PDA

View Full Version : ESPN article on Amobi

Hooston Texan
07-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Pretty good read, even if it does involve Osi Umenyiora doing something that is not completely wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=wickersham_seth&id=3472133

Sal Rosenberg
07-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Great Read!!!

Hardcore Texan
07-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Amobi is exactly the kind of players we need on the team, talented, very smart with a lot of class. It's scary how much upside this guy has given how young he is.....scary for the competition that is, great for us and the Texans!!!

:texflag:

GuerillaBlack
07-03-2008, 11:38 PM
That was a pretty good article. Can't wait!

:fans:

Thorn
07-04-2008, 12:15 AM
As time goes on, we are going to have one heck of a defensive line.

One to remember in the highlight films.

beerlover
07-04-2008, 01:45 AM
thats just scratching the surface, clearly he is in a class all by himself.

awtysst
07-04-2008, 02:49 AM
As time goes on, we are going to have one heck of a defensive line.

One to remember in the highlight films.

The key will be to structure contracts so we can keep them.

Sideline
07-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Really great read, its so refreshing to see players like Amobi with class and a good head on them, especially at the moment when it seems every week we see another player around the league getting arrested.

Dancerdog
07-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Nice article. Well written. Very complimentary.

I believe the additiion of Rosevelt Colvin will have a big impact on Amobe's play this season. I see a breakout season for Amobe with opposing offenses not being able to tee off on Mario and him. Mario is gonna be a monster. Frank Okam is still an unknown quantity. He has the tools, but will he have the mindset to succeed in the NFL. I hear he has already lost about 25 pounds and is working hard. Having a BIG man like him in the middle could prove very disruptive to opposing team's run game. Here's to the start of a new season. Can't wait for the TC battles to begin.

JayCee
07-04-2008, 08:07 AM
yes i've had a few to drink before posting this but man i love the players we've drafted/signed over the past couple of years - just all class.

Love this team.

Go Texans.

I'm off to bed.

nunusguy
07-04-2008, 08:35 AM
"Three teammates rapped "Happy Birthday" at Okoye's party: running back Darius Walker, linebacker Zac Diles, and offensive tackle Brandond Frye. How often is the hotshot millionaire rookie so down-to-earth that the practice squad guys want to sing for him?"
Good story, except Zac Diles might take exception to being labeled one of the "practice squad guys".
But good find. Thanks !

76Texan
07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
LOL, that was a good story!:spit:

nero THE zero
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Okoye not only picked up the tab for his birthday party but also bought his teammates drinks a few hours earlier at a Texans bowling outing. This is coming off a rookie year in which he once dropped $5,000 on dinner with the defensive linemen. "My wallet was crying," Okoye said. Safe to say his teammates will owe him a few rounds. Like until 2009.

It's interesting that they are still doing the bowling thing in the offseason. I remember last season that was something they were doing as a sort of bonding experience.

I wonder if this is indicative of the chemistry of the team as a whole or just a core group of players. I understand that it is nearly impossible for over fifty guys to be close to each other, but I wonder how common something like this is around the league.

barrett
07-04-2008, 02:55 PM
not to perpetuate the "youth" thing but it is pretty great that even at his age he's organized a foundation and a trip to nigeria. he's also sacked some quarterbacks "and he's only 21!".

Brando
07-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Okoye's goal was to be football's LeBron James.

Let's hope he reaches his goal!:fans:

He is one of my favorites.......

whiskeyrbl
07-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Amobi is a cool guy. My wife and I got to talk to him at the All access event. And I took a great picture of my wife with him. It is now an 11x13 on our sports wall. Right next to our picture with Demeco.

False Start
07-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Cool piece, thanks for the link .

Texans_Chick
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
I look forward to when Amobi gets articles written about him for his performance on the field, rather than his age.

It's just an extension of the 'fluff' and 'heartwarming' pieces they kept showing when he was drafted.

Theres more to him than his age... say like his ridiculous ability to get to the QB from an interior lineman...

Wickersham also is the guy responsible for the ESPN cover article of Mario Williams saying he wasn't concerned about being a bust, and then proceeded to focus on all the biggest busts of sports history.

I talk a little something something on this article at FanHouse (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/07/07/amobi-okoye-celebrates-his-21st-birthday-responsibly-this-blogg/), including pictures of his birthday party.

Texecutioner
07-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll be the first one to admit that I hated the Omobi Okoye pick when it was made. However, I was prove3nwrong and I am very excited to have this guy on our team. He has so much upside and had a really good rookie season. He's a great guy that we don't have to worry about getting arrested multiple times and all as well.

JWarren14
07-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I talk a little something something on this article at FanHouse (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/07/07/amobi-okoye-celebrates-his-21st-birthday-responsibly-this-blogg/), including pictures of his birthday party.

It was nice to see Studdard with a) his shirt on and b) sandwiched between 2 attractive young ladies. Amobi's Party > VY's Party

ObsiWan
07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Wickersham also is the guy responsible for the ESPN cover article of Mario Williams saying he wasn't concerned about being a bust, and then proceeded to focus on all the biggest busts of sports history.

Isn't he also the guy that, a couple of years back, wrote that sob story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931784) about David Carr's "ambition" to take Jake Delhomme's job in Carolina?

Delhomme knows he's vulner-able, having thrown only 17 touchdowns for what should have been a Super Bowl contender last year. If he contributes to a similar slide this year, it's easy to see Carr coming in, like Tony Romo (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6624), and rescuing a static group of underachievers. That may seem a distant prospect right now, but it's not to Carr. When practice ends and Carr stays behind to get in extra reps, it's a clear sign of his ambition.

Texans_Chick
07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
It was nice to see Studdard with a) his shirt on and b) sandwiched between 2 attractive young ladies. Amobi's Party > VY's Party

LOL. I was wondering if someone was going to comment on that.

False Start
07-07-2008, 05:26 PM

Good stuff TC ! Thanks .:cool:

NBT
07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks Steff, that was pretty neat on Amobi's birthday, to say nothing of the chicks.