PDA

View Full Version : Manning Out 4-6 Weeks

MightyTExan
07-15-2008, 08:22 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
Colts quarterback Peyton Manning will miss four-to-six weeks after undergoing surgery on Monday to remove an infected bursa sac from his left knee.

As a result, he possibly could miss all of the preseason, and perhaps the regular-season opener on September 7.

Team president Bill Polian said that Manning had been receiving treatment for an inflamed bursa sac since February.

Yay?

PapaL
07-15-2008, 08:26 AM
No way in hell Manning misses opening day.

Hardcore Texan
07-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey Peyton, I go your bursa sac right here pal.

:ohsnap:

mancunian
07-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I agree there PapaL, even if not 100% he makes the first competive game at the new stadium.

Maybe he'll aggrevate the injury and miss another 4 weeks though....I can but prey.

hobie
07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Get it done now..not like he really needs TC much anyways.

I don't think much of it actually.

El Tejano
07-15-2008, 03:23 PM
It's going to be mighty hard to move around in the pocket. You know what to do Mario!

Here's some old school advice for our defense!!!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://whall.org/blog/files/sweep-the-leg-large.jpg&imgrefurl=http://whall.org/blog/tag/stuff-you-dont-want-to-misc/&h=558&w=725&sz=47&hl=en&start=5&tbnid=UVdrwC6k4b30jM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSweep%2BThe%2BLeg%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den %26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.everytshirt.com/images/products/Movie_T-Shirts/small/Sweep-The-Leg-Karate-Kid-T-shirt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.everytshirt.com/80s-Retro-T-shirts.aspx%3Fpage%3D4&h=150&w=150&sz=9&hl=en&start=55&tbnid=kuFy5jb1yskdOM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=96&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSweep%2BThe%2BLeg%26start%3D40%26gbv% 3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN

GuerillaBlack
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Manning doesn't really need much of TC anyway.

TexansLucky13
07-15-2008, 04:01 PM
This either means nothing or very little, but either way it's only good news for us Texans fans.

That said, just like any player I wish him a healthy recovery.

Señor Stan
07-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Peyton, I go your bursa sac right here pal.

:ohsnap:

I thought the headline said "Peyton Busts a Sac". Now that smarts!

All kidding aside...a bursa sac is what kept Marvin Harrison out for 11 games last year.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin'.

WWJD
07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I saw Troy Aikman play once with a bursa sac problem in his elbow..he didn't even miss any plays. Guess it depends on what part of your body is injured and how much pain you can take.

Double Barrel
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I saw Troy Aikman play once with a bursa sac problem in his elbow..he didn't even miss any plays. Guess it depends on what part of your body is injured and how much pain you can take.

So you're saying that Manning is a big wuss, yeah? :victory: j/k!

GuerillaBlack
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Manning has only missed one game his entire career.

Ole Miss Texan
07-15-2008, 05:12 PM
Smart move getting it done as early as possible. Best of luck to him- he's one of the best QB's ever (notice I said one of the best as to not derail this thread talking about other qb's). The guys one of the biggest competitors in all of football, he'll get it done.

With that said, it may give us a little better chance to get after him. I'd like a sack from Mario, Amobi, and Colvin!

Hervoyel
07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
If one of ours has surgery long before training camp starts, misses a practice because of swelling, or comes out of a game early for no apparent reason then worry. Worry a lot until it's proven that you don't need to.

If one of theirs is having his knee replaced, is injured and listed as "Doubtful", or is a game time decision following a night where he passed a kidney stone the size of a soccer ball then he'll probably start the next day and have a record setting first half.

I always assume everyone on the other team is playing at 133% unless I can pull up their hometown paper and read an obituary.

Speedy
07-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Best of luck to him- he's one of the best QB's ever (notice I said one of the best as to not derail this thread talking about other qb's)

Appreciate it. This board just doesn't need another Carr thread.:shades:

TexansLucky13
07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Thats a shame.

I want the Texans to beat the Colts WITH Manning, not without him. Rooting for or cheering on injury is classless.

I agree that cheering for injury is classless 100%, but honestly I don't care if he plays us or not. I just want to win.

I do enjoy seeing the fear in Manning's eyes when Mario is within arms reach, though.

:texflag:

StarStruck
07-16-2008, 01:47 AM
The Texans are now going into year seven if not mistaken. It's time for a bring it on attitude instead of hoping an great player from an opposing team is PUP when it's time to meet.

TexanSam
07-16-2008, 02:12 AM
I just want the Texans to win. I'm not rooting for them to beat the Colts with Manning or without Manning. I'm just rooting for them to beat Indy regardless of who plays for the opposing team.

PapaL
07-16-2008, 07:09 AM
I think I have the same chance at starting at QB for Indy as Sorgi does.

WWJD
07-16-2008, 10:28 AM
So you're saying that Manning is a big wuss, yeah? :victory: j/k!

