PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

Pages : [1] 2

ATXan
06-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:

TexanSam
06-26-2008, 04:02 PM
I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see some type of official word.

Silver Oak
06-26-2008, 04:03 PM
I hope it's not true.

He hasn't shown much in the NFL on the field. I hope Smith takes a pass on him myself.

ObsiWan
06-26-2008, 04:04 PM
I'll take it with a grain of salt until I see some type of official word.

What he said.
I don't see it. Got more RBs than we'll be able to keep in Sept. as it is.

Toro59
06-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Not the type of character Smith would sign. He's a little smarter that that... Hopefully

Tailgate
06-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I will believe it when I see it. If it does go down... I have all the trust in the world in Rick Smith and our negotiators. We do have 2 running backs in Ahman Green and Chris Brown who haven't been able to stay on the field recently. I guess if the price is right (see Rick Smith comment above), it couldnt hurt to have him for insurance. But again, probably wont happen.

beerlover
06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
lets just suppose it is true, how does he fit under the cap? would that be the end of Green? Benson, Brown & Slayton none of which has played a down as a Texan, would Rick & Kubiak shake things up that much? :thisbig:

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:13 PM
I know I never post here but I have some info I think some people would like to know. Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today. He was talking about the teams that he is talking with and the one that is closest to reaching a deal is Houston Texans. So what do you think.:thisbig:

Hmmm.

On one hand, the Texans don't like * for brains. Especially ones who have rumors about them about being a bighead that doesn't work hard.

On the other hand, the Texans

coaches are friends with people on the UT staff so can talk about him some,

the current Texans running back group doesn't blow your doors off,

Smith has said that he likes good character guys but is also willing to give people second chances.

Smith likes to throw players at positions of weakness and see if they can become positions of strength.

Benson I am guessing would like to be in some more familiar environs.

Interesting rumor.

TexanSam
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Heck, if the Texans sign him they should let him get drunk before the games. He can't run worth a damn sober. Maybe he can hit the holes faster after a few beers!

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

drewmar74
06-26-2008, 04:16 PM
I think it sucks. I'd rather go to camp with the retreads that we have now than add Benson.

He's never impressed me. So said, here are some snippets from an nice piece regarding Benson that I found yesterday on the Fox Sports website.

http://chi.scout.com/2/764573.html

Benson made the offense way too predictable most of last season
Cedric Benson was always a poor blocker in pass protection and an even worse receiver out of the backfield, which forced offensive coordinator Ron Turner to use Adrian Peterson in obvious passing situations. As a result, enemy defenses knew exactly what to expect based on the personnel in the Chicago backfield. If Benson was in the game, more often that not he was going to get the ball; if Peterson was in the game, more often than not it was going to be a pass.

:mcnugget:

Don't care for that. I think that we're finally at a point where the ZBS will help mitigate our opponents abilities to read what we're doing. Last thing we need is something that will show our hand.

Fellow first-round flop Michael Haynes was asked about Benson recently by the Chicago Sun-Times, and he did not pull many punches on the subject. Haynes said that Benson was lazy with his workout regimen, not a hard worker in practice, and used to being coddled by his coaches, which instantly put him at odds with the majority of his teammates in the locker room Ė the 36-day contract holdout that caused him to miss all of training camp his rookie year didn't help either. In hindsight, trading Thomas Jones to the Jets, fresh off back-to-back 1,200-yard seasons on the ground, seems ludicrous since Benson did almost nothing to earn the starting job.

Ummmmmm...... sounds great. :sarcasm:

Most of the players have said all the right things when asked about Benson both before and after he was waived by the organization. But if you take a minute to read between the lines, it's not hard to figure out that he was never very popular amongst his teammates and did little to endear himself to the Windy City community. Whether he was boasting about how fast he would leapfrog Jones on the depth chart, leaving the sideline early during a preseason game, or getting arrested back in Texas on two alcohol-related charges

So, we might sign an underperforming, lazy RB who lacks motivation and can't start his car without blowing into a breathalyzer first? Hard for me to get fired up about that.

ATXtexanfan
06-26-2008, 04:23 PM
does this mean there goona bring in VY also, can't help but wonder how good he would have at texas with out VY. i hope this isn't true. hell, the cowboys haven't even signed him.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I'm sure that a guy with two recent alcohol-related arrests, who is proven to be lazy, and doesn't have the kind of burst that fits the ZBS is about to sign with the Houston Texans. Sorry, but I have to call BS here.

I think at this point, we are supposed to talk about beggars and choosers.

Signed,
Ron Dayne, Sam Gado, that ex-Raider RB whose name I forget how to spell

It would be a minor surprise to me, but not a major one if it happened.

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.

Toro59
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
It really is a slow news day

Hardcore Texan
06-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I have a hard time believing this could be true. I will just take the believe it when I see it approach.

I don't like the character issues he has stacking up for sure, and we know the FO doesn't dig it, so Cedric has got some 'splaining to do to sell this one.

06-26-2008, 04:36 PM

don't buy it, sorry

rmartin65
06-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Nay, Nay, I thousand times NAY! I am not impressed with him, on and off the field.

Showtime100
06-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Did Toro get fired?

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:44 PM
There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit (http://www.newsday.com/topic/cs-10-haugh-chicagojun10,0,5073833.story)

Cornwell and Benson's agent, Eugene Parker, now have the task of finding employment for a running back coming off ankle surgery, two alcohol-related arrests and enough baggage to need a valet. Somebody will sign Benson, whether it's the familiar Houston Texans or the halfway home for troubled millionaires known as the Dallas Cowboys. First-round draft picks always get second, and sometimes third chances in the NFL.

He simply ran out of chances in Chicago, and the Bears ran out of patience.

They will miss him like a migraine headache. Even before the arrests, Benson was no lock to make the roster. His failure forced the team to draft another running back, Matt Forte, in the second round to replace him. Adrian Peterson can provide a serviceable effort as Forte's backup. Garrett Wolfe needs to progress.

If the Bears find a suitable veteran off an NFL scrap heap and want to take a look, great. If not, it's not like a backup running back is going to make a difference between 7-9 and 5-11.

In the end, that's all Benson was: a backup running back. He wasn't built like one or paid like one, but he ran like one.

That makes him arguably the biggest draft bust in Bears history, a Texas-sized miscalculation bigger than any other the franchise has made.

The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.

Texanmike02
06-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Bring him into camp on an incentive laden deal. Evaluate his attitude and work ethic etc. for yourself. We have two fragile every down backs (does that make them every other down backs that combine to an every down back?) and two 3rd down backs.

Don't give him a chance but make him earn it. He's still a kid and may have been humbled. So long as the contract is performance based, cut him the minute he starts pulling stupid shit. If we had a ground game we could count on this is a much different team. I'm not saying hes a franchise back. I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying sometimes talent is burried under layers and layers of ego. You don't bring a guy like him in on his terms, you do it on yours. I think it would be worth a shot as long as he has come to the realization that he's not the man here.

Mike

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Signed,

Smith said some interesting things during the draft process about character and wanting to find out the real situations with players. Ankle bracelet guys are typically not who Smith targets, but you never know what sort of looksee Smith might want to take for a position where you hope that Alex Gibbs can fix through what he does on the line.

He's not my choice, but then again, the Chicago situation with their offense was a bit of a cluster. Hard to say exactly what you are getting with Benson.

I don't think we're beggars so much anymore... and there are guys out there who are better fits, have better character, and who aren't lazy. If we wanted one of them, we'd sign him.

J-Russ
06-26-2008, 04:46 PM

I think its 100% fake, and that you just fabricated the story.

I doubt many people will believe, one, because you didn't give enough info.

Two, because ESPN, Rotoworld, PFT, and the Chron haven't even reported that we've been in talks with Benson.

And three, I mostly don't believe the post because of that childish, immature looking smiley at the end of your post. It totally made your words reek of fakeness.

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 04:48 PM
There are some who believe that the Benson-Bears fit was bad from the start. That they started off wrong and it was a bad situation. There's some who believe that not only that he was immature, but he was also homesick.

See e.g.:

Cedric Benson, Bears never a good fit (http://www.newsday.com/topic/cs-10-haugh-chicagojun10,0,5073833.story)

The Texans would be a good place for Benson to get a new start. Familiar, no dominant running back, a nice offensive system, QB is not an issue, Kubiak is good at getting well paid guys into become more team guys, to prepare like professionals.

Whether the Texans think he has anything to offer and is worth the project, is a different question.

If he was homesick - that's not the kind of guy I want on my team. I don't want babies who need to be close to mommy. I want football players who don't let stuff like affect their play.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:49 PM
I think its 100% fake, and that you just fabricated the story.

I doubt many people will believe, one, because you didn't give enough info.

Two, because ESPN, Rotoworld, PFT, and the Chron haven't even reported that we've been in talks with Benson.

And three, I mostly don't believe the post because of that childish, immature looking smiley at the end of your post. It totally made your words reek of fakeness.

To be fair, the Texans tend to keep things pretty quiet until they don't want them to be quiet. They are very good at doing that, especially now that Casserly is gone.

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, the last poster who I accused of making up a post was the guy who told us that Jacoby Jones was arrested for DUI several hours before it was official. Heh, you never know. TC's right, it's not like they would be advertising this.

But it would be a HUGE diversion from their character policy... and I get that they could give him a second chance - but it's not that Benson had two alcohol-related issues - it's that he had two within the span of a month. That's an important distinction, IMO. It shows that he's irresponsible, immature, and really, really stupid.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:51 PM
If he was homesick - that's not the kind of guy I want on my team. I don't want babies who need to be close to mommy. I want football players who don't let stuff like affect their play.

Eh, if there are reports that the defense tried to intentionally hurt Benson his rookie year (disputed reports), I could see why he might miss the environs of home.

Hell, I can't leave Texas for more than a week, or I start losing it because I miss Tex Mex so much.

Hooston Texan
06-26-2008, 04:53 PM

Signed,

I dunno, TC. The bolded sentence sounds an awful lot like Carolina fans last year and Giants fans now spinning the acquisition of David Carr.

Still, I'll keep an open mind since our current stable of runners is hardly imposing. If we do sign him, I assume it will be for minimal bonus/guarantee money and that it will be forcefully explained to Benson that he's going to have to earn a roster spot if he expects to get paid.

Second Honeymoon
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
I could see this happening. Buy low and sell high. He would get very little money and just about nothing guaranteed as he has already passed waivers with his existing contract, thus ending it.

at face value it sounds like a bad idea but once you realize how little the Texans would risk, and how its the best fit for Benson, it may just work out for everyone.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Here's the most complete statement that Smith has given regarding his attitudes towards character (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5685619.html):

Smith will rule out some prospects who got into trouble in college, but he doesn't rule out every prospect because of his off-the-field behavior. Last year, Okoye was one of several prospects who admitted in combine interviews they had smoked marijuana.

"We do exhaustive research because we realize the investment we're going to make," Smith said. "We gather as much information as we can on background and character. We realize that young people make mistakes. The key is do they learn from their mistakes.

"We believe in second chances if we think they're worthy of second chances."

Smith won't comment on specific players and revelations about them and allegations against them, but he's been around long enough to know that if the Texans ruled out every player with some kind of transgression in his background, then he could cut his draft board in half.

"As the general manager, I have to keep the big picture in mind," he said. "I have to build the roster and put the team together. Our goal is to build the best possible team we can with the best possible players we can get."

Ced Benson aside, who here feels totally comfortable with the running back roster as is? It wouldn't surprise me if this is something they are exploring.

So, it is question of $$$ and whether they think he is worth a fresh start in Houston. It would make total sense for Benson as the Texans are being set up as a good place to be a RB now that Gibbs is here. The question is whether the Texans think it makes sense for them.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 05:00 PM

Signed,

Ammended signatures,

Sam Mack, James Allen, Adimchinobe Echemandu

GuerillaBlack
06-26-2008, 05:01 PM
We don't need him. We have enough RB's already going into training camp, but I still wouldn't mind bringing him into camp. See what he does.

Overalls
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
I could see this happening. Buy low and sell high. He would get very little money and just about nothing guaranteed as he has already passed waivers with his existing contract, thus ending it.

at face value it sounds like a bad idea but once you realize how little the Texans would risk, and how its the best fit for Benson, it may just work out for everyone.

I agree. Do I want him to come here, not really. Would I cry if he did, no. I am not impressed with who we have and I was happy with the Green signing when it went down. I think Benson coming here COULDwork out but I wouldn't bank on him coming here or bank on him working out if he did. To me if he came here it would only be for a good will jester and camp foder unless he actually shows up, keeps clean, keeps his mouth shut and performs.

Hervoyel
06-26-2008, 05:03 PM
I think that if Cedric Benson can convince the Texans that he's ready to pull his head out of his fourth point of contact and grow up then I'd want to see if his play in Chicago was the abberration and find out if he could help.

He's the same guy who was drafted fourth overall just a few years ago. Out of all the things that combined to put him in that spot the only thing that's presently absent is his reputation. That's gone and will require some serious rehab to get back. Thanks to that and his need to get his career back on track Cedric Benson could be a very inexpensive experiment. The Texans would be foolish to pass on this opportunity IF it's presented to them and they believe he really is ready to straighten out.

As I said to others on this subject, that's going to have to be one hell of a sales pitch.

ledzeppelin229
06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Ammended signatures,

Sam Mack, James Allen, Adimchinobe Echemandu

You got Adimchinobe right but messed up Stacey Mack? Mack is a legacy....You can at least get his name right.

:gun:

Sam Mack sounds like a beer bellied redneck that just stumbled out of his trailer.

Nawzer
06-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I think every team in the NFL should have at least one designated law breaker. A guy that breaks enough laws and commits just enough crime to keep everyone else on the team straight. His role could be to take attention away from the team when it's not doing so good. Also, during the offseason it gives fans something to talk about. So yeah Cedric Benson could be that guy for us. He definitely has potential...Of being pulled over by the cops again.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
I dunno, TC. The bolded sentence sounds an awful lot like Carolina fans last year and Giants fans now spinning the acquisition of David Carr.
Still, I'll keep an open mind since our current stable of runners is hardly imposing. If we do sign him, I assume it will be for minimal bonus/guarantee money and that it will be forcefully explained to Benson that he's going to have to earn a roster spot if he expects to get paid.

Clearly, you have to learn from your mistakes. But you also can't overlearn from them.

You would like to see a running back show more despite a crap offense. But there have also been situations where running backs produce poorly for one offense and good for other ones and vice versa.

The Texans like lots of legs for camp. Kubiak got crushed in his first year with the situation that they had at running back--he thought he would have DD, he thought his young players would produce more, and that didn't work out so well. He hoped to get more from Green last year and that didn't work out so well.

drewmar74
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
What if....

What if CB signs a one year deal laden with incentives?

What if CB wants to prove that he belongs in the league and shows up in the best shape of his life?

What if CB runs with a will all year to try to save his last chance in the NFL?

What if CB picks up the ZBS and can function in it?

What if I did my job instead of making 'pie in the sky' what if statements?

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 05:11 PM
You got Adimchinobe right but messed up Stacey Mack? Mack is a legacy....You can at least get his name right.

Sam Mack sounds like a beer bellied redneck that just stumbled out of his trailer.

Sam Mack played for Houston...

............. the Rockets that is.

DiehardChris
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
You know what - I'm good with it if it turns out to be true... because there's no way Rick and Gary would even entertain the notion unless they thought CB was ready to make a change.

And like you guys say - low risk, high reward. Let them bring him in. I'll be skeptical, but Rick and Gary are good at their jobs, and I trust them.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
What if....

What if CB signs a one year deal laden with incentives?

What if CB wants to prove that he belongs in the league and shows up in the best shape of his life?

What if CB runs with a will all year to try to save his last chance in the NFL?

What if CB picks up the ZBS and can function in it?

What if I did my job instead of making 'pie in the sky' what if statements?

What if.......... if were a fifth??

We'd all be inebriated.

Texans_Chick
06-26-2008, 05:14 PM
We don't need him. We have enough RB's already going into training camp, but I still wouldn't mind bringing him into camp. See what he does.

Signed,
Old and oft injured, oft injured, inexperienced undrafted guy who is coming off injury, and inexperienced undrafted guy.

/sorry about overusing the signed thing, but I got nuthin.

Benson question aside, that group doesn't provide much comfort.

Lucky
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Ced Benson aside, who here feels totally comfortable with the running back roster as is?
I wouldn't be totally comfortable with Cedric Benson on the roster. He's never proven in the NFL to be better than what the Texans already have.

I get why the Texans would take a meeting with Benson. The offensive coordinator is a former college teammate (that's how freakin' young Little Shanny is). The starting right tackle was a high school teammate. Benson has connections here. But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway. I'm sure that Smith & Kubiak will tell Benson to keep his nose and liver clean, and if something comes up during the season, he will be on speed dial.

Mr teX
06-26-2008, 05:16 PM
i don't wanna see this dude here, he can't stay out of trouble & seems like he still can't get over the fact that he's not the man anymore. think about it, this dude has been catered to & pampered since he was in high school, then he gets drafted, sees he's not "the dude" anymore & then begins to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Furthermore, he's not a tough enough runner for me, he tries to pick his way through the line too much........

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway.

