PDA

View Full Version : Sherman Talks Texans

Tailgate
06-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Didn't see this anywhere here. But if you haven't seen the video yet... its a quick interview with the new Aggie coach on what he thinks will become of the Texans moving forward.

The comment of note I saw is that he thinks the Texans leadership from the top down and decision making overall and the way they go about it is the best he has ever seen. Not to mention he predicts a Super Bowl for Kubiak sometime in the future. Gotta be pretty confident to make that statement imo. Not bad from someone who has been a coach in the NFL for over a decade and who is second only to Lombardi in winning % as a head coach for the Packers.

Pretty much reaffirms what most of us have come to acknowledge after witnessing first hand the job this new regime has done since arrival... and what it has taken to get us where we are today.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1612745661&channel=716039752http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1612745661&channel=716039752

IlliniJen
06-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Didn't see this anywhere here. But if you haven't seen the video yet... its a quick interview with the new Aggie coach on what he thinks will become of the Texans moving forward.

The comment of note I saw is that he thinks the Texans leadership from the top down and decision making overall and the way they go about it is the best he has ever seen. Not to mention he predicts a Super Bowl for Kubiak sometime in the future. Gotta be pretty confident to make that statement imo. Not bad from someone who has been a coach in the NFL for over a decade and who is second only to Lombardi in winning % as a head coach for the Packers.

Pretty much reaffirms what most of us have come to acknowledge after witnessing first hand the job this new regime has done since arrival... and what it has taken to get us where we are today.

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1612745661&channel=716039752http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1612745661&channel=716039752

This is the kind of news and opinion that gets Texans fans all nipply. I love hearing such a high opinion of the franchise and Kubes.

TexansFanatic
06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Freaking awesome.

CloakNNNdagger
06-23-2008, 10:58 PM
It is, indeed, good to hear these positive words from a highly respected NFL voice. It's a shame, though, that he was almost single-handedly responsible for a significant Texans setback due to bastardizing the projected ZB scheme with a "hybrid" form which unsuccessfully tried to incorporate his favored power running game.

dalemurphy
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
It is, indeed, good to hear these positive words from a highly respected NFL voice. It's a shame, though, that he was almost single-handedly responsible for a significant Texans setback due to bastardizing the projected ZB scheme with a "hybrid" form which unsuccessfully tried to incorporate his favored power running game.

This team had Salaam at LT and still only allowed 22 sacks all season.

The truth is that it would've been difficult to run a zone scheme with guys like Flanagan, McKinney on the line. Also, without a RB to stretch the sidelines or a real athletic threat at QB, the zone stretch and bootleg weren't going to be very effective.

I'm certainly thrilled that Gibbs is here and think he'll improve things a great deal. However, he's going to have more talent at RB and OL to work with. Not to mention he's probably the greatest OL coach in the history of the NFL.

Goldensilence
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
I like Sherman and think he's an okay coach who inherited a pretty damn good Packers team and slowly let it slide.

I think his time here as a coach was a good early steadying hand and was crucial to adding credibility to a young staff and organization. His approach to Football didn't mesh well with our head coach's and I am glad for his service but glad he's moved on as well.

TexanSam
06-23-2008, 11:24 PM
I think the leadership from the top down is a big reason that Ray Rhodes and Alex Gibbs decided to come and coach for the Texans.

TexansLucky13
06-24-2008, 12:42 AM
I can't wait to purchase my "Texans: The Greatest Dynasty of All Time" holographic video when it comes out in 2028.

:homer:

TexanSam
06-24-2008, 12:49 AM
I can't wait to purchase my "Texans: The Greatest Dynasty of All Time" holographic video when it comes out in 2028.

I've already placed my copy! :doot:

76Texan
06-24-2008, 01:38 AM
I like Sherman and think he's an okay coach who inherited a pretty damn good Packers team and slowly let it slide.

I think his time here as a coach was a good early steadying hand and was crucial to adding credibility to a young staff and organization. His approach to Football didn't mesh well with our head coach's and I am glad for his service but glad he's moved on as well.
But what the heck is that with Shanahan pretty much abandon the ZBS against the Chargers?

How we weren't able to stay with the same 3-4 against the Chargers after a while?
Is there an inherent disadvantage in the ZBS against a very efficient 3-4?

How did the ZBS guys adjust and continue to counter it?

Against the Cowgurls, the Pats as well.

I'm just questioning.
I need to go back and see what we did against the Chargers, it wasn't pretty anyway.

Sorry, but I believe in good football!

76Texan
06-24-2008, 01:56 AM

The truth is that it would've been difficult to run a zone scheme with guys like Flanagan, McKinney on the line. Also, without a RB to stretch the sidelines or a real athletic threat at QB, the zone stretch and bootleg weren't going to be very effective.

