PDA

View Full Version : Favre Thread - Traded to Jets

Pages : 1 [2] 3

gary
07-23-2008, 10:14 AM
Why does Brett want to tamper?

Hooston Texan
07-23-2008, 10:16 AM
Also interesting news - Phonce records have been traced from a cell phone that was issued to Brett by the Packers. Records show numerous calls to the MIN HC and OC.

All of a sudden those tampering charges have sturdy legs to stand on.

Hilarious. Chalk up some draft picks for the Packers, courtesy of the Vikings--and they didn't even have to trade Favre to get them. Last year, the Niners had to give the Bears a pick or two for talking to Lance Briggs.

That's why you NEVER pull any hanky-panky with the company phone.

infantrycak
07-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Why does Brett want to tamper?

The restriction isn't on the players it is on the teams. Players all want the tampering because it let's them leverage teams against each other.

gary
07-23-2008, 10:53 AM
The restriction isn't on the players it is on the teams. Players all want the tampering because it let's them leverage teams against each other.I see now I thought the restriction was for both sides.

infantrycak
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I see now I thought the restriction was for both sides.

Maybe the NFL has the power and just doesn't use it, but if you notice in every tampering case so far the team gets fined/punished and nothing happens to the player.

gary
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Maybe the NFL has the power and just doesn't use it, but if you notice in every tampering case so far the team gets fined/punished and nothing happens to the player.Yes I've noticed that but I think it should go both ways.

Second Honeymoon
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
with this report on ESPN, Favre looks to be pretty much screwed. They have phone records and dumbarse Favre called the Vikings on a team-issued phone. Favre knew he wasn't allowed to contact another team but it looks like he did. I don't know if there is any wiggle room if you are on the 'Retired' list or not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3501459

One thing is for sure. Goodell wants Favre to play this year. That much is already known and unless this tampering charge somehow derails Favre's interest, Favre will end up somewhere.

I also think that the Vikings may not be completely liable in this situation as the reports on the phone records show that FAVRE called the Vikings and not the other way around. They could suspend Favre though but doubt Goodell wants that to happen. Favre playing in 2008 helps the league. The NFL regular season is barely 5 months long...they love stories and they love drama (because the public eats it up)....just not police blotter.

Just have the Vikings give up next years 3rd Rounder and a conditional 1st Rounder if the Vikings make the SuperBowl. Just make this all go away and get Favre back in pads. Pretty freaking simple and the Packers can live with their decision to not take Favre back. If Favre wants to play, he will play and due to the situation the Packers arent going to get a lot for him.

Favre got SELF-OWNED or cellphoned...however you want to put it :)
dude made a dumb mistake and it may cost him his best chance at returning to a decent team.

WWJD
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
If he's friends with the Vikings guys who's to say he's not just calling them on a personal level? Something he may have done tons of times before.....

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2008, 12:08 PM
If he's friends with the Vikings guys who's to say he's not just calling them on a personal level? Something he may have done tons of times before.....

I don't think that matters.

gary
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Isn't there a way to find out was said on the phone?

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Not unless the Department of Homeland Security thinks they're security risks and has their phones tapped.

Phone conversations are not generally recorded.

gary
07-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Not unless the Department of Homeland Security thinks they're security risks and has their phones tapped.

Phone conversations are not generally recorded.I guess we will never know what was said then I knew that I don't know what I was thinking.

PapaL
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I guess we will never know what was said then.

You don't need evidence; just pure speculation will cast a shadow of doubt over someones integrity.

PapaL
07-23-2008, 12:33 PM

That's why people have personal lines and they have business lines. Anything that can be misconstrued against your employer should not be done on company time with company resources; that's why there is a personal line/time.

gary
07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
He should have used his personal line if he was not tampering.

Imatexanfan
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
Farve to Houston for Schaub and 2009 2nd rd pick!!!:kingkong:

www.imadeadoodie.com

hilarious

GP
07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
This is from an nfl.com story, which then sends you to a Wisconsin newspaper website...featuring a story posted there on July 23: List Of Possible Trade Partners For Favre (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/297417)

Quotes from the story:

According to a league source, the teams on that list include the New York Jets, the Baltimore Ravens, the Miami Dolphins and the Houston Texans in the AFC and the Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Atlanta Falcons and Washington Redskins in the NFC

I doubt that the Texans are interested. I bet we're listed because we're in the AFC and Ted knows (A) Kubiak and Smith probably are NOT interested, and (B) Brett wouldn't come here anyways.

My bet is that the commissioner is going to force a trade, and Brett will land in either Tampa Bay or Atlanta. Redskins would have a shot just because Snyder is dumb enough to pay a lot for a superstar name.

I don't see the Dolphins having enough to surround Brett with, nor would Parcells trade away draft picks at this stage of the team's development. The Jets would be an odd fit, IMO, and the Ravens seem to have a log jam at QB...besides, they have a strong scouting team which probably would not want to let go of multiple draft picks for an aging QB. The Panthers? John Fox is not going to bet his future on a QB that he probably wouldn't be able to get even if he asked for it.

I think Brett is a short-term solution for either Tampa Bay or Atlanta. Gruden has QBs that he'll dump in a heartbeat if he gets a proven QB (especially one he worked with in GB). Atlanta is a strong possibility for two reasons (1) It would give Matt Ryan a year to ride the pine and crawl before being asked to walk, and (2) It would be a homecoming for Favre, a sort of "going away, one last ride!" gig that might give Arthur Blank some much needed distance from the constant negative pub of the Vick debacle.

(Sigh) I can't believe the commissioner is basically FORCING a team to go against its will on something. I really figured that he was a stern and objective commissioner, but apparently his team of advisers and maybe even the NFLPA is convincing him that it's bad for the NFL's image to allow GB to shut Brett out of a return? I dunno. This is about to boil over.

All I can say for sure is that he ain't going to (A) an NFC North team, and (B) nor is he going to go to a strong contender that might meet up with the Packers at some point in a pivotal game.

The Pencil Neck
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
He should have used his personal line if he was not tampering.

You really shouldn't be contacting people your contract says you're not supposed to be calling. And I believe there are standard clauses saying you can't be talking to the coaches of another team and vice versa.

There were already charges of tampering and the NFL might have the right to request Favre's home phone records as well. So even if he had made the calls from his home lines, he still might have been in trouble.

GlassHalfFull
07-23-2008, 03:42 PM
According to the Chron, Tampa Bay is the most likely destination for Farve.

Report: NFL keeping tabs on Favre situation (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5903537.html)

MILWAUKEE — NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is monitoring the ongoing rift between the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre.

A person with direct knowledge of Goodell's interest said the commissioner has spoken with Packers management several times recently as tensions mounted between the three-time MVP and his team.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the talks.

ESPN.com first reported Goodell's interest in the Favre predicament, indicating that Goodell encouraged Packers general manager Ted Thompson to survey teams around the league to try to find a trade partner in hopes of resolving it quickly.

With the Packers committed to moving forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starter and Favre apparently still intent on reversing his decision to retire in March — although there have been no reports that Favre has formally petitioned Goodell for reinstatement — the best outcome for both parties could be a trade.

And Tampa Bay is emerging as perhaps the most likely destination for Favre, although it is unclear whether Favre would be willing to play for the Buccaneers.

NFL.com reported Tuesday that the Packers had spoken to several teams to gauge their interest in a trade for Favre. Tampa Bay officials have publicly downplayed interest in trading for Favre, but Buccaneers quarterback Chris Simms told the St. Petersburg Times that Bucs general manager Bruce Allen asked him about Favre last week.

"He asked if I felt Brett would be able to come back and be good here if he didn't have a lot of reps in training camp," Simms said, according to the paper. "I said I thought he would but there would have to be some compromise with coach (Jon) Gruden. He'll just want the play called and to drop back and throw it in there. But it's something we talked about."

Gruden was a Packers assistant coach from 1992-94 and runs a version of the West Coast offense Favre would be familiar with.

The Packers play the Buccaneers Sept. 28 in Tampa.

Double Barrel
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I like Favre, but he doesn't have a leg to stand on, IMHO. Perhaps the NFL's front office will force the issue, but the Packers hold the cards and should have the right to make whatever decision(s) is best for their team.

Corrosion
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Condensed
All I can say for sure is that he ain't going to (A) an NFC North team, and (B) nor is he going to go to a strong contender that might meet up with the Packers at some point in a pivotal game.

Without Favre the Packers wont be in any games that matter ... Its a little much to expect Rodgers to come in and get that team to the play-offs much less the NFC Championship game . With Favre they probably win the division , without Favre they are picking in the top 5 in next years draft .

TexanSam
07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Without Favre the Packers wont be in any games that matter ... Its a little much to expect Rodgers to come in and get that team to the play-offs much less the NFC Championship game . With Favre they probably win the division , without Favre they are picking in the top 5 in next years draft .

I wouldn't go that far. We don't know how well Aaron Rodgers may turn out to be. For all we know, he may be like Steve Young who sat behind a legend while he waited his turn.

euro-Texan
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Did anyone just see that? didn't even pick my head up unl after segment was over. Thankfully the DVR caught it. Eric picked the Texans as is surprise wild card team and they showed mario highlights.

Mailman
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I heard that segment earlier today. I may be wrong, but I thought they were talking about which teams were wild cards to sign Brett Favre.</sacrassam>

gary
07-23-2008, 07:11 PM
You really shouldn't be contacting people your contract says you're not supposed to be calling. And I believe there are standard clauses saying you can't be talking to the coaches of another team and vice versa.

There were already charges of tampering and the NFL might have the right to request Favre's home phone records as well. So even if he had made the calls from his home lines, he still might have been in trouble.They should have said good bye and hanged up on him.

euro-Texan
07-23-2008, 07:12 PM
Your right, I just re-watched it. Well I would be about as excited to have Farve as I would Barry Bonds signing with the astros. It's just not the press we need.

Hardcore Texan
07-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I am so sick of hearing about Farve! So if he does come back and play one more season are we going to have to go through all this crap again. Don't get me wrong, I like Farve and I liked watching him play and know what a legend and legacy he has left......but can we please move forward, but we won't, we will get to hear it 2 years straight I'm sure. :wild:

dalemurphy
07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Did anyone just see that? didn't even pick my head up unl after segment was over. Thankfully the DVR caught it. Eric picked the Texans as is surprise wild card team and they showed mario highlights.

Great example of how moronic ESPN talking heads are. Not only is that pure specualtion, but it's speculations that's not even founded in common sense. Why on earth would the Texans have interest in Favre?

b0ng
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Great example of how moronic ESPN talking heads are. Not only is that pure specualtion, but it's speculations that's not even founded in common sense. Why on earth would the Texans have interest in Favre?

Because it's obvious the Texans have a QB controversy :rolleyes:

J-Russ
07-23-2008, 07:54 PM
wth?

Wasn't the media hugging Schaub's nuts last year when we traded for him? Then weren't they all over(in a good way) Sage after he went 4-1 as starter?

why the heck do they think we need Farve? stupid...

edo783
07-23-2008, 09:10 PM

NSA could help you out with that Gary, buy I doubt they would.

BigWig
07-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Ive heard it several times , on ESPN, on our local sports talk here in the ATX, and I keep scratching my head wondering why they say we are interested.
Maybe for trade bait but thats not our style. I think it will be a cold day in Htown when Favre comes to town.

gary
07-24-2008, 08:13 AM
NSA could help you out with that Gary, buy I doubt they would.It's not like they are going to help.

chicagotexan2
07-24-2008, 08:21 AM

They also had this really stupid piece where Drew Rosehaus role played as Favre's agent and Floyd Reese was the Packers GM and they were "talking" to one another to resolve the issue. It was so freaking stupid I wanted to shove my sons light saber into my ears. Dang, stop tryign to entertain and go back to informing. I really wish I could get the NFL network.

gary
07-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Did Farve even have the Packers phone?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3502994

PapaL
07-24-2008, 09:15 AM
I think Professor Plum did it in the study with the candle stick!

Oh Lord - this is worse than Hoffa.

gary
07-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I think Professor Plum did it in the study with the candle stick!

Oh Lord - this is worse than Hoffa.This just keeps going around and around.

False Start
07-24-2008, 10:13 AM
ESPN ........... what a bunch of weirdos . I rarely ever watch anything NFL related on ESPN, I'll take NFL Network any day of the week .

If Farve ends up anywhere it might be in Tampa Bay .

gary
07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I brought up what gary said to make a point: Why isn't anybody replying to gary and saying "No, you have to name the QB for their to be unity..."?

This is not un-related. It's a way of me showing people that the "Name Your QB And By Golly He's The Anointed One" argument is not a good one.

Am I wrong when I say "If Brett Favre came here, Schaub would be old news and everybody would want Brett to be the starter"? I just gotta' know. Because the argument in the Sage-Schaub thread, in favor of Schaub as starter, is that you gotta' name your QB and let him be the guy. That was probably one of THE biggest pro-Schaub points that was made by multiple people. It's intent is to shut down the whole conversation before it even gets started.

So I just wondered why nobody took the time to reply to what gary said, by in essence saying "Well, just like here in Houston...you gotta' name your starter for the health of the locker room..."

No, if Brett were here tomorrow...there'd be 1,000 posts on the Brett Is A Texan! thread and they'd all be drooling over getting the champ the ball. He carries that sort of weight. Well, what happened to Schaub being named the starter and getting the ball? Schaub be expected to move over.

But neither Schaub, nor Sage, carry that sort of weight. Yet we can't even discuss, on this board, the possibility of there being a QB competition between them. The minute someone mentions it, all hell breaks loose and all those in favor of having a wide-open competition at QB are branded as traitors, dummies, and Schaub haters. The end.

Just wondered why nobody gave the standard pat answer to gary's post.The Bears don't know who their QB will be this season so there you go.

DiehardChris
07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
ESPN ........... what a bunch of weirdos . I rarely ever watch anything NFL related on ESPN, I'll take NFL Network any day of the week .

If Farve ends up anywhere it might be in Tampa Bay .

Whoa - how long have you had that avatar? Best avatar evaaar!!!

False Start
07-24-2008, 10:26 AM

For about a month and a half now . Thanks bro . :cool:

gtexan02
07-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Texans fans complain more about ESPN that any group I've ever known, and yet we all still watch it...

TexanSam
07-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Texans fans complain more about ESPN that any group I've ever known, and yet we all still watch it...

It would be funny if the Texans traded for Favre lol

SheTexan
07-24-2008, 11:24 AM

I totally agree, and have told him so!! I'm trying to figure out how to steal it!! lol LONG LIVE B&B!!!!!!!!

euro-Texan
07-24-2008, 11:43 AM
It would be funny if the Texans traded for Favre lol

I thought we were no longer in the market for all of Sherman's ex-players.....

GP
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
The Bears don't know who their QB will be this season so there you go.

After one year of Schaub getting hurt on multiple occasions and then basically inactive for the rest of the season due to the severity of the injury...I'd say that we're not much better than the Bears' QB situation right now. We're probably a small notch above them, mostly because our two QBs seem to be able to piece together some sort of consistently good performance. You're right, though: Bears QB situation is terrible.

Schaub is one hit away from being back on the bench for an extended amount of time (again) and Sage will come in and, like I said before, this whole conversation and its many many pages of posts will be happening again.

I don't "wish" an injury onto Schaub, nor would I like to see one occur. I just don't think the guy is durable enough for today's NFL. And as big and fast as defenses are getting these days...I don't know who is.

gary
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
After one year of Schaub getting hurt on multiple occasions and then basically inactive for the rest of the season due to the severity of the injury...I'd say that we're not much better than the Bears' QB situation right now. We're probably a small notch above them, mostly because our two QBs seem to be able to piece together some sort of consistently good performance. You're right, though: Bears QB situation is terrible.

Schaub is one hit away from being back on the bench for an extended amount of time (again) and Sage will come in and, like I said before, this whole conversation and its many many pages of posts will be happening again.

I don't "wish" an injury onto Schaub, nor would I like to see one occur. I just don't think the guy is durable enough for today's NFL. And as big and fast as defenses are getting these days...I don't know who is.You said that a team must have their QB before TC.