By the time he is ready to come back will be about the time "Ah-man I'm hurt again" Green will be placed on IR. So from a timing aspect that might not be so bad.

But more importantly, I agreed with your point about not being anything that the Texans don't already have.

06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
"Ah-man I'm hurt again Green"

hahahaha i like it

Texecutioner
06-26-2008, 05:21 PM
It would be a really stooooopid signing if the Texans went after that fool. As a UT fan I was a big fan of Benson, but he became a worse RB when he got into the NFL. It seemed like he got slower and his stumbling problem he had at UT got a lot worse. He was always a lousy blocker for the QB even in college. The fact of the matter is that he's NEVER had a good work ethic and he was able to get by in college on talent alone without having to work hard.

He's always been a major pot head and UT alums were always getting that fool out of trouble and having charges dropped against him.

I have been pretty critical of Texans management for years now, and I still am but one thing I can say about Mcnair and company is that they don't go after the Thugs, locker room cancers, or the Pre-madonnas. I can't think of one guy that signed fitting any of those categories since their existance. The only really BAD APPLE the Texans have really ever had that was an embarrasing ***** was Jerome Mathis, but he was a guy from the draft so that doesn't really count and once he had that ordeal with his wife he was sent packing.

The Texans could surely use another serviceable RB, but Benson would be a waste. He doesn't stay healthy, he doesn't work hard, and he isn't really any better than anyone that we already have. This isn't going to happen.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 05:25 PM
hahahaha i like it

Can't take credit for that one. Someone posted that last year and I LMAO and waited to 'borrow' it.

Hervoyel
06-26-2008, 05:29 PM
I think every team in the NFL should have at least one designated law breaker. A guy that breaks enough laws and commits just enough crime to keep everyone else on the team straight. His role could be to take attention away from the team when it's not doing so good. Also, during the offseason it gives fans something to talk about. So yeah Cedric Benson could be that guy for us. He definitely has potential...Of being pulled over by the cops again.

Yeah, I like that philosophy. There needs to be one guy in the locker room who has a sign over his locker reading "It may be that the sole purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others".

Double Barrel
06-26-2008, 05:40 PM
You know what - I'm good with it if it turns out to be true... because there's no way Rick and Gary would even entertain the notion unless they thought CB was ready to make a change.

And like you guys say - low risk, high reward. Let them bring him in. I'll be skeptical, but Rick and Gary are good at their jobs, and I trust them.

I tend to agree with this take of trusting our HC and front office.

But, the part that bugs me is what Lucky said...

I wouldn't be totally comfortable with Cedric Benson on the roster. He's never proven in the NFL to be better than what the Texans already have.

I get why the Texans would take a meeting with Benson. The offensive coordinator is a former college teammate (that's how freakin' young Little Shanny is). The starting right tackle was a high school teammate. Benson has connections here. But, he's likely to be suspended for the 1st 4 games of the season, anyway. I'm sure that Smith & Kubiak will tell Benson to keep his nose and liver clean, and if something comes up during the season, he will be on speed dial.

Beyond the 4 game suspension, which is already a quarter of the season, I'd be concerned about a potential relapse of the old CB and the distractions that creates for this team. I'm not convinced that this is a strong enough locker room with enough team leaders to prevent a problem situation with one player from infecting the team atmosphere.

i don't wanna see this dude here, he can't stay out of trouble & seems like he still can't get over the fact that he's not the man anymore. think about it, this dude has been catered to & pampered since he was in high school, then he gets drafted, sees he's not "the dude" anymore & then begins to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Furthermore, he's not a tough enough runner for me, he tries to pick his way through the line too much........

The first part is a good point. Some folks just seem incorrigible, which is obviously a perspective, but even so, it's a crap shoot to hope that this guy pulls his head out of his butt in order to save his career.

The second part got me wondering...doesn't Kubiak's system require a one-cut RB who can make the split decision of recognizing blocks almost the moment he's given the ball? I honestly don't know enough about CB's style, but if what you are saying is any indication, I'm just not sure if he'll be a good fit based on his running style in our system.

ATXtexanfan
06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
the longer i think about this, i still don't like it. however, i've learned to trust kubiak and smith. just don't think it's a good fit. better off bringing dayne back in if you ask me. just because he was a top five pick doesn't mean he's a top five talent. dude was a great college player alongside VY and that's about it.

TexansLucky13
06-26-2008, 05:52 PM
He wouldn't make it out of training camp.

Sal Rosenberg
06-26-2008, 05:53 PM
He wouldn't make it out of training camp.

I would like to see him try to get out of camp.

SouthSideTexan
06-26-2008, 05:59 PM
One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to loose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

pappy
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM

Glen earl might argue with you about this , remember last year when CB ran over Glen like a freight train ?

Wolf
06-26-2008, 06:00 PM
true DB.. I don't his style either, but I am in the "If the price is right, try it" scenario.. never know .. maybe a change of scenery can be good for him..
and only hope would be for the coaching staff to get him into gear and play at least like a #4 overall pick.. if the price is right and we don't lose anything . all I could hope for is a priest homes type of turnaroud (or similar)

ATXtexanfan
06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to loose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

ain't that the truth!

thunderkyss
06-26-2008, 06:06 PM

First of all, I don't think our situation is that bad.

Ahman Green, & Chris Brown have proven they can be very productive, when healthy. I don't believe Benson has proven that he can be as effective as Chris Taylor, or Darius Walker at this level.

Cedric Benson has done nothing at the NFL level.

That said, I do believe Kubiak had a bit of a reputation in Denver for turning zeroes into heroes at the running back position.

As a side note, I know if I were Cedric Benson, and I got cut from the Bears, and I was in the Houston area, I'd probably say that I was closest to a deal with the Texans.

If I were in Dallas, I'd say I was closest to a deal with the Cowboys.

If I were in Oakland, I'd say I was closest to a deal with the Texans... well, you know what I mean.

Hooston Texan
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Clearly, you have to learn from your mistakes. But you also can't overlearn from them.

You would like to see a running back show more despite a crap offense. But there have also been situations where running backs produce poorly for one offense and good for other ones and vice versa.

The Texans like lots of legs for camp. Kubiak got crushed in his first year with the situation that they had at running back--he thought he would have DD, he thought his young players would produce more, and that didn't work out so well. He hoped to get more from Green last year and that didn't work out so well.

I have no problem giving anyone a look as long as the initial cost is minimal. I'm sure we'd be offering Ced virtually nothing in the way of guarantees/bonuses. The only cost then has to do with awarding him one of the 80 precious spots that we have for training camp. I have not crunched the numbers, but Smithiak believe we can comfortably bring Ced, Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor and Walker to the party, then by all means.

Kubes certainly has had buzzard's luck on RBs in his two years here, so I dont' begrudge his efforts to find a solution. But it has to be done in a way that imparts to Benson that he's not getting a job unless he works his ever-loving tail off and keeps his mouth shut tight.

Wolf
06-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I have no problem giving anyone a look as long as the initial cost is minimal. I'm sure we'd be offering Ced virtually nothing in the way of guarantees/bonuses. The only cost then has to do with awarding him one of the 80 precious spots that we have for training camp. I have not crunched the numbers, but Smithiak believe we can comfortably bring Ced, Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor and Walker to the party, then by all means.

Kubes certainly has had buzzard's luck on RBs in his two years here, so I dont' begrudge his efforts to find a solution. But it has to be done in a way that imparts to Benson that he's not getting a job unless he works his ever-loving tail off and keeps his mouth shut tight.

I am sure they would go with an incentive laced or performance based contract.. at least the Smith, he seems to make smart decisions compared to uhhh... the other GM uhhh...sorry therapy and hypnosis had me blank his name out

Wolf
06-26-2008, 06:23 PM
One thing that irks me about Benson possibly coming here is, who is going to lose their training camp invite. Only 80 players can attend. How many of the invites have played by the rules and done what what was asked of them and then some. Is it going to be fair to them? This may be the NFL and a "Business" , but where do you draw the line? :hides:

I do feel for some, but most invites aren't going to make it anyway.. sad part of NFL.. and if some make it, it is ST that they go, or they are going on ST .. not many Bill Bates come out of invities. Benson has the talent, just has to work at being an NFL runningback

some talk about his work ethic.. I almost would like to see what our coaches could do for the guy... not sure but I wonder what some thought of travis johnson and the talk that he got from the coaches before camp kinda motivated him.. I am hoping if lightening could strike twice and (again if the price is right) motivate Benson... but this is a rumor and I doubt anything comes out of it, but great talk during this slow time of the year

06-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Can't take credit for that one. Someone posted that last year and I LMAO and waited to 'borrow' it.

haha, well, you still get credit cuz i got an LOL out of it myself

Texecutioner
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
4 pages of benson speculation???

It's just a pipe dream for him, and it ain't gonna happen.

The only way Benson is at any Texans games next year will be if he is TAILGATING in the parking lot with the rest of us. After all, that is where all the liquor and beer is. :thisbig:

ATXtexanfan
06-26-2008, 06:49 PM
4 pages of benson speculation???

It's just a pipe dream for him, and it ain't gonna happen.

The only way Benson is at any Texans games next year will be if he is TAILGATING in the parking lot with the rest of us. After all, that is where all the liquor and beer is. :thisbig:

LOL a hundred times!!!!!!!

Wolf
06-26-2008, 06:51 PM
some will be happy in the austin area.. boat rides and if i recall a couple of cute ladies on that thing :specnatz:

Texecutioner
06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
some will be happy in the austin area.. boat rides and if i recall a couple of cute ladies on that thing :specnatz:

I dunno, he's probably already got the beathalizer thing on the boat steering wheel as well.

PapaL
06-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Example:

Thomas Jones.

Sucked horribly at AZ. Pretty damn good at CHI. Mediocore at NYJ.

---

Whats the worst that could happen? He signs, gets busted DUI and gets cut? Not like we're going to through LT money at him. More like Ron Dayne money.

TexansFanatic
06-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Whats the worst that could happen? He signs, gets busted DUI and gets cut? Not like we're going to through LT money at him. More like Ron Dayne money.

Right. I don't see where signing Ced would be crossing a stark line. He's made mistakes but his mistakes haven't been violent or really ugly, like say punching a stripper for instance...

michaelm
06-27-2008, 12:06 AM
What if.......... if were a fifth??

We'd all be inebriated.

We aren't?!?!

GP
06-27-2008, 12:31 AM
...Cedric Benson is a client at a place were I work and he was just in today.

Liquor store or pot house?

Couldn't resist. Sorry, man.

BTW...I have no problem with Ced trying out for the team. If we made Ron Dayne a decent RB in our system, and Ced is dedicated to playing hard, then it might turn out OK.

mariowillshine15
06-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Bring him in see if he can turn his career around.

If he sucks cut him its that simple.

barrett
06-27-2008, 03:32 AM
...It shows that he's irresponsible, immature, and really, really stupid.

sounds like alot of the guys coming out of this football program here in austin. seems to always translate pretty well in the NFL.

and on that note, sure, bring him in. wtf. it just means we have to cut these five guys:

zgonina
spencer
one of those WR's that aren't David Anderson or Harry Williams
one of those safeties that are 12 year vets... Ferguson i think
Salaam or Fry or Butler or White or Eslinger

it's not hard to think that his risk is any more unknown than these guys productivity. (other than Salaam. i think you know exactly what you get with him. oh, and zgonina, you know that he'll be doin' the flannigan. 7 yards back from the line of scrimmage on his back.)

for no money of course.

BattleRedToro
06-27-2008, 07:30 AM
I'll be surprised if anyone signs Benson before Training Camp begins. I expect he probably won't be signed until around the time that his 4 game suspension is up, unless of course some team has their RB corps depleted by injuries.

nunusguy
06-27-2008, 09:28 AM
This possibility is really intriguing if Benson is actually a fit for our ZBS,
which I don't know because I just don't know much about Benson, his running style, physical attributes, etc ?
For openers it would obviously be tough for him to get past the seagent-at-arms at the front door, Bob McNair. And you know he's a perfect candidate for the Cowboys, but since they are already sitting with a full-house at running back there's not room up there.
We are probably in better shape at running back than for some time, but really that's may not be saying too much ? If he'd be cheap enough and wants to really remain in Texas, it's unlikely but who knows for sure ?

Mr teX
06-27-2008, 09:59 AM
I tend to agree with this take of trusting our HC and front office.

But, the part that bugs me is what Lucky said...

Beyond the 4 game suspension, which is already a quarter of the season, I'd be concerned about a potential relapse of the old CB and the distractions that creates for this team. I'm not convinced that this is a strong enough locker room with enough team leaders to prevent a problem situation with one player from infecting the team atmosphere.

The first part is a good point. Some folks just seem incorrigible, which is obviously a perspective, but even so, it's a crap shoot to hope that this guy pulls his head out of his butt in order to save his career.

The second part got me wondering...doesn't Kubiak's system require a one-cut RB who can make the split decision of recognizing blocks almost the moment he's given the ball? I honestly don't know enough about CB's style, but if what you are saying is any indication, I'm just not sure if he'll be a good fit based on his running style in our system.

Don't get me wrong, he's fine if he can get monstrous holes to run through like he had @ texas, he's everything you want in a back. The problem is, when it's not there what i observed in the couple of games i watched of chicago & the superbowl, he tends to just dance behind the line instead of taking what's there & punishing the defense. Those are things that help open holes for you later in games when the defense is tired of hitting you.

Furthermore, it'd be one thing if he'd actually done something in the league thus far............He hasn't done squat since he's been in the league b/c he's always hurt or b/c he's fell out of favor with the coach; he's also got a little of the fumblitis problem too.

I just say, no thanks i'll just keep chronically hurt former pro bowler rather than this malcontent who can't leave the malibu rum alone.

PapaL
06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Liquor store or pot house?

Couldn't resist. Sorry, man.

BTW...I have no problem with Ced trying out for the team. If we made Ron Dayne a decent RB in our system, and Ced is dedicated to playing hard, then it might turn out OK.

Boat rental place maybe?

Vinny
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
well, based on what I hear from guys I find credible he probably is talking to the team...I hope they put something together. I mean, heck...look at Thomas Jones the bust 7th overall pick from the Cards....took him a few years to figure out that the NFL wasn't a game...it was a job. He turned into a pretty solid back after he left the team that drafted him since he always had the physical talent. Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.

threetoedpete
06-27-2008, 11:49 AM
well, based on what I hear from guys I find credible he probably is talking to the team...I hope they put something together. I mean, heck...look at Thomas Jones the bust 7th overall pick from the Cards....took him a few years to figure out that the NFL wasn't a game...it was a job. He turned into a pretty solid back after he left the team that drafted him since he always had the physical talent. Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker#dt-tab-set-1:dt-by-team/team-chi

Well suited to play left tackle, (Chris) Williams should provide an upgrade to a unit that struggled in 2007

Chicago followed the Williams pick by selecting two flyer's on a G and RT in the seventh. beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder here. He was way over weight last year and acted like a guy trying to get run out of town.

I believe the "talks" part. Just Smith being...through. The incident on the lake was dubious at best. It's hard for an old cat to change his spots. If this guy was setting up Free agency in an uncapped year, he might be the smartest cat in the tree. If he is just a knuckle head acting out, we'd be better served to leave him alone. The only question I have 'bout the guy: can the guy help us sweep the division?

I don't know about you but I'm tired of getting feed a you know what sandwich by PM every year and having Dungy come on afterwards talking about what a great team the Texans were. I wanna see Dungy so mad after a Texans game he has tears in his eyes and he is madder than a wet hen. I can forgive a lot at 11-5 with home field advantage under our belts.

Texecutioner
06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Boat rental place maybe?

Nah, I would guess that the guy must work at the court house or a probation office.
:spit:

Texans_Chick
06-27-2008, 12:01 PM

Agreed.

I think that there is no way they could have done something like this in Kubiak's first year, because the locker room was a mess. There were a number of players with the Texans that didn't know how to prepare like pros.

Kubiak has this lockerroom going the right direction and has enough vets on the team to control players like this.

Clearly out of all the situations in the league, I really do think the Texans one would be best for him--opportunity, system (especially with Gibbs), close to home and UT fans that will give him a bigger break than some fans in other states, familiar faces such as K. Shanahan. He has a better chance of playing time with the Texans versus the Cowboys.

The Texans situation is a fairly "safe" environment. The Texans keep their dirty laundry in house, the media isn't that overly critical and the spotlight here isn't as intense as other places.

If the contract is structured right, it would be worth a look. (But not only does he have suspension things to worry about, there are also the BWI/DWI charges that may have consequences).

Hardcore Texan
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Agreed.

I think that there is no way they could have done something like this in Kubiak's first year, because the locker room was a mess. There were a number of players with the Texans that didn't know how to prepare like pros.

Kubiak has this lockerroom going the right direction and has enough vets on the team to control players like this.

Clearly out of all the situations in the league, I really do think the Texans one would be best for him--opportunity, system (especially with Gibbs), close to home and UT fans that will give him a bigger break than some fans in other states, familiar faces such as K. Shanahan. He has a better chance of playing time with the Texans versus the Cowboys.

The Texans situation is a fairly "safe" environment. The Texans keep their dirty laundry in house, the media isn't that overly critical and the spotlight here isn't as intense as other places.

If the contract is structured right, it would be worth a look. (But not only does he have suspension things to worry about, there are also the BWI/DWI charges that may have consequences).