Ha! No not quite....saw Troy playing with this huge knot on his elbow...they said he had burst his elbow's bursa sac but he kept on playing! He was extremely tough though.

They're all tough to me.

Texans_Chick
07-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Here's a catch all article I did about Manning's injury:

Favre Schmarve: What's the Real Deal With Peyton Manning's Injury? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/16/favre-schmarve-whats-the-real-deal-with-peyton-mannings-injur/)

Just noodling around a bit on the web to get info so you don't have to. It's stuff I was curious about.

WWJD
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Seems odd that he's had the same infection twice. Sounds painful...

Hooston Texan
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
There is no more important player to his team than Peyton Manning is to the Colts. With Peyton, the Colts are, at worst, an 11-5 team. Put Jim Sorgi--the guy who couldn't beat out Brooks Bollinger at Wisconsin--behind center, and the Colts look an awful lot like a 5-11 team. Tom Brady is probably the only player who comes close, but I think a Bradyless Patriot team would wipe the floor with the sans-Manning Colts.

Of course, this is all theoretical. I'll believe that Manning is wearing street clothes on an autumn Sunday only when I see it.

As for whether I'd rather see us beat a Colts team playing with Manning or without: I DON'T CARE. An askerisked win counts every bit as much as a great win when you're in the playoff picture (OK, maybe it does help in a distant tiebreaker scenario, but in reality, it means nothing). Does any Rocket/Hakeem fan think that the two titles are tainted because Michael Jordan was retired/golfing/minor-league-baseball/on-tacit-suspension-for-gambling in 1994 and 1995?

Didn't think so.

PapaL
07-16-2008, 11:47 AM
There is no more important player to his team than Peyton Manning is to the Colts. With Peyton, the Colts are, at worst, an 11-5 team. Put Jim Sorgi--the guy who couldn't beat out Brooks Bollinger at Wisconsin--behind center, and the Colts look an awful lot like a 5-11 team. Tom Brady is probably the only player who comes close, but I think a Bradyless Patriot team would wipe the floor with the sans-Manning Colts.

Of course, this is all theoretical. I'll believe that Manning is wearing street clothes on an autumn Sunday only when I see it.

As for whether I'd rather see us beat a Colts team playing with Manning or without: I DON'T CARE. An askerisked win counts every bit as much as a great win when you're in the playoff picture (OK, maybe it does help in a distant tiebreaker scenario, but in reality, it means nothing). Does any Rocket/Hakeem fan think that the two titles are tainted because Michael Jordan was retired/golfing/minor-league-baseball/on-tacit-suspension-for-gambling in 1994 and 1995?

Didn't think so.

I wouldn't use the couldn't beat player x out in college line.

-Brian "Started over Tom Brady" Grease

Hooston Texan
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't use the couldn't beat player x out in college line.

-Brian "Started over Tom Brady" Grease

True enough, but with Sorgi, there is nothing else to go by. The next meaningful snap he takes in the NFL will be his first.

Vinny
07-16-2008, 12:11 PM
why can't he ever be out 4-6 weeks during the season?

Double Barrel
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
Ha! No not quite....saw Troy playing with this huge knot on his elbow...they said he had burst his elbow's bursa sac but he kept on playing! He was extremely tough though.

They're all tough to me.

I agree with you. I was just playin' around. :D

WWJD
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
I agree with you. I was just playin' around. :D

I know! :)

Texans_Chick
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
why can't he ever be out 4-6 weeks during the season?

One theory (http://www.fanhouse.com/2006/09/18/peyton-manning-is-evil/).

(It is hard to write stuff when your team gets crushed, but I have to say that is one of my mostest favorite things I've written. Mostly because humorless Colts fans didn't get it, and I had to explain it in the comments).

ChampionTexan
07-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Well, if Manning does have to miss a game, and his 160 consecutive start streak ends, the Colts can always trade for Favre, and keep his 253 game streak going.

:backsout:

TexansLucky13
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM

(It is hard to write stuff when your team gets crushed, but I have to say that is one of my mostest favorite things I've written. Mostly because humorless Colts fans didn't get it, and I had to explain it in the comments).

Some dude named Blake is stalking Peyton at the end of that articles comments section, LOL.

I agree though. I have never liked Peyton for two reasons:

1) I am a Patriots fan by association
2) I am a Texans fan until death

Both of those are reasons to hate Mr. Manning.

PapaL
07-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Some dude named Blake is stalking Peyton at the end of that articles comments section, LOL.

I agree though. I have never liked Peyton for two reasons:

1) I am a Patriots fan by association
2) I am a Texans fan until death

Both of those are reasons to hate Mr. Manning.

OMG too funny!

ummmm dose Peyton read these?

ummm Peyton please read this ummmm i will be playing in a Bantam football game and coach wants me to geta TD ummmm idk but i started out when i started in september. as a D-B and now i am on Offense and Deffense what should i do?