GP
07-24-2008, 01:07 PM
You said that a team must have their QB before TC.

Huh?

Copy and paste what I had written. I'm online doing a training class, for work, and don't have time to pour over my posts. I don't think that's what I meant.

Mr teX
07-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I don't "wish" an injury onto Schaub, nor would I like to see one occur. I just don't think the guy is durable enough for today's NFL. And as big and fast as defenses are getting these days...I don't know who is.

You find Irony in that this is said in a thread talking about a guy who hasn't missed a start due to injury in 17 years at the helm.

gary
07-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Huh?

Copy and paste what I had written. I'm online doing a training class, for work, and don't have time to pour over my posts. I don't think that's what I meant.When I said to let them battle for the starting job in TC.

GP
07-24-2008, 02:29 PM
You find Irony in that this is said in a thread talking about a guy who hasn't missed a start due to injury in 17 years at the helm.

This is why Favre would be the starter if he came here. There'd be no competition. There'd be no question. Favre, as old as he is, would be jockeyed to the starter role ASAP.

LOL. It's funny that Ted Thompson lists Houston as an acceptable name on the possible trading partners list. That tells me that at least one GM (Thompson of the Packers) thinks we don't have our QB situation figured out yet. But what's funnier than that is this: Kubiak and Smith wouldn't do this at this stage of the year, nor would they EVER do it at all after what all happened to get Schaub here.

The whole idea of Houston being a candidate is pretty laughable.

GP
07-24-2008, 03:03 PM
When I said to let them battle for the starting job in TC.

I was using what you said in order to say this, mostly as a jab at the "I Love Matt Schaub" crowd (boy, that'll get me flamed...again):

"Why would Favre have to battle it out with Rodgers when Schaub doesn't even have to battle it out with Sage in Houston?"

I would think this sort of arrangement is reserved only for teams such as Indy, Pats, Cowboys, Steelers, etc.: Teams where you KNOW that the QB is the man. We're so starved for a winning tradition, wouldn't it just be more logical to toss the starting job out to whichever QB is winning the battle more?

And I'm not being a jerk when I say this: For what it took to get Schaub here, and because he got hurt and was out of so much action last year, there's no real way that Kubiak and Smith could retain the team's belief that they have integrity and character by chasing after Favre. It would make everyone feel like they were always on the chopping block.

Now if Schaub had never been here, and we went with Sage as starter last year...I think Kubiak and Smith would have brought Favre in here like the Astros had brought in Clemens. It would have been perfect timing if it had happened THAT way. But, if a frog had wings, he ________ (you know the rest).

PHAROAH
07-24-2008, 05:05 PM
We will make the playoffs without Farve.

brakos82
07-24-2008, 05:13 PM
We will make the playoffs without Farve.

Eeeee-xactly... :smiliedance:

Brando
07-24-2008, 05:42 PM

I totally agree, and have told him so!! I'm trying to figure out how to steal it!! lol LONG LIVE B&B!!!!!!!!

I think Vinny should put it in the avatar bin. ;)

Corrosion
07-24-2008, 05:49 PM
You know what that S in eSpn stands for dont ya ...... STUPID

threetoedpete
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM
NFW

drewmar74
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Just in case anyone cares....

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre plans to show up for training camp. In order to do so, he’ll first have to apply for reinstatement, via a letter that could be sent to Commissioner Roger Goodell as soon as Friday.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported earlier in the week that Goodell has advised the Packers that he will reinstate Favre upon request.

Schefter says that all indications are that Favre is returning with the intention of spending the season with the Packers.

But this could be a Jason Taylor-style attempt by the Packers and Favre to facilitate a trade by creating the impression that, if a suitable trade can’t be worked out, the Packers will keep him.

So our guess is that Favre and the team will do what they can to create the appearance that fences have mended, in the hopes that someone will offer up a package that the Packers deems to be suitable.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

For what it is worth, I'd sit on the bench and hold a clipboard for $12M per year. NOOOOOO problem!

Mr teX
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Just in case anyone cares....

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that Packers quarterback Brett Favre plans to show up for training camp. In order to do so, he’ll first have to apply for reinstatement, via a letter that could be sent to Commissioner Roger Goodell as soon as Friday.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN reported earlier in the week that Goodell has advised the Packers that he will reinstate Favre upon request.

Schefter says that all indications are that Favre is returning with the intention of spending the season with the Packers.

But this could be a Jason Taylor-style attempt by the Packers and Favre to facilitate a trade by creating the impression that, if a suitable trade can’t be worked out, the Packers will keep him.

So our guess is that Favre and the team will do what they can to create the appearance that fences have mended, in the hopes that someone will offer up a package that the Packers deems to be suitable.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

For what it is worth, I'd sit on the bench and hold a clipboard for $12M per year. NOOOOOO problem!

too much ego involved by between thw 2 parties for that to happen.....

Chance_C
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM

I agree, and I'm not even a B&B fan.

Second Honeymoon
07-25-2008, 02:35 PM
too much ego involved by between thw 2 parties for that to happen.....

i see where you are coming from Mr.Tex but we are talking about $12 million dollars. Favre is going to call his bluff Mississippi riverboat gambler style....and he will end up with Tampa for a 7th or maybe even just some 2nd string depth just to keep him away from the Vikes. If he is released it will be into the season thus taking him off many teams (vikes and bears) radar.

and yes a Tampa Bay 'trade' (more like a dump).....that would set up Favre v. Rodgers this season..i believe Week 5

high drama and Goodell has already told GB that Favre WILL be accomodated an opportunity not just to hold a clipboard but start. Goodell is on Favre's side on this issue. Favre is good for the league and all this BS and mudslinging isnt good for the team, the players (rodgers included), and especially the league...

False Start
07-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree, and I'm not even a B&B fan.

Thanks everyone . Its definitely made its way around the internet since I made it . Ive seen it used, and even people taking credit for making it on a few websites . :user:

Anyways, they said that Favre is going to report to Packers camp . There still may be a possibility for a trade. This situation is starting to get the TMZ feel to it . :deadhorse

Lucky
07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Merged another Favre thread from Texans forum. This is where all things Favre go to die.

PapaL
07-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Merged another Favre thread from Texans forum. This is where all things Favre go to die.

Can we just lock them all and ban the following words: Brett, Bret, Favre and Farve?

TexanSam
07-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Can we just lock them all and ban the following words: Brett, Bret, Favre and Farve?

lol

I'd rather comment on the David Carr thread that the Brett Favre one...I think

PapaL
07-25-2008, 07:08 PM
lol

I'd rather comment on the David Carr thread that the Brett Favre one...I think

Live tonight on Celebertiy Death Match; David Carr thread vs Brett Favre thread! Tune in tonight to see White Glove vs White Beard.

*Only on ESPN 8 "The Ocho"

GP
07-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Big Baby Brett is inching closer to getting his way.

Link: Favre Graciously Spares Packers A Visit To Camp (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3506282)

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre have reached a compromise.

The Packers confirmed to ESPN that he won't show up for camp Sunday. Packers' management will now try and reach some sort of resolution to the on-going un-retirement saga, SI.com reports.

"I had planned on reporting for the start of Packers training camp Sunday, but [general manager] Ted Thompson asked if I would give him a couple of days to try to get the situation resolved," Favre told SI.com Saturday night from his home west of Hattiesburg, Miss. "I agreed to do that. I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers, and I hope in the next few days we can come to an agreement that would allow me to continue playing football.''

LOL. "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers..."

PapaL
07-27-2008, 10:11 AM
This reminds me of the old Jerry Springer Show - Am I your QB?

They could out Ted Thompson, the HC and Aaron Rodgers; all of which would start fighting Brett,

IlliniJen
07-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Big Baby Brett is inching closer to getting his way.

Link: Favre Graciously Spares Packers A Visit To Camp (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3506282)

LOL. "I don't want to be a distraction to the Packers..."

I don't even think Favre has filed his reinstatement papers with the league yet. How can he report to any camp without officially following through with his desire to play again? Redunkulous.

HJam72
07-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Well, as long as he's not a distraction for the packers, cuz he sure is one for every message board in the league.

GP
07-27-2008, 02:30 PM
This reminds me of the old Jerry Springer Show - Am I your QB?

They could out Ted Thompson, the HC and Aaron Rodgers; all of which would start fighting Brett,

You almost got it right.

DAVID CARR comes swaggering out, from stage left, and promptly slaps Brett Favre...and then the cat fight is on!

TexanAddict
07-29-2008, 04:10 PM
I don't even think Favre has filed his reinstatement papers with the league yet. How can he report to any camp without officially following through with his desire to play again? Redunkulous.

Brett Favre's reinstatement letter to Roger Goodell:

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0728/pg2_favre_letter1.gif

Page 2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080728)

PapaL
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
With that last post - this thread and saga are over.

Double Barrel
07-29-2008, 05:16 PM
With that last post - this thread and saga are over.

I second that motion. I am so tired of the constant Brett Favre update every time I try to get any NFL news.

Kaiser Toro
07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
I just saw Favre in a Wrangler's commercial. He looked like he could still zing it and appeared very confident.

Wolf
07-29-2008, 09:51 PM
I just saw Favre in a Wrangler's commercial. He looked like he could still zing it and appeared very confident.

but can he do a roundhouse in his wranglers(and boots and not lose his cowboy hat) like chucky could?

that is the question

or is it can chuck norris zing it with wranglers on ?:thinking:

PapaL
07-30-2008, 05:56 AM
but can he do a roundhouse in his wranglers(and boots and not lose his cowboy hat) like chucky could?

that is the question

or is it can chuck norris zing it with wranglers on ?:thinking:

Chuck Norris can zing Brett and a football with Wranglers on WHILE doing a roundhouse.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 10:34 AM
I second that motion. I am so tired of the constant Brett Favre update every time I try to get any NFL news.

Agreed! I actually switch channels from NFLTA due to the BS and I never miss Total Access either. It's been very disappointing to say the least. :gun:

Texan_Bill
07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Agreed! I actually switch channels from NFLTA due to the BS and I never miss Total Access either. It's been very disappointing to say the least. :gun:

This just in.......

Brett Favre wipes his a$$ with Ultra Charmin.... :gun:

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 10:50 AM
This just in.......

Brett Favre wipes his a$$ with Ultra Charmin.... :gun:

Sadly, it's getting to that point. Seeing the footage of him at a High School field throwing the ball around is getting as bad as the stupid VY rose bush tattoo commercial (ok, maybe not that bad but..)

:gun: :gun:

Vinny
07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
amazing some dude from Mississippi who plays in Wisconson gets this much attention. He's just another aging star who may move to another team like Joe Namith, OJ, Montana did.

Texan_Bill
07-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Sadly, it's getting to that point. Seeing the footage of him at a High School field throwing the ball around is getting as bad as the stupid VY rose bush tattoo commercial (ok, maybe not that bad but..)

:gun: :gun:

:thinking: Why don't they show any shots of him standing around in Atlanta, partying too much and playing too much golf??

Oh... and I love this:

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/madden09.jpg

Double Barrel
07-30-2008, 11:30 AM

I swear Adam Shefter wants to have Favre's lovechild.

Why can't T.O. fart or something to take some media attention away from this debacle in Green Bay.

HOU-TEX
07-30-2008, 11:39 AM

Why can't T.O. fart or something to take some media attention away from this debacle in Green Bay.

LMAO! I guess you heard when Shefter had a little tizzy when talking to Eison over the phone? I like Shefter and his inside scoop of the NFL, but he's definitely tucked up in the pouch of Favre's athletic supporter on this one.

I'm sure we're going to get our share of T.O. when Hard Knocks fires up.

It'd be nice to get more footage of camps around the league rather than the Favre saga.

:texflag:

Brando
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
I hope this Favre thing is cleared up by time the respective networks do a training camp special on the Texans.

Favre this, Favre that, Texans Madden loves Favre,Schefter loves Favre, Peter king loves Favre,Texans

I can see it already.

Double Barrel
07-30-2008, 12:54 PM
LMAO! I guess you heard when Shefter had a little tizzy when talking to Eison over the phone? I like Shefter and his inside scoop of the NFL, but he's definitely tucked up in the pouch of Favre's athletic supporter on this one.

It'd be nice to get more footage of camps around the league rather than the Favre saga.

yeah, that little display by Shefter on yesterday's "All Access" was classic man-crush. I agree about his knowledge of NFL front offices is something to appreciate, but man, I'm just tired of the lead story in every freakin' show being about the Favre/Packers circus.

And you're last point is what I'm talking about. I tune in to watch NFL news, see various aspects of the game and training camp, and glean some knowledge about the upcoming season. Instead, it's all this crap, pure speculation, and opinions about Favre and GB. It is utterly ridiculous.

Cjeremy635
07-30-2008, 01:00 PM

I saw that yesterday when it came on. I was like, "what the hell is he getting so upset over?" My wife was even in shock by the way he was reacting. Poor Rich couldn't even get a word in edge wise. I couldn't help but laugh though. Shefter takes his gig way too seriously.

Texan_Bill
07-31-2008, 08:09 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tools/med/2008/07/ipt/1217477867.jpg

Man-Ram has a solution.

GP
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM

LOL!!!!!!

GRRRRRREEAAT post. Simply hilarious.

Thank you for making me laugh out loud.

Brando
07-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jeff Garcia was injured Thursday during a non-contact passing drill, the St. Petersburg Times reports. The extent of the injury isn't clear.

The newspaper says Garcia seemed to be in pain after rolling out and throwing a pass. He reportedly was carted off the practice field in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. and limped to the locker room, where he received treatment from Buccaneers trainer Todd Toriscelli.

The Buccaneers have been mentioned as a possible trade partner with the Green Bay Packers if Brett Favre returns from retirement. If Garcia's injury turns out to be serious, that could give Tampa Bay more incentive to acquire Favre.

LINK (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=440468)

If it's serious..the odds af Favre going to Tampa Bay just increased.

GP
08-01-2008, 08:20 AM
LINK (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=440468)

If it's serious..the odds af Favre going to Tampa Bay just increased.

ESPN reports Favre is considering an offer from Packers that will pay him $20 million to stay retired, yet remain with the team in other capacities.

I guess they need a $20 million lawn guy. It'll allow him to putter around on his mower and talk to the guys, stay close to the action.

Brando
08-01-2008, 09:07 AM
ESPN reports Favre is considering an offer from Packers that will pay him $20 million to stay retired, yet remain with the team in other capacities.

I guess they need a $20 million lawn guy. It'll allow him to putter around on his mower and talk to the guys, stay close to the action.

I find it funny that they offer him 10 years for 20 mill when he can play this year alone for 12 million. I don't think it's about the money for Favre but I guess we will see what unfolds in As the Favre Turns.

Hervoyel
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM

If the man made this much stink about playing again and then turns around and takes $20 million dollars to sit back down then the only word I'll ever use to describe Favre again is "Whore".

Goldensilence
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=440920

More on the 20 Million dollar deal.

Hardcore Texan
08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
If the man made this much stink about playing again and then turns around and takes $20 million dollars to sit back down then the only word I'll ever use to describe Favre again is "Whore".

True. Or he gets traded for a high pick somewhere he doesn't want to go and goes "eh, I don't like that team, I think I will retire for real now" and hoses the team that traded for him.

WWJD
08-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow that deal doesn't even sound like something the league would allow. They'd be opening a huge can of worms with that one....

I've been on Brett's side and will stay that way. I think he wants to play. And I think he will.

Second Honeymoon
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Favre needs to talk to Goodell and get a deal done. Favre deserves to make the call on his future if he isn't starting for Green Bay. They owe it to him and Goodell has pretty much let the Packers know that he feels that way too.

Nothing would make Goodell happier than seeing Favre in a Vikings or Bears uniform. The drama and the huge stakes would pretty much be the story of the century much less just 2008.

My personal opinion is that if the Packers don't think Favre is worth installing as their starter then they should let him find an opportunity elsewhere. This isn't indentured servitude after all. Vikes or Bears give Packers a 3rd Rounder with a conditional 1st Rounder if Favre leads either team to the Super Bowl. It's that easy. Get it done. The 49ers sure as hell didn't screw over Montana like the Packers are doing Favre. yeah, Favre made mistakes but they probably rushed his decision and Thompson wanted to move on anyway and install his draftee Rodgers as the starting QB....Shame on them. They have been to the playoffs like 13 of 16 years under Favre and only went to playoffs 1 time the previous 16 years pre-Favre. Some fans seems to miss this fact. Go ask Dolphin fan how life post-Marino has been? 49ers post-Young? Bills post-Kelly? Cowboys post-Aikman...although they do have Romo but he is a choker so nothing is gonna change in Dallas either re:playoff success (yes, i am a closet cowboys fan...state of texas is my allegiance)

My point is that sometimes teams are too eager to move on and realize that you need to get while the getting is good and not pin your hopes on some injury-prone guy with like 2 starts under his belt...especially when you have a bonafide Hall Of Famer still wanting to play for your team....under any circumstances, you take him back if its pre-Training Camp.

What if Favre had retired due to an injury but the injury miraculously recovered and he was ready but the team had already invested some time in Rodgers? Would they take him back then? How could they not. Well, its not that different to be honest. He has said it himself that he was in pain when he was throwing the football last year and that pain has gone away during this offseason. That all happened and he discovered this when he was throwing the football to the high school kids in Mississippi. He was throwing without pain and he started getting that itch. That made returning more appealing and promising. Just bring the guy back.

For God's sake, let the boy be your QB.

http://img.adamsandler.jt.org/tv/saturday_night/pictures/herlihyboywchris.jpg

FREE BRETT FAVRE

nunusguy
08-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk chuckled at the thought of being paid $20 million not to play.
"You could hand me a billion dollars, and I'm still going to be on the field," Hawk said. "It doesn't matter to me. But everyone has different situations, has different views on money. Money is not more important than football to me right now."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3515165
AJ just called big-mouth Farves bluff, so lets see if Farve is really, really serious about playing or takes the money and runs ?

WWJD
08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk chuckled at the thought of being paid $20 million not to play.
"You could hand me a billion dollars, and I'm still going to be on the field," Hawk said. "It doesn't matter to me. But everyone has different situations, has different views on money. Money is not more important than football to me right now."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3515165
AJ just called big-mouth Farves bluff, so lets see if Farve is really, really serious about playing or takes the money and runs ?

So much of all this is supposition...I don't believe Brett has given any interview about being offered the money. When he did the FOX interview so much of what he said was the exact OPPOSITE of what the press had reported and people had taken as the truth.

The interview came before the cellphone incident but that was reported as absolute fact...Brett used a Packer cellphone. Truth was he did not.

I hope he goes where he wants to go.

Koolaid Time
08-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, "He's Back"... Time to send in the clowns, because Packers Training Camp will be a circus.

Favre to be reinstated, report to Packers Monday

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre will be reinstated and added to the Green Bay Packers’ active roster Monday.

The NFL announced the move Sunday after commissioner Roger Goodell had held off on granting Favre’s request for reinstatement for nearly a week, hoping Favre and the team could resolve their standoff. By reinstating Favre, Goodell is following through on a recent promise to force action.

The reinstatement will become effective at 1 p.m. EDT on Monday.

Favre’s agent, James “Bus” Cook, confirmed that Favre plans to fly to Green Bay on Sunday and report to the Packers on Monday.

“That’s the plan,” Cook said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Sunday.

Favre could be on the field as early as Tuesday.

Favre retired in March but has been having second thoughts. Team officials have insisted they are moving on with Aaron Rodgers, though, causing tensions to rise between Favre and the team.

It is not clear whether Favre’s reinstatement indicates that he has rejected a long-term, multimillion-dollar marketing agreement offered by the team. Reinstatement could force the Packers to increase their offer to Favre in hopes that he remains retired and avoids turning their training camp into a media circus this week.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Second Honeymoon
08-03-2008, 08:34 PM
The Packers look to have capitulated to the Favre camp. Favre is being told there will be an open competition for the job between him and Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is totally hating it right about now. As if you can even compare Rodgers to Favre, in a competition, Favre is the obvious winner. For them to even broach the subject shows they have indeed capitulated. Advantage Favre.

I do feel bad for Rodgers though because he has been pretty classy amidst this whole firestorm. We will see if that keeps up in the coming days...on....As The Favre Turns.

The Pencil Neck
08-03-2008, 08:43 PM
The Packers look to have capitulated to the Favre camp. Favre is being told there will be an open competition for the job between him and Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is totally hating it right about now. As if you can even compare Rodgers to Favre, in a competition, Favre is the obvious winner. For them to even broach the subject shows they have indeed capitulated. Advantage Favre.

The thing is that they've changed their offense to one that supposedly suits Rodgers. I'm betting that they're just going to say that Favre couldn't beat Rodgers out of the job because he couldn't pick up on the offense. And then they're going to make him sit on the bench.

GP
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Total crap.

What good is a retirement filing? I sense this will make owners develop a league rule that says once you file retirement papers...you're unable to compete until serving a one-year absence. It'll be known as "The Brett Favre" rule. Heck, I'd go a step further and say that the player then reverts to a one-year league minimum contract when he's able to play again. That'd make players think twice about pulling this sort of stunt: You're gone for a year, AND you're now working for the league minimum because you can't make a commitment you can keep.

Green Bay should have been able to move on, and yet the commissioner is the one who is forcing the hand--Without the commissioner's pressure, this would have been a dead issue. What a load of political bullcrap.

I hope they trade him to Tampa Bay on the very moment he enters the training facility: "Hi Brett, Bye Brett. Here's a ticket to Quarterbackville." GB shouldn't keep him, shouldn't cut him, but they SHOULD get something for him to at least get something out of this stupid situation.

Guess this goes to show that NFL teams are at the mercy of a dictator named Roger.

Load of crap.

Men back in Lombardi's day would not have acted like Brett Favre. Someone tell me otherwise. Cause you know they wouldn't pull this sort of stunt on the team. Not like this.

TexanSam
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
So I heard on the radio and TV that Favre rejected trades to both the NY Jets and Tampa Bay. If I'm not mistaken, his contract doesn't have a no trade clause in it.

GP
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
So I heard on the radio and TV that Favre rejected trades to both the NY Jets and Tampa Bay. If I'm not mistaken, his contract doesn't have a no trade clause in it.

Yeah, he won't get traded.

Aaron Rodgers needs to see the writing on the wall and just ask to be traded himself.

"Although we built this year around the assumption that Brett meant what he said about retiring, Brett is coming back," Murphy said in the statement. "We will welcome him back and turn this situation to our advantage.

Translation: We got screwed because Brett decided he didn't want to keep his word like a man.

GP
08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Proof that people live in the past and don't know how to move forward. This is worse than heroin:

http://www.foxnews.com/images/root_images/080308_greenbay.jpg

Barack Obama should ask Brett Favre to be his V.P. candidate. They could cure cancer together.

ChampionTexan
08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Total crap.

What good is a retirement filing? I sense this will make owners develop a league rule that says once you file retirement papers...you're unable to compete until serving a one-year absence. It'll be known as "The Brett Favre" rule. Heck, I'd go a step further and say that the player then reverts to a one-year league minimum contract when he's able to play again. That'd make players think twice about pulling this sort of stunt: You're gone for a year, AND you're now working for the league minimum because you can't make a commitment you can keep.

Green Bay should have been able to move on, and yet the commissioner is the one who is forcing the hand--Without the commissioner's pressure, this would have been a dead issue. What a load of political bullcrap.

I hope they trade him to Tampa Bay on the very moment he enters the training facility: "Hi Brett, Bye Brett. Here's a ticket to Quarterbackville." GB shouldn't keep him, shouldn't cut him, but they SHOULD get something for him to at least get something out of this stupid situation.

Guess this goes to show that NFL teams are at the mercy of a dictator named Roger.

Load of crap.

Men back in Lombardi's day would not have acted like Brett Favre. Someone tell me otherwise. Cause you know they wouldn't pull this sort of stunt on the team. Not like this.

Doesn't matter. According to Favre (and everything else that exists on the subject), Favre never filed the "Retirement Papers" anyway. The filing you might be thinking of (and the only one required on the players part) is really related to his pension. That's it, there are no other papers. The only thing Favre did was announce his retirement. The Packers then placed him on the reserve/retired list so his salary wouldn't count against the cap.

If you're talking about the announcement, and holding that binding, forget about the owners ever even wanting to do anything about that. The Chiefs would have killed a couple of year ago to get Willie Roaf to change his mind. I think that New England was okay with the idea that Junior Seau announced his retirement, and then turned around relatively quickly and signed on with the Pats.

Something tells me because there's one situation you're offended by, the NFL owners aren't going to rush out and implement a rule where one doesn't need to exist (and just going off the top of my head, would never come close to complying with the CBA).

GP
08-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Doesn't matter. According to Favre (and everything else that exists on the subject), Favre never filed the "Retirement Papers" anyway. The filing you might be thinking of (and the only one required on the players part) is really related to his pension. That's it, there are no other papers. The only thing Favre did was announce his retirement. The Packers then placed him on the reserve/retired list so his salary wouldn't count against the cap.

If you're talking about the announcement, and holding that binding, forget about the owners ever even wanting to do anything about that. The Chiefs would have killed a couple of year ago to get Willie Roaf to change his mind. I think that New England was okay with the idea that Junior Seau announced his retirement, and then turned around relatively quickly and signed on with the Pats.

Something tells me because there's one situation you're offended by, the NFL owners aren't going to rush out and implement a rule where one doesn't need to exist (and just going off the top of my head, would never come close to complying with the CBA).

Really? You don't think owners see this and aren't thinking to themselves "Gee, the commissioner just forced a team to do something it didn't want to do...hmmmm.."

Owners don't like to be pushed around, which is the CBA got ripped up. When owners see something they don't like, they generally bring it up in the next owner's meeting(s) during the next offseason.

I'm at least wishing that it'll happen.

Everybody creaming themselves over Favre is enough to last a lifetime for me. I hope something gets worked out to quit this nonsense. A team drafted with the idea that Favre was done. They wanted to reward Rodgers for being a team player during the last few seasons of the Favre era, but NOPE! can't do that. And all the while, it's the caretaker of the NFL itself who muscled this through.

Yeah, I don't see why the owners would want to stipulate some conditions upon a player who says he's not coming back. You're right. :shades:

Showtime100
08-04-2008, 12:49 AM
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we wanted to retire, we wanted to play, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

Favre can be a real Dickens when he can't make his mind up.

2BCF
08-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Not sure what all the hostility is about.

The man asked to be released, GB should have granted it.
If not, then you play your best QB... that would be Favre.

Showtime100
08-04-2008, 01:20 AM

If that is where you picked up on the story you have a point, but the story began with "I don't have the desire to play football anymore, I'm retiring. :crying: :crying:"

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM

Over the past several years, Favre has waited until the last moment to make up his mind on whether to retire or not. That makes it very hard for his team to plan.

Now, it's kinda turned out that the reason that Brett was doing this in previous years may be because he wanted the Green Bay FO and Coaches to beg him to stay as an ego stroke and because he didn't get along with them.

This year, he actually told them he was retiring. They changed the offense to suit Aaron Rodgers and they made moves to bring in more young QB's. And then he comes back with his feelings hurt because they didn't try harder to talk him out of retiring. He asks to be traded or released even though he's retired. He waits and waits to send in his request for re-instatement even though he's airing all of this to the media.

Personally, I think this all boils down to the fact that Brett doesn't like the new Front Office and the Front Office doesn't like Brett. He's trying to make them look bad and trying to force their hands. And their trying to get him to go away. To me, Brett is coming across as a very insecure prima donna. All of those cliches about the pampered veteran QB who holds himself above the team... that seems like what Brett has turned into. But on the other hand, the Packer's FO is coming across as having a lack of respect for their history and I'm pretty certain that they have a lack of respect for Brett.

Texan_Bill
08-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Brett Favre / GB Packershttp://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/734_enraged.gif

WWJD
08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Brett said in his Fox interview that he was burned out when he retired in March...he had been getting weekly phone calls from their coach since the season ended about what he wanted to do...he told the coach that he wanted to wait a bit longer but the coach told him no we need a decision by draft and free agency; that they were moving in a different direction.

He said he was told that playing in GB was not an option but was also told by the FO that they couldn't envision him playing anywhere else. So he had that March press conference.

He said he talked to the coach in June and told the coach he was thinking about coming back....and he told the coach he wanted to play for the Pack but was told they had moved on.

Brett felt that he needed until training camp to make up his mind completely about his decision.

He said he knew he would have second thoughts because he didn't want to make up his mind in March. He said he is guilty of retiring early but felt he had to make up his mind based on what he was told by the coach and in March he was not 100% committed to playing. He needed that extra few months to make up his mind.

This could have all been avoided if they had allowed him more time to think about it...what harm would it have done to allow him those extra months?

I don't feel like Brett has done anything wrong. He is guilty of changing his mind but they KNEW he might do just that. And that's just being human.

They should have said hey Brett take all the time you need...we have Aaron here that can step in if you do retire but take all the time you need.

That's all they had to do.

eriadoc
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Brett said in his Fox interview that he was burned out when he retired in March...he had been getting weekly phone calls from their coach since the season ended about what he wanted to do...he told the coach that he wanted to wait a bit longer but the coach told him no we need a decision by draft and free agency; that they were moving in a different direction.

He said he was told that playing in GB was not an option but was also told by the FO that they couldn't envision him playing anywhere else. So he had that March press conference.

He said he talked to the coach in June and told the coach he was thinking about coming back....and he told the coach he wanted to play for the Pack but was told they had moved on.

Brett felt that he needed until training camp to make up his mind completely about his decision.

He said he knew he would have second thoughts because he didn't want to make up his mind in March. He said he is guilty of retiring early but felt he had to make up his mind based on what he was told by the coach and in March he was not 100% committed to playing. He needed that extra few months to make up his mind.

This could have all been avoided if they had allowed him more time to think about it...what harm would it have done to allow him those extra months?

I don't feel like Brett has done anything wrong. He is guilty of changing his mind but they KNEW he might do just that. And that's just being human.

They should have said hey Brett take all the time you need...we have Aaron here that can step in if you do retire but take all the time you need.

That's all they had to do.

All they had to do was delay organizational planning? As much as Favre and his nut-huggers would hate to recognize it, the GB Packers are bigger than Favre, and they have a responsibility to the organization, to the NFL, and to their fans to go forward with a cohesive plan. Asking a grown man to make a decision a full three months after the season ended is not unreasonable.

If I were Rodgers, I think I'd demand a trade. He's never going to get a real shot there. When he finally does take over, he will have wasted some of the prime years of his career sitting on the bench, and then he'll be unappreciated anyway as the guy who succeeded Favre. It's a no-win, so he may as well demand a trade.

WWJD
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Like I said the Packers could have handled this VERY easily AND moved on..Brett or no Brett.

They could have just told him hey take your time. We've got Aaron here and if you retire we'll go with him; we have faith in him, blah, blah.

They could have done that.

Brett could have been given the additional months he said he needed (and he told them he needed to make a decision) and the Packers would have been fine either way. They get Brett back or they go with Aaron. What's hard to figure out about that. It doesn't make them look bad in any way; they show some deserved respect to their ace QB and everybody moves on.

That's all Brett said he needed. Call me whatever you want but I don't see how any of this made the Packers any less of a team or damaged them in any way.

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Like I said the Packers could have handled this VERY easily AND moved on..Brett or no Brett.

They could have just told him hey take your time. We've got Aaron here and if you retire we'll go with him; we have faith in him, blah, blah.

They could have done that.

Brett could have been given the additional months he said he needed (and he told them he needed to make a decision) and the Packers would have been fine either way. They get Brett back or they go with Aaron. What's hard to figure out about that. It doesn't make them look bad in any way; they show some deserved respect to their ace QB and everybody moves on.

That's all Brett said he needed. Call me whatever you want but I don't see how any of this made the Packers any less of a team or damaged them in any way.

Take a look at their actions after Brett retired. Specifically, look at their drafting strategy. They took Brohm in the second. This gives them a very good safety net for the future if Aaron Rodgers isn't the guy and they also drafted Matt Flynn.

Obviously, the idea is to go with 2 QB's on the main roster and then Flynn on the PS.

If Brett's coming back, they don't do that. They probably make another selection other than Brohm in the 2nd round. Now they're going to be forced to carry 3 QB's on the main roster (they can't stick Brohm on the PS, he won't clear waivers) which takes away a roster spot somewhere else.

I'm not sure exactly what this move means for the cap but they're going to have a lot less money to work with to bring in free agents if they have injuries or if they identify a need at one position or another. If they cut him or trade him, then he's STILL counting against their cap and they're basically paying him to play for another team.

Another point is that when the coaching staff put their offense together, they put it together with the idea that it should be to Rodger's strengths not Brett's. Now, if they go to Brett being the QB, they may have to throw out some portions of the playbook and bring back other portions that they had thrown away with the move to Rodgers. That means having a lot more work for everyone involved that they wouldn't have to go through if Brett had told them up front. The whole offense has learned the Rodger's playbook and now they're going to have to learn and practice for the Brett one. The coaching staff may just decide that Brett has to play with Aaron's playbook.

Also, him coming to camp this late is going to put everyone back. He's going to be out of shape and he's not going to be up to speed.

Saying that Brett is going to walk in and be better than Aaron and that he gives them the best chance to win is not necessarily true. He's already set them back.

GP
08-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Take a look at their actions after Brett retired. Specifically, look at their drafting strategy. They took Brohm in the second. This gives them a very good safety net for the future if Aaron Rodgers isn't the guy and they also drafted Matt Flynn.

Obviously, the idea is to go with 2 QB's on the main roster and then Flynn on the PS.

If Brett's coming back, they don't do that. They probably make another selection other than Brohm in the 2nd round. Now they're going to be forced to carry 3 QB's on the main roster (they can't stick Brohm on the PS, he won't clear waivers) which takes away a roster spot somewhere else.

I'm not sure exactly what this move means for the cap but they're going to have a lot less money to work with to bring in free agents if they have injuries or if they identify a need at one position or another. If they cut him or trade him, then he's STILL counting against their cap and they're basically paying him to play for another team.

Another point is that when the coaching staff put their offense together, they put it together with the idea that it should be to Rodger's strengths not Brett's. Now, if they go to Brett being the QB, they may have to throw out some portions of the playbook and bring back other portions that they had thrown away with the move to Rodgers. That means having a lot more work for everyone involved that they wouldn't have to go through if Brett had told them up front. The whole offense has learned the Rodger's playbook and now they're going to have to learn and practice for the Brett one. The coaching staff may just decide that Brett has to play with Aaron's playbook.

Also, him coming to camp this late is going to put everyone back. He's going to be out of shape and he's not going to be up to speed.

Saying that Brett is going to walk in and be better than Aaron and that he gives them the best chance to win is not necessarily true. He's already set them back.

100% agree. Rep your way.

eriadoc
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM

Good points all around. Something one of the radio guys was saying (pretty sure it was Lance Z., but I could be wrong) was that after Brett's terrible year a a couple years ago, the Packers changed some things around in the offensive GP to keep the INT-throwing Brett down, similar to what Kubiak did for Plummer in Arizona. The host then said that the old Brett re-surfaced int he playoffs, which was why they lost. I don't know how much of that I agree with, but if it's true that they modified the GP for Brett, then that's just more evidence that the organization has to plan differently now.

Second Honeymoon
08-04-2008, 05:29 PM
The thing is that they've changed their offense to one that supposedly suits Rodgers. I'm betting that they're just going to say that Favre couldn't beat Rodgers out of the job because he couldn't pick up on the offense. And then they're going to make him sit on the bench.

goodell is not going to be down with that and neither is Favre. if they pull a stunt like that Goodell will shred that contract to bits and he will be a Viking before you could say NFC North.

face it, Favre is going to be the QB and Rodgers needs to deal with it just like he has his whole career. If he doesnt like it, he can feel free to demand a trade just like Favre will if he isn't the starter.

And what is this talk about the Packers building an offense around Rodger's strengths? What are his strengths? His ability to get injured and hold a clipboard? I respect the way Rodgers has carried himself but if its a choice between Favre or Rodgers, is there even a debate? If they were so damn high on Rodgers why did they spend a 2nd Rounder on Brohm? That smells like a Casserley move when he drafted Ragone....simply stupid move even without Brett in picture.

As for Goodell, I applaud him sticking up for the player in this situation. It's obvious that Favre wants to play and it isn't a money grab or he would have taken the poorly-schemed payoff errrrrr marketing deal. The bottom line is if the Packers didn't want him as their starter he deserved the chance to go elsewhere irregardless of division rival or not. Favre has done more for the league than just about any current player in the league and he has done more for that franchise in Green Bay than ANYONE ever has. Ted Thompson was a jerk about everything and he seemed more concerned with punishing Favre for being forced into a decision than he ever was about winning football games and putting the best product on the field. If they would have just welcomed him back when Favre got the itch, this story would be gone and they would be in better position and could have gotten something for Rodgers if Rodgers got uber-pissed and demanded trade. Now Rodgers may demand trade and they wont get squat for him because its so late in the offseason.

Thompson is a jerk and thought he was bigger than Favre. Wrong, buddy. You are just another guy, Ted.. Favre is Favre.

RIP Ted Thompson's career

WWJD
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
:goodpost: goodell is not going to be down with that and neither is Favre. if they pull a stunt like that Goodell will shred that contract to bits and he will be a Viking before you could say NFC North.

face it, Favre is going to be the QB and Rodgers needs to deal with it just like he has his whole career. If he doesnt like it, he can feel free to demand a trade just like Favre will if he isn't the starter.

And what is this talk about the Packers building an offense around Rodger's strengths? What are his strengths? His ability to get injured and hold a clipboard? I respect the way Rodgers has carried himself but if its a choice between Favre or Rodgers, is there even a debate? If they were so damn high on Rodgers why did they spend a 2nd Rounder on Brohm? That smells like a Casserley move when he drafted Ragone....simply stupid move even without Brett in picture.

As for Goodell, I applaud him sticking up for the player in this situation. It's obvious that Favre wants to play and it isn't a money grab or he would have taken the poorly-schemed payoff errrrrr marketing deal. The bottom line is if the Packers didn't want him as their starter he deserved the chance to go elsewhere irregardless of division rival or not. Favre has done more for the league than just about any current player in the league and he has done more for that franchise in Green Bay than ANYONE ever has. Ted Thompson was a jerk about everything and he seemed more concerned with punishing Favre for being forced into a decision than he ever was about winning football games and putting the best product on the field. If they would have just welcomed him back when Favre got the itch, this story would be gone and they would be in better position and could have gotten something for Rodgers if Rodgers got uber-pissed and demanded trade. Now Rodgers may demand trade and they wont get squat for him because its so late in the offseason.

Thompson is a jerk and thought he was bigger than Favre. Wrong, buddy. You are just another guy, Ted.. Favre is Favre.

:goodpost: You nailed it.

Koolaid Time
08-04-2008, 08:15 PM
Over the past several years, Favre has waited until the last moment to make up his mind on whether to retire or not. That makes it very hard for his team to plan.

Except for the steroids angle, does this make Favre the "Roger Clemens" of the NFL??

The Pencil Neck
08-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Except for the steroids angle, does this make Favre the "Roger Clemens" of the NFL??

Clemens has the steroid controversy and Brett has the addiction to painkiller controversy.

I think with the NFL, the restrictions on the roster and the necessity to plan for the future is much more intense; you can always send a player down to the minors in MLB but in the NFL, you cut them and if they're good, they're gone. Who you draft is much more important than in MLB. There's no cap issue with MLB. You rely on your QB to play every game and you don't for a pitcher unless he's a reliever.

Favre is the Roger Clemens of the NFL but he has a bigger impact on his team than Clemens ever did.

Wolf
08-05-2008, 05:37 PM
this is where the internet is bad...I need a filter for Favre

(as I spread the gossip)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre left Lambeau Field just before Green Bay practiced Tuesday afternoon, and coach Mike McCarthy says the three-time MVP isn’t in the “proper mindset” to be part of the Packers.

McCarthy talked to reporters about the standoff over Favre’s retirement after practice.

The coach said he and Favre had “a ton of conversations” over the last couple of days about the quarterback’s desire to come back and play in the NFL, but McCarthy wasn’t convinced that Favre wants to be part of the Packers.

“I have to keep the train moving,” McCarthy said.

McCarthy said that when he asked Favre whether he was committed to playing for Green Bay, “that’s not where he was.”

GP
08-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow.

Coach McCarthy just laid the smack down on Favre. LOL!!!

Oh, this made my day.

Apparently, Favre got served. He thought he was going to waltz in and dictate how things go...and I think McCarthy got off the chain and chewed a new one on the Country Boy.

Check this out from ESPN.com (No Babies Allowed On The Train: Brett Told To Go Suck His Thumb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3520925)):

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The bond between Brett Favre and the Green Bay Packers appears to be broken beyond repair.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Tuesday evening that after approximately six hours of what he called "brutally honest" conversations with Favre over the past two days, the three-time MVP just isn't in the right mind-set to be part of the team.

Even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table, McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks.

"The football team's moving forward," McCarthy said. "The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want. He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

McCarthy said he and Favre made plans to speak later Tuesday evening, but McCarthy didn't seem to allow for the possibility that anything significant would change.

Favre seemed resigned to a future elsewhere, telling ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Tuesday morning that the "best thing for this team is for us to part ways."

LOL!!!

I love the bolded part I put in red.

"The train has left the station..."

And Brett is standing on the platform, bitching like someone who deserved first class accommodations and was told he'd get coach class and LIKE it.

McCarthy is alright. Way to go!

GP
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
SIX HOURS that the coach sat there and let Brett Favre re-open all these "emotional wounds" that Favre had. What is this, Dr. Phil?

Geez. Can you imagine the massive headache McCarthy had after that ordeal?

Sounds like six hours of McCarthy trying to tell Favre that the main interest in Green Bay, right now, is playing football and NOT acting like a victim all the time.

And to think we just saw the video of The Triumphant Entry by Favre when his magic plane landed and touched its golden wheels upon the sacred airstrip that so humbly cradled Brett's private jet. LOL. He was all grinning and strutting when he returned. Probably started to trot into the locker room and Coach said, "Uh, Brett. I need to sit and have a cup of coffee with ya' for a little bit."

"Yeah, I know coach. Later. I gotta' go get my jockey strap on. I bet someone has already put icy hot in it! Those clowns. I'll get 'em back with a chest of ice into the hut tub after practice today. Now, I reckon you guys still have my locker in its same spot, right?"

Hi Brett! Bye Brett!

What a great and glorious day. A coach finally stands up to a superstar and tells it like it is.

Corrosion
08-05-2008, 11:23 PM
For some reason I get the feeling that the Packers helped Favre decide to retire after last season , that they didnt want him back all along . That offer of $25million to just go away says a lot about how they feel.

Corrosion
08-05-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow.

Coach McCarthy just laid the smack down on Favre. LOL!!!

Oh, this made my day.

Apparently, Favre got served. He thought he was going to waltz in and dictate how things go...and I think McCarthy got off the chain and chewed a new one on the Country Boy.

Check this out from ESPN.com (No Babies Allowed On The Train: Brett Told To Go Suck His Thumb (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3520925)):

LOL!!!

I love the bolded part I put in red.

"The train has left the station..."

And Brett is standing on the platform, bitching like someone who deserved first class accommodations and was told he'd get coach class and LIKE it.

McCarthy is alright. Way to go!

Its McCarthy's job thats on the line with this move ..... Careful what ya wish for ....

GP
08-06-2008, 12:01 AM
For some reason I get the feeling that the Packers helped Favre decide to retire after last season , that they didnt want him back all along . That offer of $25million to just go away says a lot about how they feel.

I actually think they were trying to help Favre save some face.

"Here's $25 million to help you feel more secure about your retirement decision. You were a good QB, we need to move on, and take THIS as a retirement gift from us."

If you retired at Favre's age, and got $25 million at your going away party, would you be this big of a jerk about it like Brett is? Let's say you took over for the guy who worked there, and then the guy comes back about 4 months later and announces that he's ready to take his job back. I think McCarthy did a good job of bringing Favre back down to earth.

They could have not even offered Favre the $25 million.

Why is it that some people think management is always out to screw the little guy? I've worked for jerks, and I've worked for good people. I don't think the Packers organization did any underhanded things to Brett.

They waited on Brett every year to bestow his grace upon them. This was the end of the road. But people can't move on. They won't let him. Brett thinks he HAS to come back. For the fans.

But apparently, McCarthy helped Brett see that Brett has to come back for Brett...and NOT just to be somebody's hero again.

stingray
08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I haven't commented on this thread because I am simply tired of this subject. The only thing I can say is that the Packers are obligated to the fans to put the best team out there to win a super bowl in 2008 especially after going to an NFC Championship in 2007. Without Brett Favre, they will have three QB's that have never started an NFL game before in their life. Is that really a sound plan? Now, if they had a solid proven Qb waiting to take over then I would say, goodbye Brett, but Aaron Rodgers is unproven. The fans deserve a chance at a Super Bowl, and Brett gives them that chance.

GuerillaBlack
08-06-2008, 05:28 AM
Favre officially traded to the Bucs now (or so I heard).

AnthonyE
08-06-2008, 05:55 AM
Favre officially traded to the Bucs now (or so I heard).

Yeah, it's on the NFL Network News ticker. He's expecting to be traded today.

The Packers have to be idiots if they think they're going to have even 50% of the fan support they've had the last 15 seasons. :/

UGH, Charlie Casserly is on NFLN, and they just had to bring up Mario Williams even though he's supposed to be talking about Favre. -_-

Mr teX
08-06-2008, 08:37 AM
goodell is not going to be down with that and neither is Favre. if they pull a stunt like that Goodell will shred that contract to bits and he will be a Viking before you could say NFC North.

Complete garbage. brett's an iconic figure in Green Bay & the NFL but the notion that he's done more for that franchise & it's image is laughable. Green Bay isn't known as "titletown" b/c of Brett Favre, that distinction belongs to a guy named Vince Lombardi. You might've heard of him, he's the guy whose name the NFL championship trophy bears. :trophy: :sarcasm:
Dude was a pioneer of the game who didn't need 200 years to become what he is known as today.

In that regard Brett is a roach under Lombardi's shoe.

Favre's acting like a baby, plain & simple. Apparently now, an "open QB competition" in exchange for his continued dedication in the film room isn't even good enough for him to come back to the packers. He's all butt hurt at the fact that the pack tried to move on without him.

GP
08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah, it's on the NFL Network News ticker. He's expecting to be traded today.

The Packers have to be idiots if they think they're going to have even 50% of the fan support they've had the last 15 seasons. :/

UGH, Charlie Casserly is on NFLN, and they just had to bring up Mario Williams even though he's supposed to be talking about Favre. -_-

I can't find the story, but the research in the story yesterday has shown that Favre's "approval" ratings are not so good in Packers country.

People are tiring of him, even in Packers country.

WWJD
08-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I actually think they were trying to help Favre save some face.

"Here's $25 million to help you feel more secure about your retirement decision. You were a good QB, we need to move on, and take THIS as a retirement gift from us."

If you retired at Favre's age, and got $25 million at your going away party, would you be this big of a jerk about it like Brett is? Let's say you took over for the guy who worked there, and then the guy comes back about 4 months later and announces that he's ready to take his job back. I think McCarthy did a good job of bringing Favre back down to earth.

They could have not even offered Favre the $25 million.

Why is it that some people think management is always out to screw the little guy? I've worked for jerks, and I've worked for good people. I don't think the Packers organization did any underhanded things to Brett.

They waited on Brett every year to bestow his grace upon them. This was the end of the road. But people can't move on. They won't let him. Brett thinks he HAS to come back. For the fans.