Is this not what the suspension is for? I am drawing a blank.

If he has the two alcohol incidents on top of the suspension, certainly Goodell is going to add to the punishment.

06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Agreed.

i highly doubt this would happen, but my question is, if it did, who would be the odd man out at RB? kubes still talks about how we're a different offense with green on the field... no way we cut chris brown; he's a perfect fit... slaton is a definite lock. or hell, would ced even make this team? off the field issues aside, i'm not sure he'd fit well in this scheme... he runs like jonathan wells.

hot pickle
06-27-2008, 12:39 PM
i dont know if people remember.. but when he was drafted i told everyone that he didnt wanna play for the bears.. and i could see it in his face that he was upset that he went to the bears.... and EVERYONE hounded on me for it.... anyone think that he was lazy because he didnt wanna play for them??? i wouldnt mind him in Houston.. see if he can get his step back

Vinny
06-27-2008, 12:41 PM
i highly doubt this would happen, but my question is, if it did, who would be the odd man out at RB? kubes still talks about how we're a different offense with green on the field... no way we cut chris brown; he's a perfect fit... slaton is a definite lock. or hell, would ced even make this team? off the field issues aside, i'm not sure he'd fit well in this scheme... he runs like jonathan wells.you let camp decide who is the odd man out. Just like in the old days....and he has tons more talent than JW. Wells ran like Stacey Mack. Benson runs more like a poor mans Stephen Davis.

Wolf
06-27-2008, 12:46 PM
you let camp decide who is the odd man out. Just like in the old days....and he has tons more talent than JW. Wells ran like Stacey Mack. Benson runs more like a poor mans Stephen Davis.

agreed vinny...This is about competition.. better the competiton the better the team is going to be (obviously)..odd man out .. well another team will pick them up if they are that good (being alot is worried about odd man out)

Overalls
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Is this not what the suspension is for? I am drawing a blank.

If he has the two alcohol incidents on top of the suspension, certainly Goodell is going to add to the punishment.

Not that I can speak for her, but she may mean that he could end up with jail time on top of the NFL suspension for the charges. One punishment being work related and the other being because of being convicted in a court of law.

edo783
06-27-2008, 01:23 PM
you let camp decide who is the odd man out. Just like in the old days....and he has tons more talent than JW. Wells ran like Stacey Mack. Benson runs more like a poor mans Stephen Davis.

Not sure I see him that way. Always seemed to be a bit slow footed to me. I didn't like his game when he came out of college and now with all the other stuff, like him even less. Guess that's why they have horse races. If everyone agreed who would win....there would be no need to run them. The guys that get paid a boatload of money to see him correctly will make the call and they have been pretty darn good at it, so if they do it I'm OK with it.

Vinny
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Not sure I see him that way. Always seemed to be a bit slow footed to me. I didn't like his game when he came out of college and now with all the other stuff, like him even less. Guess that's why they have horse races. If everyone agreed who would win....there would be no need to run them. The guys that get paid a boatload of money to see him correctly will make the call and they have been pretty darn good at it, so if they do it I'm OK with it.

turn down the music, but you can see here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=846278402112480509&q=cedric+benson&ei=2SJlSIWlIaHQ4gK9jIjbAg&hl=en) in some runs from last season that he has more talent than Ron Dayne and can probably be a good short yardage back if nothing else. It took Steven Davis 4 years before he became as productive as he eventually got. He wasn't a speed burner either but for a 3 year stretch there was nobody better than him running the ball in the league at one time. Just food for thought.

Lucky
06-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Perhaps Ced can get his head in this now that he has had it taken away. Personally I hope we can sign him as long as we have a contract we can bail on if he flakes again.
If the Texans are going to handout 2nd chances for wayward RBs, I'd rather see the Texans give one to Travis Henry. At least he's proven he can get the job done, during different points in his career. Benson hasn't shown anything since entering the league. I mean Ron Dayne has out rushed Benson over the past 2 seasons.

dalemurphy
06-27-2008, 02:09 PM

I agree with that sentiment. However, what can he show in preseason/training camp that can mitigate his performance and behavior the past 6 seasons (college and pro) enough to justify the cutting of at least one of these guys : Slaton, CTaylor, AGreen, CBrown?

dalemurphy
06-27-2008, 02:12 PM
If the Texans are going to handout 2nd chances for wayward RBs, I'd rather see the Texans give one to Travis Henry. At least he's proven he can get the job done, during different points in his career. Benson hasn't shown anything since entering the league. I mean Ron Dayne has out rushed Benson over the past 2 seasons.

I was a big fan of THenry as a RB in Buffalo and even since then. However, a guy with 9? illegitimate children... He simply is an incredibly irresponsible man that deserves nothing but disrespect. I want nothing to do with the guy!

Wolf
06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
I agree with that sentiment. However, what can he show in preseason/training camp that can mitigate his performance and behavior the past 6 seasons (college and pro) enough to justify the cutting of at least one of these guys : Slaton, CTaylor, AGreen, CBrown?

new scenery, different attitude (possibly) ... getting released and getting into trouble can do one of two things, wake him up and straighten him out or he continues to underachieve and will be a footnote in the NFL draft.

The1ApplePie
06-27-2008, 02:35 PM
I remember Benson playing in High School. He is a straight-ahead runner, nothing else. He's basically a poor man's Ricky Williams, without the catching ability.

And his drug of choice is legal.

Hervoyel
06-27-2008, 02:40 PM

Keep the following in mind.

Slaton is a rookie and he's going to make the team. Brown is one of our higher profile free agent signings (to the extent that you can say that about Chris Brown) and he's more than likely going to make the team.

Barring freak accidents/injuries and the possibility that Slaton just busts outright those two are probably locks to make the team. That leaves Chris Taylor and Ahman Green. Hold that thought.

Now think of what the world thinks of Cedric Benson right now. They think he's an alcoholic bum who never panned out and never will pan out in the NFL. They think he's an irresponsible brat. Forget about whether it's true or not and whether he can be salvaged or not. That's something that Smith, Kubiak, & Associates will decide in camp. Just consider that the widely held opinion of Benson is not good (as evidenced by many comments in this thread).

Now consider that if either Taylor or Green gets beat out of a job by Benson they'll be assumed by many to be a has-been (Green) and a never-was (Taylor). Sure each of them might go on to another team and contribute or at least get a look but it's entirely possible that they could both be out of football until the injuries start happening if not longer. Shawn Alexander can't get a job right now so what makes anyone think that Ahman Green coming off a season where he spent most of his time in injured reserve is going to be snapped up the minute Cedric "Set em' up" Benson outperforms him?

If Benson can beat either one of these guys out of a job then I'd be interested in having him on the team. If he can't then he gets cut like any other low risk free agent we might sign who doesn't pan out.

thunderkyss
06-27-2008, 02:55 PM

I don't really know what the RB situation was in Arizona, when Thomas Jones was there. But it is my belief, that the team itself wasn't conducive to running the football. I can't remember when they had anyone to put up any numbers in Arizona.

In Chicago, they had a running back who put up back to back 1200 yard seasons, and Cedric couldn't get anything going.

He's talented, I'll give him that. From the pictures I've seen, he's kept himself in shape. The boat thing, and the DUI, DWI, whatever aren't deal breakers to me.

I'm just saying I don't see much of a reason to believe he can play in this league.

The1ApplePie
06-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm trying to remember if Benson can return kicks or not.

TheRealJoker
06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Is there anything to this more than a rumor from the OP?

Texecutioner
06-27-2008, 03:07 PM
I'm trying to remember if Benson can return kicks or not.

Hell no, he's way to slow to return kicks and even if he had the speed he doesn't have the moves.

NBT
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm agin it! He makes the offense too predictable, won't block, can't catch, he is a selfish troublemaker, so why on earth would we even want to give him a tryout?

Wolf
06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm agin it! He makes the offense too predictable, won't block, can't catch, he is a selfish troublemaker, so why on earth would we even want to give him a tryout?

Well IF he were to sign and IF Alex Gibbs can't make him block, I doubt anyone can

Polo
06-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't really know what the RB situation was in Arizona, when Thomas Jones was there. But it is my belief, that the team itself wasn't conducive to running the football. I can't remember when they had anyone to put up any numbers in Arizona.

In Chicago, they had a running back who put up back to back 1200 yard seasons, and Cedric couldn't get anything going.

He's talented, I'll give him that. From the pictures I've seen, he's kept himself in shape. The boat thing, and the DUI, DWI, whatever aren't deal breakers to me.

I'm just saying I don't see much of a reason to believe he can play in this league.

There was also no reason to believe Andre Davis and Kevin Walter would be main contributors last season...

No reason to believe some of our late round picks (i.e Daniels, Diles) would be major contributors either if we use your logic....

There are many factors that determine whether or not a player can have success in the NFL....Too many to look at one stint and say "there's no reason to believe he can be successful"....

What do we KNOW about Benson ?

Off field troubles, not very productive in Chicago....Highly productive college player, physical specimen, young....

There are plenty of reasons to speculate why he could come here to Houston and be successful...Many don't even have to do wwith Cedric himself....;)

El Tejano
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM
I have a meeting to go to so I will attempt to make this short and to the point.

Capwise: Benson had a base salary of about 650k. He wasn't scheduled to make a whole lot this year and pretty much had an incentive based salary. Now that he is cut - as someone stated, beggars can't be choosers so we pretty much have all the leverage in signing him. If someone wants to offer him more they can have him.

For Benson: This is an attempt to regain his career. He can either make it with an up and coming team with playoff potential or he can end up losing out to the likes of Steve Slaton, Darius Walker or Chris Taylor. All who have very little experience, not to mention the banged up Chris Brown and Ahman Green. If he can't make that roster, his career could really be over as far as big contracts go.

For Texans: Signing Benson sends a message that anyone toting the rock better make sure they aren't putting the ball on the ground and are learning this system because everyone is expendable. That creates competition, that creates good RBs and a better offense for the team. Benson pretty much comes on the cheap. If he makes it great he proved himself, if not well we made the others better and didn't lose on anything special.

Toro59
06-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Wow, 6 pages over a topic that is more than likely made up. This guy hasn't even posted back on this subject. He's probablly getting a good kick out of all this. :thisbig:

Vinny
06-27-2008, 03:22 PM
Wow, 6 pages over a topic that is more than likely made up. This guy hasn't even posted back on this subject. He's probablly getting a good kick out of all this. :thisbig:
I've heard it from other places too...I doubt this is made up....at least the talking to our brass thing.

Texecutioner
06-27-2008, 03:23 PM

I agree. He just came out of an offense where Thomas Jones completely out played him, so why on earth would he become a good player now?

Just because Gibbs is here so many in here automatically assume that the Texans running game is just going to be transformed right away in one off season. It might take a year or so before his blocking scheme really starts taking off the way that it did in Denver. Benson would be terrible in this offense, and then he has all kinds of baggage as well. On top of that, Austin is two and a half hours away, and he doesn't need to be anywhere near Austin. He has never been able to stay out of trouble in Austin NOT NOW, and not college either.

He's a bust, and even if he did come to the Texans camp and work his ass off harder than anyone else on the team he still wouldn't amount to much because he simply isn't that good. End of story.

There are much better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now other than a DRUNKARD like Benson.

Wolf
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Running backs are all the rage as the NFL draft approaches. It's debatable whether that is because the quality of the runners this year is so good, or because the marquee value of the top players at other positions is so lacking. Whatever the reason, tailbacks are poised to grab the spotlight Saturday, with Auburn teammates Ronnie Brown and Carnell "Cadillac" Williams and Texas's Cedric Benson likely to be selected early in the opening round.

"All of them are talented players," Houston Texans General Manager Charley Casserly said last week. "They're all a little bit different. Cedric Benson is an inside-the-tackles runner who's going to give you great production. Cadillac Williams can give you big plays inside and outside. Ronnie Brown, if he was at another school, would have been a 1,000-yard rusher every year. I think he'll be a 1,000-yard rusher in our league. They all should be successful in the NFL."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61540-2005Apr17.html

that gives more ammo for some.. Casserly spoke

Mr teX
06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
I agree. He just came out of an offense where Thomas Jones completely out played him, so why on earth would he become a good player now?

Just because Gibbs is here so many in here automatically assume that the Texans running game is just going to be transformed right away in one off season. It might take a year or so before his blocking scheme really starts taking off the way that it did in Denver. Benson would be terrible in this offense, and then he has all kinds of baggage as well. On top of that, Austin is two and a half hours away, and he doesn't need to be anywhere near Austin. He has never been able to stay out of trouble in Austin NOT NOW, and not college either.
He's a bust, and even if he did come to the Texans camp and work his ass off harder than anyone else on the team he still wouldn't amount to much because he simply isn't that good. End of story.

There are much better RB's that the Texans could be going after right now other than a DRUNKARD like Benson.

That's a good point, I think at the heart of it all with him is that i don't think that he's a coachable player & that certainly won't mesh well with gibbs' coaching style. C'mon we're talking about a guy who thought it was ok to kick someone's door in & retrieve stolen property instead of calling the cops. & i'm not some guy just hating on this dude just b/c, i actually thought that he might be the best player coming off of those Chris Simm led teams from UT.

He's young enough to maybe turn his career around & be the guy everyone thought he might be coming out, but i just don't believe that will happen with him b/c he's been so successful out of high school & college pretty much doing it his way.

Plus, If he had a problem sharing carries with Thomas Jones in Chi, i don't know why some think a change of scenery here might do him some good when he'll almost certainly be doing the same thing here.

thunderkyss
06-27-2008, 04:18 PM
There was also no reason to believe Andre Davis and Kevin Walter would be main contributors last season...

Hold on now. The very first thing I heard about Kevin Walther, was that he could be a very productive #2, if he were given the chance. We had every reason to believe he could be a big part of this offense.

We signed Andre Davis with the hopes that he could stretch the field, and be a viable back up to Andre.

And he was. He did exactly what we thought he was going to do.

Neither player compares to Cedric Benson, or his situation. He ran behind what was considered one of the best offensive lines in football, and did nothing.

No reason to believe some of our late round picks (i.e Daniels, Diles) would be major contributors either if we use your logic....

No, that's not logic at all.

Texanmike02
06-27-2008, 04:28 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61540-2005Apr17.html

that gives more ammo for some.. Casserly spoke

You know I was thinking. Can you imagine if Casserly had brought in Chacon (another guy who was talented, and you brought him in hoping having it all taken away would make him gro up)? VINDICATION!!!

eriadoc
06-27-2008, 04:29 PM

I can't even believe that I am going to post what I'm about to write.

This post, and others like it in the thread, assumes that young guys will never grow up, or mature. Some will, some won't. Kubiak and Rick Smith are aware of all the problems that Benson has been involved with, perhaps better than many, given their connections. If they talk with him, spend some time with him, and come to the conclusion that he's worth taking a chance on, I'd have to trust their judgment. Sure, Benson did some bonehead things in Austin. He didn't act like a pro or prepare like a pro in Chicago. He hasn't even honored his own God-given talent.

Believe it or not, though, some people do wake up. It's up to Kubiak and Smith to figure out if Benson has, and if they determine that he might have, what level of risk they're willing to take for him. I'll trust them both, because they've earned it.

El Tejano
06-27-2008, 04:45 PM
If you are a Texan fan from Austin, you should want this deal to go through. It would be nice to get a few more games on TV.

DiehardChris
06-27-2008, 04:56 PM
If you are a Texan fan from Austin, you should want this deal to go through. It would be nice to get a few more games on TV.

I'm in Austin, and Cedric Benson on the Texans isn't even going to make a DENT in the whole VY/Titans/KEYE thing. VY won the championship for UT, period. None of the complimentary players, or other ex-Longhorns will ever matter as much... certainly not enough to turn the tide on the whole KEYE thing. The only thing that will change that is more Titans losses, and more Texans wins.

Overalls
06-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm in Austin, and Cedric Benson on the Texans isn't even going to make a DENT in the whole VY/Titans/KEYE thing. VY won the championship for UT, period. None of the complimentary players, or other ex-Longhorns will ever matter as much... certainly not enough to turn the tide on the whole KEYE thing. The only thing that will change that is more Titans losses, and more Texans wins.

Which should be happening this coming season.

:fans:

Wolf
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM

agreed, Roy Williams coming to the Texans wouldn't do it either

nunusguy
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Right now I'm listening to John McClain on 610 radio and he got a question about the Texans lineup at RB for the upcoming season and he didn't even mention the possibility of Benson being signed for a shot at making the team ?
I dunno, but wonder if that means this story is so obscure he's not going to mention Benson's name or maybe John is too caught up in the movie scene these days to know about it ?

DiehardChris
06-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Right now I'm listening to John McClain on 610 radio and he got a question about the Texans lineup at RB for the upcoming season and he didn't even mention the possibility of Benson being signed for a shot at making the team ?
I dunno, but wonder if that means this story is so obscure he's not going to mention Benson's name or maybe John is too caught up in the movie scene these days to know about it ?

I think it probably means that he's not going to go on the radio and talk about Cedric Benson coming to the Texans because somebody with no actual credibility (no offense intended to the OP) said something on a message board.