TK_Gamer
07-17-2008, 01:41 PM
If one of ours has surgery long before training camp starts, misses a practice because of swelling, or comes out of a game early for no apparent reason then worry. Worry a lot until it's proven that you don't need to.

If one of theirs is having his knee replaced, is injured and listed as "Doubtful", or is a game time decision following a night where he passed a kidney stone the size of a soccer ball then he'll probably start the next day and have a record setting first half.

I always assume everyone on the other team is playing at 133% unless I can pull up their hometown paper and read an obituary.

lol, so true!

HOU-TEX
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
The Colts are bringing in some camp arms. Oddly enough, they're both fat.

Jared Lorenzen, Quinn Gray join the Colts

The Colts will sign QB Jared Lorenzen Thursday, reports Adam Schefter.

The Hefty Lefty isn't done yet! The Colts need another arm in camp with Peyton Manning out, but Lorenzen could have a chance to stick if they decide to carry three quarterbacks into the season. Profootballtalk reported Wednesday they were also going to sign Quinn Gray, and perhaps one of the two could make the team.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=118440

Ole Miss Texan
07-24-2008, 01:09 PM
So Lorenzen goes from backing up Eli to backing up Peyton, Does anybody else find this somewhat humorous?

Hardcore Texan
07-24-2008, 02:37 PM

I remember that article. How on Earth did you have the energy to keep re-explaining yourself to those people. Wow, some Indy fans really need a reading comprehension class or two. You were accused of whining, making up excuses, etc. If I were a colts fan I would have been questioning why the Peyton was still in there also. You were right all along, he's evil.

CloakNNNdagger
07-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Here's a catch all article I did about Manning's injury:

Favre Schmarve: What's the Real Deal With Peyton Manning's Injury? (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/07/16/favre-schmarve-whats-the-real-deal-with-peyton-mannings-injur/)

Just noodling around a bit on the web to get info so you don't have to. It's stuff I was curious about.

Most bursa problems do not involve infection, only inflammation (such as Aikman). Many commonly involve only swelling without pain (with just tenderness), others modest discomfort with little swelling. Removal of a bursa result in relatively little long term implications as the surgery doesn't require joint entry. However, when there is gross infection of the bursa, especially recurrence of infection, not only can the thickened scarified bursa not be effectively removed sometimes but the resultant tissue changes can lead to compromised function of the adjacent joint. Postoperatively, bleeding into the area can create even more inflammation and scarification. One of the greatest worries that a football player would have with Peyton's history is additional direct traumas (blunt or sharp, and not necessarilly severe) to the knee cap area, touching off a recurrent cascade of events. When inflammatory bursitis recurs, steroid injections are not an unusual frontline treatment approach (which in themselves can encourage infection)..........and with multiple series of injections, you begin worrying about weakening the surrounding stabilizing ligaments and tendons, which can in turn increase the likelihood of a knee joint injury. Manning's greatest temptation and worst course is to get his competitive personality to take over and return too soon...........a course that could lead him to a more prolonged recovery, if not a poorer long term prognosis.

It is yet to be seen how ready Manning will be for the beginning of the season.

BattleRedToro
07-27-2008, 08:34 AM

I feel bad for you, like your talent is somewhat wasted.

Not because of anything that you are doing wrong.

Instead, because you write a very witty and humorous piece with some very important underlying questions, only to have it read by morons that can't understand your points and have no appreciation for your humorous delivery.

I know you must have wanted to reach through your computer screen and shake those ID10TS screaming, " Wake up!":scarygirl:

CloakNNNdagger
07-29-2008, 09:45 PM
From the Indy Star (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080729/SPORTS03/80729037/1100)

Dungy made it clear the team will not put Manning on the practice field until he’s ready.

“Our big thing is we’re not going to rush him out here to try to get him back for week 3 or week 4 of the preseason,’’ Dungy said. “When he’s ready to go, he’ll be out and hopefully does get some preseason time in.’’

edo783
07-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Kind of sounds like he probably wont see any preseason and maybe even a game or two of regular. Perhaps he isn't doing as well as they were hoping. They have him "Under cover" so speak and out of sight in Indy and no press could see him. I wonder why?

WWJD
07-29-2008, 10:59 PM
They can afford for him to miss the first few games. It's much more important that he's there at the end of the season I would think. And healthy. He's far too good a player to risk any unnecessary preseason reinjury. And Peyton is probably the most prepared player in the league.

CloakNNNdagger
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
no matter who you are, a QB has to be at least on the practice field to regain or maintain TIMING with your receivers. The more Peyton remains off the field, the likelier he is to lose that timing edge, and the longer the period to regain that geling with his receivers.

HJam72
07-30-2008, 08:40 AM
no matter who you are, a QB has to be at least on the practice field to regain or maintain TIMING with your receivers. The more Peyton remains off the field, the likelier he is to lose that timing edge, and the longer the period to regain that geling with his receivers.

....and the more that knees gonna hurt when Mario lands on him a few times. :mario2: