PDA

View Full Version : Byron Leftwich Watch

Jagsbch
06-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Byron Leftwich the Cinderella story...

Guy comes in with so much explosive promise to the NFL and winds up playing for a HC who has made a career out of taking the conservative approach to the next level. This made Byron look like a fish out of water in a dink and dunk offense that utilized Byrons canons as pea shooters and his jet as a tank. The fall out between HC and QB was the result of Oil and Water philosophical approaches to the game.

What went wrong?

Byron is the type of player that plays with absolute confidence, JDR (Jack Del Rio) is the extreme opposite. He is a HC whose philosophy seems to stem from a lack of confidence, this is evident with his ultra conservative philosophy that is reflective in both his offenses as well as defense when you look at the lack of Blitz packages JDR's defense possess.

This is why David Garrard fits so well in JDR's scheme that prides itself on short and safe passing plays, and the run game. There is a reason why JDR's offense holds the record for most consequetive games without racking up 30 points... JDR's philosophy on offense is designed to do nothing more than play it safe while capitolizing on opponents mistakes. Jack may rack up wins over mediocre teams looking to take their game to the next level, but his inability to take the tack that has his team aiming for the next level, has JDR's team looking enemic in the play-offs, where he has to face the teams who have arrived at the next level with their aggressive antics having been consistently and methodically forticated.

The consistent and methodical fortification of an aggressive style play that possessed a deep threat which required faith and confidence on offense never seemed to emerge with JDR at the helm. Sad thing is Byron and the fans where promised this type offense, but the promise in the end turned out to be nothing more than lies, that is unless JDR was forced into being aggressive as a last dicth effort to make a come back this predictable antics did more to shatter JDR's confidence that reforticate it with an aggressive approach towards the deep passing game.

Byron Leftwich being an intelligent QB never got the opportunity to have control of the offense to the point of making the audibals that would allow him to make the call to change the play when the offensive play at the time was poised right at the teeth of the defense. Byron like a lot of fans bought into the notion that with Koetter in town he and the fans would finally see an aggressive passing offense emerge, alas that too was a lie and the Jaguars passing offense with Gray and Garrard wound up finishing 19th overall...

Byron being on the rebound wound up playing for the worst possible team, Falcons not only lacked an offensive line, receivers with sure hands, he was also playing with a disgruntled lockerroom that was contentious towards a coach who walked out on the team. To make matters worst the team brought in a conservative defensive minded coach who too was looking to go the conservative route as well.

Byron has proved to be an exceptional player when allowed to explore the facet of the game that had him drafted in the top 10. His mind at the line and in the pocket, as well as his stregnth and accuracy with the deep pass. Byron will fit on a team whos HC approaches the offense with a philosophy that has it taking a tack to being a top shelf offense.

Jaguars last season proved that DG was not one to take them deep into the play-offs with 7 turnovers in his last 4 games against play-off contenders, he proved to be a pretender when it came to playing against contenders. It would have been 8 turnovers had an int not been called back thanks to a phantom holding call against Indy. Byron Leftwich has the metal to contend against the best teams in the league, he has proven this time and time again, even in JDR's ultra conservative offense.

I still remember the game where Byron took it upon himself to make the call in the huddle that had him launching a bomb into the endzone to Jimmy Smith. Jimmy after the game in an interview said that Byron and he had to find a way to get into the game as if the scheme itself was keeping them out of it. JDR's scheme did more to hinder the offense due to his lack of confidence and faith in an aggressive philosophical approach than help it with Byron at the helm.

Byron Leftwich spent 5 years playing with his hand tied behind his back in JDR's ultra conservative offense, it is up to a team who take an aggressive approach to see what this ugly duckling can do... I am still waiting and watching.

gg no re
06-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Seems like the Texans and the Titans aren't alone in the AFC South when it comes to struggling QBs with untapped potential.

Brando
06-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Leftwich's weakness is his wind up and mobility. Has he signed with anyone yet?

TEXANS84
06-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Byron needs to find a home with a good offensive line that doesn't require him to be mobile. If he finds that as a backup, he'll be ok and possibly get his stock back up.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Byron Sammich needs to join a team with an awesome cafeteria... :smiliedance:

Seņor Stan
06-26-2008, 01:00 PM
Does Mr. Drummond work in any of the NFL front offices?

Brando
06-26-2008, 01:03 PM
Does Mr. Drummond work in any of the NFL front offices?

