PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like Cedric Benson is coming to Houston

Pages : 1 [2]

barrett
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
you tell 'em spike!

Texecutioner
07-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS

Rushing/Receiving
Year G/GS Rush-Yds YPC TD Long Rec-Yds YPC TD Long
2004 12/12 326-1,834 5.6 19 60/Ark 22-179 8.1 1 20/MU
2003 12/11 258-1,360 5.3 21 50/TAM 9-120 13.3 1 59t/Rice
2002 13/13 305-1,293 4.2 12 59t/ISU 21-119 5.7 0 33/LSU*
2001 12/7 +223-1,053+ 4.7 12+ 61/KU 17-203 11.9 1 60t/KU
Career 49/43 1,112-5,540 5.0 64 61/KU 69-621 9.0 3 60t/KU

How do you rush for almost 3200 yards, 40 rushing TD's in the 2 years after being a sophomore and is considered a bad player???

2004 - Benson finished with the 4th highest rushing total behind, JJ Arrington,DeAngelo Williams and Adrian Peterson. He finished 3rd in rushing TD's and averaged close to 153 yards per game.

2003- Benson finished 16th in total rushing yards and tied for 1st in rushing TD's and lead the country in scoring and beat a player named Steven Jackson who is now a heck of a back for St. Louis.

I truly believe Benson was never given a chance to thrive in Chicago. Personally I would love for him to come to our Texans and given a true chance to win a job. I don't believe A. Green and Chris Brown are the answers because they are to injury prone.

Benson is not a bad back!!

Sorry, but those college stats you just provided are a joke.

Since when are NFL RB's evaluated by what they did in college 4 to 5 years ago?

You aren't the most informed Longhorn fan either. Benson was smoking dope, partying, and doing all kinds of stuff at UT. The alums got him off one dope case and also kept his home invasion case under the radar. People heard about it, but it wasn't that big of a story. Plus, from what I hear from inside sources that knew a WHOLE LOT about Benson at the time have said that it wasn't even about a stolen TV and that is what about some DOPE that was stolen from Benson. THe whole TV story was a SPIN FACTOR. Benson was just able to perform well in college off of his talent alone. He didn't work hard and anyone on the team would tell you that. Plus, even VY said that Benson was not even that well liked by his teamates at Texas either.

Now if you want to post stats, POST THE REAL STATS! His NFL stats that actually MATTER. Benson has been awful since coming into the NFL.

None of this off the field stuff is the real issue here. I wouldn't mind at all if the Texans grabbed a bad apple kind of guy and took a chance if he was really good right now, simply because the Texans really aren't a team that has all the pieces to be real picky. However, Benson is NOT A GOOD BACK. His stats have been terrible, and anyone who has watched him in the last 3 years could clearly see that they guy is not cut out to be an NFL RB. I'm sorry but 3 years of a guy stinking up the field is all I need to see to gather the fact that HE SUCKS.

Texecutioner
07-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Well, here's how you do it. You play for Mack Brown and so play against cream puffs like Rice, Tulane, New Mexico... then, you further pad your stats against teams like Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma st., and what was a ridiculously weak Big 12 north.

On top of that, you play with Vince Young, who was such a threat in the zone-read that he created huge holes for a back to run through.

Being a UT homer, why don't you get your hands on a tape of him as a freshman and watch him run. Then, watch him later in his career. If you're honest with yourself, regardless of statistics, it's very clear that he lost the explosiveness and determination later in his UT career that he had his freshman year.

Very good post and well informed as well.

I don't know what happened to the Benson I saw as a Freshman. That guy never returned. As good as his stats were in college, he didn't see to get better really. When he was a Freshman though, he looked amazing. His Senior year he developed a terrible stumbling problem as well that has only gotten worse.

Plus, and UT fan should remember how bad Benson was against the Sooners every year. He did not come up big in those rivalry games against Oklahoma.

PHAROAH
07-01-2008, 11:53 AM
That statement applies to any and everyone who steps on the field.

And we'll thank you to always capitalize "Texans"I agree but the reason I made that statement is because i have no faith in Ahman green & Chris Brown they stay injured so why not bring in another guy who was a former top 5 pick.

Sal Rosenberg
07-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Is there any truth to this rumor?

nut
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Compared to Green and Brown, Benson has a much better chance of staying on the field. He has showed occasional flashes of ability the last couple of years. So what if the guy is a drunk and a showoff. Slaton is too small to drive the bus and they might complement each other. He is nowhere near the risk the Pats took on signing Moss. Don't forget the Bears saw enough in Benson to trade Thomas Jones before last season.

dc_txtech
07-01-2008, 01:38 PM

I haven't read anything to convince me it is any more than hearsay and conjecture. I don't know why I keep reading this thread.

Wolf
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM

I personally think he probably talked to the Texans but with the time that has passed and the quietness of him ,his agent, and more importantly the Texans.. I will be surprised if anything is done,

PHAROAH
07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I agree I haven't seen anything to say that this is true.

The Pencil Neck
07-01-2008, 02:00 PM
I've been reserve to comment on Benson, being that I am a Longhorn homer and was waiting to see if there was any truth to him coming to the Texans, but this comment throws me for a loop.

CAREER STATISTICS
Benson is not a bad back!!

College stats don't mean jack. Dayne won a Heisman and set career rushing marks while he was at Wisconsin... and that never translated to a good career in the pros. Look at all the great college backs that never were able to put up the same kind of numbers in the pros: KiJana Carter, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, William Green, TJ Duckett,...

CloakNNNdagger
07-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Very good post and well informed as well.

I don't know what happened to the Benson I saw as a Freshman. That guy never returned. As good as his stats were in college, he didn't see to get better really. When he was a Freshman though, he looked amazing. His Senior year he developed a terrible stumbling problem as well that has only gotten worse.Plus, and UT fan should remember how bad Benson was against the Sooners every year. He did not come up big in those rivalry games against Oklahoma.

Uhhhh............Aren't drunk people expected to stumble??:shots:

Texecutioner
07-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Uhhhh............Aren't drunk people expected to stumble??:shots:

:spit: Nice one and I guess your right. Maybe he was drunk on the field as well.

Xetuoh1836
07-01-2008, 03:35 PM
:spit: Nice one and I guess your right. Maybe he was drunk on the field as well.

Maurice Clarett called it, "getting his Goose on", I believe!?:thinking:

barrett
07-01-2008, 03:48 PM
I personally think he probably talked to the Texans but with the time that has passed and the quietness of him ,his agent, and more importantly the Texans.. I will be surprised if anything is done,

not saying, just saying, keep in mind that until july 5th the Texans offices are closed so it's not suprising if some talks are taking place that nothing would be happening right now.

ObsiWan
07-01-2008, 06:16 PM

naaah... at least none that anyone would bet a paycheck on

honestly, we're all just bored as all get-out! I don't know if we can keep this one going until camp opens - but we damn sure seem to be tryin'
:)

Texecutioner
07-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Maurice Clarett called it, "getting his Goose on", I believe!?:thinking:

They like to say "I'm getting loose on some goose".
:splits:

ATXtexanfan
07-01-2008, 10:53 PM
naaah... at least none that anyone would bet a paycheck on

honestly, we're all just bored as all get-out! I don't know if we can keep this one going until camp opens - but we damn sure seem to be tryin'
:)

there's still a carr thread gettin some action

mexican_texan
07-01-2008, 11:46 PM
So this is an 11 page thread based on one guy's speculation?

