PDA

View Full Version : This time around, three ailing stars must align in Texas(Article USA Today)

Brando
06-25-2008, 11:30 AM
The Houston Texans entered last season with hopes of making the first playoff appearance in franchise history. But when coach Gary Kubiak watched game film of his top three offensive performers, he often found himself staring at quarterback Sage Rosenfels, running back Ron Dayne and wide receiver Kevin Walter.
Matt Schaub, Ahman Green and Pro Bowler Andre Johnson, the men atop the depth chart, could frequently be located in the vicinity of the trainers' room. Quarterback Schaub (shoulder, concussion), running back Green (knee) and wide receiver Johnson (knee) were on the field together for only two games last season.

Read more here...USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/texans/2008-06-24-organization-report_N.htm)

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/nfl_10year_win_07/texans.gif

Hardcore Texan
06-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Good read until the last couple of lines:

Outlook: The Texans have a legitimate shot at their first winning record. But dreams of a playoff appearance figure to remain just that, thanks to a combination of health concerns and playing in perhaps the NFL's toughest division. The Indianapolis Colts and Jacksonville Jaguars probably are still out of their reach.

Dems fightin' words pal..... :pirate: :cowboy1: :boxing: :fight: :tedc: resulting in this for our opponents....:ouch:

Wolf
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
"Matt's our quarterback, period," Kubiak says. "We know who our No. 1 is, and we know who our No. 2 is, and hopefully we'll be able to keep Matt upright."

I agree with the statement, yet i don't.. and this has been dissected to death on another thread on Sage starting.. (not saying he should or shouldn't), just I realize this is a boost in confidence in Matt but to me.. If Sage beats Matt...Sage should start.. if not Matt should start.. I kinda don't like the "cut and dry" approach..with that statement.. Kubiak has stated that everyone has to work for his job,no matter what the salary is.. so why is the QB position any different?

brakos82
06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/nfl_10year_win_07/texans.gif

The fact that it says they had to "research" that scares me a bit. :aggressive:

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Kubiak has stated that everyone has to work for his job,no matter what the salary is.. so why is the QB position any different?

Because the Qb position is different. The Qb is the defacto team leader and on-field coach.

Besides that, how many players who had successful seasons the year before actually have to "win" their jobs in training camp? I doubt Ladanian Tomlinson has to fight for his spot on openning day during the preseason.

Wolf
06-25-2008, 12:21 PM
Because the Qb position is different. The Qb is the defacto team leader and on-field coach.

Besides that, how many players who had successful seasons the year before actually have to "win" their jobs in training camp? I doubt Ladanian Tomlinson has to fight for his spot on openning day during the preseason.

well while i agree with most but LT is in a very different class than MS or SR... I like Matt as Qb .. but he needs to fight with the rest of them.. This isn't Payton Manning at the helm ..(as QB's ) but both players on our squad are top half of the pack in terms of QB.. not elite

infantrycak
06-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Kubiak has stated that everyone has to work for his job,no matter what the salary is.. so why is the QB position any different?

Who outside of MB's says it is different? Some folks around here assume there is no competition at QB. The fact very well could be all the coaches (and more importantly in the end, Kubiak) honestly believe there is no comparison and Schaub is the clearly better QB.

Wolf
06-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Who outside of MB's says it is different? Some folks around here assume there is no competition at QB. The fact very well could be all the coaches (and more importantly in the end, Kubiak) honestly believe there is no comparison and Schaub is the clearly better QB.

that is true.. And yes I thought about Kubiak"hand picked" Schaub... so he has his guy..I just wonder what is says to a backup Qb when on a MB it seems both are pretty similar..except Schaub didn't have AJ last season for most of it and performed well.. going statwise. similar

Brando
06-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Good read until the last couple of lines:

Dems fightin' words pal..... :pirate: :cowboy1: :boxing: :tedc: resulting in this for our opponents....:ouch:

I actually liked it because they didn't include the Titans. :heh:

threetoedpete
06-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Last thing Kubes wants is a divided Locker room over the #1 QB. Until MS is traded or goes off the field in a body body bag, he's the guy. Period. In a way I agree with you. Until the o-line gets situated....I'd start Rosenfeild, er Rosenfels. Let him absorb the punishment. Not going to happen.