But apparently, McCarthy helped Brett see that Brett has to come back for Brett...and NOT just to be somebody's hero again.

Did you watch Brett's Fox interview? Just curious...it's obvious from that that he was coming back on his own...not from some deep seeded need to pacify the Pack fans. He was just simply not ready to retire. That's it. Real simple.

He wasn't worried about "saving face" when he gave that interview. He just simply wanted his job back.

stiff
08-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I can't find the story, but the research in the story yesterday has shown that Favre's "approval" ratings are not so good in Packers country.

Having spent the later part of last week and the weekend there I can tell you that is true.

2BCF
08-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Yep they're sick of him...

http://savebrett.net/picture/img_1731.jpg?pictureId=1330473&asGalleryImage=true&__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1217624483804

Texan_Bill
08-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Yep they're sick of him...

http://savebrett.net/picture/img_1731.jpg?pictureId=1330473&asGalleryImage=true&__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1217624483804

From the savebrett.net main page:

Sadness Quickly Turns to Anger as Packer Fans Absorb Unthinkable News
SaveBrett.net Petition Receives Over 1,000 Signatures within an Hour;
Petition Crashes Under Surge of Traffic

ESPN's Wendi Nix is reporting that a "calm" is descending on Green Bay as people accept Brett Favre's likely trade to Tampa Bay. With all due respect to Wendi nothing could be further from the truth. Although the streets surrounding Lambeau Field quickly quieted after news of Favre's likely trade the mood is anything but "calm."

After news hit we received a surge of over 20,000 unique visitors and have experienced over 42,000 unique page hits. At one point we were receiving petition signatures so fast that the overwhelming demand crashed our petition website for about 20 minutes before it was restored.

HoustonFrog
08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm so tired of this little ***** called Favre.

As far as the fans, I've heard multiple callers and hosts on national and local shows say they are split up there with many saying they are tired of it and that he created his own drama. They can go back to filling up on cheese, pork rinds and fat.

2BCF
08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
If he does go to TB, it'll be interesting to see Favre being coached by "Chucky". Or will it be the other way around?

GP
08-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm so tired of this little ***** called Favre.

As far as the fans, I've heard multiple callers and hosts on national and local shows say they are split up there with many saying they are tired of it and that he created his own drama. They can go back to filling up on cheese, pork rinds and fat.

Here's the most telling article on this whole deal: Favre To Blame For Messy Divorce (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-favrerodgers080508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

Leave it up to yahoo.com to actually do some REAL reporting, instead of places like espn who have zero hardcore journalism skills. I've read articles by the major sports media, and they all seem to play up the drama.

In the yahoo.com article, we see the following:

1. Packers were probably tired of playing a subservient role to Favre

2. Favre was pissed at Ted Thompson for not going after Randy Moss, as well as for choosing McCarthy over Mariucci. Uh, Favre openly slams his boss (McCarthy) and slams the GM for not hiring someone else. That's not going to get you far, Brett.

3. Favre showed up with his wife and watched the Family Night scrimmage from a LUXURY BOOTH...you know, those things reserved for big shot businessmen and actors and stuff. I agree with the author of the article when he said that was a stupid move by Brett.

4. Desiring to play for two of your divisional rivals is asking wayyyy too much. That's a swipe at the team that paid you millions for so long, and it just unravels any idea of keeping things civil. This is the NFC NORTH here, OK? This is as big as USC-ND or UT-A&M or Duke-NC. This would be like Mario Williams desiring to play for the Titans or the Jags. Ouch.

Good job! to McCarthy. He looks fully aware that he feels he's making the right decision, and GASP! the GM is letting the head coach do what he thinks he needs to do to move on in the best way possible.

Hi, Brett. Bye, Brett. Never thought it'd work out this way. Really thought that his return meant that the Packers had caved to the Hillbilly Supertar.

powerfuldragon
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM
favre will fail in florida.

ObsiWan
08-06-2008, 12:03 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/sc/2008/sc080805.gif (http://www.mycomicspage.com/stuartcarlson/)

I think it IS Brett's evil twin Bertt that's causing all this trouble.

Mr teX
08-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's the most telling article on this whole deal: Favre To Blame For Messy Divorce (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-favrerodgers080508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns).

Leave it up to yahoo.com to actually do some REAL reporting, instead of places like espn who have zero hardcore journalism skills. I've read articles by the major sports media, and they all seem to play up the drama.

In the yahoo.com article, we see the following:

1. Packers were probably tired of playing a subservient role to Favre

2. Favre was pissed at Ted Thompson for not going after Randy Moss, as well as for choosing McCarthy over Mariucci. Uh, Favre openly slams his boss (McCarthy) and slams the GM for not hiring someone else. That's not going to get you far, Brett.

3. Favre showed up with his wife and watched the Family Night scrimmage from a LUXURY BOOTH...you know, those things reserved for big shot businessmen and actors and stuff. I agree with the author of the article when he said that was a stupid move by Brett.

4. Desiring to play for two of your divisional rivals is asking wayyyy too much. That's a swipe at the team that paid you millions for so long, and it just unravels any idea of keeping things civil. This is the NFC NORTH here, OK? This is as big as USC-ND or UT-A&M or Duke-NC. This would be like Mario Williams desiring to play for the Titans or the Jags. Ouch.

Good job! to McCarthy. He looks fully aware that he feels he's making the right decision, and GASP! the GM is letting the head coach do what he thinks he needs to do to move on in the best way possible.

Hi, Brett. Bye, Brett. Never thought it'd work out this way. Really thought that his return meant that the Packers had caved to the Hillbilly Supertar.

Favre's breaking the unspoken rule on most major team sports:
No 1 person is above the team.

McCarthy is earning my respect more & more each day b/c he seems to realize something that i don't think Favre & his supporters have. The team's success last year was b/c they were good in every phase of the game, not solely b/c Favre had this "renaissance" & catapulted them to 13 -3 by himself. Yes he had a great season last year, but so did Kampman, Barnett & Crosby. I keep hearing Favres' nuthuggers (Madden, Schefter, Mariucci etc) say that "he doesn't want to mess up the team chemistry.." or something to that effect, but that's all he's done thus far by dragging this crap out. It's just been a slower process unlike how the TO's do it.

GP
08-06-2008, 01:11 PM
favre will fail in florida.

Yep.

He's on a team with virtually no running game. And I don't think the receiving corps is all that great, is it? Nobody stands out to me, at least.

Defense is suspect, as well.

Good news? It's a very weak division. That's about it for the good news. Oh, I forgot the pirate ship. That's a cool thing that might have been part of the deal: Apparently, Brett has it in the contract that the cannons on the ship will spew out little sheets of paper which have his photo on it and a few bullet points of propaganda about how badly he wanted to play in Tampa Bay all these years.

There's a good reason Favre wanted Chicago or Minnesota, rather than Jets/Bucs. Gruden is probably the clincher on the deal. A buddy working for a buddy, with the pipe dream of re-living history.

Second Honeymoon
08-06-2008, 01:40 PM

well see how McCarthy and Thompson's approval ratings are once they go 4-12 this year with Rodgers and Co. at Quarterback. I think they did the right thing by Rodgers by sticking by him, but I think they screwed the rest of the team and the fans.

You heard it here first. The packers will be lucky to win 5 games and Rodgers probably will hurt around Week 2 or 3.

I don't know how Favre is going to do in Tampa or wherever he plays, but I do know that the Packers are going to go into the tank and Ted Thompson and McCarthy will be driven out of town like Frankenstein.

The only thing Rodgers has proven is that he is injury prone and that he can hold a clipboard. Favre has proven a case to be the greatest QB of all time (statistically speaking). Packers are morons and I can't wait to see them fail.

Kaiser Toro
08-06-2008, 01:45 PM
You are smoking SH. The Packers will win 10 games regardless of who is taking snaps. Talented, young and deep are the Packers. If it were not for an old and cold #4, on the frozen tundra no less, playing against the Giants, the Packers may have made it to the Super Bowl.

WWJD
08-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Packer fans (something like 50 thousand of them) were booing Rodgers the other day at that scrimmage they had...he had missed something like 9 passes or something in a row.

As soon as that happens in a game that counts the fans will be screaming for Brett.

And he's gone...bye bye to Tampa or wherever and I personally think he'll do fine because he's just that good.

The Packers are just another team now...trying to find an identity with a guy that has never played much and when he did he's always ended up hurt. Not his fault but that's just the way it's been.

That weight on Aaron's shoulder just became about a ton heavier. We'll see if he can handle it.

WWJD
08-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Favre's breaking the unspoken rule on most major team sports:
No 1 person is above the team.

McCarthy is earning my respect more & more each day b/c he seems to realize something that i don't think Favre & his supporters have. The team's success last year was b/c they were good in every phase of the game, not solely b/c Favre had this "renaissance" & catapulted them to 13 -3 by himself. Yes he had a great season last year, but so did Kampman, Barnett & Crosby. I keep hearing Favres' nuthuggers (Madden, Schefter, Mariucci etc) say that "he doesn't want to mess up the team chemistry.." or something to that effect, but that's all he's done thus far by dragging this crap out. It's just been a slower process unlike how the TO's do it.

I imagine Brett probably went into that meeting with his coach saying what he said on his Fox interview...that he should come back as the starter and there is no reason he shouldn't. You don't put a QB like him on the bench.

It would do him no good to have gone thru all this to sit on the bench now would it?

They lied to him about even talking to Coach Mariucci...he said he asked them to interview him and that was all...he did not say you have to hire him..just talk to him and they told him they did and didn't.

I think perhaps Brett can't get around all the lies he's been told by the FO of the Packers. It's hard to work with people when you can't trust them. Best he move on...he's too darn good to hold a clipboard.

El Tejano
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
BTW, the NFL probably will want everyone to wear a picture of Brett Favre on the back of their helmets. I'm getting tired of this.

Mr teX
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Packer fans (something like 50 thousand of them) were booing Rodgers the other day at that scrimmage they had...he had missed something like 9 passes or something in a row.

As soon as that happens in a game that counts the fans will be screaming for Brett.
And he's gone...bye bye to Tampa or wherever and I personally think he'll do fine because he's just that good.

The Packers are just another team now...trying to find an identity with a guy that has never played much and when he did he's always ended up hurt. Not his fault but that's just the way it's been.

That weight on Aaron's shoulder just became about a ton heavier. We'll see if he can handle it.

Fans are fickle.
I don't see why you think AR wasn't gonna go thru that when guys like steve young had to go through it as well. That's what happens when you follow a legend no matter how great you're projected to be or wind up becoming.

If the team still wins & goes to the playoffs & AR plays decent for a 1st year starter i doubt the fans will be screaming for Brett.

HOU-TEX
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
I think I'd be happier sucking farts out of a dead chickens ass rather than the saga surrounding Brett. Just as I thought Total Access couldn't get anymore disappointing with all the Favre coverage.....they bring on the Lord of Asshats (Charlie Casserly) for his "expert opinoin". :bat:

Just as I was about to send my remote sailing through the TV screen, a sense of tranquillity quickly flushed throughout my body as I remember the Texans will soon be on the field this Saturday night. The feeling of having Favre's every move force fed to me will soon cease for at least 3-4 hours.

:fans:

Mr teX
08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I imagine Brett probably went into that meeting with his coach saying what he said on his Fox interview...that he should come back as the starter and there is no reason he shouldn't. You don't put a QB like him on the bench.

It would do him no good to have gone thru all this to sit on the bench now would it?

They lied to him about even talking to Coach Mariucci...he said he asked them to interview him and that was all...he did not say you have to hire him..just talk to him and they told him they did and didn't.

I think perhaps Brett can't get around all the lies he's been told by the FO of the Packers. It's hard to work with people when you can't trust them. Best he move on...he's too darn good to hold a clipboard.

Well, we'll see how good he still is this year when he doesn't have a Greg Jennings taking a 7 yd slant route 60 more yards for him helping to pad his stats. Or he doesn't have a Donald Driver jumping up to snatch balls that shouldn't have been thrown in the 1st place through double coverage.

He's not above holding a clipboard, if the pack chose to bench or trade him 2 years ago i doubt we are going on about this, b/c then you guys wouldn't have last seasons stats as a crux for your arguments.

Texan_Bill
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
BTW, the NFL probably will want everyone to wear a picture of Brett Favre on the back of their helmets. I'm getting tired of this.

No picture because the decal has already been designed for the back of the helmets:

http://images.cafepress.com/image/12297907_125x125.jpg

GP
08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
well see how McCarthy and Thompson's approval ratings are once they go 4-12 this year with Rodgers and Co. at Quarterback. I think they did the right thing by Rodgers by sticking by him, but I think they screwed the rest of the team and the fans.

You heard it here first. The packers will be lucky to win 5 games and Rodgers probably will hurt around Week 2 or 3.

I don't know how Favre is going to do in Tampa or wherever he plays, but I do know that the Packers are going to go into the tank and Ted Thompson and McCarthy will be driven out of town like Frankenstein.

The only thing Rodgers has proven is that he is injury prone and that he can hold a clipboard. Favre has proven a case to be the greatest QB of all time (statistically speaking). Packers are morons and I can't wait to see them fail.

Eeek. I don't think I agree with you on this one.

I think Brett has a steeper hill to climb in Tampa Bay than the entire Packers team has with Aaron Rodgers at the controls.

Predicting a disaster for the GM and HC, together, is like Altoids: curiously strong.

Goldensilence
08-06-2008, 03:03 PM
If the TB deal goes through best of luck to Brett. I would've made the call right after the game with the Giants that i was going to return next year after being a step away back from the SB. That's just me though.

I don't get how some people are calling Rodgers injury prone considering he's been in the wings behind an Iron man QB and a legend in the league. No way he was going to ever break the lineup regardless until Favre decided to fully retire. He's unproven but looked like a starter at least in the little time we've gotten to see him.

Far as the Pack goes next year I don't see how you can't think they're not going to be competitive unless Rodgers just really stinks it up. They've got a good Veteran WR in Driver and a young talented Corps behind him. If Grant picks up where he left off last year then they're most likely going to have a consistent rushing game if nothing less. Donald Lee had a nice season last year and they added Finley to the TEs. Rodgers has weapons at his disposal and a good defense at his back.

Lastly.....they play in the NFC North.

Mr teX
08-06-2008, 03:19 PM
If the TB deal goes through best of luck to Brett. I would've made the call right after the game with the Giants that i was going to return next year after being a step away back from the SB. That's just me though.

I don't get how some people are calling Rodgers injury prone considering he's been in the wings behind an Iron man QB and a legend in the league. No way he was going to ever break the lineup regardless until Favre decided to fully retire. He's unproven but looked like a starter at least in the little time we've gotten to see him.

Far as the Pack goes next year I don't see how you can't think they're not going to be competitive unless Rogers just really stinks it up. They've got a good Veteran WR in Drivers and a young talented Corps behind him. If Grant picks up where he left off last year then they're most likely going to have a consistent rushing game if nothing less. Donald Lee had a nice season last year and they added Finley to the TEs. Rodgers has weapons at his disposal and a good defense at his back.

Lastly.....they play in the NFC North.

Great post, rep your way for seeing the packers team as a whole instead of Favre & the packers.

AR would have to stink it up Ryan Leaf style for them to not win at least 10 games.
Its funny b/c ESPIN & NFLTA all kept showing AR's Int over & over & made reference to how many incompletions he had in a row, but they would always say, "he led a TD drive early on.." I don't think i ever saw that td drive.

GP
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
I think Goodell forced the Packers' hand, and Ari Fleischer (sp?) advised the Packers to go ahead and let the reinstatement happen...then, the thinking is this: Let Favre make his Triumphant Entry into the camp facility, but lock him up deep inside the facility and hammer Favre until Favre walks away disgusted.

No pads. No helmet. No trotting out onto the field and flashing the thumbs up to the kids in #4 jerseys. That's what Favre thought was gonna' happen, and that's what the Packers pretended to the media was going to happen. But the plan, all along, was to let Dictator Goodell get some of what he wanted, but not all of it. That'd be a damn fine strategy if that's how it worked out. General George Patton would be proud: "Favre, you magnificent bastard! I read your book!"