Wolf
07-01-2008, 11:55 PM

TC and Vinny also heard from people that they know that Benson talked to the Texans

who knows what will come of it, if anything

ATXtexanfan
07-01-2008, 11:59 PM

pretty much, no sources, links, etc.

thunderkyss
07-02-2008, 12:03 AM

This thread was started by a guy who said he was aware of talks.

The talks between Benson & the Texans are rumor, and may not have any basis in reality.

The 11 pages(or whatever) are a civil discussion about whether the Texans should be talking to Benson or not.

Carr Bombed
07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Tonight on NFL Total Access......Adam Scheffler reported that there were rumors of the Texans talking to Cedric Benson, but in the end Houston was NOT interested in Benson.

dalemurphy
07-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Tonight on NFL Total Access......Adam Scheffler reported that there were rumors of the Texans talking to Cedric Benson, but in the end Houston was NOT interested in Benson.

:splits: Dancing the jig!

ATXtexanfan
07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
YYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hervoyel
07-02-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, regardless of Chicago's offense, he was a lot less explosive than Thomas Jones. His lack of desire and effort was also painfully obvious... Considering that includes a trip to the Superbowl, I'm not sure how our situation will motivate or rejuvinate him. Ced Benson's a guy that took the first opportunity he could to bail out of the biggest came of his career.

Indeed he was less effective than Thomas Jones who was coincidentally at a point in his career where he could either put up something or go home. Isn't that where Benson is today?

In 2006 Jones and Benson both averaged 4.1 yards a carry. In 2005 Benson had 4.1 to Jones 4.3. In 2007 as the starter for the Bears Benson dropped to 3.4.

Guess what Jones managed in New York? He had a whopping 3.6 per carry.

In three years in the league Benson ran for 4.1, 4.1, and 3.4 and failed to displace Thomas Jones as the starter. In Jones first three years in the league he averaged 3.3, 3.4, and 3.7 before changing his address and becoming a quality NFL back. Before that he was a bust languishing behind Michael Pittman and Marcel Shipp. People see their careers change all the time in the NFL.

Sign Benson and see what he's got. There's absolutely no harm in doing so and somebody is going to find out if he can make something of himself. If he can't then nobody is ever going to remember or care who gave him his last shot in the league but if he can then he's going to do it for somebody and he's going to do it cheap.

But obviously the Texans don't feel that way so....next subject?

mexican_texan
07-02-2008, 12:22 AM
So much for that. I say let Karmelowicz have a go with him and if he survives, he gets the minimum.

mexican_texan
07-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Indeed he was less effective than Thomas Jones who was coincidentally at a point in his career where he could either put up something or go home. Isn't that where Benson is today?

In 2006 Jones and Benson both averaged 4.1 yards a carry. In 2005 Benson had 4.1 to Jones 4.3. In 2007 as the starter for the Bears Benson dropped to 3.4.

Guess what Jones managed in New York? He had a whopping 3.6 per carry.

In three years in the league Benson ran for 4.1, 4.1, and 3.4 and failed to displace Thomas Jones as the starter. In Jones first three years in the league he averaged 3.3, 3.4, and 3.7 before changing his address and becoming a quality NFL back. Before that he was a bust languishing behind Michael Pittman and Marcel Shipp. People see their careers change all the time in the NFL.

Sign Benson and see what he's got. There's absolutely no harm in doing so and somebody is going to find out if he can make something of himself. If he can't then nobody is ever going to remember or care who gave him his last shot in the league but if he can then he's going to do it for somebody and he's going to do it cheap.

Difference there is that Jones has an impeccable work ethic while Benson is, I'm sorry to say, your typical UT player.

Carr Bombed
07-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Benson along with alot of FA RBs will be sitting at home until somebody gets injured in camp/preseason.

For all the posters that get mad every time Houston passes on "the next great runningback" with their first round pick/high pick, this is why. The runningback position is the cheapest in the entire league. Hell a guy that won the MVP award a couple of seasons ago can't even find work.

Personally I think Houston basically told Benson...."tell you what guy, we'll keep your number and if a spot opens up and your still available, we'll give you a call". Then they probably shook his hand and politely showed him the door.

PapaL
07-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Difference there is that Jones has an impeccable work ethic while Benson is, I'm sorry to say, your typical UT player.

The folks in AZ who drafted him might question that impeccable work ethic in regards to his production on the field.

At the end of the day people aren't going to care if you half ass it on the practice field as long as you play balls to the wall and produce on game day. We're talking about Practice...Practice?

Lucky
07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Dang! I thought this could last until training camp. Maybe we can start all over after Tampa Bay releases Chris Simms? :)

Hooston Texan
07-02-2008, 10:59 AM
The folks in AZ who drafted him might question that impeccable work ethic in regards to his production on the field.

At the end of the day people aren't going to care if you half ass it on the practice field as long as you play balls to the wall and produce on game day. We're talking about Practice...Practice?

I am not sure what happened with Jones in Arizona, but other than (arguably) those three years, work ethic was never a problem for him. He was one of the most respected guys to ever play at Virginia, and that includes the RB he replaced, Tiki Barber. He routinely took 18-20 credit hours a semester so he could complete his undergrad degree in three years, giving him one scholarship year as a grad student (he did not redshirt). Heck, one semester I took 16 hours and swore I'd never do that again.

Things did not go well in Arizona. Jake Plummer ripped the pick, saying that Arizona already had its RB (Michael Pittman, I believe). In any event, Jones struggled in the putrid Cardinal offense--his ypc were in line with the other backs--but he was losing time to Pittman and then Shipp.

It was during this time that his brother Julius flunked out of Notre Dame and came to live with Thomas in Phoenix while getting his head straight. It may have been that Jones was caught up in that issue. There may have been an adjustment period--including adjusting to the fact that this kid whose mom (?!?) worked in coal mine was now a millionaire. But the guy righted himself in Tampa (including a big game against us) and then went on to be the most esteemed offensive player in Chicago until he was idiotically traded away.

But at every stop of his career except (arguably) the Arizona years, Jones was as hard a worker as there was. What little I know of Benson's background comes from places like these, but I don't think he's ever had that reputation. If the posts in this thread are indication, it's actually quite the opposite.

Sorry for the rant, but if Benson wants to turn his career around the way Jones did, he needs to act the part every day, not just game day.

Texecutioner
07-02-2008, 11:13 AM

How is he your typical UT player? Are you an Aggie or something? Texas has a ton of studs in the NFL. Please give a bunch of facts that backs up this statement?

barrett
07-02-2008, 11:22 AM
i would tay typically UT players are a bit babied. they seem to lack work ethic alot of times. they seem to have a hard time transitioning to the NFL. off the top of my head, i'll go with Benson, Young, Williams to start.

nut
07-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Benson along with alot of FA RBs will be sitting at home until somebody gets injured in camp/preseason.