The good thing 'bout the article, we're still under the radar. Everything comes together...and we got quite a few "everythings"...we're going to shock some folks this year.

By Scott Zucker, good job.

Can't make it any more clear wolf...Kubiack isn't going to open that pandora's box unless the sitution is dire ...read one of them is dead.

Wolf
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Last thing Kubes wants is a divided Locker room over the #1 QB. Until MS is traded or goes off the field in a body body bag, he's the guy. Period. In a way I agree with you. Until the o-line gets situated....I'd start Rosenfeild. Let him absorb the punishment. Not going to happen.

The good thing 'bout the article, we're still under the radar. Everything comes together...and we got quite a few "everythings"...we're going to shock some folks this year.

I am not even in a Start Sage person(if you are refering to my post).. I am more of a if Sage beats out Matt.. then he does.. if Matt beats out Sage then cool.. but i do see where Kubiak wants the team to know who is leading this team

barrett
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
it's clear to me. what more proof do you need people?

TK_Gamer
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
wow, we are gonna start training camp with people allready looking to start Sage. Drama.com I'm gonna stop now.

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm a big fan of Sage. I'm thrilled that we didn't trade him. However, it's pretty clear that Schaub's abilities surpass Sage's.. And, there is no evidence that Schaub won't fulfill his potential- he's a hard-worker, his teammates believe in him, and he's still quite young. So, why on earth would anyone want to limit the potential at the QB position by starting Sage over a healthy Schaub?

Vinny
06-25-2008, 12:41 PM
wow, we are gonna start training camp with people allready looking to start Sage. Drama.com I'm gonna stop now.

I remember a small group of fans clamoring for Commander Cody and Bucky Richardson...at least that didn't last too long.

Brando
06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I remember a small group of fans clamoring for Commander Cody and Bucky Richardson...at least that didn't last too long.

I remember that. The back up QB is always the fan favorite.

Texans_Chick
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Most interesting part of the article to me:

"Alex is a perfectionist, and he'll make sure we're running it right," Kubiak says of the offense's altered philosophy under Gibbs. "If anything, he's simplified it a little bit."

As it relates to line work, simple can be good. Less thinking, more doing. All the players keep repeating how the blocking looks the same whether running or passing.

//stuff noodling around in my head alert. I think that this can help us in division. Because teams face you twice a year and have greater pressure to beat you, they spend more time focusing on tendencies and have more opportunity to find those tendencies.

I think that having a more unified offensive vision for the line may make it harder for teams to accurately guess pass or run.

ChampionTexan
06-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I am not even in a Start Sage person(if you are refering to my post).. I am more of a if Sage beats out Matt.. then he does.. if Matt beats out Sage then cool.. but i do see where Kubiak wants the team to know who is leading this team

If Kubiak deep in his heart is uncertain about who's the best QB for this team, and as a result goes into TC with an open mind about the starter, it would still be in his best interest to say what he said. QB controversies do no good at any point in the season or off-season and should be avoided if reasonably possible. He still has the right to change his mind based on what happens in pre-season, but to even hint that the guy you paid a high price for might not be "The guy" after only one season is not the message you want to send to your locker room, your owner, your fans (Well most of them anyway), or your competitors.

If Kubiak deep in his heart believes that Schaub is simply better, and nothing Sage can do in the controlled atmosphere of Training Camp, and the only semi-meaningful (at best) atmosphere of pre-season games can change his mind, then he's simply telling the truth. This, FWIW, is what I consider to be the more likely scenario.

Finally, even if he thinks the two are currently somewhat equal, he may view Schaub as having more potential and upside which can only be realized through playing in real-life NFL games. If this were the case, even if he gave Sage a slight edge currently, it would be in his and the Texans best interest to start Schaub anyway.

Whatever the actual beliefs held by Kubiak, I think he said the appropriate thing.

barrett
06-25-2008, 01:25 PM
agreed. texans chick. same goes for the vanilla defense theory.

the thing that i thought was interesting about gibbs was something that winston said in that interview on ht.com

something about that gibbs told them to change it up. change up there look as individuals so that the defense doesn't see the same thing from each guy. he's a perfectionist who wants it run a certain way but he's designed it so that they have wiggle room to do things differently from snap to snap.

he's amazing.

ObsiWan
06-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Barrett made the same point I was about to make....