Whutchyoutalkinabout? :heh:

TexansLucky13
06-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm not convinced about Leftwich's abilities, to be honest.

I remember a few years back when he got hurt and Garrard came in and won like 4 out of the last 5 games (something like that). For some reason, they decided to put Leftwich in for the playoff game. The Patriots then proceeded to dismantle him (Asante was especially hard on him in that game).

I agree with Texans84.... he needs to go to a place with good pass protection and work his way from the bottom up. I did read that he lost some weight... that's good. I wonder where he will land.

Texan_Bill
06-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Drew Bledsoe thinks Byron Leftwich is a statue.

Double Barrel
06-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Interesting read, Jagsbch. I did not know some of that stuff about JDR.

Somebody will pick up Leftwich at some point. I mean, if Carr can find a job, I have no doubt that BL can land somewhere. Maybe the Vikings, Packers, or Ravens?

Brando
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM

Somebody will pick up Leftwich at some point. I mean, if Carr can find a job, I have no doubt that BL can land somewhere. Maybe the Vikings, Packers, or Ravens?

I hope so, they are on our schedule...of course I said that about Joey Harrington. We know how that turned out.:scarygirl:

Texecutioner
06-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Byron needs to find a home with a good offensive line that doesn't require him to be mobile. If he finds that as a backup, he'll be ok and possibly get his stock back up.

Eh, I dunno man. Not only has he proven that he is not mobile at all, but he has also proven that when he gets hit, HE GOES DOWN. Every QB will get hit when they're in the game, and cement shoes Leftwich will most likely be riding off in the cart by halftime. He's had terrible injury problems since college.

Jagsbch
06-26-2008, 06:15 PM

Matt Jones is another player who is looking like a fish out of water in JDR's offense. As far as I am concerned Matt has Randy Moss Syndrome when he was in Oakland.

JDR had the #1 receiver on the team last season inactive for the first game, a game we lost. Matt was inactive for 4 games... JDR has no love for the passing offense.

The Jaguars having been built on the legacy of 4 consequetive losing seasons managed to inherit a team that was IMO actually on the verge of a Dynasty had JDR not taking a tack in the opposite directions of the talent he possessed in the passing game.

Jimmy Smith was underutilized in the deep passing game, the same with Matt Jones and Byron Leftwich. it was as if JDR went to huge strides to insure the Jaguars offense never won a game due to the passing game. JDR is the Anti Christ of passing offenses. in the process he has taken a team that could have been a JAGernaught to Not due to JDR's determined philosophy to win games with the defense. This is a guy who played to win by the least points possible so his defense could take the glory off the field.

JDR is a guy who has mastered the art of crawling down the field of play. at one point last season he was moving the offense at a pace of 7 seconds a yard. Sluggish was not even the word for it. Jaguars football is dull and draby for the fan who is accustomed to watching east coast offense.

I grew up in the Spurrier era, Marino and Shula, lynn Swann, watching TC spread defense with 5 WR's, then along comes the Anti Christ of QB's to just ruin my life with night considering the night and day difference from what this team was built to do.

Byrons injuries where brought on partially by the philosophy that kept the box stacked with a lack of a deep threat with the offensive passing game, not to mention having LT's such as Ephraim Salami protecting him at left tackle. JDR's philosophy required a mobile QB because he went to the well to many times with the same predictable passing plays that Byron was forced to struggle connecting with.

Hearing teams like the Titans with their coaching staff saying the Jags played into their hands was also frustrating especially knowing it before the fact. JDR's playing his lack of faith philosophy sickens me to no end, especially when seeing it being successfully implemented against teams who are trying to possess the faith it takes to take their team to the next level of sophistication and aggressive play.

It is no wonder why the Jaguars since JDR struggle to not only make and win play-off games, but get local fans to buy into his pathetic philosophy let alone corporations to buythe stadium naming rights. Jaguars and the city lost 7 mil last season and the way it is going they may be going yet another season without getting a contract done...

This is Gator country and JDR is trying to sell the exact opposite of what makes us passionate about the game, Faith~!! This team was on the verge of being a dynasty, JDR put it in the meat grinder of his physical ultra conservative philosophy, that has the Jaguars window of opportunity about to slam shut...

JDR's approach has taken its toll on some of the best players on the team, not only offense but defense as well, Stroud, Peterson, Mathis, Hayward, Darius, McCray... I am astounded to see how what could have been has turned into something I would prefer to fluch down the toilet.