For all the posters that get mad every time Houston passes on "the next great runningback" with their first round pick/high pick, this is why. The runningback position is the cheapest in the entire league. Hell a guy that won the MVP award a couple of seasons ago can't even find work.

Personally I think Houston basically told Benson...."tell you what guy, we'll keep your number and if a spot opens up and your still available, we'll give you a call". Then they probably shook his hand and politely showed him the door.

If there are so many available excellent RB's laying around doing nothing, why don't we have some of them on our team?

HOU-TEX
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
If there are so many available excellent RB's laying around doing nothing, why don't we have some of them on our team?

Probably because we currently have around 5 on the roster that are similar to the ones that will be sitting at home. We don't need anymore.

Lucky
07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
The excellent RBs have jobs. It's the RBs who are wearing more ?s than the Riddler who are looking for work.

checo446
07-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Cedric Benson-RB-Bears Jul. 2 - 9:50 am et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the Texans aren't interested in Cedric Benson, despite some rumors to the contrary.
We haven't posted the rumors because they were just message board fodder, and Schefter says they are baseless. Schefter also reports the market for Benson is quite cool, and he thinks Benson won't get a job until a running back is hurt elsewhere in training camp.
Related: Texans

Bad news for Benson...

Toro59
07-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Bad news for Benson...

I hope he is right... i hate to cut anyone on are roster for Mr. Benson

edo783
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Bad news for Benson...

But good news for the Texans IMO.

El Tejano
07-02-2008, 03:27 PM
I bet I know how all of this even started.

Guy at work: Cool Cedric Benson. Love you at UT man
Benson: Thanks I appreciate it.

Guy at work: Without getting into too much of your business and taking care of your business with us, are you planning on playing this year?
Benson: Of course. I'm just looking for the right deal and right place. You know.

Guy at work: It would be awesome if you played for someone in Texas again.
Benson: Yeah I'd really like to play in Houston if possible.

Guy at work goes to computer and types away on TexansTalk.com and says we are interested.

Ole Miss Texan
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
In response to thread title: "Sounds like Cedric Benson is NOT coming to Houston "

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 03:41 PM
GoTitans.com is making fun of this thread.... Even Flaming Sparrow got in on the act....

Texans interested in Benson (http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=37423)

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
GoTitans.com is making fun of this thread.... Even Flaming Sparrow got in on the act....

Texans interested in Benson (http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=37423)

I think I will be signing up for that board to help defend our honor!!!!

PapaL
07-02-2008, 03:50 PM
It's kinda funny how we've gotten the same if not more production out of our now retired DD/W then they have gotten out of their 1st round RBs yet we're the dumb ones.

Carr Bombed
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Because our RB situation is not as bad as people make it out to be. I like the backs we already have.........solid vets, with good young talent as depth.

HOU-TEX
07-02-2008, 04:21 PM
I think I will be signing up for that board to help defend our honor!!!!

Don't count on being approved. I think it's been 3 years now since I signed up and have yet to receive an approval email.

Eh, probably better off anyways. Their intelligence level seems equivalent to that of a cripple coon.

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Don't count on being approved. I think it's been 3 years now since I signed up and have yet to receive an approval email.

Eh, probably better off anyways. Their intelligence level seems equivalent to that of a cripple coon.

Seconded.. If you go by there now you will see my normal screen name, but if I try to post I get the old "You do not have permission, yada yada, please contact the Administrator, blah, blah, blah........... Here's the rub. I get the same message if I try to PM their admin.... :gun:

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Well see what happens, I just activated my account. That would be pretty lame not to let people in and share opinions, talk smack, whatever.

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Looks like I am in.

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like I am in.

I just saw your post over there.

BTW, this is the message I get:

Texan_Bill, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I just saw your post over there.

BTW, this is the message I get:

After the first link in an email they send you, they send you a second one that says you have been activated. Did you check your email, probably your junk email folder, again for a second email. Once you click on that you finish the activating part.

When did you sign up?

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
After the first link in an email they send you, they send you a second one that says you have been activated. Did you check your email, probably your junk email folder, again for a second email. Once you click on that you finish the activating part.

When did you sign up?

YUP.. I had checked my emails and junk email.

When did I sign up?? It seems like a couple of years now, but I can't tell you for sure because I don't have permission to check my account... :gun:

Sal Rosenberg
07-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Is he trying out or not?:gun:

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 06:15 PM
YUP.. I had checked my emails and junk email.

When did I sign up?? It seems like a couple of years now, but I can't tell you for sure because I don't have permission to check my account... :gun:

Do you want me to send the Mod a PM and try to get you going?

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Is he trying out or not?:gun:

No that anyone knows of, it's just rumor.

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Do you want me to send the Mod a PM and try to get you going?

Much appreciated, but Blazing Arrow, Childress, Bipolar and some others from that board tried to no avail....

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Much appreciated, but Blazing Arrow, Childress, Bipolar and some others from that board tried to no avail....

Well, why would they be denying you access? You have never offended them or anything if you can't post. I just sent him a PM, we'll see what he says. If not, you could alway sign up under a different username, and different email address......but it would not be the same :cry2:

Hardcore Texan
07-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey TB, pm headed your way bud.

Texan_Bill
07-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Hey TB, pm headed your way bud.

Just got it... Thanks man!!!

'You must spread rep............."

mexican_texan
07-02-2008, 10:55 PM
How is he your typical UT player? Are you an Aggie or something? Texas has a ton of studs in the NFL. Please give a bunch of facts that backs up this statement?
No, and no; I don't have that kind of attention span.

barrett
07-03-2008, 02:19 AM
roy williams is apart of your counter argument?

TexanSam
07-03-2008, 03:25 AM
I never really believed Cedric Benson had a chance in hell of coming to Houston. Not without some type of source saying that the Texans are considering it.

Glad this rumor turned out to false.

dalemurphy
07-03-2008, 07:24 AM
And I will rebut that with Cedric Griffin, Michael Huff, Bo Scaife, Ahmad Hall, Casey Hampton, Nathan Vasher, Roy Williams....

I'm not sure why you list Michael Huff here. He certainly hasn't overwhelmed the NFL so far. Roy Williams is a guy I would hate to have on my team. Cedric Griffin has been alright so far. The rest of the list, other than Hampton, are nice little players that not much was expected from and they've generally filled their roles well.

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
vince young (considered retirement after a successful rookie year?)
leonard davis (really nice big oaf, but major underachiever)
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

this is a list of elite UT players, either all high first round picks since Mack has been there, or guys that were expected to be high picks but faltered late in their college careers. all of these guys have made less of their careers than their talent would indicate largely because of work ethic or a sense of entitlement that they share.

While I think Vince hasn't underachieved (never thought he'd be a good QB until at least year 5), his considering retirement after his rookie year is further evidence of the shock UT players get when they leave the shelter of Mack Brown's bosom.

The list of elite UT talent to meet or exceed expectations in the NFL since Mack Brown:

fill in the blanks, because I can't think of many...

