PDA

View Full Version : Which rookie will have the most impact this year??

Texans_Fan59
07-21-2008, 01:49 AM
As training camp is on the horizon, i thought it would be fun to see who you think at this point "which rookie will have the most impact this year". This doesnt mean in the long run, but for the sake of the 2008-2009 season.

Im my opinion, i think that frank okam will have the most impact, as i forsee him cracking our DT rotation. What do yall think ? Any Dominique Barber fans out there? lol

Allstar
07-21-2008, 05:26 AM
Maybe you should restart this thread with a poll?

I vote for Duane Brown. I'm sure he will have the most impact, whether it be good or bad.

whiskeyrbl
07-21-2008, 05:30 AM
I think it will be a toss up between Brown and Adibi.

beerlover
07-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Duane Brown is expected to be the starting LT, still has to get through training camp, survive Gibbs & beat out experienced vet starter from last year Ephraim Salaam.

by mid-season depending on Duntas rehab Antwaun Molden may have to start, learning by trial & error. He does have the size, speed & mechanics to be a starter in this league he could really surprise people.

Slayton is going to slash his way into some big plays how many? has to be played out as the running backs transition to a new system.

Adibi is going to have to make a name for himself on special teams first, Barber as well. our special teams should be really, really good.

Okam could plug a huge hole inside, space eater with surprising speed to collapse & pressure the QB.

If Brink makes an impact this year we're in trouble, but I have no doubt he'll have a valueable role on this team as time marches on.

:wesmantexanfan:

gtal98
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
My hope is that it's Slaton, because we need a RB to have a breakout season. I think Molden may turn out to have a big impact later in the season though like Bennett did last year.

Polo
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Brown

DBCooper
07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
They all need to make an impact for this team to make the next step.

I have high hopes for most of them.

I really like Adibi. No Fear!

Brown needs to be a beast.

Slayton needs to be the next coming of Reggie, well maybe not Reggie, but you get my point.

Molden needs to be ready to start now.

Okam could be the difference the defense needs against the run.

Barber could be a sleeper.

TexansFanatic
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM

I have high hopes for most of them.

I really like Adibi. No Fear!

Brown needs to be a beast.

Slayton needs to be the next coming of Reggie, well maybe not Reggie, but you get my point.

Molden needs to be ready to start now.

Okam could be the difference the defense needs against the run.

Barber could be a sleeper.

You just reminded me what a FANTASTIC draft we just had. Thanks.

gary
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Everyone on the team needs to step up this season must step up and have a great season for this team to go anywhere.

Seņor Stan
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM
What rookie will have the biggest impact?

Okam.

If he falls down he might leave a crater.

gtal98
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
LOL. Good one!

barberman
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Duane Brown can possibly be the difference between a losing season or the Texans making the Playoffs. Here`s hoping for the latter.

nero THE zero
07-21-2008, 01:18 PM

I don't know if I buy into that. A team that is relying on its rookies to make a big impact isn't a very good team.

I could see the case for Brown needing to make an impact if he turns out to win the starting job. And I could see the case for Okam needing to make a big impact given the strength of the running game for most teams on our schedule. But other than that, barring injury, I think I'd rather our rookies not need to make a big impact this year; to be able to sit back on the sidelines, take in the NFL, and learn for a year or two.

gary
07-21-2008, 01:53 PM
I do know that both Matt and AJ need to have an impact.

Texecutioner
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm going to roll with Okam as a sleeper pick to have a good impact. It has to be something about the guyto have had all of that hype in college.

Maybe being an under achiever and late pick will motivate this lovable big guy into a mean beast.

gary
07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm going to roll with Okam as a sleeper pick to have a good impact. It has to be something about the guyto have had all of that hype in college.

Maybe being an under achiever and late pick will motivate this lovable big guy into a mean beast. I hope so.

Ryan
07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Hopefully Duane Brown or Slaton.

gary
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Hopefully Duane Brown or Slaton.Out of these two I hope that it's going to be Slaton.