I think Packers figured they could let Goodell have his way, bring in the Man God (Favre), and privately out-flank him by showing him that he's not "in the right mindset" to be on the team. Instead of Favre getting his way, you have a head coach who rightly told him how the cow eats the cabbage and then McCarthy immediately issues a press conference ASAP and maintains his loyalty to Rodgers (thereby contrasting it against Favre's flip flopping).

I think Ari earned his pay on this one. I think the Packers made a beautiful cornerback blitz that Favre didn't see coming his way, which is why Favre is claiming that stories have been planted, there's been false posturing, etc.

Well, hell, Brett...They just out-maneuvered you at your own game.

LOL. This is THE best off-season filler. Ever.

WWJD
08-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, we'll see how good he still is this year when he doesn't have a Greg Jennings taking a 7 yd slant route 60 more yards for him helping to pad his stats. Or he doesn't have a Donald Driver jumping up to snatch balls that shouldn't have been thrown in the 1st place through double coverage.

He's not above holding a clipboard, if the pack chose to bench or trade him 2 years ago i doubt we are going on about this, b/c then you guys wouldn't have last seasons stats as a crux for your arguments.

Wasn't Tampa Bay in the playoffs last year? It's not as though they are the bane of the league or anything.

And I'm sorry but Brett is far too good and has done too much in this league to hold a clipboard when he's perfectly capable of playing.

I'm not using last season as a argument but rather a whole career. A FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAME CAREER as my argument.

He deserves to play if he wants. And obviously that's what he wants!

WWJD
08-06-2008, 05:58 PM
Fans are fickle.
I don't see why you think AR wasn't gonna go thru that when guys like steve young had to go through it as well. That's what happens when you follow a legend no matter how great you're projected to be or wind up becoming.

If the team still wins & goes to the playoffs & AR plays decent for a 1st year starter i doubt the fans will be screaming for Brett.

Well they were already screaming for his head and that was a scrimmage. I can't imagine a game would be much different.

I don't wish the guy ill...in fact I hope he does well...I'm sure he's probably a nice enough guy and all but when I heard Brett wanted to play and had decided on coming back I felt that he was due his job back.

And I haven't changed my mind obviously. His interview on FOX convinced me that Brett was expressing his honest opinion and he laid out what had happened, why he had said what he had and it all made sense to me.

Second Honeymoon
08-06-2008, 06:15 PM
You are smoking SH. The Packers will win 10 games regardless of who is taking snaps. Talented, young and deep are the Packers. If it were not for an old and cold #4, on the frozen tundra no less, playing against the Giants, the Packers may have made it to the Super Bowl.

I was at work then, so I wasn't smoking....but I am now and I still think the Packers will be fortunate to win 5 games under the circumstances. That situtation is going to implode.

Just wait until they realize what they lost and see how things change when no one respects their QB's ability to read defenses and burn the blitz. Rodgers has been really classy and pretty damn savvy during all this, but at the end of the day he is a china doll Tedford system QB. That aint exactly a ringing endorsement for success.

I will say this, if Brohm can play well his rookie year, they may be able to reach .500. Yeah, their team looked good last year but that was with Favre at the helm...Rodgers isn't going to get the job done. He is totally set up for failure. If the Packers reach 8 wins this year, 5 of them will have to be in their division and I bet half the wins would be sans Rodgers as starter. Rodgers couldn't last one game without getting injured last year and I could easily see him knocked out opening day against the brutal Vikings pass rush.

Second Honeymoon
08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Fans are fickle.

Comparing Steve Young to Aaron Rodgers is probably a pretty unfair comparison. Young had already proven himself for 3 years as a successful backup and 2 years as a starter ('91 he showed the skills *and some of his own injury issues* and in '92 they got to the NFC Championship Game losing to the Jimmy Johnson-led Cowboys) Montana wasn't shipped to KC until the '93 season and some of us Oilers fans know that all too well.

Young already had won some 49er faithful over (most significantly Policy and Walsh) and at least there was an argument on who was the best guy for the 49ers. Montana also had had huge injury issues since 1989 and there was an argument to make. There is no argument between Rodgers and Favre. With Young and Montana, even the biggest 'Joe' Homer knew that Young made more football sense and they were rewarded with a Super Bowl trophy albeit against a woefully poor Chargers team led by Stan Humphries...ugh that game blew chunks. it was like Madden '93...Young dropped like 6 or 7 TDs on those fools.

Dont get me wrong. Rodgers has handled himself with class and Favre hasn't always handled himself well, but Favre is Favre and Rodgers is Rodgers. One holds just about every record in history while the other one holds a clipboard.

Favre made Green Bay relevant again and he has had a huge hand in making the league the huge success that it is. You can give Thompson and McCarthy all the credit you want, but post back here in a season or two when both guys are unemployed and the Packers are late night talk show fodder....

Kaiser Toro
08-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I was at work then, so I wasn't smoking....but I am now and I still think the Packers will be fortunate to win 5 games under the circumstances. That situtation is going to implode.

Just wait until they realize what they lost and see how things change when no one respects their QB's ability to read defenses and burn the blitz. Rodgers has been really classy and pretty damn savvy during all this, but at the end of the day he is a china doll Tedford system QB. That aint exactly a ringing endorsement for success.

I will say this, if Brohm can play well his rookie year, they may be able to reach .500. Yeah, their team looked good last year but that was with Favre at the helm...Rodgers isn't going to get the job done. He is totally set up for failure. If the Packers reach 8 wins this year, 5 of them will have to be in their division and I bet half the wins would be sans Rodgers as starter. Rodgers couldn't last one game without getting injured last year and I could easily see him knocked out opening day against the brutal Vikings pass rush.

So the Packers would have won only 5 games (8 less than last year) this year just because of Favre's retirement and Rodgers' ascendancy? I just don't see a young, deep and talented team with something to prove so susceptible to laying down. They were mentally prepared for his exit once before, this is not unchartered territory.

TEXANS84
08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey, if Brett does go to TB...at least we get to see him pre-season week 4 at home.

GuerillaBlack
08-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Favre officially a Jet.

http://espn.go.com/

cuppacoffee
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Reported by FoxSports. No details yet.

Just read on espn ticker.

:coffee:

edo783
08-06-2008, 11:02 PM
PFT and others are reporting that Brett Favre has been traded to the Jets. Details of trade are not yet available. On another note, valium sales spiked to astronomical new highs in Wisconsin.

powerfuldragon
08-06-2008, 11:03 PM
oh xhiet.

Kaiser Toro
08-06-2008, 11:04 PM
ESPN is running with it

GuerillaBlack
08-06-2008, 11:05 PM
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51650

GuerillaBlack
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51650

Kaiser Toro
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
From Jay Glazer at Fox

The Brett Favre era in Green Bay is now officially over. But Favre's legendary career is not.

The month-long saga has finally come to an end, with the Packers agreeing to trade their future Hall-of-Fame quarterback to the New York Jets, FOXSports.com has learned.
The exact compensation was not immediately known, but it is believed to be a single draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

FAVRE: THROUGH THE YEARS Photos: There will only ever be one Brett Favre. Take a stroll down memory lane and check out Favre through the years and his greatest moments. As a result of this, the Jets will likely release a quarterback. Signs have been pointing to Chad Pennington as the likely culprit because the team will need to free up cap room to fit Favre's contract under the salary cap.

The Jets were much more aggressive than the Bucs in their pursuit of Favre all along. The bigger issue was getting Favre on the same page as the Packers front office as far as the Jets were concerned.

Finally, late Tuesday, Favre talked to Jets head coach Eric Mangini and others in the organization for the first time as they tried to convince Favre he would be a good fit in New York.

The Packers had been hopeful of getting a deal done with the Jets for two reasons. One, it was the better offer on the table as far as the quality of the compensation. Two, it sends Favre out of the conference, meaning a meeting in the playoffs is an extreme longshot.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8381934/Favre-out:-Packers-trade-legend-to-Jets

BSofA04
08-06-2008, 11:26 PM
This is too funny. The Jets?!! I thought he wanted to go to a contender. We were force fed Favre for the last few weeks and he ends up in NY!

And the legacy diminishes in 3...2...1....

mariowillshine15
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Great i get to watch Tom Brady own him twice a year till he retires.

Big Lou
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
The Packers Management are a bunch of A-Holes!!!! No employee should ever be able to tell thier Boss what to do, but Brett Favre proved that he is still a great QB. For the Packers Brass to not even allow him compete for the starting job is ridiculous.

I wish Brett was going to the Viking so he could should it up the Packs Managements you know what. If he were going to a better team I would guarantee that Ted Thompson would be out of a job in less than two years, but I can't say for sure since he's going to the Jets.

Favre desreved to be cut as requested. Good luck Green Bay your headed to mediocrity in no time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Lou

Shaft75
08-06-2008, 11:35 PM
Did Ted Thompson once work for Bud Adams? Just seems like the same school of thought ignoring history while searching for a better bottom line.

I feel for my boy Brett. I hope he lights it up for the Jets, though only when they aren't playing the Texans.

The pack just flushed a ton of history down the toilet straight to NY. Unfreakin-believable!

Lucky
08-06-2008, 11:39 PM
As a result of this, the Jets will likely release a quarterback. Signs have been pointing to Chad Pennington as the likely culprit because the team will need to free up cap room to fit Favre's contract under the salary cap.
If Pennington is released, it would be so like Belichick to sign him to a 1 year deal.

I don't get this from a Jets perspective. It's not like they are a QB away from a championship. Or have trouble filling seats. Does a Brett Favre farewell tour buy Tangini an extra year for their rebuilding project? The Jets don't run the WCO. Can Favre learn a different offense is less than a full offseason? Doesn't make sense, to me.

TexanSam
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
I hope Brett Favre goes out with a dud. His whole act his been annoying. I'm not rooting for him to succeed with the Jets. He should have stayed retired.

I don't like how either side handled things. Ted Thompson and the Packers brass have huge egos. If they didn't, they would have been smart enough to know that Brett Favre gives them the best chance to win a championship in 2008.

Brett Favre's whole "I'm retiring...no wait, I'm not" also is irritating. Make up your damn mind. And seemingly trying to hold a team hostage while wanting to be released or traded to a team of his choice annoyed the hell out of me. I wish the Packers had traded him to the Raiders.

As a whole though, I support the Packers more for trading him than I do Favre for coming back.

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I hope Brett Favre goes out with a dud. His whole act his been annoying. I'm not rooting for him to succeed with the Jets. He should have stayed retired.

I don't like how either side handled things. Ted Thompson and the Packers brass have huge egos. If they didn't, they would have been smart enough to know that Brett Favre gives them the best chance to win a championship in 2008.

Brett Favre's whole "I'm retiring...no wait, I'm not" also is irritating. Make up your damn mind. And seemingly trying to hold a team hostage while wanting to be released or traded to a team of his choice annoyed the hell out of me. I wish the Packers had traded him to the Raiders.

As a whole though, I support the Packers more for trading him than I do Favre for coming back.

I don't agree with your line of thinking when it comes to Favre.

Try to wonder what this would feel if Favre was a Texan for several years, had never missed a game and just came off a season where he carried th Texans to a conference title game. Then throw in all that he has done for the community, how many memories that he gave to the fanbase. How can you deny him the right to at least just compete to be apart of the team. How can you tell a legend(that obviously has something in the tank) to stay away? How do you trade away and spew all over the legacy? How would you feel as a fan?

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2008, 12:01 AM
If Pennington is released, it would be so like Belichick to sign him to a 1 year deal.

I don't get this from a Jets perspective. It's not like they are a QB away from a championship. Or have trouble filling seats. Does a Brett Favre farewell tour buy Tangini an extra year for their rebuilding project? The Jets don't run the WCO. Can Favre learn a different offense is less than a full offseason? Doesn't make sense, to me.

New Stadium in 2009

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2008, 12:12 AM
This has been an amazingly expensive offseason for the Jets. They're in a total win now at any cost mode. If they don't have a winning season this season, Mangini is toast.

And if we thought we had heard enough of Favre in Wisconsin, wait until the NY press start. OMG. Favre news will never end. Peter King is going to be his pool boy.

oh, geez. I just realized that my wife is a (tertiary-level) Jets fan. :gun:

Kaiser Toro
08-07-2008, 12:16 AM
ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3522971)

The exact compensation wasn't immediately available, but it is believed to be a fourth-round draft pick that increases in value depending upon how the Jets perform during the 2008 season.

According to the NFL Network, if Favre takes 50 percent of total snaps with the Jets in 2008, the fourth rounder becomes a third-round pick. If he gets 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets make the playoffs, it becomes a second-round pick; and if he gets 80 percent of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first-round pick.

2BCF
08-07-2008, 12:33 AM

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson issued a statement early Thursday.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform,"

lol @ "Woody Johnson", guess he's happy to see Favre.

yeah, I know... I need to grow up.

Ryan
08-07-2008, 12:45 AM
lol @ "Woody Johnson", guess he's happy to see Favre.

yeah, I know... I need to grow up.

haha, nice one.

I'm just glad this nonsense is somewhat over.

texasguy346
08-07-2008, 12:51 AM
I just saw on NFL Network's ticker that if the Jets were to trade Farve to Minnesota the Packers would receive three first round picks.

I do have to wonder with as much effort that Green Bay went to in order to keep from helping Minnesota that by trading Brett to the Jets they might inadvertently help the Vikings. What happens if the Jets release Pennington who then signs with the Vikings? Granted he doesn't have the same arm strength as Brett, but he's an accurate passer who can manage a game effectively. With Peterson in the backfield & the Vikings' defense that sounds like a winning formula to me.

HoustonFrog
08-07-2008, 07:09 AM
So I'm seeing this as a Favre for a 2nd Rounder since he most likely will get all the snaps. I guess a 3rd if they don't make the playoffs.

Hardcore Texan
08-07-2008, 07:22 AM
The worst part of all of this is when he retires, AGAIN, we are going to have go through a week long send off, AGAIN, and re-live this entire saga. :gun:

pittbull3
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
It's about time, now can we talk about a real football team and real players. Anybody seen my man Schaub anywhere?

HoustonFrog
08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
The worst part of all of this is when he retires, AGAIN, we are going to have go through a week long send off, AGAIN, and re-live this entire saga. :gun:

Exactly. I mean please don't cry and wave goodbye at every stadium like the last 2 years.

infantrycak
08-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I do have to wonder with as much effort that Green Bay went to in order to keep from helping Minnesota that by trading Brett to the Jets they might inadvertently help the Vikings. What happens if the Jets release Pennington who them signs with the Vikings? Granted he doesn't have the same arm strength as Brett, but he's an accurate passer who can manage a game effectively.

The Vikings would be absolute fools not to sign Pennington. No he isn't going to toss it 60 yards in the air, but he is a smart QB who can effectively distribute the ball and read defenses. With AP and that D plus Pennington they should dominate that division.

HOU-TEX
08-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I betcha Pennington and Clemens are pretty excited about this. :thinking:

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

The packers pretty much raped the jets with this deal. This is easily a 2nd rounder since favre's gonna take all the snaps, the jets pick up the remainder of Favre's contract as well as all the baggage & he goes to the AFC so the pack doesn't have to face him in the playoffs.... Win across the board for the pack.

This is why you don't release him folks.

Immobilarity
08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Try to wonder what this would feel if Favre was a Texan for several years, had never missed a game and just came off a season where he carried th Texans to a conference title game. Then throw in all that he has done for the community, how many memories that he gave to the fanbase. How can you deny him the right to at least just compete to be apart of the team. How can you tell a legend(that obviously has something in the tank) to stay away? How do you trade away and spew all over the legacy? How would you feel as a fan?Ask us about Roger Clemens.

gary
08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I don't think Brett could be happy about going to the Jets.

stiff
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't agree with your line of thinking when it comes to Favre.

Try to wonder what this would feel if Favre was a Texan for several years, had never missed a game and just came off a season where he carried th Texans to a conference title game. Then throw in all that he has done for the community, how many memories that he gave to the fanbase. How can you deny him the right to at least just compete to be apart of the team. How can you tell a legend(that obviously has something in the tank) to stay away? How do you trade away and spew all over the legacy? How would you feel as a fan?