Casey Hampton,

If you compiled a similar list for Miami, USC, Florida St., Ohio St., etc..., you would see very different results. Those players, at a much higher ratio, enter the NFL more ready to play and have a much higher rate of living up to their potential.

Overalls
07-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Just wondering why Okam is on the list. Isn't he the kid we picked up in last Aprils draft just over 2 months ago. He hasn't had a chance to show if he is NFL quality yet. He might end up being a bust but dang give him atleast a preseason game first.

:fans:

OzzO
07-03-2008, 08:14 AM

They got tired of making fun of their own QB, huh?

:includeme:

oh, by the way.....

... let this one die. IBTL.

:locked:

Goldensilence
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure why you list Michael Huff here. He certainly hasn't overwhelmed the NFL so far. Roy Williams is a guy I would hate to have on my team. Cedric Griffin has been alright so far. The rest of the list, other than Hampton, are nice little players that not much was expected from and they've generally filled their roles well.

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

this is a list of elite UT players, either all high first round picks since Mack has been there, or guys that were expected to be high picks but faltered late in their college careers. all of these guys have made less of their careers than their talent would indicate largely because of work ethic or a sense of entitlement that they share.

While I think Vince hasn't underachieved (never thought he'd be a good QB until at least year 5), his considering retirement after his rookie year is further evidence of the shock UT players get when they leave the shelter of Mack Brown's bosom.

The list of elite UT talent to meet or exceed expectations in the NFL since Mack Brown:

Casey Hampton,

If you compiled a similar list for Miami, USC, Florida St., Ohio St., etc..., you would see very different results. Those players, at a much higher ratio, enter the NFL more ready to play and have a much higher rate of living up to their potential.

Aaron Ross for the SB champion Giants?

Ricky Williams lead the league in rushing for what that's worth. I won't even go into that saga.

Sorry Ozzo I had to.

dalemurphy
07-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Aaron Ross for the SB champion Giants?

Ricky Williams lead the league in rushing for what that's worth. I won't even go into that saga.

Sorry Ozzo I had to.

Yeah, maybe Aaron Ross. We'll see.

Are you arguing that Ricky fulfilled his potential? Nobody is arguing that Mack Brown doesn't recruit talent. He recruits amazing talent. The argument is that they tend not to develop in college and in the NFL. They tend to rest on their abilities and be their own worst enemy.

KeithW
07-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm a little amazed at the contempt for rumor mongering in this thread, especially since this notion of Benson begging for a job with the Texans (err, maybe maybe not) was never promoted as nothing more than rumor anyway and that this thread traffic is proof itself that fans are always interested in a good rumor, especially in the dead of the offseason.

And I love the holier-than-thou snap analysis that Benson is a never-was and a never-will-be, some of which coming from the same people (here and elsewhere) that were certain of the greatness that was Reggie Bush entering the NFL.

:thinking:

dalemurphy
07-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm a little amazed at the contempt for rumor mongering in this thread, especially since this notion of Benson begging for a job with the Texans (err, maybe maybe not) was never promoted as nothing more than rumor anyway and that this thread traffic is proof itself that fans are always interested in a good rumor, especially in the dead of the offseason.

And I love the holier-than-thou snap analysis that Benson is a never-was and a never-will-be, some of which coming from the same people (here and elsewhere) that were certain of the greatness that was Reggie Bush entering the NFL.

:thinking:

My position has been consistant: Benson is a never-wll-be. He was something but that was 6 years ago, as a freshman.

Regarding Bush, I was in the "no thank you" camp from the beginning, partly because I don't believe in taking a RB that high, partly because I was concerned about his ability to play every down, partly because I was concerned that the offense would be too centered around him, causing continuity issues.

That being said, if Bush is sitting out there on waivers like Benson, I'd certainly be interested!

mussop
07-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Hopefully this will put this thread to rest.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans/2008/06/2009_nfl_free_agents_1.html
(UPDATE: Wednesday, July 2) - NFL Network's Adam Schefter and Rotoworld reports that the Texans aren't interested in RB Cedric Benson and in fact it was just an internet rumor started up on message boards.

dtran04
07-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Just wondering why Okam is on the list. Isn't he the kid we picked up in last Aprils draft just over 2 months ago. He hasn't had a chance to show if he is NFL quality yet. He might end up being a bust but dang give him atleast a preseason game first.

You could argue he ended up "busting" in college. Could have been a top 10 overall pick but dropped to the 5th round.

Texan_Bill
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM

The knock on Okam has been his heart. People aren't sure if his heart's in football -or- Med School...

But I agree, let's see what the guy shows before we label him.

Big Poundcake
07-03-2008, 01:49 PM

mike williams
shaun rogers
ced benson
ricky williams
roy williams
corey redding
quentin jammer
chris simms
frank okam

Casey Hampton,

I'm late to this arguement, but I disagree. Texas may have more of a country club feel than other college's, but their athletes do well once they hit the NFL. They do have some bust in the NFL, but they have good players in the league too.

CB- Cedric Griffin-He has been better in the NFL than in college.
DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton
DT- Cory Redding- got a huge contract from Detroit not too long ago.
CB- Quentin Jammer-He has been great the last 2 seasons.
CB-Aaron Ross- Starter on a Super Bowl team.

There are more as well. If your arguement is totally true, then why do teams continue to draft Texas players and give them starting jobs on NFL teams really quickly ?

DiehardChris
07-06-2008, 01:42 AM
So has anyone who has Brett Favre as a client heard that "it looks like he's coming to Houston?" Who wants to be the one to start the thread and start the clock on a PFT.com mention?

whiskeyrbl
07-06-2008, 07:04 AM
???????

barrett
07-07-2008, 02:01 AM
i hate to ruin it but i'd love it if the last quote on this stupid offseason thread was:???????

dalemurphy
07-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm late to this arguement, but I disagree. Texas may have more of a country club feel than other college's, but their athletes do well once they hit the NFL. They do have some bust in the NFL, but they have good players in the league too.

DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton

There are more as well. If your arguement is totally true, then why do teams continue to draft Texas players and give them starting jobs on NFL teams really quickly ?

Corey Redding! give me a break. He, much like Benson, was a super-freshman who's play either diminished or plateaued as his career went on. You are right that he got a big contract, however that was based on one good 1/2 season in his 4th year... and a mistake, by the way.

Jammer has been in the league for 6? years. His reputation, earned, is as an underachieving CB... considering the front 7 he plays with, that's saying something.

Casey Hampton's been very solid.

Ced Griffin has shown some promise.

Aaron Ross looked good as a rookie.

Mike Griffin- I have no idea.

dalemurphy
07-07-2008, 09:56 AM

DB- Mike Griffin
DT-Casey Hampton

Because they are very talented athletes.

I never said that there will never be a UT player to succeed in the NFL. As a matter of a fact, I'm excited about Okam.

My argument is that the elite athlete enters UT and doesn't learn the work ethic, mental toughness, and/or the edge to be great like the same athlete from other schools. My supposition is that this is due to Mack Brown not instilling or nurturing those things in them.

It's not even that cruel of an idictment. I mean, as a UT fan, who cares what kind of player they are in the NFL as long as they succeed in college.