Wolf
06-27-2008, 06:40 PM
I think it probably means that he's not going to go on the radio and talk about Cedric Benson coming to the Texans because somebody with no actual credibility (no offense intended to the OP) said something on a message board.

true... and even vinny had heard something (post 77) so who knows

Wolf
06-27-2008, 06:41 PM
You know I was thinking. Can you imagine if Casserly had brought in Chacon (another guy who was talented, and you brought him in hoping having it all taken away would make him gro up)? VINDICATION!!!

Chacon would get the keys to Houston :kingkong:

Second Honeymoon
06-27-2008, 07:41 PM
I reiterate that Benson is a no-risk situation for the Texans. I don't know Cedric Benson personally. I don't know where his mind is at. The Texans could find out pretty easily. If they feel he has hit bottom and is going to fix things and could help your football team, why not take a chance? He had a real bad offseason to say the least, but the only tangible thing you would lose is a few reps here and there for your RB crew and a few hundred grand.

I wasn't a huge fan of the guy's act in Chicago and felt he ran soft and wasn't dedicated, but Kubiak and Gibbs have shown they can take other people's trash and turn it into RB gold. If you feel the dude has any pride left, you buy stock in him now while its low because he has nowhere to go but up. I love our current RB corps. We got some talent, no doubt...but why not add another piece to the pie? Benson's vision is still top notch and he still has a lot of tread left on the tires...go for it Rick Smith. It's not on you if it doesn't work out, it would be on Benson.

DiehardChris
06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Benson's vision is still top notch and he still has a lot of tread left on the tires.

I have seen no evidence of him EVER having top notch vision, much less him still having it. Even the highlight package linked to in this thread doesn't show anything but average-at-best NFL running back ability.

ATXan
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
wow I did not know I would see this many posts. Yes I know some of you think I am making this up, but I just heard it and though you would like to know. For what it is worth he is a very nice guy seems shy sometimes. I first meet him when he was coming out of collage and when he got drafted and I do not think he wanted to play for the bears, but I do think he wants to play for Houston. He loves Austin so he will not be to far from his home. This time I will put on a dancing banana. :splits:

P.S.

I think Gibbs will help him with the blocking.

Wolf
06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
wow I did not know I would see this many posts. Yes I know some of you think I am making this up, but I just heard it and though you would like to know. For what it is worth he is a very nice guy seems shy sometimes. I first meet him when he was coming out of collage and when he got drafted and I do not think he wanted to play for the bears, but I do think he wants to play for Houston. He loves Austin so he will not be to far from his home. This time I will put on a dancing banana. :splits:

P.S.

thanks for posting . i feel if it is meant to be it is meant to be..time will tell

CloakNNNdagger
06-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Nobody believes a rumor here in Houston until it's officially denied.:specnatz:

edo783
06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
in some runs from last season that he has more talent than Ron Dayne .

Talk about damming with faint praise. LOL I see what your getting at. He would be a better short yardage back than Dayne (never thought he was very good at that), but still don't think he has any real zip/explosion. I see him as a big, moderately slow pile driver type guy. I guess the issue is, I just don't like his game as I have seen it so far. Maybe that would change here.

TexansFanatic
06-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Talk about damming with faint praise. LOL I see what your getting at. He would be a better short yardage back than Dayne (never thought he was very good at that), but still don't think he has any real zip/explosion. I see him as a big, moderately slow pile driver type guy. I guess the issue is, I just don't like his game as I have seen it so far. Maybe that would change here.

I'm a huge Longhorn fan and I have to say I was never really that impressed with Ced's work.

He came to Texas with great fanfare, a highly-coveted blue chip recruit with all kinds of records from high school. But he never excited me the way Ricky Williams did.

However, often in the 4th quarter of a game I'd see his game stats come up on the TV screen and I would be floored when I saw that he had run 33 times for 165 yards (like against A&M in 2004).

I guess what I'm trying to say is: the dude is not really flashy, but he'll get the yards if he gets the carries.

thunderkyss
06-27-2008, 11:27 PM
Maybe we can sign Benson, and trade him, Taylor, and Green to Miami for Ricky Williams.

El Tejano
06-28-2008, 12:25 AM

P.S.

I wish we knew where you worked.

Lucky
06-28-2008, 01:04 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is: the dude is not really flashy, but he'll get the yards if he gets the carries.
Benson has only had (2) 100 yard games in his 3 seasons in the NFL. 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen on the 2004 Longhorns are currently playing in the NFL. A lot of good college backs would have picked up 165 yards on 33 carries running behind that line.

RasTaofarI
06-28-2008, 08:16 AM
Bring him into camp on an incentive laden deal. Evaluate his attitude and work ethic etc. for yourself. We have two fragile every down backs (does that make them every other down backs that combine to an every down back?) and two 3rd down backs.

Don't give him a chance but make him earn it. He's still a kid and may have been humbled. So long as the contract is performance based, cut him the minute he starts pulling stupid shit. If we had a ground game we could count on this is a much different team. I'm not saying hes a franchise back. I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying sometimes talent is burried under layers and layers of ego. You don't bring a guy like him in on his terms, you do it on yours. I think it would be worth a shot as long as he has come to the realization that he's not the man here.

Mike

I didn't see much of him in college, (I live in CA) but as soon as the Bears released him, I said to myself, "maybe the Texans will make a run at him."

TEXANS84
06-28-2008, 09:01 AM
wow I did not know I would see this many posts. Yes I know some of you think I am making this up, but I just heard it and though you would like to know.

I know you are not making this up. He's been in Houston since Sunday (my wife and I are friends with his on again/off again girlfriend).

Drew_Smoke
06-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I would bring in anyone to compete. If he's a waste...you put his arse back out on the street.

What could we lose? I did some stoopid things at that age and without all of the $$ to do it with.

Leonard Little was still playing wasn't he??? (I think thats the name of the guy who killed a woman and then got popped on a DWI again)

Hervoyel
06-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Benson has only had (2) 100 yard games in his 3 seasons in the NFL. 4 of the 5 starting offensive linemen on the 2004 Longhorns are currently playing in the NFL. A lot of good college backs would have picked up 165 yards on 33 carries running behind that line.

That's very true. Nobody could argue that Benson has not underachieved in his 3 years in the league. There are reasons to suggest that he might be worth trying to salvage however.

He was drafted in 2005 and held out for all of training camp which gave Thomas Jones the opportunity to get his career back on track. How many rookies backing up 1300+ yard backs lit the world on fire in the past couple of years? Like, one? (Jones-Drew in Jacksonville comes to mind).

67 attempts in 2005 got Benson a total of 272 yards and a 4.1 average. I'm inclined to believe that he got too few carries to ever truly get into any kind of rhythm.

His "big" rookie games consisted of 16, 14, and 12 touches. In every other game he was doing 2-3 carries a game. It's hard to break through when you don't get the touches and didn't go to camp.

I'm just saying that the man got off on the wrong foot in Chicago and a starter emerged in front of him before he could make it right.

So we go to 2006 and what do we see? Thomas Jones throwing up another 1200 yards, a 4.1 average and Cedric Benson (also averaging 4.1 a carry) unable to displace him. This begs the question "How many guys do lose their starting job a year after posting 1335 yards and a 4.3 average?"

If you're the bears how do you justify benching Thomas Jones after his 2005 performance? If you had known he was going to do that would you have even bothered to draft Cedric Benson that year? Sure Jones got them just under a thousand yards in 2004 but the Bears have been teased by "almost-franchise" backs ever since Walter Payton retired.

They got a thousand yards from Anthony Thomas a couple of times, James Allen once, Hell even Curtis Enis got within sniffing distance of 1K in 1999. I'm sure they picked Benson thinkin that Jones was just another in a long line of almosts. All that changed when Jones began really producing however in 2005-2006

From their perspective in 2006 they have a highly regarded rookie not getting banged up as much as he might be and they have Jones still running the ball strong enough. Grossman is kind of funky but they're a running team and they get almost 2000 yards on the ground just between Jones and Benson.

They go to the Super Bowl and lose.

2007 sees Thomas Jones headed out of town (why not, Benson averaged the same number of yards per carry, he's younger, and you have a lot of money tied up in him) and Benson takes the starting role. At the exact same time that this happens their QB situation goes to hell in a handbasket and the Bears experience a huge drop-off in their passing game. Other teams key on the run (because that's how you shut the bears down) and their run production drops as a result.

The only other consistent ball carrier for them over that time period was Adrian Peterson (the lesser) and he had averaged 5.1 and 4.1 yards per carry in the previous two seasons but he also fell to 3.4 yards a carry in 2007.

I think it just wasn't a good time to be trying to run the football in Chicago once the QB play went down the toilet. Everybody has to have some semblence of balance to their offense (everybody but Earl Campbell I guess) and so the Bears decide Benson hasn't done it for them and they draft Matt Forte. Benson starts screwing up and the Bears make the decision to release him. In the current NFL climate where bad seeds are starting to really bring heat on franchises this decision is understandable I guess. I think it was a bit hasty but hey, maybe they feel like they have it covered with Forte.

Looking at the three years objectively (or at least trying to) and then taking into consideration the excellent decision making process they have displayed in recent times where their offense is concerned what makes anyone think they necessarily got this decision right? These guys can't solve something as simple as deciding whether or not Rex Grossman should be their QB for all those years and yet we just assume that they know what they're doing with the RB's?

You could make a good argument that they've been wrong more often than they've been right over the past 8 years where RB talent has been concerned. It's a half-empty/half-full kind of argument but still, I think they gave up on Benson too soon.

Vinny
06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I just shared this with DiehardChris in a PM but it's worth sharing here since it's just my thoughts on how I look at stocking teams I guess. Ced has been a bit immature but he is still young and already lost something important to him. I think Benson is still pretty talented and this is just my personal opinion, but this league is all about managing talent. The reason why people go to see talented musicians isn't because they work hard and have risen through the pack with extreme work ethic. They go because those people have talent that is unique. Substitute you or I to sing in place of your favorite musician and I guarantee you nobody buys any tickets to the event. Building a team with good character is important because you have to be able to manage weakness in talented people when you are in the talent business...Personally I think that Ced has some great feet in short space. He may not have elite burst in his extra gear but he has everything big backs like Steven Davis had in his prime. Go look up Davis's career stats and you will see it took him 4 years to make an impact in the league and for 3 years straight he was the most productive back in the league. I think he is talented enough to take a shot at him. The Patriots are a good example on how to bring in a talented malcontent (Randy Moss). You build a high character team and structure his contract right and let that high character team peer pressure him into wanting to behave.

b0ng
06-28-2008, 12:49 PM
If the Texans can sign somebody who actually produced (Colvin) to an incentive laden contract, I don't see why Cedric Benson has to sit on the streets doing nothing.

I think he'll get signed before training camp is over (Signed anywhere, not just here), because of injuries, etc.

Actually, now that I think about it, why not give Shaun Alexander a workout too?

Dread-Head
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Many have pointed out that the Texans are in a tough division. This is true. My philosophy is simple. When faced with stiff competition you have two choices:

1. Rise to and eventually ABOVE their level. (the ideal way)

OR

2. Grab the muff-huggas by the belt, pull them down into the pit where they've relagated you and beat them into the ground. (the street way)

Like Al Davis said: "Just win baby."

texanmojo
06-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, why not give Shaun Alexander a workout too?

Because you can only bring a limited # of players into camp. How many RBs do we need in camp? I wouldn't mind giving Benson a chance...make it work heavily on incentives. If we do this...all the RBs will be busting thier butts in PS just trying to make the team. I see no harm in giving him a chance.

PapaL
06-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Najeh Davenport is now a FA.

I've always liked him. Thought we should have signed him instead of the other Dr dude (Samkon Gado).

Lucky
06-28-2008, 01:38 PM
Leonard Little was still playing wasn't he??? (I think thats the name of the guy who killed a woman and then got popped on a DWI again)
There is a double standard in this league regarding character. Turds that are good, get to keep playing. Turds who aren't that good, go unemployed. Leonard Little is good, so he gets to keep his job.

The only other consistent ball carrier for them over that time period was Adrian Peterson (the lesser) and he had averaged 5.1 and 4.1 yards per carry in the previous two seasons but he also fell to 3.4 yards a carry in 2007.
I think you make a good point that Benson's talent is somewhere between Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson (the Bears version). I would say that the Texans already have 3 or 4 RBs in that talent category. Unless there is an injury to one of the backs already on the roster, why upset the apple cart? Especially, for a guy who likely won't be available at the beginning of the season?
I think Benson is still pretty talented and this is just my personal opinion, but this league is all about managing talent.
I think where the two camps on Benson differ is talent level. Some see him as having lead back potential, other see him as JAG. Personally, I see a lot more of Ron Dayne in Benson than Stephan Davis. And if you look at the numbers last year, Ron Dayne was a tougher interior runner than Benson. Regarding character issues, yeah you make allowances for special talent. Like a Randy Moss. Benson has not shown to be a special talent.

I'm not suggesting the Texans not do their due diligence by meeting with Benson. Although I do think that had Kyle Shanahan played college ball with Shaun Alexander or Travis Henry, those guys would be getting the meeting. Considering the injury histories of Green, Brown, and Taylor, it's quite possible that the Texan may be looking at a RB by midseason. And if Benson stays out of trouble and is reinstated, he would be worth a call. But for now, I would prefer to see the guys on the current roster get their chance. They've worked hard in the offseason, and deserve the opportunity. Bringing in a guy like Benson right now sends the wrong message.

The1ApplePie
06-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Well, since Marshawn Lynch isn't getting punished at all for his hit and run, I think Benson is safe anyways.

I mean, its not like weed or dogs are involved

The Pencil Neck
06-28-2008, 02:19 PM
There is a double standard in this league regarding character. Turds that are good, get to keep playing. Turds who aren't that good, go unemployed. Leonard Little is good, so he gets to keep his job.

I don't think it's a double standard. I think it's a turd to benefit ratio. The more benefit you have, the more you can act like a turd and teams still give you a chance. If you don't provide much benefit, you've got a lot leeway for turdly behavior. OTOH, if you're making a choice between two players and player A is OK and is clean but player B is better but is not clean, player A might get a better deal than player B.

So it works out.

dalemurphy
06-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Sure, Cedric Benson has talent. I know if for three reasons:

1. He was drafted extremely high in the draft
2. Many people say that he's very talented
3. I saw him play a lot as a freshman at UT and he exhibited a lot of ablility.

It's the third reason that bothers me. He had burst and quicknes and seemed to have good vision that year. Since then, I've seen him play 6 football seasons and have rarely seen signs of that talent again. For me, that is a huge body of work to see so little from. If we bring him to camp and give him a shot, my concern is that he shows some of that ability for two or three weeks and makes the squad at the expense of Green and/or CTaylor. Then, in week 2, Ray Lewis pops him in the chin in the second quarter and he turns back into the Pilsbury Dough Boy.

b0ng
06-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Bringing in a guy like Benson right now sends the wrong message.

To me, I think the only message it sends is "We are not happy with the running backs we currently have on roster" which shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Everybody raise your hand if you think Ahman Green will have a huge turnaround. Chris Brown? Chris Taylor? Steve Slaton?

Pretty much I'll take anybody coming into training camp and playing RB for us. If bringing in people like that effect the roster limit before training camp, then I can see why you wouldn't bring them in. I don't think Cedric Benson or Shaun Alexander are better or worse than the backs we already have, and really it's not like just their actual presence in Houston during training camp is going to really hinder the team.

On the other hand I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want him in because he's JAG. But looking at our RB corps, I think that it is filled with JAGs, and another isn't going to kill us.

I do concede the roster spot argument though.

Lucky
06-28-2008, 03:37 PM
To me, I think the only message it sends is "We are not happy with the running backs we currently have on roster" which shouldn't be too much of a stretch. Everybody raise your hand if you think Ahman Green will have a huge turnaround. Chris Brown? Chris Taylor? Steve Slaton?
How does Slaton need a turnaround? Cut the guy some slack, he's never played a down in the NFL. I guess the question is, does Cedric Benson have a better chance for a huge turnaround than the Texans vets? Wouldn't he need to have at least one good season in order to have a "turnaround".

Despite their injury histories, I don't know why so many are willing to kick Green & Brown to the curb. Brown & Green have been 1000 yard rushers. Benson has not. And Green has a much higher ceiling than Benson. A healthy Ahman Green is a better inside runner, outside runner, receiver, and blocker. Benson has missed 11 games due to injuries over the past 3 seasons. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Reliable.

b0ng
06-28-2008, 03:43 PM
How does Slaton need a turnaround? Cut the guy some slack, he's never played a down in the NFL. I guess the question is, does Cedric Benson have a better chance for a huge turnaround than the Texans vets? Wouldn't he need to have at least one good season in order to have a "turnaround".

Despite their injury histories, I don't know why so many are willing to kick Green & Brown to the curb. Brown & Green have been 1000 yard rushers. Benson has not. And Green has a much higher ceiling than Benson. A healthy Ahman Green is a better inside runner, outside runner, receiver, and blocker. Benson has missed 11 games due to injuries over the past 3 seasons. He hasn't exactly been Mr. Reliable.

I assume you know what I meant by bringing up my poor communication of ideas. No Steve Slaton, doesn't need a turnaround, but he is a rookie none the less.

I'm not trying to kick anybody to the curb, but healthy competition never hurt anybody.

