PDA

View Full Version : Matt Jones Arrested/Cut from Jaguars

HoustonFrog
07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Good to hear bad news for the Jags. Though, him being in a game isn't bad since he sux.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3481361

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Fayetteville police say Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones was arrested early Thursday on a felony drug charge after officers found him in a parked car, cutting up what was suspected to be cocaine.

A police report said officers approached the car and found Jones inside, using a credit card to chop up a white substance. Police said an officer drew his handgun after Jones did not immediately show his hands.

Police said they found a jar with possible marijuana residue inside the car and a plastic bag of what was likely cocaine. Officers say Jones admitted he had cocaine.

According to the Florida Times-Union of Jacksonville, police said 6 grams of the white substance later tested positive for cocaine.

Police say two others inside the car, Jared Hicks and Benjamin Cook, were also arrested on misdemeanor drug charges.

Jones, who is 25, was being held in the Washington County Detention Center on Thursday pending a court hearing, said Kelly Cantrell, a spokeswoman for the county's sheriff's office, according to the report.

Jones, who has spent all three of his NFL seasons with the Jaguars, was a quarterback at the University of Arkansas, which is in Fayetteville. Last season in Jacksonville, he caught 24 paasses for 317 yards and four touchdowns.

HOU-TEX
07-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I think this might be the end of his tenure in J-Ville. Too bad, cuz he always gives the opposing team chances at tip drill picks. :cool:

Specnatz
07-10-2008, 11:18 AM
I think this might be the end of his tenure in J-Ville. Too bad, cuz he always gives the opposing team chances at tip drill picks. :cool:

As soon as he gets bail he needs to head immediately to the unemployment office.

Jones: Yes well I know I am technically notunemplyed but I will be by the time the paper work goes through.

Unemployment office clerk: Mr Jones it could be said you have been drawing welfare checks the last three years with how you have performed on the field.

Ole Miss Texan
07-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Yowza! I don't know how big of loss this really is for the Jags but it definitely doesn't HELP them! Too bad it's the one team in our division we CAN beat.

HOU-TEX
07-10-2008, 11:24 AM
As soon as he gets bail he needs to head immediately to the unemployment office.

Jones: Yes well I know I am technically notunemplyed but I will be by the time the paper work goes through.

Unemployment office clerk: Mr Jones it could be said you have been drawing welfare checks the last three years with how you have performed on the field.

Very nice! Very true! LOL

PapaL
07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Buh bye NFL, Hello Vick cell mate.

With that dope I would have guessed he was a Cowboy.

chicagotexan2
07-10-2008, 11:43 AM
He does seem to look really wide-eyed when the grounds crew lays down the lines on the field. Loser loser loser.

Overalls
07-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I don't guess I will ever understand why they do it. I know they are young with alot of money but dang. As much as I loved my weed back in the day I gave it up when I grew up. I work for the government now and when I started out for them I was making $7.69 an hour and still didn't want to lose the job over it. I can't imagine throwing away a job making millions over it.

HoustonFrog
07-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't guess I will ever understand why they do it. I know they are young with alot of money but dang. As much as I loved my weed back in the day I gave it up when I grew up. I work for the government now and when I started out for them I was making $7.69 an hour and still didn't want to lose the job over it. I can't imagine throwing away a job making millions over it.

Here is what I'll never get...Len Bias.

Whether you believe Bias did it once or was a user makes no difference. It does show that the stuff can kill quickly though. Go drink a beer, pass out and wake up. Don't sniff the nose candy. Unreal.

Porky
07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Maybe he wanted to run his pass routes faster. :thinking:

Carr Bombed
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM

He might want to do that after he heads to the Bank, calls his credit card companies, goes to the Social Security office, and the DPS to secure all his personal information and accounts.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/jonesarrest.pdf

The police just slapped his home adress, D.L. #, and even his social security # all over the internet.... His house has probably already been robbed since everybody knows where he is at.

nunusguy
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Another workout warrior who busted.

Porky
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
He might want to do that after he heads to the Bank, calls his credit card companies, goes to the Social Security office, and the DPS to secure all his personal information and accounts.

The police just slapped his home adress, D.L. #, and even his social security # all over the internet.... His house has probably already been robbed since everybody knows where he is at.

His phone number too. Ouch! I can't believe all that was made public.

Anyone want to prank call him and pretend to be Mr. Rogers. You can snort with a straw, sure you can. Go ahead, you can do it. We'll watch you while I put on my sweater.

Blazing Arrow
07-10-2008, 01:37 PM

But I am confused ... On Jaguars.com this guy was the man. Going to tear up the seen with his mad ball skills. :spit:

Specnatz
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM

Ya think his lawyer might have a field day with this one. Talk about a slam dunk civil lawsuit, because once you have his social security number you can just wait and steal his idenity later.

Texan_Bill
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Ya think his lawyer might have a field day with this one. Talk about a slam dunk civil lawsuit, because once you have his social security number you can just wait and steal his idenity later.

Arrest records are public information.

Specnatz
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Arrest records are public information.

Including SS#?

texasguy346
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
The guy was probably already on his way out of Jacksonville before this arrest. This certainly makes his release come that much quicker. I don't see this having much of an effect on the Jaguars because Jones really never brought anything worthwhile to the table. I do wonder how long he's been doing cocaine because I'm pretty sure they test for it in the NFL. If he has been doing it for awhile I'd be curious to know how he's not failed a drug test.

Brando
07-10-2008, 01:58 PM
His mug shot....

link (http://www.co.washington.ar.us/sheriff/summary/Detainee.asp?bn=4077909)

Stupid....I would love to play in the NFL.......

Texan_Bill
07-10-2008, 02:03 PM
Including SS#?

I'm pretty sure...... whatever forms are involved in a persons arrest - are public information. The person that posted the records could have had the decency to black-out pertinent information... Even if they had though, you could use the FOI Act to gain access to the documents - I beleive.

Specnatz
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure...... whatever forms are involved in a persons arrest - are public information. The person that posted the records could have had the decency to black-out pertinent information... Even if they had though, you could use the FOI Act to gain access to the documents - I beleive.

OK that I understand but then they would have a record of who got the information. This way if someone wanted to steal his idenity, they just made it a whole lot easier.

HoustonFrog
07-10-2008, 03:11 PM
His mug shot....

link (http://www.co.washington.ar.us/sheriff/summary/Detainee.asp?bn=4077909)

Stupid....I would love to play in the NFL.......

Boggs from Shawshank

Texan_Bill
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Boggs from Shawshank

LMAO!! I can see that.

Brando
07-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Boggs from Shawshank

lol he does resemble Boggs! Maybe we should have a Jag look a like in the Rivalry section.:thinking:

The1ApplePie
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM

New up:

Vernon Davis

Of course out of that draft, with Mario and Cromartie being All-Stars, one of the combine warriors had to be a bust

awtysst
07-10-2008, 09:58 PM

I disagree with that statement. Almost nobody had Jones as higher than a low second rounder. I had him in the third with most other respected draft guys. The Jags majorly reached on him and put him in WAY to early. He should have been brought along slowly and carefully. Not thrown to the wolves right away. Plus he played like a 3rd rounder which was where he should have been drafted. Blame the Jags for not developing him. Remember he was a QB in college transitioning to WR.

awtysst
07-10-2008, 10:02 PM
New up:

Vernon Davis

Of course out of that draft, with Mario and Cromartie being All-Stars, one of the combine warriors had to be a bust

Wait on that one. He was injured his rookie year and the 9ers didnt scheme a plan to actually use his talent. Lets see if they wised up.

Blazing Arrow
07-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Davis wil be good as long as he is not forced to play under Carrx2

texasguy346
07-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Wait on that one. He was injured his rookie year and the 9ers didnt scheme a plan to actually use his talent. Lets see if they wised up.

Vernon Davis doesn't seem to have much going on upstairs in what little I've seen of him. He's a physical freak no doubt, but I'm not sure he ever had a grasp on the playbook. I watched him when I could last year as he was on one of my fantasy teams. I don't think he'll ever live up to the spot where he was picked, but he is under Martz now & he certainly should see a ton of balls this year if he can remain healthy. Maybe he'll be able to realize some of the potential the 49ers saw in him.

HoustonFrog
07-11-2008, 08:48 AM

I wish they would. i've had him as a backup TE two years running in fantasy and was hoping he would be #1. The thing I never got was SF wasn't good and had a young QB so why wasn't dumping it off to him to supplement the running game with Gore a good strategy?

Specnatz
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Davis wil be good as long as he is not forced to play under Carrx2

Or another VY/Vick.

Wolf
10-13-2008, 11:13 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=At_l8.wo5v5auTgW8H4sWTBDubYF?slug=ap-jaguars-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (AP)—With a smattering of applause, a judge Monday accepted Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones into a drug treatment program that could erase a felony cocaine charge against the former Arkansas star.

The former Razorbacks quarterback must participate in NFL-sponsored substance-abuse counseling and random drug testing through the end of the football season, then return to Fayetteville to complete the intervention program, Judge Mary Ann Gunn said.

Jones could still face suspension by the NFL under its policies. The league said in a brief statement that Jones’ case was being reviewed and it had no timetable for when its investigation would be complete.