I agree but disagree with this. As a lifelong Packers fan (Six Year Texans fan) this has been difficult. I agree with the premise for what Favre has done in the community, and the organization. He has led the team to the Superbowl and won it and lost it. There were several other occasions where his decision making cost the opportunity to get into the Superbowl. Then there are those games where he led the team back from nothing to get into that position.

Favre is a legend and among the top QBs / players all time in the NFL. However no one is bigger than the team or the organization. Especially one with the history of Green Bay. No other team comes close to the 12 NFL championships that Green Bay won. The Superbowl Trophy is named for Lombardi. Favres actions were getting really tiresome for the organization for his temamates and the fans. Even with everything Favre did for the community, has been through as a person there is a limit.

The NFL is a business and as fans we dont always like to see it as such. But think of it in these terms if you told you boss I think I want to retire I am not sure if I want to stick around. No matter how good you were at your job at some point they would get sick of it and tell you to hit the door.

Does it hurt to see Favre in another uniform, yes I feel sick. :headhurts: Will I survive yes. Will the Packers survive yes.

The best thing that could come out of this is the Packers to get to the NFC Championship or the Superbowl. The Jets to make it to the Wild card and get their butts handed to them by the Texans on their way to the Superbowl.

Hardcore Texan
08-07-2008, 08:40 AM
It's about time, now can we talk about a real football team and real players. Anybody seen my man Schaub anywhere?

Exactly. I mean please don't cry and wave goodbye at every stadium like the last 2 years.

How much actual football, like TC coverage, etc. have we missed because of this thing. Why couldn't they update the audience in 5 minutes of each show instead dedicating the entire thing to how many times Brett pooped today, or what was in his cornflakes. A short update and on to football, is that so hard? Apparently so, maybe things will die down and we can actually pay attention to why we all give a shit in the first place......FOOTBALL!

infantrycak
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
This is easily a 2nd rounder since favre's gonna take all the snaps

Nothing easy about it. The Jets were 4-12 last year with two of their wins coming against Miami. Hardly easy for them to get to the play-offs this year which is required in addition to 70% of snaps for them to get a 2nd.

Hervoyel
08-07-2008, 09:15 AM
This is just an exceedingly dumb deal for the Jets. There's a reason why they suck year in and year out and never seem to climb above average and that reason is neatly summed up as bad decision making (which this deal perfectly demonstrates).

There were only a handful of teams that a trade for Favre might have made sense and the Jets weren't one of them. This is not Joe Montana to the Chiefs. This is Joe Namath to the Rams.

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Nothing easy about it. The Jets were 4-12 last year with two of their wins coming against Miami. Hardly easy for them to get to the play-offs this year which is required in addition to 70% of snaps for them to get a 2nd.

yeah you're right, i didn't really read all the details but it's nice to know someone does!

powerfuldragon
08-07-2008, 09:39 AM
so.... are the packers still gonna retire favre's 4 this season?

HOU-TEX
08-07-2008, 09:42 AM
This is just an exceedingly dumb deal for the Jets. There's a reason why they suck year in and year out and never seem to climb above average and that reason is neatly summed up as bad decision making (which this deal perfectly demonstrates).

There were only a handful of teams that a trade for Favre might have made sense and the Jets weren't one of them. This is not Joe Montana to the Chiefs. This is Joe Namath to the Rams.

IMO, it's a desperate coach looking for something to save his job. It's sink or swim for Mangini this season.

WWJD
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
IMO, it's a desperate coach looking for something to save his job. It's sink or swim for Mangini this season.

Hope Brett tears it up there. He'll be in the spotlight more than ever now.

76Texan
08-07-2008, 10:08 AM
On theganggreen.com there's about 4,000 posts in the last few days.
It was reported that at least 700 posters logged in at one time last night.

One quick poll shows that 59% of the fans expect the Jets to win 11 or more games this year (with 32% expect a 13-win plus season.)

Overall 80% expect the Jets to at least have an 8-8 season.

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 10:15 AM
On theganggreen.com there's about 4,000 posts in the last few days.
It was reported that at least 700 posters logged in at one time last night.

One quick poll shows that 59% of the fans expect the Jets to win 11 or more games this year (with 32% expect a 13-win plus season.)
Overall 80% expect the Jets to at least have an 8-8 season.

that 32% is O-ding on the favre kool-aid for real...

Specnatz
08-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Favre did one interview with foxnews and even placed the blame on himself about retiring early, cause Thompson needed a decision very quickly. Football is an emotional hard sport. Your body feels like crap at the end of a season and Freddy new that and you make irrational decisions at that time after a decade and a half of playing.

Ok so Brett deciedes he wants to play and Packers say we give ya $25 mil to walk away from something you love so we do not look like A-holes, Brett said no. Pack could have released him or traded him to the bucs but they wanted to screw Brett and make sure he was on a bad team. The got there wish!

So as far as Brett taking blame that stopped the second he said he wanted to comeback and the pack said sure as a backup trying to force a man to not work. As bad as Brett looks, the Pack look worse for being total A-holes and screwing the player. The 49ers let Joe Motana at least work out a respectable deal and goto a team that was semi respectable and many thought Joe could put them over the top.

infantrycak
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Interesting further detail on the deal. If Favre retires before the expiration of his contract, the Packers have to send a pick back to the Jets--which pick depends on how the Jets had to compensate the Packers.

JWarren14
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

Brett Favre just ate a sandwich for lunch!!!!

WWJD
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Not that Brett needed more endorsement monies but he's in the right city to make a ton of money advertising anything.

And the Jets just became a whole lot more attractive to the fans there.

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Favre did one interview with foxnews and even placed the blame on himself about retiring early, cause Thompson needed a decision very quickly. Football is an emotional hard sport. Your body feels like crap at the end of a season and Freddy new that and you make irrational decisions at that time after a decade and a half of playing.

Ok so Brett deciedes he wants to play and Packers say we give ya $25 mil to walk away from something you love so we do not look like A-holes, Brett said no. Pack could have released him or traded him to the bucs but they wanted to screw Brett and make sure he was on a bad team. The got there wish!

So as far as Brett taking blame that stopped the second he said he wanted to comeback and the pack said sure as a backup trying to force a man to not work. As bad as Brett looks, the Pack look worse for being total A-holes and screwing the player. The 49ers let Joe Motana at least work out a respectable deal and goto a team that was semi respectable and many thought Joe could put them over the top.

Screw that..... why is that some in here feel that he should get EVERYTHING he wants & the pack deserve to get next to nothing? I don't get that at all.

* He gets to waffle every year on whether he wants to continue playing & the pack just stand by & wait.

* If they don't want to wait, they should just release him so that he can go to a team of his liking.

* well if you won't release him, trade him..... to a team of his liking, it doesn't matter if its a division rival or not.... it's all about brett furthering his legend.

They didn't "screw" him he gets some of what he wants & they some of what they want. the pack move on get some sort of compensation & get him out of the division & he gets to play again as the unquestioned starter on a fairly young team that won 10 games & were in the playoffs just 2 years ago.

The packers did what any organization would do with a player that there was obviously a market for.

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree somewhat with what you're saying. All Farve did was retire early, and decide to come back at a late time. Was it a distraction? Bigtime.

However, I agree that they could have tried to at least work it out to get him to some team that had a better chance at competing than the Jets. The Bucs wouldn't have been so bad, and it wouldn't have hurt the Packers in my opinion. I don't think it was fair to go out of their way to keep from going to to other teams that were competitive, all because they were afraid of him.If they were that afraid of him, then they should have kept him on the team if they think he is still that good.

PS. Joe did put the Chiefs over the top. He took that team to an AFC championship in his first year I believe. Joe was the man.

Grams
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm - do the Jets have an OL? a WR? a RB? Do they have any kind of offense at all? Do they even have a defense?

Oh wait they now have Favre - the one-man, do-it-all by myself show.
Sure I can learn a whole new offense in 3 weeks, I can beat the AFC teams, I am the greatest, I do not age, I am Favre. I can do it all!

I see crash and burn coming up. Think the Jets will be lucky to win 5 games this year.

Polo
08-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Hmmmm - do the Jets have an OL? a WR? a RB? Do they have any kind of offense at all? Do they even have a defense?

Sure I can learn a whole new offense in 3 weeks, I can beat the AFC teams, I am the greatest, I do not age, I am Favre. I can do it all!

I see crash and burn coming up. Think the Jets will be lucky to win 5 games this year.

The Jets actually have a pretty decent offense...

Sal Rosenberg
08-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Shut the franchise down....this has turned into a circus....enough already !!!

AMEN! Thank God it is over!

Brando
08-07-2008, 10:59 AM

Boom! Bam!! You hit the nail on the head Brett. If anyone can do it you can. Pass the turducken!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/madden.jpg

ChrisG
08-07-2008, 11:16 AM
i just heard if the Jets deal Farve to ANY team in the NFC North GB gets 3 first round picks. His contract also says if the Jets trade Farve, his new team cannot trade him to the NFC North. LOL they really don't want him in thier division

TexansSeminole
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
The Jets actually have a pretty decent offense...

Really?

I was speaking to a Dolphins fan friend of mine about the trade this morning and he doesn't seem to be too worried. Remember the Jets and Dolphins are in the same division and out of the 3 games the Jets actually won last year, 2 of them were against the pitiful Dolphins.

Favre really doesn't have anyone besides Coles and Cotchery to throw to. I mean Cotchery has come on these last 2 years but I just don't see him and Coles being enough to put this team anywhere near the playoffs. Maybe this rookie TE Dustin Keller, or veteran TE Bubba Franks who has experience with Favre, can give them a 3rd target, but you just aren't going to get very far with two targets.

They've got a pretty bad O line as well, and I know they picked up Faneca but they've got problems all across that line.

The running game is really the only part of their offense I see as solid. Thomas Jones is a solid starter, and backups Leon Washington and Jesse Chatman are good players. Leon Washington could have a breakout year, and should continue to be a gamebreaker on special teams. Jesse Chatman is a very solid #3 back, and not only did they do well by picking him up this year, but they got him away from the Dolphins, who are in their division.

I heard a Jets writer predict 11-5 and I just had to laugh.

I see 8-8....maybe...

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree but disagree with this. As a lifelong Packers fan (Six Year Texans fan) this has been difficult. I agree with the premise for what Favre has done in the community, and the organization. He has led the team to the Superbowl and won it and lost it. There were several other occasions where his decision making cost the opportunity to get into the Superbowl. Then there are those games where he led the team back from nothing to get into that position.

Favre is a legend and among the top QBs / players all time in the NFL. However no one is bigger than the team or the organization. Especially one with the history of Green Bay. No other team comes close to the 12 NFL championships that Green Bay won. The Superbowl Trophy is named for Lombardi. Favres actions were getting really tiresome for the organization for his temamates and the fans. Even with everything Favre did for the community, has been through as a person there is a limit.

The NFL is a business and as fans we dont always like to see it as such. But think of it in these terms if you told you boss I think I want to retire I am not sure if I want to stick around. No matter how good you were at your job at some point they would get sick of it and tell you to hit the door.

Does it hurt to see Favre in another uniform, yes I feel sick. :headhurts: Will I survive yes. Will the Packers survive yes.

The best thing that could come out of this is the Packers to get to the NFC Championship or the Superbowl. The Jets to make it to the Wild card and get their butts handed to them by the Texans on their way to the Superbowl.

I am all for us kicking some Jet-ass this year! BUT.......

Favre is one of those guys that left it all on the field. He still has a passion for the game. I mean, the guy turned down 20 million just to play FOOTBALL. Business is nowhere in that equation, period. You actually have to drag this guy off of the field. How many players can you say that for? We all love Demeco because of his love for the game. He is tried and true, a football player.

So what that he keeps having his second, third, fourth and fifth thoughts. It would be hard for me to call it quits too. I always think of what it would be like to go back to college or high school and play ball again. Hell, one of the main reason that I dig the Texans and this message board so much is because I can't ever get away from football.

I just think the organization owed him more than what they thought. Sorry for the rant.

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Ask us about Roger Clemens.

More like Nolan Ryan. Clemens wasn't with us all that long.

How many of you guys were pissed by that move?

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM

You really don't know anything about the Jet's roster at all do you? They have two good WR's in Coles and Cotchery. Not great, but definitely good. They have Thomas Jones who can still pound the ball and a way under used RB in Lean Washington who is a HR threat. They enough weapons for Farve to get the offense going. It's just a question of how much will they be able to do? The defense will be the bigger problem on this team, and will the offense be able to carry them? Probably not.

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
You really don't know anything about the Jet's roster at all do you? They have two good WR's in Coles and Cotchery. Not great, but definitely good. They have Thomas Jones who can still pound the ball and a way under used RB in Lean Washington who is a HR threat. They enough weapons for Farve to get the offense going. It's just a question of how much will they be able to do? The defense will be the bigger problem on this team, and will the offense be able to carry them? Probably not.

Their defense isn't all that bad on paper. Gholston and Pace are nice additions to their LB core, and they still have David Harris who wasn't all that bad. Ellis and Jenkins on the d-line. Rhodes, Revis and I forget the other corner's name.

However they were really succeptable on offense because of the running game. I think Jones and Washington combined for like 5 td's on the season. They should do better with all D'Brick, Mangold, Faneca, and Woody. Faneca might turn the line around single-handedly.

Now throw in a proven qb and they might do well. Coaching might be an issue though.

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Their defense isn't all that bad on paper. Gholston and Pace are nice additions to their LB core, and they still have David Harris who wasn't all that bad. Ellis and Jenkins on the d-line. Rhodes, Revis and I forget the other corner's name.

However they were really succeptable on offense because of the running game. I think Jones and Washington combined for like 5 td's on the season. They should do better with all D'Brick, Mangold, Faneca, and Woody. Faneca might turn the line around single-handedly.

Now throw in a proven qb and they might do well. Coaching might be an issue though.

Shaft, I think that they can do fine on offense.

The wild card threat they have is Leon Washington. That guy is a big time play maker that is simply not being used. If they could get him involved this year, they could be really good on offense, because Washington is a Westbrook type of player that can give you nice carries and a lot of screen passes that he can get nice yards on. Plus, he's one of the best KR's in the league. He had 3 last year. It's just a matter if they go out of their way to use the guy. They definitely should.

Now on the D, I'm pretty uninformed to what they have. I know about Revis who is still young, and Gholston. Other than that, I don't know much of what they have.

If they're D was to be a top ten D this year though, I could EASILY see them making it to the playoffs with a wild card. Maybe not, but going 9-7 would not be a stretch at all. It really just depends on the D in my opinion, and how much they decide to utilize Lean Washington, because the guy is a poor man's Westbrook that could really help to open up their offense.

Polo
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
The running game is really the only part of their offense I see as solid. Thomas Jones is a solid starter, and backups Leon Washington and Jesse Chatman are good players. Leon Washington could have a breakout year, and should continue to be a gamebreaker on special teams. Jesse Chatman is a very solid #3 back, and not only did they do well by picking him up this year, but they got him away from the Dolphins, who are in their division.

This snippet alone justifies the statement alone, but I'll elaborate further....

Favre really doesn't have anyone besides Coles and Cotchery to throw to. I mean Cotchery has come on these last 2 years but I just don't see him and Coles being enough to put this team anywhere near the playoffs. Maybe this rookie TE Dustin Keller, or veteran TE Bubba Franks who has experience with Favre, can give them a 3rd target, but you just aren't going to get very far with two targets.

They've got a pretty bad O line as well, and I know they picked up Faneca but they've got problems all across that line.

People were saying the same thing about the Packers recievers...Coles and Crotchery are actually "pretty decent"....

As far as the O-line goes...Remember David Carr ? Remember our O-line with David Carr ?

Jets haven't exactly had a great QB situation up there...

No one expected Green Bay to do as well as they did offensively last year...I don't see the jets as being a whole hell of a lot behind the Packers as far as talent goes....

Besides all that I didn't say the jets had a great offense....I said "pretty decent"....