EDIT: Just to clarify so nobody gets the wrong idea. I think Ahman Green and Chris Brown would do well to have healthy competition from other running backs that currently don't have ajob in the league. No, I don't want to "kick them to the curb" but they haven't done much for me lately, and if they were to lose their job to a motivated running back who was highly touted and just lost their job, I wouldn't shed a tear.

Texans_Chick
06-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I just shared this with DiehardChris in a PM but it's worth sharing here since it's just my thoughts on how I look at stocking teams I guess. Ced has been a bit immature but he is still young and already lost something important to him. I think Benson is still pretty talented and this is just my personal opinion, but this league is all about managing talent. The reason why people go to see talented musicians isn't because they work hard and have risen through the pack with extreme work ethic. They go because those people have talent that is unique. Substitute you or I to sing in place of your favorite musician and I guarantee you nobody buys any tickets to the event. Building a team with good character is important because you have to be able to manage weakness in talented people when you are in the talent business...Personally I think that Ced has some great feet in short space. He may not have elite burst in his extra gear but he has everything big backs like Steven Davis had in his prime. Go look up Davis's career stats and you will see it took him 4 years to make an impact in the league and for 3 years straight he was the most productive back in the league. I think he is talented enough to take a shot at him. The Patriots are a good example on how to bring in a talented malcontent (Randy Moss). You build a high character team and structure his contract right and let that high character team peer pressure him into wanting to behave.

Well said.

When Kubiak first came to the team, the team wouldn't have been able to take on a player like this very easily because the entire lockerroom was a mess as far as leadership and preparation was concerned. Having a lockerroom full of guys who love football and don't just do the minimum.

I think he has the lockerroom where he wants them to be, and he is going to add people who he thinks will help and can humble themselves to the demands of the game. I think they are now in position to take some chances, as oppose to a situation like ATL where it is still pretty much chaos and they are trying to get rid of bad actors.

Texans_Chick
06-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Not that I can speak for her, but she may mean that he could end up with jail time on top of the NFL suspension for the charges. One punishment being work related and the other being because of being convicted in a court of law.

Yup. That's what I meant.

From just looking at the charges from afar, it is hard to figure out what the legal punishment will be.

I think a decent lawyer could beat down the BWI charge in Austin. Questionable arrest, lots of witnesses disputing the polices version of events, etc. Prosecutors might want that to go away.

As for Chicago DWI, that's more difficult. I don't know the details, but they sound bad, and the locals are unfond of Benson (biggest draft bust ever for the Bears? Chicago people don't like that so much).

CloakNNNdagger
06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
I assume you know what I meant by bringing up my poor communication of ideas. No Steve Slaton, doesn't need a turnaround, but he is a rookie none the less.

I'm not trying to kick anybody to the curb, but healthy competition never hurt anybody.

That may be true........but this is technically a matter of unhealthy competition. :gun:

Lucky
06-28-2008, 04:07 PM
As for Chicago DWI, that's more difficult. I don't know the details, but they sound bad, and the locals are unfond of Benson (biggest draft bust ever for the Bears? Chicago people don't like that so much).

Benson's DWI arrest was in Austin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3430752).

Cedric Benson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=7180)'s rocky relationship with the Chicago Bears (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=chi) got murkier Saturday after the running back's arrest on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, his second arrest in little more than a month.Maybe Benson beats one or both of the charges. I just haven't heard a good explanation as to why a team would bring Benson aboard until that happens.

b0ng
06-28-2008, 04:22 PM
That may be true........but this is technically a matter of unhealthy competition. :gun:

Actually the competition is at it's most healthy before the season begins

ObsiWan
06-28-2008, 07:11 PM
it makes no sense to me.
I just don't see what Benson brings to the table that we don't already have in Taylor.
And if we didn't believe Green/Brown/Walker/Taylor were the answer, why pass on Mendenhall?

Rick Smith must think he can bring Benson in on the cheap. Otherwise, why bother?

And again, with the 80 player camp limit, who gets dumped so we can take a peek at this guy?

TexansFanatic
06-28-2008, 08:50 PM

You're right, but....

Emmitt Smith ran behind the Cowboys line. Does that make him less than special?

dalemurphy
06-28-2008, 09:32 PM
You're right, but....

Emmitt Smith ran behind the Cowboys line. Does that make him less than special?

NO... Check out what Emmitt Smith did in college!

Overalls
06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Actually the competition is at it's most healthy before the season begins

I guess that is my problem with our running backs. I feel like I have been burned by them the last two seasons. Maybe it was just me but I thought DD/W was going to come back. The running game crashed without him. Then last season I had high hopes for Ahman but still it was "The Dayne Train" to the rescue. I may be being too pesimistic but I do not have faith in any of our running backs and no I would not be more hopeful if we brought in Benson. Half a Green and half a Brown does not neccesarily equate to one whole RB. What happens if Green goes down in week one and Brown goes down in week 3. We are back to hoping some one who hasn't proven a thing running the ball. I haven't seen enough of Taylor or Walker to say that either one will be able to step up and be "the man". I like the Slayton pick but untill he plays a down we don't know what we got. We all know that just because a RB did well in college it doesn't mean he will be able to run the ball on the NFL level. We can all hope that this is the year that the injury bug doesn't bite us in the rear end but history is not on our side. As I said before I am not going to sweat what happens with Benson. If he is signed and if he makes the team, one of the other backs won't be here come week one of the season. However for him to do that he would have to play better than one of them. If he plays better than one of them, that makes the team better. I am ok with giving everything a chance to sort itself out in training camp.

:fans:

El Tejano
06-29-2008, 12:38 AM
I tend to think a change of scenery might help Benson. Especially if that team has his former college teammate (K. Studdard) and former highschool teammate (E.Winston). I mean that could help him probably, along with real pros like Ahman Green.

As far as fitting the system, he may be what our staff is looking for in a RB. First of all, he has playoff experience. Then, he was also pretty good in a two back system where he shared the load in Chicago. That right there might be something we need if we have the lead in the 4th and need to churn out yards to move the chains. Finally, many say he wont fit our system but every run I've seen him in shows he has the one cut and go style necessary for the ZBS. Not only that but when you see what Selvin Young did in the ZBS while coming directly from the zone read that Texas ran, why wouldn't you think Benson could do more damage?

mexican_texan
06-29-2008, 02:06 AM
I never thought Benson was any special. To be honest, UT hasn't had a RB that impressed me in a while. Their line is pretty underrated.

ATXtexanfan
06-29-2008, 02:38 AM
benson sucks, that's all there is to it. it must be nice to be in the same backfield as black jesus (VY). go back and look at the top ten of that draft and it was one the worst in history. what does that have to say about his draft status. benson should give half of signing bonus to vince and say "thank you for making me look like something i wasn't"

CloakNNNdagger
06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
You know it's strange to me that this rumor has taken such legs here in Houston to the point that I've come across references on the net to our MB concerning this subject. Nowhere, during this entire time have I seen even the inkling of a hint of this from a primary source. If supposition is all that has been presented thus far, it would seem much more likely that Bensen's new home would end up being in Dallas where Jerry's apparently casting for The Longest Yard part II.:thinking:

Texans_Chick
06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Benson's DWI arrest was in Austin (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3430752).

Maybe Benson beats one or both of the charges. I just haven't heard a good explanation as to why a team would bring Benson aboard until that happens.

Thanks for clarifying. I don't know why I thought it was Chicago.

If he has a good lawyer, with these fact as stated in your article, he can likely beat both of these charges.

Texans_Chick
06-29-2008, 10:13 AM
You know it's strange to me that this rumor has taken such legs here in Houston to the point that I've come across references on the net to our MB concerning this subject. Nowhere, during this entire time have I seen even the inkling of a hint of this from a primary source. If supposition is all that has been presented thus far, it would seem much more likely that Bensen's new home would end up being in Dallas where Jerry's apparently casting for The Longest Yard part II.:thinking:

A number of media sources have suggested that Ced Benson would want to come back to Texas (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-10-haugh-chicagojun10,0,7851667.story). Houston has more of a need than Dallas.

And then two MB members state that he is in town and is going to be talking to the Texans.

I have little doubt that he is interested in coming here. The question is whether the Texans will show interest back.

CloakNNNdagger
06-29-2008, 12:02 PM
A number of media sources have suggested that Ced Benson would want to come back to Texas (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-10-haugh-chicagojun10,0,7851667.story). Houston has more of a need than Dallas.

And then two MB members state that he is in town and is going to be talking to the Texans.

I have little doubt that he is interested in coming here. The question is whether the Texans will show interest back.

TC,

I'm not saying that Benson is not in town, nor am I saying that he's not interested in the Texans. I am saying though, in all due respect to the MB sources (who may be right on), there are no primary sources for these rumors.

I came across the article that was quoted above right after it was release, but if you look at the wording, it's just another sports writer offering his own personal supposition:

Cornwell and Benson's agent, Eugene Parker, now have the task of finding employment for a running back coming off ankle surgery, two alcohol-related arrests and enough baggage to need a valet. Somebody will sign Benson, whether it's the familiar Houston Texans or the halfway home for troubled millionaires known as the Dallas Cowboys. First-round draft picks always get second, and sometimes third chances in the NFL.

If Benson gets off of and past his somewhat questionable recent court proceedings, I would have no problems with testing the waters with a potentially valuable addition to our running stable........IF a low risk deal is attained with a serious laying down of the law prior to a signing.

The question that you posed at the end of your post would be the same that I share in that it would be the first time that the Texans would be extending their hand to a very troubled young man. If it does happen, the Texans will have come to terms with a new-found solidified team stability, which has come with a long-awaited evolution of team maturity.

thunderkyss
06-29-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm slow, I admit. But I'm coming around to this kind of thinking.

Pretty much I'll take anybody coming into training camp and playing RB for us. If bringing in people like that effect the roster limit before training camp, then I can see why you wouldn't bring them in. I don't think Cedric Benson or Shaun Alexander are better or worse than the backs we already have, and really it's not like just their actual presence in Houston during training camp is going to really hinder the team.

I see a bit of a difference here. Our coaches probably don't believe Alexander has anything left in the tank. But you bring in a young'n with something to prove..... maybe Ahman Green will play through some of those nagging quad injusries or what not. Maybe Chris Brown... just don't make the team.

Hervoyel
06-29-2008, 06:28 PM
I think you make a good point that Benson's talent is somewhere between Thomas Jones and Adrian Peterson (the Bears version). I would say that the Texans already have 3 or 4 RBs in that talent category. Unless there is an injury to one of the backs already on the roster, why upset the apple cart? Especially, for a guy who likely won't be available at the beginning of the season?

Well, why go to the trouble of keeping the apple cart all settled down and calm just for the benefit of a guy who likely won't be available at the end of the season (Green)? I'd say Ahman Green in the twilight of his career is one of those 3-4 guys you point to and I'd say that he's more likely to give you nothing in return for the money you spend on him every year he sticks around. Ahman isn't Ron Dayne (in the respect that he's an older back with few miles on him), he's got miles and he's got a bona fide history of injury.

I think the following. Chris Taylor is I believe going to his last Texans training camp unless he really busts out in this system and turns into some kind of "out of nowhere" monster. The exact same thing applies to Darius Walker. Chris Brown is the designated starter when Ahman Green can't go and Ahman Green is a handful of missed practices and maybe one MRI away from being out of the league. Slaton is going to make the team regardless.

I think they keep 4 running backs and those guys are Green, Brown, Slaton, and the better of Walker/Taylor UNLESS they sign Benson in which case they're going to be Brown, Benson, Slaton, and Walker/Taylor (not much of a prediction I know). If they go with just 3 backs then both Walker and Taylor are done.

We will all of course go with the decision that the Texans arrive at and I think we're all good with that. The people who want to see Benson given a shot here are all of the opinion that if the Texans don't give him a look then they probably had a good reason to pass. The guys who don't see the point in it or who think it's a bad move will still wait and see if the Texans knew something they didn't once the man signs a contract.

Additionally.

I like how this thread has developed and how it's stayed very civil and on-topic. I'm getting a sense that the fans (at least the ones I talk to regularly) have their trust in the franchise back. You don't see the kind of frustration and anger in this debate that you did with things like "Reggie/Vince" or "Ocho Stinko, extend him or let him go?" or even "2 second rounders for Matt Schaub?". 8-8 and some hope did wonders for the football talk around here didn't it?

thunderkyss
06-29-2008, 07:48 PM
I think they keep 4 running backs and those guys are Green, Brown, Slaton, and the better of Walker/Taylor UNLESS they sign Benson in which case they're going to be Brown, Benson, Slaton, and Walker/Taylor (not much of a prediction I know). If they go with just 3 backs then both Walker and Taylor are done.

IF the texans are really talking to Benson, I'd bet it's related more to Chris Browns position on this team than anything else. Green is our big money back. He's the starter, and the one we expect the most from. He's on this team, because we paid so much money for him, and would take a big hit in terms of salary cap & dead money if he stays.

Chris Brown, is the "veteran" backup. Taylor, Walker & Slaton are all the future, the developmental backs. Because of their age & talent, we're going to keep them around.

Chris Brown more or less took Ron Dayne's place on this team. However, because of injury issues, he doesn't really satisfy that role very well. But, since Dayne wasn't exactly the model of health, that was pretty much a wash. We got younger, and more talented at that backup veteran spot.

Now if Benson can show that he does want to play football, and that he's got his act together, Brown won't make it past training camp.

CloakNNNdagger
06-29-2008, 08:33 PM
IF the texans are really talking to Benson, I'd bet it's related more to Chris Browns position on this team than anything else. Green is our big money back. He's the starter, and the one we expect the most from. He's on this team, because we paid so much money for him, and would take a big hit in terms of salary cap & dead money if he stays.

Chris Brown, is the "veteran" backup. Taylor, Walker & Slaton are all the future, the developmental backs. Because of their age & talent, we're going to keep them around.

Chris Brown more or less took Ron Dayne's place on this team. However, because of injury issues, he doesn't really satisfy that role very well. But, since Dayne wasn't exactly the model of health, that was pretty much a wash. We got younger, and more talented at that backup veteran spot.

Now if Benson can show that he does want to play football, and that he's got his act together, Brown won't make it past training camp.

I really have no problems with either your or Hevoyel's analyses, but my feeling is that, as strange as it may seem, the only guaranteed spot is that of Slaton. There are too many variables that will shake themselves out by the end of TC including ZBS fit , surprise performances either good or bad, or (un)expected early injury(ies) to make predictions anything but a crap shoot.............but your thoughts are certainly interesting ones.:winky:

TexanBacker93
06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
I really have no problems with either your or Hevoyel's analyses, but my feeling is that, as strange as it may seem, the only guaranteed spot is that of Slaton. There are too many variables that will shake themselves out by the end of TC including ZBS fit , surprise performances either good or bad, or (un)expected early injury(ies) to make predictions anything but a crap shoot.............but your thoughts are certainly interesting ones.:winky:

I agree that Slaton is the only one that is assured of a spot. Even though Green would be a small cap hit to cut the Texans don't seem to be so close to the cap that it would cripple them.

Polo
06-29-2008, 10:26 PM
I doubt Benson would be broughtin to be a third back...

Can he play special teams ?

Specnatz
06-29-2008, 10:27 PM

While agree in principal about some teams being able to control a bad character, like Moss. But you have to take into account that the Patriots also had a lot of proven leaders on the team, and a SuperBowl Trophy in the show case. A lot easier to have that control on proven teams with proven leaders. The Texans are a team on the rise we do not have those leaders with proven credintials that way sway someone from doing stupid things.

Well, since Marshawn Lynch isn't getting punished at all for his hit and run, I think Benson is safe anyways.

I mean, its not like weed or dogs are involved

Lynch just changed his plea this past week and I do not think he has been sentenced as of yet. Either that or he just was. Goodell has not shown a tendency to act rash in handing out suspensions. Heck it took qubert 6 arrest or incidents before Gooddell did anything. Now once camp begins and Lynch is not suspended I will then agree with you.

El Tejano
06-29-2008, 10:51 PM
While agree in principal about some teams being able to control a bad character, like Moss. But you have to take into account that the Patriots also had a lot of proven leaders on the team, and a SuperBowl Trophy in the show case. A lot easier to have that control on proven teams with proven leaders. The Texans are a team on the rise we do not have those leaders with proven credintials that way sway someone from doing stupid things.

Rosevelt Colvin, Kubiak, R. Smith all have rings. Ahman, AJ, Demeco all have Pro Bowls. Combine that with a young group who everyone says is hungry and I think you have a good place to be.

TexanSam
06-29-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey! Our thread/discussion found it's way onto a blog! Cool

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/texans/11805

PapaL
06-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Hey! Our thread/discussion found it's way onto a blog! Cool

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/texans/11805

You see the comment from RedskinFan21ST:

"Maybe it will keep him from drinking drunk also."

:specnatz:

El Tejano
06-30-2008, 09:14 AM
I think Ced could get his stuff together here.

Polo
06-30-2008, 09:29 AM

I doubt it.

Ahman Green is an old dog trying to learn a new trick.

Forget about big names; If anything the ZBS has shown that it can thrive without big name backs...

Chris Brown is younger, more physical, and knows the system...

Besides all that, this F.O. has shown that their #1 goal is to get better...To this point they haven't let bad P.R., public perception, Dead Money, and "Big Names" get in the way of their decision making process so why would that come into play now ?