Texecutioner
07-07-2008, 11:02 AM
i would tay typically UT players are a bit babied. they seem to lack work ethic alot of times. they seem to have a hard time transitioning to the NFL. off the top of my head, i'll go with Benson, Young, Williams to start.

Babied? I'll give you that all day long. They are babied, because the coach is babied as well and is a soft coach. Mack is the most overatted coach in college football though. People brag about his win % all of the time, but the guy only has one Big 12 Championship in his entire tenure there. UT has more talent that every Big 12 team every season, and still manages to get beaten out of the Big 12 Championship. If UT had a really SOLID tough hard nosed head coach, then they would be competing for the NC every season instead of competing for the Holiday Bowl almost every season.

Yes, a lot of players do fall into sort of a culture shock when they get to to the NFL, but that is because UT is almost like a play ground for the players. Mack doesn't scare anyone, and they live like freaking celebs out there. They play Big 12 opponents that don't have near the talent, and so they win most of the regular season games without having to have an EXTREME work ethic.

They just got a really hard nosed D-coordinator in Muschamp though. He should have their D looking great next year.

Texecutioner
07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
Corey Redding! give me a break. He, much like Benson, was a super-freshman who's play either diminished or plateaued as his career went on. You are right that he got a big contract, however that was based on one good 1/2 season in his 4th year... and a mistake, by the way.

Jammer has been in the league for 6? years. His reputation, earned, is as an underachieving CB... considering the front 7 he plays with, that's saying something.

Casey Hampton's been very solid.

Ced Griffin has shown some promise.

Aaron Ross looked good as a rookie.

Mike Griffin- I have no idea.

Michael Griffin was a stud all year long for the Titans playing several positions and doing anything that was asked. He was arguably the best safety drafted last year.

Texecutioner
07-07-2008, 11:06 AM
You could argue he ended up "busting" in college. Could have been a top 10 overall pick but dropped to the 5th round.

He was a bust in college. He was expected to be one of the top DT's in college as a Junior and was called the Nightmare. He still couldn't live up to it as a Senior. I am hoping that he will get meaner and tougher, but we'll just have to wait and see. He has all of the tools and athleticism, and strength, but now he just needs the heart and courage.

Goldensilence
07-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Babied? I'll give you that all day long. They are babied, because the coach is babied as well and is a soft coach. Mack is the most overatted coach in college football though. People brag about his win % all of the time, but the guy only has one Big 12 Championship in his entire tenure there. UT has more talent that every Big 12 team every season, and still manages to get beaten out of the Big 12 Championship. If UT had a really SOLID tough hard nosed head coach, then they would be competing for the NC every season instead of competing for the Holiday Bowl almost every season.

Yes, a lot of players do fall into sort of a culture shock when they get to to the NFL, but that is because UT is almost like a play ground for the players. Mack doesn't scare anyone, and they live like freaking celebs out there. They play Big 12 opponents that don't have near the talent, and so they win most of the regular season games without having to have an EXTREME work ethic.

They just got a really hard nosed D-coordinator in Muschamp though. He should have their D looking great next year.

Liked the addition of Muschamp a lot. Really hoping bringing in Major Applewhite helps the offense because under Davis it's been....productive but it could and should be much better.

Mack is an okay coach but the guy is a lights out recruiter and that is where the rub is. The championship he won gave him time but I still think the clock is ticking on him again. the losses at A&M annoy me and OU is understandable but the two losses to K-State are the ones that bother me most. That team has nowhere near the talent UT does nor the burning hatred that gets the aggies up every time they play. I can buy a close match with OU but K-State?!

Texecutioner
07-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Liked the addition of Muschamp a lot. Really hoping bringing in Major Applewhite helps the offense because under Davis it's been....productive but it could and should be much better.

Mack is an okay coach but the guy is a lights out recruiter and that is where the rub is. The championship he won gave him time but I still think the clock is ticking on him again. the losses at A&M annoy me and OU is understandable but the two losses to K-State are the ones that bother me most. That team has nowhere near the talent UT does nor the burning hatred that gets the aggies up every time they play. I can buy a close match with OU but K-State?!

Mack is an awful game day coach and consistently gets our game planned and out witted. Greg Davis is a TERRIBLE offensive coordinator with the most basic play set I have ever seen. Guys from other teams have said that planning for the Horns is real simple, because they know all of the plays that they are going to run every year. Davis should have been fired years ago, but Mack won't do it because that's like his best bud which makes Mack a pretty bad coach as well because he puts his loyalties before his job and the team.

Mack is also an overatted recruiter as well. He almost will not recruit out of state at all. He has been one of the best for years, but he's gotten extremely lazy about recruiting for the last few years. I could tell you about several guys that Texas let get away because of Mack's lack of attention to them. They just lost the most exciting QB that will be a Senior next year named Russell Sheperd and it was his dream to be a Longhorn and Mack wouldn't recruit him as a QB so the guy wouldn't commit. Now the guy has committed to LSU, and has helped LSU get a ton of talented guys as well because he's a real popular guy amongst other top players. Losing Sheppard hurt BIGTIME and that was all on Mack.

You know that Charles and Finley left early because they didn't like how they were being used in the offense. Most people around the country laugh at Texas, because of the great talent that they have every year, but how Mack wastes it. VY was the leader of the team that won the NC, and it was no surprise as soon as he left the team had no leadership, several arrests, and they went right back to under achieving like they always did before VY under Mack Brown.

It will be interesting though to see what kind of impact that Applewhite can bring to the offense. It will depend on how much say so Mack and Davis give to Major. I think that he'll help the offense, but Davis will still be the guy in charge of that offense, and this year will be the worst year that Texas has had in a long time as far as play makers on the offense. Losing Charles and Finley really hurt. Their best play maker on offense right now will be on the bench playing 2nd string QB which is ridiculous, but what can you expect with Mack Brown and Greg Davis?

I'm just stoked to see what Muschamp can do with this D. Muschamp will be playing the best players unlike Mack, and I can't wait to see what a healthy Sergio Kyndle can do all season long. The guy is a beast. Personally I would love to see Muschamp become the next head coach of the Horns because he is hard nose, he really knows football, and is exactly what the spoiled babied Longhorn players need.

Drew_Smoke
07-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Jamie Dukes was just asked on NFL Total Access, "Where should Cedric Benson end up?"

He replied "The Houston Texans should be jumping all him."

LOL...good job rumor starter!

Specnatz
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Jamie Dukes was just asked on NFL Total Access, "Where should Cedric Benson end up?"

He replied "The Houston Texans should be jumping all him."

LOL...good job rumor starter!

Did he say why? I mean guys who have performed less and wanted more than my ex are in such high demand why?

GP
07-09-2008, 01:32 AM
Did he say why? I mean guys who have performed less and wanted more than my ex are in such high demand why?

Here's exactly what he said:

Fran Charles: What about Shaun Alexander?

Jamie Dukes: Teams think his legs are gone...

Charles: Surely you think someone will make a run at Shaun Alexander?

Dukes: No. There's a lot of young running backs out there who have fresh legs, and that's what teams are going to gravitate toward.

Charles: Speaking of that, Cedric Benson...released by the Bears...who should pick up him?