BSofA04
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Probably Slaton but I would love to see Duane Brown and Frank Okam making some major impacts.

HOU-TEX
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Considering Brown is our LT....I kinda hope he doesn't have much of an impact. If you know what I mean. :thinking:

I hope Molden can have an impact on our secondary. IMO, our secondary was a primary source of our defensive failures last season. If Molden can have any impact at all on defense it'll give us a much better chance of winning.

:texflag:

HJam72
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM
Williams: 23 sacks
Okoye: 12 sacks
Johnson: 7 sacks
Ryans: 9 sacks
Colvin: 8 sacks
more from a few others

There's your impact. Here's your result:

Bennet: 7 interceptions
DRob: 5 interceptions
etc.

I know this is uneducated, dreamy, guesswork, but I just had to say it. Not exactly rookies either.

badboy
07-21-2008, 03:28 PM
My thoughts;

Duane Brown will have his hands full IF he is the starter game one which I expect. I anticipate a rough "learn as you go" season with ups and downs. It will be a successful season if he remains starter for 16 games. That will mean he was healthy and didn't anger the coaches which will give him some leeway but not too much as Salaam is waiting. Maybe Spencer.

Antwan Molden has been identified as further along at this point than Bennett but I'm not sure how that translates to game play. He could have a lot of opportunity to be goat or hero as I expect QBs to test him early and often. If he keeps his head on and remembers to breathe, he could be your guy. And lets not write off Reeves to quickly. I think he will do better than some expect. I have Molden starting later in year probably due to injury somewhere.

Steve Slaton could be the real deal. I really, really like this player especially as a 3rd rounder. Fast,fast and did I say fast? I think a lot of Dlinemen are going to get strained necks watching him motorcycle by. I predict that Kubes will find it hard to keep him off the field at some position. He is my pick. Like another said, we really need a break through at RB this season.

Adibi sounds good but I give nod to Diles for now. I can see a LB crew of Diles, Adibi and Ryans before end of season. Morlon just may get pushed this year.

Frank Okam oh, man Okam! I like this guy and watched him this last weekend in repeat against Bush's team in Championship. Frankie O. did all right. I'm thinking TJ is coming on this season like a locomotive and Okam may have to back up. A steal in 5th.

Dominque Barber intrigues me. Quietly doing well since the draft and has impressed his coaches. Hmm! Got a lot of players in front of him, but may surprise some by last part of season as injuries will probably hit this group again. Should see some playing time due to attrition.

Alex Brinks is going to be a fascinating player for me. I mean Smith has gotten a starting OLB with a 7th, a starting center for a 6th, I expect Brinks to be traded for a high draft pick later this season as QBs start to go down. Say a 4th?

If you consider that we actually got 8 players with draft picks, it was a very good off season. Let me also say Colvin will earn his $.

badboy
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Williams: 23 sacks
Okoye: 12 sacks
Johnson: 7 sacks
Ryans: 9 sacks
Colvin: 8 sacks
more from a few others

There's your impact. Here's your result:

Bennet: 7 interceptions
DRob: 5 interceptions
etc.

I know this is uneducated, dreamy, guesswork, but I just had to say it. Not exactly rookies either.If I could get a guarantee of 50% of your figures, I'd take it in a minute.

Mr teX
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Has to be brown b/c he's the only one that will have the most time/reps to directly impact our team; for good or bad.

badboy
07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Has to be brown b/c he's the only one that will have the most time/reps to directly impact our team; for good or bad.Let's say just for arguement, he gives up 4 qb sacks in 16 games. Holds his spot but does not over whelm any opponent. Gets pulled from a couple games for rookie mistakes but continues to start. Gets flagged for 20 penalties for 5 yarders. He still gets time/reps but do you give him "the most impact" trophy? To me, this scenario is quite possible and I would be ok with it.

rmartin65
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Slaton will have the best impact by numbers. Brown might have the best total impact though.