Goldensilence
06-30-2008, 09:40 AM

I think Green is the guy that would most likely get cut myself. The mind can be willing but if the body is unable to that's a beast all in itself. I'm just not sure even a healthy Ahman Green at this point could beat Brown in TC for the starter spot, but that's just my opinion, and that assumes he's can make it through as well. I'd rather take his cap hit then have him sit on the bench injured again this season and at least a guy like Walker could give some production. IMO after last season I'm not expecting anything from Green.

The back I am expecting production from strangely is Slaton. I'm not saying high end production but I think he can have a solid rookie campaign overall.

Far as Benson goes I'd love to have him sign on. I thought from the get go it was a bad place for him and a bad situation.Back home in Texas, humbled and in front of family and friends again might be the thing to help jump start his career. I think if we engineer a deal close to Colvin's there's no real cap concern either.

TexanBacker93
06-30-2008, 09:48 AM
I almost wouldn't mind it if Green had just gone on the IR. If the guy can't practice each week its an impossible call whether to make him active or not. Do you keep another active RB in case he decides he can't go? Do you just go with 3 and be in a bind if Green can't go. If Benson were to join the team I would rather see Green go than the others.

El Tejano
06-30-2008, 09:54 AM
So we've heard from D.Ryans that the guy that looks the most impressive in our running game is Chris Brown. Has anyone entertained the thought of Chris Brown looking so good that he could supplant Ahman Green as that veteran presence the team needs in the back field? I mean, if Chris Brown starts looking so good wouldn't that make Green expendable? And would you really want that expensive of a back up in Ahman Green? Maybe Chris Brown is looking good and the thought of being able to get a cheap RB like Benson as back up would be a more entertaining thought and would continue the young nucleus of the team.

Sal Rosenberg
06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
So we've heard from D.Ryans that the guy that looks the most impressive in our running game is Chris Brown. Has anyone entertained the thought of Chris Brown looking so good that he could supplant Ahman Green as that veteran presence the team needs in the back field? I mean, if Chris Brown starts looking so good wouldn't that make Green expendable? And would you really want that expensive of a back up in Ahman Green? Maybe Chris Brown is looking good and the thought of being able to get a cheap RB like Benson as back up would be a more entertaining thought and would continue the young nucleus of the team.

AMEN!

Mr teX
06-30-2008, 11:06 AM

I think people are sleeping on Chris Brown, the guy is good IMO & he's still relatively young (only 27) & has shown flashes in the 2 seasons he was the unquestioned starter. I just think that he doesn't fit the prototypical NFL Rb mold of a 300+ carry guy. I think if we can keep him at about 14 - 15 carries a game (220 -250 per 16 games), we can keep him healthy & he'll be a solid producer in the running game for us. The question is, who do we give his other 100 carries to? the obvious answer money wise is green, but i'd like to see taylor/slaton get some of that action as Kubiak is high on Taylor & this would allow slaton to get his feet wet.

I'm not sure where benson would fit in in all of this unless he's willing to be that meat tenderizer type runner that he was at UT. In that case Green is outta here, Throw Slaton & Taylor on special teams & we'd be ready to roll as CB the starter & Benson the back up.

Texecutioner
06-30-2008, 11:49 AM

That's ridiculous. I'm as big of a Longhorn fan as it gets, and Benson has done nothing but embarrass UT. Fans and players in Chicago consider Benson to be a flat out joke. Now in Austin, many seem to forget how many times that Texas coaches and alums got Benson out of trouble and also kept him out of headlines and did really good damage control. I know quite a few people that were good friends with Benson personally, and since he was in college all I've heard was what a huge weed smoker the guy is and was all those years at UT.

Since the NFL all he has done is disappoint on and off the field. There aren't many UT fans giving him support anymore and I'm one of them. I don't give players who screw up over and over passes just because they played for my team. Benson is an *****.

El Tejano
06-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I think people are sleeping on Chris Brown, the guy is good IMO & he's still relatively young (only 27) & has shown flashes in the 2 seasons he was the unquestioned starter. I just think that he doesn't fit the prototypical NFL Rb mold of a 300+ carry guy. I think if we can keep him at about 14 - 15 carries a game (220 -250 per 16 games), we can keep him healthy & he'll be a solid producer in the running game for us. The question is, who do we give his other 100 carries to? the obvious answer money wise is green, but i'd like to see taylor/slaton get some of that action as Kubiak is high on Taylor & this would allow slaton to get his feet wet.

I'm not sure where benson would fit in in all of this unless he's willing to be that meat tenderizer type runner that he was at UT. In that case Green is outta here, Throw Slaton & Taylor on special teams & we'd be ready to roll as CB the starter & Benson the back up.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I think there could be a chance that Ahman really hasn't shown a whole lot and as someone stated before this may be one of those insurance policy type signings identical to Quinn Gray. You have to have a good back up plan if either Brown or Green go down when the pads come on. Otherwise your stuck with 3 guys, one who has had a previous injury before in Chris Taylor and the other two are still wet behind the ears.

Vinnie
06-30-2008, 11:52 AM
That's ridiculous. I'm as big of a Longhorn fan as it gets, and Benson has done nothing but embarrass UT. Fans and players in Chicago consider Benson to be a flat out joke. Now in Austin, many seem to forget how many times that Texas coaches and alums got Benson out of trouble and also kept him out of headlines and did really good damage control. I know quite a few people that were good friends with Benson personally, and since he was in college all I've heard was what a huge weed smoker the guy is and was all those years at UT.

Since the NFL all he has done is disappoint on and off the field. There aren't many UT fans giving him support anymore and I'm one of them. I don't give players who screw up over and over passes just because they played for my team. Benson is an *****.

I think he meant it as this. :sarcasm:

DiehardChris
06-30-2008, 11:53 AM

It makes sense that Chris Brown looked like the best RB in OTAs.

1. He's played for Gibbs before, and knows the true ZBS better than any of the others in the short time that the RBs got to work in the new system.

2. No pads, no contact.

Now - if Ryans says that after training camp - I'd be a little more surprised and excited.

Texecutioner
06-30-2008, 12:05 PM
I can't even believe that I am going to post what I'm about to write.

This post, and others like it in the thread, assumes that young guys will never grow up, or mature. Some will, some won't. Kubiak and Rick Smith are aware of all the problems that Benson has been involved with, perhaps better than many, given their connections. If they talk with him, spend some time with him, and come to the conclusion that he's worth taking a chance on, I'd have to trust their judgment. Sure, Benson did some bonehead things in Austin. He didn't act like a pro or prepare like a pro in Chicago. He hasn't even honored his own God-given talent.

Believe it or not, though, some people do wake up. It's up to Kubiak and Smith to figure out if Benson has, and if they determine that he might have, what level of risk they're willing to take for him. I'll trust them both, because they've earned it.

Some people wake up? Yeah, guys that screw up once or twice maybe, but not guys who get two DWI's in less than a month. That first boat ordeal was incredibly embarrassing for Benson with the whole story and the mugshot and pictures and all. That should have easily been enough to make this guy wake up, but not even a month later he was back in the can for the same thing.

And on top of all of this Benson has not looked good one season of his career yet, so what are you talking bout really? He has not shown anything to support the fact that he might be able to turn it around on or off the field. He doesn't have any moves, he doesn't block well, he can't catch, he's not a HR hitter, or a move the chains kind of guy either. He's been a worthless RB that has been way overpaid and that's about it.

If the Texans are seriously thinking about wasting time with a guy that has only proven that he sucks, then that is ridiculous. I'd much rather see the Texans give Travis Henry a shot or even Sean Alexander. At least both of them have had good productive seasons, and Sean has had fantastic seasons. Sean is washed up, and I don't want him either but he has proven that he can be a productive runner when healthy while Benson is still young and still CAN"T DO IT. Henry has had his share of problems as well, but hasn't had recent ones like two DWI's in a month. He was also leading the AFC in rushing yards last year before he got hurt, and has had quite a few nice seasons. Yes, he's had his share of problems as well, but at least he's been a productive back when healthy as well.

If the Texans want to take a chance on a guy with legal problem, then at least take a chance on a guy that has proven that he can play at the NFL level. Benson has only proven that he CAN"T get it done even on a team that was a RUN FIRST kind of offense. If a guy like Jones could look as good as he did in Chicago, and Benson looked as bad he did, then why on earth would anyone think that he could come to a team that has had a worse running game than his previous team and start moving the chains? Sorry, but there is not one fact or shred of evidence to logically consider that he might become a good RB. He's not some one year player. He's already played 3 years now, and has been awful. He's already proven that he isn't any good and even a great O line which the Texans don't currently have wouldn't help him much either.

CloakNNNdagger
06-30-2008, 12:23 PM
He doesn't have any moves, he doesn't block well, he can't catch, he's not a HR hitter, or a move the chains kind of guy either. He's been a worthless RB that has been way overpaid and that's about it.

Texecutioner,

If, indeed, this is true and he has come to realize it, then that's probably enough to explain WHY he drinks and smokes weed..............to wash away his reality.:embarrass

beerlover
06-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Gibbs would really have to "push" for Cedric to become a Texan. Do y'all think "talent" suddenly overcomes mental toughness needed to appesse coach Gibbs? (tough but fair criticism, all workout programs, blocking assingments & off the clock regulations) :cool:

Texecutioner
06-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Texecutioner,

If, indeed, this is true and he has come to realize it, then that's probably enough to explain WHY he drinks and smokes weed..............to wash away his reality.:embarrass

Well all you have to do is watch film of him for the last three years and check the stat book. It is a PROVEN truth.

And as far as the drinking and smoking weed, he was doing that throughout his entire college career. None of this stuff is new. Not even the arrests. It's just now, he doesn't have Austin Alums and coaching staff getting him out of trouble and BIG headlines. He was able to smoke and drink all of the time in college and still be a great player, but the NFL is a man's game where a guy like Benson can't be good without working really hard and studying film to prepare himself. It's just not that easy like it was in college when you play behind a great O line at Texas and play against a lot of sub-par BIG 12 defenses that aren't that great.

You know if he was able to show some great natural ability here and there since coming into the NFL, then maybe I could understand giving him a shot or having some sort of faith in him turning his career around, but I haven't seen ANYTHING IMPRESSIVE at all since he came to the NFL. He just hasn't looked good at all, and I have been a huge Benson fan since his Freshman year in college when I would curse the television when Mack Brown wasn't playing him enough. But since he came into the league, there hasn't been one thing that he could do well. Not one. So, I don't think it's really an issue of him not working that hard or getting into trouble, he's just not that good and little bad habits as a runner have only gotten worse since he got into the league. He developed a really bad stumbling problem his Senior year in college which stopped him from turning a few 10 to 12 yard plays into 50 to 60 yard TD's. Last year every single time I saw the Bears playing Benson was stumbling all over the field and falling short of extra yards, but only this time he wasn't falling short of TD plays, he was falling short of simple first downs.

Personally I'd love to see Benson turn it around and become what people thought he would be, but it aint gonna happen. The guy just isn't up to par with the rest of the successful RB's in the league.

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 01:17 PM
Here's my write up on it (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/30/cedric-benson-to-houston-texans-rumors/). Including a good link from Keith from HPF his new Texans website.

As for getting two DWI arrests in short order, here's my view of this as a lawyer.

Once you have got a DWI arrest for anything, every time you get pulled over after that for a traffic offense, you are likely going to be asked to do field sobriety tests. The police will run your record in their car, and decide that you may be a risk.

Field sobriety tests are garbage. They are performed because a lot of people, including Ced Benson refuse to do the breathalyzer. I would probably refuse a breath test too, even if I had only one drink because I think those machines are garbage too.

We do not know whether Ced was driving while intoxicated. That whole innocent before proven guilty stuff that we crazy Americans are supposed to believe (except that Goodell guy).

The bigger problem that Ced has is that he has never realized what trouble he is in. That once you get a reputation for immaturity and partying, whether deserved or undeserved, you have to go out of your way not to appear like a partier. And you have to affirmatively show what a hard worker you are and how serious you are about your job.

He didn't get that. Whether he understands that now is possibly a different story. Nobody would take his relatively small contract off waivers. Now it is a question about whether he can get anyone to believe that he is going to do things the right way. To try to take that target off his back by not only not partying, but by not doing anything that could possibly appear to be partying--like social drinking, or staying out late.

Porky
06-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Here's my write up on it (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/30/cedric-benson-to-houston-texans-rumors/). Including a good link from Keith from HPF his new Texans website.

As for getting two DWI arrests in short order, here's my view of this as a lawyer.

Once you have got a DWI arrest for anything, every time you get pulled over after that for a traffic offense, you are likely going to be asked to do field sobriety tests. The police will run your record in their car, and decide that you may be a risk.

Field sobriety tests are garbage. They are performed because a lot of people, including Ced Benson refuse to do the breathalyzer. I would probably refuse a breath test too, even if I had only one drink because I think those machines are garbage too.

We do not know whether Ced was driving while intoxicated. That whole innocent before proven guilty stuff that we crazy Americans are supposed to believe (except that Goodell guy).

The bigger problem that Ced has is that he has never realized what trouble he is in. That once you get a reputation for immaturity and partying, whether deserved or undeserved, you have to go out of your way not to appear like a partier. And you have to affirmatively show what a hard worker you are and how serious you are about your job.

He didn't get that. Whether he understands that now is possibly a different story. Nobody would take his relatively small contract off waivers. Now it is a question about whether he can get anyone to believe that he is going to do things the right way. To try to take that target off his back by not only not partying, but by not doing anything that could possibly appear to be partying--like social drinking, or staying out late.

I like ya a whole bunch, but I gotta tell you that sounds like typical lawyer garbage to me. I have been driving for darn near 30 years, and never once have been asked to do a field sobriety test. This guy obvisouely has a problem, and as texecustioner has stated, it's not a new one.

I really don't see what this guy adds. He hasn't proven one darn thing, and I'm not sure he has the skills to succeed in a ZBS anyway. Sounds to me like he is a whole lot more trouble than he is worth. I say pass.

eriadoc
06-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I like ya a whole bunch, but I gotta tell you that sounds like typical lawyer garbage to me. I have been driving for darn near 30 years, and never once have been asked to do a field sobriety test. This guy obvisouely has a problem, and as texecustioner has stated, it's not a new one.

I really don't see what this guy adds. He hasn't proven one darn thing, and I'm not sure he has the skills to succeed in a ZBS anyway. Sounds to me like he is a whole lot more trouble than he is worth. I say pass.

But have you ever had a DWI?

Once you have got a DWI arrest for anything, every time you get pulled over after that for a traffic offense, you are likely going to be asked to do field sobriety tests.

infantrycak
06-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I like ya a whole bunch, but I gotta tell you that sounds like typical lawyer garbage to me. I have been driving for darn near 30 years, and never once have been asked to do a field sobriety test.

Just to throw something out there factually. Benson wasn't even driving when he was arrested the first time. He was anchored in a cove where folks commonly go party. The cops did a "safety inspection" to get on board since there had obviously been no visible boating activity and decided to give him a field sobriety test on the boat. Don't know about the 2nd arrest, but the first one wasn't like he was out driving drunk and got pulled or obvious impairment.

Porky
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Just to throw something out there factually. Benson wasn't even driving when he was arrested the first time. He was anchored in a cove where folks commonly go party. The cops did a "safety inspection" to get on board since there had obviously been no visible boating activity and decided to give him a field sobriety test on the boat. Don't know about the 2nd arrest, but the first one wasn't like he was out driving drunk and got pulled or obvious impairment.

Oh ok, I didn't realize that. Nevertheless, I for one am not going to kiss this skunk just because he is living in my tree. I call a skunk a skunk, and he stinks to high heavens!

dalemurphy
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Oh ok, I didn't realize that. Nevertheless, I for one am not going to kiss this skunk just because he is living in my tree. I call a skunk a skunk, and he stinks to high heavens!

More to the point, though, is the fact that he has alienated his teammates and his on-field performance has been quite poor. He's just a name. He's been an awful NFL back- and he doesn't fill a niche... he's not a good 3rd down back, not a good short yardage back, and he's not a homerun hitter.

NO THANKS!

Dean 74
06-30-2008, 03:06 PM
so, is this guy comming or not?

Vinnie
06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
so, is this guy comming or not?

I'm guessing not. I spoke to a guy that coached Kubiak in high school the other day after I read this thread to see what he thinks, and he said Benson has a snowball's chance in hell of playing for the Texans as long as Gary is coaching. Granted that's just his opinion but he knows Gary pretty well.

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 05:03 PM

Clearly, even beyond these two events, there are questions about Benson's maturity level. The Texans aren't keen on players who think that they are above the game and that don't have to respect it.

Benson could end up one of those guys who falls out of the league because he was too immature to deal. Or he can be humbled by all the events that have happened, see his dream evaporating, and then go the cut your dreads, become more low key, be a monk way of staying in the NFL.

The Texans front office staff has tons of connection to the UT staff. So they will pretty much know if they think Benson is worth a flyer or not.

DiehardChris
06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Here. (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/30/cedric-to-texans/)

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, literally - the guy at PFT is posting the story, through Steph's Fanhouse article... based on a message board rumor.