Dukes: Oh, gosh. The Houston Texans, I think, should be jumping all over this guy.We don't know what's going to happen, whether he's going to be suspended or not...whether he's even guilty of all these infractions because the jurisprudence process has to take place. That being said, this guy can help some team. He's a young back, who has some talent...now, was he the feature back that everybody thought he was? Maybe not. I still think someone should jump all over him, and I think the Houston Texans would be great.

----------

In case people want to know exactly what he said. Maybe this will help.

Drew_Smoke
07-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Ain't no way I could have rembered all of that or had the patience to type it out.

dalemurphy
07-09-2008, 03:27 PM

It's Jamie Dukes... "Why" has got nothing to do with it! He's just filling up airtime like he fills up a suit: a lot of excess with nothing of substance.

ObsiWan
07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Apparently Dukes didn't sit in on the production mtg or catch NFLTA the episode where Scheffler (sp?) said that the Benson-to-the-Texans thing was all just an internet rumor.

Specnatz
07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
It's Jamie Dukes... "Why" has got nothing to do with it! He's just filling up airtime like he fills up a suit: a lot of excess with nothing of substance.

HaHa, but I do not get NFLN so I have no idea what those guys are like with info.

HOU-TEX
07-09-2008, 04:00 PM
IMO, the reason he mentioned it was because we have 2 RB's that have had a tough time staying healthy and 3 RB's that are unknown Nationally. I mean, look who we had as a RB tandem the second half of last season. A Fatass and an UDFA who was cut and brought back due to Taylor's (and Green I think) injury. We, as fans, know that we have some potential at the position.

I like JDukes. Not really for the info he provides, but for the humor and for his continuous support of the Big Nasties.

Malloy
07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Apparently Dukes didn't sit in on the production mtg or catch NFLTA the episode where Scheffler (sp?) said that the Benson-to-the-Texans thing was all just an internet rumor.

Why let things like reality, facts, and stuff get in the way of to production ? :)

GP
07-09-2008, 04:25 PM
Ain't no way I could have rembered all of that or had the patience to type it out.

Only took 5 or 6 minutes...using the pause button every now and then.

I don't think Dukes mentioned Benson and Houston as being a good fit just because he saw it on the internet. I think he genuinely knows that this team has struggled to find a running back who can stay on the field. He sees a native Texan (Benson) who was let go...and it's not too far-fetched for an NFL analyst to say "You know what? Houston would be a fit for him."

We could do a lot worse than Cedric Benson. In fact, we have been doing worse than that. Would Benson succeed here? I don't know 100% for sure. But I know that the parade of free agents and late-round draft picks who have strolled through the Reliant Field tunnel over the past two seasons aren't any better than what Cedric Benson could probably provide.

The biggest "knock" on the guy is that his head doesn't seem to be screwed too firmly onto his shoulders the past few years. McNair doesn't like trouble-makers, so I'm sure Benson wasn't considered too heavily by the FO nor by a HC who doesn't have the time to babysit grown men.

The patty-cake patty-cake atmosphere under Dom Capers is GONE. Our record reflected it immediately in Kubiak's first year. I suspect that everyone on the Texans roster, especially with Mathis getting kicked to the curb, understands that there'll be no babysitting or tolerance of off-the-field stupidity.

It's too bad that Cedric hasn't put it together yet. Seemed like a pretty good RB prospect at the time.

Dcolbyt
07-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah he is just not good! i hurd that when he was runing from the cops he only rushed 2yds!

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Lets revisit an old friend shall we?

Per McClain's Blog:

2) I didn't expect the Texans to run well against the Steelers, but they had only 25 yards rushing when Pittsburgh led 35-3. The running game is a work in progress, and I can't imagine the Ravens being tougher than the Steelers as far as run defense. I think the running game needs time. Cedric Benson told the Chicago Tribune he's scheduled to try out for the Texans this week. That would mean Tuesday when general manager Rick Smith schedules tryouts for players. I wouldn't blame them for bringing in Benson at this point. After Gary Kubiak told us all summer they weren't interested in Benson, now they might be. We'll see

Per the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-080906-cedric-benson-chicago-bears,0,2606692.story

Former Bears running back Cedric Benson, released by the team June 9 after two alcohol-related off-season arrests, said Saturday he has a tryout with the Houston Texans this week[

Bring the man home. He cant do any worse.

gtexan02
09-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Unless he can play Center, LT, DE, DT, LB, CB, or S I don't think we need him.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Lets revisit an old friend shall we?

Per McClain's Blog:

Per the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-080906-cedric-benson-chicago-bears,0,2606692.story

Bring the man home. He cant do any worse.

FWIW, the Texans have denied any such visit. Per McNeck.

Vinny
09-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Ced isn't a nice enough fellow. Milkshake breath is one of the key elements to making this squad.

Mailman
09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Why would anyone want him? It's one thing to take on a proven player with significant legal baggage, but it's something else to invite that headache when the player hasn't done sh*t at the NFL level.

Steve Slaton > Cedric Benson.

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 10:53 AM

I just thought it was interesting that we keep denying he is coming to town but Ced himself has said he is coming in for a visit tomorrow.

I think it would be a good fit for him here. He would be close to home and Huntville is just down the street so if he gets into trouble he wouldnt have to travel to far.

Vinny
09-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Why would anyone want him? It's one thing to take on a proven player with significant legal baggage, but it's something else to invite that headache when the player hasn't done sh*t at the NFL level.

Steve Slaton > Cedric Benson.He runs much like Steven Davis (http://www.nfl.com/players/stephendavis/profile?id=DAV751941) ran....it took Davis years to make an impact in the NFL and when he did he was one of the best backs in the league for three straight seasons statistically and went on to have a pretty above average career to say the least...but if you look at his first 3 years he did nothing...zero.

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 10:58 AM

I am one of those people who feel that Ced never got a fair shot in Chicago. His team mates loved Thomas Jones.

He was screwed from the get go by holding out in training camp and his team never thought it was right that he was going to replace Jones without having to compete for it.

Even after Jones left there was still resentment.

A fresh start could do him some good. What could it hurt?

Corrosion
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Potential .....

Sometimes it takes a few serious mistakes for a person to wake up and realize they are scerwing themselves. Maybe he has had that lightbulb moment in his life and decided to take his career seriously. If he does he could be a solid RB .... If he doesnt .... you dont lose much in bringing the guy in for a workout.

Porky
09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
This guy is Ron Dayne with an alchohol/drug problem. If we sign him, put Duane Brown in bubble wrap. Personally, I don't think he is worth the trouble. Hell, give me Dayne over this guy. I certainly don't see Stehpen Davis in this guy. Sammy davis maybe....:pirate:

Mailman
09-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I understand the low-risk/high-reward argument, but I don't think he's a good fit. He's a plodder without breakaway speed. If Smithiak signed him to add depth at the position and backup Green and Slaton, I'm cool with it, but my fear is signing him will hinder Slaton's progress and muddy the position.

