the injury side.

HOU-TEX
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
I know that Kubiak likes to rotate players throughout the game to keep 'fresh legs' in there for the 4th qtr and, with better competition amongst the players, the level of play throughout the game should be better than ever. Now, we need to produce at ruuning back, which-in my opinion-is the biggest question mark we have..

There is no doubt that Houston's heat is tough on our players--here's hoping Kube's and company can contribute to a 'kinder' training camp on the injury side.

Well, it was definitely tough on Jamie Dukes. LMAO! It looked like he was going to pass out on the NFLN show last year.

nunusguy
07-26-2008, 08:42 AM
I dunno, why doesn't McNair break down and spend a few bucks on providing some kind of roof or other cover from the sun for those bleachers fans view the practice from ? Even at 8 or 9 AM, heat index is probably approaching 100 degrees on some summer days in Houston.

aj.
07-26-2008, 12:30 PM
I thought it was rather pleasant out there this morning.

nunusguy
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
AJ you're such a tough guy. What a man !