Gunn, who presides over the Washington County Drug Court, said Jones could be bounced from the program if he fails a drug test or misses a counseling session. Jones said in court that he was “very committed” to completing the program and said he had passed random NFL-administered drug tests since his July 10 arrest.

The quarterback-turned-wide receiver stood with his parents in Gunn’s courtroom, which was filled with drug offenders and treatment program graduates. He said he wanted to enter Gunn’s program because “I want to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“Then, let’s welcome Matt Jones,” Gunn said, drawing applause from the courtroom.

texasguy346
03-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Looks like he did it again.

Per Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=141024):
Matt Jones was arrested in Washington County, Arkansas Monday for possession of a controlled substance.
The arrest happened at 6:21PM Monday. This comes less than a year after Jones was charged with felony cocaine possession in the same county. The "controlled substance" this time isn't known, but last July's arrest resulted in a three-game suspension. He could be facing at least an eight-game ban after the latest arrest, whether the charges are dismissed or not.

link (http://www.co.washington.ar.us/sheriff/summary/Detainee.asp?bn=4087931)

TexansMVP
03-09-2009, 08:13 PM

Dang...now the Jags really need a WR more than ever lol.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2009, 12:50 AM

Per Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=141024):

No freaking way, what a moron.

With the signing of Tra Thomas and now this, Jacksonville is now a lock to draft a WR. Get ready to play against Michael Crabtree (if teams let him slip due to his surgically repaired foot) or Jeremy Maclin (who I kinda wanted Houston to take at 15) twice a season.

False Start
03-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Damn, to fail a drug test for alcohol you have to have done some serious drinking. What a dumb ass. :mcnugget:

Specnatz
03-10-2009, 12:56 AM
No freaking way, what a moron.

With the signing of Tra Thomas and now this, Jacksonville is now a lock to draft a WR. Get ready to play against Michael Crabtree (if teams let him slip due to his surgically repaired foot) or Jeremy Maclin (who I kinda wanted Houston to take at 15) twice a season.

yeah ok? They still have a qb who has a weaker arm than most.

Carr Bombed
03-10-2009, 01:23 AM
yeah ok? They still have a qb who has a weaker arm than most.

Garrard has a decent arm, he's not Chad Pennington. He's got a adequate arm, but had a crappy Oline this season (which killed the running game...which killed his passing success of the season before) and WRs who couldn't get seperation and just plain sucked.

Dapper
03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Mmmmmmmm...let me see here. Millions of dollars playing a game or.............white powder to stuff up my nose? What an *****. I would have paid someone 150,000.00 a year to keep me away from that shit and protect me!!! Dude deserves what he gets. Should be banned from the NFL for at least 2 years.

TimeKiller
03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I don't understand, as someone who likes to do some drinkin', how you could possibly drink to the point of failing a drug test. I mean really. It's only one day, I know the Jags are woeful but you'll make it one day without the sauce.

nunusguy
03-11-2009, 10:07 AM
I dunno but I'm thinkin probably another NFL guy who didn't major in
nuclear physics in college.

nunusguy
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived receiver Matt Jones on Monday, parting ways with the former first-round draft pick just days after his latest arrest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3984684

TexansSeminole
03-16-2009, 04:18 PM
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars waived receiver Matt Jones on Monday, parting ways with the former first-round draft pick just days after his latest arrest.

Quote from the story:
Jones' departure leaves Jacksonville with huge holes at the receiver position. The Jaguars released Jerry Porter last month and opted not to re-sign free agent Reggie Williams.

That basically leaves third-year pro Mike Walker and veteran Dennis Northcutt.

Only Mike Walker and Dennis Northcutt. Northcutt is basically their #1 right now. Maybe they pick up a Jeremy Maclin or even Michael Crabtree early in this year's draft, but your basically asking him to be your #1 from day 1. Very interesting situation there in Jacksonville.

mattieuk
03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Quote from the story:

Only Mike Walker and Dennis Northcutt. Northcutt is basically their #1 right now. Maybe they pick up a Jeremy Maclin or even Michael Crabtree early in this year's draft, but your basically asking him to be your #1 from day 1. Very interesting situation there in Jacksonville.

Very true. I understand their decision to get rid of Jones, but it really does leave them up shit creek.

Always thought he was a damn good football player and athlete, its a pity he is just a lazy kid to go alongside it.

The Pencil Neck
03-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Very true. I understand their decision to get rid of Jones, but it really does leave them up shit creek.

Always thought he was a damn good football player and athlete, its a pity he is just a lazy kid to go alongside it.

Lotta talent.

Brains? Not so much.

4Texans
03-16-2009, 05:10 PM

UFL Candidate, if he's not in jail.

TimeKiller
03-16-2009, 08:05 PM
I say sign him up.