I thought this deserved its own thread... please, mods - move it to the previous thread if you disagree... but I started this thread more about the fact that the complete and total rumor with no basis, no back-up - nothing - is now "out there" because of our little message board. Heh.

Does anyone else have a completely and totally unfounded, wildly-speculated, zero basis for fact rumor that they want to get picked up by a hugely popular NFL site?

drewmar74
06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Clearly, even beyond these two events, there are questions about Benson's maturity level. The Texans aren't keen on players who think that they are above the game and that don't have to respect it.

Benson could end up one of those guys who falls out of the league because he was too immature to deal. Or he can be humbled by all the events that have happened, see his dream evaporating, and then go the cut your dreads, become more low key, be a monk way of staying in the NFL.

The Texans front office staff has tons of connection to the UT staff. So they will pretty much know if they think Benson is worth a flyer or not.

Hey, check it out Stephanie! You were cited on PFT's rumor mill....

CEDRIC TO TEXANS?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2008, 3:47 p.m.
There are rumors on the grapevine, courtesy of AOL’s FanHouse, that the Houston Texans might eventually take a chance on former Texas tailback Cedric Benson.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, was cut earlier this month by the Bears. Benson thereafter cleared waivers, and has drawn no interest on the open market.

As Stephanie Stradley of FanHouse points out, the team’s current depth chart at the position doesn’t inspire feelings of awe or wonder. (We still like what rookie Steve Slaton of WVU might be able to do in a one-cut, zone-blocking scheme, if he can get back to hitting the hole and turning on the jets.)

Still, Benson isn’t exactly an upgrade, given his performances during his NFL career. Absent proof that he has learned his lesson, and that he otherwise plans to lift weights and run hard and all that crap, it might be a risk not worth taking.

I thought that was pretty cool but does it make you a rumor mongerer?

DiehardChris
06-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Here's my thing. I've said it before, and I've put many other words to it - but cut and dry:

Two alcohol arrests in a month. You think the first was BS? Fine. The second one still shows that he is not smart, and that he doesn't care about football. Kubes and Smith could turn him around, sure - and I'm sure we have other mental midgets on the Texans... but how much of an immature child are you if you can't keep yourself from driving drunk a month after... being arrested for being drunk?

gary
06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
TC is coming soon shouldn't we be hearing something about Benson?

Goldensilence
06-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Comparisons to other athletes come to mind atm who have had brushes with the law. I'm guessing at this point the difference is NFL production. If Benson had that we'd still be talking about multiple teams interested in him.

Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you really understand what it takes. Has Cedric hit this point? I guess only people close to him could tell us that for sure. I don't think his time in the NFL is done yet and he'll probably have a suitor or two by the time TC opens up(of the top of my head I'd say Cleveland and Arizona could use some experience in their backfield). In the mean time I hope he is still training and well into playing shape for a second shot.

I'd love for it to be here but I don't see it happening.

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 05:24 PM
Hey, check it out Stephanie! You were cited on PFT's rumor mill....

CEDRIC TO TEXANS?
Posted by Mike Florio on June 30, 2008, 3:47 p.m.
There are rumors on the grapevine, courtesy of AOLís FanHouse, that the Houston Texans might eventually take a chance on former Texas tailback Cedric Benson.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in the 2005 draft, was cut earlier this month by the Bears. Benson thereafter cleared waivers, and has drawn no interest on the open market.

As Stephanie Stradley of FanHouse points out, the teamís current depth chart at the position doesnít inspire feelings of awe or wonder. (We still like what rookie Steve Slaton of WVU might be able to do in a one-cut, zone-blocking scheme, if he can get back to hitting the hole and turning on the jets.)

Still, Benson isnít exactly an upgrade, given his performances during his NFL career. Absent proof that he has learned his lesson, and that he otherwise plans to lift weights and run hard and all that crap, it might be a risk not worth taking.

I thought that was pretty cool but does it make you a rumor mongerer?

That's why people go to PFT. They want to know what people are talking about. And this is one of the things Texans fans are talking about.

I have no problem if it is things are labled as rumor.

/monger monger

//minor minor sidepoint. Note that there hasn't been a statement from Bob McNair saying he wouldn't take a player like Benson, as there was when Terrell Owens was available. Probably means nothing, and maybe that sort of statement is around the corner, but just sayin.

nero THE zero
06-30-2008, 05:27 PM
It's pretty disheartening that hearsay can spread like that. Especially from someone as reputable and, usually, credible as Texans Chick

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Here's my thing. I've said it before, and I've put many other words to it - but cut and dry:

Two alcohol arrests in a month. You think the first was BS? Fine. The second one still shows that he is not smart, and that he doesn't care about football. Kubes and Smith could turn him around, sure - and I'm sure we have other mental midgets on the Texans... but how much of an immature child are you if you can't keep yourself from driving drunk a month after... being arrested for being drunk?

We don't know that he was driving drunk a month later.

What we know is he stayed out late and ran a red light in the offseason. After the BWI, he probably needed to live his life like a monk so as not to get into any more trouble.

Admittedly, I've done the same thing, both within the last week--stayed out late, ran a red light that was semi-yellow I contend. Didn't drive drunk, but I suppose I could have been pulled over and asked to do BS field sobriety tests. If I had a social drink with dinner, I wouldn't do the breathalyzer.

There are clearly questions about Benson's run ins with the law and his judgment that go beyond the last two arrests. It's a question if he has anything redeemable as an NFL player left or not.

DiehardChris
06-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm not blaming Steph, I'm talking about Florio. I just can't believe a totally unfounded statement on a message board can find its way to PFT... I mean, I get that it's called "rumor mill" but typically the rumors are based on league chatter, team officials, etc. Not message boards.

Steph's site is on Fanhouse. It's part of what she does to represent what the fans of the team are saying. I have no problem with that.

nero THE zero
06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm not blaming Steph, I'm talking about Florio. I just can't believe a totally unfounded statement on a message board can find its way to PFT... I mean, I get that it's called "rumor mill" but typically the rumors are based on league chatter, team officials, etc. Not message boards.

Steph's site is on Fanhouse. It's part of what she does to represent what the fans of the team are saying. I have no problem with that.

I understand that. But, by her posting it in her FanBlog, she is giving the rumor momentum. I don't know if Florio knows her or not, clearly, if he does, her posting the rumor gives it considerably more clout. But had that rumor stayed here in the messageboard (where it belongs) it wouldn't have found its way to PFT. So, in that way, Texans Chick is facilitating the spread of this rumor.

She obviously has a bias toward Benson and would like the Texans to pick him up, and that's fine. But, I look at her as one of the more reliable bloggers/Texans mouthpieces and its just disheartening to see her giving garbage like this legs.

DiehardChris
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I just totally disagree with that. Part of what Steph does at Fanhouse is that she has the finger on the pulse of the Texans fan base. There's a 10+ page thread on the most-trafficked Texans message board about Cedric Benson - so I think she would actually be remiss if she didn't mention it.

Now, if she had gone and posted about it right after the rumor was posted, then yeah - I would have an issue with that - but she would never do that. Instead, she posted about it after a large debate, which has included dozens of very well thought out responses.

HOU-TEX
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
IMHO, even if his off the field issues are cleared and everything is hunky-dory.......he's still not a very good RB. Heck, I'd even say he kinda sucks.

If the dude is in town and says he wants to come play for the Texans, fine.....but that doesn't mean the Texans want him.

Personally, I've yet to see anything from this guy that would link him to a ZB type scheme.

:gun: :gun: :gun:

nero THE zero
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM
For clarity's sake, I'm not sitting here any trying to dictate what the purpose of her blog is. I'm simply saying that she's held with a relatively high regard in the Texans' community, and to post a baseless rumor started by someone with no posting history seems more like stumping for Benson than "keeping her finger on the pulse of the community." But I digress, my inetntion wasn't to single out Texans Chick.

Hookem Horns
06-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Anything you guys are posting on this site can get out there will quick. Just Google "Houston Texans", we are on the 1st page. Now google "cedric benson coming to houston texans" and see what you get.

This site is getting a ton of traffic, most people come here just to read and don't register. So it's not too hard to see how these things can get started.

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I understand that. But, by her posting it in her FanBlog, she is giving the rumor momentum. I don't know if Florio knows her or not, clearly, if he does, her posting the rumor gives it considerably more clout. But had that rumor stayed here in the messageboard (where it belongs) it wouldn't have found its way to PFT. So, in that way, Texans Chick is facilitating the spread of this rumor.

She obviously has a bias toward Benson and would like the Texans to pick him up, and that's fine. But, I look at her as one of the more reliable bloggers/Texans mouthpieces and its just disheartening to see her giving garbage like this legs.

Some thoughts:

1. This is not just a rumor I saw on a MB. This is something I've heard from other people who I trust.

2. I have no problem saying Ced Benson is interested in the Texans, and this would be a situation that would be good for him.

3. I do question whether the Texans would have interest in him back. I discuss some of the factors involved with that in my piece.

4. PFT and FanHouse for that matter are not just news sites. The reason people read it is to know what GM, teams, fans are talking about and what they are interested in. Both what I wrote and what PFT wrote explained where the information came from. People can see it as a FWIW.

5. I do not have a pro- or anti- Benson bias. I don't have strong feelings if he comes to the Texans or not. If the team thinks he is someone who is worth sticking in camp for a training camp battle on a position of weakness on the team, I don't care if they do it as long as it is a relatively low risk contract. If they have no interest in him, I'm good with that too.

6. As an ancilary matter to the Ced Benson post, it is also a discussion of the Texans running back situation and Ahman Green's salary cap situation.

I could have written a similar piece without linking the Texans Talk stuff or talking about Ced being in town talking to the Texans, but that would be ignoring stuff I know.

Porky
06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
I don't have much, but I once slept at a Holiday Inn Express. :spit:

Showtime100
06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
I have yet to see where anyone has said this is cold hard fact the Texans are going for Benson. Much ado about nothing at this point, IMO.

3rd and Inches
06-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Just seems like a bunch of bruhaha and speculation to me..

Lucky
06-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Very good articles from both you and Keith. I wouldn't disagree with much from either.

What I felt didn't come across in your piece was fair assessment of Benson's performance in the NFL, thus far. If Ahman Green is "Oldish and oft injured", how would Benson be described? "Childish and oft sucky"? Replace Benson with any name on the list, and I don't see how one could gain added confidence in the Texans ground attack. Really, all of the new expectations for the running game come from Alex Gibbs and the emphasis on the ZBS.

I would also question this section you quoted from Keith's article:

And while Benson has been a flop to date as a pro, he is a former first round pick capable of running inside and falling forward for four yards a carry. If Ron Dayne can have even a modicrum of success in this offense, then there is certainly some hope that Benson, freed from a historically inept offense in Chicago, might be able to finally pay dividends on his draft day expectations.First and foremost, I'm not a Ron Dayne advocate. He's never been a tough inside runner, in my eyes. But last season, Dayne was stuffed (zero yards or less) just 10 times in 194 carries. Benson was stuffed on 27 of 196 carries. I don't see how that kind of disparity could be attributed to only the the differences in effectiveness between the two offenses. As mediocre as Dayne was last season, he was better than Benson.

I wonder if Kubiak and Smith have met with Cedric, yet? With license from the classic film Bachelor Party, this is how their conversation might have gone:

Smith: First, Cedric, you're a bust. You were the #4 pick in the draft and you never gained as much as 700 yards in a single season.
Kubiak: You're immature. You've left the field pouting prior to the end of a game, and you've been arrested twice this offseason for alcohol related offense.
Smith: You're lazy and unmotivated. You've come into camp out of shape and some teammates have admitted trying to injure you.
Kubiak: You're a poor inside runner, you don't break tackles, you lack breakaway speed...
Smith: ...a poor receiver, a poor blocker...
Benson: OK guys, that's quite a list. And you're both right, absolutely right. But I'm sure if I really apply myself, I can be a totally changed football player by the start of camp. Now, who's ready to hit happy hour!?! I'm driving!

Double Barrel
06-30-2008, 06:16 PM
When an article starts off with "There are rumors on the grapevine...", I pretty much assume most folks can comprehend that the rest of the story is speculation instead of factual.

gary
06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see Benson signed.

Lets see what he can do. He doesn't cost anything but money, and theres a chance he could be a contributor. I don't care about players being role models, I care about players playing better and being bigger, faster, stronger, meaner than the players in the other jerseys.Agree, you just never know what GB may be able to do with him.

The Pencil Neck
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Admittedly, I've done the same thing, both within the last week--stayed out late, ran a red light that was semi-yellow I contend. Didn't drive drunk, but I suppose I could have been pulled over and asked to do BS field sobriety tests. If I had a social drink with dinner, I wouldn't do the breathalyzer.

I guarantee that you will not be signed as a RB for the Texans.

Period.

:smiliedance:

dalemurphy
06-30-2008, 06:30 PM

Lets see what he can do. He doesn't cost anything but money, and theres a chance he could be a contributor. I don't care about players being role models, I care about players playing better and being bigger, faster, stronger, meaner than the players in the other jerseys.

If we didn't have a roster limit then I'd sign him. However, your decision to sign him means someone gets cut. Who do you cut?

Do you think he's better than Green, CBrown, Slaton, Taylor?

b0ng
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Do you think he's better than Green, CBrown, Slaton, Taylor?

Jameel Cook?

b0ng
06-30-2008, 06:35 PM
When an article starts off with "There are rumors on the grapevine...", I pretty much assume most folks can comprehend that the rest of the story is speculation instead of factual.

Pretty much anybody who has read PFT for awhile and peruse a few different forums will know that practically any sort of rumor or tidbit on the internet or anywhere could appear in the rumor mill. I'm not surprised, usually if somebody does a piece like what Steph did, if it sounds like it could be valid, it could appear on the rumor mill. That's just how that website works.

nero THE zero
06-30-2008, 06:42 PM

To me, a "rumor" is something that stems from word within the organization. Not some guy, with no post history, on a message board. I know TC says she's heard it from "other sources," and I trust her word. But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.

TEXANRED
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
I could have written a similar piece without linking the Texans Talk stuff or talking about Ced being in town talking to the Texans, but that would be ignoring stuff I know.

Ok, so I was totally ignoring the entire Cedric Benson being in town up till now. I have been on these boards a long time and read a lot of things and eventually you are able to weed out who is full of Ca-Ca and who actually know something. And Texans Chick is definitely in the know something category.

I was also wondering why the thread grew legs the way it did and why it was allowed to continue without a link of some sort, usually they are erased relatively fast.

Vinny is also a person in the know.

Interesting.

How do you people get to know people? I wanna know people. I need to start hanging out with some of you. I know one person but he doesn't call me and go, "Hey guess who's in town...."

I wanna know stuff too!

ObsiWan
06-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Jameel Cook?

At least Jameel Cook contributed on special teams last year.
Will Benson do that?

b0ng
06-30-2008, 06:46 PM
At least Jameel Cook contributed on special teams last year.
Will Benson do that?

Let him sit around during everybody's training camp without getting picked up, and he'll probably do naked cartwheels during halftime if you tell him to.

ObsiWan
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Say, before we start fooling around with someone who's, at best suspect, like Benson is, let's get the rest of our '08 rook class all signed up.

Lucky
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.
I see your point. This thread probably wouldn't have lasted without corroboration from an independent, trustworthy 2nd source. Plus, it's the dead period between OTAs and training camp. There's not much to discuss beyond rumors. This has to belong in the no harm, no foul category.

thunderkyss
06-30-2008, 07:46 PM
I see your point. This thread probably wouldn't have lasted without corroboration from an independent, trustworthy 2nd source. Plus, it's the dead period between OTAs and training camp. There's not much to discuss beyond rumors. This has to belong in the no harm, no foul category.

What difference does it make to how much truth there is to this "rumor" it's been a fairly good, civil discussion.

smell the roses man.. life is short.

TexansFanatic
06-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Smith: First, Cedric, you're a bust. You were the #4 pick in the draft and you never gained as much as 700 yards in a single season.

Kubiak: You're immature. You've left the field pouting prior to the end of a game, and you've been arrested twice this offseason for alcohol related offense.

Smith: You're lazy and unmotivated. You've come into camp out of shape and some teammates have admitted trying to injure you.

Kubiak: You're a poor inside runner, you don't break tackles, you lack breakaway speed...

Benson: OK guys, that's quite a list. And you're both right, absolutely right. But I'm sure if I really apply myself, I can be a totally changed football player by the start of camp. Now, who's ready to hit happy hour!?! I'm driving!

Dude, that's brilliant.

TexansLucky13
06-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Our thread made PFT. Everyone smile for the camera.

Hardcore Texan
06-30-2008, 08:50 PM
To me, a "rumor" is something that stems from word within the organization. Not some guy, with no post history, on a message board. I know TC says she's heard it from "other sources," and I trust her word. But a "rumor" orginiating from here isn't a rumor in my book.

People could look at your post history, time on the boards and assume the same thing about what you say. Call it a rumor, call it wild specualtion, whatever makes you more comfortable, but it's the offseason and it's just a topic for debate and consideration given:

A. the lack of running game last year by the Texans
B. available running backs

It's thoughts, rumor, opinion all rolled into one. Isn't it cool when somebody guesses right? Where do you get Texans Chick has a biased about Cedric? It seemed like a pretty fair way to consider the entire situation to me.