Corrosion
09-08-2008, 11:07 AM
This guy is Ron Dayne with an alchohol/drug problem. If we sign him, put Duane Brown in bubble wrap. Personally, I don't think he is worth the trouble. Hell, give me Dayne over this guy. I certainly don't see Stehpen Davis in this guy. Sammy davis maybe....:pirate:

While I tend to think you are right .... IF Benson has had that lightbulb moment .... thats a BIG IF .... He is as physically talented as any back in the league .... We couldnt complain about getting a player like that for zero compensation draft wise.

Think about it , If a guy like Pac-man can find new life in Dallas of all places , isnt it worth a look ? You just have to be certian as an orginization that the guy has his head outa his ass.

Second Honeymoon
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
lets face it, the ZBS in Houston is working out about as well as New Coke did. Even with 'Einstein' Gibbs himself we still can't run the ball. You could probably put the Tyler Rose in the backfield and we would still be a pathetic running team.

I think it all starts up top with the flatlining Kubiak and his reliance on scheme and system. Screw this 'system' garbage. Lets just run the freaking ball with an OL that uses basic football principles and not tricks and schemes. Beat your man. Rinse and repeat.

Another poor thing about schemes is once you pattern your personnel to fit the scheme and then the scheme fails, the scheme (and coach) go out the window and you have to reconfigure your personnel to fit the new system.

Just play freaking football, guys.....and that garbage I saw on the field Sunday was not football. Just freaking pathetic but something that has been pretty commonplace for Kubiak teams playing quality teams. Yeah we can beat the Dolphins of the world, but anytime we play a good team we get an asswhoopin of biblical proportions.

As for Benson, his character isn't pure as the driven snow so good luck in him coming to Houston. He isn't that good of a running back either. They screwed the pooch when they didn't address the DL and the RB position in the offseason....

let me be the first to say in 2008....FIRE KUBIAK. SCRUBIAK MUST GO.

Mailman
09-08-2008, 11:13 AM
While I tend to think you are right .... IF Benson has had that lightbulb moment .... thats a BIG IF .... He is as physically talented as any back in the league .... We couldnt complain about getting a player like that for zero compensation draft wise.

He's not as physically talented as any back in the league. There are many backs who are far more talented than Cedric Benson, and the Bears were stupid to use a first-round pick on him.

Think about it , If a guy like Pac-man can find new life in Dallas of all places , isnt it worth a look ? You just have to be certian as an orginization that the guy has his head outa his ass.

Adam Jones had an immediate impact when he came into the NFL. Benson hasn't established himself at that elite level, so the comparison is flawed. I don't care about Benson's off-field issues as much as I care about his on-field suckitude.

I'm not against trying him out, but I don't want him hindering Slaton's development. I want to see what the rookie can do first.

Texecutioner
09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
I am one of those people who feel that Ced never got a fair shot in Chicago. His team mates loved Thomas Jones.

He was screwed from the get go by holding out in training camp and his team never thought it was right that he was going to replace Jones without having to compete for it.

Even after Jones left there was still resentment.

A fresh start could do him some good. What could it hurt?

This is all one big EXCUSE for the guy. He had three years to prove himself in Chicago. THREE! He ran behind the same O line that Jones did, and Jones has never been a really good RB, but Jones always looked a lot better running the ball. My dad and I were huge Benson fans, but would say it every time we watched Chicago.

Benson got his chance when Jones was gone, and he completely blew it. Don't give us this crap about the team still resenting him as if they hated him so much that they didn't want the starting RB on their team to do well and he was screwed from the start and at the end as well. He could have won his teamates over by playing well and being a solid teamate and he chose to do the opposite, while stinking up the field.

I love it how so many in here beg to have a guy on this team who never has done squat in the NFL, even as a young guy with fresh legs on a team that had pretty good run blocking. The only thing Benson has been good at is getting in trouble with the law.

Hervoyel
09-08-2008, 11:39 AM
I just want the Texans to look under every rock and do whatever it takes to get better. I'm good with "Check out Cedric Benson and if he can't help you then go look at the next guy" without any question.

You look at guys who didn't pan out and check to see what that other team missed. You look to see if they've grown up or if they simply weren't properly motivated. Teams do this all the time and guys turn their careers around every year in the NFL.

We aren't good enough at RB to not to look at Benson but it's a moot point. We'll stand back holding our nose and pretend like we don't need to be looking to get better enough to take a look at him and it won't be because of his previous years in Chicago. It will be because he isn't wearing a halo over his head and out cleaning up overgrown lots with orphans to make them a playground every day.

We'll ignore him because he's not a model citizen. Good for us and our principles. We can finish at or below .500 until the end of time but we can always take pride in our principles.

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 11:48 AM
This is all one big EXCUSE for the guy. He had three years to prove himself in Chicago. THREE! He ran behind the same O line that Jones did, and Jones has never been a really good RB, but Jones always looked a lot better running the ball. My dad and I were huge Benson fans, but would say it every time we watched Chicago.

Benson got his chance when Jones was gone, and he completely blew it. Don't give us this crap about the team still resenting him as if they hated him so much that they didn't want the starting RB on their team to do well and he was screwed from the start and at the end as well. He could have won his teamates over by playing well and being a solid teamate and he chose to do the opposite, while stinking up the field.

I love it how so many in here beg to have a guy on this team who never has done squat in the NFL, even as a young guy with fresh legs on a team that had pretty good run blocking. The only thing Benson has been good at is getting in trouble with the law.
Wow. You sound bitter.

And as far as "Giving you crap" it was my assessment of the situation. Cedric was in a situation where his team mates didn't want him and he didn't want to play for Chicago.

I don't think anybody is begging either. I simply stated that both McClain, and the Chicago Tribune has Benson coming in for a visit. I also stated that he can't be any worse than what we got. Green is just trying to stay healthy and get to the next game so he can get paid, Slaton is a rookie, and generally speaking a torn MCL that Taylor suffered is a two year healing process.

So as you see, Ced is not worse and could be better, than what we got now.

scourge
09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
I see no problem at least looking at Ced, or Shaun Alexander for that matter.

It couldn't hurt taking a chance on either one. Both are available and neither would most likely cost too much at this point

Second Honeymoon
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Wow. You sound bitter.

And as far as "Giving you crap" it was my assessment of the situation. Cedric was in a situation where his team mates didn't want him and he didn't want to play for Chicago.

I don't think anybody is begging either. I simply stated that both McClain, and the Chicago Tribune has Benson coming in for a visit. I also stated that he can't be any worse than what we got. Green is just trying to stay healthy and get to the next game so he can get paid, Slaton is a rookie, and generally speaking a torn MCL that Taylor suffered is a two year healing process.

you mean the same McClain that gave the coaching advantage to the Texans!!! when I read that Sunday Morning I couldn't even believe it.

yeah, Texans have better coaching than the Steelers. in what alternate reality. Dick LeBeau alone owns anyone the Texans could hang their hat on and he is only the DC.

McClain is a moron but he may be right about Benson. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a look and he probably should. Its not as if we are not in need of RB help.

Mailman
09-08-2008, 11:52 AM
We'll ignore him because he's not a model citizen. Good for us and our principals. We can finish at or below .500 until the end of time but we can always take pride in our principals.