Capt. Caveman aka, Eric Winston said Gibbs wanted the guys to (a) read the defenses and pick up tendencies while (b) changing their techniques up enough to prohibit the enemy from picking up tendencies from us.

That sounds like more thinking, not less. I think Gibbs' will have the O-line in More thinking and even MORE doing mode.

thunderkyss
06-25-2008, 03:18 PM
If Kubiak deep in his heart is uncertain about who's the best QB for this team, and as a result goes into TC with an open mind about the starter, it would still be in his best interest to say what he said. QB controversies do no good at any point in the season or off-season and should be avoided if reasonably possible.

QB controversies are good for the media. & that's about it.

There is no controversy here, as long as we are just as likely to win with Matt, as we are with Sage. Until the rest of the team(not us MB Coaches/GM) feel they have a better chance od winning without Schaub, we don't have a controversy.

SouthSideTexan
06-25-2008, 03:55 PM

WOW.... I completely forgot about that one. I was at the dome for that game...that was hilarious. Cody, Cody, Cody.... INT.....Bucky,,Bucky, Bucky. Talk about a walk down memory lane. :gun:

Texans_Chick
06-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Barrett made the same point I was about to make....

Capt. Caveman aka, Eric Winston said Gibbs wanted the guys to (a) read the defenses and pick up tendencies while (b) changing their techniques up enough to prohibit the enemy from picking up tendencies from us.

That sounds like more thinking, not less. I think Gibbs' will have the O-line in More thinking and even MORE doing mode.

You do less things, but you do those fewer things better.

NBT
06-25-2008, 06:31 PM
Thing is Schaub cost us 2 seconds and $48M I beieve. Sage was a F/A pickup who costs only $700K/year. kubiak's prestige as a QB guru is at stake if Schaub doesn't start, and look good doing it.

Back to the thread starter though, if Schaub, Green, and AJ aren't healthy all year (or most of it), there goes our playoff chances.

ObsiWan
06-25-2008, 06:34 PM
You do less things, but you do those fewer things better.

I'm all for that.
Sounds like Winston was too.

thunderkyss
06-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Thing is Schaub cost us 2 seconds and $48M I beieve. Sage was a F/A pickup who costs only $700K/year. kubiak's prestige as a QB guru is at stake if Schaub doesn't start, and look good doing it.

Back to the thread starter though, if Schaub, Green, and AJ aren't healthy all year (or most of it), there goes our playoff chances.

Honestly, I believe Sage is as good as Schuab, then with Chris Brown, Steve Slaton, Chris Taylor & maybe Darius Walker, I think we'll be Okay there as well.

losing AJ is the only really scary one. IMHO

aj.
06-25-2008, 07:32 PM
If Schaub stays healthy this season he will be a top ten QB. If he doesn't, there's an increasing chance that he won't get that $10 million option bonus to trigger the last three years of his contract ('10 - '12). Forget the 48 million talk for now. By the end of this season, Schaub will have cost the Texans 13 million in salary and bonuses, and the two second rounders. I think (hope) our owner has learned his lesson about getting too attached to certain players and throwing around option money as if it doesn't matter.

ObsiWan
06-25-2008, 08:18 PM
If the stars REEEALLY align perfectly, we'll be in the playoffs this year and the next and then be in Super Bowl XLV, just in time to help Jerry showcase his new stadium.
:D

Texanmike02
06-25-2008, 09:03 PM
WOW.... I completely forgot about that one. I was at the dome for that game...that was hilarious. Cody, Cody, Cody.... INT.....Bucky,,Bucky, Bucky. Talk about a walk down memory lane. :gun:

Anybody remember that game against the cowboys?

Brando
06-25-2008, 09:09 PM
If the stars REEEALLY align perfectly, we'll be in the playoffs this year and the next and then be in Super Bowl XLV, just in time to help Jerry showcase his new stadium.
:D

That would be sweet!:texflag:

The1ApplePie
06-25-2008, 09:47 PM
Outside of salary, there is no reason for MS to have an edge.

At this point, both are just overhyped back-ups

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Outside of salary, there is no reason for MS to have an edge.

At this point, both are just overhyped back-ups

sure, if age, talent, athleticism, coaches opinion, leadership ablities all have nothing to do with it then you're right, MSchaub shouldn't have an edge.

barrett
06-27-2008, 10:29 AM
are those factors? are you drunk dale?