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
This snippet alone justifies the statement alone, but I'll elaborate further....

I had no idea that they got Jesse Chatman. Between him and Jones, I think they'll have a nice running game. Not great, but pretty good.

Hagar
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Boom! Bam!! You hit the nail on the head Brett. If anyone can do it you can. Pass the turducken!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/madden.jpg

Don't know if you've seen this yet but its pretty good:
The Old Fame (http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/oldflame.htm)

Specnatz
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Screw that..... why is that some in here feel that he should get EVERYTHING he wants & the pack deserve to get next to nothing? I don't get that at all.

* He gets to waffle every year on whether he wants to continue playing & the pack just stand by & wait.

* If they don't want to wait, they should just release him so that he can go to a team of his liking.

* well if you won't release him, trade him..... to a team of his liking, it doesn't matter if its a division rival or not.... it's all about brett furthering his legend.

They didn't "screw" him he gets some of what he wants & they some of what they want. the pack move on get some sort of compensation & get him out of the division & he gets to play again as the unquestioned starter on a fairly young team that won 10 games & were in the playoffs just 2 years ago.

The packers did what any organization would do with a player that there was obviously a market for.

Actually he did not waffle anyother year but this year. In the previous years he waitied until right at training camp to make a decision. Also, one of the years the Pack said publically that he could take as long as he wanted to make the right decision for him. If you continue to give a guy the time makes ya think it was not all his doing, but the teams as well.

Who said the Pack should get nothing? I am ok with them preventing him to goto Min, but to say what the Jets offered was substantially better than what the Bucs offered is insain. I doubt it was better, I honestly believe this was a way for teddy to stick it to Brett for not accepting the $25 mil to walk away and make his job easier.

As far as screwing Brett sure they did he wanted to play for a contender if not with the pack another team. What the pack did is make sure he went to a team in the AFC that in no way can compete with the Colts, Patriots, Chargers or the Jags. Hell I do not think the Jets can compete with the Texans as far as that goes. So yeah they screwed him.

TexanSam
08-07-2008, 12:59 PM
One other reason Favre is going to suck this year. He was on the Madden cover!

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3182742

no, this story says it all.... notice the part about the YAC yardage his WR's racked up last year... who's gonna do that for him in NY?

Texans_Chick
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3182742

no, this story says it all.... notice the part about the YAC yardage his WR's racked up last year... who's gonna do that for him in NY?

Yeah, whatever about McCarthy preaching less Favre in the offense. Dude put up over 4000 passing yards last season.

The biggest issue Favre is going to have is not his abilities. It is whether he can miss so much time in camp and training, and be able to learn a new system. Favre had a really good offseason program last year with Green Bay--probably the most committed he had been in a long time.

Oh, and FanHouse asked me to pitch in on Favre Day. Here's something about the pressures facing Aaron Rodgers:

Aaron Rodgers Is So Screwed (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/07/aaron-rodgers-is-so-screwed/)

Even David Carr didn't have kids rejecting his autograph.

Polo
08-07-2008, 01:09 PM

YAC has a lot to do with the QB

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I am curious guys. Can the Jets trade Farve right now to a team other than Minnesota?

If so, here's a scenario that would get interesting, but would never happen. What if the Chargers made a move for Farve? Farve would be a HUGE upgrade over Rivers, and that team is ready to make a serious move for the SB. I don't know why they weren't trying to make a move like that. Rivers doesn't seem able to take the Chargers over the top.

Polo
08-07-2008, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't risk stunting my QB's growth...

Especially not when they had such a good season last year...

76Texan
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
The Jets lost 7 games by a TD or less last year.
6 of them were close contests until late in the 4th quarter.

It wouldn't surprised me if the Jets make the playoffs this year with a healthy Favre.

Especially when you look at their schedule.

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Actually he did not waffle anyother year but this year. In the previous years he waitied until right at training camp to make a decision. Also, one of the years the Pack said publically that he could take as long as he wanted to make the right decision for him. If you continue to give a guy the time makes ya think it was not all his doing, but the teams as well.

Who said the Pack should get nothing? I am ok with them preventing him to goto Min, but to say what the Jets offered was substantially better than what the Bucs offered is insain. I doubt it was better, I honestly believe this was a way for teddy to stick it to Brett for not accepting the $25 mil to walk away and make his job easier.

As far as screwing Brett sure they did he wanted to play for a contender if not with the pack another team. What the pack did is make sure he went to a team in the AFC that in no way can compete with the Colts, Patriots, Chargers or the Jags. Hell I do not think the Jets can compete with the Texans as far as that goes. So yeah they screwed him.

I hear ya, but it doesn't have to be substantially better, just better. We're all entitled to our opinion but i just think if they really were out to screw him they could've sent him out to any number of teams with terrible situations; & they could've done so not caring what they got back in return just to be rid of him. You think the 49er faithful want another year of watching Alex Smith's inconsistency?

It would've been too easy to screw him like that & if he doesn't approve he reports to camp holding a clipboard or stays retired...

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, whatever about McCarthy preaching less Favre in the offense. Dude put up over 4000 passing yards last season.

The biggest issue Favre is going to have is not his abilities. It is whether he can miss so much time in camp and training, and be able to learn a new system. Favre had a really good offseason program last year with Green Bay--probably the most committed he had been in a long time.

Oh, and FanHouse asked me to pitch in on Favre Day. Here's something about the pressures facing Aaron Rodgers:

Aaron Rodgers Is So Screwed (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/08/07/aaron-rodgers-is-so-screwed/)

Even David Carr didn't have kids rejecting his autograph.

Yeah & over 2000 of his 4000 yards were YAC. again, who's going to do that for him in NY? I'm not saying that He had nothing to do with it, but anybody who watched them any last year could see that his WR corp is 2nd to none. They played a larger role in what he was able to do than anyone gives them credit for.

Polo
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah & over 2000 of his 4000 yards were YAC. again, who's going to do that for him in NY? I'm not saying that He had nothing to do with it, but anybody who watched them any last year could see that his WR corp is 2nd to none. They played a larger role in what he was able to do than anyone gives them credit for.

Well...

Lets see if they do it for Aaron Rodgers....

ChampionTexan
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Really?

I was speaking to a Dolphins fan friend of mine about the trade this morning and he doesn't seem to be too worried. Remember the Jets and Dolphins are in the same division and out of the 3 games the Jets actually won last year, 2 of them were against the pitiful Dolphins.

I heard a Jets writer predict 11-5 and I just had to laugh.

I see 8-8....maybe...

I know predictions are a big big part of pre-season NFL football, and I know at this point, nothing is anything more than opinion anyway, but I'm gonna cop-out and say that it may be more difficult to accurately forecast the Jets season than any other team in the NFL.

This is a team that made the playoffs as a wildcard the year before last (and fwiw, they did it then with little beyond Coles & Cotchery at receiver). Obviously, last year was a different story and then some dropping to 4-12, and probably not playing as well as that record might indicate.

Ignoring the '08 draft, the last two draft classes have included two first round Offensive Linemen (one of them #4 overall), and a first round cornerback. They also went out and picked up the consensus best available offensive linemen in this past season's free agent class (so asking about their OL means you haven't been paying much attention). In general, they were more active in free agency than the vast majority of NFL teams. Now they've added Favre. Not only is there a discussion about how well/quickly he'll learn the offense, not only is there a question about how the chemistry will work (particularly with his WR's), but there's a pretty fair amount of disagreement about just how good he really is at this point in his career.

Draft picks don't always give you an accurate idea in the first year or two of how they will truly pan out. Free agents can fit in and make a huge positive difference, or they can simply not work in a different system, and actually set the team back. This probably applies even more to high profile FA's. And of course the most important position on the team has the biggest questions of them all when you're talking about the Jets.

I'd be pretty surprised if the Jets didn't improve, but I would have said that two weeks ago before anyone could imagine Favre going there. With so many moving pieces, that improvement could take them to the playoffs, or take them to a 50% increase in wins and a 6-10 record. I think Favre probably raises the ceiling of what's realistic, but the floor probably stays the about where it would have been with Pennington or Clemens as the starter.

From my standpoint, I'll pass on a prediction since being right would entail nothing more than luck anyway.

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Well...

Lets see if they do it for Aaron Rodgers....

They were already doing it for him when he played in the dallas game for like 2 quarters... dude completed like 10 passes in a row in route to 201 pass yards.

kastofsna
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
hooray

The Pencil Neck
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Actually, not making a decision until training camp is waffling to me. Several years in a row of not knowing if this guy was coming back or not and then this year finally making a decision and then not sticking to it ... that's rilly, rilly bad. That's a huge black mark on this guy's character for me.

Now, if you do it once. OK. But for 3-4 years running? To me, that screams of a guy playing mind-games, a guy that's wanting his ego stroked, a guy that's trying to take his name and use it to make the front office do things he wants done. I think a large part of this was just vindictiveness over the Randy Moss thing and to me that's inexcusable.

The guy is a legend and that gives him some leeway. But that leeway is like money in a bank. And to me, he used up all that money and went into debt. To you, he's obviously still got some money in the bank.

Texecutioner
08-07-2008, 02:01 PM

Their WR core is 2nd to none? What? No one even expected their WR's to be that good last year. No one even expected the entire GB offense to be any good last year. Farve had a hell of a year, and throughout his entire career he's had different WR's and played well with a lot of them.

Jennings and Driver were good, but I wouldn't even put them in the top 5 of the league.

You keep talking about the Jets not having anyone, but Cotchery and Coles are a really good duo. Neither one is great, but they are both really good and I'd take them two as a duo with a QB who is coming off of a runner up to MVP season any day of the week. If their running game is good, then their passing game will be really good as well.

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 02:02 PM
I don't see why so many of you guys are knocking Brett so hard. The guy is one of the best to ever play the game. He sorely missed it and decided to come back. Who cares if the guy waffled or not? He came back BEFORE training camp.

Texan_Bill
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't see why so many of you guys are knocking Brett so hard. The guy is one of the best to ever play the game. He sorely missed it and decided to come back. Who cares if the guy waffled or not? He came back BEFORE training camp.

Me thinks there's more to the story behind closed doors.

Shaft75
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM

not you too Bill! A country boy that hadn't missed a game in 16 years. I thought you would identify...

ChampionTexan
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM

Well, since Cotchery had more YAC yardage in '07 than anyone on the Packers, that might be a good start.

Koolaid Time
08-07-2008, 02:19 PM

ALLEN CLAIMS THERE WERE “NO NEGOTIATIONS” FOR FAVRE

Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2008, 12:30 p.m. UTC

In his first comments regarding the reported efforts of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to trade for quarterback Brett Favre, G.M. Bruce Allen paints a picture that suggests the discussions between the Bucs and Packers didn’t get very far at all.

“There were no negotiations,” Allen said, via Pewter Report. “There was never any substance or talk about what it would take for [the Packers] to trade him. All of that was speculation. In the beginning, I think it was clear that it was a bad situation in Green Bay and they had to deal with it in any way they could.”

Allen also said that there were no conversations about compensation, and that no trade offer was ever made.

In all, Allen paints a picture that doesn’t make much sense. He doesn’t deny that coach Jon Gruden talked to Favre, but Allen claims that 18 teams had permission to speak with him. Allen also characterized the public statements of Bus Cook and/or Favre linking Favre to the Bucs were only the result of Favre’s desire to play for the Bucs.

Pressed on why the team didn’t simply say unequivocally that Garcia would be the starter for the 2008 season, Allen pointed to comments “over the last year or two years” of coach Jon Gruden.

But Allen overlooked comments from Gruden of only a day ago, which strongly hinted that something was up.

Said Gruden on Wednesday, when asked about Favre: “We are a good football team and we’re trying to become a great one. We’ll do anything we can to get better, and if that involves looking at other players – by George, that’s our job. That’s our responsibility. . . . There’s been a lot of speculation. I could go on and on and on. That’s part of the media’s job to create conversation and report the facts that they have. Out of respect to everybody, I’m not the most informed source at this point time. I’ve got a lot of respect for the situation, therefore I’m going to be very reluctant to say much because I don’t want to have to repeat myself tomorrow and change my story.”

If Allen is telling the truth, it would have been a lot easier for Gruden to say, “We’re not pursuing Brett Favre. Jeff Garcia is our starting quarterback.”

That said, we can’t blame Allen for massaging reality. They didn’t get Favre, and now they have to move on. Talking about the one that got away won’t make that happen any more quickly.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/07/allen-claims-there-were-no-negotiations-for-favre/

Hervoyel
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
What the pack did is make sure he went to a team in the AFC that in no way can compete with the Colts, Patriots, Chargers or the Jags. Hell I do not think the Jets can compete with the Texans as far as that goes. So yeah they screwed him.

And yet the Texans are 0-3 all time against the Jets.

But back to the topic at hand...

I think the Jets have made some moves, feel they will pay off, and think they're going to get enough of a push out of Favre that they'll make the playoffs, take some of the heat off themselves, and get a little more time to make it all right.

I think they're wrong. I think the transition will not be smooth and that the team will look pretty inept offensively this year. I don't care who they have or how underrated their WR's are and if Thomas Jones is slightly above average. I suspect that Brett Favre is going to hate everything about New York when he gets there. He's going to hate not knowing the facilities inside and out, not knowing his teammates well, and he's going to hate not having all the little things that make a place your home (professionally speaking in this case). He's going to camp and he's going to have to hit the ground running and it will be new terminology and new teammates and he is not going to be Brett Favre "in his groove" for a good portion of the season (if he ever reaches that point there).

Look at how hard it is for him to change his life and retire. This is not a man who adapts to change easily. Football will not be what he has grown to expect it to be and he's going to have a really hard time with that.

Double Barrel
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
I think playing for the Jets is going to be a bit let down for both Favre and New York. His best chance to win this season was the Packers, and that was obviously a bridge burned many moons ago.

The Madden curse is now primed for fulfillment.

WWJD
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Oh I think he'll do fine. He's probably been to NY dozens of times and I would imagine he knows most of the guys on the Jets anyway...he's been in the league forever.

He's maybe the most competitive guy in the NFL and this will just feed that nature of his.

He always seems to have so much fun playing. I don't think that will change.

infantrycak
08-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah & over 2000 of his 4000 yards were YAC. again, who's going to do that for him in NY?

FYI

YAC

Donald Driver 438 yds out of 1048 yds in 2007
Jerricho Cotchery 444 yds out of 1130 yds in 2007

Interesting trivia:

And here's a little factoid to wrap your fantasy brain around: Since 1970, only eight quarterbacks have played a game in their 18th season. Seven of those quarterbacks were starters, and none of them performed well.

In fact, Fran Tarkenton (1978) and Vinny Testaverde (2004) were the lone quarterbacks to throw for more than 1,200 yards in that 18th season.

Tarkenton threw for 3,468 yards with Minnesota, while Testaverde totaled 3,532 yards with Dallas. Tarkenton and Testaverde also combined to throw for 42 touchdowns and 52 interceptions. The third-best performance from a quarterback in his 18th season was Sonny Jurgensen, who finished with 1,185 passing yards for Washington in 1974.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d809cfa75&template=with-video&confirm=true)

Mr teX
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Their WR core is 2nd to none? What? No one even expected their WR's to be that good last year. No one even expected the entire GB offense to be any good last year. Farve had a hell of a year, and throughout his entire career he's had different WR's and played well with a lot of them.

Jennings and Driver were good, but I wouldn't even put them in the top 5 of the league.

You keep talking about the Jets not having anyone, but Cotchery and Coles are a really good duo. Neither one is great, but they are both really good and I'd take them two as a duo with a QB who is coming off of a runner up to MVP season any day of the week. If their running game is good, then their passing game will be really good as well. Coles & Cotchery are good but they don't present the problems that duo does.

Those two can hang with any of your top 5, whomever they are. as the article says though, they don't get the credit they're due largely b/c everyone thinks it all brett favre, much like how it is in Indy. & it's not just Driver & Jennings. James Jones is another burner with the same capabilities as the other 2 who also put up stellar stats as a 3rd option. You add in Jordy Nelson & that's a ridiculous amount of talent on the outside.