Our "principals" are AJ, Mario, DeMeco, Schaub, and now Eric Winston. Damn straight I take pride in them.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Our "principals" are AJ, Mario, DeMeco, Schaub, and now Eric Winston. Damn straight I take pride in them.

Now if we can just find 17 more.......

Hervoyel
09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Just keep looking to get better every day. That's all I ask of the Texans and it's not like we've got much to lose, except maybe our league record 53 halos.

Hervoyel
09-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Doh! Wrong "principles". My mistake.

Texecutioner
09-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow. You sound bitter.

What do you mean he can't be any worse than what we already got? Are you saying he couldn't be worse than Slaton? Slaton hasn't even got his chance yet. And he's now way better than a healthy Green. He might be as good as Taylor, I don't know about Taylor either since he was hurt last year.

But I do know that Benson sucks. He was already given every opportunity and he stunk up the field every single time, and even when he already knew that he was in the dog house he still kept getting arrested.

And the Chicago teamates didn't just all decide that they were going to alienate him from the jump. He came in very cocky and missed all of camp and thought he was just going to have the job handed to him. His teamates didn't like his attitude or his lack of work ethic, and THAT is why they didn't like the guy, but the BIGGEST reason was because they all knew that Thomas Jones was better and it was proven over a 3 year span. What they didn't know, was that Benson flat out sucked.

And again if you think that Benson isn't any worse than what we already got then compare his numbers to Dayne's numbers last year and you'll see that Dayne had more YPC. If he wasn't even better than Dayne, then he would be a waste of time on our roster.

TEXANRED
09-08-2008, 12:24 PM
What do you mean he can't be any worse than what we already got? Are you saying he couldn't be worse than Slaton? Slaton hasn't even got his chance yet. And he's now way better than a healthy Green. He might be as good as Taylor, I don't know about Taylor either since he was hurt last year.

But I do know that Benson sucks. He was already given every opportunity and he stunk up the field every single time, and even when he already knew that he was in the dog house he still kept getting arrested.

And the Chicago teamates didn't just all decide that they were going to alienate him from the jump. He came in very cocky and missed all of camp and thought he was just going to have the job handed to him. His teamates didn't like his attitude or his lack of work ethic, and THAT is why they didn't like the guy, but the BIGGEST reason was because they all knew that Thomas Jones was better and it was proven over a 3 year span. What they didn't know, was that Benson flat out sucked.

And again if you think that Benson isn't any worse than what we already got then compare his numbers to Dayne's numbers last year and you'll see that Dayne had more YPC. If he wasn't even better than Dayne, then he would be a waste of time on our roster.

You lose the argument with a pro Dayne statement.

As far as Cedric not being any worse, I stated my reasons in the last post and feel it would be a waste of time to restate them.

TIFWIW.

Texecutioner
09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
You lose the argument with a pro Dayne statement.

As far as Cedric not being any worse, I stated my reasons in the last post and feel it would be a waste of time to restate them.

TIFWIW.

I never made any pro Dayne statement. I told you to compare the YPC average hoping that you would logically see the fact that if he couldn't even produce a better YPC average than Dayne, then you'd realize how bad he really was. I hated Dayne, and never wanted him in the first place.

You made excuses for Benson in Chicago and acted like his teamates were all against him, but that excuse doesn't carry water when you had 3 years to show why you were a top 5 pick, but played so poorly that he played himself out of the league. Some of these questionable guys the Texans have signed were at least great RB's at some point or showed that they knew how to have success in the NFL, but Benson has never showed anything even in his prime years where he is supposed to be successful.

cuppacoffee
09-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Unless and until Gibbs waves his magic wand and works his miracle with our Oline, Jim Brown, in his prime, wouldn't help this team.

We have gone from an expansion team to a team that trains coaches.

We have a head coach, a defensive coordinator, an offensive coordinator all in training at the same time, not to mention training a general manager.

This could be a recipe for disaster...:gun:

Did I fail to mention, we are teaching yet another blocking scheme to the O linemen we have.

I am not proclaiming failure...just the opposite...I think the Smith/Kubiak combo will be successfull.

We are all tired of waiting and hoping, but as I see it, that's where we are.

So...to the topic at hand..:thinking:..Benson is not the answer to our problems.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

:coffee:

eriadoc
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Texecutioner, I'm not going to disagree with your take on Benson, but I will say that many of the same things were said about Thomas Jones (that he sucked, had his chance, etc). Some players can revitalize their career. Sometimes it takes a good comeuppance, and I think Benson's getting that right now. How he responds will determine if we ever see him in the NFL again. We aren't going to hear the gory details as fans, so if Smithiak signs Benson, I'll assume they've put him through the paces, evaluated his frame of mind, and not found him wanting - at least until my assumption is proven wrong.

Specnatz
09-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I would not touch this guy until his legal issues are settled, but I can understand some interest since after the first game he is on a week to week check.

Texecutioner
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
Texecutioner, I'm not going to disagree with your take on Benson, but I will say that many of the same things were said about Thomas Jones (that he sucked, had his chance, etc). Some players can revitalize their career. Sometimes it takes a good comeuppance, and I think Benson's getting that right now. How he responds will determine if we ever see him in the NFL again. We aren't going to hear the gory details as fans, so if Smithiak signs Benson, I'll assume they've put him through the paces, evaluated his frame of mind, and not found him wanting - at least until my assumption is proven wrong.

Eriadoc, you're talking to a HUGE Longhorns fan. I don't want to bash on Benson, but I can't honestly say ANYTHING good about him on the field since he left Texas.

Did you watch him at Chicago? Not just one or two games, but did you watch him a lot? I watched him a lot every year he was there, and he became a WORSE RB. Not because it was just the NFL's tougher talent, but he looked flat out poor. He doesn't have the speed burst out of the hole, he doesn't have an "shake and bake" moves, he wasn't breaking tackles well at all either. And the worst part of his game, is that he has NO BALANCE at all. Benson needs to take BALLET big time! Many RB's have taken ballet and it helped them a lot.

One of Benson's biggest problems coming out of Texas was a stumbling problem that he got in his Senior year, where it caused him to lose a lot of BIG plays. Last year, I saw him stumble all over the field losing 1st down opportunities.

The bottom line is why on earth are people asking for a RB that has never been good since he entered the league? If people hate Dayne so much, me being one of them, then why do some of you guys want a guy who was worse than Dayne last year? Please give me some reasoning other than, well maybe he learned his lesson or got a wake up call?

No wake up call is going to do anything for a guy that isn't a good NFL RB period. Did any of you guys watch Forte last night and see how much better the Bears running game was with a guy other than Benson stumbling around the field?

The only reason why anyone is mentioning Benson right now is all because of the HYPE he once had, which was 4 years ago. He's old news as far as being a successful football player, and he's nothing but a college RB that couldn't step his game up, because his work ethic was so poor in college and when he entered the NFL. He isn't even worthy of calling him a "Has Been", because he never was when it came to the NFL.

eriadoc
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Hey, I've never been a Benson fan, even when he was at UT. I always thought his backup (Charles?) was better. I'm just saying that perhaps the attitude part of the equation can be fixed.