3rd and Inches
06-30-2008, 09:33 PM
It's thoughts, rumor, opinion all rolled into one. Isn't it cool when somebody guesses right? Where do you get Texans Chick has a biased about Cedric? It seemed like a pretty fair way to consider the entire situation to me.

I agree, her opinion looked pretty unbiased to me.

awtysst
06-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Our thread made PFT. Everyone smile for the camera.
As long as I am wearing an Elvis wig I have no reason to smile...losing to ketchup doesn't make me smile either!!

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 10:05 PM
Very good articles from both you and Keith. I wouldn't disagree with much from either.

What I felt didn't come across in your piece was fair assessment of Benson's performance in the NFL, thus far. If Ahman Green is "Oldish and oft injured", how would Benson be described? "Childish and oft sucky"? Replace Benson with any name on the list, and I don't see how one could gain added confidence in the Texans ground attack. Really, all of the new expectations for the running game come from Alex Gibbs and the emphasis on the ZBS.

I would also question this section you quoted from Keith's article:

First and foremost, I'm not a Ron Dayne advocate. He's never been a tough inside runner, in my eyes. But last season, Dayne was stuffed (zero yards or less) just 10 times in 194 carries. Benson was stuffed on 27 of 196 carries. I don't see how that kind of disparity could be attributed to only the the differences in effectiveness between the two offenses. As mediocre as Dayne was last season, he was better than Benson.

I wonder if Kubiak and Smith have met with Cedric, yet? With license from the classic film Bachelor Party, this is how their conversation might have gone:

"Childish and oft sucky" would be a good Cliff Notes assessment of Ced.

If they thought he had anything to possibly offer, I see him as relatively low cost, possible upside camp competition. Texans have a history of throwing bodies at positions of weakness as an attempt to get better and create competition. I don't see him as the savior of the running game, but I think if he had his head together, it might be interesting to see what we would get out of him.

I think the point that Keith was making and I thought was a good one to make is that Kubiak has a system that can make players appear to be better than they are as an individual athlete. We can't really know the relative effectiveness between two offenses who play in different divisions. But I do know that the times I've watched that Chicago offense, it was pretty awful. Hard to say what is attributable to Ced or what is attributable to one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I believe that few players are so good that they would shine no matter what their awful situation (Andre Johnson). I think the majority of players have to be in a good fit for them. A good system, a good coaching fit, a good mix with other players. I think Ron Dayne is someone who was semi-effective for Houston when he was non-injured, because basically, the offense is all about just making sure you continue to get positive yards, no negative yards, and don't put the ball on the turf.

nero THE zero
06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
People could look at your post history, time on the boards and assume the same thing about what you say. Call it a rumor, call it wild specualtion, whatever makes you more comfortable, but it's the offseason and it's just a topic for debate and consideration given:

A. the lack of running game last year by the Texans
B. available running backs

I've been a member of the boards since '04 or '05. I forgot my log in and password when the board switched over.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3005 :)

But, then again, I wasn't here making a bold and (seemingly) baseless claim. The guy might be right, I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying one post on a messageboard doesn't make what he's saying legitimate or credit-worthy. But, it's summer and we should put aside any skepticism because we're bored. I get it.

dalemurphy
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
"Childish and oft sucky" would be a good Cliff Notes assessment of Ced.

If they thought he had anything to possibly offer, I see him as relatively low cost, possible upside camp competition. Texans have a history of throwing bodies at positions of weakness as an attempt to get better and create competition. I don't see him as the savior of the running game, but I think if he had his head together, it might be interesting to see what we would get out of him.

I think the point that Keith was making and I thought was a good one to make is that Kubiak has a system that can make players appear to be better than they are as an individual athlete. We can't really know the relative effectiveness between two offenses who play in different divisions. But I do know that the times I've watched that Chicago offense, it was pretty awful. Hard to say what is attributable to Ced or what is attributable to one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

I believe that few players are so good that they would shine no matter what their awful situation (Andre Johnson). I think the majority of players have to be in a good fit for them. A good system, a good coaching fit, a good mix with other players. I think Ron Dayne is someone who was semi-effective for Houston when he was non-injured, because basically, the offense is all about just making sure you continue to get positive yards, no negative yards, and don't put the ball on the turf.

Well, regardless of Chicago's offense, he was a lot less explosive than Thomas Jones. His lack of desire and effort was also painfully obvious... Considering that includes a trip to the Superbowl, I'm not sure how our situation will motivate or rejuvinate him. Ced Benson's a guy that took the first opportunity he could to bail out of the biggest came of his career.

Texans_Chick
06-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, regardless of Chicago's offense, he was a lot less explosive than Thomas Jones. His lack of desire and effort was also painfully obvious... Considering that includes a trip to the Superbowl, I'm not sure how our situation will motivate or rejuvinate him. Ced Benson's a guy that took the first opportunity he could to bail out of the biggest came of his career.

Sometimes it takes a while to learn in the league. And it takes people bad stuff to finally *get it.* And sometimes they don't ever *get it.*

Ced Benson came to the Bears with a big head and never fit into their lockerroom. Rumors say the defense tried to hurt him they hated him so much. That can mess you up pretty bad even if you deserve their derision.

The Texans have familiar faces in their lockerroom. Kubiak has a way of connecting with immature players to get them to prepare right. If they don't they are out.

I know there is a bunch of emotion in this because of the high profile arrests and stuff, but I just see this as exploring a potential training camp body with maybe some upside if he figures stuff out.

PHAROAH
06-30-2008, 11:44 PM
I think this could be a win-win for the Texans & Cedric Benson. I think that a change of scenery will be good for and they never had much of an offense in chicago and Benson was an absolute beast coming of UT so I say bring him in he is barely 25 years old. Ahman Green is one huge hit away from sitting out the entire season and you know the texans can't count on the running back we sign from the Titans. So the only guy who might be left standing is Steve Slaton and that is a bit much to leave up to a rookie to carry the load so lets see if cedric has changed.

Hagar
06-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Benson: OK guys, that's quite a list. And you're both right, absolutely right. But I'm sure if I really apply myself, I can be a totally changed football player by the start of camp. Now, who's ready to hit happy hour!?! I'm driving! Agent: So what's the bid, do I hear $10 MM a year for 3 years?

Goldensilence
06-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Agent: So what's the bid, do I hear $10 MM a year for 3 years?

Casserly:Really guys I'm flattered. I know I am a bit of a "legend" and I'd love to help you guys with that bloated contract but I'm no longer GM for the Texans. One more round for people that think i made the Mario Williams call!

TexansFanatic
06-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Not that it means a damn thing, but OJ Simpson gained 697, 488, and 742 in his first three years in the league. That was 3.9 and 4.1 and 4.1 yards per carry each year, respectively.

Ced had 674, 647, and 272 yards rushing his first three years in the league. That was 3.4, 4.1, and 4.1 yards per carry each year, respectively.

Simpson was considered a bust. So is Cedric.

Simpson had a breakout year his 4th year, after a coaching change.

Not saying Benson is Simpson (God forbid!). Just saying three years doesn't make a running back a bust and a change in leadership/scenery can change a career.

ObsiWan
07-01-2008, 12:19 AM
I think this could be a win-win for the Texans & Cedric Benson. I think that a change of scenery will be good for and they never had much of an offense in chicago and Benson was an absolute beast coming of UT so I say bring him in he is barely 25 years old. Ahman Green is one huge hit away from sitting out the entire season and you know the texans can't count on the running back we sign from the Titans. So the only guy who might be left standing is Steve Slaton and that is a bit much to leave up to a rookie to carry the load so lets see if cedric has changed.

That statement applies to any and everyone who steps on the field.

And we'll thank you to always capitalize "Texans"

barrett
07-01-2008, 02:12 AM

Lets see what he can do. He doesn't cost anything but money, and theres a chance he could be a contributor. I don't care about players being role models, I care about players playing better and being bigger, faster, stronger, meaner than the players in the other jerseys.

then you should really check out the titans or cowboys organizations. you're rooting for the wrong team. one of the greatest things about this organization besides the fact that we're at a pinnacle moment in our history as an expansion team, this is a class act. (we don't tolerate they kind of guys that would maliciously step on a guys face just to hurt him.) Benson could cost alot more than money. a sour apple in the locker room can be an issue.

Wolf
07-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Cedric Benson may be convinced that the police in Texas have him in their crosshairs but his problems with uniformed groups didn’t end when he crossed the state line.

According to Jay Glazer, Benson was not well-liked by his teammates on the Bears either. He went on Dan Patrick’s radio program yesterday, via MJD at Yahoo! Sports, and recounted a tale from the 2006 training camp. Thomas Jones and Lovie Smith were feuding and some Bears vets felt that Benson was getting handed the starting job prematurely, an idea they couldn’t get behind. “Hell, one year they tried to hurt him to make sure that Thomas Jones was going to be the starter. That’s how bad it was with that team,” Glazer told Patrick.

When Patrick asked if he got the information from a Bears player, Glazer responded “No, it wasn’t a Bears defensive player. It was about ten of them.”

That’s enough to drive a man to drink his sorrows away.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/11/bears-defense-wasnt-fond-of-cedric-benson/

has links also

Haynes has say on ced

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/20/1041992/ShowThread.aspx

barrett
07-01-2008, 02:16 AM
That statement applies to any and everyone who steps on the field.

And we'll thank you to always capitalize "Texans"

i love ya' obsi! even i, the laziest capitolizing typist ever can must up the strength to reach my little pinky over to that shift key in honor of our Texans!

Hardcore Texan
07-01-2008, 08:36 AM
I've been a member of the boards since '04 or '05. I forgot my log in and password when the board switched over.

http://texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3005 :)

But, then again, I wasn't here making a bold and (seemingly) baseless claim. The guy might be right, I'm not saying he's not. I'm saying one post on a messageboard doesn't make what he's saying legitimate or credit-worthy. But, it's summer and we should put aside any skepticism because we're bored. I get it.

I knew you were here long before what is says in under your screen name. But I said someone could look at your post and ASSUME the same thing. I didn't say it was the same thing. And allthough your last line appears to be a sarcastic potshot at everyone who has reinforced the fact this is offseason rumor, I never one to put aside skepticism, regardless of the time of year, I am just too darn good at it. It just seemed, from the way I interpreted your post, that you were puttin Texans Chick on blast. When it was clearly offseason rumor based on all the possible places he could land. She has a long history of being in the know as well, I just don't know why you were so "disappointed". You basically questioned her credibility:

It's pretty disheartening that hearsay can spread like that. Especially from someone as reputable and, usually, credible as Texans Chick

That's really what I have a problem with, at no point did anyone's post that I read (and I haven't read every single word) call it anything other than rumor.

Alas, I am not trying to enter into a pissing contest, I have made my point and I will leave it at that.

CloakNNNdagger
07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/06/11/bears-defense-wasnt-fond-of-cedric-benson/

has links also

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/20/1041992/ShowThread.aspx

A counter from another FanHouse blog:

Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was unpopular with the fans and, according to various reports, with his teammates. But one former Bears teammate disputes a report that the team's defense conspired to injure him in practice.

That former teammate, offensive lineman Ruben Brown, told a local radio station, per David Haugh of the Chicago Tribune:

"That sounds like a lot of mumbo-jumbo," the former Bears guard said. "Nobody does that anymore. We all respect each other's right to earn money. I mean, we're all trying to make it, and that makes no sense.

"You're saying Mike Brown, Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, outstanding stand-up people in the community and on the team, leaders of our team, wanted to go and hurt another teammate?"
My hunch: The defensive players didn't like Benson, didn't like his work ethic, and didn't like that he was one of the highest-paid players on the team before he ever stepped on the field. As a result, they probably hit him a little harder in practice than teammates usually hit each other. But I doubt they actively set out to tear his ACL.

And isn't this sort of a "welcome to the NFL" approach to most rookies..........then add the a&&hol& factor..........and therein lies the added
attention from team mates to this particular rookie.

Mr teX
07-01-2008, 09:58 AM

He was destined to fail that, those things are tough to do sober on stable ground much less a rocking boat............. & he probably was drunk too, he's probably lucky he didn't fall over & crack his head open.

dalemurphy
07-01-2008, 10:04 AM
If it has to be a HB, I cut Darius Walker, or someone even lower (don't know anyone past 5 deep). Benson has a much higher ceiling, and Walker isn't so talented that its not worth the risk.

I don't know if hes better than Green or Brown, probably is better than Slaton... I won't mention Taylor (I'm a fan - think he could be really really good). But the point is that he could be. He has a much better chance to be than Darius Walker.

I'd take a bigger, faster, stronger, meaner felon of a football player over the smaller, weaker, slower, nice more role model friendly player any day of the week.

But he's not mean on the field. He's certainly not faster or stronger on the field than any of those guys. He's been a mediocre to bad football player since his sophomore year of college. Walker won't make the active roster but may still be eligible for practice squad- something Benson isn't. So, that exchange would only hurt the depth on the team.

Let me repeat, Benson is not good!!!

texanfan2002114
07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
But he's not mean on the field. He's certainly not faster or stronger on the field than any of those guys. He's been a mediocre to bad football player since his sophomore year of college. Walker won't make the active roster but may still be eligible for practice squad- something Benson isn't. So, that exchange would only hurt the depth on the team.

Let me repeat, Benson is not good!!!

I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS

Rushing/Receiving
Year G/GS Rush-Yds YPC TD Long Rec-Yds YPC TD Long
2004 12/12 326-1,834 5.6 19 60/Ark 22-179 8.1 1 20/MU
2003 12/11 258-1,360 5.3 21 50/TAM 9-120 13.3 1 59t/Rice
2002 13/13 305-1,293 4.2 12 59t/ISU 21-119 5.7 0 33/LSU*
2001 12/7 +223-1,053+ 4.7 12+ 61/KU 17-203 11.9 1 60t/KU
Career 49/43 1,112-5,540 5.0 64 61/KU 69-621 9.0 3 60t/KU

How do you rush for almost 3200 yards, 40 rushing TD's in the 2 years after being a sophomore and is considered a bad player???

2004 - Benson finished with the 4th highest rushing total behind, JJ Arrington,DeAngelo Williams and Adrian Peterson. He finished 3rd in rushing TD's and averaged close to 153 yards per game.

2003- Benson finished 16th in total rushing yards and tied for 1st in rushing TD's and lead the country in scoring and beat a player named Steven Jackson who is now a heck of a back for St. Louis.

I truly believe Benson was never given a chance to thrive in Chicago. Personally I would love for him to come to our Texans and given a true chance to win a job. I don't believe A. Green and Chris Brown are the answers because they are to injury prone.

Benson is not a bad back!!

HOU-TEX
07-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I truly believe Benson was never given a chance to thrive in Chicago. Personally I would love for him to come to our Texans and given a true chance to win a job. I don't believe A. Green and Chris Brown are the answers because they are to injury prone.

College stats aside, Benson hasn't done anything in the NFL to prove his worth.

Additionally, if you're going to label Green and Brown as injury prone you might as well do the same with Benson. He's had a season ending injury in 05 (knee) and 07 (ankle). He also missed the entire pre-season in 06 with a shoulder problem.

dalemurphy
07-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS

Rushing/Receiving
Year G/GS Rush-Yds YPC TD Long Rec-Yds YPC TD Long
2004 12/12 326-1,834 5.6 19 60/Ark 22-179 8.1 1 20/MU
2003 12/11 258-1,360 5.3 21 50/TAM 9-120 13.3 1 59t/Rice
2002 13/13 305-1,293 4.2 12 59t/ISU 21-119 5.7 0 33/LSU*
2001 12/7 +223-1,053+ 4.7 12+ 61/KU 17-203 11.9 1 60t/KU
Career 49/43 1,112-5,540 5.0 64 61/KU 69-621 9.0 3 60t/KU

How do you rush for almost 3200 yards, 40 rushing TD's in the 2 years after being a sophomore and is considered a bad player???

2004 - Benson finished with the 4th highest rushing total behind, JJ Arrington,DeAngelo Williams and Adrian Peterson. He finished 3rd in rushing TD's and averaged close to 153 yards per game.

2003- Benson finished 16th in total rushing yards and tied for 1st in rushing TD's and lead the country in scoring and beat a player named Steven Jackson who is now a heck of a back for St. Louis.

Well, here's how you do it. You play for Mack Brown and so play against cream puffs like Rice, Tulane, New Mexico... then, you further pad your stats against teams like Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma st., and what was a ridiculously weak Big 12 north.

On top of that, you play with Vince Young, who was such a threat in the zone-read that he created huge holes for a back to run through.

Being a UT homer, why don't you get your hands on a tape of him as a freshman and watch him run. Then, watch him later in his career. If you're honest with yourself, regardless of statistics, it's very clear that he lost the explosiveness and determination later in his UT career that he had his freshman year.

dalemurphy
07-01-2008, 11:03 AM
College stats aside, Benson hasn't done anything in the NFL to prove his worth.

Additionally, if you're going to label Green and Brown as injury prone you might as well do the same with Benson. He's had a season ending injury in 05 (knee) and 07 (ankle). He also missed the entire pre-season in 06 with a shoulder problem.

He bailed on his team in the freakin' Superbowl because he doesn't like to get hit anymore. From a football perspective, his drinking and driving is the least of his issues.