I'm certainly thrilled that Gibbs is here and think he'll improve things a great deal. However, he's going to have more talent at RB and OL to work with. Not to mention he's probably the greatest OL coach in the history of the NFL.
Sorry, but at times I feel your usage of the term such as "the truth is" cannot be consider well-founded. When you make such a strong statement, you really need to back it up, for it's not mere opinion anymore.
Again, I agree that you have good points at times.
To make a certain really strong statement, I do think that you should bring more to the table.

Nothing personal! :specnatz:

barrett
06-24-2008, 02:37 AM
dale brings ALOT to the table. i mean ALOT! you should see him put back a 72oz. sirloin and ask for extra sour cream for his potato!

oh, also, the truth is, he's a pathological liar.

thunderkyss
06-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Sorry, but at times I feel your usage of the term such as "the truth is" cannot be consider well-founded. When you make such a strong statement, you really need to back it up, for it's not mere opinion anymore.
Again, I agree that you have good points at times.
To make a certain really strong statement, I do think that you should bring more to the table.

Nothing personal! :specnatz:

The truth is that Kubiak himself said we didn't have the people to run his ZBS. He talked about the difficulty installing the system, at one point, going back and starting from scratch.

The only oddity, is drafting Charles Spencer. He's not a ZBS guy, and I can't imagine them thinking they'll make him one.

Vinny
06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
The truth is that Kubiak himself said we didn't have the people to run his ZBS. He talked about the difficulty installing the system, at one point, going back and starting from scratch.

The only oddity, is drafting Charles Spencer. He's not a ZBS guy, and I can't imagine them thinking they'll make him one.

its about feet...not size of your chest. If you have the feet and the athleticism that is all that matters (unless you are too small). Spencer had great feet.

dalemurphy
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
its about feet...not size of your chest. If you have the feet and the athleticism that is all that matters (unless you are too small). Spencer had great feet.

Sighs... sobs... and then wipes away the tears.

barrett
06-24-2008, 12:59 PM

when? i don't remember reading or hearing him say that. although i agree that was the case. i just don't remember him being that frank. or that gary i should say.

barrett
06-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Sighs... sobs... and then wipes away the tears.

wahhhh. get over it. that was forever ago. i've dried up all my tears with the new tissue brand "potential".

False Start
06-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Good read . Thanks for the link . I cant wait to tell all my uncles who are Cowgirl fans .......... I TOLD YOU SO !! :trophy: :jam:

Texan_Bill
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM

2028???? *does the math* Dude, I'll be 60 years old!! I'll have less teeth than a 21 year old Titan fan.... Well, then again - maybe not. :spit:

ChampionTexan
06-24-2008, 03:49 PM
2028???? *does the math* Dude, I'll be 60 years old!! I'll have less teeth than a 21 year old Titan fan.... Well, then again - maybe not. :spit:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005V9IH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpghttp://

Double Barrel
06-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Good to hear about our front office. We just need to see it result in a winning season.

CloakNNNdagger
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM

At the beginning of Kubiak's reign, no one heard anything about anything but the ZBS we were installing...........untill Sherman joined the mix. I would have to counter, then, that we certainly didn't have the personel to play the Sherman power run game with man to man offensive line, and with the type of running backs we had, either. Trying to placate 2 coaches with diametrically opposed philosophies, we ended up loosing precious time actively acquiring, compiling and building a hodgepodge of players that as a group fit neither scheme. JIMHO

ObsiWan
06-24-2008, 07:45 PM
I dunnooooo...
he also said "Richard Smith is doing a phenomenal job..."
:thinking:
maybe he was just being politically correct about that part

barrett
06-25-2008, 12:52 PM
isn't it possible that you've got some guys that are more suited for the power game and some guys that would be good fits for the ZBS and you've got a Head coach that's a ZBS guy and an OC that's a power guy and you look at each other and say... lets see what we can create? it's not so far fetched. it would have been worth trying. they tried. we couldn't run. sherman got a job, we go back to what the remaining coach knows. we draft guys that fit that scheme. oh and he brings in the guy who invented the scheme.

it's not like we "lost time". it seems like to me that we were bringing in guys that fit the ZBS more than the power (mostly anyway). guys that were more athletic. hell, even spencer who was a monster was supposedly pretty athletic all the young linemen like winston, brisel and fry and eslinger, all seem to me like they were more athletic types. i can't speak for guys like scott jackson, studdard or the guys we already had installed like pitts and weary but it does seem like we were making moves that suited the ZBS.

but while you've got the guys that you've got. and you've got the coaches that you've got, it's reasonable to try and make it work.

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
isn't it possible that you've got some guys that are more suited for the power game and some guys that would be good fits for the ZBS and you've got a Head coach that's a ZBS guy and an OC that's a power guy and you look at each other and say... lets see what we can create? it's not so far fetched. it would have been worth trying. they tried. we couldn't run. sherman got a job, we go back to what the remaining coach knows. we draft guys that fit that scheme. oh and he brings in the guy who invented the scheme.

it's not like we "lost time". it seems like to me that we were bringing in guys that fit the ZBS more than the power (mostly anyway). guys that were more athletic. hell, even spencer who was a monster was supposedly pretty athletic all the young linemen like winston, brisel and fry and eslinger, all seem to me like they were more athletic types. i can't speak for guys like scott jackson, studdard or the guys we already had installed like pitts and weary but it does seem like we were making moves that suited the ZBS.

but while you've got the guys that you've got. and you've got the coaches that you've got, it's reasonable to try and make it work.

I don't think our problem running the ball last year was schematic. I think we had a Ron Dayne problem. Despite a definite lack of talent on the line (salaam, flanagan), we only gave up 22 sacks for the season, easily the best pass protection in the organization's history. Also, we had more big plays in the passing game and 3rd and long conversions. I think Sherman and Benton deserve a lot of credit for that.

barrett
06-25-2008, 01:13 PM
i agree that they were positives not negative. i was just saying that people are poo pooing the idea of running the zone/power hybrid with the "wrong guys" and i'm just saying it wasn't a bad idea. it didn't work, (see dayne and flannigan) but i don't think it was a bad idea.

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 01:16 PM
i agree that they were positives not negative. i was just saying that people are poo pooing the idea of running the zone/power hybrid with the "wrong guys" and i'm just saying it wasn't a bad idea. it didn't work, (see dayne and flannigan) but i don't think it was a bad idea.

I know, Barrett... That was me being agreeable.

barrett
06-25-2008, 01:21 PM
you could agree with a grill cheese sandwich. what's your point?

Texans_Chick
06-25-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think our problem running the ball last year was schematic. I think we had a Ron Dayne problem. Despite a definite lack of talent on the line (salaam, flanagan), we only gave up 22 sacks for the season, easily the best pass protection in the organization's history. Also, we had more big plays in the passing game and 3rd and long conversions. I think Sherman and Benton deserve a lot of credit for that.

...and having quarterbacks who have pocket presence and know where the ball is supposed to go.
...and having a legitimate offensive scheme that is a proven one as opposed to some cobbled together one (that helps deal with the deficiences at the QB position).

The passing game looked good because the people running it were all on the same page. I think the problems with the running game were a combo of personnel (both line and joke running backs) and scheme issues.

I think this upcoming year is the first year of the offense where it is going to look like what Kubiak wants it to look like. And not sort of the best they can do given their coaching staff and personnel. It won't be a compromise sort of scheme.

Head coach - OC - line guru: all on the same page.

This is the year we figure out whether you can get lots of running yards in the scheme no matter who the running back is.

dalemurphy
06-25-2008, 01:43 PM
...and having quarterbacks who have pocket presence and know where the ball is supposed to go.
...and having a legitimate offensive scheme that is a proven one as opposed to some cobbled together one (that helps deal with the deficiences at the QB position).

The passing game looked good because the people running it were all on the same page. I think the problems with the running game were a combo of personnel (both line and joke running backs) and scheme issues.

I think this upcoming year is the first year of the offense where it is going to look like what Kubiak wants it to look like. And not sort of the best they can do given their coaching staff and personnel. It won't be a compromise sort of scheme.

Head coach - OC - line guru: all on the same page.

This is the year we figure out whether you can get lots of running yards in the scheme no matter who the running back is.

I agree with everything you're saying with one exception: that the scheme was a cause for our difficulty running the ball. Perhaps you're right that it was ill-advised to attempt to mesh the two systems together. And, perhaps, with a healthy McKinney and AGreen or CTaylor those problems would've inhibited our ability to run the ball. However, we had that patchwork line all year with Ron Dayne running the ball. Therefore, we didn't have anywhere near the athleticism to successful run the zone stretch- which is the staple of that offense. The only way Dayne could ever attack the edge is with pulling linemen.

Stephanie, I know you were worried about this amalgamated offense in the preseason last year. And, I don't mean to suggest that you were wrong to have concerns. My point simply is that, with the way the season panned out, it was inevitable that we would have to move away from the ZBS and that we'd struggle in the running game.

Looking back, I'm pleased with what Sherman was able to do with that offense given the obstacles. That being said, I'm thrilled with the direction and leadership of the offense moving forward without him.